PDA

View Full Version : Newport (AFC) County

Forest Green Bluebird
14-05-19, 16:53
Could be just one level below Cardiff soon.

I think they were one level above at some time in the not too distant past.

goats
14-05-19, 17:59
Have they ever been at championship level? Chances are they will go back down as they always seem too. It would be an eye opener for some if we were ever in the same league, the hate they have is worse than Swansea do. Maybe things have moved on there like they have with us, but Newport is a weird rough place so I doubt it.....

cardiff55
14-05-19, 18:35
County were above us in 1946/47 season, the year they lost 13-0 at Newcastle. We were in Division 3 south and were Champions so we passed each other as they were relegated. I think the only other time was 1986/87 , our first in Division 4 , when they were relegated , and then went out of the League the following season.

Interestingly they have beaten us more times in the League than we have beaten them, mostly in the 1930s.

Just to compare we have beaten Liverpool more times than they have beaten us, well up to the 1990s. At that time were were the only team to have a better record against Liverpool than they had against an opposition team. But we've lost 4 on the trot now.

Forest Green Bluebird
14-05-19, 20:50
Have they ever been at championship level? Chances are they will go back down as they always seem too. It would be an eye opener for some if we were ever in the same league, the hate they have is worse than Swansea do. Maybe things have moved on there like they have with us, but Newport is a weird rough place so I doubt it.....

In the old days of Division 1 to 4, Newport got up to Div 3 (I think) whilst we were in Div 4.

Newport never been above level 3.

goats
15-05-19, 05:58
Thought so, apart from around 1982/1983 they have never been above us, only when we plummet do they become rivals. Usually, we are a few leagues apart and our fans decide they want them to do well, but like a little brother at sports day.....

A Quiet Monkfish
15-05-19, 06:26
In the old days of Division 1 to 4, Newport got up to Div 3 (I think) whilst we were in Div 4.

Newport never been above level 3.

Wrong. See Cardiff 55

A Quiet Monkfish
15-05-19, 06:26
Thought so, apart from around 1982/1983 they have never been above us, only when we plummet do they become rivals. Usually, we are a few leagues apart and our fans decide they want them to do well, but like a little brother at sports day.....

wrong see Cardiff 55

the other bob wilson
15-05-19, 06:39
County also played a few Second Division games in the 39/40 season which barely got started before the outbreak of war. They had won the Division 3 South title in 38/39 and a record of won one, drawn one and lost one (including a win over Southampton and a draw with Spurs) at the higher level before the declaration of war suggests that County may have done okay that season, but when the Football League restarted some seven years later, they were struggling from the start (they did manage to beat Newcastle 4-2 in the return game though) and finished six points adrift at the bottom of the table.

William Treseder
15-05-19, 06:45
Remember when their home games on a Saturday kicked off at 3.15pm. Think it was to give fans who worked at Llanwern steel works a chance to get there after their shift ended ???

the other bob wilson
15-05-19, 08:42
Remember when their home games on a Saturday kicked off at 3.15pm. Think it was to give fans who worked at Llanwern steel works a chance to get there after their shift ended ???

I'd forgotten about that, I also seem to remember them playing home midweek matches on a Monday for some reason.

William Treseder
15-05-19, 08:59
I'd forgotten about that, I also seem to remember them playing home midweek matches on a Monday for some reason.
Can you also remember when Torquay Utd used play on a Saturday evening? Never found out the reasoning behind that one.

the other bob wilson
15-05-19, 09:02
Can you also remember when Torquay Utd used play on a Saturday evening? Never found out the reasoning behind that one.

Yes, pretty sure we played down there early in the season in the League Cup and it was a Saturday evening kick off (I think Willie Brown, ex County, may have scored for them). I daresay that early and late season matches were played in the evening to enable people to go to the local beaches and get to a game on the same day, but I'm pretty sure they used to have Saturday night matches through the winter months as well.

Taunton Blue Genie
15-05-19, 11:28

I think that they used to play on Friday evenings.

Edit: Just found this posted on their website in 2017:

“Friday night football always excited me as a player, and fans have told me that it is something that they would like to see back at Plainmoor,” said Harrop.

“Moving some of our fixtures to a Friday night would allow more fans to come to the game, including footballers that play on a Saturday."

ivandobsky
15-05-19, 11:58
Yes, pretty sure we played down there early in the season in the League Cup and it was a Saturday evening kick off (I think Willie Brown, ex County, may have scored for them). I daresay that early and late season matches were played in the evening to enable people to go to the local beaches and get to a game on the same day, but I'm pretty sure they used to have Saturday night matches through the winter months as well.

I was at the League Cup game in 1977 as I was on holiday with my folks and it was a Saturday evening. I think the town took a bit of damage and the local news was full of it the day after, also this was the game where a policeman died after being spat at.

splott parker
15-05-19, 12:04

Our games were always 3.15pm kick off as well and midweek games 7.15pm in the early/mid sixties.

William Treseder
15-05-19, 18:47
Our games were always 3.15pm kick off as well and midweek games 7.15pm in the early/mid sixties.
I never knew that. Started going down the City early 70’s. Was there a similar reason to Newport?

splott parker
15-05-19, 19:34
I never knew that. Started going down the City early 70’s. Was there a similar reason to Newport?
Saturday morning workers given a bit more time to make kick off was the definite 3.15 reason. I’d assume the 7.15 reason was down to transport reasons, car ownership was nowhere near what it is today so you’d imagine there was a big demand for trains & buses home, especially the out of Cardiff fans.

William Treseder
15-05-19, 19:42
Saturday morning workers given a bit more time to make kick off was the definite 3.15 reason. I’d assume the 7.15 reason was down to transport reasons, car ownership was nowhere near what it is today so you’d imagine there was a big demand for trains & buses home, especially the out of Cardiff fans.
👍

William Treseder
15-05-19, 19:44
I think that they used to play on Friday evenings.

Edit: Just found this posted on their website in 2017:

“Friday night football always excited me as a player, and fans have told me that it is something that they would like to see back at Plainmoor,” said Harrop.
“Moving some of our fixtures to a Friday night would allow more fans to come to the game, including footballers that play on a Saturday."

Are you sure it was a Friday night? I could have sworn it was Saturday evening?

William Treseder
15-05-19, 19:47
Forum

Taunton Blue Genie
16-05-19, 05:57
Are you sure it was a Friday night? I could have sworn it was Saturday evening?

They may very well have also played on Saturday evenings but the quote I posted also seems to refer to games they used to play on Friday evenings. Could be wrong but there you go.

xsnaggle
16-05-19, 07:36

When there was a rugby international and City had a home game we would kick-off Saturdays at 7.15. Lots of people then went to both games

the other bob wilson
16-05-19, 09:13
They may very well have also played on Saturday evenings but the quote I posted also seems to refer to games they used to play on Friday evenings. Could be wrong but there you go.

They did play on Saturday nights in the early seventies for sure because I can remember watching Match of the Day in my pre going out and getting pissed on that night days back in the early seventies when they would often give the result of the game played at Plaimoor that evening.

I also saw one of those old Big Match programmes from about forty years ago on BT Sport recently where they talked of Wimbledon being promoted the previous night after their game at Torquay.

Lord Worcester
16-05-19, 20:13
They did play on Saturday nights in the early seventies for sure because I can remember watching Match of the Day in my pre going out and getting pissed on that night days back in the early seventies when they would often give the result of the game played at Plaimoor that evening.

I also saw one of those old Big Match programmes from about forty years ago on BT Sport recently where they talked of Wimbledon being promoted the previous night after their game at Torquay.

Always used to be tranmere Friday night (obvious reasons) Newport 3.15 and Torquay sat night. Those were always the oddities. Happy days....

The Bloop
16-05-19, 20:49
Always used to be tranmere Friday night (obvious reasons) Newport 3.15 and Torquay sat night. Those were always the oddities. Happy days....

Reading are still a bit quirky with their 8pm midweek kickoffs.

Pearcey3
16-05-19, 20:54
Reading are still a bit quirky with their 8pm midweek kickoffs.

We used to be 7:45pm in Elm Park days but because The Madejski is so close to the M4 it switched to 8pm

NYCBlue
17-05-19, 12:35
I remember Stockport County always played on Friday nights. As there was no regular season live games on TV, I wonder what percentage of their fans actually showed up at Old Trafford or Maine Road teh next day.

Do me a Faerber
17-05-19, 20:33

With the fuel strikes, league games kicked off at 2:30, 2:15 in the winter.

Do me a Faerber
17-05-19, 20:34
I remember Stockport County always played on Friday nights. As there was no regular season live games on TV, I wonder what percentage of their fans actually showed up at Old Trafford or Maine Road teh next day.

And Tranmere. They'd always be on Saint and Greavsie.

B. Oddie
25-05-19, 08:56
See that County are putting the match on screen at Rodney Parade today and aren't charging anything, but it is on a first come basis.

Though that's a nice gesture, I think fans wouldn't mind paying at least a fiver If they fill half the ground today, that's would be a tidy income plus a a few pints/chips etc.

the other bob wilson
25-05-19, 09:15
Best of luck to County today!

life on mars
25-05-19, 09:18

Absolutely, never disliked them as other fans do.

Taffy Blue in Berkshire
25-05-19, 10:57
Hope they do it, thoroughly deserved and would be a fitting reward for all the hard work, manager seems a top bloke and local boy.

JDerrida
25-05-19, 11:58
Hope they do it, thoroughly deserved and would be a fitting reward for all the hard work, manager seems a top bloke and local boy.

Totally agree.

Mike Flynn has worked miracles there from the moment he arrived. Got a huge amount of respect for him.

bobh
25-05-19, 12:27

Absolutely, never disliked them as other fans do.

Ditto

splott parker
25-05-19, 12:53
Totally agree.

Mike Flynn has worked miracles there from the moment he arrived. Got a huge amount of respect for him.
Not a bad baseballer as well for St Mike’s.

Heathblue
25-05-19, 14:24
Fu em, hope they get dicked.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
25-05-19, 14:53
Fu em, hope they get dicked.

If I'm honest, me too!

Taunton Blue Genie
25-05-19, 14:56
A big thumbs to our neighbours from me. I'm not someone who projects negativity on rival clubs.

Philbccfc
25-05-19, 15:19
A big thumbs to our neighbours from me. I'm not someone who projects negativity on rival clubs.

Quality of football so far is awful. 3rd division stuff.

MacAdder
25-05-19, 15:22

Was about to post something similar.
It's been a long season and damned hot on a big pitch.

Philbccfc
25-05-19, 15:43
Was about to post something similar.
It's been a long season and damned hot on a big pitch.
S McNulty the very definition of a parks player. Surely tranmere have someone who at least looks a bit fitter.
He,ll probably score the winner now lol

MacAdder
25-05-19, 15:44
Newport should have had a pelanty.
Referee hasn't been great.

MacAdder
25-05-19, 15:48
Port down to 10!
Been unlucky last 20 mins TBF.

NYCBlue
25-05-19, 15:52

Surprising for a game between two 4th division teams. If they can play to 3rd division standard whoever wins this could do alright next season.

the other bob wilson
25-05-19, 15:58
For the third time in the Play Offs, Tranmere find themselves up against ten men as their opponents receive a red card - Mike Dean's mates doing him a favour?

Divine Wright
25-05-19, 15:58
Penalty on Matt was huge.

Divine Wright
25-05-19, 15:59
Got to be playing for pens now. Maybe nick one.

xsnaggle
25-05-19, 16:00
I can't imagine how grueling it must be playing extra time with 10 men. I feel for them.

Igovernor
25-05-19, 16:00
The lino flagged for offside as ball was played before the foul so no penalty

Divine Wright
25-05-19, 16:02
Nervy stuff fair play. Live on Sky Main Event if you have mobdro or a subscription.

Divine Wright
25-05-19, 16:04

He must have read Matt’s mind then . I don’t think he was passing the ball, he would have taken it on himself had he not been fouled ... in which event there is no offside.

The Bob Banker Spanker
25-05-19, 16:29
Port down to 10!
Been unlucky last 20 mins TBF.
Don’t you mean “dewn” to 10 men?

MacAdder
25-05-19, 16:29
He must have read Matt’s mind then . I don’t think he was passing the ball, he would have taken it on himself had he not been fouled ... in which event there is no offside.

^^That's the way I saw it

MacAdder
25-05-19, 16:31
1 nil Tranmere. Game over :-(

Michael Morris
25-05-19, 16:31
Goal Tranmere 119 mins

Pearcey3
25-05-19, 16:37
I hate the ****ing play offs. Newport looked set for pens.

Hilts
25-05-19, 16:41
They were crap and deserved to lose.

Organ Morgan.
25-05-19, 16:41
Tedious viewing but what a great ending. 25,000 attendance, 11,000 being Newport scummers.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
25-05-19, 16:43
S McNulty the very definition of a parks player. Surely tranmere have someone who at least looks a bit fitter.
He,ll probably score the winner now lol

Did you see the other porky they brought on, Nelson I think his name was? Geez, between him and McNulty they must have been pushing 32stone! :hehe:

The Bob Banker Spanker
25-05-19, 16:46
Tedious viewing but what a great ending. 25,000 attendance, 11,000 being Newport scummers.

Superb ending.
Imagine Flynn will move to a bigger club as well. Excellent.

bobh
25-05-19, 16:47

Bollocks!
Ok, the guy was in an offside position,
but the foul was made before he became active
Stonewall pelanty. And a qualified ref watching with me agrees.

Another Welsh club shafted by poor English officials.

Pearcey3
25-05-19, 16:56
Bollocks!

It does seem to be a recurring theme. Clear pen for me and it’s cost them promotion.

binman
25-05-19, 17:00
They were crap and deserved to lose.

This - they were dreadful and I'm glad they lost as I really don't like them and I've always liked Half Man Half Biscuit who I bet are made up.

the other bob wilson
25-05-19, 17:55
Bollocks!

That's it exactly, how many times have we seen a City player in a great position, the flag stays down and we get excited because we think he's clean through on goal only for the flag to go up as the ball reaches him and he becomes "active". This, apparently, is the correct thing for a linesman to do which means that today's official was way too eager with his flag - it should have been a penalty,

City123
25-05-19, 17:58
Newport definitely should have had a penalty, very unfortunate

How Perkins stayed on the pitch is beyond me seeing the amount of fouls he made

Taunton Blue Genie
25-05-19, 18:09
Bollocks!

Ah, the old Welsh paranoia.....

ElyBlu
25-05-19, 18:39
Good enough for em, f*ck Newport

WJ99mobile
25-05-19, 18:40
I watched the game. Devoid of any quality and there could have been any number or penalties or sendings off.

Bad luck the Pert

Lord Worcester
25-05-19, 20:01
That's it exactly, how many times have we seen a City player in a great position, the flag stays down and we get excited because we think he's clean through on goal only for the flag to go up as the ball reaches him and he becomes "active". This, apparently, is the correct thing for a linesman to do which means that today's official was way too eager with his flag - it should have been a penalty,

It was a penalty. Scandalous.

The Bloop
25-05-19, 20:14
Shocking by the linesman. Ref should have over-ruled.

bobh
25-05-19, 20:35

TBH, i think the lino was right as I think he couldn't see the foul, but you are correct - the ref should have overruled.

DubaiDai
25-05-19, 20:36

A crap year for Welsh clubs.
City relegated, Swansea completely skint and losing their manager, Newport failed at the final hurdle, Wrexham faded in the final 6 games and failed to get promotion.

The Bloop
25-05-19, 20:37
City relegated, Swansea completely skint and losing their manager, Newport failed at the final hurdle, Wrexham faded in the final 6 games and failed to get promotion.

Jack's should have beaten Man City in the FA Cup aswell.

Eric the Half a Bee
25-05-19, 20:44

In many ways it's been close to being a hugely successful one.

City not far away from staying up.
Swansea could have pinched a play off spot.
Newport could have won a play off final.
Wrexham were top of the table for a while and could have won the playoffs.

jeepster
25-05-19, 20:47

And the unicorn with the wining lottery on its horn just for me.:thumbup:

blue matt
25-05-19, 23:29
Ah, the old Welsh paranoia.....

Could be worse, could be Bleating on about the " prince of wales bridge " name :wales::wave:

StraightOuttaCanton
26-05-19, 04:11

Close? This is sport. It’s binary

ToTaL ITK
26-05-19, 07:27
Good enough for em, f*ck Newport

yeah feck em ...feck north cardiff or south cardiff, feck heath or lanishen....feck the other street, feck the neighbours.!
:D

Heathblue
26-05-19, 08:33
The half n half shirt wearing, scarf buying brigade outed in this Fred 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Rock_Flock_of_Five
26-05-19, 15:12
yeah feck em ...feck north cardiff or south cardiff, feck heath or lanishen....feck the other street, feck the neighbours.!
:D

Why, it's the City where a lot of us come from and where the football club we love is located? Newport on the other hand....

Heathblue
26-05-19, 20:01
Why, it's the City where a lot of us come from and where the football club we love is located? Newport on the other hand....

My Son-in Law was at Wembley yesterday cheering on the port, gutted for him and his father but The 70's / 80's at Somerton paaaark :hehe:, the only decent sport that went on there was Phil Crump and the speedway, good night's out :thumbup: