PDA

View Full Version : Players who are struggling more than you expected them to this season?

the other bob wilson
18-09-16, 12:25
Not surprised Manga has looked dodgy this season because it seems pretty clear he doesn't want to be here, but I was expecting a lot more from Connolly, Morrison, Ralls and Immers than they've showed so far - maybe some were not completely happy with the new system and have now lost a lot of confidence?

Also, as someone who championed his cause so much in the past, I've been disappointed with Declan John's inability/unwillingness to show the best part of his game - ironically, I don't think he's defended too badly, but his wing back play was too conservative (interestingly, I thought Richards got forward more yesterday than he did when he played as a wing back).

cardiff55
18-09-16, 13:56
Richards- not as good as I thought, and I didn't think he was that good anyway. But he did ok yesterday at left back.
Morrison and Connolly, we are shipping goals left right and centre. They look not very sharp. Manga has been crap.
Peltier has been ok, his best game was against Blackburn when he played wing back! He's better at right back though.
John, Looked forward to seeing him but after a bright start has got worse.
Bennett- will he play?
Huws, must be wondering why he bothered to come here, stuck on the bench, and one start and hauled off at half time.
Gunnar- slow and creates nothing, good long throw.
Whitts- Only player who can pass, but gets dropped, but his legs have gone.
Ralls- well below par, seems to dos absolutely nothing in a game.
Noone- one start, looked good early on then faded.
Pilkington- Top scorer but totally anonymous yesterday.
Lambert- holds the ball up well, but no pace and got no help.
Gounongbe - Looks sharp, does nothing. Who signed him?!
Zohore- does nothing. Who signed him too?!
Immers - probably the worst, doesn't fit in the team whatever formation we play and subbed loads of times. Has done nothing.
O'Keefe - injured but never thought I'd look forward to seeing him back!
Kennedy- Who?
Harris - Our only bright spark, so if we are a team that pins its hopes on a youngster who has done nothing for us in 4 years and now appears to be our best player what does that say about the squad?

All in all, way below expectation and all players need to shape up or ship out. Hopefully Pilkington and Noone will be gone bynext summer and Manga too. But based on the last 3/4 years and the last 4 managers (including Trollope) can you trust them to sign anyone decent? That goes for the weird signings of Gounongbe, Saadi, and Zohore by the board.

And Marshall has done **** all recently too!!! Who's going to score any goals.

Compare this lot from a few years ago
Marshall, mcNaughton, Hudson, Gerrard, Rae, McPhail, Ledley, Burke, Bothroyd, Chopra, McCormack, Bellamy. How do they compare with our current team? Even Conway, Cowie and Gusted would walk in to the team. And Cowie's well past it.

chepstow
18-09-16, 17:26
Richards- not as good as I thought, and I didn't think he was that good anyway. But he did ok yesterday at left back.
Morrison and Connolly, we are shipping goals left right and centre. They look not very sharp. Manga has been crap.
Peltier has been ok, his best game was against Blackburn when he played wing back! He's better at right back though.
Bennett- will he play?
Huws, must be wondering why he bothered to come here, stuck on the bench, and one start and hauled off at half time.
Immers - probably the worst, doesn't fit in the team whatever formation we play and subbed loads of times. Has done nothing.
Kennedy- Who?
Harris - Our only bright spark, so if we are a team that pins its hopes on a youngster who has done nothing for us in 4 years and now appears to be our best player what does that say about the squad?

All in all, way below expectation and all players need to shape up or ship out. Hopefully Pilkington and Noone will be gone bynext summer and Manga too. But based on the last 3/4 years and the last 4 managers (including Trollope) can you trust them to sign anyone decent? That goes for the weird signings of Gounongbe, Saadi, and Zohore by the board.

Marshall, mcNaughton, Hudson, Gerrard, Rae, McPhail, Ledley, Burke, Bothroyd, Chopra, McCormack, Bellamy. How do they compare with our current team? Even Conway, Cowie and Gusted would walk in to the team. And Cowie's well past it.

I wouldnt argue with too much of this? But i would say that many of the transfer dealings have been carried out without the managers involvement this season and last. Slade had nothing to do with a fair few imports last season and was not asked about a number of players released. Inwent to the end of sea son awards night and had the pleasure of speaking to a number of players and what came across was a atmosphere of despondency. In particular the release of Turner. A group a players said collectively that there wasnt a single or anyone within the team management who wanted turner to go but it was going to happen anyway because tan delhman and choo had decided. I was at norwich and witnessed our captain knock the ball down to pilks to score but then watched pilks fail to acknowledge morrisons contribution but just turn the other way...... There is no team camaradary or entusiasm and inthink there is a huge void between the players and the people running the club upstairs?

Llanedeyrnblue
18-09-16, 17:49
Ralls more than anyone,last season he had drive and an eye for a pass also stamina,he's lost all of those qualities.

As for the squad none of them seem fit and fade after 70 mins, I thought we had a super fitness expert on the staff?

islandblue
18-09-16, 18:04
What's happened to Immers? A shadow of the player of last season. Reminds me of Matt Brazier and Andy Campbell, looked great on loan but never the same as a permanent signing.

thehumblegringo
18-09-16, 18:07
Ralls more than anyone,last season he had drive and an eye for a pass also stamina,he's lost all of those qualities.

As for the squad none of them seem fit and fade after 70 mins, I thought we had a super fitness expert on the staff?

Ralls showed a lot of promise last season but even then I was getting frustrated by his negativity.
I don't understand why he feels the need to come so deep to receive the ball.
If the full back has it he invariably loops behind him vacating his midfield position.
I'm amazed that management think this is good especially when we are playing 3 centre backs!

Sloop_Jon_Bee
18-09-16, 18:30
Bennett- will he play?
Kennedy- Who?

Great analysis. I agree on everything you have said here, apart from Harris. Yes he has proved to be one of our best players, but only in spells, he has also prone to lots of mistakes. His decision making is poor, gets caught on the ball too often. Often looks lost in the system - whatever he system is.
Spedger

Sloop_Jon_Bee
18-09-16, 18:37

Ralls has been the biggest disappointment for me. Watching him makes me want to get my boots back on.
Spedger

TDA
18-09-16, 18:49
Playing 3 CBs, I don't think the rest have worked out what their roles are. Ralls is a disappointment, but not as much as Noone, who seems to possess no threat anymore when in possession

llan bluebird
18-09-16, 19:14
I think all of Ralls decent performances were at left midfield during last seasons decent early start. He then moved inside and tried to turn into Whitts and gradually become worse week on week.

Shoehorning Gunnar into the team is wrecking the balance, not sure what he does for the team, but he does LOOK like he gives his all and a lot of our fans still love that dungeon mentality.

On Paper Morrison with Connolly and Manga either side looks good, but without a mega pre-season this looks really suspect. A return to a flat back four should get them back on kilter.

Never really thought much of Harris, but he may have improved his technical ability, and he be the surprise savior.

Former Labour leader
18-09-16, 19:45
The interesting and informative posts on this thread have me even more fed up than i was before. Trying to be positive several of them can do better and ot is just possible the kick on the arse of being bottom pf the table may just do the trick, though i am doubtful we will not see any improvement until Trollope goes.
In the short term, if i was manager, i would go back to back to basics, get the defence sorted and the rest will follow. Malkys teams did not have massive pace and look where he took us. We should play a rigid 442. Sorry if i am sounding like Slade but i hate to say it, but he should have been kept on if the drastic cost cutting was to continue. Trollope looks like a little boy lost.

CCFCPhil
18-09-16, 19:49
all of them

Eric the Half a Bee
18-09-16, 20:41
What's happened to Immers? A shadow of the player of last season. Reminds me of Matt Brazier and Andy Campbell, looked great on loan but never the same as a permanent signing.

A 30 year old who couldn't buy a game in the Dutch top division by the time Cardiff came calling. Good stuff when on loan and looking for a contract, then the inevitable happened.