PDA

View Full Version : The Detectorists

Peajay
20-12-17, 22:38
That's it then. Gone for good, I'll miss that, anyone else ?

Parti Mellow
20-12-17, 22:49
Yes! The best bit of the three series was when the walkers come past asking the same questions to Lance. My late Father who was a detectorist for thirty years, used to tell me that the same questions were asked to him.

stan butler
21-12-17, 03:56
That's it then. Gone for good, I'll miss that, anyone else ?

What you mean gone for good?

Robin Friday's Ghost
21-12-17, 06:51
All three were excellent. Typically British understated humour. I've already liked Toby Jones but he's become one of my favourite actors. I agree that's probably the end of it now, which is very sad.

The Bloop
21-12-17, 07:18
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh - it's 'Detectorists' not 'The Detectorists'

Loved it. Thought they were stretching it with a 3rd series but my fears were soon forgotten.

Rjk
21-12-17, 09:54
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh - it's 'Detectorists' not 'The Detectorists'

Loved it. Thought they were stretching it with a 3rd series but my fears were soon forgotten.

Odd to think though that a nicely crafted British sitcom can run its course over 3 series, and 18 episodes and call it a day there and be considered a success.

If it was an American sitcom 18 episodes would be 1 season, and for it to have run its course by then would be considered a failure

Pedro de la Rosa
21-12-17, 09:59
Odd to think though that a nicely crafted British sitcom can run its course over 3 series, and 18 episodes and call it a day there and be considered a success.

If it was an American sitcom 18 episodes would be 1 season, and for it to have run its course by then would be considered a failure

Also why 99% of American sitcoms tail off and the writers run out of ideas.

Rjk
21-12-17, 10:11
Also why 99% of American sitcoms tail off and the writers run out of ideas.

But if an American sitcom tails off sometime in series 3 , that would be like a UK sitcom going stale after like 10 series. I can't think of too many UK sitcoms that have made it that long.
Red Dwarf I suppose.
Things like QI have ridiculous numbers of episodes, but that's just a panel show, so there's no narrative to maintain

Robin Friday's Ghost
21-12-17, 13:18
Breaking Bad had just 7 episodes in series 1, or 1 pilot and 6 episodes if you prefer.

life on mars
22-12-17, 00:03
Superb , up there with Dads Army , and early series of Last of the Summer Wine .