PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock

nugent
16-01-17, 07:19
This series was utter poo.

A Quiet Monkfish
16-01-17, 08:17

It was awful. Huge, lavish production[s] with ludicrous story lines, last night's being the most ridiculous yet. As each series progressed, it came away from an interesting detective-based thriller, to self indulgent clap trap..

Llanedeyrnblue
16-01-17, 08:56
Couldn't understand what was going on last night,was she his sister or what?

A Quiet Monkfish
16-01-17, 09:11
Couldn't understand what was going on last night,was she his sister or what?

Yep, he also had a best friend, but not a dog. Seems he'd forgotten/imagined all three...

Colonel Cærdiffi
16-01-17, 09:35
That show disappeared up its own arse quite a while ago. Watched the first episode of this series and realised I wasn't interested in watching the rest.

Apparently it's too much to ask for a show about a clever detective and his faithful partner solving crimes, which is what it started out as, instead we get some oblique shitshow that jumps around like a 90's Tarantino movie while trying to simultaneously be gritty, flashy, broad and weirdly politically correct in that way BBC drama tends to be.

Better to give the Ridley Scott/Tom Hardy vehicle "Taboo" a watch, the first two episodes have been a good watch although, what with it being a BBC show, episode 3 will probably see the introduction of a new character, a sassy and super-intelligent female Asian twenty-something that can inexplicably beat up 10 men at once with karate.

Vimana.
16-01-17, 09:41
.. being a BBC show, episode 3 will probably see the introduction of a new character, a sassy and super-intelligent person of indeterminate gender, Asian twenty-something that can inexplicably beat up 10 men at once with a leg caliper.

BBC'd yp

I like to be liberal minded, but when the offerings continually become too contrived, it starts to get a bit insulting IMO

Colonel Cærdiffi
16-01-17, 09:44
BBC'd yp

I like to be liberal minded, but when the offerings continually become too contrived, it starts to get a bit insulting IMO

Yes, how insensitive of me.

Vimana.
16-01-17, 09:50
Yes, how insensitive of me.

I meant the BBC's contrived offerings btw - not vous ;)

Colonel Cærdiffi
16-01-17, 09:52
I meant the BBC's contrived offerings btw - not vous ;)

Yeah I know, don't get all BBC on me now...

Vimana.
16-01-17, 10:02
:hehe:

Harry Lime
16-01-17, 11:49

It was very silly. I quite like some of the gimmicks but it has turned into Bond v's Crystal Maze with some Adam West Batman thrown in. Lost the plot and certainly lost me.

BlueWales
16-01-17, 11:58
That show disappeared up its own arse quite a while ago. Watched the first episode of this series and realised I wasn't interested in watching the rest.

Apparently it's too much to ask for a show about a clever detective and his faithful partner solving crimes, which is what it started out as, instead we get some oblique shitshow that jumps around like a 90's Tarantino movie while trying to simultaneously be gritty, flashy, broad and weirdly politically correct in that way BBC drama tends to be.

Better to give the Ridley Scott/Tom Hardy vehicle "Taboo" a watch, the first two episodes have been a good watch although, what with it being a BBC show, episode 3 will probably see the introduction of a new character, a sassy and super-intelligent female Asian twenty-something that can inexplicably beat up 10 men at once with karate.

I couldn't agree more. Moffat has ruined Doctor Who and with this series pretty well done for Sherlock too. How many writers can claim to have killed two superheroes ?

I also agree with you about Taboo too.

Robin Friday's Ghost
16-01-17, 12:35
It owed a lot more to Dr Who than it did to Conan Doyle.

Steve R
16-01-17, 15:13

:sherlock:

Pearcey3
16-01-17, 17:12
I hadn't watched the previous series of Sherlock but decided to watch this three parter. It was disjointed and incomprehensible and I had no interest in any of the characters.

Steve R
16-01-17, 17:15
I hadn't watched the previous series of Sherlock but decided to watch this three parter. It was disjointed and incomprehensible and I had no interest in any of the characters.

:hehe: and you still watched all 3 parts? :frown:

Mrs Steve R
16-01-17, 18:13

Don't get me started.

Not everyone says "This looks shit" during the opening credits like you. :hehe:

surge
16-01-17, 18:28
Think this series could be summed up in one of my friend's stating that Moffatt is obsessed with everyone being related, I'm a little surprised Moriaty wasn't a second cousin in the end, and my mum asking where the high functioning sociopath had gone.

The ongoing drama coming from Mary's past seemed to dominate the last 3 years (a downside of them being so spread apart) and I'm a little disappointed that she had the final monologue. Was it part of Martin Freeman's contract that she had to stick around? I did manage to enjoy the second and third episodes, though not as much as previous series.

Pearcey3
16-01-17, 18:30

I' m a patient man Mr SR . Engaging in posts with your goodself is also disjointed and incomprehensible but I am still prepared to do so "for the good of the country"

Mrs Steve R
16-01-17, 18:33
I' m a patient man Mr SR . Engaging in posts with your goodself is also disjointed and incomprehensible but I am still prepared to do so "for the good of the country"
Quick edit. :hehe:

Pearcey3
16-01-17, 18:36
Quick edit. :hehe:

Well deduced Mrs Holmes.😁

Something Blue
16-01-17, 18:36
Got it on catch up. It's about to get deleted due to the comments which I kind of thought it might be. I watched Silent Witness on catch up the other day, the one with the Syrian girls, it came across as very BBC biased in some parts.

surge
16-01-17, 18:39
Yep, he also had a best friend, but not a dog. Seems he'd forgotten/imagined all three...

Sister was more a repressed memory. I'm not sure what the term would be for altering his memory of his friend but he wasn't forgotten and the dog wasn't imagined.

If you haven't watched any of it yet and wondering if you should I would highly recommend the first two series.

TH63
16-01-17, 22:07
Confused the crap out of me tbh.

My recommendation - get some Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes DVD's

jon1959
16-01-17, 22:39
I enjoyed it.

Totally mad, but enjoyable.

More going on in 5 minutes of Sherlock than in an hour of many other dramas.

Forget any Conan Doyle influence - there's nothing much left but the names and the substance abuse.

Gofer Blue
16-01-17, 23:16
I enjoyed it.

Forget any Conan Doyle influence - there's nothing much left but the names and the substance abuse.

Exactly why I gave up on it a long time back.

the other bob wilson
17-01-17, 04:53
I've recorded the three episodes and was going to watch them all in one go - I'll start watching them and see what happens, but, based on the episode from last year, reviews I've read and what's being said on here, I can't see me lasting long. Just like the early Moffatt episodes on Doctor Who, Sherlock was a marvelous watch when it started, but there should be a verb to Moffatt, because I'm afraid, with me at least, he ends up making you not care about brilliant characters that had been created by someone else.

The thing is that as far as I'm concerned, if you do a programme about Sherlock Holmes and the Conan Doyle books become incidental in it, then what is the point? It just seems so self indulgent to me.

Now wait for me to come on here in a week's time raving about all three episodes :hehe:.

DubaiDai
17-01-17, 04:58
It was awful. Huge, lavish production[s] with ludicrous story lines, last night's being the most ridiculous yet. As each series progressed, it came away from an interesting detective-based thriller, to self indulgent clap trap..

Call me an old fashioned git, but the idea of Sherlock in the modern day played by Cumberbatch, is almost unwatchable.
Give me Jeremy Brett and the period Sherlock anytime.

nugent
17-01-17, 05:21
Call me an old fashioned git, but the idea of Sherlock in the modern day played by Cumberbatch, is almost unwatchable.
Give me Jeremy Brett and the period Sherlock anytime.

As many will agree. The first 2 series were great. If you haven't seen them then I totally recommended them

Robin Friday's Ghost
17-01-17, 06:52
And can I add that Moriarty is the least scary villain I've ever seen on the big or small screen. I enjoyed the earlier series a lot - except for the episode where they were back in Victorian times (Dr Who again?). Hopefully with this series being poorly received and the last episode being almost universally panned, they'll either get their act together or put it out of its misery.

Charlie
17-01-17, 11:16
I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it as well.
Mad, confusing but utterly watchable. Nothing else like it.
Moffat has said that Holmes and Watson are now at the end of chapter one of their story and are now in a place to become the characters that we knew previously.
All depends on the two leads if it will continue, hope so but considering they are both now recurring characters in Marvel movies chances are low.

Colonel Cærdiffi
17-01-17, 17:22
http://newsthump.com/2017/01/16/missing-persons-case-opened-after-sherlock-writer-vanishes-up-his-own-arse/

MacAdder
18-01-17, 17:28
My recommendation - get some Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes DVD's

I second this.
Rathbone and Nigel Bruce have never been bettered :thumbup:

the other bob wilson
25-01-17, 08:53
I watched all of three of them over the past three days and my attitude to them was very mixed.

Enjoyed the first one more than I expected, the second one (which was, very loosely, based on one of my favourite Holmes stories) literally sent me to sleep and the final one, while being a bit silly, appealed to me in the way Jon talked about - interesting, but, as he said, you have to forget the Conan-Doyle influence.

life on mars
26-01-17, 22:19
What happened to his pipe, and when did he evolve into a super hero, smack head.

Temujin
26-01-17, 22:28
They were fanstastic and the only logical way to tie off the series. Once Holmes was established as one of the worlds gretest minds the series always had to be ramped up to the ending that occurred.

There was no point him solving the hum drum within minutes (by this series) as it wold have become tiresome pretty quickly. The stakes had risen so much that the way it ended was pretty much the only way it could whilst challenging Holmes.