PDA

View Full Version : Let’s get physical

Pearcey3
19-03-20, 19:07
Our local doctor’s surgery has started doing medical checks when you reach 55. Mine revealed high blood/sugar levels and high chloresterol. Not dangerously high but I need to get them down. The best way is physical exercise. So on the treadmill tonight for the first time in three years.

Jogged a very slow 2:26 miles in 30 minutes but it’s a start.

Pearcey3
19-03-20, 19:22
If anyone wants to post about their physical exertions on here it would be good. Sludge excepted.

ToTaL ITK
19-03-20, 19:27
If anyone wants to post about their physical exertions on here it would be good. Sludge excepted.

oh dear

sneggyblubird
19-03-20, 19:52
Our local doctor’s surgery has started doing medical checks when you reach 55. Mine revealed high blood/sugar levels and high chloresterol. Not dangerously high but I need to get them down. The best way is physical exercise. So on the treadmill tonight for the first time in three years.

Brisk walk for longer is just as good.

life on mars
19-03-20, 19:52

Great post , look after your gut contents and your gut will look after you and your body

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/what_should_you_eat_for_a_healthy_gut

Pearcey3
19-03-20, 19:58
Brisk walk for longer is just as good.

I walk the dog but the nurse pretty much dismissed that saying I needed to get my heart pumping and needed to be sweating. So time to get back on track.
Besides it’s a bloody dreadful time. Personally it’s been awful and I know how upset posters on here will be about today’s news. So I feel the need to try and do something positive.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
20-03-20, 02:09
I walk the dog but the nurse pretty much dismissed that saying I needed to get my heart pumping and needed to be sweating. So time to get back on track.
Besides it’s a bloody dreadful time. Personally it’s been awful and I know how upset posters on here will be about today’s news. So I feel the need to try and do something positive.

I walk a brisk 4 laps of my apartment block (it's roughly the distance of a standard size running track) and jog the final 5th lap.
I hope to gradually increase the number of laps I jog, I only started doing it about 3 weeks ago.

Condolences to you and your family for the loss of your father. I meant to post earlier.

Baloo
20-03-20, 08:10
Have a brisk 40 minute walk most mornings before starting work. Stick in the plugs and listen to an episode of ‘In Our Time’. Good exercise for body and mind :thumbup:

Pearcey3
20-03-20, 08:25
I walk a brisk 4 laps of my apartment block (it's roughly the distance of a standard size running track) and jog the final 5th lap.
I hope to gradually increase the number of laps I jog, I only started doing it about 3 weeks ago.

Condolences to you and your family for the loss of your father. I meant to post earlier.

Thanks. Like you I am hoping to increase what I am doing. Was a bit cautious last night but still sweated towards the end. How long does your brisk walk/jog take? The nurse emphasised I should be doing thirty minutes exercise every day. I will struggle to do that but if I can do thirty minutes three times a week plus walk the dog a couple of times each week then that should get my blood/sugar and cholesterol levels down.

Robin Friday's Ghost
20-03-20, 09:26
Sorry Pearcey I missed that. Very sorry for your loss.
Can we just start 2020 again please?

Pearcey3
20-03-20, 09:35
Sorry Pearcey I missed that. Very sorry for your loss.
Can we just start 2020 again please?

Thanks RFG. Don’t be daft. No need to say sorry. I mentioned it as a passing comment a few days ago. Fully agree about restarting 2020. It’s been miserable.

Hilts
20-03-20, 11:09
I normally play 5 a side 3 times a week. Thats now been stopped for the forseeable future from yesterday.

Got a gym membership with a local private gym. Im not going to cancel it but theres no way im using a gym at the moment.

Went for a run yesterday. Fresh air hills much better than a treadmill( normally use them regularly)

Got bench dumbells kettle slam balls in the garage. Dont get the same motivation as in the gym but will get in there. There s going to be feck all else to do soon.

lennybluebird
20-03-20, 11:33
It's a good start, well done😊

Taunton Blue Genie
20-03-20, 16:18
Have a brisk 40 minute walk most mornings before starting work. Stick in the plugs and listen to an episode of ‘In Our Time’. Good exercise for body and mind :thumbup:

Do you listen to 'Thinking Allowed'? It's terrific.

Pearcey3
21-03-20, 10:29
Slight improvement today running 2:39 miles in 30 minutes.
I know there are a lot of posters of a similar age to me. It’s worth getting yourselves a health check. I will have another in just under five years when I hit 60. They told me I am currently at 7% risk of a heart attack in the next five years. They worry if it hits 10% or more.

It has certainly made me realise I need to be a lot more active.

Baloo
21-03-20, 10:39
Do you listen to 'Thinking Allowed'? It's terrific.
Not currently but will have a listen :thumbup:

Rogersblue
21-03-20, 10:42
my mate in work is 58,his training routine is 8 to 10 cans of bow a day,best worker in the factory even the youngsters cant compete with him.it's all in the mind.

Pearcey3
21-03-20, 10:49
my mate in work is 58,his training routine is 8 to 10 cans of bow a day,best worker in the factory even the youngsters cant compete with him.it's all in the mind.

His mind might be fine but his liver might not be.

Baloo
21-03-20, 10:53
His mind might be fine but his liver might not be.
I’d stick to your doctor’s advice Pearcey.

Maurice Swan
21-03-20, 11:57
mmmm...am 73 in July. Never smoked, always liked a drink in moderation. Never jogged in my life. Fortunately I seem to be healthy apart from taking a 5mg tablet each day for mild BP, since my wife died suddenly back in Jan 2011. My weight is pretty much what it was in my teens 9 albeit a bit over what it should be) My exercise? Gardening (your own or someone else's) - mowing the lawn, digging a vegetable patch etc. DOES get the heart beating faster, makes you perspire and exercises the muscles in the body.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
21-03-20, 12:13
mmmm...am 73 in July. Never smoked, always liked a drink in moderation. Never jogged in my life. Fortunately I seem to be healthy apart from taking a 5mg tablet each day for mild BP, since my wife died suddenly back in Jan 2011. My weight is pretty much what it was in my teens 9 albeit a bit over what it should be) My exercise? Gardening (your own or someone else's) - mowing the lawn, digging a vegetable patch etc. DOES get the heart beating faster, makes you perspire and exercises the muscles in the body.

:thumbup:

Pearcey3
21-03-20, 12:24

All good.

light up the darkness
21-03-20, 15:10
At 7.30 am it’s 30+degrees and I m sweating just standing still. Does that count

Pearcey3
21-03-20, 15:13
At 7.30 am it’s 30+degrees and I m sweating just standing still. Does that count

No. You should be doing fifty press ups.

Hilts
21-03-20, 18:31
Saturday. Cant believe I havent had a pint.

If im not at the football normally in a pub at 11.45 have around 8 pints in the afternoon. (Only do this on a Saturday)

Just got in 8.5km run in the country fresh air.

Bottle of wine in the fridge though.

Pearcey3
04-04-20, 12:29
Is anyone doing physical exercise as a result of the lockdown?
I’ve stuck to my running on the treadmill and am now up to 3.07 miles in 30 minutes. My target was 10 minute miles before I hit my 56th birthday this month. Managed that and am targeting nine minute miles longer term. It’s not great but I’m ok with it. The days of running 6/7 minute miles back in the 80’s are gone for good.

Croesy Blue
04-04-20, 13:01
Is anyone doing physical exercise as a result of the lockdown?
I’ve stuck to my running on the treadmill and am now up to 3.07 miles in 30 minutes. My target was 10 minute miles before I hit my 56th birthday this month. Managed that and am targeting nine minute miles longer term. It’s not great but I’m ok with it. The days of running 6/7 minute miles back in the 80’s are gone for good.

I think they are very good times considering you've not been doing it long.

I've been going out for a daily run around 6.30am, I'm fairly central so it gets a bit "busy" later on but I'd go mad if I didn't get 45 mins outside.

Pearcey3
04-04-20, 13:21
I think they are very good times considering you've not been doing it long.

I've been going out for a daily run around 6.30am, I'm fairly central so it gets a bit "busy" later on but I'd go mad if I didn't get 45 mins outside.

45 minutes a day is a good effort. I can’t do that. I’m on the treadmill every other day plus walk the dog a couple of times a week. It’s enough for me.

Croesy Blue
04-04-20, 14:43
45 minutes a day is a good effort. I can’t do that. I’m on the treadmill every other day plus walk the dog a couple of times a week. It’s enough for me.

I’ve got younger legs than you I think 😉. And it sounds like you’ve only just started getting into it, impressive every other day and good times you’re doing I think.

You’ve done well mate keep it up :thumbup: