PDA

View Full Version : FAO Roofers, Builders and DIYers.

itkman
25-08-16, 08:43
Font of all knowledge.

I've got a broken roof tile on a one story sloping roof that covers the porch / downstairs lav at the front of my house.

Any idea how much it would be to get someone out to replace it, or should I have a crack at it myself?

itkman
25-08-16, 08:48
YouTube it - it is doable depending on how handy you are

I did that, looks fairly easy. I'm fairly competent at most things about the house but I'm terrified of screwing it up and leaving a bigger mess and exposure to the elements.

At the moment it's all dry thanks to a few strips of gaffa tape!

Vindec
25-08-16, 09:07
The first thing you should do is source a roof tile. There are scores of different types. The make of tile should be on the back of the broken tile. Even a builder would have to do that and that might take time especially if a tile has to be ordered and there might be a minimum quantity. After that the job should take less than a minute. It is so so simple as the tile above it should lift and you merely push the new one in.

itkman
25-08-16, 09:19
Thanks for the replies.. I might get the ladders out later and start doing some light pulling and pushing to get the lay of the land...

Thanks again.

itkman
25-08-16, 12:21
Were you talking tiles or slates. Ive done slates - and that was a bit tricky and you need to break the nail first and then this this metal strip to bend back and hold in place etc.

Tiles it seems are very simple to replace

Yeah it's a tile, Marley Double Roman it appears to be according to the Travis Perkins site. Thing is, will they sell me just one?

Vindec
25-08-16, 12:46
If you only need one tile get a free sample from Marley here:

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Roofing/Concrete-Tiles/Double-Roman-Interlocking-Tile.aspx

BLUETIT
25-08-16, 12:53
Yeah it's a tile, Marley Double Roman it appears to be according to the Travis Perkins site. Thing is, will they sell me just one?

Get it off and check first, as the older tiles like this were tapered and the new ones won't sit right with them.

The name and style should be stamped underneath.

Asphaltic in Tremorfa used to hold a stock of old tiles.

itkman
25-08-16, 13:10
Get it off and check first, as the older tiles like this were tapered and the new ones won't sit right with them.

The name and style should be stamped underneath.

Asphaltic in Tremorfa used to hold a stock of old tiles.

Oooh, thanks. How old is older? This one is probably 30 years old or so..

BLUETIT
25-08-16, 15:38

I would bet it's tapered

BLUETIT
26-08-16, 07:43

I would bet it's tapered

Having slept on this, being OLD all the years seem to drift away:hehe:, I should a 30 year old tile would not be tapered.

I think they changed the profile about the 1980's, so it's boarder-line, date wise.

itkman
26-08-16, 08:03
Having slept on this, being OLD all the years seem to drift away:hehe:, I should a 30 year old tile would not be tapered.

I think they changed the profile about the 1980's, so it's boarder-line, date wise.

Yeah, the house was Mid / Late 80's. The ones on the end look tapered as they're corner ones and fit the profile of the roof, could just be an optical illusion though. It was too wet to go mucking about up there last night, hopefully get a dry spell this weekend....

BLUETIT
26-08-16, 08:27
Yeah, the house was Mid / Late 80's. The ones on the end look tapered as they're corner ones and fit the profile of the roof, could just be an optical illusion though. It was too wet to go mucking about up there last night, hopefully get a dry spell this weekend....

The end ones will be (should be) different to the main roof tiles.

They will (should have), a blocked off end, to stop birds from getting in. (PS:--- It don't work, they just chew the wooden fascia down):hehe:

Vindec
26-08-16, 08:28
As I said earlier the brand and serial number of the tile will be stamped on the back. Marley changed their tiles from imperial to metric during the 1980's but metric tiles will normally fit even those tiles with imperial measurements. I repeat if you only want one tile then you can get one for free direct from Marley. They have a specific webpage for this as I mentioned above. I have had a number of free samples from them.

If you don't want to go down this route you can buy small quantities from the Roofing Superstore https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/browse/pitched-roofing/roof-tiles/concrete-roof-tiles/marley-roof-tiles-1/double-roman.htmlb

However, I would try locally first. If they have them in stock they will sell you one:

itkman
26-08-16, 08:41
As I said earlier the brand and serial number of the tile will be stamped on the back. Marley changed their tiles from imperial to metric during the 1980's but metric tiles will normally fit even those tiles with imperial measurements. I repeat if you only want one tile then you can get one for free direct from Marley. They have a specific webpage for this as I mentioned above. I have had a number of free samples from them.

If you don't want to go down this route you can buy small quantities from the Roofing Superstore https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/browse/pitched-roofing/roof-tiles/concrete-roof-tiles/marley-roof-tiles-1/double-roman.htmlb

However, I would try locally first. If they have them in stock they will sell you one:

Thanks. I'll check the brand etc when I eventually get up there.

I checked out that site and got jumpy when they wanted details of my 'project'!