PDA

View Full Version : Are you a good cook ?

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-04-20, 00:38
I am crap

Simply not interested in it

Breakfast is bran flakes , banana and chopped apple

Lunch tuna or cheese or ham sarnie , yoghurt

Main meal usually a microwaved ready meal with microwaved frozen mixed veg

Apart from when I make a beef or vegetable stew .....beef , spuds , carrots , parsnips , onions , stock cube , simmer for an hour , into a bowl , couple of brown bread rolls , lump of cheese .......I just cant be arsed with preparing fresh veg , all that cleaning , chopping boiling , sod that

Chilli con carne ? Buy some mince , fry it , pour on tesco or asda chilli con carne ready made sauce , get a packet of that microwaveable rice , bung it in the microwave , serve , eat it

Curry ? If i want an authentic curry i will order one or go out to a curry house . I am not going to mess about chopping onions , garlic , spices , etc ........just buy some chicken or lamb , fry it , pour on tesco or asda curry cooking sauce , microwave some of that rice , serve it , eat it

Baked potatoes? I am not going to waste my time cooking spuds in the oven for an hour . Buy microwaveable spuds, bung em in the microwave , pour on some beans , eat .

Beans on toast

Scrambled egg on toast

Stir fry ? Arse about buying all the ingredients ? Sod that , buy a packet of stir fry vegetables , fry them with some chicken , splash on some soy sauce , get it down your neck

Salad ? Dont waste time you could be listening to music on buying lettuce , tomatoes , spring onions , cucumber etc , buy one of those 1 pound pre prepared salad pots , empty a tin of tuna or sardines or cottage cheese or ham , bung it on a plate , eat it .

Waste time baking salmon or fish in the oven ? Buy frozen salmon or cheap frozen white fish , microwave in salt , pepper and lemon , microwave some frozen mixed veg , eat the bloody stuff

Spend all day making sunday lunch giving yourself a nervous breakdown ? Sod that , go to a pub , pay someone to make it for you

Time management is what it's all about . Forget all this masterchef nonsense . Eat , then watch tv , DVDs, listen to music , read , phone a mate .

MOZZER2
19-04-20, 00:52
cooking is really easy these days sludge even i can knock up a dinner

think you need some education on your beef diet tho ! think you need a lecture about eating meat but will leave that for another day

elytillidie
19-04-20, 05:23

think you need some education on your beef diet tho ! think you need a lecture about eating meat but will leave that for another day
Clueless, if my wife doesn't cook it, I'll have something like toast, cereal, tin of soup, sandwich, microwaved scrambled egg, quick and easy. Hungry, eat, not hungry.

mazadona10
19-04-20, 07:12
I'm not a good cook, i always think if a meal takes long than it takes to prepare isn't worth it.

I take all the shortcuts, packet mix, jar sauces. In this instance I'm a bit like sludge.

I've never really tried, I'm not a foodie, i dont appreciate flavours and expensive food, i have been a vegatarian for 26 years so not had much meat before that.

bobh
19-04-20, 08:08
I'm a better cook than my family are diners.

I like to work from raw ingredients, add herbs and spices, etc.
Wife doesn't like "fancy stuff"; daughter won't eat most veg, her bf has fussy fads too.

So most days it's what's in the reezer.

I'll eat better when they all go to work.

jeepster
19-04-20, 08:34
Cooking a stir fry today,chicken,mushrooms,pakchoi.broccoli,springoni ons,beansprouts and a honey and chilli home made dressing.

Tuerto
19-04-20, 09:54
I'm not a bad cook, it's certainly edible when i've finished. I'm a bit like sludge when i comes to food, the quicker the better, not interested as long as it tastes ok. I will eat al most anything as well.

jon1959
19-04-20, 10:15
I'm a pretty good cook. I enjoy it and share the cooking 50:50 with my other half. She experiments with new recipes more than me - I tend to cook what I know or else put things together from whatever ingredients we have in the house. I am OK with bread but have never got pastry right (not helped by wholemeal flour)

We have never had a microwave. We always steam veg - never boil. We even managed to cook Vegan for the best part of a week when my brother and his partner stayed - that became difficult after a few days, although I did start to appreciate lentils.

NYCBlue
19-04-20, 10:52
I am a pretty good cook. You just have to be into it. My Mrs isn't interested. I have NEVER been in a relationship with a girl who cooked. Weird.

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-04-20, 11:18
I just ain't interested in the time and effort in preparation when I can be doing other things

Each to their own though

Heisenberg
19-04-20, 11:21
I just ain't interested in the time and effort in preparation when I can be doing other things

Each to their own though

It's the clearing and cleaning up afterwards that annoys me, especially after a long day at work. I love the actual cooking part though - it's good for your mental health, Sludgey boy!

the other bob wilson
19-04-20, 11:29
I'm a pretty good cook. I enjoy it and share the cooking 50:50 with my other half. She experiments with new recipes more than me - I tend to cook what I know or else put things together from whatever ingredients we have in the house. I am OK with bread but have never got pastry right (not helped by wholemeal flour)

We have never had a microwave. We always steam veg - never boil. We even managed to cook Vegan for the best part of a week when my brother and his partner stayed - that became difficult after a few days, although I did start to appreciate lentils.

Sounds like I'm similar to you in many ways, I don't think I'm a bad cook, but I do tend to stick to the "tried and trusted" too much and, because of that, my recipes are all based on when I started to get an interest in cooking which was at a time when I would make meals for myself and four others - hence my freezer tends to get jammed back these days if I decided to cook two different things in a week!

beakerboyblue
19-04-20, 11:35
Doing a Sunday Roast, Beef ,roast potatoes, green vegetables and carrots with Yorkshire pudding and homemade gravy

Taunton Blue Genie
19-04-20, 11:49
Sounds like I'm similar to you in many ways, I don't think I'm a bad cook, but I do tend to stick to the "tried and trusted" too much and, because of that, my recipes are all based on when I started to get an interest in cooking which was at a time when I would make meals for myself and four others - hence my freezer tends to get jammed back these days if I decided to cook two different things in a week!

In recent months I have tried to buy food and fruit I don't usually eat. And not mixing with people means that eating garlic almost every day is a rare treat.

Heathblue
19-04-20, 11:58
No, but I dont need to be.

chris lee
19-04-20, 12:06
I have been on a Keto diet for a while (very low carb)
eat meat, fruit and veg simple and clean.
nothing processed, try to avoid prepared food as much as possible.
most of my meat is from local butches and veg/ eggs from the farm.

I try to plan and prep makes it so much easier, this is todays:

Breakfast - natural yogurt with banana, mixed berries
Brunch - Large 4 egg spinach omelette
Lunch - grilled salmon and fried asparagus
Tea - Large rump steak, basted in butter and garlic, with steamed veg.

No potato, bread, rice or pasta.

snacks: will try and eat an orange at some point during the day.
also keep beef jerky at hand, and some frozen chicken wings i can quickly cook up if I need something quick without ruining diet.

if I have a busy day, dont have time to prep 4 meals, I often combine breaky and brunch into the same meal, and take tinned sardines out with me.

I then do 12hr water fast from 8:00pm- 8:00am, sounds cool but ridiculous easy as you sleep for 8 of those hours.
also only drink water in the day, apart from green tea 1-2 cups a day

no soft drinks or alcohol.

10k run most nights at 9/10ish

xsnaggle
19-04-20, 12:50
I have been on a Keto diet for a while (very low carb)
eat meat, fruit and veg simple and clean.
nothing processed, try to avoid prepared food as much as possible.
most of my meat is from local butches and veg/ eggs from the farm.

I try to plan and prep makes it so much easier, this is todays:

Breakfast - natural yogurt with banana, mixed berries
Brunch - Large 4 egg spinach omelette
Lunch - grilled salmon and fried asparagus
Tea - Large rump steak, basted in butter and garlic, with steamed veg.

No potato, bread, rice or pasta.

snacks: will try and eat an orange at some point during the day.
also keep beef jerky at hand, and some frozen chicken wings i can quickly cook up if I need something quick without ruining diet.

if I have a busy day, dont have time to prep 4 meals, I often combine breaky and brunch into the same meal, and take tinned sardines out with me.

I then do 12hr water fast from 8:00pm- 8:00am, sounds cool but ridiculous easy as you sleep for 8 of those hours.
also only drink water in the day, apart from green tea 1-2 cups a day

no soft drinks or alcohol.

10k run most nights at 9/10ish

Sounds good except the last bit. How can you do a 10Km run when you are not taking in any water for 2 hours before and 9 hours after? That could be less than healthy.

Tuerto
19-04-20, 13:14
Sounds good except the last bit. How can you do a 10Km run when you are not taking in any water for 2 hours before and 9 hours after? That could be less than healthy.

Yup, that doesn't sound clever.

Tuerto
19-04-20, 13:19
It's the clearing and cleaning up afterwards that annoys me, especially after a long day at work. I love the actual cooking part though - it's good for your mental health, Sludgey boy!

Agree, creating something that is appreciated is good for the Brain. Hate the cleaning up though. In my house they're really fussy. My missus eats about four different things, my boy is allergic to anything green, my youngest isn't that bad. I'll eat anything, i'll try anything, even if i don't like it i'll finish it if i'm hungry. I bought some pigs trotters from the buthchers and slow cooked them with herbs. mild spices and a little oil, bloody lovely with some potatoes. My missus was Puking, she was going to throw me out.

jeepster
19-04-20, 13:25
Agree, creating something that is appreciated is good for the Brain. Hate the cleaning up though. In my house they're really fussy. My missus eats about four different things, my boy is allergic to anything green, my youngest isn't that bad. I'll eat anything, i'll try anything, even if i don't like it i'll finish it if i'm hungry. I bought some pigs trotters from the buthchers and slow cooked them with herbs. mild spices and a little oil, bloody lovely with some potatoes. My missus was Puking, she was going to throw me out.

Trotters,hock, pigs cheek beautiful.I could not eat brawn it looks like dead baby hamsters :puke:

lardy
19-04-20, 13:25

To be fair, when I had pigs trotters on my plate, I had no idea what I was supposed to do with them. And I'm all for trying new things.

But trotters, chicken feet, anything like that is a no for me.

Tuerto
19-04-20, 13:38
To be fair, when I had pigs trotters on my plate, I had no idea what I was supposed to do with them. And I'm all for trying new things.

But trotters, chicken feet, anything like that is a no for me.

Fair enogh mate, i just put it in my mouth and hope for the best! The only thing that i don't really like (but i'll eat it rather than waste it) is Mcdonalds food, there's like a plastic aftertaste, and i left a cheeseburger in my van once (still wrapped up) for two weeks, when i found it i ate it and it still tasted the same. Greggs is minging as well. The sausage rolls are like sucking fat through a sock.

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-04-20, 14:00

Arseing about chopping and cooking vegetables , preheating an oven to cook a chicken , boiling rice for twenty minutes , pissingvabout with herbs and spices , it ain't my thing

life on mars
19-04-20, 14:23
I'm only good at quick prep meals like curry , chilli con carne, stir fry , spaghetti bolognese , anything past 30 minutes and I'm shit or wanting to punch something got not patience and temper flares if it goes bad

Tuerto
19-04-20, 14:35
I'm only good at quick prep meals like curry , chilli con carne, stir fry , spaghetti bolognese , anything past 30 minutes and I'm shit or wanting to punch something got not patience and temper flares if it goes bad

A shit version of Gordon Ramsey?

ToTaL ITK
19-04-20, 17:50

ahhhh sludge has knocked up plenty a dinner ladies i'm sure.The gorgeous ones i remember from school:hehe:

Tuerto
19-04-20, 18:10
ahhhh sludge has knocked up plenty a dinner ladies i'm sure.The gorgeous ones i remember from school:hehe:

The ones in my school were horror bags. Usually kids mums who went to the school. We had one called Mrs Murray and she was a horrible ****.

Heisenberg
19-04-20, 18:15

Made a pizza from scratch with my daughter this evening (she's not an ingredient in it). What an absolute pain in the arse that was! Didn't put enough flour on the counter so it was sticking to everything. Was worth it in the end though as it was delicious. Luckily made enough dough for another 3 pizzas so won't have to go through that crap again.

Just realised that I'm starting to sound like Blue Matt so I'm going to leave it there :hehe:

CCFCC3PO
19-04-20, 18:31
Just made a nice roast pork dinner.

Put the pork shoulder in at 240 degrees for half an hour, then leave it cooking for just over 4 hours on a low heat (170 degrees).

Cut up carrots, red onions, celery, baste them with the juices, and cook them with the pork for an hour. Potatoes, sprouts, roast parsnips.

Crackling was delicious.

CCFCC3PO
19-04-20, 18:32

If I do a proper Spaghetti Bolognese, I leave it simmer for about 80-90 minutes. Gets really tasty then.

CCFCC3PO
19-04-20, 18:33

We had a dinner "lady" in our school, not much older than 18. Quite a few of the lads got seconds off her.

chris lee
19-04-20, 19:36

Sorry didn’t word it very well a fast, in that I can only drink water for that 12hrs no food or other drinks

chris lee
19-04-20, 19:39
If I do a proper Spaghetti Bolognese, I leave it simmer for about 80-90 minutes. Gets really tasty then.

I have heard that if left in the fridge over night Then heated back up over the hob is supposed to be really good

Taunton Blue Genie
19-04-20, 19:40
We had a dinner "lady" in our school, not much older than 18. Quite a few of the lads got seconds off her.

Were they sweet on her and did they get their just desserts?

RichardM
19-04-20, 19:45
I have cooked this 3747 today

Rock_Flock_of_Five
19-04-20, 19:58

Let me be the first to ask... uhm, what is it?

:o)

Tuerto
19-04-20, 21:07

Looks great. How did it taste?

RichardM
19-04-20, 21:19

Thank you. I haven't cut in to it yet.

Tuerto
19-04-20, 21:43
Thank you. I haven't cut in to it yet.

Post the evidence-I want to see the inside..

Jimmy the Jock
19-04-20, 22:12

For the best bolognaise , cook it for 30/40 minutes then leave overnight .. cooking for 80 minutes is more likely to cook any taste out of it.
I enjoy cooking, preparing the ingredients etc . Don't mind clearing up after either , its all part of the gig..

Eric the Half a Bee
19-04-20, 22:16
For the best bolognaise , cook it for 30/40 minutes then leave overnight .. cooking for 80 minutes is more likely to cook any taste out of it.
I enjoy cooking, preparing the ingredients etc . Don't mind clearing up after either , its all part of the gig..

I tend to leave mine on a trickle of a simmer for a few hours. Heard Anthony Worrall-Thompson suggest it once, tried it and thought it was an improvement. Certainly made the mince more tender.

Eric the Half a Bee
19-04-20, 22:18
I am crap

Simply not interested in it

Breakfast is bran flakes , banana and chopped apple

Lunch tuna or cheese or ham sarnie , yoghurt

Main meal usually a microwaved ready meal with microwaved frozen mixed veg

Apart from when I make a beef or vegetable stew .....beef , spuds , carrots , parsnips , onions , stock cube , simmer for an hour , into a bowl , couple of brown bread rolls , lump of cheese .......I just cant be arsed with preparing fresh veg , all that cleaning , chopping boiling , sod that

Chilli con carne ? Buy some mince , fry it , pour on tesco or asda chilli con carne ready made sauce , get a packet of that microwaveable rice , bung it in the microwave , serve , eat it

Curry ? If i want an authentic curry i will order one or go out to a curry house . I am not going to mess about chopping onions , garlic , spices , etc ........just buy some chicken or lamb , fry it , pour on tesco or asda curry cooking sauce , microwave some of that rice , serve it , eat it

Baked potatoes? I am not going to waste my time cooking spuds in the oven for an hour . Buy microwaveable spuds, bung em in the microwave , pour on some beans , eat .

Beans on toast

Scrambled egg on toast

Stir fry ? Arse about buying all the ingredients ? Sod that , buy a packet of stir fry vegetables , fry them with some chicken , splash on some soy sauce , get it down your neck

Salad ? Dont waste time you could be listening to music on buying lettuce , tomatoes , spring onions , cucumber etc , buy one of those 1 pound pre prepared salad pots , empty a tin of tuna or sardines or cottage cheese or ham , bung it on a plate , eat it .

Waste time baking salmon or fish in the oven ? Buy frozen salmon or cheap frozen white fish , microwave in salt , pepper and lemon , microwave some frozen mixed veg , eat the bloody stuff

Spend all day making sunday lunch giving yourself a nervous breakdown ? Sod that , go to a pub , pay someone to make it for you

Time management is what it's all about . Forget all this masterchef nonsense . Eat , then watch tv , DVDs, listen to music , read , phone a mate .

I enjoy cooking and do virtually all of it in the house.

life on mars
19-04-20, 22:38

Put a square of dark chocolate in the mix next time .

life on mars
19-04-20, 22:39

Wow that's impressive

CCFCC3PO
19-04-20, 22:57

I like clearing up as I go along. Disagree on the timing though - if you cook it on a low heat it tastes great.

CCFCC3PO
19-04-20, 22:58
Put a square of dark chocolate in the mix next time .

Really? I have to try that.

CCFCC3PO
19-04-20, 23:03
I tend to leave mine on a trickle of a simmer for a few hours. Heard Anthony Worrall-Thompson suggest it once, tried it and thought it was an improvement. Certainly made the mince more tender.

Yes, that is what I find too. A low heat until the sauce is reduced.

Red wine, nutmeg, tomatoes, celery, bay leaves, garlic, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, onions, carrots, veg stock. I usually cook the veg first, then the meat, then add the tomatoes and red wine. It's been a while since I cooked it though - think I usually add basil as well. Gonna have to try the dark chocolate idea. Fry the onions and garlic in butter too. Add in some bacon to the mince meat.