PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Cardiff boy snapped up by Swansea

The Hooded Claw
15-11-19, 10:18
For the love of god, a Llandaff North boy should be a Bluebird.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/introducing-cabango-brothers-super-talented-17245471

Bald Barry Bastad
15-11-19, 11:11
It is a pisstake isn't it. How crap is our academy system. No players bought through is bad enough but missing good players on our doorstep. FFS useless.

the other bob wilson
15-11-19, 11:15
The more things like this happen, along with what must surely be a growing perception that Cardiff is not a place where young players are given a chance at senior level, the more likely it becomes that there will be plenty more to follow.

Bald Barry Bastad
15-11-19, 11:22
The more things like this happen, along with what must surely be a growing perception that Cardiff is not a place where young players are given a chance at senior level, the more likely it becomes that there will be plenty more to follow.

Very true. I know a promising player in the under 17's who has every chance of making it. His dad was keen to move him out of the club because he didn't see the point of him being there. Warnock going may have changed his mind.

Eric the Half a Bee
15-11-19, 11:26
Very true. I know a promising player in the under 17's who has every chance of making it. His dad was keen to move him out of the club because he didn't see the point of him being there. Warnock going may have changed his mind.

How much does our board and owner value having an academy and bringing young players through?

Steve the Tea
15-11-19, 11:43

True, Paul. Moreover, until Tan opens the purse strings and he invests in a Category 1 Academy we'll always be up against it.

StT.
<><

dembethewarrior
15-11-19, 11:56
True, Paul. Moreover, until Tan opens the purse strings and he invests in a Category 1 Academy we'll always be up against it.

StT.
<><

“Category One status is extremely hard to achieve and takes real commitment from the club. Any football academies that have this status is a show of the quality of the coaching, equipment, facilities and strategic development that you can expect to find.Category One football academies also invest a lot to maintain their status. There are also some clubs that choose not to publicise their status in order to avoid being over approached by players and parents“

That’s us out.

Jeff Mansfield
15-11-19, 12:08

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/introducing-cabango-brothers-super-talented-17245471

A Cat 1 Academy costs a lot to set up and maintain, but then so do transfers that don't work out not to mention the cost of losing young local talent to rivals. It's gotta be worth it.

Bald Barry Bastad
15-11-19, 12:39
Are Swansea academy one?

The Hooded Claw
15-11-19, 13:09
Are Swansea academy one?

Yep, which makes it all the more shocking that we aren’t.

Since62
15-11-19, 13:28

Despite the Chair of Swansea City being an insolvency practitioner (recently appointed to help them with their financial position) he , and the club`s owners, still considers it to be a good investment and of financial benefit to continue to fund their Academy system. Maybe because of Trevor`s football background he is clear why it is so important.

Tuerto
15-11-19, 14:12
It's no surprise. Young players don't get a sniff, Slade and Warnock weren't interested and then there was the bullying investigation, add to that the way we play. If there was a choice between us and the jacks i'd say that there was no contest. Even if a young player doesn't make the grade at Swansea i'd say that he's coming out of it a better player.

Steve the Tea
15-11-19, 14:14
“Category One status is extremely hard to achieve and takes real commitment from the club. Any football academies that have this status is a show of the quality of the coaching, equipment, facilities and strategic development that you can expect to find.Category One football academies also invest a lot to maintain their status. There are also some clubs that choose not to publicise their status in order to avoid being over approached by players and parents“

That’s us out.

Exactly. That my point, 'demb.' You can't run a club on the cheap these days. You must have long, mid and short term plans and a Cat 1 Academy must be part of that. We've had about 4 or 5 parachute payments by now. Where has it gone?

StT.
<><

dembethewarrior
15-11-19, 14:14
It's no surprise. Young players don't get a sniff, Slade and Warnock weren't interested and then there was the bullying investigation, add to that the way we play. If there was a choice between us and the jacks i'd say that there was no contest. Even if a young player doesn't make the grade at Swansea i'd say that he's coming out of it a better player.
The bullying investigation was a year ago wasn’t it? And it’s been sorted?

Tuerto
15-11-19, 15:16
The bullying investigation was a year ago wasn’t it? And it’s been sorted?

I don't know, my point is that it wouldn't really go in our favour i suppose when young players and parents are weighing up the options.

goats
15-11-19, 16:48
Strange how they don’t produce any home grown talent of their own, do they always just pinch them from other clubs academies like they did with Dan James?

Tuerto
15-11-19, 16:55
Strange how they don’t produce any home grown talent of their own, do they always just pinch them from other clubs academies like they did with Dan James?

Ben Davies, Joe Allen, There fullback (i forget his name) They developed Mc Burnie. I'd say that Davies, Allen and McBurnie has netted them the best part of 30 million, James went for 15 million? Their youth development has saved them. Lets just say that they have an eye for a young player.

Hilts
15-11-19, 20:18
Ben Davies, Joe Allen, There fullback (i forget his name) They developed Mc Burnie. I'd say that Davies, Allen and McBurnie has netted them the best part of 30 million, James went for 15 million? Their youth development has saved them. Lets just say that they have an eye for a young player.

McBurnie was bought from Bradford and had played 1st team football for them.

Tuerto
15-11-19, 20:51
McBurnie was bought from Bradford and had played 1st team football for them.

Fair enough, although they brought in an 18 year old from a league 2 club and turned him into a 15 million pound player. Good scouting.

goats
15-11-19, 20:54
Fair enough, although they brought in an 18 year old from a league 2 club and turned him into a 15 million pound player. Good scouting.

So just joe Allen really, just cause his dad played for them.....not many Swansea boys playing or making it though

Heisenberg
15-11-19, 20:59
So just joe Allen really, just cause his dad played for them.....not many Swansea boys playing or making it though

Ben Davies, Connor Roberts, Joe Rodon... They're all from that area, aren't they?

Maxim
15-11-19, 21:00

His dad never played for Swansea.

The Hooded Claw
15-11-19, 21:28
Interesting comments, but I don’t see us bringing in young players from the lower leagues and turning them into multi million pound players and/or internationals.

Madassa
15-11-19, 21:29
From what I can see this lad joined the Jacks about 10 years ago so don't know what it's got to do with Slade, Warnock or Tan for that matter as he'd only just arrived. But the City Critics Message Board never misses an opportunity for a dig at the club these days 😞

Divine Wright
15-11-19, 21:46
From a Wales point of view, I’m kind of glad that these young footballers go to Swansea as they seem to bring them through and educate in a way that ensures longevity whilst maximising potential. A player in the Cardiff City academy is either so talented that a larger club comes in to take them on to better things or they just fade away.

At CCFC, you don’t get solid professionals that are nurtured with a view to becoming a first team regulars. This probably has something to do with the fact that there is no continuity in football philosophy through the age groups to the reserves and onto the first team.

Tuerto
15-11-19, 21:48
His dad never played for Swansea.

Maybe he's getting mixed up with Joe Allen of the eighties, striker from Newcastle. He must be Joe Allen's dad as he has the same name.

gabbsthenewt
15-11-19, 22:02

How about:-

Joe Ledley
Robert Earnshaw
Chris Gunter
Adam Matthews
Sort of Joe Ralls
James Collins
Simon Haworth
Scott Young
Lee Phillips
Lee Jarman
Lee Baddeley
Lee Skelly
Lee Kendall
Christian Roberts

Tuerto
15-11-19, 22:10
How about:-

Joe Ledley
Robert Earnshaw
Chris Gunter
Adam Matthews
Sort of Joe Ralls
James Collins
Simon Haworth
Scott Young
Lee Phillips
Lee Jarman
Lee Baddeley
Lee Skelly
Lee Kendall
Christian Roberts

There's a bit of barrel scraping going on there if you don't mind me saying.

gabbsthenewt
15-11-19, 22:16
:hehe:

I got a bit taken away by the Lee-s I didn't have time to remember a Mr A Ramsey.

C'mon we're not that bad a prospect for people to send their kids to. The academy is a lot more structured than it ever has been.

insider
15-11-19, 22:19
I blame the parents if my lad came home and wanted to sign for the Kent's he'd be looking for another dad.

Optimistic Nick
15-11-19, 23:07
There's a bit of barrel scraping going on there if you don't mind me saying.

I remember the 1990s too, when our first team was poor enough that our youth setup could produce players who could make the grade.

It's not been good this last decade has it? Matondo left us of course, but what else have we even had a hand in producing?

Tuerto
15-11-19, 23:14
I remember the 1990s too, when our first team was poor enough that our youth setup could produce players who could make the grade.

It's not been good this last decade has it? Matondo left us of course, but what else have we even had a hand in producing?

Callum Paterson, He was 23 when he arrived from hearts, Warnock turned him from a Boy into a Man.

blue matt
15-11-19, 23:30
:hehe:

I got a bit taken away by the Lee-s I didn't have time to remember a Mr A Ramsey.

C'mon we're not that bad a prospect for people to send their kids to. The academy is a lot more structured than it ever has been.

come on, you know the rules, negative posts about the club only :thumbup:

blue matt
15-11-19, 23:32
we as a club since Scam came along have been after the quick fix, the fast promotions, only thinking about the current season, its been boom or bust

bringing on youngsters havent been top of the list of priorities

Eric the Half a Bee
15-11-19, 23:36
Callum Paterson, He was 23 when he arrived from hearts, Warnock turned him from a Boy into a Man.

Was that when he had a broken leg?

Tuerto
15-11-19, 23:49
we as a club since Scam came along have been after the quick fix, the fast promotions, only thinking about the current season, its been boom or bust

bringing on youngsters havent been top of the list of priorities

You've just made a negative post about the club.

the other bob wilson
16-11-19, 01:45
I don't know, my point is that it wouldn't really go in our favour i suppose when young players and parents are weighing up the options.

It has been if you believe Bellamy was the only culprit at the club.

Lawnmower
16-11-19, 07:56
From what I can see this lad joined the Jacks about 10 years ago so don't know what it's got to do with Slade, Warnock or Tan for that matter as he'd only just arrived. But the City Critics Message Board never misses an opportunity for a dig at the club these days 😞

If this is true then the rest of this thread is just dragging up the same old stuff as usual

Lawnmower
16-11-19, 07:57
If this is true then the rest of this thread is just dragging up the same old stuff as usual

Plus a totally misleading headline.

Allez Allez Allez
16-11-19, 08:51
How much does our board and owner value having an academy and bringing young players through?

You think there's a long term strategy in place here? :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::h ehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

billy.ronson
16-11-19, 09:23
Palace chairman was on radio 5 the other Sunday talking about their £20 million investment purchasing land and upgrading their academy.
Once in place, the club will apply to step up to category #1 to play the better academies. This was to ensure they continued to discover the young talent in South London such as Zara and Wan Bissaka .

City123
16-11-19, 11:58
It isn't true

I went to school with Ben and he was at Newport for a while, didn't join Swansea until he was around 14/15

Lawnmower
16-11-19, 12:31
It isn't true

I went to school with Ben and he was at Newport for a while, didn't join Swansea until he was around 14/15

So he was originally picked up by Newport and then poached by Swansea as they gave a Cat 1, thanks to 7 seasons in the prem.

Not saying our youth set up is faultless but can’t see what City could have done about that.

He did however develop his game in the Welsh League last season with TNS, something which we are doing with 3-4 players this season with lots of criticism from fans on this board.

thehumblegringo
16-11-19, 13:05
So he was originally picked up by Newport and then poached by Swansea as they gave a Cat 1, thanks to 7 seasons in the prem.

Not saying our youth set up is faultless but can’t see what City could have done about that.

He did however develop his game in the Welsh League last season with TNS, something which we are doing with 3-4 players this season with lots of criticism from fans on this board.

He was on trial 2 or 3 times at Cardiff when he was 14/15

Lawnmower
16-11-19, 14:09

Whilst he was with Newport ?

thehumblegringo
16-11-19, 14:15
Whilst he was with Newport ?

I'm not sure. Probably cos Newport weren't officially in the academy system so they could take him off them for free.

He was deemed to small I believe!

Lawnmower
16-11-19, 15:00
I'm not sure. Probably cos Newport weren't officially in the academy system so they could take him off them for free.

He was deemed to small I believe!

According to google he was with County then and Swansea took him from there.

He was at County from under-13 to under-15

He would have moved to Swansea when they were a Prem club and we were struggling in the Champ if my maths are right.

I guess only the lad himself would know the full story, but we take on hundreds of kids here, can’t take them all and it’s just as likely that we took on players who were better at the time and didn’t develop them.

If what I’ve read/ remember is right around that time Swansea nicked a load of our coaches too.

thehumblegringo
16-11-19, 15:23
According to google he was with County then and Swansea took him from there.

He was at County from under-13 to under-15

He would have moved to Swansea when they were a Prem club and we were struggling in the Champ if my maths are right.

I guess only the lad himself would know the full story, but we take on hundreds of kids here, can’t take them all and it’s just as likely that we took on players who were better at the time and didn’t develop them.

If what I’ve read/ remember is right around that time Swansea nicked a load of our coaches too.

I've just phoned someone to get some more details. He played in three trial games at u14 when Cardiff requested for the best lads from different areas to play in front of them and to see who caught their eye.

He also played for Cardiff schools so Cardiff were very aware of the lad.

They deemed he wasn't technically good enough.

Newport signed him and the played Swansea and Swansea liked him.

Swansea had him for free off Newport in an agreement where players would go to Newport from Swansea on loan or what not.

Ianto13
16-11-19, 23:31

Tom Lockyer was kicked out of our Academy at 16 because he was too small, he is now a Welsh International!

dembethewarrior
17-11-19, 02:56
Tom Lockyer was kicked out of our Academy at 16 because he was too small, he is now a Welsh International!

Plenty of league 1 players play international football.

Lawnmower
17-11-19, 10:55
I've just phoned someone to get some more details. He played in three trial games at u14 when Cardiff requested for the best lads from different areas to play in front of them and to see who caught their eye.

He also played for Cardiff schools so Cardiff were very aware of the lad.

They deemed he wasn't technically good enough.

Newport signed him and the played Swansea and Swansea liked him.

Swansea had him for free off Newport in an agreement where players would go to Newport from Swansea on loan or what not.

Cheers for clearing that up so at the time he wasn’t deemed good enough.

It happens, from what you say there he was either trialled before going to Newport or whilst he was there. I guess before , so he may even have been 12 then as he played for Newport under 13.

Kids develop and change, no one can predict the future.

Adam Matthews came the other way , IIRC after Swansea binned him when he got injured.

So far there hasn’t been a player we let go who’s done much. Regain Poole was supposed to be the big loss but he’s done less than Rhys Healey.

Sounds like our current youth sides are doing OK with 5 under 19s in the 17 man squad yesterday who beat Poland 3-0 and drew 2-2 v Russia, so maybe we will see something from those.

Anyone know How Sion Spence is getting on as he wasn’t involved.

IMHO it’s probably more about how the players are developed and also the way the 1st team operates ( always facing a short term issue., chasing promotion or relegation) with managers who can’t afford to gamble.

With Swansea they have a longer term plan there where they have developed players to play a certain way for many years.
They have also been able to poach lots of players from other clubs due to 7 years in the prem which will pay off for years.

If they don’t go back up in the next 2 years then their parachute money will be gone and they will have a big decision to make.

I can’t see us going for Cat 1 unless we can get up and stay up.

Catch 22

goats
27-11-19, 06:44
Cheers for clearing that up so at the time he wasn’t deemed good enough.

It happens, from what you say there he was either trialled before going to Newport or whilst he was there. I guess before , so he may even have been 12 then as he played for Newport under 13.

Kids develop and change, no one can predict the future.

Adam Matthews came the other way , IIRC after Swansea binned him when he got injured.

So far there hasn’t been a player we let go who’s done much. Regain Poole was supposed to be the big loss but he’s done less than Rhys Healey.

Sounds like our current youth sides are doing OK with 5 under 19s in the 17 man squad yesterday who beat Poland 3-0 and drew 2-2 v Russia, so maybe we will see something from those.

Anyone know How Sion Spence is getting on as he wasn’t involved.

IMHO it’s probably more about how the players are developed and also the way the 1st team operates ( always facing a short term issue., chasing promotion or relegation) with managers who can’t afford to gamble.

With Swansea they have a longer term plan there where they have developed players to play a certain way for many years.
They have also been able to poach lots of players from other clubs due to 7 years in the prem which will pay off for years.

If they don’t go back up in the next 2 years then their parachute money will be gone and they will have a big decision to make.

I can’t see us going for Cat 1 unless we can get up and stay up.

Catch 22

Shame really, costs less than a madine or a glatzel to run I’m sure....I thought Tan would be all over this, we all know how much he loves agents after all.....strange

Bald Barry Bastad
27-11-19, 12:30
At the end of the day we've bought no one through worthwhile since Ramsey. Over 10 years ago! That tells you all you need to know how useless our academy system is.

Ianto13
27-11-19, 19:25
Plenty of league 1 players play international football.

He plays in the Championship with Charlton? He went to Bristol Rovers when we kicked him out for being too small? I wonder how long Daniel James would have lasted?

surge
27-11-19, 19:55
Just a thought, if Swansea are going to be the youth academy of Wales (not a bad thing), and considering how football has become youth obsessed recently, then I'd be quite happy for City to focus on becoming the modern day Sam Allardyce's Bolton Wanders equivalent and reinvent or reinvorgate older Welsh players. For example, Sam Vokes' career looks to be stalling but he's still got a big role to play if can recapture form of 2015-2017 and at 30 he's old given average age of some teams but hardly as limited as a striker aged 35-37.

dembethewarrior
27-11-19, 20:10
He plays in the Championship with Charlton? He went to Bristol Rovers when we kicked him out for being too small? I wonder how long Daniel James would have lasted?

Yeah I noticed at the weekend, didn’t realise he’d moved on.

surge
27-11-19, 20:16
Just a thought, if Swansea are going to be the youth academy of Wales (not a bad thing), and considering how football has become youth obsessed recently, then I'd be quite happy for City to focus on becoming the modern day Sam Allardyce's Bolton Wanders equivalent and reinvent or reinvorgate older Welsh players. For example, Sam Vokes' career looks to be stalling but he's still got a big role to play if can recapture form of 2015-2017 and at 30 he's old given average age of some teams but hardly as limited as a striker aged 35-37.

Basically looking forward to Bale and Gunter returning soon.