PDA

View Full Version : 20 million really ??

life on mars
01-08-19, 16:07
Sheffield United have agreed a club record £20m deal for Swansea City striker Oli McBurnie.

ToTaL ITK
01-08-19, 16:08
sauce?

splott parker
01-08-19, 16:10
sauce?
Oh, it’ll be on HP👍

ToTaL ITK
01-08-19, 16:12
hire purchase!!! I don't believe it !

valleys caveman
01-08-19, 16:13
Heard this on the radio earlier. Jacks have done well out of this. In my humble opinion he's average at best and £5m would be about right.

splott parker
01-08-19, 16:15
hire purchase!!! I don't believe it !
OK then 🤪

Igovernor
01-08-19, 17:05
£17m only £20m with addons probably if they stay up!

delmbox
01-08-19, 17:23
Heard this on the radio earlier. Jacks have done well out of this. In my humble opinion he's average at best and £5m would be about right.

£5million for a 23 year old Scottish international who scored 24 goals last season? Come on, don't be ridiculous

Ianto13
01-08-19, 17:24
£17m only £20m with addons probably if they stay up!

The Jacks always seem to get top dollar for their players while we always sell on the cheap? Ramsey £4.8m, Bruno £3m, Zohore 8m, Ledley 0, Matthews 0, numerous other actually payed off to leave! How much will we get back for Madine,Tomlin,Cunningham,Bogle and Smithies all Apparently we are trying to shift!

Trigger
01-08-19, 17:27
The Jacks always seem to get top dollar for their players while we always sell on the cheap? Ramsey £4.8m, Bruno £3m, Zohore 8m, Ledley 0, Matthews 0, numerous other actually payed off to leave! How much will we get back for Madine,Tomlin,Cunningham,Bogle and Smithies all Apparently we are trying to shift!

To be fair Ramsey, chopra would be top dollar today also. Prices gone crazy.

valleys caveman
01-08-19, 17:27
£5million for a 23 year old Scottish international who scored 24 goals last season? Come on, don't be ridiculous

Ok, £6m tops :hehe:
I could most probably get in Scotland's team.

Hilts
01-08-19, 17:38

Theyve fecked up as well in recent years. The Ayews Carroll Clucas Bony Baston to name a few.

NYCBlue
01-08-19, 18:31

Seems like a player that can score regularly in the Championship is worth at least £10m these days.

MacAdder
01-08-19, 18:46
He did have people like Dan James playing alongside him last year and although I have done little research (I ain't that sad), one would have thought he'd have had a good few chances and more than likely missed a few. It's a lot easier playing striker when you know that if you miss one or two, you will still get another chance to put it right.

We'll see how good he is this season but fair play to SU, they are speculating.

goats
01-08-19, 19:05

Didn’t bobby Reid score more than that in his last season in the championship?

goats
01-08-19, 19:07
Theyve fecked up as well in recent years. The Ayews Carroll Clucas Bony Baston to name a few.

Don’t forget sanches he cost them 8 million odd, they blew about 75 million on rubbish that’s not worth anything

splott parker
01-08-19, 19:15
This is getting similar to the Shankley anecdote..... “Err, the boy McBurnie”......”20 million wouldn’t buy him”...... “I know I’m one of them”.

splott parker
01-08-19, 19:16
Don’t forget sanches he cost them 8 million odd, they blew about 75 million on rubbish that’s not worth anything
I read that as don’t forget the sandwiches at first & thought no wonder they’re in the shite🤪

thehumblegringo
01-08-19, 19:30
He did have people like Dan James playing alongside him last year and although I have done little research (I ain't that sad), one would have thought he'd have had a good few chances and more than likely missed a few. It's a lot easier playing striker when you know that if you miss one or two, you will still get another chance to put it right.

We'll see how good he is this season but fair play to SU, they are speculating.

I think you're being a bit unfair on the lad. I watched them a few times on sky last season and he certainly wasn't a fox in the box type player who's only offering was goals.

When I watched them he was all over the place. He'd be helping out at left back one minute, then he'd be in the number 10 position then he'd be up top.

They'll miss him as much as Dan James in my opinion as teams hadn't even got to grips with how fast James was last season.

MacAdder
01-08-19, 19:40
I think you're being a bit unfair on the lad. I watched them a few times on sky last season and he certainly wasn't a fox in the box type player who's only offering was goals.

When I watched them he was all over the place. He'd be helping out at left back one minute, then he'd be in the number 10 position then he'd be up top.

They'll miss him as much as Dan James in my opinion as teams hadn't even got to grips with how fast James was last season.

Haven't seen much of him in fairness, the only impression he had on me was that he looks a bit scruffy and ungainly.
They must have had a good look at the bloke but as I say, time will tell.

City123
01-08-19, 19:52
24 goals in his first season as a first team regular for Swansea, 9 in 17 for Barnsley the season before.

delmbox
01-08-19, 20:13

Maybe :hehe:

BlueArmy 86
01-08-19, 23:42
£8m good money for Zohore

Lawnmower
02-08-19, 05:34

Ask Scotland fans what they thought of him.

Absolute shite is what I’ve mostly seen.

They’d prefer Paterson up top.

Prices have gone mad.

He’s a hard worker and scores a few, but he had some good players around him creating lots of chances.

He found it a lot more difficult when he played in the Prem.

Not quick, particularly good in the air or tricky.

Good touch and brings other players in well, movement and hold up play very good.

Young too but I can’t see him getting quicker, trickier or better in the air -£20m seems Madness.

Hilts
02-08-19, 06:36

Prices have gone mad.

He’s a hard worker and scores a few, but he had some good players around him creating lots of chances.

Good touch and brings other players in well, movement and hold up play very good.

Young too but I can’t see him getting quicker, trickier or better in the air -£20m seems Madness.

I dont think McBurnie is worth that fee. However hes obviously a natural goalscorer and i dont think Swansea were creating loads of chances. Most of their prettty football was in non dangerous positions.

Without his goals theyd have been in trouble.

Kitman
02-08-19, 07:01

We normally have to cancel by mutual consent

thehumblegringo
02-08-19, 07:03

Prices have gone mad.

Would you rather Paterson or Mcburnie up front?

Q
02-08-19, 07:19
8m for Zohore good, at the time Ramsey - 5m for a 16/17 yo was good money - Prefer he stayed and potential for more but if he had to go, add on’s would have been nice but club needed cash.

Fee for this guy looks about right,. Real question is who cares what they get really? They are not our problem.

thehumblegringo
02-08-19, 07:47
Fee for this guy looks about right,. Real question is who cares what they get really? They are not our problem.

I agree but it shows how a functional academy can benefit a football club. If they weren't able to sell two academy players for nearly £40 million then they'd be in shit street now.

Pedro de la Rosa
02-08-19, 08:01
I agree but it shows how a functional academy can benefit a football club. If they weren't able to sell two academy players for nearly £40 million then they'd be in shit street now.

James and McBurnie were in their late teens by the time they went to the Jacks. They obviously deserve credit though but people criticise us for taking Ralls at 15 and not a real youth player etc, while these two came in 2/3 years after that! I agree though, we have to get it working better than it is currently, we've wasted 5 seasons really with no progression. Hopefully Coxe gets games somewhere this season!

Re McBurnie, he puts the ball in the back of the net first and foremost. If he does that, nobody will care. He's scored 33 in his last 61 games for the Jacks and Barnsley. It's a lot of money but I'd rather spend it on him than Solanke.

qccfc
02-08-19, 08:02

Both Mcburnie and James were signed from other clubs.

thehumblegringo
02-08-19, 08:12
James and McBurnie were in their late teens by the time they went to the Jacks. They obviously deserve credit though but people criticise us for taking Ralls at 15 and not a real youth player etc, while these two came in 2/3 years after that! I agree though, we have to get it working better than it is currently, we've wasted 5 seasons really with no progression. Hopefully Coxe gets games somewhere this season!

Re McBurnie, he puts the ball in the back of the net first and foremost. If he does that, nobody will care. He's scored 33 in his last 61 games for the Jacks and Barnsley. It's a lot of money but I'd rather spend it on him than Solanke.

I don't think we should be criticized for taking Ralls and developing him and I don't think they should be criticized for how they've developed Mcburnie and particularly Dan James who was about 14 when he went to Swansea from Hull.

Either way they've spent a lot of time developing these players in their academy according to their philosophy and made a profit of £35 million ffs. How can anyone be sceptical of that!!

qccfc
02-08-19, 08:16
I don't think we should be criticized for taking Ralls and developing him and I don't think they should be criticized for how they've developed Mcburnie and particularly Dan James who was about 14 when he went to Swansea from Hull.

Either way they've spent a lot of time developing these players in their academy according to their philosophy and made a profit of £35 million ffs. How can anyone be sceptical of that!!

Players were 17 (James) and 19 (Mcburnie). They pretty much spent their time in other academies.

This shows that its useful being in the Premier league to scout younger players and have them playing in your U23 side.

Pedro de la Rosa
02-08-19, 08:26
Players were 17 (James) and 19 (Mcburnie). They pretty much spent their time in other academies.

This shows that its useful being in the Premier league to scout younger players and have them playing in your U23 side.

And how important it is to have a Cat 1 academy. You can't have a good academy for the level we're at without it. We've lost players like Matondo because of our Cat 2 status.

Pedro de la Rosa
02-08-19, 08:29
Just for clarity, James was 16 when he joined the Jacks:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150416004129/http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Highly-rated-Hull-City-youngster-Dan-James-8216/story-21286534-detail/story.html#

McBurnie was 19 and already played 30 professional games:
https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/13410599.swansea-swoop-for-bradford-city-teenager-mcburnie/

All credit to the Jacks for improving them.

qccfc
02-08-19, 08:29
And how important it is to have a Cat 1 academy. You can't have a good academy for the level we're at without it. We've lost players like Matondo because of our Cat 2 status.

Not really both players were already out of their respective academy before they came to Swansea. McBurnie was on a pro deal at Bradford.

Dont get me wrong Swansea did well to identify 2 young talents, they were lucky they were in the Premier League at the time, and the players developed in their U23 squad.

However its nothing to do with them having a strong academy.

Pedro de la Rosa
02-08-19, 08:33
Not really both players were already out of their respective academy before they came to Swansea. McBurnie was on a pro deal at Bradford.

Dont get me wrong Swansea did well to identify 2 young talents, they were lucky they were in the Premier League at the time, and the players developed in their U23 squad.

However its nothing to do with them having a strong academy.

The Jacks could sign James because they were Cat 1 while Hull's academy was not, hence the low fee (£72k!).

delmbox
02-08-19, 09:17
Would you rather Paterson or Mcburnie up front?

100% McBurnie for me, seems a natural goalscorer and has knocked them in for both clubs he's played for. Pato puts a shift in and scores a few through hard work