PDA

View Full Version : Six Nations

MacAdder
03-02-18, 14:40
Leaving the usual stuff aside... you know the stuff, the fact that rugby is wrongly synonymous with Wales, minority sport, pissed up women with silly hats, "high jinx" as oppose to football thuggery etc etc, the 6 nations does get the patriotism in the layman going.
Always cheer Wales in any sport me.

Good start by Wales against Scotland (14-0 currently) so far the experts have got it wrong. Hopefully it continues.

Anyway it's going off at half time when I shall be tuning in to the mighty Bluebirds vs Weeds :biggrin:

:ayatollah:

jamieccfc
03-02-18, 16:07
Great win for the Scarletts:biggrin:, I did fancy Scotland to win today but brilliant performance from wales

Ianto13
03-02-18, 17:40
Six Nations biggest spectator sport in World,crowds bigger than Football World Cup or any other sport, this fact reported on BBC today,I was quite surprised! Average gate 70k+

jamieccfc
03-02-18, 17:46
Six Nations biggest spectator sport in World,crowds bigger than Football World Cup or any other sport, this fact reported on BBC today,I was quite surprised! Average gate 70k+

Difficult to compare to world cup when you have a lot more games. I'm a big fan of rugby I don't understand why it gets knocked so much on here

Pearcey3
03-02-18, 17:55
Me and my lad are so fed up with Stam that we stayed at home today and watched Wales. We made the right call. Wales were outstanding and played some great rugby.

The Bob Banker Spanker
03-02-18, 17:59
Me and my lad are so fed up with Stam that we stayed at home today and watched Wales. We made the right call. Wales were outstanding and played some great rugby.

Just briefly went over the game on the BBC text and the comments were more critical of Scotland than praise for Wales.
I know they’ve had a decent couple of months but did people REALLY expect Scotland to come to Cardiff and turn Wales over comfortably? Judging by the reaction on social media, a lot of people did.

Pearcey3
03-02-18, 18:06
Just briefly went over the game on the BBC text and the comments were more critical of Scotland than praise for Wales.
I know they’ve had a decent couple of months but did people REALLY expect Scotland to come to Cardiff and turn Wales over comfortably? Judging by the reaction on social media, a lot of people did.

Scotland were overhyped but Wales played some lovely rugby today. Very enjoyable. Just to add Reading have not won at home on a Saturday this season. Stam OUT.

jamieccfc
03-02-18, 18:07
Scotland were overhyped but Wales played some lovely rugby today. Very enjoyable. Just to add Reading have not won at home on a Saturday this season. Stam OUT.

:yikes: can't say I feel for you though:hehe:

ian gibson
03-02-18, 18:13
I thought Scotland might win what with all the injuries in the welsh squad. But fair play Wales were superb, those two young lads on the wing Adams and Evans were top class and the back row put in as good a performance as I've ever seen from Wales.

jamieccfc
03-02-18, 18:15
I thought Scotland might win what with all the injuries in the welsh squad. But fair play Wales were superb, those two young lads on the wing Adams and Evans were top class and the back row put in as good a performance as I've ever seen from Wales.

I thought patchell was brilliant at 10 and something we've been missing for a long time

ian gibson
03-02-18, 18:19
I thought patchell was brilliant at 10 and something we've been missing for a long time

He was, nice to have big number 10, he's physical as well as skilful. Bottom line is Wales didn't miss any of the injured first choice players, in fact they might be kept out of the side by these lads now.

jamieccfc
03-02-18, 18:24
He was, nice to have big number 10, he's physical as well as skilful. Bottom line is Wales didn't miss any of the injured first choice players, in fact they might be kept out of the side by these lads now.

That's the worry now because gatland has his favourites

Pearcey3
03-02-18, 19:08

Interesting that North, Amos and Liam Williams look likely to be fit for the England game. I would have Williams on the bench along with either North or Amos and keep Adams and Evans in the starting line up. They do not deserve to be dropped.

tricks
03-02-18, 19:41
Agree, Steff Evans definitely in, and I would risk Adams. Navidi surprised me, excellent i thought. Patchell did ok, but prefer a jinky 10 .

Llanedeyrnblue
03-02-18, 19:44
England would have put 60 points on the jocks

xsnaggle
03-02-18, 20:00
England would have put 60 points on the jocks

It's easy to say "WOULD HAVE". Lets see the scores after we play Engerland and then see if you are anywhere near rigfht.
And of course you will have your chance to be right in the Calcutta Cup match. Should we bookmark this ? :hehe:

Llanedeyrnblue
03-02-18, 20:41
It's easy to say "WOULD HAVE". Lets see the scores after we play Engerland and then see if you are anywhere near rigfht.
And of course you will have your chance to be right in the Calcutta Cup match. Should we bookmark this ? :hehe:

I’m talking about one this day Scotland wasted a lot of chances

Do you think we have any chance of beating the English

Eric the Half a Bee
03-02-18, 20:44

World cup games aren't always played in stadiums that hold 70k+.

I suspect that if a 6 nations football tournament was held, featuring the same 6 countries, attendances would be similar to those in the rugby.

Llanedeyrnblue
03-02-18, 20:48
If alcohol was banned, as it should be judging by the behaviour of a lot of them the place would be half empty,it’s a piss up, a social occasion not a sporting event in Wales

Pearcey3
03-02-18, 20:48

Yep we have a chance. The Aviva teams have been dreadful in Europe. The Scarlets boys are flying st the moment. England are favourites but we do have a chance. A real chance.

Pearcey3
03-02-18, 20:51
If alcohol was banned, as it should be judging by the behaviour of a lot of them the place would be half empty,it’s a piss up, a social occasion not a sporting event in Wales

I dislike all the boozing but of course it’s a sporting event

Majorblue
03-02-18, 20:52
World cup games aren't always played in stadiums that hold 70k+.

I suspect that if a 6 nations football tournament was held, featuring the same 6 countries, attendances would be similar to those in the rugby.

I thought that the best attended sporting event in the world was the Tour de France.

As Eric says, the reality is that it is almost impossible to compare on a like for like basis .

Llanedeyrnblue
03-02-18, 22:36
I thought that the best attended sporting event in the world was the Tour de France.

As Eric says, the reality is that it is almost impossible to compare on a like for like basis .

Not only the best attended but also the worlds best sporting event drugs or not

life on mars
03-02-18, 22:40
Did Shame Williams play?

Eric the Half a Bee
03-02-18, 22:44

Yes, it's impossible. Imagine the top 6 European clubs having a round-robin tournament? The attendances would smash those of the 6 nations. As many as 15 million (estimated) attend the Tour De France. I read somewhere once about a golf tournament on the PGA tour having around 190,000 to watch in one day.

The 6 nations is undoubtedly popular. Claiming it's the biggest spectator sport in the world is nonsense.

Eric the Half a Bee
03-02-18, 22:46
Not only the best attended but also the worlds best sporting event drugs or not

Is that the riders or the spectators?

blue matt
03-02-18, 23:22

I think it was on a " game V's game " basis, i.e all the 6 nation games sell out

though saying that, surely all the world cup games sell out, though i guess they have some smaller stadiums ? ? ?

the other bob wilson
03-02-18, 23:45
Must say I was very pleasantly surprised by Wales' performance today. Although I have been aware of the Scarlets' success lately, I don't watch anywhere near as much rugby as I used to so didn't really realise just how successful they have been until I did a bit of research on the subject - when you look at how they played to win the Pro 14 last season, it shouldn't really have been such a shock to me that a Wales team composed predominantly of Llanelli players would perform as well as they did.

Badly Ironed Shirt
04-02-18, 10:07
I dislike all the boozing but of course it’s a sporting event

It is, but it's also a social event. And, judging by what I saw throughout the day in Cardiff yesterday, I would say it is more of a social occasion than a sporting occasion.

Robin Friday's Ghost
04-02-18, 10:27

How would Scotland missing chances have helped England to score 60 points?

Robin Friday's Ghost
04-02-18, 10:29
It is, but it's also a social event. And, judging by what I saw throughout the day in Cardiff yesterday, I would say it is more of a social occasion than a sporting occasion.

Agreed. But when I was in France for the Euros it was as much a social occasion as a football occasion.

jamieccfc
04-02-18, 10:31
Agreed. But when I was in France for the Euros it was as much a social occasion as a football occasion.

Don't say that football fans don't drink only the scum rugby fans drink and cause trouble

jamieccfc
04-02-18, 10:33
How would Scotland missing chances have helped England to score 60 points?

What chances did Scotland miss more importantly? Wales' defence was superb

Beverley Wilshire
04-02-18, 10:43
Don't say that football fans don't drink only the scum rugby fans drink and cause trouble

How did the Egg boy is cope with bars being closed in the stadium?

jamieccfc
04-02-18, 10:45
How did the Egg boy is cope with bars being closed in the stadium?

Push the button Mike/Matt

Beverley Wilshire
04-02-18, 10:58
I meant how did the egg boyish cope with stadium bar closures? I know this was proposal being considered, but not sure if implemented?

Also thought egg drunkenness and bad behaviour being construed as “high spirits” was something we wanted to expose?

MacAdder
10-02-18, 16:34
England v Wales...

Surprisingly pundits giving Wales a chance and the English ones are a bit worried. Just kiddology maybe?

With Leigh Halfpenny out there will be massive pressure on Rhys Patchell today, taking over the kicking.

Michael Morris
10-02-18, 16:46
England v Wales...

Surprisingly pundits giving Wales a chance and the English ones are a bit worried. Just kiddology maybe?

With Leigh Halfpenny out there will be massive pressure on Rhys Patchell today, taking over the kicking.

Do you want a dedicated thread?

MacAdder
10-02-18, 16:51
Do you want a dedicated thread?

Not me personally but see how things pan out. Not sure might be much interest after that start :hehe: