PDA

View Full Version : What's the best documentary you have ever seen ?

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-03-20, 00:24
That one Jon pilger did on the killing fields , christ it was grim but compelling

J R Hartley
07-03-20, 00:34
Devil next door on Netflix is a good one.

Making a Murderer has to be seen to be believed too.

insider
07-03-20, 07:11
The Office

Baloo
07-03-20, 07:15
I like most of Louis Theroux’s.

Taunton Blue Genie
07-03-20, 07:58
The Storyville slot on BBC Four / BBC iPlayer is terrific. It features documentaries from all around the world.

A particularly good one that I watched last year (3 episodes, each being one-hour long) was about a highly-acclaimed Italian surgeon employed by a pioneering hospital in Finland. It was called 'The Downfall of A Super-Surgeon'.

A combination of charm, kudos and a sense of invincibility meant that he was killing people in a project that wasn't working i.e. building new tracheas by grafting stem cells on a man-made tubular structure - and by remove the patients' original tracheas and which resulted in the patients (some of whom were interviewed) dying when the new implants failed (and many of the patients weren't in danger of dying in the first place). The surgeon in question seemed to be less than honest and analytical regarding the overwhelming failure rate and his employers were loath to challenge him. The intriguing thing was that the surgeon was being filmed and interviewed (in English by a Swedish journalist) as part of a more conventional documentary at first. Only part of the way in does the journalist realise that something more is involved.

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-03-20, 08:34
Paradise Lost , The West Memphis Three

Three young boys murdered and sexually mutilated , three local teenagers are arrested

One has special educational needs , one is very shy , one is a bit of a metal head , dresses in black etc

It's basically a complete fit up by the bigoted local police , and the whole documentary is an analysis of the backward culture of the bible belt culture that is ingrained in law enforcement , the local community and ultimately the criminal justice system

The film is three hours long and covers the police first finding the bodies , which is extremely graphic and distressing , through the arrest of the young men on no evidence apart from they were on the edge of society , through the trial , the conviction of the young men and the subsequent battle by educated local people who know these young men had been framed and wrongly convicted of ritual sadistic murder by a corrupt police , and local jury

A follow up was made a few years later

The campaign group never stopped in their fight to release the convicted young men

This all began in the mid 1990s

They were finally released from prison , as grown men , in their late thirties , a few years ago

Its compelling viewing and it's very clear who the murderer is from very early in the film

I wont give anything else away but I am amazed he hasn't been put on trial since the innocent mens release

They have lost twenty years of their lives

All because of a twisted criminal investigation and deep south bigotry

A total fit up

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-03-20, 08:36
The Storyville slot on BBC Four / BBC iPlayer is terrific. It features documentaries from all around the world.

A particularly good one that I watched last year (3 episodes, each being one-hour long) was about a highly-acclaimed Italian surgeon employed by a pioneering hospital in Finland. It was called 'The Downfall of A Super-Surgeon'.

A combination of charm, kudos and a sense of invincibility meant that he was killing people in a project that wasn't working i.e. building new tracheas by grafting stem cells on a man-made tubular structure - and by remove the patients' original tracheas and which resulted in the patients (some of whom were interviewed) dying when the new implants failed (and many of the patients weren't in danger of dying in the first place). The surgeon in question seemed to be less than honest and analytical regarding the overwhelming failure rate and his employers were loath to challenge him. The intriguing thing was that the surgeon was being filmed and interviewed (in English by a Swedish journalist) as part of a more conventional documentary at first. Only part of the way in does the journalist realise that something more is involved.

Sounds scary

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-03-20, 08:39
Death On The Staircase

A successful author is arrested after his wife is found with fatal injuries at the bottom of the stairs

Story of the police investigation and the cameras also follow him and his family and his wifes family around up to the verdict

Edge of your seat stuff

Disco Des
07-03-20, 09:15
Ken Burns Vietnam War, watched it twice all the way through. What a completely pointless waste of life on both sides.

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-03-20, 09:31
Ken Burns Vietnam War, watched it twice all the way through. What a completely pointless waste of life on both sides.

Ain't that the truth

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-03-20, 09:36
Devil next door on Netflix is a good one.

Making a Murderer has to be seen to be believed too.

Remember that Cleveland bloke , havnt seen making of a murderer , will take a peek

welshyoot
07-03-20, 09:47
I watched city 40 recently about a closed city in Russia. Had no idea these even existed. It's a good watch.

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-03-20, 10:00
I watched city 40 recently about a closed city in Russia. Had no idea these even existed. It's a good watch.

Will check it out

bobh
07-03-20, 10:38
The World at War, narrated by Sir Larry O.

City123
07-03-20, 11:09
Inside Job about the 2008 financial crisis

Dorcus
07-03-20, 11:15
There's so many it would take me almost forever to list them: I'm a documentary junkie so I watch a lot of them. However, a random one for anyone who hasn't seen it; Orion, the singer in the mask who was a sort of Elvis tribute with a voice which was uncannily similar. Fascinating!!!

BLUETIT
07-03-20, 11:47
DARK LEGACY, always springs to mind.

The killing of JFK.

NYCBlue
07-03-20, 12:06
Ken Burns - Baseball

Cleve van Leef
07-03-20, 12:24
The World At War.

The Rev Arthur Belling
07-03-20, 12:42
The Nazis A Warning From History, brilliantly produced series.

Enoch Mort
07-03-20, 12:55
I remember seeing a documentary called All My Loving by the director Tony Palmer circa 1970. All the great music of the time set against a background of the Vietnam War - pretty horrific.

Hilts
07-03-20, 12:57
Twin Town.

chris lee
07-03-20, 12:58
Who killed the electric car,

this is great shows how a small wing of General motors released an electric car in 1997, which was really good and popular, the big wigs within the company shit themselves, recalled the cars and crushed them all, before investing millions into anti electric lobby groups.

Zowhore
07-03-20, 13:01
Blackfish, a documentary about the Killer Whales in sea world

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-03-20, 13:06
Blackfish, a documentary about the Killer Whales in sea world

That's fantastic , poor animal went off his head

Many SeaWorld have been shut down since

But you still see stupid dumb brits on holiday with their kids having pictures taken with dolphins that are basically slaves kept captive for human entertainment and greed

These animals should be in the sea

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-03-20, 13:14
Saw one about the serial killer Jeffrey dharmer on freeview a few years back

That was disturbing

CopenhagenBlue
07-03-20, 13:54
So many, as I mostly watch documentaries, but a few especially good ones would be:
Red Army - about the Soviet ice hockey team. Fascinating whether you like the sport or not, which I do but my girlfriend loved it too and she's not a sports person.

Making a murderer - Already mentioned above. Brilliant and just difficult to comprehend the injustice.

Time: The Kalief Browder Story - Again, just a shocking miscarriage of justice.

When they see us - More miscarriage of justice stuff, just shocking how the police stitched a load of kids up in New York.

I just watched The Pharmacist on netflix, and that's well worth watching, about the opioid epidemic in the states.

Killer Inside: The mind of Aaron Hernandez is really good too.

Lost Johnny
07-03-20, 14:07
The Legend of Ruby Ridge

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
07-03-20, 15:06
One Day In September springs to mind. About the kidnap of Israeli Olympians in Munich. Exasperating.

elytillidie
07-03-20, 15:07
The Vietnam War, 10 part series, always been fascinated by that conflict, the justification for it, the actions of both sides, the whole sad story.

theclaw
07-03-20, 15:54
Seen a good one last year on a Woodstock,can’t remember what it was called tho.

Taunton Blue Genie
07-03-20, 17:39

Ken Burns is an extraordinary documentary maker.

MacAdder
07-03-20, 17:49
Agree Vietnam was gripping, couldn't put it down.
Also The World at War was jaw dropping in it's time in the 70's some of the shocking footage shown for the first time made even more dramatic with Lawrence Olivier' s iconic voice.
Used to watch it as a kid with my dad, 9pm weekly.

Two great shouts :thumbup:

MacAdder
07-03-20, 17:53

Also excellent at both centre half and centre forward.

darran1927
07-03-20, 17:55
Just finished watching "the staircase" on Netflix American authors wife dead at bottom of stairs in pool of blood follows him around through court case well worth a watch , whether he did it or not shows how corrupt the justice system is

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-03-20, 18:07
Just finished watching "the staircase" on Netflix American authors wife dead at bottom of stairs in pool of blood follows him around through court case well worth a watch , whether he did it or not shows how corrupt the justice system is

Death on the staircase ? His previous wife also died from head injuries after falling down the stairs

darran1927
07-03-20, 18:12
Death on the staircase ? His previous wife also died from head injuries after falling down the stairs

It's just called"the staircase" on Netflix not sure if it was known as death on the staircase before Netflix got it apparently the series was shorter before but now has 13 episodes

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-03-20, 18:21
It's just called"the staircase" on Netflix not sure if it was known as death on the staircase before Netflix got it apparently the series was shorter before but now has 13 episodes

Its gripping though isn't it , I personally thought he was guilty as feck but there you go

Hes out now I think

darran1927
07-03-20, 19:09
Its gripping though isn't it , I personally thought he was guilty as feck but there you go

Hes out now I think

Yes it shows him out in the last episode , I think he did it to ,too much blood for a fall

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-03-20, 21:03
Yes it shows him out in the last episode , I think he did it to ,too much blood for a fall

And the fact his previous wife died in the same way .......

SLUDGE FACTORY
08-03-20, 19:02
Just seen Shane Williams on concussion in contact sports , not a bad watch

delmbox
08-03-20, 21:31
King of Kong's my favourite

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/

skunkatron
09-03-20, 09:06
Hypernormalistion is a great documentary showing the parralels between NYC and Damascus from the 1970s to the modern day. It comprehensively covers all major world events and how the world changed through the ever changing ideas within terrorism, commerce and technology.

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-03-20, 09:41
Hypernormalistion is a great documentary showing the parralels between NYC and Damascus from the 1970s to the modern day. It comprehensively covers all major world events and how the world changed through the ever changing ideas within terrorism, commerce and technology.

That sounds interesting , to put it mildly

J R Hartley
09-03-20, 20:49
So many, as I mostly watch documentaries, but a few especially good ones would be:
Red Army - about the Soviet ice hockey team. Fascinating whether you like the sport or not, which I do but my girlfriend loved it too and she's not a sports person.

Making a murderer - Already mentioned above. Brilliant and just difficult to comprehend the injustice.

Time: The Kalief Browder Story - Again, just a shocking miscarriage of justice.

When they see us - More miscarriage of justice stuff, just shocking how the police stitched a load of kids up in New York.

I just watched The Pharmacist on netflix, and that's well worth watching, about the opioid epidemic in the states.

Killer Inside: The mind of Aaron Hernandez is really good too.

I haven’t seen the Ice Hockey one but the rest are all highly recommended.

Kalief Browder. Truly heartbreaking.

J R Hartley
09-03-20, 20:51

Of course he did it. He was comical though.

Went on a bit for my liking. Could have done it in less episodes. Started to lose interest after a while.

cityhammer
09-03-20, 23:49

I'd also recommend you take a look at his brother's work. There's a brilliant 8 part series on New York by Ric, and Civil wAr which they both worked on.

Baloo
10-03-20, 21:12
Some good ones on the Arena series.

‘Into The Limelight - Tribute Bands’. Featuring Pink Fraud, AB/CD, T-Rextacy etc. playing at the Mecca for tribute bands - The Limelight in Crewe. Strangely uplifting.

light up the darkness
11-03-20, 21:57
The Vietnam War, 10 part series, always been fascinated by that conflict, the justification for it, the actions of both sides, the whole sad story.

Surprising number of people still fighting it

PontBlue
11-03-20, 22:07
Free solo is an excellent documentary and not as grim as some of those previously mentioned!

jon1959
11-03-20, 22:44
Free solo is an excellent documentary and not as grim as some of those previously mentioned!

Second that. Saw it last year on the big screen and later bought it on DVD to re-watch. I was in a cold sweat through most of it. How didn't he kill himself 20 times over?

Taunton Blue Genie
12-03-20, 07:29
I'd also recommend you take a look at his brother's work. There's a brilliant 8 part series on New York by Ric, and Civil wAr which they both worked on.

Cheers

SLUDGE FACTORY
12-03-20, 08:01
Second that. Saw it last year on the big screen and later bought it on DVD to re-watch. I was in a cold sweat through most of it. How didn't he kill himself 20 times over?

What's it about ?

WJ99mobile
12-03-20, 08:03
Anything on Netflix is usually drawn out and overdramatised but they do put it together well.

The best one for me is bowling for Columbine

SLUDGE FACTORY
12-03-20, 08:08
Surprising number of people still fighting it

Post traumatic stress disorder is a terrible thing , someone I know was in the first Iraq conflict and suffered terribly for many years , was a drinker , big drugs user , violent but eventually went to his doctor for help and is now under the care of combat stress , he still has his bad periods when he needs to go to a retreat for some rest and relaxation but he copes , so many though takes their own lives or end up on the streets , poor bastards

SLUDGE FACTORY
12-03-20, 08:10
Anything on Netflix is usually drawn out and overdramatised but they do put it together well.

The best one for me is bowling for Columbine

Yeah that's distressing , and makes you angry seeing all those right to bear arms idiots

America is fecked

fingers
12-03-20, 08:31
Hypernormalisation, mentioned above, is great. I watched Don't Fu*k With Cats recently on Netflix...crazy

welshyoot
12-03-20, 08:58

I also found dawn wall really good.

jon1959
12-03-20, 09:09
What's it about ?

Solo rock climbing without any ropes or anything else - a famous and very big rock face in the USA. Terrifying.

AfricanBluebird
12-03-20, 10:19
That one Jon pilger did on the killing fields , christ it was grim but compelling

Yes. That was incredible. I visited the killing fields a few years back, inspired by the movie and also Johns documentary.

Senna was also quite a remarkable documentary

SLUDGE FACTORY
12-03-20, 12:09
Solo rock climbing without any ropes or anything else - a famous and very big rock face in the USA. Terrifying.

Sod that , my idea of adventure sports is go carting

jon1959
12-03-20, 15:35
Sod that , my idea of adventure sports is go carting

Where's your sense of fun Sludge?

3586 3587 3588

delmbox
12-03-20, 17:02
I also found dawn wall really good.

I loved Dawn Wall, had no idea of the story beforehand and it was so gripping.

This new Spike Jonze Beastie Boys documentary looks good https://variety.com/2020/music/news/beastie-boys-spike-jonze-documentary-trailer-watch-video-1203531850/

Shep Proudfoot
12-03-20, 17:10
Big River Man
Grizzly Man
The Cove

SLUDGE FACTORY
12-03-20, 18:54
Where's your sense of fun Sludge?

3586 3587 3588

Jesus h christ

lazbian
12-03-20, 22:59
Some great spoilers in this thread fair play

welshyoot
13-03-20, 08:46
I loved Dawn Wall, had no idea of the story beforehand and it was so gripping.

This new Spike Jonze Beastie Boys documentary looks good https://variety.com/2020/music/news/beastie-boys-spike-jonze-documentary-trailer-watch-video-1203531850/

Heisenberg
13-03-20, 09:23
King of Kong and Bowling For Columbine have already been said... so I'll add Hoop Dreams, Waiting For Superman, Sicko and Some Kind of Monster to the list.

delmbox
13-03-20, 09:38

:hehe: