PDA

View Full Version : Gary Madine leaves CCFC

Michael Morris
09-01-20, 16:35
By mutual consent.

Heisenberg
09-01-20, 16:40
Great news. dml can now slag him off without compromising his loyalty to the club.

City123
09-01-20, 16:42
Great way to spend £6m

Croesy Blue
09-01-20, 16:42
**** me, paying £6 million for someone then giving them away for free! Are we the only club that consistently does this?

Jursset_BrisCity
09-01-20, 16:43
Gary Madine, Goal machine.

City123
09-01-20, 16:43
**** me, paying £6 million for someone then giving them away for free! Are we the only club that consistently does this?
Yes

Llandaff Blue
09-01-20, 16:44
Thanks for the memories Gary

City123
09-01-20, 16:44
Spend £6m on him only for him not to score for us before releasing him on a free

How long did Tan go on about Cornelius for?

Croesy Blue
09-01-20, 16:49
I said when we bought him he wasn't good enough for us, how can I see that but a professional football club can't and spend £6 million on him. Warnock wasted more money than Malky ever did.

Croesy Blue
09-01-20, 16:50
Can't wait until the first mention of assist against Sheffield United.

WJ99mobile
09-01-20, 16:53
Am I missing something. He was our second best striking option even if he didn’t score any goals

Totally baffled

Hilts
09-01-20, 16:54
The assist v Sheff Utd makes it all worth it. May not have got promoted without it.😂

Optimistic Nick
09-01-20, 16:56
Bizarre.

So for those who were wondering what we might get for him: now you know.

That will cement his place in Cardiff City folklore then as, statistically, our worst ever striker.

Croesy Blue
09-01-20, 17:00
Am I missing something. He was our second best striking option even if he didn’t score any goals

Totally baffled

He can't do anything, he offers nothing. I'd put pattersson up front before him.

Heisenberg
09-01-20, 17:01

Totally baffled

How is that possible? Ward and Glatzel at least score for us on occasion, so they're above him. Bogle has at least looked like he could score a goal for us (and has hit the back of the net this season) so he's above him. Paterson is a better shout as a striker than Madine. Vassell has been injured for pretty much the entirety of the season and has still contributed more than Madine has in his 2 years here... so he's above him too.

£6m down the drain. How they didn't at least try to get a nominal fee for him baffles me. It's starting to reek of the Slade era a bit too much now.

LeningradCowboy
09-01-20, 17:01
18 months left on his contract. I wonder how much we've paid him to leave the club.

198bore
09-01-20, 17:02
I was about to type that he's the worst value for money signing in the clubs history...
and then I remembered...
Cornelius!

life on mars
09-01-20, 17:02
Wow that a shock , I can only think its a wage saving thing ?

Maybe he paid us ?

Croesy Blue
09-01-20, 17:03
I was about to type that he's the worst value for money signing in the clubs history...
and then I remembered...
Cornelius!

Cornelius is a better footballer than Madine though. Madine has never consistently scored above League 1 level.

LeningradCowboy
09-01-20, 17:03
I bet he scores against us for his new club.

dembethewarrior
09-01-20, 17:04
He came, it didn’t work out, he’s gone.

Was expensive, and I almost thought NH was going to keep him.

Pointless slagging the bloke off.

Tuerto
09-01-20, 17:04
Spend £6m on him only for him not to score for us before releasing him on a free

No doubt we'd have paid up a fair chunk of his contract (rightly so) for him to do one. Absolute catastrophic bit of business. He is shit, how the hell did we end up paying 6 million for a player who didn't show anything while he was here, Tan needs to go through Warnock's work phone...

City123
09-01-20, 17:05
and then I remembered...
Cornelius!
We at least managed to sell Cornelius, who would have turned out far better had Tan not used him as a stick to beat Mackay with

Optimistic Nick
09-01-20, 17:06
and then I remembered...
Cornelius!

Pretty sure that the net spend on Madine is far greater than it is on Cornelius. I still think Cornelius was a bigger mistake in many respects because that was a lot of money to waste on a position that was critical to our survival that season and he was never going to be up to it, but there are plenty of good arguments to make about Madine being the worst signing ever, too. When it comes to terrible transfer market activity and awful strikers in particular, we really are spoilt.

Jursset_BrisCity
09-01-20, 17:06
Bizarre.

So for those who were wondering what we might get for him: now you know.

That will cement his place in Cardiff City folklore then as, statistically, our worst ever striker.

Isn’t that a little harsh?
Didn’t you have Frederic Gounongbe.

The guy brought in to fire Cardiff to promotion, didn’t score a single goal in any game and then just completely disappeared?

Surely Madine is better than that?

Enoch Mort
09-01-20, 17:07
So, the Jan 2020 transfer window budget is being spent on paying off sh*te Warnock purchases?

goats
09-01-20, 17:09

Maybe Tan should invest in youth then, he can never find a decent manager, he hates agents and Cardiff/South Wales has plenty of young talent not getting found. No brainer

kendoddsdadsdogsdead
Cornelius is a better footballer than Madine though. Madine has never consistently scored above League 1 level.

..wasnt he with Bolton in the Championship..and scored about 13 goals?

City123

The guy brought in to fire Cardiff to promotion, didn’t score a single goal in any game and then just completely disappeared?

He didn't cost £6m

goats
So, the Jan 2020 transfer window budget is being spent on paying off sh*te Warnock purchases?

Glatzel turn next or the wet fart Murphy

goats
09-01-20, 17:10

Scuffs, Miss hits and a few pelanties

A Quiet Monkfish
09-01-20, 17:12
Pretty sure that the net spend on Madine is far greater than it is on Cornelius. I still think Cornelius was a bigger mistake in many respects because that was a lot of money to waste on a position that was critical to our survival that season and he was never going to be up to it, but there are plenty of good arguments to make about Madine being the worst signing ever, too. When it comes to terrible transfer market activity and awful strikers in particular, we really are spoilt.

..and to add insult to injury Bolton were on the verge of bankruptcy when we went after him. Criminal incompetence.

Optimistic Nick
09-01-20, 17:12

Oh I could easily be wrong, we have curated a truly astonishing collection of dogshit centre forwards after all. But not all of them cost £6m.

Hilts
09-01-20, 17:14
..and to add insult to injury Bolton were on the verge of bankruptcy when we went after him. Criminal incompetence.

Warnock would have paid 10m if they were financially sound.

ToTaL ITK
09-01-20, 17:17
and then I remembered...
Cornelius!

he has turned out ok...we could have zlatan messi and ronaldo here and they'd all be fecking useless and wouldn't score

Heisenberg
09-01-20, 17:17

He didn't cost £6m

He also played about half of the games that Madine did for us.

Optimistic Nick
09-01-20, 17:20

Beginning to wonder if our board, owners, or managers have some sort of peverse fetish that urges them to waste megabucks on crap footballers. Like a sugar daddy for other football clubs. If you drew up a list of professional footballers and asked a monkey to throw a dart at the page and bought whoever it hit, we'd have a better squad than we've amassed through deliberate effort of grown adults that make up our management and scouting network. I have whinged endlessly about the absolute lack of any diligence in valuation of footballers - who is in charge of this process, what is the plan, and why is he/she so miserably incompetent?!

I don't actually dislike Madine, he was borderline helpful at certain points of certain matches and I hope he has a decent career back in the lower divisions. It's hardly his fault he was dragged here by a moron with a chequebook.

Tuerto
09-01-20, 17:23
Beginning to wonder if our board, owners, or managers have some sort of peverse fetish that urges them to waste megabucks on crap footballers. Like a sugar daddy for other football clubs. If you drew up a list of professional footballers and asked a monkey to throw a dart at the page and bought whoever it hit, we'd have a better squad than we've amassed through deliberate effort of grown adults that make up our management and scouting network. I have whinged endlessly about the absolute lack of any diligence in valuation of footballers - who is in charge of this process, what is the plan, and why is he/she so miserably incompetent?!

I don't actually dislike Madine, he was borderline helpful at certain points of certain matches and I hope he has a decent career back in the lower divisions. It's hardly his fault he was dragged here by a moron with a chequebook.

I wonder how much of his contract we had to pay off. He must've been on a couple of quid, 500 grand a year?

Croesy Blue
09-01-20, 17:26

10, mostly pens. That was his one hot streak above league 1.

Delbert
09-01-20, 17:27
Possibly not the last player we’ll have to give away for free. To be fair ‘our Neil’ shouldn’t be held solely responsible for the club’s disastrous transfer business during his time as manager.

A big shout to Neil’s son James and all his pals at Unique Sports Management, Neil’s old friend Glyn Chamberlain who he brought in as Chief Scout and Head of Recruitment, disgraced agent Willie McKay for letting Neil sign both of his super-talented sons and last but not least all the crack talent spotters (VT, Dalman, Ken) forming the CCFC transfer committee. Well done all.

Optimistic Nick
09-01-20, 17:27
I wonder how much of his contract we had to pay off. He must've been on a couple of quid, 500 grand a year?

I've no idea, but google tells me its £12k a week, so more than that, if the internet is to be believed and we assume that we buy out at least half of his remaining term. I am sure he just wants to play football though - you never know, he may have agreed to forego a chunk of it to be allowed to look for a club. There must be something in it for us too otherwise we'd surely have kept him - he was in the starting XI a month ago!

Optimistic Nick
09-01-20, 17:29
Possibly not the last player we’ll have to give away for free. To be fair ‘our Neil’ shouldn’t be held solely responsible for the club’s disastrous transfer business during his time as manager.

A big shout to Neil’s son James and all his pals at Unique Sports Management, Neil’s old friend Glyn Chamberlain who he brought in as Chief Scout and Head of Recruitment, disgraced agent Willie McKay for letting Neil sign both of his super-talented sons and last but not least all the crack talent spotters (VT, Dalman, Ken) forming the CCFC transfer committee. Well done all.

:hehe:

Croesy Blue
09-01-20, 17:29
Must have had such a good contract that we couldn't even give him away. Criminal incompetance

Croesy Blue
09-01-20, 17:30

Bald Barry Bastad
09-01-20, 17:42
Surely somebody would have paid something to take him off our hands? Unbelievable.

ToTaL ITK
09-01-20, 17:44
Surely somebody would have paid something to take him off our hands? Unbelievable.

we'll probably buy him back in the summer for 10 mill

Tuerto
09-01-20, 17:47

It's not even a fire sale, damage limitation, nobody in their right mind is going to stump up more than 500 grand for madine, certainly not in this window either. Add to that between 10 and 15 grand a week for the rest of the season, the club have cut their losses.

Des Parrot
09-01-20, 17:51
Oh I could easily be wrong, we have curated a truly astonishing collection of dogshit centre forwards after all. But not all of them cost £6m.

Nice use of the word "curated". Award yourself an extra Haribo.

Des Parrot
09-01-20, 17:54

Some quality responses in this thread :easy:

the other bob wilson
09-01-20, 17:56
No doubt we'd have paid up a fair chunk of his contract (rightly so) for him to do one. Absolute catastrophic bit of business. He is shit, how the hell did we end up paying 6 million for a player who didn't show anything while he was here, Tan needs to go through Warnock's work phone...

Wonder who Warnock will blame for this? Madine was never a £6 million player and it wasn't his fault we paid that much for him - I'm sure some other clubs cancel the contracts of expensive players at a big financial loss like we do, but don't ask me to name them.

the other bob wilson
09-01-20, 17:58
we'll probably buy him back in the summer for 10 mill

the other bob wilson
09-01-20, 18:00

:hehe: A real team effort.

Michael Morris
09-01-20, 18:01
Going to Sunderland perhaps?

Bald Barry Bastad
09-01-20, 18:13
It's not even a fire sale, damage limitation, nobody in their right mind is going to stump up more than 500 grand for madine, certainly not in this window either. Add to that between 10 and 15 grand a week for the rest of the season, the club have cut their losses.
I don't know. He did ok on loan last season for Sheffield United. Somebody up north world surely be interested in getting him for a cut price million.

Dorcus
09-01-20, 18:29
Absolutely fantastic news. Things are looking up

City123
09-01-20, 18:30
Some of the players we've signed who had no impact before we let them go for nothing

Madine - £6m
Adeyemi - £1m
Le Fondre - £2m
Immers - £2m
Lambert - £1.7m
Maynard - £2.75m
Burgstaller - £1m
Kim - £2m
Berget - £2m
Daehli - £2m
Eikrem - £2m

About £25m spent and nothing in return!

the other bob wilson
09-01-20, 18:35
Some of the players we've signed who had no impact before we let them go for nothing

Madine - £6m
Adeyemi - £1m
Le Fondre - £2m
Immers - £2m
Lambert - £1.7m
Maynard - £2.75m
Burgstaller - £1m
Kim - £2m
Berget - £2m
Daehli - £2m
Eikrem - £2m

And yet it was Malky Mackay who is supposed to have bought rubbish :shrug:.

Freitag 4.17
09-01-20, 18:39

Kimbo was pretty good on occasions TBF.

BlueToujours
09-01-20, 18:41
Burgstaller is doing ok at Schalke.

City123
09-01-20, 18:43
Burgstaller is doing ok at Schalke.
Even more baffling that we released him after 3 league appearances

Wales-Bales
09-01-20, 18:44
Wonder who Warnock will blame for this? Madine was never a £6 million player and it wasn't his fault we paid that much for him - I'm sure some other clubs cancel the contracts of expensive players at a big financial loss like we do, but don't ask me to name them.
Who was his agent?

cardiff55
09-01-20, 18:44

Madine - £6m
Adeyemi - £1m
Le Fondre - £2m
Immers - £2m
Lambert - £1.7m
Maynard - £2.75m
Burgstaller - £1m
Kim - £2m
Berget - £2m
Daehli - £2m
Eikrem - £2m

And Noone.

Moodybluebird
09-01-20, 18:50

Madine - £6m
Adeyemi - £1m
Le Fondre - £2m
Immers - £2m
Lambert - £1.7m
Maynard - £2.75m
Burgstaller - £1m
Kim - £2m
Berget - £2m
Daehli - £2m
Eikrem - £2m

Bit harsh on Kimbo. He was a good footballer who would walk into the current team. Maynard I would classify as more unlucky than anything as he had a very serious injury only a few games into his City career.

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
09-01-20, 18:55
Didn't we get money from Freiburg for Daehli? Good luck to Madine, forever now the albatross weighing Warnock down whenever he graces our TV screens and tries to talk himself up. We were in the top 2 at the time and you don't sign a £6 million striker unless you think he can do the business in the PL. Unless he was signed for the championship and the club was planning our PL relegation in January 2018.

surge
09-01-20, 19:02

Madine's signing may be a symptom but the reason we were so bad in the transfer market was lack of scouting to reduce pool of players we were shopping in, lack of youth development so we were reliant on signings, and being desperate for a buy to complete a good season which meant we were in a weaker negotiating position.

How many of those three things have changed under Harris so far? Unless we use the cash from premier league wisely we'll end up with similar threads in a couple of years, although not for £6million again for some time.

DubaiDai
09-01-20, 19:02

I keep saying it - we have no one at the club with any football knowledge.
Tan and Choo are accountants and Dalman himself is the only person who believes he knows anything about football.
The same issues go round and round and keep happening.
Unfortunately I don’t think Neil Harris has the gravitas to put this right and develop a plan and/or style

Bobby Dandruff
09-01-20, 19:04
By mutual consent.

Worst ever signing? Must be close.

And amazingly SOME people still couldn’t see what was staring us in the face from the very first game.

Dreadful, and a complete waste of time and money.

Bobby Dandruff
09-01-20, 19:08
Can't wait until the first mention of assist against Sheffield United.

Lol!

I was going to say that. ;-)

blue matt
09-01-20, 19:22
Madine's signing may be a symptom but the reason we were so bad in the transfer market was lack of scouting to reduce pool of players we were shopping in, lack of youth development so we were reliant on signings, and being desperate for a buy to complete a good season which meant we were in a weaker negotiating position.

wasnt that pool a rather specific pool of players though ? ? ?

Michael Morris
09-01-20, 19:23
And Noone.

Noone is still playing now, in Australia

Harry Paget Flashman
09-01-20, 19:23
Off to Sunderland.

goats
09-01-20, 19:27
Off to Sunderland.

I’ve seen better footballers at power league than madine

surge
09-01-20, 19:28
Tan and Choo are accountants and Dalman himself is the only person who believes he knows anything about football.
Unfortunately I don’t think Neil Harris has the gravitas to put this right and develop a plan and/or style

According to Wiki, it was May 2010 that Tan became involved in Cardiff City, Dalman was 2012 and Ken Choo was 2014. Considering Dalman and Choo's job is to run a football club then they have had 6+ years to learn about football, Tan their employer being involved in clubs across the world, so really should have some idea. It's not like money hasn't been spent so can't use that excuse.

Tuerto
09-01-20, 19:29
Off to Sunderland.

He's from Gateshead. He'll be on twitter saying how much he hates Newcastle, Gateshead and zebras, just to ingratiate himself with the sunderland fans.

Pedro de la Rosa
09-01-20, 19:34

His Championship signings were unbelievable. Conway, Cowie, Taylor, Earnie, Miller, Gunnar, Mason, Gestede, Turner, Harris, Kiss, Lawrence, Lewis, Kim, Mutch, Bellamy, Connolly, Smith, Noone, Barnett, Campbell and Helguson.

Only misses are Maynard (through injury) and Velikonja.

kendoddsdadsdogsdead
09-01-20, 19:36
Scuffs, Miss hits and a few pelanties

...yeah..ok

Pearcey3
09-01-20, 19:40
All clubs make shocking signings like this. Ours was Sone Aluko. We spent £7 million and gave him a four year contract on big wages. He has been useless. He has been out on loan for that past year and we will doubtless send him out on loan again so it’s not just Cardiff.

BlueToujours
09-01-20, 19:40
His Championship signings were unbelievable. Conway, Cowie, Taylor, Earnie, Miller, Gunnar, Mason, Gestede, Turner, Harris, Kiss, Lawrence, Lewis, Kim, Mutch, Bellamy, Connolly, Smith, Noone, Barnett, Campbell and Helguson.

Only misses are Maynard (through injury) and Velikonja.

I'd lay off Velikonja or you will have Loramski after you!! Anyway, who exactly did sign him? Not sure that it was Malky. More like a Vincent signing.

delmbox
09-01-20, 19:52
Anybody think there's a chance that something happened behind the scenes? An argument or something?

Forest Green Bluebird
09-01-20, 20:00
All clubs make shocking signings like this. Ours was Sone Aluko. We spent £7 million and gave him a four year contract on big wages. He has been useless. He has been out on loan for that past year and we will doubtless send him out on loan again so it’s not just Cardiff.

Maybe Cardiff should offer a few million for this guy.

Pearcey3
09-01-20, 20:28

Yes please.
I checked out Madine’s stats and can’t believe he didn’t ever score for Cardiff. Even Aluko managed to score for us.

Pearcey3
09-01-20, 20:29
Anybody think there's a chance that something happened behind the scenes? An argument or something?

It may have been amicable. Negotiated a pay off to get rid of him without having to pay the full length of his remaining contract.

goats
09-01-20, 20:34

I know I saw a list of the jacks blowing about 80 million somewhere recently, baston for 18 million was it? Ayew 20 million, Clucas 16, there was a few others too

goats
09-01-20, 20:35

Don’t joke

Don Corleone
09-01-20, 20:36
I'm looking forward to buying a "I saw Gary Madine score" badge ..... oh wait....

Croesy Blue
09-01-20, 20:37

Yeah I think someone watch him play football and realised he isn’t a championship footballer in a million years.

Don Corleone
09-01-20, 20:41
I said when we bought him he wasn't good enough for us, how can I see that but a professional football club can't and spend £6 million on him. Warnock wasted more money than Malky ever did.

It's not hindsight but I also said the same at the time. One of my best friends is a Bolton season ticket holder and he said at the time that he couldn't believe we had paid £6mio for Madine - a more realistic fee would have been £1mio, maybe £2mio as he was on a scoring streak at the time but we all knew this was just one of those strange hot spells any useless striker can go through for a short period, he had been pretty useless for a number of seasons before then

Pearcey3
09-01-20, 20:44
I know I saw a list of the jacks blowing about 80 million somewhere recently, baston for 18 million was it? Ayew 20 million, Clucas 16, there was a few others too

Huge fees. However they did get £45 million for Sigurdsson.

binman
09-01-20, 20:47
My abiding memory of Gary Madine when his name arises in future discussions of worst ever City players will be his last appearance for us at CCS (was it Preston) when he came on as sub and as the ball reached him on the by line he put in a beautiful chipped cross supposedly into the penalty area which actually finished 12 rows back in the Canton - It was a feat of shittyness that had not been seen since Josh Low was seen on the wing

Thanks for the memories Gary - there will always be a place for you in top 10 dreadful signings in years to come

bluesp
09-01-20, 21:02
My abiding memory of Gary Madine when his name arises in future discussions of worst ever City players will be his last appearance for us at CCS (was it Preston) when he came on as sub and as the ball reached him on the by line he put in a beautiful chipped cross supposedly into the penalty area which actually finished 12 rows back in the Canton - It was a feat of shittyness that had not been seen since Josh Low was seen on the wing

Thanks for the memories Gary - there will always be a place for you in top 10 dreadful signings in years to come

Don’t you be disrespecting Josh Low!

blue lewj
09-01-20, 21:10

Nail on the head.

Malky got us promoted but I'd hazard a guess anybody on here could have done it. It was like Football Manager with a bucket load of cash.

We struck lucky with Warnock in amongst the dross picked by the board here.

Tan is the money man surrounded by yes men. We have been successful despite our board and not because of it.

It is sadly still continuing now. Then again with a board in place that are unwilling or, more likely, unable to see their shortcomings it isn't going to change any time soon.
Our success is dependant on the manager putting together a strong squad with a heap of cash (Malky) or a shrewd manager who builds a hard to beat team while also frittering away a shed load (Warnock).
Absolutely clueless as a club at board level.

City123
09-01-20, 21:27
He was actually decent when we played Forest, chased and held the ball up well until he missed an open goal by passing it to Hoilett

blue lewj
09-01-20, 21:36
What message does this send out just before the derby too?

A lot of our shithouses might think a shit show against the Jacks and they might be looking at a nice pay off too.

Meanwhile the Jacks are boosting their squad with Premier League squad player loans.

LeningradCowboy
09-01-20, 21:52
He was actually decent when we played Forest, chased and held the ball up well until he missed an open goal by passing it to Hoilett

He started the first four games after Harris arrived and now he's out the door less than two months later.

blue lewj
09-01-20, 22:00
Could we not have at least waited until the end of January to make a decision on this?

It seems hard to believe but we could end the transfer window even worse up top than we started if Bogle jumps ship/is paid off and our notoriously hard working recruitment team once again fail to get transfers across the line.

We'll probably give Peter Crouch a 4 year deal out of retirement on the last day based on his name.

dembethewarrior
09-01-20, 22:04
So much negativity

Think a few people need to take a few days off

Ribeye
09-01-20, 22:09
Maybe just maybe there is a reason to write off 6m.

welshwarrior
09-01-20, 22:24
Glatzel turn next or the wet fart Murphy

I remember Ronnie Moore shirts back in the day saying Ronnie actually scored for us

Jimmy the Jock
09-01-20, 22:40
Maybe just maybe there is a reason to write off 6m.

Sometimes it doesnt work out .

Every club has the same problem .

Probably every forum rants about the failures.

When you have seen it all and then seen it all again , you realise , sometimes the footballer doesn't suit the club, system they play ,
whatever the reason. It just doesn't work out .
In business , which football is , you have to speculate to accumulate.

Look at Eoin Doyle , who would have believed it .......:hehe:

MacAdder
09-01-20, 22:52
I remember Ronnie Moore shirts back in the day saying Ronnie actually scored for us

"I saw Ronnie Moore score" :thumbup:

cardiff55
09-01-20, 23:31
He's probably already got a deal lined up, Sunderland has been mentioned. We would struggle to offload him for a fee, so no doubt we've agreed a pay off of part of his contract so that he is a free agent and can now negotiate a better deal for himself with another club as they don't have to pay a fee. Or we've agreed to top up his wages with his new club for the rest of his contract. I just really wanted to see him score for us, he'll probably make a goalscoring debut for his new club.

NYCBlue
10-01-20, 01:32
He did wear down that team that one time though.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
10-01-20, 04:36

Spot on!

the other bob wilson
10-01-20, 08:46

The biggest blunder Tan and co made was to show absolute trust in Neil Warnock who, in terms of the amount of money spent has to be worse than Mackay, Ole, Slade, Trollope and all of the other managers who get so much stick on here. Strangely, Warnock was great when it came to free transfers/Bosmans, but give him money to spend and all of the good judgement that got us Bamba, Hoilett, Etheridge, Mendez-Laing, Paterson etc. flew out of the window. Warnock was the "football man" that people used to cry out for and look what he left Neil Harris with. We need someone with a foot in both the football and administrative/financial camps who can act as a kind of go between for the manager and the Board - there was talk of a Director of Football type being appointed when Warnock left, but that's died a death now it seems.

Bobby Dandruff
10-01-20, 09:23
The biggest blunder Tan and co made was to show absolute trust in Neil Warnock who, in terms of the amount of money spent has to be worse than Mackay, Ole, Slade, Trollope and all of the other managers who get so much stick on here. Strangely, Warnock was great when it came to free transfers/Bosmans, but give him money to spend and all of the good judgement that got us Bamba, Hoilett, Etheridge, Mendez-Laing, Paterson etc. flew out of the window. Warnock was the "football man" that people used to cry out for and look what he left Neil Harris with. We need someone with a foot in both the football and administrative/financial camps who can act as a kind of go between for the manager and the Board - there was talk of a Director of Football type being appointed when Warnock left, but that's died a death now it seems.

It IS odd that Warnock is clearly a brilliant man manager when it comes to players with seemingly something to prove (see your list above). How he got the team promoted in his second season is quite remarkable when you look back on it now.

And yet his record in the transfer market is so poor. (Insert a long list here starting with Madine, Murphy, BDR, Flint etc)

Is this trait apparent at other clubs that he managed and if so what are the unique characteristics of the players that fall into each of the two groups? Is it as simple as: he can motivate one group (of free transfers and relative journey men footballers) to over achieve and prove people wrong, whereas the other group recognise that he values them, having paid a fee for them, and are therefore not as motivated to prove themselves?

Surely that is too simplistic? 😳 (that said, the pitiful fickleness of lots of professional footballers never cease to amaze me....)

MacAdder
10-01-20, 09:42
It IS odd that Warnock is clearly a brilliant man manager when it comes to players with seemingly something to prove (see your list above). How he got the team promoted in his second season is quite remarkable when you look back on it now.

And yet his record in the transfer market is so poor. (Insert a long list here starting with Madine, Murphy, BDR, Flint etc)

Is this trait apparent at other clubs that he managed and if so what are the unique characteristics of the players that fall into each of the two groups? Is it as simple as: he can motivate one group (of free transfers and relative journey men footballers) to over achieve and prove people wrong, whereas the other group recognise that he values them, having paid a fee for them, and are therefore not as motivated to prove themselves?

Surely that is too simplistic? 😳 (that said, the pitiful fickleness of lots of professional footballers never cease to amaze me....)

There has to be something in this yes.
No doubting the has beens or cast offs have performed under NW.

Most managers if they buy a big named player for a lot of money or on big wages (or both) will give the player more time to bed in or turn things around if things aren't working.
It all then depends on the player concerned whether he wants to give it a go or sulk.

We have seen so many of these players just sit on the bench without busting a gut knowing that they are on a huge wedge.
It isn't about the money to others who need the buzz of performing.

With Madine, I don't think he falls into either of the above though.
Warnock paid a premium for a player, in a limited market it has to be said, to fire us to the prem. We did get to the prem (with his help in "that" game :biggrin:) but, no matter how hard he might try, he is just not good enough.

Gofer Blue
10-01-20, 10:17
"I saw Ronnie Moore score" :thumbup:

I saw Andy Campbell score - and probably the most important goal of his entire career! :thumbup:

Trigger
10-01-20, 10:30
Makes paying the sala fee look value.

Will do the likes of nantes and clubs receiving a sell on well and stop having his name put through the press associated with a money dispute.

Bobby Dandruff
10-01-20, 12:22
I saw Andy Campbell score - and probably the most important goal of his entire career! :thumbup:

This is actually a good case in point: Andy Shambles scored 8 goals in 9 games for us, whilst on loan (or very similar, I think).

Then when we signed him for big money, he went right off the boil - did he have a point to prove whilst on loan, but then lost some motivation when he got the move?

cardiff55
10-01-20, 12:23

Surely that is too simplistic? �� (that said, the pitiful fickleness of lots of professional footballers never cease to amaze me....)

Agree, Warnock's best additions were Hoilett, Etheridge, NML and Bamba, who all cost nothing, and Paterson who was only £425000.

dembethewarrior
10-01-20, 12:33
He's probably already got a deal lined up, Sunderland has been mentioned. We would struggle to offload him for a fee, so no doubt we've agreed a pay off of part of his contract so that he is a free agent and can now negotiate a better deal for himself with another club as they don't have to pay a fee. Or we've agreed to top up his wages with his new club for the rest of his contract. I just really wanted to see him score for us, he'll probably make a goalscoring debut for his new club.

Must be harder mentally the longer it goes on, that pass to Hoilett screams "no confidence".

He could leave here with new surroundings and possibly score earlier in for his new club, taking tons of pressure on.

He wasn't suited to us but that's not his fault, it's Warnock's, who is useless with forwards.

City123
10-01-20, 13:43
He's just trying to open up a new branch of his fight club

goats
10-01-20, 14:44
Agree, Warnock's best additions were Hoilett, Etheridge, NML and Bamba, who all cost nothing, and Paterson who was only £425000.

If we could sell them for 30 million he’d be even.....all managers find a few duffs. I remember frank burrows, he was great finding cheap nuggets but give him cash and you end up with a swinkendorf lol

MacAdder
10-01-20, 15:38

:yikes:
The shirt must have been an XXXXXXXL to get all that on! ;-)

Who knows where we'd be without Campbell's goal.
One of the best days ever watching the City.
"There's a not very private party going on in Cardiff tonight and the locals have invited themselves" :-)

dml1954
10-01-20, 20:02

How was it a blunder to employ a man who got us into the Premier League by spending about £10m, thereby bringing in over £100m in revenue the following season.

splott parker
10-01-20, 20:13
Going to Sunderland perhaps?
Beddau has been mentioned as well!

City123
10-01-20, 20:15
How was it a blunder to employ a man who got us into the Premier League by spending about £10m, thereby bringing in over £100m in revenue the following season.
:hehe: :hehe:

blue matt
10-01-20, 20:42

and what a goal it was, i wonder how many time out of 10 he could have done it again ? ? ? not many i guess

Bobby Dandruff
10-01-20, 21:37
and what a goal it was, i wonder how many time out of 10 he could have done it again ? ? ? not many i guess

It doesn’t matter. He did it when it mattered the most so I think that we can all forgive the rest of his indifferent time at the club :-)

Optimistic Nick
10-01-20, 22:05
It doesn’t matter. He did it when it mattered the most so I think that we can all forgive the rest of his indifferent time at the club :-)
He was very good for a long time- picked ahead of earnie and for good reason. He was out of form by the time that qpr game came around but he was a class act for quite a bit of his time with us

the other bob wilson
11-01-20, 08:33
:hehe: :hehe:

It's pitiful isn't it.

the other bob wilson
11-01-20, 08:52

Surely that is too simplistic? �� (that said, the pitiful fickleness of lots of professional footballers never cease to amaze me....)

I've not researched this at all, but it seems to me that, even if you allow for transfer fee inflation, Warnock was given far more to spend at Cardiff than he had at his other clubs. One of my main criticisms of Warnock before he got QPR promoted was that he always produced the same type of teams and I was of the opinion that, even if he was given a big budget at a club, he would still put together a side that churned out the sort of stuff that he had a reputation for.

I changed my mind when I saw the Taarabt inspired QPR go up as champions, but I should have noted that he subsequently said he had broken the habits of a life time to build a side around a player like Taarabt and it was something he would not do again. City became that club which gave Neil Warnock the big transfer budget and he used it to put together a team in his own image which lacked the spirit, camaraderie and belief that his better teams had used to great advantage (e.g. our 17/18 side).

It was not as if Warnock would not sign technically good players when he was given the means to bring better quality in, more that he couldn't bring himself to trust them - he seemed happier to stick with the more expensive grafters he had signed and it's possible that these would not buy into the Warnock mindset as readily as the more "grounded" players he was used to working with did.

I'd also say that there was a possibility that some players who were at the club for the duration of Warnock's time here may have become bored with the restrictive way in which we played.

Whatever the reasons, the motivator was unable to work his magic this season, in fact, given the way we start games the side has looked demotivated if anything. The spirit which Warnock himself spoke about as a strength of his sides has been conspicuously absent, in fact, I'd say we look more like a team with problems in the dressing room and it doesn't seem to have got much better under Neil Harris.

A Quiet Monkfish
11-01-20, 09:22
I've not researched this at all, but it seems to me that, even if you allow for transfer fee inflation, Warnock was given far more to spend at Cardiff than he had at his other clubs. One of my main criticisms of Warnock before he got QPR promoted was that he always produced the same type of teams and I was of the opinion that, even if he was given a big budget at a club, he would still put together a side that churned out the sort of stuff that he had a reputation for.

I changed my mind when I saw the Taarabt inspired QPR go up as champions, but I should have noted that he subsequently said he had broken the habits of a life time to build a side around a player like Taarabt and it was something he would not do again. City became that club which gave Neil Warnock the big transfer budget and he used it to put together a team in his own image which lacked the spirit, camaraderie and belief that his better teams had used to great advantage (e.g. our 17/18 side).

It was not as if Warnock would not sign technically good players when he was given the means to bring better quality in, more that he couldn't bring himself to trust them - he seemed happier to stick with the more expensive grafters he had signed and it's possible that these would not buy into the Warnock mindset as readily as the more "grounded" players he was used to working with did.

I'd also say that there was a possibility that some players who were at the club for the duration of Warnock's time here may have become bored with the restrictive way in which we played.

Whatever the reasons, the motivator was unable to work his magic this season, in fact, given the way we start games the side has looked demotivated if anything. The spirit which Warnock himself spoke about as a strength of his sides has been conspicuously absent, in fact, I'd say we look more like a team with problems in the dressing room and it doesn't seem to have got much better under Neil Harris.

I think Warnock became mentally lazy 2nd time round. He'd already signaled he'd leave if the City weren't pushing for a top 6, and I think he didn't really put his heart into the transfer dealings - more a case of 'if they come off, fine, if they don't I'm off..".

The rest is history so-to-speak, but footballers aren't stupid when it comes to football matters. They know they aren't good enough, and must be frustrated week in week out what equates to playing sides who are miles better in terms of football ability. The odd win/draw is good for morale, but if/when the play off dream fades I suspect there will be a massive tailing off in form and results..

Mr Soul '68
11-01-20, 10:37
This is actually a good case in point: Andy Shambles scored 8 goals in 9 games for us, whilst on loan (or very similar, I think).

Then when we signed him for big money, he went right off the boil - did he have a point to prove whilst on loan, but then lost some motivation when he got the move?

I'm sure five of those eight goals were scored in one game? Away v Oldham and we won 6-1. Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Rock_Flock_of_Five
11-01-20, 10:39
I'm sure five of those eight goals were scored in one game? Away v Oldham and we won 6-1. Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Wasn't it something ridiculous like 1-7, with Campbell scoring 5?