PDA

View Full Version : Loic Damour

BlueToujours
25-07-17, 17:34
Just been reading this

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10960006/naby-keitas-rapid-rise-from-unknown-teenager-to-70m-liverpool-target

Shows that there is undiscovered talent in the lower reaches of French football. Let's hope that Loic turns out to be the same!!

life on mars
25-07-17, 17:46
He's the Pogba of the Championship, he's already destroyed Devon n Cornwall.

Ring_Peace
25-07-17, 18:21
He's the Pogba of the Championship, he's already destroyed Devon n Cornwall.

An undiluted gene pool did that!

Rjk
25-07-17, 18:40
Ligue 2 isn't exactly non league. Its not that much lower than the championship, probably better than league one..

itkman
25-07-17, 18:41
Ligue 2 isn't exactly non league. Its not that much lower than the championship, probably better than league one..

You do know you're contradicting "The Authority"?

Rjk
25-07-17, 19:04
You do know you're contradicting "The Authority"?

Who's that?

Kris
25-07-17, 19:26
Keita left the French second division whilst a teenager. Loic Damour is 25.

Kris
25-07-17, 19:27

What are you basing that on?

Pedro de la Rosa
25-07-17, 19:27

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The drop off in France is huge.

Kris
25-07-17, 19:44
I wouldn't be so sure of that. The drop off in France is huge.

There are clubs in their top flight who would not make the play offs in the Championship. Their second division is mid league 1 to lower league 2 standard.

Rjk
25-07-17, 19:46
What are you basing that on?

Wage bills, squad values, number of players making it into the top leagues.

Rjk
25-07-17, 19:47
There are clubs in their top flight who would not make the play offs in the Championship. Their second division is mid league 1 to lower league 2 standard.

Their second division is roughly between league one and the championship by my calculations.

Better than the SPL.

Kris
25-07-17, 19:50
Their second division is roughly between league one and the championship by my calculations.

Better than the SPL.

I'm interested, what are these calculations?

Rjk
25-07-17, 20:10

Something I'm working on, only got data for a few leagues so far, but those are included.

Tbh you can get a pretty good approximation just going off wage bill probably.

Kris
25-07-17, 20:16
Something I'm working on, only got data for a few leagues so far, but those are included.

Tbh you can get a pretty good approximation just going off wage bill probably.

Fair enough. Would like to see more because I'm basing my thoughts on having watched some second division games in France a few years back.

Rjk
25-07-17, 20:23
Fair enough. Would like to see more because I'm basing my thoughts on having watched some second division games in France a few years back.

If you watched a handful of our games over the last few years I dread to think what level you would estimate for the championship :hehe:

I may share my workings once it is finished.

Kris
25-07-17, 20:24
If you watched a handful of our games over the last few years I dread to think what level you would estimate for the championship :hehe:

I may share my workings once it is finished.

Thank you!

Rjk
25-07-17, 20:38
Thank you!

Currently the championship (and to a lesser extent the premier league) stand out a bit from other leagues around Europe, in that there appears to be much less of a drop off from top to bottom of the league. Plotting them all on a graph, most leagues are on a similar gradient, but the championship kind of slopes out sideways, and overlaps with some stronger leagues.

Trying to establish if this is a genuine effect, or due to a UK bias in the data. It feels real but then i may have the same bias.

Thoth
25-07-17, 20:41

It seems you've been everywhere, seen everything and done everything.

Good on you!

Kris
25-07-17, 20:58
It seems you've been everywhere, seen everything and done everything.

Good on you!

Thankyou, but you exaggerate. Me seeing a football game or 3 in France is barely a sign I am well travelled!

the other bob wilson
26-07-17, 04:18

They're based on a bit more than watching three matches it seems. I've watched three matches from Ligue 2 down the years and wouldn't think that makes me that knowledgeable about it, but, for what it's worth, I agree with the somewhere between the Championship and League One view of Rjk. Looking at where Bourge-Péronnas finished in the table last season, I'd say that they'd probably be relegated if they were suddenly dropped into the Championship, but would be okay in League One - it's entirely feasible that a player coming from a side like that could do a decent job for a side in our league.

WJ99mobile
26-07-17, 17:50
Jamie Vardy.

Kris
26-07-17, 23:09
They're based on a bit more than watching three matches it seems. I've watched three matches from Ligue 2 down the years and wouldn't think that makes me that knowledgeable about it, but, for what it's worth, I agree with the somewhere between the Championship and League One view of Rjk. Looking at where Bourge-Péronnas finished in the table last season, I'd say that they'd probably be relegated if they were suddenly dropped into the Championship, but would be okay in League One - it's entirely feasible that a player coming from a side like that could do a decent job for a side in our league.
Correct me if I am wrong, but none of his calculations of various leagues rely on watching games. That is odd to me. I've seen 3 games live, and I'd be interested to know which teams you have watched and when. All 3 of the games I saw were in Brest last season, a side chasing promotion who were good to watch. The standard was not good, and teams at the bottom of the table looked hapless. Brest would survive in the Championship, but nothing more than that.

BlueArmy 86
27-07-17, 00:46
Robert Huth

the other bob wilson
27-07-17, 04:15
Correct me if I am wrong, but none of his calculations of various leagues rely on watching games. That is odd to me. I've seen 3 games live, and I'd be interested to know which teams you have watched and when. All 3 of the games I saw were in Brest last season, a side chasing promotion who were good to watch. The standard was not good, and teams at the bottom of the table looked hapless. Brest would survive in the Championship, but nothing more than that.

Nah, I won't bother thanks. I've watched games in that league and and have a different opinion to you that's all. I'm a bit confused though because in one of your posts you say "I'm basing my thoughts on having watched some second division games in France a few years back" and yet, in reply to me, you said "All 3 of the games I saw were in Brest last season".

Kris
27-07-17, 06:42
Nah, I won't bother thanks.

Seeing as you can't be bothered to elaborate on your experiences of traveling to watch French football, I can't draw any conclusions on your views of French Liguria 2. Since RJK's spreadsheet is still in development, I can't draw any conclusions on that either.

So, I am left with my own experiences and opinions. Monaco would be a top 6 Premier team. Check out some of their results last season. The difference between Monaco and the clubs at the foot of the SAME division is much larger than the gap between Chelsea and clubs at the bottom of the Premier. Monaco were winning games 6-0, 6-2, 5-0 (3), and 4-0(4). If Ligue 2 is as strong as the Championship then how come Ligue 1 isn't anywhere as competitive as our own Premier division?

Damour could be a good signing, a late developer. But, Ligue 2 games are notoriously well scouted, and bargains are available. Damour has played an awfully long time at that level.

Croesy Blue
27-07-17, 07:02
Kris did you watch games last season or3 years ago.

I live in France but have only seen ligue 1 football but technically a lot of the teams are up there with PL teams. Monaco and PSG last season would both have been top 4 teams.

LordKenwyne
27-07-17, 07:30
There are some stinkers in their first division but teams like:

Lille
Marseille
Nice
Saint-Etienne
Bordeaux
Lyon

Could all be mid table here I think. Not that I saw any of them last year. I am going off what I know of them in the past. They aren't tin pot clubs anyway.

Rjk
27-07-17, 08:27
Here is a view of a simplified version, for only the leagues mentioned here.

Ligue 1 starts off as good as the top of the premier league and ends up towards the bottom of the championship. I bet they have some mismatches in that league.

That seems to be roughly in line with what people are saying from what they've seen also.

GRUMPYS DEN
27-07-17, 08:31
Nah, I won't bother thanks. I've watched games in that league and and have a different opinion to you that's all. I'm a bit confused though because in one of your posts you say "I'm basing my thoughts on having watched some second division games in France a few years back" and yet, in reply to me, you said "All 3 of the games I saw were in Brest last season".

That was lost on me too.Love these threads where people make judgements like this which are impossible to prove.Purely an opinion and nothing else.Only valid to the person making it in most cases.

LordKenwyne
27-07-17, 08:34

Ligue 1 starts off as good as the top of the premier league and ends up towards the bottom of the championship. I bet they have some mismatches in that league.

That seems to be roughly in line with what people are saying from what they've seen also.

What does that graph mean?.

Rjk
27-07-17, 08:45
A very rough assessment of relative strengths of the top 3 leagues in the English pyramid and the top 2 in France

Pedro de la Rosa
27-07-17, 08:48

That suggests the top team in the Championship is far superior to the second placed team, when they won the league by one point? Also, that suggests Newcastle are better than 6 PL sides, and roughly equal to 2 more? Also, it looks like the there are instances where a lower placed side is ranked higher than the side above it?

Kris
27-07-17, 08:52
That was lost on me too.Love these threads where people make judgements like this which are impossible to prove.Purely an opinion and nothing else.Only valid to the person making it in most cases.

I don't think I'm saying otherwise but it seems my actual experience of watching games in that league physically is not as important as a graph built on a one person study. Even the author says it is very rough!

On Damour, time will tell as always. Expectations seem unrealistic though, but what's new there?

Kris
27-07-17, 08:55
What does that graph mean?.

What are the parameters for building that graph?

And why are people unwilling to accept the huge gulf in class in the French top division? Monaco were hammering clubs at home last season.

Rjk
27-07-17, 08:59
That suggests the top team in the Championship is far superior to the second placed team, when they won the league by one point? Also, that suggests Newcastle are better than 6 PL sides, and roughly equal to 2 more? Also, it looks like the there are instances where a lower placed side is ranked higher than the side above it?

I wouldn't pay too much attention to individual points, they are averaged over a few seasons, and the way they're calculated doesn't necessarily follow league performance in an individual season.
It's more about the general trend of the league.

LordKenwyne
27-07-17, 09:01
What are the parameters for building that graph?

And why are people unwilling to accept the huge gulf in class in the French top division? Monaco were hammering clubs at home last season.

Ye the parameters is what I mean.

Kris
27-07-17, 09:01
I wouldn't pay too much attention to individual points, they are averaged over a few seasons, and the way they're calculated doesn't necessarily follow league performance in an individual season.
It's more about the general trend of the league.

That graph indicates that the top Championship club is better than 6 teams in the PL and equal to two others? How is that calculated, please?

Sorry, I see the exact same question was asked by Pedro.

ccfcwelshlad
27-07-17, 09:08
I'm a bit confused though because in one of your posts you say "I'm basing my thoughts on having watched some second division games in France a few years back" and yet, in reply to me, you said "All 3 of the games I saw were in Brest last season".

:hehe::hehe:

Rjk
27-07-17, 09:19
That graph indicates that the top Championship club is better than 6 teams in the PL and equal to two others? How is that calculated, please?

Sorry, I see the exact same question was asked by Pedro.
As I answered above, don't focus too much on the individual points, more the general trend.

I would say that the graph says that the top of the championship isn't that dissimilar to the bottom quarter or third of the premier league. Which I don't think is too far from the truth most seasons.

I'm not claiming it's perfect, but I find it useful to try to gauge the strengths of some of the lesser known European leagues

Croesy Blue
27-07-17, 09:44

People get too entrenched in their views and won't ever back down. Then some people will make up obvious rubbish to try and back themselves up but end up get lost in the lies themselves.

Rjk
27-07-17, 09:47
I don't think I'm saying otherwise but it seems my actual experience of watching games in that league physically is not as important as a graph built on a one person study. Even the author says it is very rough!

On Damour, time will tell as always. Expectations seem unrealistic though, but what's new there?

I would say that expectations of Damour have been really low.
Nobody seems to think he'll be in the first team anytime soon. Whereas players we have signed from league one or Scotland seem to have much more credibility on here.

Colonel Cærdiffi
27-07-17, 09:48
I'm a bit confused though because in one of your posts you say "I'm basing my thoughts on having watched some second division games in France a few years back" and yet, in reply to me, you said "All 3 of the games I saw were in Brest last season".

Did you get an answer to this?

Rjk
27-07-17, 10:18
I would say that expectations of Damour have been really low.
Nobody seems to think he'll be in the first team anytime soon. Whereas players we have signed from league one or Scotland seem to have much more credibility on here.

An alternative way of showing the data would be as a single figure for average of the league.

If the premier league is normalised to 100
This makes la Liga 94
Germany and Italy about 90

Championship about 66
League one 29

Ligue 1 80
Ligue 2 43

SPL would be 42 under that system (34 without Celtic).

Again, I'm not claiming that to be gospel. Just a bit of fun.

A single average value struggles a bit in leagues where there are 2 or 3 really strong sides and a load of shit

LordKenwyne
27-07-17, 10:24
An alternative way of showing the data would be as a single figure for average of the league.

This makes la Liga 94

Championship about 66
League one 29

Ligue 1 80
Ligue 2 43

A single average value struggles a bit in leagues where there are 2 or 3 really strong sides and a load of shit

I am abysmal and maths and all things associated. But I cannot grasp your idea, whatsoever!.

BlueArmy 86
27-07-17, 10:57
You're having a g-raph!

thehumblegringo
27-07-17, 11:33
I don't understand how this thread has evolved (probably the wrong word) like this!!

I don't care if someone has watched 3 games in ligue 2 or whether it's 16% better than the South Wales senior league!

All i know is that at one time Loic Damour was once regarded good enough to be one of 25 kids to be taken on at Clairefontainne and given the technical training to push on to the next level.

He failed in that quest up until now but the man himself has revealed that his attitude wasn't always what it should have been.

Now he is at a make or break age to prove that he has enough commitment to realise his obvious raw talent.

He has been brave enough to step into a faster and more demanding league to prove this. He cost us next to nothing so I'm looking forward to seeing what he's got.

In the brief time that i have seen him play i have been quite impressed and think he can nail down a first team spot.

Dr Lecter
27-07-17, 11:40
I don't understand how this thread has evolved (probably the wrong word) like this!!

I don't care if someone has watched 3 games in ligue 2 or whether it's 16% better than the South Wales senior league!

All i know is that at one time Loic Damour was once regarded good enough to be one of 25 kids to be taken on at Clairefontainne and given the technical training to push on to the next level.

He failed in that quest up until now but the man himself has revealed that his attitude wasn't always what it should have been.

Now he is at a make or break age to prove that he has enough commitment to realise his obvious raw talent.

He has been brave enough to step into a faster and more demanding league to prove this. He cost us next to nothing so I'm looking forward to seeing what he's got.

In the brief time that i have seen him play i have been quite impressed and think he can nail down a first team spot.

I was going to say 'good post' but as you haven't watched 3 french games a few years ago or made a graph then your opinion is worthless.

Rjk
27-07-17, 11:53

Quite right of course, we should be judging people based on what they do for us predominantly.
I just felt some people were writing this guy off when we first signed him, to an extent that they probably wouldn't have if he'd been from league one

jon1959
27-07-17, 12:06

Good post

Rjk
27-07-17, 12:29

This makes la Liga 94

Championship about 66
League one 29

Ligue 1 80
Ligue 2 43

In case anyone is interested (probably not) on the same scale the Danish league is scored as an average of 40.
So similar to French ligue 2. And closer to league one than championship.
What's the maximum you'd pay for a striker who has had one good season at that level?

LordKenwyne
27-07-17, 12:58
In case anyone is interested (probably not) on the same scale the Danish league is scored as an average of 40.
So similar to French ligue 2. And closer to league one than championship.
What's the maximum you'd pay for a striker who has had one good season at that level?

40 what?.

What do the figures represent?.

How do you create the 40 figure?.

:old:

Rjk
27-07-17, 13:12
40 what?.

What do the figures represent?.

How do you create the 40 figure?.

:old:

It's a calculation of my own devising, that takes into account things like wage budget, squad values and success of players transferring to higher leagues, averaged over a few seasons.
I've then normalised the scores and made the premier league, which came out as the strongest on average, equal to 100 and scored the others in relation to that.

Pedro de la Rosa
27-07-17, 13:20
It's a calculation of my own devising, that takes into account things like wage budget, squad values and success of players transferring to higher leagues, averaged over a few seasons.
I've then normalised the scores and made the premier league, which came out as the strongest on average, equal to 100 and scored the others in relation to that.

If the Premier League is the strongest, I'd suggest there is a flaw.

Kris
27-07-17, 13:45

This makes la Liga 94

Championship about 66
League one 29

Ligue 1 80
Ligue 2 43

I still can't work out what any of this is based on.

Kris
27-07-17, 13:59

Fair points. Who were the other kids taken on, and where are they now?

Dr Lecter
27-07-17, 14:01
I still can't work out what any of this is based on.

He's explained it all above.

Wages, squad values, success of players transferring to other league etc. multiplied by a magic number that the voice in his head tells him on the third tuesday of the month.

I think it's the same system they use for top trumps.

ccfc_is_my_life
27-07-17, 14:04
Fair points. Who were the other kids taken on, and where are they now?

Can't be arsed looking through it all but found this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:INF_Clairefontaine_players

Some quality players, some poor players.

Rjk
27-07-17, 14:18
If the Premier League is the strongest, I'd suggest there is a flaw.

Strongest on average, some others are stronger at the top, but less competitive further down.

Kris
27-07-17, 14:20

Ok, but all of this is arbitrary. A home grown player costs more than a foreign player. Premier league clubs offer the higher wages because they are richer. It doesn't consider performance in European competition (UEFA rank the French League 5th).

Rjk
27-07-17, 14:21

Fair play, you can make a very good 11 from that lot

Kris
27-07-17, 14:24

In other words, it means very little.

Rjk
27-07-17, 14:25
Ok, but all of this is arbitrary. A home grown player costs more than a foreign player. Premier league clubs offer the higher wages because they are richer. It doesn't consider performance in European competition (UEFA rank the French League 5th).

I tried to include the European performance, but that only tells you anything about the top 2 or 3 clubs in a league, which are often huge outliers compared to the rest of the league, so it wasn't very helpful.
As it happens, my system also makes the French league the 5th strongest.

thehumblegringo
27-07-17, 14:59

You talk absolute shit. I never said it was a guarantee of success at all you tit.

It does prove that he had the raw materials for success and let's be honest we're cardiff city not Barcelona.

Why don't you get your head out of your arde you bitter ****.

ccfc_is_my_life
27-07-17, 16:22

On the contrary, it means the same as every academy, youth setup et al - he does have raw talent.

Can have all the talent at a very young age, the best achieve their potential as they have their heads screwed on. Others fall by the wayside - thinking they've made it and are now Berty Big Bollocks; some recover their careers, others don't.

On balance, Damour seems to fit the category of someone with talent who fell by the wayside but has recognised his career has been damaged by his own attitude - which is encouraging that he can develop to his best under somebody like Warnock.

No guarantees, hence the low risk in terms of cost, wages but I'd always prefer someone who recognises their own historical failings and wants to correct that.

Kris
27-07-17, 17:23
You talk absolute shit. I never said it was a guarantee of success at all you tit.

It does prove that he had the raw materials for success and let's be honest we're cardiff city not Barcelona.

Why don't you get your head out of your arde you bitter ****.

Well done on the insults.

Kris
27-07-17, 17:32
On the contrary, it means the same as every academy, youth setup et al - he does have raw talent.

Can have all the talent at a very young age, the best achieve their potential as they have their heads screwed on. Others fall by the wayside - thinking they've made it and are now Berty Big Bollocks; some recover their careers, others don't.

On balance, Damour seems to fit the category of someone with talent who fell by the wayside but has recognised his career has been damaged by his own attitude - which is encouraging that he can develop to his best under somebody like Warnock.

No guarantees, hence the low risk in terms of cost, wages but I'd always prefer someone who recognises their own historical failings and wants to correct that.
That's where I am on Damour. Obviously he had something, he represented France at various levels. A few years ago, Bundesliga clubs were looking at him, as were Villa.

Cardiff is a massive step up.

Kris
27-07-17, 17:34
I tried to include the European performance, but that only tells you anything about the top 2 or 3 clubs in a league, which are often huge outliers compared to the rest of the league, so it wasn't very helpful.
As it happens, my system also makes the French league the 5th strongest.
Fair enough.

Kris
27-07-17, 17:37
Did you get an answer to this?

Was there a question? I know I asked a question directly to Bob and he couldn't be bothered to answer it.

thehumblegringo
27-07-17, 17:49
Well done on the insults.

Your childish trolling is pathetic

Kris
27-07-17, 17:55
Your childish trolling is pathetic

Just because someone has a different view to you, it doesn't mean they are trolling.

Your previous response said "I never said it was a guarantee of.success at all". I never said that you said that.

Essentially, you are outraged at something I didn't say and accuse me of trolling. It seems you are winding yourself up. That's my last post on this thread.

J R Hartley
27-07-17, 18:00
Just because someone has a different view to you, it doesn't mean they are trolling.

Your previous response said "I never said it was a guarantee of.success at all". I never said that you said that.

Essentially, you are outraged at something I didn't say and accuse me of trolling. It seems you are winding yourself up. That's my last post on this thread.

Thank feck for that

the other bob wilson
28-07-17, 04:05
Was there a question? I know I asked a question directly to Bob and he couldn't be bothered to answer it.

So, you're not going to clarify whether you watched your three Ligue 2 games a few years ago as you claimed in one post on here or last season as you said in another one?

As it seems to be troubling you so much, I'll say that you jumped to the conclusion I had traveled over to France to watch games, but I hadn't, I'd watched them on some TV channel about two or three seasons (they tended to be on Thursday or Friday nights if I remember rightly). Thinking back, I watched more than three (probably double that number), but I daresay you think they don't count because I wasn't there in the flesh watching them.

Similarly, I watched a few 2.Bundesliga matches when I had my subscription with BT Sports last season, but my opinion on both leagues with regard to this thread would not change whether I'd watched those matches or not and that is that there are a fairly large nucleus of players in them (and in many other European second tiers as well) who could come into the Championship and do a perfectly decent job. Damour has a good pedigree, admits his attitude was poor for a few years and is coming off what he calls the best season of his career so far, I'm not saying he definitely will be a success at Cardiff, but I think he has a chance of being one.

Thoth
28-07-17, 04:19
That's my last post on this thread.

There IS a God. :malky:

thehumblegringo
28-07-17, 15:25
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/he-invest-200-succeed-because-13400006.amp

You'd have thought WOL would have done an article like this during the week we signed him.

An article which could have had so much more detail but nevertheless far better than most of the shit written in there lately.

Colonel Cærdiffi
28-07-17, 15:42
There IS a God. :malky:

:hehe:

Sloop_Jon_Bee
30-07-17, 14:22

:thumbup:

Lawnmower
30-07-17, 19:45
Looked OK from what I saw of him at Plymouth.

As a free transfer and on reasonable money he looks like a worthwhile gamble.

We need cover for Gunnarrson, especially if O'Keefe goes and he may well be able to at least fill that roll.