PDA

View Full Version : M4 speeding crackdown.

Barry Shitpeas
27-07-16, 21:38
Apparently because the variable limit between Tredegar Park and Coldra is being completely ignored (due to the fact that everyone knows the gantry cameras don't work) there was meant to be a crackdown starting this week.

The cameras are still not working and I've yet to see a single police car or speed camera van this week. So presumably it was all bullshit? :shrug:

kingbillyboy
27-07-16, 21:39
Apparently because the variable limit between Tredegar Park and Coldra is being competently ignored (due to the fact that everyone knows the gantry cameras don't work) there was meant to be a crackdown starting this week.

The cameras are still not working and I've yet to see a single police car or speed camera van this week. So presumably it was all bullshit? :shrug:

wouldnt bother me. my bmw is so fast the cameras cant pick it up.

jamieccfc
27-07-16, 21:42
I don't take the risk because I know as soon as I go over the limit those fecking cameras will be working

Mario Miethig
27-07-16, 21:52
Always try and stick to speed limits now, wherever I drive. Done for speeding three times in 3.5 years and two speed awareness courses have put paid to driving over the speed limits. Get people quite frequently drive up my arse in 30 zones, but feck em, I don't want to be done again.
Passed my test in 88 and didn't get any sort of driving conviction till 2004. Got to drive like a saint nowadays to make sure you don't get convictions.

Llanedeyrnblue
28-07-16, 07:37
These speed restrictions are there to ease congestion they say, how can you do that by slowing down cars? It's a motorway FFS when if ever is the new road going to happen?

lardy
28-07-16, 07:56
These speed restrictions are there to ease congestion they say, how can you do that by slowing down cars? It's a motorway FFS when if ever is the new road going to happen?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/traffic-engineers-say-slowing-down-will-get-you-through-a-jam-faster-1415386073

The faster everyone goes in congestion, the more likely there is to be sudden braking which ripples backwards.

Banc Blue
28-07-16, 10:22
While they're at it could the sort out all the middle lane hoggers?

Dr Lecter
28-07-16, 10:33
Simple solution.

All pensioners can only drive between the hours of 10am - 3pm and 7pm - 6am.

Keep the roads free for people who actually need to be driving in rush hour traffic.

Llanedeyrnblue
28-07-16, 10:37
Simple solution.

Keep the roads free for people who actually need to be driving in rush hour traffic.

Let's also do away with all the motorway exits at Newport, they cause all the jams.

Packerman
28-07-16, 10:41
Simple solution.

i always leave suffolk about 10 and get to mams in pontypridd about 2 common sense really

Dr Lecter
28-07-16, 10:57
Let's also do away with all the motorway exits at Newport, they cause all the jams.

Good call.

1. It'll stop people going there.

2. It'll keep the locals from escaping.

Everyone's a winner.

Dr Lecter
28-07-16, 11:05
i always leave suffolk about 10 and get to mams in pontypridd about 2 common sense really

Of course it is.

Why people choose to travel at busy times when they don't need to is something I'll never understand.

My mother is a classic example. She's retired now and has all the time in the world to do whatever she chooses. Yet whenever she wants to go shopping in Cardiff she'll set off at about 8 o clock in her micra. Guaranteed that the next time I see her she'll moan about the traffic on the a470 and how some 'idiot ' was driving too close etc.

BLUETIT
28-07-16, 11:17
Simple solution.

What about the women (now where's that hiding behind the wall smiley) :hehe:

Dr Lecter
28-07-16, 11:25

Haven't got a problem with women driving in the rush hour at all.

Gives you something to look at while you're stuck in traffic

Llanedeyrnblue
28-07-16, 11:26

:hide:

Tall Midget
28-07-16, 11:40

Why should women be hiding behind the wall?

Up to no good, I'll be bound!

Loose, bawdy morals, the lot of 'em...

Llanedeyrnblue
28-07-16, 11:45
Good call.

1. It'll stop people going there.

2. It'll keep the locals from escaping.

Everyone's a winner.

If they're desperate the can use the A48

Cretin Hop
29-07-16, 12:45
Those speed restrictions get on my wick, especially at night when the roads are empty. In the day time by the tunnels they're irrelevant as you can't exceed the limit when you're stationary. :shrug:

Enoch Mort
29-07-16, 13:46
Apparently because the variable limit between Tredegar Park and Coldra is being completely ignored (due to the fact that everyone knows the gantry cameras don't work) there was meant to be a crackdown starting this week.

Looking at the back of the gantries from the other carriageway there does not seem to be any cameras at all let alone any that don't work (unless they are very cunningly hidden). If that is the case how will the limits be enforced ?

Penarth Blues
29-07-16, 13:49
Looking at the back of the gantries from the other carriageway there does not seem to be any cameras at all let alone any that don't work (unless they are very cunningly hidden). If that is the case how will the limits be enforced ?

There are cameras, just not on every gantry - and they move them occasionally too. There were at least 2 sets of cameras on the gantries heading towards the tunnel from Cardiff on Tuesday, and one set on the last gantry into the tunnel coming from the Bridge side. There are also a set on the last gantry after the tunnels heading towards Cardiff (just when you think it's safe to accelerate)

Enoch Mort
29-07-16, 13:53
There are cameras, just not on every gantry - and they move them occasionally too. There were at least 2 sets of cameras on the gantries heading towards the tunnel from Cardiff on Tuesday, and one set on the last gantry into the tunnel coming from the Bridge side. There are also a set on the last gantry after the tunnels heading towards Cardiff (just when you think it's safe to accelerate)

That is useful to know. Thanks. I will be more careful in future

Barry Shitpeas
29-07-16, 18:13
That is useful to know. Thanks. I will be more careful in future

During the road works to install the system they used the average speed cameras so people had no choice but to obey the limit, and the traffic flow during that time was the best it had been in years.

They spent around £20 million on the variable limit, but the cameras have never been used to catch drivers, just to monitor traffic flow. Trouble is, everyone quickly cottoned on to this and now we have driving far too close, speeding, whacking on their brakes and causing stop - start traffic all the way through. This is completely defeating the object of having them.