PDA

View Full Version : 'Caliburn'

royalewithcheese
23-03-19, 12:08
Many of you who have been on this messageboard a while will have very fond memories of a former contributor who was pretty outstanding in his wit and dignity. Clive Menadue passed away last Friday. I could say 'unfortunately', but he wouldn't want that. He was well ready having suffered long and hard with worsening Parkinson's to the point he could barely stand on his own two feet and only had brief windows of comprehension. His equally ageing wife, Sylvia, was stoic and loving throughout, but for the last few months he simply had to be transferred to East Glam hospital where on a caring ward, after a three-day coma, he finally found rest. Or, rather, a celestial messageboard perchance wherein to build his castle with Bing Crosby crooning from the turrets and Cardiff City pennants blowing in the wind. Farewell, old friend.

By his own request he is bowing out quietly. Just Margam Crematorium next Friday at 11 a.m. He was 86.

Der Kaiser
23-03-19, 12:10
Rest easy Bluebird.

Baloo
23-03-19, 12:15
Really enjoyed Caliburn’s contributions on this board. Condolences to friends and family.

the other bob wilson
23-03-19, 12:15
Many of you who have been on this messageboard a while will have very fond memories of a former contributor who was pretty outstanding in his wit and dignity. Clive Menadue passed away last Friday. I could say 'unfortunately', but he wouldn't want that. He was well ready having suffered long and hard with worsening Parkinson's to the point he could barely stand on his own two feet and only had brief windows of comprehension. His equally ageing wife, Sylvia, was stoic and loving throughout, but for the last few months he simply had to be transferred to East Glam hospital where on a caring ward, after a three-day coma, he finally found rest. Or, rather, a celestial messageboard perchance wherein to build his castle with Bing Crosby crooning from the turrets and Cardiff City pennants blowing in the wind. Farewell, old friend.

By his own request he is bowing out quietly. Just Margam Crematorium next Friday at 11 a.m. He was 86.

I knew Cal must be in bad way when the Christmas cards I sent him for the last couple of years were replied to by someone else who I assumed was his wife Sylvia, but that doesn't make this news any easier to bear.

RIP to one of this message boards greats.

Des Parrot
23-03-19, 12:16
RIP Cal. Many a shared thread . Forever a Bluebird.

mrbluejay
23-03-19, 12:19
RIP to a great contributor to the board.

The Bloop
23-03-19, 12:20
RIP to a fine Bluebird

Michael Morris
23-03-19, 12:22
RIP to a legend of CCMB.

Farewell sir.

stevo
23-03-19, 12:24
Sorry to hear this. I was thinking about him and other contributors of old just the other day :frown:

BLUETIT
23-03-19, 12:25
R I P

Sad loss

Spooky Tree
23-03-19, 12:34
A true CCMB legend. Him, and his posts, will be missed.

RIP, Bluebird.

NYCBlue
23-03-19, 12:35
Goodbye Cal. You were a great contributor to this board. And already missed.

jamieccfc
23-03-19, 12:37
RIP bluebird

Croesy Blue
23-03-19, 12:40
RIP he was a top guy

noodles
23-03-19, 12:44
A big loss for this board and everyone who knew him.
A real gent with a witty answer for everyone.
RIP Cal

Auntie Andy
23-03-19, 12:59
RIP Bluebird xxx

lardy
23-03-19, 13:04
A good man. RIP

NottinghamBlue
23-03-19, 13:08
RIP Caliburn and my condolences go out to his family and friends. I always enjoyed his posts.

lennybluebird
23-03-19, 13:18
RIP Cal��

soulsurfer3
23-03-19, 13:25
R.I.P. Cal. :old:

Condolences to all at this sad time.

JDerrida
23-03-19, 13:27
Always came across as an absolute gent, much respected and greatly appreciated.

RIP Sir.

The Bob Banker Spanker
23-03-19, 13:31
Rest in peace, Cal x

binman
23-03-19, 13:43
RIP Sir

He came across as a real gentleman

I'm sure QPR London will be shedding a tear

Jordi Culé
23-03-19, 13:46
Sad news but hopefully the description of Caliburn's idea of paradise is up there for him.

Caliburn was one of the reasons I used to frequent the board in its previous guises. Great knowledge and wit made great reading.

Majorblue
23-03-19, 14:04
Genuinely sorry to hear this.
We exchanged some books over the years and he gifted me a copy of his own writings.
A fine gentleman. RIP.

MacAdder
23-03-19, 14:16
Sorry to hear this. RIP Cal
:old: synonymous with the man

uncle bob
23-03-19, 14:17
R-I-P Sir Cal. One of the original posters from the start of this messageboard back in the days of 56k modem

Shute
23-03-19, 14:51
:old: He was one of us and a thoroughly witty bloke. RIP Caliburn.

jon1959
23-03-19, 14:57
Very sad news.

Cal (Clive) was one of the true greats of this board - a man of wit and wisdom, and a gentleman in the best and broadest sense.

I enjoyed his book and a number of PM exchanges over the years.

He hasn't posted for a while but he was loved, respected and will be missed. RIP Cal.

jon1959
23-03-19, 14:57
The Foxglove Sun - Clive Menadue

Veg1960
23-03-19, 15:09
Sad news.

I always found his posts entertaining. He had a lovely way of writing that was witty and gentle at the same time.

R.I.P

bluesp
23-03-19, 15:11
R.I.P. fellow bluebird

Eric the Half a Bee
23-03-19, 15:16
Around 12 years ago it was by pure chance that I discovered that Clive lived a minute's walk around the corner from me. He was having a break from this board due to ill health and I thought he might appreciate me printing out the substantial amount of goodwill messages posters had written. For the next couple of years I called around to see him regularly - each visit would take well over an hour where he mainly talked about Bing! I even got to hear a recording of him singing a Crosby number of which he was rather proud. He was an entertaining host who could make any subject sound interesting and I still have a very old club badge that he gave me. Moving some distance away meant we ultimately lost contact.

A true gent in every sense of the word and a good friend. RIP Clive.

Trigger
23-03-19, 15:18
Do remember his posts.

RIP Bluebird. Condolences to friends and family.

Cleve van Leef
23-03-19, 15:19

Very sorry to hear this news, remember him well and an amazing guy and contributor. Sent himChampionship Manager around 10/11 years ago as he wanted to try the game. RIP Cal, you really were a good ‘un.

bobh
23-03-19, 15:54
R.I.P Bluebird.

splott parker
23-03-19, 15:58
One of the great posters, the messagboard has been a poorer place without him posting these last few years RIP Cal

delmbox
23-03-19, 16:09
RIP Cal

Penarth Blues
23-03-19, 16:16
Caliburn was one of an increasingly rare breed in that he wanted to debate in a non-confrontational way and also added a gentle sense of humour to the board.

I recall he started posting less when the board started becoming more aggressive as posters felt they needed to become more extreme to get their views across.

His wit and charm is sadly now gone forever but he made me laugh on many occasions with his tales of St Johns Wood. That wit and humour is what I and many others will remember him for.

RIP Caliburn

Eric the Half a Bee
23-03-19, 16:20
Sent himChampionship Manager around 10/11 years ago as he wanted to try the game.

Lol, I remember him talking about that! All I'll say is that computers weren't his forte...

Taunton Blue Genie
23-03-19, 16:30
He seemed a lovely guy from his postings on here. A real gent.

Zenith
23-03-19, 16:33
RIP

Hungry Blue
23-03-19, 16:38
Around 12 years ago it was by pure chance that I discovered that Clive lived a minute's walk around the corner from me. He was having a break from this board due to ill health and I thought he might appreciate me printing out the substantial amount of goodwill messages posters had written. For the next couple of years I called around to see him regularly - each visit would take well over an hour where he mainly talked about Bing! I even got to hear a recording of him singing a Crosby number of which he was rather proud. He was an entertaining host who could make any subject sound interesting and I still have a very old club badge that he gave me. Moving some distance away meant we ultimately lost contact.

Fair play, I've been reading this board for years and don't often post but I can remember Cal's posts, he came across as a proper gent, the kind you don't see enough of nowadays.

Best wishes to all friends and family who had the pleasure to meet him.

William Treseder
23-03-19, 17:23

That’s a great story. RIP Caliburn.

The Lone Gunman
23-03-19, 17:50
Sad news. Clive was a lovely man.

I hadn't been posting on this board for too long before 'Cal' sent me a private message and asked for my home address. He said he liked my writing style, especially enjoyed my posts on the history of the club and had some things he wanted me to have. I gave him my address and a couple of days later two old Cardiff City history books arrived in the post, one of which was quite rare. He wouldn't accept any payment for them, but within a few months I was able to pick up a vintage who's who of Football League players from the 1940's and 1950's at a book fair, which I sent to him and he seemed to really appreciate.

For quite a number of years we corresponded fairly often, both by post and PM, and Clive was always a pleasure to talk with. He was especially supportive when I was encountering some quite serious problems with one of the lunatics who used to post here and his words of encouragement back then were a significant help to me.

RIP Clive, a real gentleman.

Steve the Tea
23-03-19, 18:30
So sad to hear this news. Though we never met it was a joy to read his posts and enter into much banter with the velvet penned scribe.

Many times we wrote anecdotes about the Gentlemen's Club in St John's Wood, London; his Castle on the Outer Isles off western Scotland; his mischievous butler; those perky maids and all things Cardiff City.

Cal, you will be missed. RIP mate.

StT.
<><

Swiss Peter
23-03-19, 18:36

Really sorry to hear that. I used to very much enjoy his posts on here.

IanD
23-03-19, 19:59
Really sorry to hear that. I used to very much enjoy his posts on here.

Same here. His stories varied from the personal to outrageous and thoroughly inventive flights of fancy. His serving whenches, along with many who remember him off this board (and the old board, I think) will miss him dearly. RIP Bluebird. One of a kind.

Rocco Siffredi
23-03-19, 20:08
Shame , he was a great poster in my early days of this MB , good knock Sir . R I P

Taffy Blue in Berkshire
23-03-19, 20:09
RIP Cal, a true gentleman and fondly remember your good humour.

Optimistic Nick
23-03-19, 20:16
Sorry to hear that, a great contributor to this board.

SLUDGE FACTORY
23-03-19, 20:18
A real ladies man on the quiet

Rest in peace

MOZZER2
23-03-19, 20:18
sad news

RIP

Wales-Bales
23-03-19, 20:45
I remember him from the days when people actually posted about topics, and avoided all the cheap shots. He was a delightful poster. RIP Caliburn.

cantonboy
23-03-19, 21:11
I was lucky enough to be given a signed copy of his book 'The Foxglove Sun' by him and also a letter detailing how he met Harold Pinter, I also had a few talks with him on the phone. He was a rare man, witty, good natured and without any 'side' at all. I will miss him.
Probably the greatest midfield player never to play for City.
RIP Cal...

Nick
23-03-19, 22:28
Good night Caliburn. God bless.

A thoroughly decent man, at rest, at last.

Sleep well my man. Bluebirds flying high.

cardiff55
23-03-19, 22:34
Very sad. he'll be up there now with Brian Clark, Ronnie Bird et al giving them his views.

maggs
23-03-19, 22:39
Cal was such a gentleman and I always enjoyed his posts on here. Hope the castle is ready for him. Condolences to all his family.

stevebrickman
23-03-19, 22:52
Caliburn was one of an increasingly rare breed in that he wanted to debate in a non-confrontational way and also added a gentle sense of humour

RIP Caliburn

That’s exactly how I remember him.

86... wow, that’s a good old age. Never realised he was in his 70s when he was regularly contributing

Arfur Europe
23-03-19, 22:58
The end of an era for sure. He was a much loved and well respected poster.

As said above, one of the first names I came to know as a regular on the original tree thread style CCMB back around 2000.

So glad an old Bluebird got see us in an FA Cup final, a League Cup Final, in the Premier League twice and in a new stadium.

Also, as a Welsh fan, Wales in a major tournament.

RIP Caliburn

Former Labour leader
23-03-19, 23:15
Genuinely saddened to hear the news. I was only thinking about him the other day. A wonderful articulate poster who came over as a real caring gentle person. Would be good if some of his musings were reposted on here.

blue matt
23-03-19, 23:19
RIP Cal

I hope the butler is behaving for him

Eric the Half a Bee
23-03-19, 23:23
RIP Cal

I hope the butler is behaving for him

He's been hard at it.

Harry Lime
23-03-19, 23:38
Sad news indeed
I enjoyed many discussions on here with Cal and in the real world with Clive. Very few were about football
A lovely man, he reminded me of my dad.
Hope Hartley his trusty butler is pouring him a large one.
Rest in peace x

Brisbane CCFC
24-03-19, 00:14
RIP sir. From Cambridge BLUE circa 1999.

neilw65
24-03-19, 00:38
Genuinely upset by this news.

RiP Cal and thank you!

insider
24-03-19, 01:49
RIP Cal
Rest easy BLUEBIRD

jeepster
24-03-19, 08:13
RIP one of lifes good people.

Robin Friday's Ghost
24-03-19, 09:04
That's very sad news. One of the characters on this board.

JennyWren
24-03-19, 09:16

Rest in peace old friend, a genuinely funny and intelligent man who I enjoyed interacting with.

Tuerto
24-03-19, 12:03
Remember Cal when i first started posting back in 2005, he had time for everyone and didn't get involved with the nastiness that sometimes went on. Came across as genuine and thoughtful.

Since64
24-03-19, 14:13
Gentlemen RIP

riffraff
24-03-19, 14:34
R.I.P. Caliburn. A true gentleman.

Chris Pontprennau Blues
24-03-19, 17:58
RIP Cal

Toadstool
24-03-19, 18:31
RIP Bluebird.
You were a credit to this message board amongst all the chaf.

celticknight
24-03-19, 18:35
Always enjoyed seeing his name pop up back in the day when he posted. Looks like we lost a good one.

RIP, fella. Condolences to his family.

G rangetown Blue
24-03-19, 18:42
Sad news. RIP.

life on mars
24-03-19, 19:05
It's always very sad to lose a CCMB contributor and City fan.

Hilts
24-03-19, 20:35
RIP Bluebird.

Mr Soul '68
24-03-19, 20:46
Farewell Caliburn, Oh I loved your posts of days gone by. Your posts have been sadly missed. May you Rest in Peace.

Bobby Dandruff
25-03-19, 08:08

I rarely knew what he was going on about, but I had no idea that he was so old! :-(

thehumblegringo
25-03-19, 08:38
RIP bluebird

superflyblues
25-03-19, 23:20
Such sad news. Loved reading his contributions. Thoughtful, gentle, generous.

Goodbye Cal. Thank you Cal. RIP Bluebird.

Eric the Half a Bee
13-01-23, 20:23
Still sadly missed.

Elwood Blues
13-01-23, 20:25
Still sadly missed.

Yes indeed. A fine gentleman

Swiss Peter
13-01-23, 20:32
What happened to royalewithcheese?

Ninja
13-01-23, 20:54
Wow, I remember Caliburn fondly.
My condolences to all his family and friends.

NottinghamBlue
13-01-23, 21:26

nicelongsleeves
14-01-23, 09:24
Oh that's sad,his messages were always a joy to read,a real gent.

Dave Blue
14-01-23, 12:31
Very sad. He will be missed.

Harry Lime
14-01-23, 13:56
I was in the supermarket around the corner from his old house the other day. Remembered him then as I often do, especially around Christmas

Splott-light...
14-01-23, 17:23
a lovely man, rest well Sir

NYCBlue
15-01-23, 11:18
Respect.

North Cardiff Blue
16-01-23, 17:41

Very sad deepest condolences remember reading his posts

Harry Lime
16-01-23, 18:18
What happened to royalewithcheese?

Good question

splott parker
16-01-23, 18:22
Very sad deepest condolences remember reading his posts

Coming up 4 years now, very good poster.

Tuerto
16-01-23, 18:22
Good question

I can remember when i first started posting, Royalewithcheese had it in for me :hehe: Then after a while we sort of warmed towards each other and had some great conversations. I do wonder what happened to him. Hope he's ok.

Butterwick Blue
16-01-23, 18:29
I’m sure it was posted a while ago, that the OP had also passed away. Very sad.

the other bob wilson
16-01-23, 18:43
Royale has been an occasional contributor to my blog. Don’t think he’s sent anything to the Feedback section this season, but he did last - I’d say it’s about ten months since I heard from him.

As some of you will know, Cal wrote a very good autobiography of his younger years, Royale did one as well which I enjoyed reading - particularly the bits about his mate Brian Clough.

North Cardiff Blue
16-01-23, 19:09
Coming up 4 years now, very good poster.

Yes, he was very good, but that's gone very quickly.

AfricanBluebird
16-01-23, 20:48
As a long term contributor to this board I remember Caliburn very fondly.

He was always sharp, insightful and was respectful of others.

He was a mainstay of the board for many years and enjoyed his comments and conversations.

RIP Clive, a true Bluebird and gentleman.

Super Nintendo Chalmers
16-01-23, 20:50

Oh that is such sad news 😪 A genuine legend of the golden days!! RIP Cal. Sleep tight x