PDA

View Full Version : Audio Books

StraightOuttaCanton
16-01-18, 01:19
Anyone use audible.com or similar.

Have a 3 hour commute each day and have been listening to podcasts but I just took advantage of Amazon free trial.

Fiction , Sport or Business - not precious

Taunton Blue Genie
16-01-18, 06:35

Have a 3 hour commute each day and have been listening to podcasts but I just took advantage of Amazon free trial.

I just took advantage of their free download offer and will listen to Fire and Fury (the new book about Trump) when travelling through Southeast Asia next week.

Ring_Peace
16-01-18, 06:45
The Jack Reacher series (Lee Child) is good.

lennybluebird
16-01-18, 08:33
I know it's a free trial but they Seem to be over priced?.

Ring_Peace
16-01-18, 10:01
If you have a 3 hour commute then monthly subscription with top ups brings the price right down.

Wales-Bales
16-01-18, 10:59
I just took advantage of their free download offer and will listen to Fire and Fury (the new book about Trump) when travelling through Southeast Asia next week.
I didn't have you down as being a fan of fiction, you seem likes very factual person to me :biggrin:

The nice thing about S.E. Asia is that life is lived out on the streets, so there is always something to see or do. I couldn't imagine going there to listen to an audio book!

Taunton Blue Genie
16-01-18, 12:37
I know it's a free trial but they Seem to be over priced?.

Why not ask them to pay you to listen to an audiobook?

lennybluebird
16-01-18, 12:40
Now that's a good idea....lol.

light up the darkness
16-01-18, 14:38
Quidco
Oxfam
eBay
Allyoucanbooks.com
All have cheap or free deals on audio book downloads

Jimmy the Jock
16-01-18, 18:10

I do a lot of driving these days so I have a monthly subscription which keep the cost to an almost sensible level.

Jimmy the Jock
16-01-18, 18:13
I didn't have you down as being a fan of fiction, you seem likes very factual person to me :biggrin:

The nice thing about S.E. Asia is that life is lived out on the streets, so there is always something to see or do. I couldn't imagine going there to listen to an audio book!

I almost bought this earlier.
I listened to the author describing where he got his info from and thought it sounded like it was going to be a load of made up junk .
So I didnt.

StraightOuttaCanton
16-01-18, 18:43
I just started Sapiens which will last me a week or so. So far so good - Pretty fascinating exploitation of the history of mankind

Wales-Bales
16-01-18, 19:52
I just started Sapiens which will last me a week or so. So far so good - Pretty fascinating exploitation of the history of mankind
The secrets of human manipulation revealed :biggrin:

Blue in the Face
17-01-18, 01:37
The secrets of human manipulation revealed :biggrin:

I never told you that I read that on your recommendation. It was extremely interesting, if a little dogmatic. Does it fit your world view perfectly? It definitely doesn't mine, but still interesting to take in a different perspective. Definitely good enough to want to read the follow up about the future of us Homo Deus. Have you read that yet?

Taunton Blue Genie
17-01-18, 06:51

I try to walk miles most days in the countryside and away from the big cities.

light up the darkness
17-01-18, 08:36
Bookbub is another site that offers free and discounted books

Wales-Bales
17-01-18, 09:33
I never told you that I read that on your recommendation. It was extremely interesting, if a little dogmatic. Does it fit your world view perfectly? It definitely doesn't mine, but still interesting to take in a different perspective. Definitely good enough to want to read the follow up about the future of us Homo Deus. Have you read that yet?
Far from a perfect fit, but there are parts that are enlightening, and it's useful to be able to recognise them when they appear in daily life. Regarding the follow up I haven't read it yet, but personally I don't think it is a good idea to have a world controlled by machines.

Blue in the Face
17-01-18, 11:26
Far from a perfect fit, but there are parts that are enlightening, and it's useful to be able to recognise them when they appear in daily life. Regarding the follow up I haven't read it yet, but personally I don't think it is a good idea to have a world controlled by machines.

:thumbup:

I'll read the follow up soonish and let you know if it's as illuminating...