PDA

View Full Version : Email exchanges about flight between Sala and Jack McKay

jon1959
25-01-19, 22:15
Previous reports have said that Mark McKay arranged the flights from Cardiff to Nantes on Saturday, and from Nantes to Cardiff on Monday night. This report shows that the flight offer and subsequent communication was via Jack McKay (one of our DVP players) and Sala.

His agent brother (and agent father) may have been involved in making the actual flight arrangements but the contact was via Jack! I assume he met Emiliano Sala (introduced by his brother?) on one of his two visits to the CCS

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11704/11617696/emiliano-salas-messages-with-agents-son-organising-flight-revealed

It clears some things up, but maybe raises further questions about people's roles in this tragedy.

jon1959
25-01-19, 22:21
The McKays seem to have dealt with Dave Henderson and he (?) sourced the aeroplane and the pilot for the trip(s).

Rocco Siffredi
25-01-19, 22:23
Looks like a steaming pile of bullshit and a massive dollop of arse covering . Truth will out and the McKays seem really adept at bending the rules to line their pockets , by any means .

rs3100
25-01-19, 22:26
I’m not usually like this and would normally give people the benefit of the doubt, but all of that family would be gone from the club if I was asked.

J R Hartley
25-01-19, 23:34
Looks like a steaming pile of bullshit and a massive dollop of arse covering . Truth will out and the McKays seem really adept at bending the rules to line their pockets , by any means .
Spot on

They’ve got blood on their hands. NQAT

Cyclops
26-01-19, 00:09
Anyone any thoughts of where an inquest (if one there should be) would be held?

Father Dougal
26-01-19, 01:11
Heartbreaking hearing Salas voice and his excitement at coming here.

Who is that jack McKay anyway? A youth team player who ended up organising this flight on behalf of his agent dad? Is that normal?

Is it too cynical of me to ask why he plays for us? Is he actually good?

Father Dougal
26-01-19, 01:38
Just looked him up. Him and his twin Paul both started at Doncaster but never played.

Then they both went to
Ilkeston and jack played 5 games (didn’t score) and Paul never played.

Then they both got given 2 and a half year deals by Leeds in January 2016 but neither ever played for them.

Then jack went to Scottish league 1 in January 2017, scoring 1 goal in 15 games.

Then in January 2018 Cardiff city gave them both 2 and a half year contracts. They are 22.

Father Dougal
26-01-19, 01:45
Just looked him up. Him and his twin Paul both started at Doncaster but never played.

Then they both went to

Then they both got given 2 and a half year deals by Leeds in January 2016 but neither ever played for them.

Then jack went to Scottish league 1 in January 2017, scoring 1 goal in 15 games.

Then in January 2018 Cardiff city gave them both 2 and a half year contracts. They are 22.

Apologies not sure if Paul actually went to Gainsborough trinity in 2015 for 10 games.

lisvaneblue
26-01-19, 07:37

Then they both went to

Not good enough for Leeds, barely featured elsewhere yet both lads given contracts just 12 months ago!
Seems the McKay family have their feet under the table at Cardiff?

the other bob wilson
26-01-19, 07:55
Paul McKay is currently at Morecambe on loan and has come on as a sub in the last three matches they've played. I've seen him play centreback, right back and defensive midfield for our Under 23 team in the year or so since he signed for us and I'd say he's been one of the more consistent players in a team which has not played to too high a standard during that time - I don't get the feeling I'm watching a potential first team player for City when he is playing for what is, more or less, our reserve side though.

Jack is a striker who got injured early in the first match I saw him play and spent months out as a result. From memory, he's only really started featuring for the Under 23s in the last three months or so and, based on what I've seen, I'd put players such as Ibrahim Meite, Mark Harris and James Waite in front of him with regard to Development team selection - Paul is the better prospect out of the twins on what I've seen.

Father Dougal
26-01-19, 07:56
Not good enough for Leeds, barely featured elsewhere yet both lads given contracts just 12 months ago!

Maybe im being unfair and city have some absolute gems of late developers on their books in the mckay twins.

However the evidence above gives me a gut feeling there has been something odd about both of their movements over the years. I maybe missing something like i say (and accept i haven't seen either play) but there is absolutely nothing in their records that make me think they were both worth giving 2 and a half year professional contracts at the age of 21.

CCFC27
26-01-19, 08:07
Saw Paul Mckay at Taff's Well, he and Healy were the only two footballers on the pitch. Although I was concerned before the transfer of this family as they have an arguably shady past. Having said that, it would be totally unfair to automatically assume blame or hatred to anyone, us fans shouldn't speculate, can only see what club officials discover.

Welshcake.
26-01-19, 08:51
Why haven't the Police haven't seized any computers, phones or paperwork? Something stinks here.

Father Dougal
26-01-19, 08:53
Why haven't the Police haven't seized any computers, phones or paperwork? Something stinks here.

Police arent even involved are they? Apart from Guernsey police but thats purely for the search.

Welshcake.
26-01-19, 09:01
Police arent even involved are they? Apart from Guernsey police but thats purely for the search.

Bizarre isn't it.

J R Hartley
26-01-19, 09:05
I’m all for holding this charlatan accountable for the plane he’s booked, but nepitism in football??

SHOCK. HORROR.

Vindec
26-01-19, 09:17
The most revealing point in the text exchanges is that Sala asked how much the journey would cost. Nothing was the reply which means the fact the pilot did not have a commercial licence is not as significant as first thought.

Father Dougal
26-01-19, 09:19
The most revealing point in the text exchanges is that Sala asked how much the journey would cost. Nothing was the reply which means the fact the pilot did not have a commercial licence is not as significant as first thought.

Isn't that potentially why the cost was nothing though? As they knew the pilot wasn't licenced to fly it if there was a cost.

I wonder if sala knew that?

Wolff
26-01-19, 09:20

So you think he did it for free? Taking stray jobs, covered in depth. Even doing Friday nights as a DJ. How generous of him.

LeningradCowboy
26-01-19, 09:26

The flights might not have cost Sala anything, but that doesn't mean someone else didn't pay for them.

Vindec
26-01-19, 09:32
So you think he did it for free? Taking stray jobs, covered in depth. Even doing Friday nights as a DJ. How generous of him.

I was merely reporting the content of the text. A non commercially licensed pilot is able only to claim expenses but all I was implying was that the issue of the pilot not holding a commercial licence is not as significant as it once appeared. In the real World you may question whether the pilot did a 3 job for free but the evidence - and that is all a negligence claim is interested in - suggests there was no charge

Wolff
26-01-19, 09:37
I was merely reporting the content of the text. A non commercially licensed pilot is able only to claim expenses but all I was implying was that the issue of the pilot not holding a commercial licence is not as significant as it once appeared. In the real World it is questionable whether the pilot did a 3 job for free but the evidence - and that is all a negligence claim is interested in - suggests otherwise.

Of course he didn’t do it for free, and the issues are just as relevant. It is significant. And the more I learn about the pilot, I can understand how he chose to take the job and taking risks. But it does seem a few dodgy ***** are behind it all, dosent it?
Why the police is not gathering documents and computers I do not know.

lisvaneblue
26-01-19, 09:38

Just heard on Radio Wales that Cardiff are looking at two French players, one from Monaco which is where, I understand, Willie McKay lives. Maybe the family are involved with these players as well?

xsnaggle
26-01-19, 09:49
The police are not involved because at this point there is no Criminal investigation going on. Merely fact finding to determine the cause of the accident and the events surrounding it.
If any criminal act or negligence is uncovered then of course they would get involved.
Computers emails, bank records, phone records etc can also be obtained by court order but that can only happen if and when anything goes to court.

On the subject of bank accounts, the pilot's may show incoming monies which might demonstrate he was paid for flying, perhaps not in this case but in the past on other flights, which could then show that as he was illegally [paid in the past there is a good chance this was the same. The facts might be "Similar but unconnected" and not good enough for a criminal case but could be used in a civil action as the balance of probabilities.

xsnaggle
26-01-19, 09:53
On another point, they said these were e-mails but the sky reporter clearly said they were whatsapp messages.
If one of the phones involved in those exchanges is lost what is to prevent the owner of the other deleting messages in the thread that don not suit his/her agenda?
Just asking? :shrug:

Wolff
26-01-19, 09:54
The police are not involved because at this point there is no Criminal investigation going on. Merely fact finding to determine the cause of the accident and the events surrounding it.
If any criminal act or negligence is uncovered then of course they would get involved.
Computers emails, bank records, phone records etc can also be obtained by court order but that can only happen if and when anything goes to court.

On the subject of bank accounts, the pilot's may show incoming monies which might demonstrate he was paid for flying, perhaps not in this case but in the past on other flights, which could then show that as he was illegally [paid in the past there is a good chance this was the same. The facts might be "Similar but unconnected" and not good enough for a criminal case but could be used in a civil action as the balance of probabilities.

That’s highly solicitor of you. I’m no detective, but dosent every investigation start with suspicion?
I would say a few documents and lap tops should be taken care of before they go missing..

xsnaggle
26-01-19, 10:05
That’s highly solicitor of you. I’m no detective, but dosent every investigation start with suspicion?
I would say a few documents and lap tops should be taken care of before they go missing..

I'm with you on wanting it, but wanting it and being legally entitled to do it are two different things unfortunately.

Wolff
26-01-19, 10:12
I'm with you on wanting it, but wanting it and being legally entitled to do it are two different things unfortunately.
I don’t know your laws. But I know in my country those documents would be safe the minute information of an agent, using a commercial company regularly, and the pilot. Flying a round trip like that without a commercial Licence. And I’m not surprised if it is the top of the ice berg.

Trigger
26-01-19, 10:26
Probably not the time for a witch hunt. I understand in these circumstances people need someone to blame but sometimes there is no one person, more of a collection of unfortunate incidents.

From what I understand there is nothing illegal about the flight, certainly not yet disclosed to the public.

Think this one will go on for years, almost impossible to know what went wrong and why without the aircraft.

dml1954
26-01-19, 11:31
Maybe im being unfair and city have some absolute gems of late developers on their books in the mckay twins.

However the evidence above gives me a gut feeling there has been something odd about both of their movements over the years. I maybe missing something like i say (and accept i haven't seen either play) but there is absolutely nothing in their records that make me think they were both worth giving 2 and a half year professional contracts at the age of 21.

A professional contract means nothing. Both of them could be on £100 a week or less for all we know. They were probably taken on because of their potential, to see if we could develop them. Dont see anything odd about that. They must have had potential when they were younger but could have lost their way, which is a quite common occurance.

jamieccfc
26-01-19, 11:37
A professional contract means nothing. Both of them could be on £100 a week or less for all we know. They were probably taken on because of their potential, to see if we could develop them. Dont see anything odd about that. They must have had potential when they were younger but could have lost their way, which is a quite common occurance.

Call me cynical but I don’t believe that for a second

Wolff
26-01-19, 11:43
I read somewhere that without proper digital forensic examination, this messages can not be used to speculate. So until the digital forensics have done their work, I understand it’s best left behind. Specially since speculating can not be used as digital forensic evidence in a court of law.

Harry Monk
26-01-19, 12:23

On what grounds?

Harry Monk
26-01-19, 12:24
Bizarre isn't it.

No. It's not a criminal investigation. Why would they be involved?

Wolff
26-01-19, 12:25
On what grounds?

Something stinks!

Harry Monk
26-01-19, 12:33

The initial investigation will be conducted by the Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB). There will be no police involvement until an allegation of criminality is made. Booking a flight on a plane is not criminal, However, if someone booked a flight knowing a plane wasn't suitable and that the pilot wasn't qualified, that may indicate negligence at a criminal level, which would then trigger a police investigation. As the plane seems to have come down near the Channel Islands, I would assume any investigation would be conducted by The Sates Of Guernsey Police.

AlwaysAway2
26-01-19, 12:34
My first comment on this tragedy that has actually had me feeling guilty and I am just a stupid fan that lives in Jersey.

I had a PPL. Private pilots licence.

Pilots regularly fly without pay to keep their hours up. If you don’t fly enough hours you lose your licence. Their fuel money expense is covered by their passengers it’s a win win thing that all private pilots do and understand.

Did the pilot have IMC rating. Instrument meteorological conditions licence.

One licence is VFR only. In laymans terms you fly in clear skies only.

You can even fly at night with a VFR and night rating.

Flying VFR is relatively easy.
Flying IMC is difficult and requires permanent concentration. .

Harry Monk
26-01-19, 12:35
Something stinks!

There is nothing in law that allows them to seize computers, emails, texts etc just because someone thinks "something stinks".

Wolff
26-01-19, 12:36
There is nothing in law that allows them to seize computers, emails, texts etc just because someone thinks "something stinks".

Thought that was the very basis of sucspision.

Harry Monk
26-01-19, 12:40
Thought that was the very basis of sucspision.

Then misunderstand how a criminal investigation works.

Wolff
26-01-19, 12:44
Then misunderstand how a criminal investigation works.

Every time i watched Colombo, it started with sucspicion. Maybe i dont.

Harry Monk
26-01-19, 12:50
Every time i watched Colombo, it started with sucspicion. Maybe i dont.

I hate to tell you this, but Columbo was a fairy tale. I bet you think all murderers break down and admit the whole story when someone says "You did it! I know you did!" as well.

A Quiet Monkfish
26-01-19, 12:51
My first comment on this tragedy that has actually had me feeling guilty and I am just a stupid fan that lives in Jersey.

Pilots regularly fly without pay to keep their hours up. If you don’t fly enough hours you lose your licence. Their fuel money expense is covered by their passengers it’s a win win thing that all private pilots do and understand.

Correct. Can easily imagine the pilot was offered and expenses paid trip to Nantes and took it up . In those circumstances may well have felt obligated to fly that evening. Ultimately however, whether the pilot had the correct rating or not, he shouldn't have flown in that plane in those conditions..

Wolff
26-01-19, 13:03
I hate to tell you this, but Columbo was a fairy tale. I bet you think all murderers break down and admit the whole story when someone says "You did it! I know you did!" as well.

Yes. I have heard that happens from time to time. Not trough either? Here I’ve been going arround thinking investigatostarted with sucspicion and murderes confessing. Silly me!

AlwaysAway2
26-01-19, 13:17
And a comment on the liferaft.

Learning to fly in Jersey you were recommended to get the heavy liferaft from the back of the plane to the seat behind you in case you need it.
Flying in Jersey or any Channel Island you are always over water so it becomes second nature. If you are likely to ditch which in good conditions is relatively straightforward you are taught to remove a shoe and use it to wedge the plane door open closing the door on the shoe holding it closed as you ditch. This is to ensure the door doesn’t crumple closed on impact. This is all 100% genuine stuff.

Imagine where the liferaft might have been if Sala had a lot of personal luggage he was bringing.

It’s simply terrifying.
I just hope the pilot was fully qualified. The pilot is in charge. He decides if it is safe to fly.

Sky High Bluebird
26-01-19, 14:59
As a bare mimium at this time of year , with sea temperatures as they are they should have been wearing full immersion suits.

Even then he still shouldn’t have attempted it.

fred keenor
26-01-19, 15:39
Yes we have arranged a flight for you Elimiano, you have to wear a full immersion suit whilst flying.
Does anyone who is sane think this level of aircraft was suitable, if this conversation had taken place.

jon1959
26-01-19, 16:59
It seems that every few hours some more information (amongst misinformation and speculation) comes out about the events leading up to the tragedy.

This latest BBC report says that Mark McKee was acting for Nantes in the transfer negotiations - I previously understood he was a broker or middleman for his father's agency bringing Cardiff and Nantes together.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47013474

If that is the case, and Mark McKee made the initial arrangements for the flights (via David Henderson whose role and movements are another story) to and from Nantes, would he still be regarded as an agent for Nantes when making flight arrangements on the back of the transfer deal? I assume his relationship with Nantes ended when the contract was signed (unless he is on their payroll) but maybe not. It may explain why Cardiff has reportedly frozen payments to Nantes whilst they complete the internal club investigation.

Sky High Bluebird
26-01-19, 17:11
[QUOTE=fred keenor;4945197]Yes we have arranged a flight for you Elimiano, you have to wear a full immersion suit whilst flying.
Does anyone who is sane think this level of aircraft was suitable, if this conversation had taken place.[/QUOTE

It’s incredible that it was allowed to happen, and their now appears to be a race from those involved to be absolved from responsibility.

Sky High Bluebird
26-01-19, 17:12
Yes we have arranged a flight for you Elimiano, you have to wear a full immersion suit whilst flying.
Does anyone who is sane think this level of aircraft was suitable, if this conversation had taken place.

It’s incredible that it was allowed to happen, and their now appears to be a race from those involved to be absolved from responsibility.

xsnaggle
26-01-19, 19:28
The initial investigation will be conducted by the Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB). There will be no police involvement until an allegation of criminality is made. Booking a flight on a plane is not criminal, However, if someone booked a flight knowing a plane wasn't suitable and that the pilot wasn't qualified, that may indicate negligence at a criminal level, which would then trigger a police investigation. As the plane seems to have come down near the Channel Islands, I would assume any investigation would be conducted by The Sates Of Guernsey Police.

I thoug
ht that was basically what I said.

lisvaneblue
26-01-19, 20:09

Really interesting post. Can I ask whether you would have made the journey to Cardiff that night in that plane being aware of the tricky weather conditions?

AlwaysAway2
26-01-19, 21:57
Really interesting post. Can I ask whether you would have made the journey to Cardiff that night in that plane being aware of the tricky weather conditions?

Not having seen the METAR (Aviatiors local weather report) at Nantes that evening it is hard to answer. Icing can occur in carburettors of single engine planes in odd circumstances and is always a risk.
Icing on wings is usually dealable with because you concentrate always on keeping the plane in the air. Glide down if you have to.
No mayday indicates they crashed to me.
That said they were probably close to the boundary of or out of Jersey controlled airspace. Jersey airspace is category A. The most regulated in the UK.
Most of the English Channel is in uncontrolled airspace which will surprise many people.

If the pilot was experienced. Very and he had an IMC rating then yes he might have been ok to fly. He would and should have had details of alternative airports and in particular Guernsey and Jersey airport experience.

AlwaysAway2
26-01-19, 22:26
A better question is .....
Would I want to be a passenger in an old single engine plane being flown by a 60 year old I didn’t know at night over water in Winter?
Hindsight is easy but I think I would want to travel in daylight.

Sky High Bluebird
27-01-19, 00:49

I wouldn’t and I have a current ATPL and 13000 flying hours and a current instrument rating.

As a bare minimum I would have two engines and two crew on board.

blue matt
27-01-19, 02:09
I wouldn’t and I have a current ATPL and 13000 flying hours and a current instrument rating.

This is exactly what my Client / Friend said, he is a Snr BA pilot ( i know its slightly different flying commercial stuff, but I guess he is fairly experienced ) He was amazed by it all

Sloop_Jon_Bee
27-01-19, 10:53
It seems that every few hours some more information (amongst misinformation and speculation) comes out about the events leading up to the tragedy.

This latest BBC report says that Mark McKee was acting for Nantes in the transfer negotiations - I previously understood he was a broker or middleman for his father's agency bringing Cardiff and Nantes together.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47013474

If that is the case, and Mark McKee made the initial arrangements for the flights (via David Henderson whose role and movements are another story) to and from Nantes, would he still be regarded as an agent for Nantes when making flight arrangements on the back of the transfer deal? I assume his relationship with Nantes ended when the contract was signed (unless he is on their payroll) but maybe not. It may explain why Cardiff has reportedly frozen payments to Nantes whilst they complete the internal club investigation.

I wonder if Mark Mckay is the man NW refers to as his man in France that sometimes gives him the heads up on French League talent. In the few Q&As I have been to with NW since he came to the club, he mentions a guy who recommended Didier Drogba to him a few years' ago but NW did not go for it. The same guy recommended Luic Damour.
SJB

J R Hartley
27-01-19, 11:19
I wonder if Mark Mckay is the man NW refers to as his man in France that sometimes gives him the heads up on French League talent. In the few Q&As I have been to with NW since he came to the club, he mentions a guy who recommended Didier Drogba to him a few years' ago but NW did not go for it. The same guy recommended Luic Damour.
SJB
There’s some not very nice rumours doing the rounds about Warnock and Mckays relationship over the years. It’s not painting Warnock in a very good light.

the other bob wilson
27-01-19, 11:22
SJB

I may be wrong here Spedger, but my understanding was that Neil Warnock's "man in France" was an ex player who was at Sheffield United with him - something like De'Jaffo?

Former Labour leader
27-01-19, 12:07

What you and other pilots on this forum have said is interesting to say the least. It is shining a light on this type of aircraft being used for purposes which get around rules and regulations that apply to fully commercial flights.
I suspect this tragedy will not just involve serious litigation between the parties involved but also a change in the law.

J R Hartley
27-01-19, 12:09
What you and other pilots on this forum have said is interesting to say the least. It is shining a light on this type of aircraft being used for purposes which get around rules and regulations that apply to fully commercial flights.
I suspect this tragedy will not just involve serious litigation between the parties involved but also a change in the law.

It sounds like it could have been avoided. A hell of a lot of what ifs.

lisvaneblue
27-01-19, 13:43
The McKays seem to have dealt with Dave Henderson and he (?) sourced the aeroplane and the pilot for the trip(s).

There is a front page piece in todays Telegraph Sport saying that Willie McKay and his family have been through hell over on line abuse, and that people are talking about his sons. He said 'we just tried to help the young guy'( Sala) and had no involvement in selecting a plane and pilot.

I sort of understand his distress and I hope he understands that a lot of people are devastated and aggrieved at the probable death of a young footballer and his pilot.

I can't understand why they would want to interfere in the first place as, in conversation with Jack McKay, Sala says he was in the middle of looking at his flight options. It wasn't as if he was stuck. Also why offer to fly him for free? Someone has to pay somewhere along the line.

As far as the pilot choice was concerned in the Sala/ Mc Kay conversation the flight times for Monday are changed " Because the pilot has to get home in the North after Cardiff.' So at that point it is possible that someone in the family knew who that was and press reports point to David Henderson.

All a sad mystery for now

Welshcake.
27-01-19, 13:49
There is a front page piece in todays Telegraph Sport saying that Willie McKay and his family have been through hell over on line abuse, and that people are talking about his sons. He said 'we just tried to help the young guy'( Sala) and had no involvement in selecting a plane and pilot.

I sort of understand his distress and I hope he understands that a lot of people are devastated and aggrieved at the probable death of a young footballer and his pilot.

I can't understand why they would want to interfere in the first place as, in conversation with Jack McKay, Sala says he was in the middle of looking at his flight options. It wasn't as if he was stuck. Also why offer to fly him for free? Someone has to pay somewhere along the line.

As far as the pilot choice was concerned in the Sala/ Mc Kay conversation the flight times for Monday are changed " Because the pilot has to get home in the North after Cardiff.' So at that point it is possible that someone in the family knew who that was and press reports point to David Henderson.

A serious case of BSE (blame someone else) going on with all involved.

J R Hartley
27-01-19, 13:52

He’s got his own agent so why did they need to get involved?

Fulham traveller
27-01-19, 14:47
Bottom line agents have cut costs on a prized asset, and gambled with Sala s life, it’s a very very sad incident

A Quiet Monkfish
27-01-19, 15:03

In the same article McKay says he 'made the booking through David Henderson', which contradicts his assertion they had 'no involvement...'. If they left the organising of the plane and pilot to Henderson, who then sourced this plane and inexperienced pilot, both McKay and Henderson have a 'duty of care', and a legal liability regarding the safety of Sala. To put it simply, they are both in it up to their necks, whatever they may both say..