PDA

View Full Version : Celtic

Louth
15-04-18, 14:23
2-0 up at H-T. It could easily be 4. Celtic are miles ahead of them in every dept.

You'd have to feel sorry for Declan John. :)

StraightOuttaCanton
15-04-18, 14:51
2-0 up at H-T. It could easily be 4. Celtic are miles ahead of them in every dept.

You'd have to feel sorry for Declan John. :)

You may have answered this before but if we were playing Celtic in a meaningful game of any sort, who would you be supporting?

Louth
15-04-18, 15:07
You may have answered this before but if we were playing Celtic in a meaningful game of any sort, who would you be supporting?

Bluebirds of course. I have seen Celtic many times and they're a great club.

Bluebirds all the way.

StraightOuttaCanton
15-04-18, 15:10
Bluebirds of course. I have seen Celtic many times and they're a great club.

Bluebirds all the way.

Thought so👍🏻

Pilkers
15-04-18, 16:19

Theres a huge Celtic as 2nd team support in Cardiff. Always has been as long as I can remember. at least we follow city unlike the plastic mancs and mickey mousers.

soulsurfer3
15-04-18, 17:59
Theres a huge Celtic as 2nd team support in Cardiff. Always has been as long as I can remember. at least we follow city unlike the plastic mancs and mickey mousers.

Cardiff always had a large Irish Catholic make up in its population.

Heathblue
15-04-18, 19:15

There used to be Celtic V Rangers chants at Ninian park

G rangetown Blue
15-04-18, 19:28
Can't believe any Welshmen support Rangers, they dislike us more than the English do.

Lots of support for Celtic in Cardiff, especially in Grangetown Catholic Club :thumbup:

Best supporters in the UK by some distance to be fair.

uncle bob
15-04-18, 20:25
I liked rangers because they wore blue. Now I hate both Celtic and Rangers.

StraightOuttaCanton
15-04-18, 20:35
Can't believe any Welshmen support Rangers, they dislike us more than the English do.

Lots of support for Celtic in Cardiff, especially in Grangetown Catholic Club :thumbup:

Best supporters in the UK by some distance to be fair.

Sooner some sort of agreement is made that allows Scottish teams to enter the pyramid in the same way Welsh teams do, the better.

It’s the only way the Scottish game can ever be saved in my opinion

MacAdder
15-04-18, 20:42
Sooner some sort of agreement is made that allows Scottish teams to enter the pyramid in the same way Welsh teams do, the better.

It’s the only way the Scottish game can ever be saved in my opinion

I think you'll find that the opposite would happen in the event of this likely occurrence.
You only have to take a glance at the sad state of the Welsh game.

Wales-Bales
15-04-18, 21:05
Celtic couldn't even beat Dunfirmline in the cup! :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HQxN6pbWoU

Louth
15-04-18, 21:15

Jock Stein was Dunfermline's manager then. Enough said.

They also had some success in Europe too.

life on mars
15-04-18, 21:17
There used to be Celtic V Rangers chants at Ninian park

Yes I remember those chants .

StraightOuttaCanton
15-04-18, 21:37
I think you'll find that the opposite would happen in the event of this likely occurrence.

But the Welsh Leagues were never anything. The Scottish Leagues were of a higher standard but today they’re not. There are 5 or 6 teams who could compete in the pyramid system. The rest get tiny attendances and could form a league similar to what the Welsh league is today

Appreciate it’s flawed from a financial perspective for those that are left behind but without it even the top 5 or 6 teams in Scotland will wither

Allow the top 2 each year for 3 years to be admired to League 2 and build from there - just a thought

Bobby_The_Bhoy
15-04-18, 21:38
Celtic :thumbup:

Taunton Blue Genie
15-04-18, 21:54

The Pars are my Scottish team after I spent three months in Rosyth and followed them home and away.

MacAdder
15-04-18, 22:46

But the Welsh Leagues were never anything. The Scottish Leagues were of a higher standard but today they’re not. There are 5 or 6 teams who could compete in the pyramid system. The rest get tiny attendances and could form a league similar to what the Welsh league is today

Appreciate it’s flawed from a financial perspective for those that are left behind but without it even the top 5 or 6 teams in Scotland will wither

Allow the top 2 each year for 3 years to be admired to League 2 and build from there - just a thought

Firstly I meant to type "unlikely" and not "likely" in my original post, though I'm sure you would assumed that anyway.

You refer to the fact that Scottish football used to be a good standard whereas the Welsh league was never.

This may be true but the same could be said of many other leagues in Europe who led the way in a bygone era and you don't see teams like Ajax or Anderlecht trying to jump ship and play in other leagues just because their week in week out competition is poor.

The best players from any country go where the money is and I'm afraid the reality is that success and failure of clubs, and leagues, IS all down to finances.

Also, what right would any Scottish club have to bypass the Conference teams striving to make the big time that is the EFL and PL?

StraightOuttaCanton
15-04-18, 23:05

Firstly I meant to type "unlikely" and not "likely" in my original post, though I'm sure you would assumed that anyway.

You refer to the fact that Scottish football used to be a good standard whereas the Welsh league was never.

This may be true but the same could be said of many other leagues in Europe who led the way in a bygone era and you don't see teams like Ajax or Anderlecht trying to jump ship and play in other leagues just because their week in week out competition is poor.

The best players from any country go where the money is and I'm afraid the reality is that success and failure of clubs, and leagues, IS all down to finances.

Also, what right would any Scottish club have to bypass the Conference teams striving to make the big time that is the EFL and PL?

In my view - They’d have no right to bypass anyone - you just increase the number from 92 to 98.

To be fair the population of Scotland is a little smaller than most of the other European countries who still have competitive leagues. Which league would you suggest Ajax would like to join?

MacAdder
15-04-18, 23:15
In my view - They’d have no right to bypass anyone - you just increase the number from 92 to 98.

To be fair the population of Scotland is a little smaller than most of the other European countries who still have competitive leagues. Which league would you suggest Ajax would like to join?

Errrm let's see.... How about Serie A? :shrug:

StraightOuttaCanton
15-04-18, 23:29
Errrm let's see.... How about Serie A? :shrug:

There are obviously lots of potential hurdles.

My point was that there are some options if you want to explore them.

Sounds like you have a closed mind to it though so we’ve not got much chance of turning this into a constructive debate

Can you see any way at all that Scottish teams could play in the pyramid system in the same way Welsh teams do?

lardy
15-04-18, 23:35

That is still bypassing.

If they made the PL 22 and put rangers and celtic in, then they'd be bypassing the championship and clubs like us.

StraightOuttaCanton
15-04-18, 23:38
That is still bypassing.

If they made the PL 22 and put rangers and celtic in, then they'd be bypassing the championship and clubs like us.

My suggestion is that if they get in they join at a league 2 level and have to work their way through (if they can)

They would bypass the divisions below the conference I guess, so if you don’t think that’s an acceptable approach then it could never work

StraightOuttaCanton
15-04-18, 23:41
You’d effectively make the SPL a feeder league to league 2 alongside the conference. Rangers restarted from Scottish 3 and worked their way back up. My expectation is they’d all have to do the same from league 2, but from a commercial perspective all 92 clubs would probably benefit from the extra revenue over time

lardy
15-04-18, 23:42
My suggestion is that if they get in they join at a league 2 level and have to work their way through (if they can)

They would bypass the divisions below the conference I guess, so if you don’t think that’s an acceptable approach then it could never work

Yes that's what I mean, unless they start at the bottom they'll always be bypassing someone.

Is it the conference clubs concern to save and help Scottish clubs? I don't see how they'd be in favour.

And at that level, trips to Plymouth would be killers.

StraightOuttaCanton
15-04-18, 23:44
Yes that's what I mean, unless they start at the bottom they'll always be bypassing someone.

Is it the conference clubs concern to save and help Scottish clubs? I don't see how they'd be in favour.

And at that level, trips to Plymouth would be killers.

So, what (if any) would be your suggestion of how you would/could get to a place where they were accommodated?

StraightOuttaCanton
15-04-18, 23:46
So, what (if any) would be your suggestion of how you would/could get to a place where they were accommodated?

And by the way, I don’t really give a toss either way. Happen to think it would make for a better set of fixtures for everyone but I’m not that precious about it

lardy
15-04-18, 23:54
Start the bottom like AFC Wimbledon or not at all. I also don't give a toss if they're allowed in.

StraightOuttaCanton
15-04-18, 23:57
Start the bottom like AFC Wimbledon or not at all. I also don't give a toss if they're allowed in.

Fair enough - that’s certainly the fairest option but fairness doesn’t always come into it in the commercial world

DubaiDai
16-04-18, 07:18
I cannot see that happens by.
Simply not good enough to walk straight into thevPremership

dembethewarrior
16-04-18, 10:27

This

dembethewarrior
16-04-18, 10:31
That is still bypassing.

Noticed that too, by increasing the league from 92 to 98 they jump ahead of the conference teams, so they have no right to bypass anyone, yet they do anyway :hehe:

Pilkers
21-04-18, 22:20
I cannot see that happens by.
Simply not good enough to walk straight into thevPremership

They'd be top six in the premiership in no time. no debts, 40 million in the bank from champions league qualification. Dermot Desmond and Denis o brien on the board, both Celtic supporting multi billionaires, an incredible 55k season ticket holders to watch wanky spl dross and permission to expand Celtic Park into the biggest club ground in the UK.

ccfc_is_my_life
21-04-18, 22:30
They'd be top six in the premiership in no time. no debts, 40 million in the bank from champions league qualification. Dermot Desmond and Denis o brien on the board, both Celtic supporting multi billionaires, an incredible 55k season ticket holders to watch wanky spl dross and permission to expand Celtic Park into the biggest club ground in the UK.

And fights at every Prem ground...

Bobby_The_Bhoy
21-04-18, 22:31

NQAT :thumbup:

Pilkers
21-04-18, 22:42
And fights at every Prem ground...

Rarely see fights in Scotland. Even old firm games people generally go separate ways to avoid confrontation.

ian gibson
21-04-18, 22:47
Celtic are the poor mans Hibs. Hibernian, the first Irish catholic football team in Scotland.