PDA

View Full Version : No Esiteddfod honour for the Welsh team

TH63
29-07-16, 10:47
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36923420

What a miserable bunch of out of touch kents

In any case, isn't Rambo a Welsh speaker?

BLUETIT
29-07-16, 10:50
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36923420

What a miserable bunch of out of touch kents

In any case, isn't Rambo a Welsh speaker?

Joe Allen is as well. :thumbup:

TH63
29-07-16, 10:51
I think Mike should close the Welsh language forum in protest, to hell with the structural funding from the Welsh Government!!

El Horno
29-07-16, 11:54
Why would the Gorsedd honour the team? It's hardly a significant cultural achievement. BBC creating a story out of nothing. You might as well complain that Joe Ledley's beard isn't up for the Turner Prize!?

Blue in the Face
29-07-16, 12:08
Joe Ledley's beard isn't up for the Turner Prize!?

wwwwwwWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? ffs

It's probably "up for" most other things though

Penarth Blues
29-07-16, 13:29
"If they can't speak Welsh I don't see how we can welcome them in, because Welsh is the biggest, strongest weapon we have as a nation and without it, we have nothing,"

Well that's not very welcoming for non-Welsh speaking Welsh people either. So basically it doesn't matter about all the other things we do to enhance the country - provided we speak Welsh everything will be fine? What a complete load of elitist crap...

BLUETIT
29-07-16, 13:50
"If they can't speak Welsh I don't see how we can welcome them in, because Welsh is the biggest, strongest weapon we have as a nation and without it, we have nothing,"

Well that's not very welcoming for non-Welsh speaking Welsh people either. So basically it doesn't matter about all the other things we do to enhance the country - provided we speak Welsh everything will be fine? What a complete load of elitist crap...

And (NSASWA), this is why there is the great divide (I'm with you)

tommy31
29-07-16, 14:04

you're right. Normally I'm on the other side of this (as I'm sure others know) but this is exactly the reason there's animosity. I don't know why the hell they shouldn't be honoured. They've done more for wales than this fella could ever dream of doing. If they can change the rules for the Queen, then they can change the rules for these lads too.

FWIW I think it's been generalised a little. I don't know anyone who thinks a non-welsh speaker is any less welsh than a speaker. But it's news like this that paints that portrait unfortunately. Disgrace of an opinion.

TH63
29-07-16, 14:07

That's my point, they'll make a big fuss about some beardie who writes a poem who nobody outside of Wales (and not that many IN Wales) will ever hear, and even less will understand, yet Coleman's boys have done more to put Wales on the world stage than anyone in recent memory.

So not all of them speak Welsh, some of them do, and when the fans were singing the loudest they were singing in Welsh.

Sure, Arts and Culture have to be recognised, and the language protected and encouraged to thrive, but from their own website, the Eisteddfod honours are

"...presented annually, are an opportunity to recognise individuals from all parts of the country for their achievements and their commitment to Wales, the Welsh language and to their local communities across the whole of Wales"

https://eisteddfod.wales/gorsedd-honours-2016

I ask you, who has achieved more and committed more to Wales than the Welsh Football team, coaching staff and fans?

If they want to ponce about in a field wearing silly gowns and patting themselves on the back, fine, we'll just carry on and make the whole world sit up and take notice of Wales.

Rjk
29-07-16, 14:22
The eisteddfod has nothing to do with sport though, it's about literature and music and that kind of thing isn't it? Not just some general celebration of welshness.

Are there going to be complaints that the Olympics doesn't recognise this year's Oscar winners?

BLUETIT
29-07-16, 14:59
Didn't the training staff get ALL the players to learn/sing the anthem ?

If that's not encouraging culture, what is. !

Harry Paget Flashman
29-07-16, 15:04

Can't see us having a Welsh space mission anytime soon tbh.

Penarth Blues
29-07-16, 15:14
you're right. Normally I'm on the other side of this (as I'm sure others know) but this is exactly the reason there's animosity. I don't know why the hell they shouldn't be honoured. They've done more for wales than this fella could ever dream of doing. If they can change the rules for the Queen, then they can change the rules for these lads too.

FWIW I think it's been generalised a little. I don't know anyone who thinks a non-welsh speaker is any less welsh than a speaker. But it's news like this that paints that portrait unfortunately. Disgrace of an opinion.

I'd like to agree with you but this simply isn't true. Anyway, the easiest way to turn people away from what you're trying to achieve is to tell them they can't be part of it. This is the real own goal that's been scored today...

jon1959
29-07-16, 15:15
Didn't the training staff get ALL the players to learn/sing the anthem ?

If that's not encouraging culture, what is. !

So is this:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/day-gareth-bale-welsh-football-11552790

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30089719

The day Gareth Bale and our Welsh football stars insisted on honouring Wales' fallen war heroes

While on the trip, the team’s megastar Bale specifically asked to see the grave of Hedd Wyn, the Welsh poet who had been killed at the Battle of Passchendaele.

“The morning after the game in Brussels, players shunned an early flight home to make a four-hour return journey through Flanders to the Artillery Wood Cemetery, outside Ypres, where 1,307 soldiers are buried or commemorated, many of whom were Welsh, and the nearby Wales War Memorial at Langemark.

“The FAW’s head of public affairs, Ian Gwyn Hughes, was on hand to address the squad to explain the relevance to some who didn’t know what to expect.

“It might provoke an image of school visit, yet the maturity and humility of the squad was illustrated that morning where there was just quiet reflection and discussion of the sombre sights rather than the moans and misbehaviour sometimes associated with footballers in terms of public perception.

“Those who saw Wales players sat at the trestle tables in the service station style cafe across the road from the memorial would know that not all can be tarred with the same brush.

“Indeed, Hughes has told of how Bale had specifically asked him to show him the grave of Hedd Wyn, the Welsh poet who had been killed at the Battle of Passchendaele just weeks before being posthumously awarded the Bardic Chair at the 1917 National Eisteddfod, Bale having been intrigued by the story told to him by his mother.

“The staff weren’t sure of how the players were to react to the attempt to underline the importance of the history of the country and the people they represented in the red shirt, yet saw a team who were eager to understand together.”

Who was Hedd Wyn?

Born Ellis Humphrey Evans in Trawsfynydd in 1887, Hedd Wyn - the eldest of 11 children in a farming family - was a Welsh language poet of the romantic style who was awarded several eisteddfodau chairs for his poetry.

In 1910, he was given the bardic name Hedd Wyn, Welsh for “blessed peace”, a reference to the sun’s rays penetrating the mists in the valleys of Meirionydd.

Following the outbreak of WWI in 1914, he didn’t enlist initially, as he was a Christian pacifist and felt he could never kill anyone.

The war was to inspire some of his most noted poetry, including Plant Trawsfynydd (Children of Trawsfynydd), Y Blotyn Du (The Black Dot), Nid â’n Ango (Will Not Be Forgotten) and Rhyfel (War).

Then, in 1916, his family had to send one of their sons to join the British Army via conscription and Ellis enlisted rather than his younger brother Robert, joining the 15th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Fléchin, France, in June 1917.

While there, he finished the poem Yr Arwr (The Hero), his submission for that year’s National Eisteddfod and sent it off via the Royal Mail.

On July 31, 1917, his battalion marched towards the major offensive which would become known as the Battle of Passchendaele.

With heavy rain turning the Belgian battlefield into a swamp, he was to be part of the Battle of Pilckem Ridge, near Ypres, where he was to suffer his fatal wound.

That September, the Chairing of the Bard ceremony took place at the National Eisteddfod - held that year within Birkenhead Park, Merseyside - in the presence of British Prime Minister David Lloyd George.

Wynn’s entry, submitted under the pseudonym Fleur de Lys, was declared the winner, with the empty chair being draped in a black sheet and delivered to his parents in the same condition.

A statue was erected in his honour in Trawsfynydd, while, in 1992, he was the subject of an award-winning film, which was to be nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars.

Ellis H. Evans was buried at Artillery Wood Cemetery, which was to be visited by Bale and the rest of the Welsh football squad almost a century later.

BLUETIT
29-07-16, 15:42
So is this:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/day-gareth-bale-welsh-football-11552790

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30089719

The day Gareth Bale and our Welsh football stars insisted on honouring Wales' fallen war heroes

While on the trip, the team’s megastar Bale specifically asked to see the grave of Hedd Wyn, the Welsh poet who had been killed at the Battle of Passchendaele.

“The morning after the game in Brussels, players shunned an early flight home to make a four-hour return journey through Flanders to the Artillery Wood Cemetery, outside Ypres, where 1,307 soldiers are buried or commemorated, many of whom were Welsh, and the nearby Wales War Memorial at Langemark.

“The FAW’s head of public affairs, Ian Gwyn Hughes, was on hand to address the squad to explain the relevance to some who didn’t know what to expect.

“It might provoke an image of school visit, yet the maturity and humility of the squad was illustrated that morning where there was just quiet reflection and discussion of the sombre sights rather than the moans and misbehaviour sometimes associated with footballers in terms of public perception.

“Those who saw Wales players sat at the trestle tables in the service station style cafe across the road from the memorial would know that not all can be tarred with the same brush.

“Indeed, Hughes has told of how Bale had specifically asked him to show him the grave of Hedd Wyn, the Welsh poet who had been killed at the Battle of Passchendaele just weeks before being posthumously awarded the Bardic Chair at the 1917 National Eisteddfod, Bale having been intrigued by the story told to him by his mother.

“The staff weren’t sure of how the players were to react to the attempt to underline the importance of the history of the country and the people they represented in the red shirt, yet saw a team who were eager to understand together.”

Who was Hedd Wyn?

Born Ellis Humphrey Evans in Trawsfynydd in 1887, Hedd Wyn - the eldest of 11 children in a farming family - was a Welsh language poet of the romantic style who was awarded several eisteddfodau chairs for his poetry.

In 1910, he was given the bardic name Hedd Wyn, Welsh for “blessed peace”, a reference to the sun’s rays penetrating the mists in the valleys of Meirionydd.

Following the outbreak of WWI in 1914, he didn’t enlist initially, as he was a Christian pacifist and felt he could never kill anyone.

The war was to inspire some of his most noted poetry, including Plant Trawsfynydd (Children of Trawsfynydd), Y Blotyn Du (The Black Dot), Nid â’n Ango (Will Not Be Forgotten) and Rhyfel (War).

Then, in 1916, his family had to send one of their sons to join the British Army via conscription and Ellis enlisted rather than his younger brother Robert, joining the 15th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Fléchin, France, in June 1917.

While there, he finished the poem Yr Arwr (The Hero), his submission for that year’s National Eisteddfod and sent it off via the Royal Mail.

On July 31, 1917, his battalion marched towards the major offensive which would become known as the Battle of Passchendaele.

With heavy rain turning the Belgian battlefield into a swamp, he was to be part of the Battle of Pilckem Ridge, near Ypres, where he was to suffer his fatal wound.

That September, the Chairing of the Bard ceremony took place at the National Eisteddfod - held that year within Birkenhead Park, Merseyside - in the presence of British Prime Minister David Lloyd George.

Wynn’s entry, submitted under the pseudonym Fleur de Lys, was declared the winner, with the empty chair being draped in a black sheet and delivered to his parents in the same condition.

A statue was erected in his honour in Trawsfynydd, while, in 1992, he was the subject of an award-winning film, which was to be nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars.

Ellis H. Evans was buried at Artillery Wood Cemetery, which was to be visited by Bale and the rest of the Welsh football squad almost a century later.

This post will end up in the EGGO. :hehe:

Bluebird since 1948
29-07-16, 15:59
I have long felt the elite in this country are parochial Welsh speakers. I can count on one hand how many people I know that speak it fluently, it's never been a part of my life and it never will be.

Don't let anyone tell you what your culture is.

Llanedeyrnblue
29-07-16, 16:47
We made history when Welsh was spoken for the first time at a Euro press conference

tommy31
29-07-16, 17:26
I'd like to agree with you but this simply isn't true. Anyway, the easiest way to turn people away from what you're trying to achieve is to tell them they can't be part of it. This is the real own goal that's been scored today...

It is a feeling, I have no doubt it exists. What I'm trying to point out is the rarity of it. But I agree, it's a massive own goal. They could have hyped it. Welsh could potentially have been on some major TV stations with Bale and co getting their honour.

BLUETIT
29-07-16, 17:30
It used to be the "WELSH KNOT", maybe someone clever on here can design "THE FOOTBALL KNOT"

Wankers.

Llanedeyrnblue
29-07-16, 17:37
I bet those silly pony pacers down west have been recognised

Bluebird since 1948
29-07-16, 17:37
Lets be honest though Bale and Ramsey wouldn't be seen dead at a parochial elitist gathering of Welsh media luvvies telling eachother how wonderful they all are.

Penarth Blues
30-07-16, 00:35
Turns out it was all just clickbait if you read the story a bit deeper - other than the worrying thoughts of the Archdruid. Hopefully someone will be able to smooth this over quickly...

lardy
30-07-16, 00:59
I think Mike should close the Welsh language forum in protest, to hell with the structural funding from the Welsh Government!!

I went in there the other day . The guy who was upset about the welsh team meeting the queen said everyone on this board is a cock :hehe:

TruBlue
30-07-16, 02:11
I went in there the other day . The guy who was upset about the welsh team meeting the queen said everyone on this board is a cock :hehe:

Mick?

the other bob wilson
30-07-16, 04:12
John Hartson and Malcolm Allen have been honoured in the past and it seems to me that what three of the four the Welsh speakers in the squad did surpasses anything those two have done to promote Wales. To the best of my knowledge, Aaron Ramsey, Ben Davies, Joe Allen and Owain Fon-Williams are Welsh speakers, but, the man who seems most qualified to be honoured in the Wales set up has to be Osion Roberts, who I'd be willing to bet has spoken Welsh as much, if not more, than English in his media interviews since being appointed - in fact, I thought he had been honoured in the past, but I could find nothing to confirm that when I searched.

the other bob wilson
30-07-16, 05:45
A powerful piece on Wales Online today criticising the decision.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wales-euro-2016-heroes-took-11682102#rlabs=2%20rt$sitewide%20p$2

lardy
30-07-16, 06:47
Good article, that.

City123
30-07-16, 12:59
Nominations closed on the 28th of February so there was no way they could have been honoured this year in any case

The article is clickbait to get people angry for no reason

tommy31
30-07-16, 13:13
Nominations closed on the 28th of February so there was no way they could have been honoured this year in any case

A good way to set non welsh speakers vs speakers eh. wonder why they're doing that........

lardy
30-07-16, 13:40

Fair point but this does seem like something it would be very easy to make an exception for.

Bluebird since 1948
30-07-16, 14:00
A good way to set non welsh speakers vs speakers eh. wonder why they're doing that........

The man in charge said something along the lines of "They don't speak Welsh, why should we honour them". He said that, regardless of when nominations opened. Elitist morons stuck in an echo chamber most of the time.

the other bob wilson
30-07-16, 14:22
Fair point but this does seem like something it would be very easy to make an exception for.

Exactly, to me that's a classic "more than my job's worth" excuse.

ken smith
30-07-16, 14:57
Lets be honest here, did anyone actually know the Eisteddfod was on or where it is being held before this statement.

Who cares if they are honoured or not at a poetry tournament, it'll mean a hell of a lot more when they come second in the team category of SPOTY in December as that is a sporting award.

splott parker
30-07-16, 15:08
Lets be honest here, did anyone actually know the Eisteddfod was on or where it is being held before this statement.

Who cares if they are honoured or not at a poetry tournament, it'll mean a hell of a lot more when they come second in the team category of SPOTY in December as that is a sporting award.

Obviously the 1966 England World Cup team will have first place sewn up............they won it apparently!!!

ken smith
30-07-16, 16:04
Obviously the 1966 England World Cup team will have first place sewn up............they won it apparently!!!
I was thinking Leicester, but OK we'll finish 3rd then :thumbup:

City123
30-07-16, 16:08
Divide and rule, I think the extract below sums the situation up

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ComOLy8WYAEfAhw.jpg:large

Dénia Bluebird
30-07-16, 17:01

Absolutely agree with you, not just elitism but also insulting to the vast majority of the country and, frankly, out of touch. It pains me to say this (especially as this years event is being held in my home town of Abergavenny) but i hope the whole thing collapses and dies a death.

the other bob wilson
02-08-16, 03:48
Further developments

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/welsh-singer-quits-gorsedd-after-11690010#rlabs=2%20rt$sitewide%20p$5

BLUETIT
02-08-16, 07:09
Great 2nd article as well, written by Delme Parfitt, (if the link works)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wales-euro-2016-heroes-took-11682102

lardy
02-08-16, 07:30

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wales-euro-2016-heroes-took-11682102

Already been posted.

BLUETIT
02-08-16, 07:44

Already been posted.

Great that is has, BUT I can't find it in this fred. :shrug:

Is it on a link to another link, as it's not like me to repeat things. :thumbup:

lardy
02-08-16, 08:55
Post 26

BLUETIT
02-08-16, 10:13
Post 26

Don't know about you, BUT that link don't work for me. !

That's why I added "if link works" :thumbup:

lardy
02-08-16, 11:27
Don't know about you, BUT that link don't work for me. !

That's why I added "if link works" :thumbup:

I managed to read the article so it worked for me. Just needed pasting to url bar.