PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of all my vinyl , suggestions ?

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 10:46
I have replaced all my old vinyl and bought it on cd

I have original gatefold albums in good condition

Would I be best selling them myself on e bay ......which frankly I find a pain in the arse or are there any decent vinyl shops in Cardiff , Barry or Bridgend that anyone knows of

That bloke upstairs in the Cardiff market is a rip off

Cheers

cardiff55
09-11-17, 11:06
If you sell them to a dealer/trader you'll get next to nothing. D'Vinyl in Roath is a good shop but you won't get much for them. A new shop has opened on Whitchurch Road called Pop'n'Hops which sells vinyl and beer!

Sell them privately is best, i still collect but have weird taste so like unusual stuff like prog and jazz.

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 11:23
That's what I thought but selling them privately is a pain in the arse

Thanks mate

Former Labour leader
09-11-17, 11:23
Dont sell Sludge. They can only appreciate in value. There must be one or two little Sludges running around Cowbridge. They can be your legacy.

Eric the Half a Bee
09-11-17, 11:27
I'd sell them on ebay or discogs. Both have pros and cons.

With Discogs you won't have as much hassle of setting up each individual sale. Search for the album/single you want to sell and click on the sell item button. A couple of questions later and you're done. It's not an auction site so you've got to set your own price - it does provide a guide of what your item is worth, when it was last sold etc. Selling fees are less than ebay (8% vs 10%). You won't need to take photos of each record or write up a description, the only time it would take is searching for the exact item that you want to sell. The down side is that it might take months to shift some things. Definitely not an option if you're in a hurry.

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 11:29
Personally - I would keep them, and keep your record player as well, sounds better and they are worth F all anyway
If you do want to sell them, sell locally on Gumtree first, avoid selling where it means you post them - they wont arrive intact.

I still have all my old vinyl and threw away my CD a collection, but before I did that , I ripped all the CD's into MP3s instead - so I have a digital collection, I did the same with my old vinyl, so I now have every on my PC (and backed up the mem cards).

I imagine your collection is mainly Sabbath and Maiden ?

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was the first albumn I ever bought

I hate maiden lol

I have a massive collection , blues , folk , soul , rnb, but it's mostly metal

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 11:31
Dont sell Sludge. They can only appreciate in value. There must be one or two little Sludges running around Cowbridge. They can be your legacy.

I always wear a dicky jacket

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 11:32
I'd sell them on ebay or discogs. Both have pros and cons.

With Discogs you won't have as much hassle of setting up each individual sale. Search for the album/single you want to sell and click on the sell item button. A couple of questions later and you're done. It's not an auction site so you've got to set your own price - it does provide a guide of what your item is worth, when it was last sold etc. Selling fees are less than ebay (8% vs 10%). You won't need to take photos of each record or write up a description, the only time it would take is searching for the exact item that you want to sell. The down side is that it might take months to shift some things. Definitely not an option if you're in a hurry.

Cheers

Arfur Europe
09-11-17, 11:37

Would I be best selling them myself on e bay ......which frankly I find a pain in the arse or are there any decent vinyl shops in Cardiff , Barry or Bridgend that anyone knows of

Cheers

This is the perfect site for you Sludge. Proper Vinyl afficienados from across the world buying and selling their unwanted records:

www.discogs.com

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 11:44
This is the perfect site for you Sludge. Proper Vinyl afficienados from across the world buying and selling their unwanted records:

www.discogs.com

I have just checked it out , looks great

Mrs Steve R
09-11-17, 12:24
Don't.

cardiff55
09-11-17, 12:26
And the listings never runs out on Discogs I understand ?

Robin Friday's Ghost
09-11-17, 12:28
You'll regret it.

elytillidie
09-11-17, 12:45
I always wear a dicky jacket

Watch it honey, I'm randy...

Llanedeyrnblue
09-11-17, 13:21
Put them in the loft

Eric the Half a Bee
09-11-17, 13:38
And the listings never runs out on Discogs I understand ?

Yes, until it is sold or you pull it.

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 14:01
Lol it's probably 99.99% Metal and the rest being :
Sabb
Sabbath Greatest Blues covers
Sabbath do folk
Soul Sabbath
Sabbath RNBloody Sabbath

Never really liked Maiden other than the 1 album I kept with Run to the Hills on it - a long time ago now

Sabbath bloody Sabbath is classic

I am a metal head but was listening to Wendy and Lisa from Prince's backing band this morning , very mellow stuff

Also Rosie Vela , zazu, a great album featuring the steely Dan boys

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 14:02
Put them in the loft

They will get damp

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 14:02
Watch it honey, I'm randy...

Very witty

Steve R
09-11-17, 14:04

Cheers

There's a shop in Barry that an old mate of mine runs, 'Vinyl Frontier'. Nice guy if you wanted to pop in and have a chat with him. Used to be a big heavy metal fan too if I remember correctly.
The shop's in Holton Road not far up from the Civic Offices.

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 14:04
You'll regret it.

I know , if I don't sell them I will keep them

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 14:05
There's a shop in Barry that an old mate of mine runs, 'Vinyl Frontier'. Nice guy if you wanted to pop in and have a chat with him. Used to be a big heavy metal fan too if I remember correctly.
The shop's in Holton Road not far up from the Civic Offices.

Which side ? The civic off ices side ?

Cheers mate

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 14:06
I have a mint condition of this should move ya by mantronix .......that was great dance music years ahead of its time

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 14:08
Don't.

Some might interest you

Steve R
09-11-17, 14:08
Which side ? The civic off ices side ?

Cheers mate

t'other side. You can't miss it, big yellow & black sign.

Alan's your man!

https://www.facebook.com/thevinylfrontierbarry/

Taunton Blue Genie
09-11-17, 14:11
I have a couple of packing boxes of vinyl albums in the attic and I'm pretty sure they are of limited use to anyone - as I used to play them whilst drinking copious amounts of alcohol and probably scratched some of the to buggery. And I also threw up on Man's 10" Live At The Patti Pavilion double album.

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 14:13
t'other side. You can't miss it, big yellow & black sign.

Alan's your man!

https://www.facebook.com/thevinylfrontierbarry/

Thanks , I will be found for a cup of tea soon , don't make it weak as piss like you usually do

Steve R
09-11-17, 14:15
Thanks , I will be found for a cup of tea soon , don't make it weak as piss like you usually do

:hehe:

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 14:24

It's no laughing matter

Mrs Steve R
09-11-17, 15:08
Some might interest you
I haven't got any turntables now, still got me vinyl for when I get another pair though, I don't know many people who have sold their vinyl and not regretted it. :biggrin:

Be thankful he makes you one, he doesn't normally. :hehe:

NYCBlue
09-11-17, 15:09
Don't do it!

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 16:40
I haven't got any turntables now, still got me vinyl for when I get another pair though, I don't know many people who have sold their vinyl and not regretted it. :biggrin:

Do you think he does it out of pity for me ?

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 16:42
Don't do it!

I don't think I am going to .....I have just been reading the lyrics of caress of steel by rush in a beautiful gatefold album , it had me in tears

NYCBlue
09-11-17, 16:51
I don't think I am going to .....I have just been reading the lyrics of caress of steel by rush in a beautiful gatefold album , it had me in tears

I wish I still had that record. Another I'll no doubt end up dropping $25 on. I probably paid £3.49 for my first copy.

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 17:04
I wish I still had that record. Another I'll no doubt end up dropping $25 on. I probably paid £3.49 for my first copy.

A fantastic album , rush were great up until moving pictures , everything else they have done since then has been very patchy

life on mars
09-11-17, 17:21
Don't sell them, I lost all mine , I regretted it andnow busy buying them, all back , what you could also do is use some for pop art
have a look at these :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Picture-Pockets-records-Hanging-covers/dp/B0094H7XDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510248039&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+hanging+pockets+for+vinyl&dpID=51fPUCnGZzL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

NYCBlue
09-11-17, 17:28
Agreed. I actually stop at Permanent Waves.

Look what I just found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rush-Vinyl-LP-Caress-Of-Steel-Mercury-9100-018/362135941360?hash=item5450fbf0f0:g:d~wAAOSwH-dZ6I9~

Llanedeyrnblue
09-11-17, 18:28
They will get damp

Mine haven’t or my City/Wales program collection

dandywarhol
09-11-17, 19:05
I'm in the don't camp

jeepster
09-11-17, 19:45
One of the things i regret,plus my Rotel amplifier and seperates.:music::cry:

Heathblue
09-11-17, 20:00

Cheers

I'll take your Bay City Rollers Vinyl :thumbup:

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 20:04
Don't sell them, I lost all mine , I regretted it andnow busy buying them, all back , what you could also do is use some for pop art
have a look at these :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Picture-Pockets-records-Hanging-covers/dp/B0094H7XDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510248039&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+hanging+pockets+for+vinyl&dpID=51fPUCnGZzL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I am keeping them , too much classic artwork to let go

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 20:06
Agreed. I actually stop at Permanent Waves.

Look what I just found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rush-Vinyl-LP-Caress-Of-Steel-Mercury-9100-018/362135941360?hash=item5450fbf0f0:g:d~wAAOSwH-dZ6I9~

Signals is ok but all bands have their day and by the mid eighties they were done

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 20:07
I'm in the don't camp

After about an hour's thought I am with you brother

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 20:09
One of the things i regret,plus my Rotel amplifier and seperates.:music::cry:

I regret Sharon from porthcawl mate , we all have our demons

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-17, 20:11
I'll take your Bay City Rollers Vinyl :thumbup:

I can't let go of the classic artwork on the early genesis albums or the Roger Dean stuff he did for yes

What a bassist Chris squire was , what a guitarist in Steve Howe

jeepster
09-11-17, 20:23
I regret Sharon from porthcawl mate , we all have our demons

:biggrin:

Eric the Half a Bee
10-11-17, 16:18
Sabbath stuff did you say? Probably best off taking it up the tip.... :hide: :onlyjoking:

Feedback
10-11-17, 17:11
Don't do it

Organ Morgan.
10-11-17, 17:41

I'm surprised you let him in. Get a CCTV camera trained on the front door. That way you don't need to answer the hoi polloi, charity collectors and TV licensing snoopers.

Sludge turned up at my gaff recently, unnanounced and univited. He looked like Onslow off of Keeping Up Appearances wearing a string vest and baseball cap at one O'clock in the afternoon. Gazing at the monitor, 'er indoors wondered if he was homeless. I let him in, and soon wish I hadn't.

She offered him a drink and something to eat out of common courtesy. He munched his way through much of the top half of the fridge freezer before he fecked off.

He droned on and on about how much better life was during the Maggie Thatcher years. When he drew breath, she whispered to me in a quaking tone: "Is he a rotter?"

"You can say that again," I repled, to which she loudly repeated the question. Of course he heard it but just smirked.

As with this thread, he tried to promote his crappy vinyl record collection which is quite possibly the worst in Christendom. I don't blame the bloke at the Central Market for telling him precisely where he can stick his Bee Gees and New Seekers shite.

The Bob Banker Spanker
10-11-17, 17:56
I'm surprised you let him in. Get a CCTV camera trained on the front door. That way you don't need to answer the hoi polloi, charity collectors and TV licensing snoopers.

Sludge turned up at my gaff recently, unnanounced and univited. He looked like Onslow off of Keeping Up Appearances wearing a string vest and baseball cap at one O'clock in the afternoon. Gazing at the monitor, 'er indoors wondered if he was homeless. I let him in, and soon wish I hadn't.

She offered him a drink and something to eat out of common courtesy. He munched his way through much of the top half of the fridge freezer before he fecked off.

He droned on and on about how much better life was during the Maggie Thatcher years. When he drew breath, she whispered to me in a quaking tone: "Is he a rotter?"

"You can say that again," I repled, to which she loudly repeated the question. Of course he heard it but just smirked.

As with this thread, he tried to promote his crappy vinyl record collection which is quite possibly the worst in Christendom. I don't blame the bloke at the Central Market for telling him precisely where he can stick his Bee Gees and New Seekers shite.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-11-17, 19:38

Naff off

Mrs Steve R
10-11-17, 21:28