View Full Version : Joe Ledley

Former Labour leader
24-05-17, 10:42
Strong rumours he's on his way back.
Happy? Where does he fit in?
Not sure myself.

Pedro de la Rosa
24-05-17, 11:03
Put him next to Gunnar, then you have a solid base to play 3 in front of them behind Zohore. He's a much better player and passer than Ralls.

City123
Holding midfielder behind Gunnarsson/Ralls?

Depends how we want to play really, he'd be a solid holding midfielder and also a good partner for Gunnarsson

Zenith
Better than all central players we have

BLUETIT
24-05-17, 11:23
Hope he shaves that frigging beard off first.

binman
24-05-17, 11:24
Strong rumours he's on his way back.
Happy? Where does he fit in?
Not sure myself.

Would absolutely love it if he came back

Swansea regained their form when 35 year old Leon Britton came back into their side

Joe is 30 and would make us better - no brainer

Blue in the Face
24-05-17, 11:29

hairesy

bluethrough
24-05-17, 11:33

Or better still would be Gunnar growing his back. That would look like a frightening midfield

BLUETIT
24-05-17, 11:37
Or better still would be Gunnar growing his back. That would look like a frightening midfield

Ya, really frighting, NOT !
http://itsgoneviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/UA.jpg

Other teams would be pi$$ing themselves :hehe:

O

Blue in the Face
24-05-17, 11:43
tie Gunnar's and Joe's beards together and put them in goal

BlueWales
24-05-17, 11:48

Couldn't agree more. Where did the ISIS chic look originate ? Who wants to look
like a ferking suicide bomber ?

I'd welcome Joe home though.

Rjk
24-05-17, 11:55
Warnock's QPR team played with 2 deep cm in derry and faurlin. Also kind of makes sense if we are looking at having attacking fullbacks.
That leaves either 2 wingers and 2 strikers or wingers a number 10 and a striker.

Steve the Tea
24-05-17, 12:49
We need pace in the side and Ledley does not have that, sadly.

StT.
<><

Rjk
24-05-17, 12:56
We need pace in the side and Ledley does not have that, sadly.

StT.
<><

We do need pace, but in Warnock's QPR team he had 2 sitting midfielders to free up players like routledge, taraabt buzaky Ephraim to focus on attacking.
Pace in the side doesn't have to mean every player

severncity
24-05-17, 13:11
Well his house in Penarth is being renovated. I walk past it often as my parents live nearby. Would love to see him back, I remember his debut - what a bundle of energy, speed and skill he was. Also his two goals at Wembley were two of the biggest moments I've had as a City supporter.

Pedro de la Rosa
24-05-17, 13:12
We do need pace, but in Warnock's QPR team he had 2 sitting midfielders to free up players like routledge, taraabt buzaky Ephraim to focus on attacking.

Exactly, and he's free. Personally I think if we can get him back, we should but if we can get him back on sensible wages it is a low risk, high potential move. If you get a base of him and Gunnar, with two wingers and a quick/creative 10 in front as we were playing near the end of the season, we'd be well set up! Also, even if he isn't the quickest, he can run all day.

Pedro de la Rosa
24-05-17, 13:14
Well his house in Penarth is being renovated. I walk past it often as my parents live nearby. Would love to see him back, I remember his debut - what a bundle of energy, speed and skill he was. Also his two goals at Wembley were two of the biggest moments I've had as a City supporter.

I loved that goal vs Sheff United. A massive goal and a massive result, the day after we sold Kav.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/4300319.stm

life on mars
24-05-17, 14:13
Would be a good buy , I understand hes a character in the dressing room as well which helps in a three with Ralls who is till learning and Gunnerson , should give us a helva of an engine room , whcih we then supplement with two wing backs or wingers pushed higher up the field .

If he is considering offers I think he owes us one,as I felt at the time he could have signed a contract and enabled a fee to paid to us before moving to Celtic

Steve the Tea
24-05-17, 14:32

With respect we've already got sitting midfielders: Gunnars, Ralls, O'Keefe, each with far more pace than Ledley. Furthermore, Bamba can also play in that position.

StT.
<><

Rjk
24-05-17, 15:05
With respect we've already got sitting midfielders: Gunnars, Ralls, O'Keefe, each with far more pace than Ledley. Furthermore, Bamba can also play in that position.

StT.
<><

Not convinced by bamba in midfield, O'Keefe is out of favour and ralls isn't really a player who will sit and protect the back 4.
Ledley is an improvement on any of them

Pedro de la Rosa
24-05-17, 15:07

StT.
<><

They may be more mobile but they're not very good at football. If you want team of runners, get some Olympians in. Joe can pick a pass and get around the pitch. Look at HRK's goal vs Slovakia, it's Ledley's ball which opens them up. He's a much better player than you give him credit for.

FWIW I think Gunnar and Ralls are good at what they do they're hardly creative forces though.

PontBlue
24-05-17, 17:17
Hopefully he can convince his best mate in the Wales setup to become our keeper.

City123
24-05-17, 17:56

StT.
<><
There's more to football than pace, Ledley is a far better footballer than all those you've mentioned

Steve the Tea
24-05-17, 19:09
There's more to football than pace, Ledley is a far better footballer than all those you've mentioned

There's not when you haven't got any of it.

StT.
<><

City123
24-05-17, 22:17

StT.
<><
Footballing ability is more important than physical attributes, what's the point being quick if you can't pass or control a ball?

Lawnmower
25-05-17, 05:06
Footballing ability is more important than physical attributes, what's the point being quick if you can't pass or control a ball?

I don't know why people are saying he's slow. Ledley was and still is a very mobile footballer with a great engine.

I don't reckon he's slow for a central midfielder and certainly not compared to the ones we've got.

He's free and good enough to be a Wales regular and fringe Premiership player unless his wage demands are excessive then we should be delighted if he comes back

the other bob wilson
25-05-17, 05:33
People have been talking about our side lacking pace for years (with me having plenty to say on the subject as well), but I thought we took significant steps towards sorting the problem out in the second half of the season just ended - especially in attack. If Hoilett and Kadeem Harris sign new contracts, then we'll have a front three which compares well with most in the Championship when it comes to sheer pace and, even if Manga leaves, we have centrebacks with decent pace in Connolly and Bamba, while Morrison is not as slow as many make him out to be - our full backs are seldom found wanting for pace either.

I agree that we could do with more pace in central midfield and Joe Ledley would not provide that, but as Lawnmower says, he shows little sign of losing the mobility he has always possessed - if I would like to see us with a bit more pace in midfield, it would be in the area behind our striker (i.e. a number ten) and Ledley has never been that sort of player.

As far as I'm concerned, Joe Ledley would improve the team and he's always been a real team man, so I'd definitely like to see him come home if a deal can be done.

Blue in the Face
29-05-17, 12:55
Bumping this thread because it's a good discussion on Joe from a football standpoint.

Warnock's QPR team played with 2 deep cm in derry and faurlin. Also kind of makes sense if we are looking at having attacking fullbacks.
That leaves either 2 wingers and 2 strikers or wingers a number 10 and a striker.

That OPR team is what I imagine to be Warnock's ideal system. The main reason being that he was given plenty of freedom to sign a ton of players, therefore we can assume he shaped the team how he wanted to.

Neither Derry nor Faulin were quick. In fact, the contrary. Derry was a very very slow player. But it makes total sense to me to load the middle of the pitch with defensive players. This is where most goals are conceded. It also gives us license to be more caviller on the flanks. I wonder if Declan might be given another chance to prove himself?

People have been talking about our side lacking pace for years (with me having plenty to say on the subject as well), but I thought we took significant steps towards sorting the problem out in the second half of the season just ended - especially in attack. If Hoilett and Kadeem Harris sign new contracts, then we'll have a front three which compares well with most in the Championship when it comes to sheer pace and, even if Manga leaves, we have centrebacks with decent pace in Connolly and Bamba, while Morrison is not as slow as many make him out to be - our full backs are seldom found wanting for pace either.

I agree that we could do with more pace in central midfield and Joe Ledley would not provide that, but as Lawnmower says, he shows little sign of losing the mobility he has always possessed - if I would like to see us with a bit more pace in midfield, it would be in the area behind our striker (i.e. a number ten) and Ledley has never been that sort of player.

As far as I'm concerned, Joe Ledley would improve the team and he's always been a real team man, so I'd definitely like to see him come home if a deal can be done.

Ledley and Gunnar on recent form would be terrific and we'll be extremely hard to play through.

Agree on the no.10. Pace and mobility and the ability for us to pull the opposition out of position will be key. An ideal could be we opt for another similarity from that excellent QPR side in that the no.10 and the wingers all have the ability to switch positions and interchange during the game. Hoillet can certainly play this way. But for me, Kadeem hasn't shown enough footballing smarts in the past to play this way. Pilkington certainly can positionally and with his ambidextrousness, but has proved too inconsistent and has too little pace for the task.

Rjk
29-05-17, 13:36
Bumping this thread because it's a good discussion on Joe from a football standpoint.

That OPR team is what I imagine to be Warnock's ideal system. The main reason being that he was given plenty of freedom to sign a ton of players, therefore we can assume he shaped the team how he wanted to.

Neither Derry nor Faulin were quick. In fact, the contrary. Derry was a very very slow player. But it makes total sense to me to load the middle of the pitch with defensive players. This is where most goals are conceded. It also gives us license to be more caviller on the flanks. I wonder if Declan might be given another chance to prove himself?

Ledley and Gunnar on recent form would be terrific and we'll be extremely hard to play through.

Agree on the no.10. Pace and mobility and the ability for us to pull the opposition out of position will be key. An ideal could be we opt for another similarity from that excellent QPR side in that the no.10 and the wingers all have the ability to switch positions and interchange during the game. Hoillet can certainly play this way. But for me, Kadeem hasn't shown enough footballing smarts in the past to play this way. Pilkington certainly can positionally and with his ambidextrousness, but has proved too inconsistent and has too little pace for the task.

I totally agree about a number 10, that's the missing part of the puzzle for me.
Not sure who we could get who could do the job though, as good ones are hard to come by.
Warnock had taarabt at QPR and gave him carte blanche to do his thing. Was unplayable in the championship, but has been useless ever since.

Another alternative would be to go with 2 out and out strikers and play a 4-2-2-2.
Under Dave Jones we had deep central midfielders and wingers with 2 strikers.

Thoth
29-05-17, 13:52
Agreed personal terms apparently.

Rjk
29-05-17, 14:01
Theres a number 10 called Robert Zulj who's available on a free and has been one of the stand out players in bundersliga II. Will probably go to a bigger club than us though.

Blue in the Face
29-05-17, 14:38
Agreed personal terms apparently.

Where did you hear this babes?

Theres a number 10 called Robert Zulj who's available on a free and has been one of the stand out players in bundersliga II. Will probably go to a bigger club than us though.

Maybe we need a "player scout" thread to help the club out :thumbup:

Rjk
29-05-17, 14:41
Where did you hear this babes?

Maybe we need a "player scout" thread to help the club out :thumbup:

Hopefully the club scouting network extends further than this message board.

Apparently Mainz are after this Zulj fella so that's probably the end of that.
Pity as his you tube montage is pretty impressive

Blue in the Face
29-05-17, 14:49
Hopefully the club scouting network extends further than this message board.

Apparently Mainz are after this Zulj fella so that's probably the end of that.
Pity as his you tube montage is pretty impressive

Will check him out.

The club's scouting network definitely goes further than CCMB.

They check youtube too apparently.

Michael Morris
29-05-17, 14:50
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Joe Ledley has agreed personal terms ahead of his move to rejoin Cardiff City <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bluebirds?src=hash">#Bluebirds</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CCFC?src=hash">#CCFC</a> <a href="https://t.co/eBEFKRXPGn">pic.twitter.com/eBEFKRXPGn</a></p>&mdash; FL92Transfer (@FL92Transfer) <a href="https://twitter.com/FL92Transfer/status/869141662374776832">May 29, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Colonel Cærdiffi
29-05-17, 15:13
Well here he is at the CCS with a shirt on so it must be a done deal:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/joe-ledley-of-cardiff-city-celebrates-after-winning-the-cocacola-picture-id99158404?s=612x612

City123
29-05-17, 15:13
Will check him out.

The club's scouting network definitely goes further than CCMB.

They check youtube too apparently.
And Football Manager

Blue in the Face
29-05-17, 15:21
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Joe Ledley has agreed personal terms ahead of his move to rejoin Cardiff City <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bluebirds?src=hash">#Bluebirds</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CCFC?src=hash">#CCFC</a> <a href="https://t.co/eBEFKRXPGn">pic.twitter.com/eBEFKRXPGn</a></p>— FL92Transfer (@FL92Transfer) <a href="https://twitter.com/FL92Transfer/status/869141662374776832">May 29, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Please say it's so!

Well here he is at the CCS with a shirt on so it must be a done deal:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/joe-ledley-of-cardiff-city-celebrates-after-winning-the-cocacola-picture-id99158404?s=612x612

Photoshop mate. They put the beard in the wrong place.

Championship Manager

FYP

Rjk
29-05-17, 15:51
If true, welcome back Joe.

Nice to see the club doing some good business early too

TH63
29-05-17, 16:43
http://m.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/he-s-going-home-crystal-palace-man-looks-set-for-free-transfer-to-cardiff-city/story-30357571-detail/story.html

City123
29-05-17, 16:46
Please say it's so!

Photoshop mate. They put the beard in the wrong place.

FYP
:hehe:

They're getting their worth out of Mehmet's copy

mrbluejay
29-05-17, 20:27

Chris Ledley shared this earlier, looks positive.

kingbillyboy
29-05-17, 20:39
dont get your hopes up lads. ma sources tell me that joe is quitting football. he has studied meterolgogy and has a job lined up with bbc wales to replace derek as a weatherman.

sneggyblubird
30-05-17, 09:12

StT.
<><

Paul Scholes and Ray Wilkins spring to mind as top draw defensive midfield players with not an ounce of pace between them.

Pedro de la Rosa
30-05-17, 09:17
Ledley, Gunnar, Ralls - happy with that choice of midfield players.

Is Noone , Harris going ? havent heard any news on Whitts - presume 1st June is when they release players.

Contracts end on 30th June. They can talk to anyone now and sign pre-contracts from Friday (I think), or could have spoken to anyone abroad from 1st Jan.

Warnock said it is time for Noone to move on, he nearly went on loan to Burton in January. I'd imagine Whitts and Manga will go, with Harris and Hoilett staying. We've offered Harris a contract so clubs will have to go to a tribunal and pay a fee to get him as he's under 24.

the other bob wilson
30-05-17, 09:20

Chris Ledley shared this earlier, looks positive.

Hope that's a preview of our kit for next season as well, although that does look suspiciously like a redbird on the shorts :hehe:.

Fatty Foggon
30-05-17, 09:24
Hope that's a preview of our kit for next season as well, although that does look suspiciously like a redbird on the shorts :hehe:.

.. and a squad number. :-)

mrbluejay
30-05-17, 09:50

It's the old badge Bob :ayatollah:

Fine Lines
30-05-17, 12:03
Contracts end on 30th June. They can talk to anyone now and sign pre-contracts from Friday (I think), or could have spoken to anyone abroad from 1st Jan.

Warnock said it is time for Noone to move on, he nearly went on loan to Burton in January. I'd imagine Whitts and Manga will go, with Harris and Hoilett staying. We've offered Harris a contract so clubs will have to go to a tribunal and pay a fee to get him as he's under 24.

That's how I understand the contract situation too. Will start to see things happen in June.

Regarding Kadeem , don't we only get a fee if he was part of our academy ?

Pedro de la Rosa
30-05-17, 12:38
That's how I understand the contract situation too. Will start to see things happen in June.

Regarding Kadeem , don't we only get a fee if he was part of our academy ?

No, we get a fee as he has been offered a contract on an equal or higher wage (presumably) and is under 23. It will go to a tribunal if the clubs can't agree a fee. For example, Ings cost Liverpool £6.5m, plus £1.5 in bonuses and 20% sell on, this was agreed at tribunal.

life on mars
30-05-17, 16:58
No, we get a fee as he has been offered a contract on an equal or higher wage (presumably) and is under 23. It will go to a tribunal if the clubs can't agree a fee. For example, Ings cost Liverpool £6.5m, plus £1.5 in bonuses and 20% sell on, this was agreed at tribunal.

Sell him bring in Willie Anderson for some real width and quality crossing, he's out of contract

gabbsthenewt
30-05-17, 21:36
He's not replied to tweets asking if he's coming to the city - could mean anything but I like to think it's because he's keeping the fact he's far down the line to signing up to CCFC hidden till it's official.

Blue in the Face
31-05-17, 13:08
:sulk:

Joe Ledley: Neil Warnock plays down Cardiff City return link

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40108927

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock has played down suggestions Crystal Palace midfielder Joe Ledley could return to the club.

Wales international Ledley, 30, is out of contract this summer.

But he is not a target for Warnock, who also said Cardiff winger Kadeem Harris has agreed to sign a new deal.

"I know Joe. I was at Palace with him, he's a very good pro, but I've not heard from his people and I've not made any enquiries," said Warnock.

Cardiff-born Ledley spent six years with the Bluebirds at the start of his career, making 258 appearances.

He joined Celtic in 2010 before moving on to Palace in 2014, where he played under Warnock.

The former Sheffield United manager has already made two signings during the off-season, goalkeeper Neil Etheridge and winger Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

The latter will provide competition for the likes of Harris and Junior Hoilett, who are currently vying for places on Cardiff's flanks.

Harris, 23, enjoyed a breakthrough campaign last season as he made 38 appearances for the Bluebirds.

With the former Wycombe player's current deal about to expire, Warnock wants to see him push on next season.

"Kadeem has agreed a contract. Everything's been agreed apart from his signature," the 68-year-old told BBC Wales Sport.

"He's got the confidence. I'm hopefully going to sign players to give him competition because I don't think we got enough goals from Kadeem and Junior last year.

"They know that, they've got to produce more goals, but they were both instrumental in a good run."

No deadline for Whittingham

Another whose contract expires this summer is Peter Whittingham, Cardiff's longest-serving current player.

As one of the club's highest earners, the 32-year-old has been offered a new one-year deal on reduced terms.

"In Peter's case, quite rightly so because it's a reduced offer, he's looking at his options," said Warnock.

"If he could get two years - and his agent says one or two clubs are offering him that - then you can't blame him.

"It's up to Peter. I think he'd be better off with us. I'm not really looking to replace him.

"I'm not saying he's going to be a regular but I think he could definitely make a good contribution.

"I've not set a deadline, I've not got anyone lined up in that respect. He's got to work out what's best for his family at this stage of his career."

Pedro de la Rosa
31-05-17, 13:50
Well, that's the end of that then. Or is it... :sherlock:

Blue in the Face
31-05-17, 14:24
Well, that's the end of that then. Or is it... :sherlock:

It's not like NW to not tell it like it is. The only reason why I could think the club might want to go for a white lie would be to build up the hype of the transfer a bit more. But I'm just conjuring up reasons in saying that. Sounds like a dead end really.

Truth is, it's not an area of the pitch that we'd be up for blowing out wage budget on. Maybe later in the window after we can see how the squad is shaping up.

The rumours could have come from the Lesley camp, reminding clubs of his availability. Perhaps the newly promoted sides can offer him PL wages. We won't be able too.

Pedro de la Rosa
31-05-17, 15:59
It's not like NW to not tell it like it is. The only reason why I could think the club might want to go for a white lie would be to build up the hype of the transfer a bit more. But I'm just conjuring up reasons in saying that. Sounds like a dead end really.

Truth is, it's not an area of the pitch that we'd be up for blowing out wage budget on. Maybe later in the window after we can see how the squad is shaping up.

The rumours could have come from the Lesley camp, reminding clubs of his availability. Perhaps the newly promoted sides can offer him PL wages. We won't be able too.

No but he's not named names before and has surely distanced himself from targets int he past. That being said, I don't think it is very likely, although Phil Smith did say that once Warnock asked him to run the linked targets by him in case he forgot to look at anyone obvious! :hehe: