PDA

View Full Version : Three wins in eight days, second in the table and still damned with faint praise.

the other bob wilson
27-11-17, 06:20
http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Hot Shot Hamish.
27-11-17, 08:17
Great read as always Bob. It really is the case that the only sides who accept the Warnock way are the sides he has managed. He's a bloody genius in this division. There's no way in the world that we should be second with the resources at his disposal but he's done it time after time. If we can get the "star" players back and fit then we might be right to dream of promotion again.

Baloo
27-11-17, 08:28
The patronising comment 'Cardiff are very good at what they do' is usually made by managers and players of teams that are not very good at what they do.

blue matt
27-11-17, 09:14
Long may it continue, If they are still saying it and we are still in the same league position next time we play forrest, it will all be good :thumbup:

Former Labour leader
27-11-17, 09:31
Great read again Bob.
Was a little taken aback when you indicated that Gunnar still has a problem from his injury and may not play this week, and Ken may not be back till Xmas. Despite heroics from the players who have stepped in a do wonder how long we can continue to win without our best players. Despite an easier looking run over the next few weeks the next game could always be the banana skin so fingers crossed all will be well. Great that NML should be back. We have missed his pace and his dynamitism.
Anyway enough of the pessimism I am often accused of. I am very confident we will make at least the playoffs, but with everyone back fit I see no reason why auto can not be on the cards. Wolves look out!

the other bob wilson
27-11-17, 09:49
Great piece Bob, I used to dis like 'Neil' when he managed other sides, but now he is one of us - he is great. A bit like Bellamy.

His comments on football focus were very telling, about his old sides having reunions - which shows a team spirit and strong bond of players and manager who will fight and play for each other. Nice to be part of it as a fan as well,

Thanks for mentioning Football Focus because I didn't know he had been on before that. As you say, it's revealing about those player reunions with his old sides and you can't help thinking that Warnock's right about the current Man City side not having one in ten years time - maybe the younger. modern day manager does not place as much emphasis on building team spirit and camaraderie as older ones do?

TDA
27-11-17, 09:59
An excellent read, TOBW, as usual. Three things have occurred to me since the game yesterday.

1. City are no more guilty of time-wasting than any other club, as witnessed by the games at Birmingham and Bristol City.

2. Playing to your strengths and not taking any chances is an integral part of many team ball games. In both codes of rugby and American Football, the defending team will kick the ball long to give the opposition possession when there is no better option. It may reduce your possession stats, but the opposition is less likely to score from within their own half.

3. Some of City's football on the break has been breath-taking this season. The inter-play of (to name 3) Bennett, Hoilett and Ralls, around the opposition box has been excellent, certainly much better than City teams of recent seasons. That fact is being conveniently overlooked by our critics.

We are in danger of believing what others who have been out-thought by Neil Warnock and Co are bleating about.

the other bob wilson
27-11-17, 10:02
Great read again Bob.
Was a little taken aback when you indicated that Gunnar still has a problem from his injury and may not play this week, and Ken may not be back till Xmas. Despite heroics from the players who have stepped in a do wonder how long we can continue to win without our best players. Despite an easier looking run over the next few weeks the next game could always be the banana skin so fingers crossed all will be well. Great that NML should be back. We have missed his pace and his dynamitism.
Anyway enough of the pessimism I am often accused of. I am very confident we will make at least the playoffs, but with everyone back fit I see no reason why auto can not be on the cards. Wolves look out!

The interview with Warnock is available to subscribers on the club website - it's well worth a watch if you have access to it.

Former Labour leader
27-11-17, 10:40
The interview with Warnock is available to subscribers on the club website - it's well worth a watch if you have access to it.

Used to be a subscriber but quite honestly found it a waste of time and money. Perhaps i ought to reregister if things have improved.

Pedro de la Rosa
27-11-17, 10:55
http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

I've read that Paul Taylor article and he's as bitter as they come. Would you rather support Cardiff or Forest at this moment in time is utterly laughable, they've lost 10 times in 19 games for crying out loud. He's making out Warburton to be some sort of footballing purist while Warnock is a clogger. Forest aren't anywhere near good enough to play the football he wants them too. He's ignored the shocking tackles Forest made during the game (Traore could walked for his) and the fact it was 10 fouls a piece, as well as the fact we looked far more dangerous than they did. Shockingly, a side winning 2-0 shuts up shop away from home. Who'd have thought?

Seabird
27-11-17, 11:10
Have we got any "cloggers"?

I suppose Peltier has a habit of picking up a card or two and Damour has a short fuse. Bamba is strong in the tackle but centre-backs should be.

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-11-17, 11:52
Forest 0 Bluebirds 2

The end

dembethewarrior
27-11-17, 12:10
The patronising comment 'Cardiff are very good at what they do' is usually made by managers and players of teams that are not very good at what they do.

I commented yesterday how I didn't think Forest were very good at what they do. Made it easy for us to counter them. We beat them well IMO.

Pedro de la Rosa
27-11-17, 12:28
I commented yesterday how I didn't think Forest were very good at what they do. Made it easy for us to counter them. We beat them well IMO.

Forest are awful at "what they do". We didn't have to even work hard to out work them. The amount of times Damour, Ralls and Bryson intercepted passes in their midfield was unbelievable.

Toadstool
27-11-17, 12:59
Man City and Barcelona ( and wolves ) are also sides that are good at what they do!

Forest Green Bluebird
27-11-17, 14:07
Thought provoking account as usual Bob.

Mind goes back to the time when Arsenal were 'invincible'.

"1-0 to the Arsenal" ... sung with gusto by the Gooners after their customary defence of a single goal lead

and

"Boring - Boring Arsenal" ... on the lips of many opposition fans and media.

Although Arsenal and Cardiff will never be equal I can see some similar reactions in our league.

Former Labour leader
27-11-17, 14:35
I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day about 1-0 to the Arsenal. Now its 1-0 to the sheepshaggers!

Forest Green Bluebird
27-11-17, 15:19
I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day about 1-0 to the Arsenal. Now its 1-0 to the sheepshaggers!

Out of our 12 wins only three have been 1-0

Burton, Boro & Barnsley.

New chant "Sing when you're passing, you only sing when you're passing!"

I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS
27-11-17, 15:36

Facking love that comment spot on :thumbup:

life on mars
27-11-17, 18:16
Great read Paul, long may it continue along with our progress, also may those managers keep moaning ,as we know by now ,its because were beating their under performing sides .

Vimto
27-11-17, 18:25
We are doing alright with an (almost) 2nd string team.

Let them moan. If/when we get all cylinders firing , then they can bloody start moaning alright ;)

Thanks for the article - enjoyed.

Baloo
27-11-17, 18:52
I would imagine Warnock is loving it and using the constant whining to help create a bit of siege mentality within the team.

Even more motivation to show how average many of these teams handing out the footballing lectures really are.

dembethewarrior
27-11-17, 19:19
I would imagine Warnock is loving it and using the constant whining to help create a bit of siege mentality within the team.

Even more motivation to show how average many of these teams handing out the footballing lectures really are.

I know we all take the piss out of wolves and their attempt to replicate Ajax, Holland, Barcelona, Brazil and Arsenal...but at this level they do it well and are in a good position due to it.

Too many other teams attempt it and fail drastically...like forest..I think it may pay off for Fulham if they can put a run together

jon1959
27-11-17, 19:47
I expect to see 'damned with faint praise' in a Wales Online article this week!

:hehe:

Jursset_BrisCity
27-11-17, 20:00
Have you not considered for just a second that it’s the way you play that is the cause of you not getting any praise.

Almost EVERYWHERE you play you hear:
1. Time wasting
2. Pushing and shoving
3. Low possession belt it forward
4. Long throws
5. Cynical
6. Terrible to watch
7. Anti football

Etc etc

You seem oblivious to this criticism and take the view “it’s not us, it’s everyone else”.

I have made these comments for some time but I told you I wasn’t alone.

Have you just for a moment considered that it’s HOW you’ve played these games and not the result which is why everyone doesn’t like Cardiff?

cyril evans awaydays
27-11-17, 20:02
Have you not considered for just a second that it’s the way you play that is the cause of you not getting any praise.

1. Time wasting
2. Pushing and shoving
4. Long throws
5. Cynical
6. Terrible to watch
7. Anti football

Etc etc

You seem oblivious to this criticism and take the view “it’s not us, it’s everyone else”.

Have you just for a moment considered that it’s HOW you’ve played these games and not the result which is why everyone doesn’t like Cardiff?

oh Private Benjamin is in!

dembethewarrior
27-11-17, 20:27

1. Time wasting
2. Pushing and shoving
4. Long throws
5. Cynical
6. Terrible to watch
7. Anti football

Etc etc

You boot it long more than us, facts are facts.

Their keeper took ages taking his goal kicks yesterday too.

Our play is effective. Poncey passing went out years ago...all about high pressing now.

Baloo
27-11-17, 20:36
Meanwhile here's a BBC description of Bristol's champagne football over the weekend.

However, his side had LOOKED TO BE CRUISING TO A COMFORTABLE VICTORY with 25 minutes left against Bristol City, two goals ahead and SELDOM UNDER THREAT from their play-off-chasing opponents.

But Flint's goal AGAINST THE RUN OF PLAY sparked the Robins into life - before Bobby Reid's SCRAMBLED EFFORT drew the Robins level.

thehumblegringo
27-11-17, 20:47

1. Time wasting
2. Pushing and shoving
4. Long throws
5. Cynical
6. Terrible to watch
7. Anti football

Etc etc

Personally I don't give a **** what other fans think of us, and I certainly don't give a **** what you think of us you ****ing weirdo

cyril evans awaydays
27-11-17, 20:53
You boot it long more than us, facts are facts.

Their keeper took ages taking his goal kicks yesterday too.

Our play is effective. Poncey passing went out years ago...all about high pressing now.

Having looked at the stats on the last three games played by us and Bristol we both average 13 fouls a game though we have 23% less possession. Seems to show the discipline we have without the ball. In that period we both scored 5 goals with us having two more shots on target. The only other key difference was that we did not concede a goal whilst Wurzelona conceded five.

dembethewarrior
27-11-17, 20:55
Personally I don't give a **** what other fans think of us, and I certainly don't give a **** what you think of us you ****ing weirdo

Sums it up nicely. Not sure why I replied to him after preaching to others not to.
I genuinely ain't bothered what other fans think of us either, I've seen some fast paced attacking football from us this year, the fact we can grind in and battle too .. well for me anyway... is just common sense. I mean why WOULD we want to attack at 2 nil up and possibly concede? 13 goals against is testament to how well we are doing.

dembethewarrior
27-11-17, 20:57
Having looked at the stats on the last three games played by us and Bristol we both average 13 fouls a game though we have 23% less possession. Seems to show the discipline we have without the ball. In that period we both scored 5 goals with us having two more shots on target. The only other key difference was that we did not concede a goal whilst Wurzelona conceded five.

The stats that matter..goals for and against!!! And points on the board.

Don't think Chelsea gave a **** when they were "park the bus" masters as they won..we don't even park the bus were just well drilled and disciplined. We can counter at real pace

Jursset_BrisCity
27-11-17, 21:03
So if it’s not ugly and it’s not awful to watch.
The reason you are almost universally lambasted is what?????

Certainly isn’t sour grapes or envy.
Channel 5 for example have several times already this season focused on Wolves style and flowing passing.
How many times you seen them focus on Cardiff?
If they have I missed it.

So I’m intrigued if you think it’s not because of your style - why is it hardly anyone gives you any credit?

dembethewarrior
27-11-17, 21:07

Channel 5 for example have several times already this season focused on Wolves style and flowing passing.

So I’m intrigued if you think it’s not because of your style - why is it hardly anyone gives you any credit?

It's sensible, lad.

We can, and do, attack with pace..go watch our goals this year on YouTube.

We can, and do, stop teams from playing by closing them down and forcing them to rush passes.

It's slagged off because the championship is now the level of the champions league knock out stages...where everyone plays tippy tappy football....or super Sunday when United and Chelsea both park the bus..both better teams than any of the football purists of the championship like wolves and Bristol..United and Chelsea know at times it can't be pretty...Cardiff do wjat they need to to win games...and it works..look at the table..

jon1959
27-11-17, 22:53

It is sometimes ugly and its beautiful to watch if you are a Cardiff supporter. If it's awful for the opposition that is good - it means they are frustrated at being dominated, outfought, outthought and outplayed.

Despite that we are not 'universally lambasted' - not even 'almost universally lambasted'. Cardiff are attacked by a minority of fans from some other clubs - usually those who think we should roll over and lose gracefully to them, or else bellends like you who wouldn't know a long ball if one hit you in the face (more likely from your team than ours).

It is often sour grapes or envy. It is often posted by opposition fans who have just looked at the league table!

Channel 5 can do what they want. They started the season focussed on the clubs with big budgets they expected to see fighting for the title (Wolves, Villa, Boro, Derby etc) and that skewed a lot of their coverage. They are also right to praise some of the football played by Wolves - a lot of it is quality. However they (and most other media covering the Championship) have also given full credit to Cardiff, Sheffield Utd and Bristol City - in that order - for confounding the pundits and getting up around the top on merit.

And they do give credit in the main. I would give Bristol City credit for getting up to 5th, despite your long ball game and frequent dirty play. It is an achievement and not to be sniffed at.

As Paul's blog was about the Forest game it is worth saying that a lot of the Forest fans who posted under bleating match reports were very complimentary about the way we won that game and wished their own team had the same work ethic and the quality of Hoilett and Ward with his strike. I was parked away from the ground and talked to or listened in to a lot of Forest fans leaving the match and all felt they were outplayed. They just hoped they could have snatched a goal in that late 5 minute spell of pressure.

Anyway, good WUMing. I've wasted 5 minutes giving you the courtesy of a reply. Will go back to ignoring in future.

Lawnmower
27-11-17, 23:29
The fans that moan about our style do it almost exclusively after beating us.

It happens.

I'm sure we moaned when a few years back the Nolan inspired Wedt Ham, then Newcastle sides ground us into the dirt.

Didn't hear Preston or Birmingham fans moaning that we were boring after they both outfought us for deserving wins.

Do us a favour and take some points off Villa, Shaff Utd and Wolves ( 3 teams we beat through pace and skill by the way) in the next few weeks.

City123
27-11-17, 23:49

Because they don't like that unfashionable Cardiff, with no great history in the game, have come from Wales to formerly big clubs and turned them over, one by one, despite spending a fraction on wages/transfer fees

Wolves spent at least £20m in the summer and have loanees from Porto, Atletico Madrid and Monaco. Our top scorer is a free transfer, our second top scorers (Ralls, NML and Ward all have four) have been signed from Farnborough, Rochdale and Rotherham and still we're just 4 points behind them after 19 games and 11 points clear of 7th placed Middlesbrough.

According to betting shops and pre-season predictions we have no right to be where we are and opposition fans can't handle that their superstars are being shown up by some blokes they've never heard of

PS, Jursett if you want to see our "hoofball anti football" watch the highlights of our goals against Leeds and Villa, to name just two

insider
27-11-17, 23:49
Go and boil your head you wurzel cock womble.

dembethewarrior
27-11-17, 23:55
Because they don't like that unfashionable Cardiff, with no great history in the game, have come from Wales to formerly big clubs and turned them over, one by one, despite spending a fraction on wages/transfer fees

Wolves spent at least £20m in the summer and have loanees from Porto, Atletico Madrid and Monaco. Our top scorer is a free transfer, our second top scorers (Ralls, NML and Ward all have four) have been signed from Farnborough, Rochdale and Rotherham and still we're just 4 points behind them after 19 games and 11 points clear of 7th placed Middlesbrough.

According to betting shops and pre-season predictions we have no right to be where we are and opposition fans can't handle that their superstars are being shown up by some blokes they've never heard of

PS, Jursett if you want to see our "hoofball anti football" watch the highlights of our goals against Leeds and Villa, to name just two

I watched the highlights of our games against villa and wolves via their clubs highlights with their commentators...and they both seemed quite complimentary about us throughout.

Wokingbluebird
28-11-17, 06:35
It's all about the term 'football' what is its definition and intent. Bottom line a team game with 3 points to those who score more goals than the other team.
We are doing a lot of that this season and I am so proud of the way our team play for each other and the manager and the fans.

Long may it continue and long may other teams whinge when they lose to us.

Pedro de la Rosa
28-11-17, 08:52

1. Time wasting
2. Pushing and shoving
4. Long throws
5. Cynical
6. Terrible to watch
7. Anti football

Etc etc

Have you just for a moment considered that it’s HOW you are and not this persona you've invented which is why everyone doesn’t like you?

Anyway, using the below, I have 9 points for you to ponder. You have repeatedly refused to answer ETHB's points but here goes.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/6848/Stages/15177/TeamStatistics/England-Championship-2017-2018

1. Bristol City play the most long balls in the league
2. More fouls than Cardiff
3. 6 points behind Cardiff
4. Fewer shots per game than Cardiff
5. Fewer shots on target per game than Cardiff
6. Fewer dribbles per game than Cardiff
7. 43% of your goals have come from set pieces (inc pens), which is the highest percentage by a country mile. Flowing football, I think not.
8. 4 points from your last 3, City have 9
9. You're an extremely strange person who clearly has no friends