PDA

View Full Version : Sir Keir wins on first round ( thank god)

life on mars
04-04-20, 10:56
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52164589

http://camdennewjournal.com/article/in-full-sir-keir-starmers-labour-leadership-victory-speech

surge
04-04-20, 11:24
Expect there will be an awful lot of noise today from those still talking about previous Labour leader but they should recognise that Labour will struggle to win an election without votes of those who voted Corbyn but would struggle to vote Blair and those who voted Blair but would struggle to vote for Corbyn. Starmer talking about unity suggests he gets the need for a broad church.

the other bob wilson
04-04-20, 11:30
Pleased about this, but is that overall voting number usually so low (seems one in three eligible to vote didn't)?

I don't envy him the job at all though.

Heathblue
04-04-20, 11:43
Don't feel its the time for politics but glad he has won and will leave it at that.

tell it like it is
04-04-20, 12:21
Received less votes than spoilt ballots / "did not vote".

life on mars
04-04-20, 13:19
Received less votes than spoilt ballots / "did not vote".

Wow didn't see that , what a mess .

Election of the Leader of the Labour Party

Total voters Total votes returned Total spoilt ballots

Members 552,835 401,564 (72.64%) 43

Registered Supporters 13,626 13,006 (95.45%) 0

Affiliated Supporters 217,690 76,161 (34.99%) 93

Total 784,151 490,731 (62.58%) 136

tell it like it is
04-04-20, 14:25
It's worse than a mess.

Red Len, elected based upon 6% of union members votes wanted Becky Wrong-Daily.

EHRC report due out soon.

Starmer has to deal with union leaders who didn't want him, clear up Corbyn's antisemitism mess whilst trying to ignore he was silent despite having a Jewish wife and kids.

It's an utter train wreck for Labour.

Wales-Bales
04-04-20, 14:27
Keir is about as exciting as watching paint dry, I hope they have got some kind of AI augmentation lined up for him :biggrin:

life on mars
04-04-20, 19:15
The party has been destroyed, and I think that was the plan all along .

The spoilt ballet gang ( all inclusiveness ) members continue to try and divide and conquer from within what a dreadful state of affairs .

I hope Sir Kier shows some balls and faces them down .

Wales-Bales
04-04-20, 20:53
I like Keir, and I remember posting on here soon after he entered politics that he would become the Labour leader. He's got my backing and my vote, as long as he doesn't plan any U-turns on Brexit! :thumbup:

cyril evans awaydays
04-04-20, 21:17
The party has been destroyed, and I think that was the plan all along .

The spoilt ballet gang ( all inclusiveness ) members continue to try and divide and conquer from within what a dreadful state of affairs .

I hope Sir Kier shows some balls and faces them down .

Who amongst 136 people who wrecked Swan Lake out of the 490,371 who cast a vote should he face down first do you think?

Eric Cartman
04-04-20, 22:40
Who amongst 136 people who wrecked Swan Lake out of the 490,371 who cast a vote should he face down first do you think?

They are going to make his life hell.

jon1959
05-04-20, 10:28
Keir is about as exciting as watching paint dry, I hope they have got some kind of AI augmentation lined up for him :biggrin:

I like Keir, and I remember posting on here soon after he entered politics that he would become the Labour leader. He's got my backing and my vote, as long as he doesn't plan any U-turns on Brexit! :thumbup:

:sherlock:

jon1959
05-04-20, 10:37
I wasn't enthused by the candidates for leader, but Starmer did make great efforts to present himself as the unifying option - and his 10 pledges will be difficult to ditch.

I was angered by some of his victory speech though. He needs to be very careful about giving the government too much of an easy ride and his stance on the 'antisemitism crisis' (same for Long-Bailey and Nandy) has been straight out of the LFI and Board Of Deputies playbooks. He talked about an ethical foreign policy during the campaign - but has been totally silent when it comes to the killings and destruction in Gaza and the West Bank in recent months.

Wales-Bales
05-04-20, 13:24
:sherlock:
He clearly has a good mind and impressive credentials, but I think it's fair to say he doesn't possess a sparkling personality.

surge
05-04-20, 15:02
He clearly has a good mind and impressive credentials, but I think it's fair to say he doesn't possess a sparkling personality.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton/keir-starmer-profile

He comes across as serious but i) doesn't appear fair to say he has no personality given the life he's lead and ii) aren't we ready for serious now? Last couple of years have been full of characters, even May's personality got talked about more than her policies, and we've wasted millions (billions?) of years on a project almost no one cared about before 2015 and has left us inadequately prepared for global crisis.

Wales-Bales
05-04-20, 15:25
https://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton/keir-starmer-profile

He comes across as serious but i) doesn't appear fair to say he has no personality given the life he's lead and ii) aren't we ready for serious now? Last couple of years have been full of characters, even May's personality got talked about more than her policies, and we've wasted millions (billions?) of years on a project almost no one cared about before 2015 and has left us inadequately prepared for global crisis.
Like I said he has my support, but whenever I listen to him give extended talks, I find his presentation a bit drab.

life on mars
05-04-20, 19:33
He is a 100% better option that the last leader , I'm so glad he's gone, glad he given Nandy good position , she has something resh about her approach.

Anneliese Dodds is a sharp operator.

Jonathan Ashworth is a very decent performer.

Won't miss McDonald , Abbott , Barry Gardiner, Jon Trickett and Ian Lavery.

cyril evans awaydays
06-04-20, 18:58
He is a 100% better option that the last leader , I'm so glad he's gone, glad he given Nandy good position , she has something resh about her approach.

Anneliese Dodds is a sharp operator.

Jonathan Ashworth is a very decent performer.

Won't miss McDonald , Abbott , Barry Gardiner, Jon Trickett and Ian Lavery.

I agree generally.

From what I can see Starmer has put up a meritocratic shadow team. He has shown the right distance from the past by jettisoning some of the people you mention though McDonnell was always on an out. He must have been tempted around Benn, Cooper and Jess Phillips but prudently kept them at a little arms length for now.

Whenever I saw Barry Gardiner on Newsnight or a political forum I always wondered how many potential voters he lost tonight. Others you mention and Burgon, showed what you get if you reward loyalty over capability.

A wait and see moment I guess

life on mars
06-04-20, 21:16
I agree generally.

From what I can see Starmer has put up a meritocratic shadow team. He has shown the right distance from the past by jettisoning some of the people you mention though McDonnell was always on an out. He must have been tempted around Benn, Cooper and Jess Phillips but prudently kept them at a little arms length for now.

Whenever I saw Barry Gardiner on Newsnight or a political forum I always wondered how many potential voters he lost tonight. Others you mention and Burgon, showed what you get if you reward loyalty over capability.

A wait and see moment I guess

What we need know is unity , and a step away from the blame culture .

Wales-Bales
07-04-20, 14:05
Where will all the radical Marxists go now that the Labour Party has a centrist leader?

Maybe lardy & cyril can answer this one? :sherlock:

life on mars
08-04-20, 10:34
Where will all the radical Marxists go now that the Labour Party has a centrist leader?

Maybe lardy & cyril can answer this one? :sherlock:

I thought the same before the last election ,gosh if you posted something about Corbyn or Brexit you were evil , it was a big debate , now nothing , yep you would be swamped with comments and insulted for having a different view , and called a lite Tory . ( oh I miss those magical days )

I have tested my theory and posted a few UK related political things and noticed you get a slight nibble , but very little bite these days , its all Trump , Trump, Trump , oh and those childishly comments , picking you up on your grammar and spelling , nothing else to hold onto , nothing to debate I guess , bless them and their multiple identities . :sherlock::biggrin::hehe::shrug::facepalm:

cyril evans awaydays
08-04-20, 10:49
:fishing::tumbleweed::shrug:

lardy
08-04-20, 10:57
I thought the same before the last election ,gosh if you posted something about Corbyn or Brexit you were evil , it was a big debate , now nothing , yep you would be swamped with comments and insulted for having a different view , and called a lite Tory . ( oh I miss those magical days )

I have tested my theory and posted a few UK related political things and noticed you get a slight nibble , but very little bite these days , its all Trump , Trump, Trump , oh and those childishly comments , picking you up on your grammar and spelling , nothing else to hold onto , nothing to debate I guess , bless them and their multiple identities . :sherlock::biggrin::hehe::shrug::facepalm:

So you are looking for bites.

Make up your mind!

life on mars
08-04-20, 17:39
So you are looking for bites.

Make up your mind!

There we go proof of a no substance reply on the OP , If anyone flips through this post you find decent replies, and the odd churlish ones from the usual suspects.

cyril evans awaydays
08-04-20, 18:08
There we go proof of a no substance reply on the OP , If anyone flips through this post you find decent replies, and the odd churlish ones from the usual suspects.

Let's use the last few posts on here as an example.

You make a reasonable point that Starmer is a better leader and has thrown out some of the second raters that made Labour less electable:

In a few paragraphs I agree with you and amplify a few points about the politicians you were mentioning;

Your mate then chips in with his Lardy and Cyril parrot call. What do you do?

Is it a) call him out for being a prat when people are having a sensible discussion about UK politics or

b) Lick his arse and double down on what he is saying by chucking the kitchen sink in. follow his stupid lead and start bleating that all people talk about is Trump Trump Trump.

Wales-Bales
08-04-20, 19:22
lardy & cyril™

:wink:

Taunton Blue Genie
08-04-20, 19:32
lardy & cyril™

:wink:

Same sh*t every day.

life on mars
08-04-20, 19:41
Same sh*t every day.

one and the same perhaps ??

life on mars
08-04-20, 19:47
Let's use the last few posts on here as an example.

You make a reasonable point that Starmer is a better leader and has thrown out some of the second raters that made Labour less electable:

In a few paragraphs I agree with you and amplify a few points about the politicians you were mentioning;

Your mate then chips in with his Lardy and Cyril parrot call. What do you do?

Is it a) call him out for being a prat when people are having a sensible discussion about UK politics or

b) Lick his arse and double down on what he is saying by chucking the kitchen sink in. follow his stupid lead and start bleating that all people talk about is Trump Trump Trump.

Are you his minder now ?

cyril evans awaydays
08-04-20, 19:59
Are you his minder now ?

Guess your answer is b) then :shrug:

CardiffIrish2
08-04-20, 19:59

😬 x100000000000

Wales-Bales
08-04-20, 22:33
Same sh*t every day.
At least it's accurate sh*t :biggrin:

Wales-Bales
08-04-20, 22:40

To be fair Trump is quite important because what he does affects the entire world. We are at a pivotal moment in history, and things could go either way. There are big players involved including the US, China, EU, Japan, India, Russia, and even the UK.

life on mars
09-04-20, 12:36
At least it's accurate sh*t :biggrin:

At least there fairly healthy , as one's doctor would always ask if you are regular and of good mind , so the "same sh*t " each day is good and a double positive , where we can see they are clearing out there anger issues and sh*ting on a regular basis ?

jon1959
09-04-20, 17:25
At least there fairly healthy , as one's doctor would always ask if you are regular and of good mind , so the "same sh*t " each day is good and a double positive , where we can see they are clearing out there anger issues and sh*ting on a regular basis ?

life on mars
09-04-20, 19:55

Don't that's not fair to them, they are trying hard.

Heisenberg
10-04-20, 09:51
Don't that's not fair to them, they are trying hard.

:hehe: "I kNoW yOu ArE bUt WhAt Am I?"

life on mars
10-04-20, 11:22
:hehe: "I kNoW yOu ArE bUt WhAt Am I?"

Dyslexia isn't a joke

cyril evans awaydays
10-04-20, 11:31
Dyslexia isn't a joke

Not in my experience every device I use has spelling and poor grammar , I blame the booze.

Apart from when it is, of course!

Heisenberg
10-04-20, 13:32
Dyslexia isn't a joke

Thanks for that. Not sure what relevance it has to my post though.

life on mars
10-04-20, 14:40
Not in my experience every device I use has spelling and poor grammar , I blame the booze.

Apart from when it is, of course!

:hehe:

life on mars
10-04-20, 14:40
Thanks for that. Not sure what relevance it has to my post though.

never mind

Whisperer
11-04-20, 11:32
Another bad choice by the Labour Party can't see them getting in for at least 15 years.

life on mars
11-04-20, 17:04
Another bad choice by the Labour Party can't see them getting in for at least 15 years.

As the wonderful Harold Wilson once said :

""a week is a long time in politics"

cyril evans awaydays
11-04-20, 18:18

What's happened in the week since you posted Sir Keir wins on the first round (thank god)?

Whisperer
12-04-20, 08:41

Yes Harold was a wonderful choice whereby Keir is a loser and will follow Jeremy and Milliband into the losers quarters.

life on mars
12-04-20, 23:06
What's happened in the week since you posted Sir Keir wins on the first round (thank god)?

Just rejoicing on him beating that awful wrong bailey, why !!! ,whats upset you now .

If you take some time to read my reply to Whisper In its right context , it's simply trying to be positive to his suggestion that Labour would be in the wilderness for the next 15 years , I'm saying a weeks is a long ( argh feck it )

life on mars
12-04-20, 23:14
Yes Harold was a wonderful choice whereby Keir is a loser and will follow Jeremy and Milliband into the losers quarters.

I'm just glad he beat that dreadful Wrong Baileys ( the McDonald's , Corbyn manifestation candidate ) .

Lisa Nandy, Jess Phillips or Yvette Cooper if she had run would have proved to be able , better and fresher opposition .

I guess Labour will always shy from the female leader , strange as I thought the other lot were more of the old boys club .