PDA

View Full Version : Colin Jackson has come out

lardy
28-08-17, 14:53
I must say, this has come as a complete surprise. Did anyone guess?

itkman
28-08-17, 14:55

I'm shocked and stunned.

Pearcey3
28-08-17, 14:55

I feel traumatised by this news.

Wales-Bales
28-08-17, 15:01
Great news :thumbup: Hopefully it will encourage other people to do the same.

Pearcey3
28-08-17, 15:05
Great news :thumbup: Hopefully it will encourage other people to do the same.

Why should people need to be encouraged to broadcast their sexuality? It's none of my business whether Jackson is gay,straight or bi.

ian gibson
28-08-17, 15:05
Got told this 20 years ago by a workmate who knew him.

LordKenwyne
28-08-17, 15:09
I thought this was widely established, as in he had already come out

Organ Morgan.
28-08-17, 15:09
I'd be numbed by the news except for being unable to become number following Brucie's recent passing. I feel that my gasted should be flabbered on learning Colin Jackson is a fan of backdoor deliveries as no-one could have foreseen that but I can't.

Wales-Bales
28-08-17, 15:15
Why should people need to be encouraged to broadcast their sexuality? It's none of my business whether Jackson is gay,straight or bi.
Do you hide your wife in a cupboard or do you live a normal life? I think there are many advantages in coming out, you can involve your partner in everything.

Silures
28-08-17, 15:29
Do you hide your wife in a cupboard or do you live a normal life? I think there are many advantages in coming out, you can involve your partner in everything.
So Colin Jackson hid his boyfriend in the cupboard did he? If he was to embarrassed to be seen with his partner, then thats his problem, same as any other gay couple.

Pearcey3
28-08-17, 15:41

**** em. If people have a problem with him walking around town with his partner it's their problem and not his. His sexuality is his business.

life on mars
28-08-17, 15:43
"Has come out " of Asda, silly peoples

Blue in the Face
28-08-17, 15:44
Took him a long time to get over that hurdle

#silvermedal

TH63
28-08-17, 16:02
I'm as shocked about this as I was about Barry manilow

TH63
28-08-17, 16:02
**** em. If people have a problem with him walking around town with his partner it's their problem and not his. His sexuality is his business.

This

AlwaysAway2
28-08-17, 16:11
They get all the publicity. I just don't understand all this crap. I am straight like women but no one is interested.
No media coverage at all.

surge
28-08-17, 16:12
The first headline I saw phrased it as "spoken openly about his sexuality for the first time" which probably would have avoided the quips seen in this thread. Still, as surprising as it may or may not be, do we need those quips? Show support for a great Welsh sportsman and help make it easier for others to speak openly.

Wales-Bales
28-08-17, 16:14
So we shouldn't mention the relationship status of people who are close to us because it's nobody elses business?

surge
28-08-17, 16:17
The first headline I saw phrased it as "spoken openly about his sexuality for the first time" which probably would have avoided the quips seen in this thread. Still, as surprising as it may or may not be, do we need those quips? Show support for a great Welsh sportsman and help make it easier for others to speak openly.

http://attitude.co.uk/colin-jackson-comes-out-as-gay/

Silures
28-08-17, 16:24
hope he don't turn into an irititating kunt like that Welsh rugby player, who never seems to shut up about it, and milks it for everything it's worth

J R Hartley
28-08-17, 16:26
hope he don't turn into an irititating kunt like that Welsh rugby player, who never seems to shut up about it, and milks it for everything it's worth

Probably the reason he's done it now he's not famous anymore. Hoping to get a programme or two out of it.

It's 2017 ffs. 50 year old man who was a good sportsman 20 years ago comes out as gay. Big deal.

jamieccfc
28-08-17, 16:28
I thought this was widely established, as in he had already come out

I was also under the impression this was known. The new in thing seems to be how to make money from being gay

B. Oddie
28-08-17, 16:29
Who's Colin Jackson?

J R Hartley
28-08-17, 16:30
Who's Colin Jackson?

Some poof from Wales

Wales-Bales
28-08-17, 16:31
Who's Colin Jackson?
Some blokes other half, but it's none of your business.

Silures
28-08-17, 16:32
Probably the reason he's done it now he's not famous anymore. Hoping to get a programme or two out of it.

It's 2017 ffs. 50 year old man who was a good sportsman 20 years ago comes out as gay. Big deal.

Agree with there. I doubt most people even know who he is anymore, so they certainly ain't gonna give a shit about how he likes his eggs in the morning

BlueWales
28-08-17, 16:41
He is still a key part of BBC Athletics coverage and despite some silly comments on here is
famous in the UK and the wider world. At least he has " come out " unlike pathetic footballers who
pretend to be straight and aren't.
Some of you posters still live in the stone age ffs.

itkman
28-08-17, 16:43
He is still a key part of BBC Athletics coverage and despite some silly comments on here is
famous in the UK and the wider world. At least he has " come out " unlike pathetic footballers who

Indeed, these people that "don't give a ****" always seem to be on these threads telling others they don't give a ****.

Pearcey3
28-08-17, 16:46
So we shouldn't mention the relationship status of people who are close to us because it's nobody elses business?

I see it as a private matter and no one should feel forced to declare their sexuality. It's the 21st Century. Most of us don't care. There will be some sad bigots who dislike it but so what.Society has moved on.

Blue in the Face
28-08-17, 16:49

Totally disagree Surge. What you're saying is really dangerous. I don't want to live in a society where certain subjects are off limits for jokes (good or bad). If the goal is to be treated equally, then the opportunity to take the Michael should apply for gay folks as much as it would for heteros.

surge
28-08-17, 16:57

I wouldn't call people "pretending to be straight" pathetic. However, share your disappointment in how some posters have reacted.

One may consider that Gareth Thomas rode the publicity from coming out far too long however initially it was another fine Welsh sportsman speaking honestly and looking to help others in a less privileged position. The media reaction, and whatever he did next, is separate and doesn't extinguish the fact that all he was doing was speaking honestly.

So ok, dislike how the media are keen for a story and blow everything out of proportion, but have you read the article where Colin explained why he was speaking about it for the first time? Because it was a programme about the impact on his sporting Life rather than anything else.

Why is coming out still a big deal? See the poster calling him a poof or the poster(s) judging his motivation for speaking about his sexuality. No straight sportsperson has to consider how talking openly about their partner will be taken.

If you don't think anyone needs to come out and for it to be treated as a big deal? Brilliant. Make that happen by treating it as a non event, give a quick word of support and move on.

FFS, this isn't **** or planet swamp.

Philbccfc
28-08-17, 17:02

a bit like Jackson did for years then, denying he was gay.

Croesy Blue
28-08-17, 17:08
I see it as a private matter and no one should feel forced to declare their sexuality. It's the 21st Century. Most of us don't care. There will be some sad bigots who dislike it but so what.Society has moved on.
It's not so much that they have to declare it but it means they can live their life without worrying about the press leaking their secret.

Basically you come out and then the "scoop" is done and you can get on with your life.

BLUETIT
28-08-17, 17:11
He must have a book launch coming

Sgt. Pepper
28-08-17, 17:14
I honestly thought Colin J was already out.
FWIW.
I neither mind nor care.

Pearcey3
28-08-17, 17:19
I honestly thought Colin J was already out.
FWIW.
I neither mind nor care.

I neither mind nor care. I just don't see the need for anyone to come out any more. It was different when there was so much intolerance towards homosexuality but society has progressed and I believe the mast majority of us are not homophobic. It's been an open secret that Jackson was gay anyway.

J R Hartley
28-08-17, 17:22
I wouldn't call people "pretending to be straight" pathetic. However, share your disappointment in how some posters have reacted.

One may consider that Gareth Thomas rode the publicity from coming out far too long however initially it was another fine Welsh sportsman speaking honestly and looking to help others in a less privileged position. The media reaction, and whatever he did next, is separate and doesn't extinguish the fact that all he was doing was speaking honestly.

So ok, dislike how the media are keen for a story and blow everything out of proportion, but have you read the article where Colin explained why he was speaking about it for the first time? Because it was a programme about the impact on his sporting Life rather than anything else.

Why is coming out still a big deal? See the poster calling him a poof or the poster(s) judging his motivation for speaking about his sexuality. No straight sportsperson has to consider how talking openly about their partner will be taken.

If you don't think anyone needs to come out and for it to be treated as a big deal? Brilliant. Make that happen by treating it as a non event, give a quick word of support and move on.

FFS, this isn't **** or planet swamp.
Calling him a poof was tongue in cheek because that's just the kind of reaction you take offence on behalf of others luvvies want.

The truth is in my first post. He's some 50 year old guy who used to be famous. He's gay. It's 2017. It's no big deal.

In an age where we have people a lot more current, influential and famous than Colin actually having sex changes, then this is hardly a groundbreaking statement.

Colin Jackson is gay. In other news the grass is green and the sky is blue.

Wales-Bales
28-08-17, 17:30
I neither mind nor care. I just don't see the need for anyone to come out any more. It was different when there was so much intolerance towards homosexuality but society has progressed and I believe the mast majority of us are not homophobic. It's been an open secret that Jackson was gay anyway.
You don't have to come out, you can just live life normally, go to functions and events as a couple, etc. You're the one who said they can hide in public as it's nobody's business.

Pearcey3
28-08-17, 17:44
You don't have to come out, you can just live life normally, go to functions and events as a couple, etc. You're the one who said they can hide in public as it's nobody's business.

That's the point you are missing. He can lead his life as an open homosexual man. Why the need for a statement? We all knew he was gay anyway. However he clearly felt he had to make that statement. It's not necessary any longer. If though he wished to remain private about his sexuality that's his choice and he should not be hounded about it.

jeepster
28-08-17, 17:45
That's the point you are missing. He can lead his life as an open homosexual man. Why the need for a statement? We all knew he was gay anyway. However he clearly felt he had to make that statement. It's not necessary any longer. If though he wished to remain private about his sexuality that's his choice and he should not be hounded about it.

Well put.:thumbup:

ccfc_is_my_life
28-08-17, 17:53

Thomas spoke honestly did he? Hmmm.

Wales-Bales
28-08-17, 17:54
I'm not hounding him, I just responded to his statement and said it was great news, and hopefully he can live his life to the full without having to look over his shoulder. But like it or not he is a celebrity, and I am sure other people in a similar situation will take comfort from his stance.

ccfc_is_my_life
28-08-17, 17:57
I'm not hounding him, I just responded to his statement and said it was great news, and hopefully he can live his life to the full without having to look over his shoulder. But like it or not he is a celebrity, and I am sure other people in a similar situation will take comfort from his stance.

Think you'll find he's been living his life without looking over his shoulder. I admit, my eyesight isn't the greatest so I may have missed hordes of thickos chasing after him with pitchforks and lit torches...

Heathblue
28-08-17, 17:57

Come in, come out of the rain :ayatollah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-25dhpFjC5Y

Wales-Bales
28-08-17, 17:59
Think you'll find he's been living his life without looking over his shoulder. I admit, my eyesight isn't the greatest so I may have missed hordes of thickos chasing after him with pitchforks and lit torches...
Somebody prieviously sold their story to the press. He's just ended the prospect of that happening again.

ccfc_is_my_life
28-08-17, 18:04
Somebody prieviously sold their story to the press. He's just ended the prospect of that happening again.

Previously. As in 9 years ago. That was such a big traumatic deal for Jackson he failed to "come out" at the time which would have crapped all over that story, indeed he denied he was gay. Indeed, he was happy to portray the other guy as being a liar. Solidarity and all that.

In 2008 someone being gay also, funnily enough, failed to have the hordes chasing after them. It's as though society is way more tolerant than some want to give it credit for.

Feedback
28-08-17, 18:05
It's always the ones you don't expect

Pearcey3
28-08-17, 18:06

Why does he need to look over his shoulder? Twenty odd years ago fair enough. Not these days. The idiots that are homophobic are hammered in our society these days and rightly so. Will others take comfort from his stance? Any youngsters struggling to come to terms with their sexuality may not take too much comfort from the fact that he actually felt the need to come out as if it is something to be ashamed of.

For me it's black and white. Live and let live. If you are gay,straight,bi or trans I just don't care. Fortunately our young people lead the way in this respect. They just don't care. They don't see sexuality as an issue. My teenage lads would just shrug their shoulders at all of this.

Wales-Bales
28-08-17, 18:09
Why does he need to look over his shoulder? Twenty odd years ago fair enough. Not these days. The idiots that are homophobic are hammered in our society these days and rightly so. Will others take comfort from his stance? Any youngsters struggling to come to terms with their sexuality may not take too much comfort from the fact that he actually felt the need to come out as if it is something to be ashamed of.

For me it's black and white. Live and let live. If you are gay,straight,bi or trans I just don't care. Fortunately our young people lead the way in this respect. They just don't care. They don't see sexuality as an issue. My teenage lads would just shrug their shoulders at all of this.
See my last post.

jeepster
28-08-17, 18:10

This how my kids are.You are what you are.Who gives a fcuk about the persons sexuality.:thumbup:

Pearcey3
28-08-17, 18:15
This how my kids are.You are what you are.Who gives a fcuk about the persons sexuality.:thumbup:

Exactly.

I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS
28-08-17, 18:22

:hehe:
tbh like most have pointed out
thought he had come out eons ago and who cares who sleeps with its his own beeswax
has he got a book due out or something

or am I being a tad cynical lol

Wales-Bales
28-08-17, 18:23
I've had a fair few friends who were gay long before gayness even became a thing. I don't ever recall the topic coming up, other than I'm off to meet so-and-so, or had a great night out kind of stuff. It's kinda weird seeing everything being over-analysed on an internet football message board by a bunch of New Age Renaissance men :biggrin:

Pearcey3
28-08-17, 18:26
I've had a fair few friends who were gay long before gayness even became a thing. I don't ever recall the topic coming up, other than I'm off to meet so-and-so, or had a great night out kind of stuff. It's kinda weird seeing everything being over-analysed on an internet football message board by a bunch of New Age Renaissance men :biggrin:

Stop being such a jelly baby WB

28-08-17, 18:27
I've had a fair few friends who were gay long before gayness even became a thing. I don't ever recall the topic coming up, other than I'm off to meet so-and-so, or had a great night out kind of stuff. It's kinda weird seeing everything being over-analysed on an internet football message board by a bunch of NEW AGE RENAISSANCE MEN :biggrin:

LMAO

Wales-Bales
28-08-17, 18:34
Stop being such a jelly baby WB
Jelly baby: The sometimes frothy, usually slimy, amalgam of lubricant, stray fecal matter, and ejaculate that leaks out of the receiving partner's **** after a session of anal intercourse :yikes:

life on mars
28-08-17, 19:53
What a nonsense,let's man up .

JDerrida
29-08-17, 13:00
In other news the grass is green and the sky is blue.

You try telling that to Stevie Wonder!!

When will all this prejudice stop?

Blindist .... reported 😉

Robin Friday's Ghost
29-08-17, 14:13
I'm as shocked about this as I was about Barry manilow
You what???

JDerrida
29-08-17, 14:31
You what???
😨😨

When will this all end?

BlueWales
29-08-17, 15:47
a bit like Jackson did for years then, denying he was gay.

Tell me when and where he denied he was gay then ? I can't remember the question being put to him and I
follow athletics closely.

Tuerto
29-08-17, 16:00

Agree, people saying that it's not their business are correct, it isn't, same as if you don't like to wear underpants, or have a penchant towards dancing naked to Barry White songs, in your front room-it's nobodies business. The difference with coming out as gay, and the other two things I've mentioned, are that they are pretty easy to keep to yourself, being Gay, and not being able to express it, means that you have to lie, all for the benefit of those who judge. It means that when other men talk about woman, or explicitly about woman, then Jackson has probably had to join in, he's probably had to invent girlfriends, lie about the people he is with, or the places he has been. So, people are right, it's none of our business, but when someone feels the need to inadvertently lie, in order to protect themselves, then it does become our business.

BLUETIT
29-08-17, 17:41
Tell me when and where he denied he was gay then ? I can't remember the question being put to him and I
follow athletics closely.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/08/28/bbc-presenter-colin-jackson-comes-out-as-gay-after-denying-sexuality-nine-years-ago/

jamieccfc
29-08-17, 17:49
You what???

This seemed to ridiculous to be true

Wales-Bales
29-08-17, 18:35
Agree, people saying that it's not their business are correct, it isn't, same as if you don't like to wear underpants, or have a penchant towards dancing naked to Barry White songs, in your front room-it's nobodies business. The difference with coming out as gay, and the other two things I've mentioned, are that they are pretty easy to keep to yourself, being Gay, and not being able to express it, means that you have to lie, all for the benefit of those who judge. It means that when other men talk about woman, or explicitly about woman, then Jackson has probably had to join in, he's probably had to invent girlfriends, lie about the people he is with, or the places he has been. So, people are right, it's none of our business, but when someone feels the need to inadvertently lie, in order to protect themselves, then it does become our business.
You obviously never have any West Indian women in your front room!

29-08-17, 18:52
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/08/28/bbc-presenter-colin-jackson-comes-out-as-gay-after-denying-sexuality-nine-years-ago/

Like BlueWales you follow athletics closely too then :hehe:

jeepster
29-08-17, 19:45
You never hear of any straight people announcing to the world about their sexual preferences - cross dressing, S&M, rubber wellies fetish etc - so Ive never really understood why gay. lesbian bi etc people need to do it either.

I remember Colin Jackson - as he was always at the various county trials for athletics , rugby, football etc and he was so much better than everyone else. He was also extremely 'camper' than everyone else if that is the correct phraseology - so it's hardly a surprise at all that he has come out. He's been gay ever since I can remember him

I think most people knew this already though didnt they ?

My Mrs said i knew years ago:sherlock:

mike downtownabbey
29-08-17, 19:51
Who in the hell cares.
i just dont understand the fascination about peoples private lives

chipspie
30-08-17, 05:53
flakes everwhere these days