PDA

View Full Version : Americanisms in the work place

tomcat
02-06-17, 08:45
I have noticed over the last 30 yrs that the youngsters in work are increasingly using more and more US phrases, apparently one of them coming in to work "pissed" isn't the same as it used to be. Don't get me started on coffee shops :shrug:

Rjk
02-06-17, 08:49
Inevitable really, given the amount of American culture we get over here.

tomcat
02-06-17, 08:51
I reckon they're the "Disney Channel" generation

ian gibson
02-06-17, 08:54
The next tw*t who comes in the pub and says to the barman "can I get" when asking for drinks, is going to get chucked through the facking window, argh, does my head in.

TH63
02-06-17, 08:55
I have noticed over the last 30 yrs that the youngsters in work are increasingly using more and more US phrases, apparently one of them coming in to work "pissed" isn't the same as it used to be. Don't get me started on coffee shops :shrug:

I have frequently had to go and have a quiet word with myself after asking for my morning double shot Americano with space to go

Igovernor
02-06-17, 08:55
lets touch base on this subject :hehe:

Hilts
02-06-17, 08:58
Rookie now being heard a lot for debutants. Hate the word.

BlueWales
02-06-17, 08:59
The use of " Impact ".

Rjk
02-06-17, 09:10
The next tw*t who comes in the pub and says to the barman "can I get" when asking for drinks, is going to get chucked through the facking window, argh, does my head in.

Susy Sent was on the radio the other day and she was saying that "can I get" style of usage of the word get started in British English a long time ago, think it was in Shakespeare possibly

Taunton Blue Genie
02-06-17, 09:19
Work Colleagues

Taunton Blue Genie
02-06-17, 09:23
Susy Sent was on the radio the other day and she was saying that "can I get" style of usage of the word get started in British English a long time ago, think it was in Shakespeare possibly

Many 'American' words and phrases are from an older form of English. Languages tend to change quicker when spoken by large populations - and what were once smaller colonies retained features of the language long since abandoned by the linguistic mother countries.

neilw65
02-06-17, 09:23
Reach out, as in can you reach out to someone

Taunton Blue Genie
02-06-17, 09:27
Reach out, as in can you reach out to someone

That's Old English too.

LordKenwyne
02-06-17, 09:42
Don't know if it's american but it annoys me greatly when people say things in that NATO phonetic alphabet like whisky alfa bravo

I have people calling my work reading them off so frantically youd think they were trying to send coordinates in Vietnam.

I know it is helpful sometimes but it takes me more time to work out what begins with what.

Kris
02-06-17, 09:57
Don't know if it's american but it annoys me greatly when people say things in that NATO phonetic alphabet like whisky alfa bravo

I have people calling my work reading them off so frantically youd think they were trying to send coordinates in Vietnam.

I know it is helpful sometimes but it takes me more time to work out what begins with what.

One time a colleague was giving out a password to a user over the phone.

It's a for affect.... No Affect. Not effect
It's m for mnemonic...
P for pneumonia
T for tsunami

etc etc.

The user called back shortly afterwards with a locked account. How we laughed.

TH63
02-06-17, 10:01
The use of " Impact ".

Guilty as charged :hide:

LordKenwyne
02-06-17, 10:12

It's m for mnemonic...
P for pneumonia
T for tsunami

etc etc.

:hehe:

Taunton Blue Genie
02-06-17, 10:19
The use of " Impact ".

In what way? It has been used as both a noun and a verb for centuries. Used since the thirties in the context of having a forceful effect on something.

BlueWales
02-06-17, 12:08
In what way? It has been used as both a noun and a verb for centuries. Used since the thirties in the context of having a forceful effect on something.

Same for to ACTION something. Despite your claim both these words weren't used as they now are in the UK until we turned into the 53rd state.

You have an impact upon something or you take action to sort out something. Lazy Yankisms which the BBC et al should never have got into using.

lardy
02-06-17, 12:30
Same for to ACTION something. Despite your claim both these words weren't used as they now are in the UK until we turned into the 53rd state.

You have an impact upon something or you take action to sort out something. Lazy Yankisms which the BBC et al should never have got into using.

53rd?

TH63
02-06-17, 12:33
53rd?

Some people think the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico are states.

They're not

Fine Lines
02-06-17, 13:11
Starting a sentence with "So" as in "So, I was driving to work....." it seems to be used as a way of getting what u want say out as abruptly as possible and without any consideration if the person you are talking to wants to hear it.

J R Hartley
02-06-17, 13:27
People who use Best instead of Regards when signing off an email.

Not sure if thats an Americanism but its annoying

lardy
02-06-17, 13:41

Regards isn't much better.

Taunton Blue Genie
02-06-17, 13:42
Yay.

Heathblue
02-06-17, 13:43

I've noticed this over the past year

splott parker
02-06-17, 16:16
Definitely American, Four Tops isn't it? 'Reach Out' that is.

bobh
02-06-17, 18:02

It's m for mnemonic...
P for pneumonia
T for tsunami

etc etc.

Bet you had a write laugh!

bobh
02-06-17, 18:05
We all have to think outside the box and leverage the low-hanging fruit to maximise our deliverables.

Rocco Siffredi
02-06-17, 18:50
Almost thirty replies in the thread , I did the math and this is above average grade for the forum

Baloo
02-06-17, 18:54
We have an American MD and after company meetings he asks us to do a power clap, which is a single clap all together.

Excruciating.

life on mars
02-06-17, 19:00
We all need to "" "touch base "" on this matter.

Taunton Blue Genie
02-06-17, 19:09
I used to have an American girlfriend and one bit of terminology I did like was 'boo boo kisses' i.e. therapeutic kisses administered to small children's injuries who are crying after grazing their knees etc.

splott parker
02-06-17, 19:32
Any booby kisses TBG?

The Bloop
02-06-17, 20:07
Bet you had a write laugh!

Is that W for write?

Ainsley Harriott
02-06-17, 22:47

53rd?

Someone hasn't done the math...

jon1959
03-06-17, 07:06

This

Rhiw-Blue
03-06-17, 07:22
This

It's always pi$$ed me off too more than most.

I'm never comfortable with this new handshake thats crept in over the last 5-10 years and you can do one if you think I'm fist bumping you also.

I'm guessing this all crept in from the states too?

TH63
03-06-17, 07:51
When I was in the states recently I was walking down the street with my Mrs and coming towards me was some random bloke in his 30's with his mrs.
About 6 feet away he put his hand in the air, a bit bemused I carried on walking only to hear him shout "aw hey man, don't leave me hangin' "

blue matt
03-06-17, 13:03
When I was in the states recently I was walking down the street with my Mrs and coming towards me was some random bloke in his 30's with his mrs.
About 6 feet away he put his hand in the air, a bit bemused I carried on walking only to hear him shout "aw hey man, don't leave me hangin' "

disappointed in you, you have been over to the US enough times to know that rule :angry:

Watcliff
03-06-17, 19:47
The word 'guys' is lazy and cringeworthy

Colonel Cærdiffi
06-06-17, 07:22
Referring to food as "eats".

Taunton Blue Genie
06-06-17, 11:14
Sweatpants and sneakers.

Joe Gillis
06-06-17, 13:40
Referring to food as "eats".

Sides ffs, what are they!

BlueWales
06-06-17, 20:50
Some silly woman presenter on 5 Live Today used the expression " garbage dumpster " when
what she meant was a skip.

Taunton Blue Genie
06-06-17, 21:57
Some silly woman presenter on 5 Live Today used the expression " garbage dumpster " when
what she meant was a skip.

It's enough to make one eat one's fanny pack.

nugent
07-06-17, 05:12
I am embarrassed to say I use the term "from the get go"

Croesy Blue
07-06-17, 06:23
Sides ffs, what are they!
It's just short fire side dish.

A thread full of miserable old bastards complaining about the evolution of language. People need to relax.

Dr Lecter
07-06-17, 07:03
We have an American MD and after company meetings he asks us to do a power clap, which is a single clap all together.

Excruciating.

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

That's brilliant.

You do realise he's probably just making that shit up to see if you people will go along with anything the boss suggests?

Dr Lecter
07-06-17, 07:04

A thread full of miserable old bastards complaining about the evolution of language. People need to relax.

Evolution doesn't always mean progress.

You're right though about the miserable old bastards complaining - why else do you think we all come on here?

lardy
07-06-17, 07:05
Evolution doesn't always mean progress.

You're right though about the miserable old bastards complaining - why else do you think we all come on here?

lecters offff agin ffs

TH63
07-06-17, 07:57
I am embarrassed to say I use the term "from the get go"

That's what happens when your football team's owners are American.

The Bloop
07-06-17, 08:05
It's the slow infiltration of American spellings into our everyday usage that bugs me.
It's all Microsofts fault that organization now has a 'z' instead of an 's' and there's plenty of other examples aswell.

nugent
07-06-17, 08:42
That's what happens when your football team's owners are American.

Ffs mun

Taunton Blue Genie
07-06-17, 11:45

Don't you mean 'chillax'?

xsnaggle
07-06-17, 19:59
A garbage dumster isn't a skip, it's a vehicle that picks up wheelie bins and tips them (or dumps the contents) into the back of the truck.

My pet hate is when you are trying to do something on the phone and the person you are talking to makes an error and then says "Oh sorry, my bad!!"

I said to one girl after 4 or 5 of these,"If you're so bad why don't you change your job."
She hung up.

Barry Shitpeas
07-06-17, 23:07
[QUOTE=xsnaggle;4748682]A garbage dumster isn't a skip, it's a vehicle that picks up wheelie bins and tips them (or dumps the contents) into the back of the truck.

My pet hate is when you are trying to do something on the phone and the person you are talking to makes an error and then says "Oh sorry, my bad!!"

It's a bin lorry then isn't it. Actually I'm sure we used to call it the ash cart when I was a kid.

And that "my bad" bollox can sod off back across the Atlantic a bit lively too.

ZZ Jack
07-06-17, 23:17

So it was you! I was in the USA just last week and that still walking around, hand in the air, looking for you.

ZZ Jack
07-06-17, 23:25
We are not alone. I saw this item, which I believe was from The Guardian, which sums up how our language is being corrupted.

bobh
08-06-17, 07:23
[QUOTE=xsnaggle;4748682]A garbage dumster isn't a skip, it's a vehicle that picks up wheelie bins and tips them (or dumps the contents) into the back of the truck.

It's a bin lorry then isn't it. Actually I'm sure we used to call it the ash cart when I was a kid.

And that "my bad" bollox can sod off back across the Atlantic a bit lively too.

Me too. :old:
The (metal) bin was usually full of ash from the coal fire(s) in the house - hardly any of the crap we throw out these days.
That's why most plastic bins have "no hot ashes" embossed on them.