PDA

View Full Version : USA Touting a 2018 non-World Cup qualifiers tournament...

Cowbridge Blue
16-11-17, 15:06
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42001722

Typical US, but on this occasion I believe there is some merit in their thinking. It would be a money-spinner of course but with support for 'soccer' in the US continuing to grow there was widespread despair among administrators and TV companies at US's failure to qualify for Russia.

But so many other big names missing (don't just think European) from the main feature, a secondary competition (not to be promoted as an alternative) is a realistic proposition. Most teams would have large support already located in the States.

Cowbridge Blue
16-11-17, 15:07

Typical US, but on this occasion I believe there is some merit in their thinking. It would be a money-spinner of course but with support for 'soccer' in the US continuing to grow there was widespread despair among administrators and TV companies at US's failure to qualify for Russia.

But so many other big names missing (don't just think European) from the main feature, a secondary competition (not to be promoted as an alternative) is a realistic proposition. Most teams would have large support already located in the States.

:wales::wales::wales::wales::wales:

AlwaysAway2
16-11-17, 15:21

It’s such a good idea it would overshadow the Russian thing. That sadly is why it won’t happen. I would 100% go Stateside to follow Wales. Bring it on.

lardy
16-11-17, 15:38
It’s such a good idea it would overshadow the Russian thing. That sadly is why it won’t happen. I would 100% go Stateside to follow Wales. Bring it on.

Would it bollocks overshadow the world cup!

Wales-Bales
16-11-17, 15:42
Would it bollocks overshadow the world cup!
It's overshadowed already .. come on Wales :wales:

Wales-Bales
16-11-17, 15:50
USA, Italy, Holland, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Chile, Greece.

Dr Lecter
16-11-17, 16:00
Many years ago when I was in junior school we used to have competitive sports day. A few weeks later the athletic kids used to get picked to go to the inter school sports day - where all the kids from different schools used to compete against each other.

The kids left behind at my school used to have a ‘pocket sports’ day. Basically the fat/slow/disabled kids used to carry a little beanbag on their head/tip water into a bucket etc. - no winners just a bit of fun.

Pocket sports day is no place for Bale.

BlueWales
16-11-17, 16:09
They'll probably call it the World Series so Yanks can identify with it.

MacAdder
16-11-17, 16:12
Many years ago when I was in junior school we used to have competitive sports day. A few weeks later the athletic kids used to get picked to go to the inter school sports day - where all the kids from different schools used to compete against each other.

The kids left behind at my school used to have a ‘pocket sports’ day. Basically the fat/slow/disabled kids used to carry a little beanbag on their head/tip water into a bucket etc. - no winners just a bit of fun.

Initially I thought yes, what good idea....
Put like that, I have to say I agree with you.

BlueWales
16-11-17, 16:21

Lads at my school were very keen on " pocket billiards " was this one of the sports on offer at your old school too ?:hehe:

blue matt
16-11-17, 16:52
Yes from me

Aug would be a good month

In Florida would be a great location

BLUETIT
16-11-17, 18:19
Would we still get enough time between games to laugh at the Ingurlish though. ?

Pearcey3
16-11-17, 18:37
Yes from me

Aug would be a good month

In Florida would be a great location

Seconded. In New York for a week at the start of August followed by a week in Miami so with you this

Pearcey3
16-11-17, 18:38
If rhis is a money spinner for the FAW then let’s go for it

blue matt
16-11-17, 19:33
Seconded. In New York for a week at the start of August followed by a week in Miami so with you this

Oh i will give you that one :thumbup:

NY from the 4th ( for 5 or 6 days ) So grab a game then :thumbup:

then anywhere in florida for the next 3 weeks :thumbup::thumbup:

NYCBlue
16-11-17, 19:41
Would be nice. But we probably won't even get invited.

We're not exactly a draw.

Ireland and Italy would be well ahead of us obviously. The only thing we've got going for us is Bale and possibly Woodburn.

Wales-Bales
16-11-17, 19:45

Ireland and Italy would be well ahead of us obviously. The only thing we've got going for us is Bale and possibly Woodburn.
With these youngsters coming through we are going to have a very strong front 6 when they mature a bit.

AlwaysAway2
16-11-17, 19:48
There’s no time for a qualifying competition. They will invite the best performing failed qualifiers first. Errr that’s us down the pecking order. 😂

Wales-Bales
16-11-17, 19:53
This is a potential lineup for the next tournament or two ..

Brooks - Ampadu - Allen - Woodburn

Ramsey

Bale

NYCBlue
16-11-17, 20:03
They're most likely going to invite the 7 biggest draws left out of the tournament and try to spread it around the globe.

Italy
Ireland
Nethderlands
Chile

An African team
An Asian team
Probably another South American team
Maybe Canada

I can't see us being involved unless we seriously lobby for it. And the FAW are too slow for that.

MacAdder
16-11-17, 20:07

First I thought yes good idea, then thought nah bad..... put like that, I think I'm back in :sherlock:

NYCBlue
16-11-17, 20:10
First I thought yes good idea, then thought nah bad..... put like that, I think I'm back in :sherlock:

It'll be over by August. The World Cup starts on June 25th.

Wales-Bales
16-11-17, 20:13
FIFA World Rankings Top 25, October 2017:

1 Germany
2 Brazil
3 Portugal
4 Argentina
5 Belgium
6 Poland
7 France
8 Spain
9 Chile
10 Peru
11 Switzerland
12 England
13 Colombia
14 Wales
15 Italy
16 Mexico
17 Uruguay
18 Croatia
19 Denmark
20 Netherlands
21 Iceland
22 Costa Rica
23 Northern Ireland
24 Slovakia
25 Sweden

Pearcey3
16-11-17, 20:29
Oh i will give you that one :thumbup:

NY from the 4th ( for 5 or 6 days ) So grab a game then :thumbup:

then anywhere in florida for the next 3 weeks :thumbup::thumbup:

Well that’s two Wales supporters in New York then Heading there on 1st August and then Miami on the 8th:thumbup:

Pearcey3
16-11-17, 20:30
FIFA World Rankings Top 25, October 2017:

1 Germany
2 Brazil
3 Portugal
4 Argentina
5 Belgium
6 Poland
7 France
8 Spain
9 Chile
10 Peru
11 Switzerland
12 England
13 Colombia
14 Wales
15 Italy
16 Mexico
17 Uruguay
18 Croatia
19 Denmark
20 Netherlands
21 Iceland
22 Costa Rica
23 Northern Ireland
24 Slovakia
25 Sweden

We will drop some places after our last two results.

Pearcey3
16-11-17, 20:33

Oh I dunno. Ramsey and Allen both in the Euro 16 team of the finals. Ireland are only a draw because of the Irish connections but hsrdly great to watch. We were also Euro 16 semi finalists and that holds some cache.

Pearcey3
16-11-17, 20:34

In out in out shake Macadder all about.

The Bloop
16-11-17, 20:35
It would have to happen at the same time as the world cup. Otherwise it just messes up other schedules even more.
Players who could take part will probably see it as a chance for a break so squads will be depleted of many of their major stars.
Fifa would never ratify the tournament so it could potentially end up at the mercy of American broadcasters with 4 quarters, time outs, rolling subs and Diana Ross doing a ceremonial kick off in the first ever final of the world series of soccer.

AlwaysAway2
16-11-17, 21:38
It would have to happen at the same time as the world cup. Otherwise it just messes up other schedules even more.
Players who could take part will probably see it as a chance for a break so squads will be depleted of many of their major stars.
Fifa would never ratify the tournament so it could potentially end up at the mercy of American broadcasters with 4 quarters, time outs, rolling subs and Diana Ross doing a ceremonial kick off in the first ever final of the world series of soccer.

With the new kick off rules Diana Ross could even score. 👍