What a proud Yorkshireman

What a ****

Sounds like most of Wales with its Man U and Liverpool associations

fingers
10-09-19, 13:23
Wife beating prick

Hot Shot Hamish.
10-09-19, 13:32
For purely cricket reasons it is well deserved. Why Andrew Strauss has got one is way beyond my understanding.

qccfc
10-09-19, 13:40
For purely cricket reasons it is well deserved. Why Andrew Strauss has got one is way beyond my understanding.

Yeah i mean, he only captained England 50 times, led them to the number 1 team in the world in tests, won 2 ashes series as captain and was the last England captain to win the Ashes away.

After he stopped playing he was the director of Cricket for England and put much of the structure in place that led to England winning the world cup, only leaving the role after his wife contracted a rare form of cancer.

After being left with 2 young son Strauss set up the Ruth Strauss foundation raising awareness and funds for Cancer,starting with a very successful day at Lords against Ireland.

but apart from that he has achieved next to nothing.

delmbox
10-09-19, 13:55
Yeah i mean, he only captained England 50 times, led them to the number 1 team in the world in tests, won 2 ashes series as captain and was the last England captain to win the Ashes away.

After he stopped playing he was the director of Cricket for England and put much of the structure in place that led to England winning the world cup, only leaving the role after his wife contracted a rare form of cancer.

After being left with 2 young son Strauss set up the Ruth Strauss foundation raising awareness and funds for Cancer,starting with a very successful day at Lords against Ireland.

You're replying to a guy that seems to think that someone can deserve a knighthood for being very good at cricket, which overrules the fact that he held his wife down and hit her 20 times in the face. I wouldn't worry too much.

Harry Monk
10-09-19, 14:27

I thought it was England and Wales?

qccfc
10-09-19, 14:29
I thought it was England and Wales?

No the team is England, the board is the England and Wales Cricket Board.

Wales play in the minor counties league, surprisingly the people who bleat about there not being a welsh team, don't bother supporting them.

David Vincent
10-09-19, 14:31
You're replying to a guy that seems to think that someone can deserve a knighthood for being very good at cricket, which overrules the fact that he held his wife down and hit her 20 times in the face. I wouldn't worry too much.

The evidence suggests she made the story up.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/honours-list/11922112/Geoffrey-Boycott-must-be-knighted-after-new-evidence-points-to-his-innocence-over-domestic-abuse-case.html

Harry Monk
10-09-19, 14:42
No the team is England, the board is the England and Wales Cricket Board.

Wales play in the minor counties league, surprisingly the people who bleat about there not being a welsh team, don't bother supporting them.

I keep getting told it's England and Wales, and that's why they play in Cardiff sometimes. Clearly I'm misinformed.

qccfc
10-09-19, 14:46
I keep getting told it's England and Wales, and that's why they play in Cardiff sometimes. Clearly I'm misinformed.

You should read the post the team is England and that is the representative team of the England and Wales cricket board.

People can support who they like, whether that be England, Wales, Glamorgan or even Cardiff.

Hot Shot Hamish.
10-09-19, 15:09
We're all allowed an opinion. I don't remember Illingworth getting a knighthood for winning out in Australia back in 1970, nor Gatting in 86. Brearley was captain of England in arguably the greatest series ever back in 1981 without receiving one. Maybe it's a case that they are dished out far more easily today.

Strauss was a very good test match player but will never be remembered as a great. And if he is accepting the glory for the world cup win, than he must also be responsible for the demise of the test team and the feeder county championship.

I truly feel sympathy for him for the tragic loss of his wife, and being left with two young sons. The foundation he has set up is a fantastic memorial, but it's only been in existence for 12 weeks. I really hope it flourishes just like Glen McGraths in Australia. As I said its just my opinion, but I don't think his cricket career warrants a knighthood, when so many better players in previous generations never received one.

delmbox
10-09-19, 15:18
The evidence suggests she made the story up.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/honours-list/11922112/Geoffrey-Boycott-must-be-knighted-after-new-evidence-points-to-his-innocence-over-domestic-abuse-case.html

I'm going to choose to ignore this because it doesn't fit in with my argument

qccfc
10-09-19, 15:26
We're all allowed an opinion. I don't remember Illingworth getting a knighthood for winning out in Australia back in 1970, nor Gatting in 86. Brearley was captain of England in arguably the greatest series ever back in 1981 without receiving one. Maybe it's a case that they are dished out far more easily today.

Strauss was a very good test match player but will never be remembered as a great. And if he is accepting the glory for the world cup win, than he must also be responsible for the demise of the test team and the feeder county championship.

I truly feel sympathy for him for the tragic loss of his wife, and being left with two young sons. The foundation he has set up is a fantastic memorial, but it's only been in existence for 12 weeks. I really hope it flourishes just like Glen McGraths in Australia. As I said its just my opinion, but I don't think his cricket career warrants a knighthood, when so many better players in previous generations never received one.

I think with his playing record, his work as an administrator, and his charity work came as a favorable package. Also the fact that he is a conservative supporter and was rumored to run as a candidate for them would have helped the recommendation.

He wasnt my favorite player. He was never a fans favorite. However with all his achievements listed the comment 'Why Andrew Strauss has got one is way beyond my understanding', seems strange.

the other bob wilson
10-09-19, 15:37

If anything, I'd say Strauss' knighthood has more to with what he has done since he stopped playing - if he had retired,gone off to live with his family and barely been heard of again, then I agree that what he did while playing cricket probably doesn't merit such an honour. Then again, I don't think what Geoff Boycott did while playing the game does either. He owes his honour to his transformation into a "national treasure" on TMS, but I'm old enough to have seen the real Boycott in action. Even if he is innocent of the charge of hitting a woman, what I saw one day at Sophia Gardens in the 70s confirmed that there is at least some truth to the legions of stories out there about him being a self centred boor - telling school children to f**k off when you're asked for autograph is not behaviour you'd expect from a Knight of the Realm.

Croesy Blue
10-09-19, 16:00
I'm going to choose to ignore this because it doesn't fit in with my argument

The evidence didn't suggest it at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/may/04/cricket.jonhenley

"The Medical Evidence is damning" Have you seen a photo of her face after it?

Pearcey3
10-09-19, 18:36
Boycott is the most cricketer recall and a bore. Horrible man. Says it all that May thought it appropriate for him to be knighted. Even now when she is longer PM she still manages to **** up.

splott parker
10-09-19, 18:50
Boycott is the most cricketer recall and a bore. Horrible man. Says it all that May thought it appropriate for him to be knighted. Even now when she is longer PM she still manages to **** up.
Not a team player, very ‘me,me,me’. Very often talk in his day that team mates attempted to get him run out to hurry play up. Always came across as an extremely awkward man, I’d imagine he’s had a few barneys in his time.

Pearcey3
10-09-19, 19:02
Not a team player, very ‘me,me,me’. Very often talk in his day that team mates attempted to get him run out to hurry play up. Always came across as an extremely awkward man, I’d imagine he’s had a few barneys in his time.

I missed the word selfish from my post. Deeply unpleasant and self obsessed. Says it all about the emotionally retarded May that she thought it appropriate to honour him.

G rangetown Blue
10-09-19, 19:07
Listening to him on the radio,I have to remind myself that he’s not a comical figure created by some comedian.
He really is an arrogant, self centred, sexist, Yorkshire **** .

Former Labour leader
10-09-19, 19:09
Listening to him on the radio,I have to remind myself that he’s not a comical figure created by some comedian.
He really is an arrogant, self centred, sexist, Yorkshire **** .

Does he remind you of someone?

surge
10-09-19, 19:13

First half that is his job and he's been recognised enough within the sporting community. The second half of that is a really sad story and then him raising a lot of money and awareness for people in need and well deserving of extra recognition.

These awards are so political now, both how you get selected and then for some people declining the option of receiving it, that they should nearly scrap the whole thing and now only give it as a recognition for charity/humanitarian work.

Auntie Andy
10-09-19, 19:15
‘It was 25 years ago, love. I don’t give a toss’: Geoffrey Boycott defends himself over domestic violence conviction.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/geoffrey-boycott-knighthood-domestic-abuse-womens-aid-radio-4-a9098691.html

A knight of the realm mind :facepalm:

splott parker
10-09-19, 19:19
‘It was 25 years ago, love. I don’t give a toss’: Geoffrey Boycott defends himself over domestic violence conviction.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/geoffrey-boycott-knighthood-domestic-abuse-womens-aid-radio-4-a9098691.html

There’ll be princes knocking about with paedophiles next.........oh, hang on.

G rangetown Blue
10-09-19, 19:19
Does he remind you of someone?

Ohhhhh yeah !!!

Now you mention it.

Great spot!

jeepster
10-09-19, 19:38
I missed the word selfish from my post. Deeply unpleasant and self obsessed. Says it all about the emotionally retarded May that she thought it appropriate to honour him.

And Piers Morgan is up is bum as well.

Joe Gillis
10-09-19, 19:42
Yes... No.... Sorry!

Eric the Half a Bee
10-09-19, 19:44
https://youtu.be/iPIjT-zdryY

Love this!

valley boy
10-09-19, 19:59
Sounds like most of Wales with its Man U and Liverpool associations

my thoughts exactly.:thumbup:

Pearcey3
10-09-19, 20:45
And Piers Morgan is up is bum as well.

No surprise. Morgan is a prick.

cyril evans awaydays
10-09-19, 21:16
https://youtu.be/iPIjT-zdryY

Love this!

"Done me like a 'kipper". Can't argue with that!

NYCBlue
11-09-19, 00:08
Got some kind of award from theresa may

Fecker was born in Barnsley yet supports Man United

What a proud Yorkshireman

What a ****

I find that genuinely shocking. Is this common knowledge?

life on mars
11-09-19, 00:33

Indeed its an anti Tory rant bugger all to do with knighthoods .

They should look at Corbyns appointment of Shami Chakrabarti as a baroness straight after her astonining anti semtism Labour party enquiry.

lardy
11-09-19, 01:53

They should look at Corbyns appointment of Shami Chakrabarti as a baroness straight after her astonining anti semtism Labour party enquiry.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you life on mars. The guy who doesn't like 'political pointscoring'

(When other people do it)

the other bob wilson
11-09-19, 04:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAeFm22xB7Q

jon1959
11-09-19, 07:46

Astonishing in it's speed, depth and thoroughness? Yes I thought so too.

Boycott is a boorish, loud idiot - and a hero of Theresa May, maybe because they share a few character traits.

The 'honour' that annoyed me more was making John Mann a lord - but again no surprise that the Tories would reward him.

The whole honours system should be ripped up. It has always been abused and used for political purposes - usually to promote friends and donors of the ruling elite - with a few scraps thrown to charity workers and lollipop women/men.

But the titles come with so much offensive baggage I would rather some new system of public recognition for exceptional service or contribution to society started from scratch. Time for this country (and others) to grow up and consign monarchs, peers, knights and dames, and holders of medals banging on about the British Empire to the history books!

CardiffIrish2
11-09-19, 08:52

Another example of your confirmation bias that you’ve had a pop at Corbyn on a thread when we’re discussing the morality of a man given a knighthood who’s been convicted of a violent offence against a woman.

rudy gestede
11-09-19, 09:22

Says he voted bexit because a French court found him guilty of punching his mrs in the face 20 times. Probably would have been easier to just not beat his girlfriend really.

delmbox
11-09-19, 09:34
The evidence didn't suggest it at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/may/04/cricket.jonhenley

"The Medical Evidence is damning" Have you seen a photo of her face after it?

My argument is back on track

B. Oddie
11-09-19, 10:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F3n80V_sb0

Sound advice. :thumbup:

lardy
11-09-19, 10:38

It took him five hours with a break for lunch.

#oldjokeshome

A Quiet Monkfish
11-09-19, 11:37

Boycott is a boorish, loud idiot - and a hero of Theresa May, maybe because they share a few character traits.

The 'honour' that annoyed me more was making John Mann a lord - but again no surprise that the Tories would reward him.

The whole honours system should be ripped up. It has always been abused and used for political purposes - usually to promote friends and donors of the ruling elite - with a few scraps thrown to charity workers and lollipop women/men.

But the titles come with so much offensive baggage I would rather some new system of public recognition for exceptional service or contribution to society started from scratch. Time for this country (and others) to grow up and consign monarchs, peers, knights and dames, and holders of medals banging on about the British Empire to the history books!

Theresa May boorish, loud, ?? Let's face it you've got a big chip on your shoulder..

jon1959
11-09-19, 12:01
Theresa May boorish, loud, ?? Let's face it you've got a big chip on your shoulder..

Those weren't the character traits I was thought they shared. But wooden, lacking empathy, and any number of other ones... yes.

What chip on my shoulder? A lifelong grievance against Tories (blue ones, yellow ones, celebrity ones and John Mann) and all they represent? If that's what you're trying to suggest then yes.

kendoddsdadsdogsdead
11-09-19, 14:00
Says he voted bexit because a French court found him guilty of punching his mrs in the face 20 times. Probably would have been easier to just not beat his girlfriend really.

.. bloke's a ****

life on mars
11-09-19, 19:04
My argument is back on track

Were there photo's back in those days , and media reports , police evidence photographs , like to see see the impact of someone being hit 20 times by a fit sportsman .

If I slapped someone about 20 times they would would be hospitalized and very a badly cut ,bleeding ,swellings .

Ms Moore, who ran a computer consultancy in Monaco , is a tax free haven with a certain type of folk , just saying , ????/

cyril evans awaydays
11-09-19, 19:12
Were there photo's back in those days , and media reports , police evidence photographs , like to see see the impact of someone being hit 20 times by a fit sportsman .

If I slapped someone about 20 times they would would be hospitalized and very a badly cut ,bleeding ,swellings .

Ms Moore, who ran a computer consultancy in Monaco , is a tax free haven with a certain type of folk , just saying , ????/

Possibly your most bizarre post. You seem to be suggesting that this was some kind of scam by some floozie on a get rich quick trip and if you had slapped her around rather than Boycott she would have stayed slapped. Apparently the French police and appeal court didn't share your innuendo but that's bloody foreign justice I suppose.

life on mars
11-09-19, 19:18
Possibly your most bizarre post. You seem to be suggesting that this was some kind of scam by some floozie on a get rich quick trip and if you had slapped her around rather than Boycott she would have stayed slapped. Apparently the French police and appeal court didn't share your innuendo but that's bloody foreign justice I suppose.

I really dont know, I'm just don't get the lack of pictorial evidence ,hospitalized reports ,being struck 20 times by a man is a serous bodily attack , surly that would have left so much damage to the lady in question ,and if produced would have nailed him forever , and never allowed back in an appeal , I just understand it ,it correct there was a row , just think the overall accusation is a bit smelly and exaggerated ??????????

Heisenberg
11-09-19, 21:37
I really dont know, I'm just don't get the lack of pictorial evidence ,hospitalized reports ,being struck 20 times by a man is a serous bodily attack , surly that would have left so much damage to the lady in question ,and if produced would have nailed him forever , and never allowed back in an appeal , I just understand it ,it correct there was a row , just think the overall accusation is a bit smelly and exaggerated ??????????

Strange hill to want to die on.

life on mars
11-09-19, 22:15
Geoffrey Boycott’s self-absorption has always kept him close to controversy

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/sep/11/geoffrey-boycott-self-absorption-controversy-knighthood-cricket?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

life on mars
11-09-19, 22:17
Strange hill to want to die on.

Lets not get cross about it

lardy
12-09-19, 00:08

Just saying what? That despite being rich, she made it up to get more money?

I sometimes wonder if you're a bot. Illogical arguments, terrible writing. The clues are there.

az city
12-09-19, 00:52

I was making a mental list of the things I hate about Britain the other day and the honours system is definitely one of them. Mostly it lauds the already fabulously rich and/or famous for doing their job. It's also incredibly condescending - Lilly the lollipop lady who's done 50 years get some minor gong (the queen's used teabag medal) while cabinet office apparatchiks get access to lordly power. Load of bollocks.

delmbox
12-09-19, 11:29

I've been mulling this over for a while and I've finally come to the definitive conclusion that David Bowie would not like you

Croesy Blue
12-09-19, 11:51

Here is the evidence:

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article19915524.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_PROD-Margaret-Moore.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/01/09/24654F7500000578-0-image-m-30_1420767539523.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/210000/images/_211614_mis_moore_with_bruises_150.jpg

Taunton Blue Genie
12-09-19, 11:58
I was making a mental list of the things I hate about Britain the other day and the honours system is definitely one of them. Mostly it lauds the already fabulously rich and/or famous for doing their job. It's also incredibly condescending - Lilly the lollipop lady who's done 50 years get some minor gong (the queen's used teabag medal) while cabinet office apparatchiks get access to lordly power. Load of bollocks.

The Royal Family, The House of Lords, The Honours System are all antidemocratic and lend themselves to croneyism, retention of privelege and a lot of other ills that are a hangover of a very class-based society.

Croesy Blue
12-09-19, 12:06
The Royal Family, The House of Lords, The Honours System are all antidemocratic and lend themselves to croneyism, retention of privelege and a lot of other ills that are a hangover of a very class-based society.

Agreed 100% :thumbup: