PDA

View Full Version : If the system is the problem, why is it that.........................

the other bob wilson
04-10-16, 09:29
we've, arguably, been worse since we switched to a 4-3-3 (which looks depressingly like 4-5-1 to me) formation? As we were winning one, drawing two and losing four of our first seven matches, the excuse that the players could not or would not adjust to the three centreback system was advanced and, after the horror show at Preston, the decision was made to revert to four defenders. Since then, we've lost three matches by 2-0 and the 2-1 win at Rotherham, increasingly, looks like it was gained more by luck than ability.

If Paul Trollope does leave in the next few days, I would argue that he has been badly let down by a group of players he believed were good enough to make a better fist of the three centreback system than they have done. Whether the "Wales approach" we started the season with failed because the players didn't fancy it or if it was because they weren't good enough to make it work, it reflects poorly on them either way - especially as they are making such a mess of the formation we are currently using as well.

Blue in the Face
04-10-16, 10:04
we've, arguably, been worse since we switched to a 4-3-3 (which looks depressingly like 4-5-1 to me) formation? As we were winning one, drawing two and losing four of our first seven matches, the excuse that the players could not or would not adjust to the three centreback system was advanced and, after the horror show at Preston, the decision was made to revert to four defenders. Since then, we've lost three matches by 2-0 and the 2-1 win at Rotherham, increasingly, looks like it was gained more by luck than ability.

If Paul Trollope does leave in the next few days, I would argue that he has been badly let down by a group of players he believed were good enough to make a better fist of the three centreback system than they have done. Whether the "Wales approach" we started the season with failed because the players didn't fancy it or if it was because they weren't good enough to make it work, it reflects poorly on them either way - especially as they are making such a mess of the formation we are currently using as well.

I wanted to post something similar as this echoes my feelings.

The thing that let our use of 3-5-2 for me, (other than the universal lack of pace) was a link between midfield and attack. We needed a no8/10 type to carry the ball and to act as the bridge between the forwards and midfielders. In another team that player could have been Immers. But only if there were more mobile players around him. I suspect a lot of our players would be doing a lot better with more mobile players around them.

Some of the critics of the 3-5-2 use the Wales thing as a reason for criticism which I find a lazy conclusion to jump to. Lots of teams have used the formation successfully in this league like Middlesborogh and our next opponents Bristol City who tore us apart playing with this shape in recent times.

One thing I would say is that if PT does get more time, and if he does revert back to this system, then he should opt for a far more attack minded starting line up. He needs base his tactics on how we can consistently work the ball into the final third. I've suggested playing Plikington deeper a few times because I feel the team is crying out for someone who can comfortably carry the ball before the final phase.

Trigger
04-10-16, 11:07
The players all need to have a look at themselves of course. However the manager has been unable to get them in any sort of formation or set up so that we look remotely like scoring.

The fact an opposition CB is our top scorer at home is laughable and Trollope unfortunately has to take that on the chin as we can't get rid of the whole team.

It's not just the strikers missing opportunities but the whole team unable to create anything worthwhile.

It doesn't always work out but would anyone be surprised if a new manager got us playing better? On that basis he has to go.

Vimana.
04-10-16, 11:16
It's beginning to feel as if the players themselves maybe crave change. Some appear to have gone missing in action. Seemingly some appear to have simply forgotten how to be a footballer.

Almost a little odd.

the other bob wilson
04-10-16, 11:18
The players all need to have a look at themselves of course. However the manager has been unable to get them in any sort of formation or set up so that we look remotely like scoring.

The fact an opposition CB is our top scorer at home is laughable and Trollope unfortunately has to take that on the chin as we can't get rid of the whole team.

It's not just the strikers missing opportunities but the whole team unable to create anything worthwhile.

It doesn't always work out but would anyone be surprised if a new manager got us playing better? On that basis he has to go.

I'm not saying Trollope should stay. Very reluctantly, I've concluded that things aren't going to improve quickly enough under him, but, even if a new bloke comes in and we start to climb clear of trouble, I'm not going to forget how some of this squad reacted to adversity - over the past couple of years, I've always thought we had an over rated squad and what's happened in the past couple of months has only helped convince me I was right.

llan bluebird
04-10-16, 12:08
The Welsh system is a negative system that ultimately failed when one of the two main protagonists it's designed to free up are not there. There are very few games in which Wales top two players are worse than the oppositions best two players if Rambo and Bale are fit.
Do Cardiff city have that luxury ? No, our superstar was the goalie and our "best" player is an ageing converted winger who wants to play a possession game not a counter attacking game because he looks up and see's no searing pace or technical skill in front of him.

Trollope has asked this group of players to do something they can't. Why extend Pilkington's contract when he is slowing down, cuts inside and lays it off ? He didn't burn as a winger 5 years ago !!!!

Wales won't play the same system without Rambo and when we are the favourites its possibly one of the dullest games ever if the opposition sit back.

celticknight
04-10-16, 12:24
I really don't get why Trollope tried to get City's players to play the "Wales way". You either bring players in who can play your system or you find a system to fit the players you already have, but he chose the third "square peg, round hole" option.

And, as has been mentioned, Wales basically play a defensive 5-3-2 and hope from some individual genius from a couple of world class players. City just basically cannot do that, so it was doomed to fail from the start.