PDA

View Full Version : Messageboard Member’s Schools

splott parker
01-07-20, 20:11
I wonder what infants, junior and senior schools messageboarders attended and which ones would be top of the list?

Mine are infants-St Francis (Ely), junior- St Albans (Splott) & senior-Lady Mary.

Der Kaiser
01-07-20, 20:17
Infants / Junior - Coed Glas (Llanishen)
Secondary/Sixth Form - Cowbridge Comp

Pearcey3
01-07-20, 20:26
Ashchurch junior school
Tewkesbury Comp

chris lee
01-07-20, 20:30
St. Clares Convent school, Porthcawl.

(primary and grammar)

adz-a32
01-07-20, 20:31
Nice try, scammer :hehe:

splott parker
01-07-20, 20:39
Nice try, scammer :hehe:

My next post is regarding mother’s maiden names:hehe:

Taunton Blue Genie
01-07-20, 20:41
I went to eleven schools in Cardiff.

splott parker
01-07-20, 20:54

What were you? A supply teacher?

cyril evans awaydays
01-07-20, 20:57

County Lines

Tuerto
01-07-20, 21:01

Started your travelling very early.

Heisenberg
01-07-20, 21:02
County Lines

:hehe:

Tuerto
01-07-20, 21:03
St Francis (Ely) St Philip Evans(Llanedeyrn)

Senior-Lady Mary.

SLUDGE FACTORY
01-07-20, 21:07
Bryn Coch infants neath

St Mary's juniors bridgend

Mostyn ( mary immaculate ) Cardiff , first two years of comprehensive

Cowbridge Comp till end of sixth form

Then everything went down the shitter

Taunton Blue Genie
01-07-20, 21:26

Just progeny of parents who were always splitting up, domestic violence and all that malarkey.

The Hooded Claw
01-07-20, 21:50
Primary: Penygawsi
Secondary: Cowbridge

bobh
01-07-20, 21:51
Glyn coed, Ebbw Vale
Garnlydan
Risca
Bassaleg
Crosskeys
Newport
Stafford

binman
01-07-20, 22:31
Sherbourne
Eton

SLUDGE FACTORY
01-07-20, 22:45
Sherbourne
Eton

You are wasted on here

Quite literally

Hows life on trecati tip ?

xsnaggle
01-07-20, 23:17
St Mary's Canton Infants and Juniors
St Illtyds College Grammar Splott later St Mellons
University of Life (PhD in "I told you so")

Charles Bukowski
02-07-20, 00:04
Primary: Sarn Bach down the Llyn peninsular.
Secondary: Ysgol Friars Bangor.

lincoln blue
02-07-20, 05:13
Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg Pont Sion Norton, Pontypridd and Mill Street Scondary Pontypridd.

the other bob wilson
02-07-20, 05:21
Peterlea, Pentrebane (pupil number one of the school register there!) and Cantonian (spent most of my sixth form time there on the mitch mind).

Rock_Flock_of_Five
02-07-20, 05:27
Gabalfa infants
Gabalfa juniors
Glantaf (before it became a Welsh school).

splott parker
02-07-20, 05:48
Bryn Coch infants neath

St Mary's juniors bridgend

Mostyn ( mary immaculate ) Cardiff , first two years of comprehensive

Cowbridge Comp till end of sixth form

Then everything went down the shitter

You’re slipping Sludge, thought you were more of an ‘up the shitter’ chap?:hehe:

splott parker
02-07-20, 05:51
St Francis & Lady Mary are the leading Cardiff City schools so far.

Maxim
02-07-20, 06:02
Townhill for rough kids.

BLUETIT
02-07-20, 06:58
St Albans splott

St Illtyds in Splott first (when it was a great school), until it moved to Llanrumney/St Mellon’s. (never the same)

elytillidie
02-07-20, 07:06
St Francis and Mostyn.

Taunton Blue Genie
02-07-20, 07:13
My memory is getting hazier regarding such things but I think that mine were as follows:

Trelai Primary
Albany Road Primary
Caerau Lane
Adamsdown Junior (possibly)
Hywel Dda
Trelai Junior
Kitchener Road Primary
Monica Road Junior
Kitchener Junior
St Joesph's Junior (a catholic school!)
Trelai Junior (second stint)
Cyntwell
Cantonian

elytillidie
02-07-20, 07:40
My memory is getting hazier regarding such things but I think that mine were as follows:

Trelai Primary
Albany Road Primary
Caerau Lane
Adamsdown Junior (possibly)
Hywel Dda
Trelai Junior
Kitchener Road Primary
Monica Road Junior
Kitchener Junior
St Joesph's Junior (a catholic school!)
Trelai Junior (second stint)
Cyntwell
Cantonian

Was weird being in Mostyn for a while, as we took over Cyntwell and there was a mixture of us and the prods for a while, before they moved to Glyn Derw. Often had to trek to the Upper School for one lesson, then back to Cyntwell for another.

Taunton Blue Genie
02-07-20, 09:00
Was weird being in Mostyn for a while, as we took over Cyntwell and there was a mixture of us and the prods for a while, before they moved to Glyn Derw. Often had to trek to the Upper School for one lesson, then back to Cyntwell for another.

I didn't realise that the two schools merged. I went up the hill to look for Cyntwell school a number of years ago and it was noticeable by its absence - and houses seemed to be where it was previously located.
As for Glyn Derw, it was girls-only at the time and Cyntwell was boy-only. In fact, I remember the gym teacher, Mr Rodgers, telling us that if we descend the ropes too quickly we would end up in Glyn Derw.
I remember the kiddy-fiddler art teacher who upgraded pupil's marks they joined him in his storeroom, the married maths teacher having an affair with the secretary, the woodwork teacher who punished us by slapping our buttocks with a flat bat that he made for that very same purpose (and which he called 'The Clicky Bar', a literary reference) and a loony science teacher (who I think was also a pervert) who was obsessed with caning, so much so that he would let you decide how you would like your six canings administered: left hand, right hand, buttocks, thin cane, thick cane, medium cane or any combination thereof.
Mostyn used to hammer us at rugby. We had fourteen players (including me) who were no more than average and one singular,very aggressive thug who made up for about a handful of us. Sadly, it was not enough. I remember that someone in Mostyn's pack was obviously a garlic aficiando and that Cyntwell's pitch, which had obviously been levelled by removing a lot of the topsoil, was always very oily.
Good lord, I'm boring myself now....

xsnaggle
02-07-20, 09:28
Gabalfa infants
Gabalfa juniors
Glantaf (before it became a Welsh school).

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

xsnaggle
02-07-20, 09:32
St Albans splott

St Illtyds in Splott first (when it was a great school), until it moved to Llanrumney/St Mellon’s. (never the same)

I agree, and nowhere to buy chips in a bap either!!!!

Michael Morris
02-07-20, 09:36
St Francis and Mostyn.

me too.

splott parker
02-07-20, 09:41
I didn't realise that the two schools merged. I went up the hill to look for Cyntwell school a number of years ago and it was noticeable by its absence - and houses seemed to be where it was previously located.
As for Glyn Derw, it was girls-only at the time and Cyntwell was boy-only. In fact, I remember the gym teacher, Mr Rodgers, telling us that if we descend the ropes too quickly we would end up in Glyn Derw.
I remember the kiddy-fiddler art teacher who upgraded pupil's marks they joined him in his storeroom, the married maths teacher having an affair with the secretary, the woodwork teacher who punished us by slapping our buttocks with a flat bat that he made for that very same purpose (and which he called 'The Clicky Bar', a literary reference) and a loony science teacher (who I think was also a pervert) who was obsessed with caning, so much so that he would let you decide how you would like your six canings administered: left hand, right hand, buttocks, thin cane, thick cane, medium cane or any combination thereof.
Mostyn used to hammer us at rugby. We had fourteen players (including me) who were no more than average and one singular,very aggressive thug who made up for about a handful of us. Sadly, it was not enough. I remember that someone in Mostyn's pack was obviously a garlic aficiando and that Cyntwell's pitch, which had obviously been levelled by removing a lot of the topsoil, was always very oily.

Clicky Ba, that brought back memories of Chung in The Wolf of Kabul, he modified a cricket bat to use as a weapon. Was in The Wizard, I remember it from The Hotspur though. Apparently The Wolf of Kabul has appeared in other comics since.

xsnaggle
02-07-20, 09:43
Clicky Ba, that brought back memories of Chung in The Wolf of Kabul, he modified a cricket bat to use as a weapon. Was in The Wizard, I remember it from The Hotspur though. Apparently The Wolf of Kabul has appeared in other comics since.

I remember clicky Ba "Clicky Ba is ready boss!"

Rock_Flock_of_Five
02-07-20, 09:53
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

cyril evans awaydays
02-07-20, 10:01
Cwmaber and Caerphilly Grammar

Taunton Blue Genie
02-07-20, 10:18

Bang on. (I thought I edited out the erroneous 'r' I added to 'Clicky Ba')

xsnaggle
02-07-20, 10:22

Sorry the question was meant for Blue tit.

BLUETIT
02-07-20, 10:28
Sorry the question was meant for Blue tit.

69 in September :thumbup:

Body 69, head and heart 28 :hehe:

Do you want my bank details as well:hehe::hehe:

xsnaggle
02-07-20, 10:36
69 in September :thumbup:

Body 69, head and heart 28 :hehe:

Do you want my bank details as well:hehe::hehe:

Yes please, because my uncle just died in Nigeria and he had $53,000,000 he made me promise to give to a good man who would use it for public good, and as you're an old Illtydian you must be super-good..
did you know a boy in School named Ian Murphy, he was in your year or 1 ahead of you? (He isn't my uncle by the way)

bobh
02-07-20, 11:00
I remember it in Hotspur.
Strangely, when I was reading it all those years ago (mid 1960s I guess) my GRAN said she remembered it from years before (she had 4 sons). Been gouing a long time, it seems*.

* just googled - it first appeared in Wizard in 1922. They probably recycled the same stories every few years.

BLUETIT
02-07-20, 11:16
Yes please, because my uncle just died in Nigeria and he had $53,000,000 he made me promise to give to a good man who would use it for public good, and as you're an old Illtydian you must be super-good..
did you know a boy in School named Ian Murphy, he was in your year or 1 ahead of you? (He isn't my uncle by the way)

The Ian Murphy, I knew from St Albans/St Illtyds, lived in Tremorfa (off Twedsmuir Road)

I was told he passed away about 25 years ago (not confirmed though)

jeepster
02-07-20, 11:24
Junior Bryn Hafod
Senior Llanrumney High

xsnaggle
02-07-20, 11:38
The Ian Murphy, I knew from St Albans/St Illtyds, lived in Tremorfa (off Twedsmuir Road)

I just wondered. The one I mean was a year behind me. He drinks in my local. His fist year would have been Sep 62

BLUETIT
02-07-20, 11:55

I just wondered. The one I mean was a year behind me. He drinks in my local. His fist year would have been Sep 62

Sounds like the same one, Ian was in the same class as me.

What pub/area are you talking about ??

Obviously, I was misinformed about him !!!

xsnaggle
02-07-20, 11:59
Sounds like the same one, Ian was in the same class as me.

What pub/area are you talking about ??

Obviously, I was misinformed about him !!!

either the Malsters or the Butchers in Llandaff. I thought you'd have started in Sep 63 because of your birthday being after the holidays. I'm not sure this guy lived in Tremorfa. More likely he went to De la salle, he is a retired high court judge now and was a precscution and defence criminal barrister for years. ( QC ). nice fella and a mine of info if you have a problem :-)

BLUETIT
02-07-20, 12:08
either the Malsters or the Butchers in Llandaff. I thought you'd have started in Sep 63 because of your birthday being after the holidays. I'm not sure this guy lived in Tremorfa. More likely he went to De la salle, he is a retired high court judge now and was a precscution and defence criminal barrister for years. ( QC ). nice fella and a mine of info if you have a PROBLEM :-)

Can he sort out my “piles”:hehe:

Na, different fella by the sound of it. The Ian I knew, definitely went to St Albans. There were a lot of “spuds” around in those days (is it PC to call um that now :hehe:)

dandywarhol
02-07-20, 12:16
Usk borstal

Packerman
02-07-20, 12:35
Coedpenmaen infants/juniors Pontypridd Grammar School

poc
02-07-20, 12:41

would you be talking about flixo

Taunton Blue Genie
02-07-20, 12:45
would you be talking about flixo

I don't know which of my comments you are referring to but 'flixo' doesn't ring a bell for me whatsover, old fruit.

Heisenberg
02-07-20, 12:46
Barry Island Primary
Barry Boys Comprehensive

poc
02-07-20, 12:49
I don't know which of my comments you are referring to but 'flixo' doesn't ring a bell for me whatsover, old fruit.

science looney teacher

Elwood Blues
02-07-20, 13:03
either the Malsters or the Butchers in Llandaff. I thought you'd have started in Sep 63 because of your birthday being after the holidays. I'm not sure this guy lived in Tremorfa. More likely he went to De la salle, he is a retired high court judge now and was a precscution and defence criminal barrister for years. ( QC ). nice fella and a mine of info if you have a problem :-)

Haven't been to the Butchers since 1979.

Never the same after they put carpet on the floor!!

Taunton Blue Genie
02-07-20, 13:10
science looney teacher

The science loon's name rhymed with 'tool'.

Elwood Blues
02-07-20, 13:12
Tonyrywen infants and juniors

Heol Hir for two years
( I was in the first year in Cardiff after they scrapped the 11 plus. Cardiff had a strange system where they turned the old secondary moderns into junior high schools and you went there for two years and then went to one of the main high schools, unless you weren't good enough in which case you stayed in the junior high.
So effectively they stopped streaming at 11 and reintroduced it at 13,albeit in a less formal and more limited fashion).

Cathays High School 3rd form to Upper 6

Bobby Dandruff
02-07-20, 13:21
Lakeside Infant and Junior schools
Cardiff High (not the old grammar school on Newport Road, but the comp. at the end of Roath Park that was previously Ty Celyn)

Fatty Foggon
02-07-20, 13:58
The science loon's name rhymed with 'tool'.

From Goole wasn't he? The cane was automatic for knocking over your stool.

xsnaggle
02-07-20, 14:01

I never even thought od standing my stools up.

Taunton Blue Genie
02-07-20, 14:10

You fool.

Fatty Foggon
02-07-20, 17:26
You fool.
Deffo Form 1G & 2G then :)

beakerboyblue
02-07-20, 17:38
Cefn Onn Infants and juniors
Heol Hir High School then change to Llanishen high

splott parker
02-07-20, 17:38
Can he sort out my “piles”:hehe:

Na, different fella by the sound of it. The Ian I knew, definitely went to St Albans. There were a lot of “spuds” around in those days (is it PC to call um that now :hehe:)

Yep, the Ian Murphy that we know Tony passed away many years ago.

cantonboy
02-07-20, 18:06
St. Davids' RC infants and juniors
St. Illtyds' a year in splott (half a batch filled with chips) then St. Mellons. (Same year as BLUETIT)

Quite a character, he once 'acquired' me a racing bike from outside Woolies in Queen Street I believe...

BLUETIT
02-07-20, 18:07

Thought so Steve, as I was told by his girlfriend/or ex at the time.
In the 80’s I believe.

Baloo
02-07-20, 18:20
St Cyres, Penarth.

Park Life
02-07-20, 18:47
Ton Pentre infants and juniors
Treorchy Comp

splott parker
02-07-20, 18:47
QUOTE=BLUETIT;5093346]Thought so Steve, as I was told by his girlfriend/or ex at the time.
In the 80’s I believe.[/QUOTE]

I seem to remember that he had an accident or an illness that meant he was wheelchair bound for a time before he died.

Rjk
02-07-20, 18:48
Allensbank Primary, Coed Glas and Llanishen High

SLUDGE FACTORY
02-07-20, 20:22
science looney teacher

Physics teacher at mostyn , ely ?

Michael Morris
02-07-20, 20:48
science looney teacher

Mr Phillips was 'flixo' wasn't he. Seems to ring a bell.

At St Francis we had Mr Gibby who would crack the back of you knuckles with a ruler

Majorblue
02-07-20, 20:49
St Anne’s primary and Northumberland Park Comp in Tottenham and then Llantwit Major Comp.

SLUDGE FACTORY
02-07-20, 20:56

At St Francis we had Mr Gibby who would crack the back of you knuckles with a ruler

Physics teacher was flixo at mostyn

Music teacher was mr good who ponced around in a pair of clogs

Ackerman was maths but took us for football

Mr goods wife was science , very very sexy lady

Mrs Batchelor was geography , she had something about her

Michael Morris
02-07-20, 21:01
Physics teacher was flixo at mostyn

Music teacher was mr good who ponced around in a pair of clogs

Ackerman was maths but took us for football

Mr goods wife was science , very very sexy lady

Mrs Batchelor was geography , she had something about her

Flixo was chemistry. Perks was physics.

Mrs Good was like a sixties free love person. Very nice lady

Ackerman had a chin like Karl Malden's nose.

Miss Light was lovely. Don't mention the rest of the staff, as they were mostly my family.

SLUDGE FACTORY
02-07-20, 21:09

Miss Light was lovely. Don't mention the rest of the staff, as they were mostly my family.

Never mind lovely , she was very sexy and I let her know it

Mrs dungey lives by me , her daughter is attractive

Dont tell me you are related to her as well

Michael Morris
02-07-20, 21:11
Never mind lovely , she was very sexy and I let her know it

Mrs dungey lives by me , her daughter is attractive

Dont tell me you are related to her as well

yes I am. so reel it in.

SLUDGE FACTORY
02-07-20, 21:19
yes I am. so reel it in.

Jesus christ , bloody catholics

What I want to know is how mr good with his stupid clogs managed to pull mrs good

She was a belter

SLUDGE FACTORY
02-07-20, 21:23
Jesus christ , bloody catholics

What I want to know is how mr good with his stupid clogs managed to pull mrs good

She was a belter

Mr Mold and Mr Cleal Harding , PE

Pair of rugby nazis

Hence Ackerman taking us for football

We had a good side , I pulled the strings in midfield , crooky from the docks , our version of a hard drinking george best , even though he was only 13 , stuck them away

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
02-07-20, 21:36
There was a thread a while back about Whitchurch High - I think a few of us meandered through there at some stage. Birchgrove before that for me.

Harry Paget Flashman
02-07-20, 21:52
Coedpenmaen infants/juniors Pontypridd Grammar School

Coedpenmaen and Hawrthorn Comp for me.

Cyncoed Slumdog
02-07-20, 22:00
St. Germans CW Primary
Cardiff High for Boys, Newport Road.

Enoch Mort
02-07-20, 22:07
Eglwys Wen Primary (Fred Stansfield kept a newsagents nearby)

Whitchurch Grammar/High

MOZZER2
02-07-20, 22:08
Rumney High

splott parker
03-07-20, 06:15
Rumney High

It often is, the smell of the weed is very often overpowering :hehe:

lisvaneblue
03-07-20, 06:20
Ashchurch junior school
Tewkesbury Comp

Im off to the caravan park in Tewkesbury next week. Love the place.

Looking forward to a pint in The Bell and The Royal Hop Pole

My schools....Allensbank primary, then Ton-Yr-Ywen primary

Cathays High

William Treseder
03-07-20, 08:53
Herbert Thompson
Glan Ely

poc
03-07-20, 09:06
Physics teacher at mostyn , ely ?

flixo ,complete looney would be on the school bus from the docks every morning confiscatings fags and filling his cigarette case up:frown:

poc
03-07-20, 09:11

yep mike thats him

poc
03-07-20, 09:15

i never knew you were related to sister mary michael:hehe:

Rjk
03-07-20, 09:37
Infants / Junior - Coed Glas (Llanishen)
Secondary/Sixth Form - Cowbridge Comp

When were you at Coed Glas?

poc
03-07-20, 09:43

Pair of rugby nazis

We had a good side , I pulled the strings in midfield , crooky from the docks , our version of a hard drinking george best , even though he was only 13 , stuck them away
spent years on the beaches with crooky bloody good fisherman held the casting record for a while:thumbup:

light up the darkness
03-07-20, 09:49
Kitchener Road primary and junior

I’m surprised there’s not more on here that went to Kitchener Road

Canton High School for Boys for three years and then Cantonian without moving school

The Bloop
03-07-20, 10:06
Cefn Onn Primary then Llanishen High

BLUETIT
03-07-20, 10:11
flixo ,complete looney would be on the school bus from the docks every morning confiscatings fags and filling his cigarette case up:frown:

In St Illtyds, when it moved to Llanrumney, we used to have a geography teacher (Mr Hobbs), who would have a pint with us in the dinner hour, in the Fox & Hounds !!!
We had a mutual agreement, we wouldn’t tell on him , he wouldn’t tell on us :hehe:

splott parker
03-07-20, 12:19
In St Illtyds, when it moved to Llanrumney, we used to have a geography teacher (Mr Hobbs), who would have a pint with us in the dinner hour, in the Fox & Hounds !!!
We had a mutual agreement, we wouldn’t tell on him , he wouldn’t tell on us :hehe:

St Illtyds....Llanrumney???

BLUETIT
03-07-20, 12:33
St Illtyds....Llanrumney???

Debatable :hehe: we used to go to Countisbury shops, Llanrumney, the pub in Trowbridge (I can never remember the name of it), + The Fox & Hounds in St Mellon’s.

Always caught the 44 bus, which was Llanrumney

Where’s the border ???

Rock_Flock_of_Five
03-07-20, 12:48
Debatable :hehe: we used to go to Countisbury shops, Llanrumney, the pub in Trowbridge (I can never remember the name of it), + The Fox & Hounds in St Mellon’s.

Where’s the border ???

Newport Road.

xsnaggle
03-07-20, 13:08
Newport Road.

St Illtyd's wasn't it and isn't in Rumney or Llanrumney, its in St Melons !!
I was told that when we moved there. Far to posh to be the other two.

But....... on its website it givers the postal address as Rumney

xsnaggle
03-07-20, 13:09

Where’s the border ???

uuuhh! The bridge!! doh! :hehe:

Rock_Flock_of_Five
03-07-20, 13:12

Its playing fields backed onto Rumney High school.

Elwood Blues
03-07-20, 13:46
Cefn Onn Primary then Llanishen High

When were you in Cefn Onn?

BLUETIT
03-07-20, 13:48
Its playing fields backed onto Rumney High school.

Caer- Castell in our day :thumbup:

Some lovely ladies (:hehe:) went there :thumbup:

Elwood Blues
03-07-20, 13:50

Pair of rugby nazis

Haven't seen Jerry Cleall Harding for years

The Bloop
03-07-20, 14:09
When were you in Cefn Onn?

Left in 79. You?

bobh
03-07-20, 15:41

I live in St Mellons, but websites often list my address as Trowbridge.

Elwood Blues
03-07-20, 17:18
Left in 79. You?

My kids were there from 1985 when my daughter started nursery.

I was Chair of Governors there in the 90's and early 00's

BlueToujours
03-07-20, 17:36

I remember Hobbs. I think that he went on an Antarctic expedition with Vivian Fuchs in the Fifties. I seem to recall him showing us a film of him there. Bit of a character although there were a few at the time I was there. Pedro Welch and his brother, Edgar, who would walk down the corridors shouting "Gangway, Naval Officer" and any kid who got in the way would get a smack across the head!! Happy Days!

St Peters for my Infant and Junior Schools.

BLUETIT
03-07-20, 17:54
I remember Hobbs. I think that he went on an Antarctic expedition with Vivian Fuchs in the Fifties. I seem to recall him showing us a film of him there. Bit of a character although there were a few at the time I was there. Pedro Welch and his brother, Edgar, who would walk down the corridors shouting "Gangway, Naval Officer" and any kid who got in the way would get a smack across the head!! Happy Days!

Remember all of them and your right about Hobbs showing the film of him on that trip.

Can you remember Edgar chinning brother Augustine, in an argument about his brother ??

How old are you, won’t ask your name as some don’t like giving it out on here, but where did you live at the time

BlueToujours
03-07-20, 18:04
Was at St Illtyd's 1959-64 so always at the Splott site. Lived in Roath. Don't recall the incident but I wish the same had happened to Bro. Claude. Grade A sadist imo.

Malckent
03-07-20, 18:05
Windsor Clive, infants and juniors. High school was Glen Ely, we were the first pupils in a brand new school.

William Treseder
03-07-20, 18:11
Windsor Clive, infants and juniors. High school was Glen Ely, we were the first pupils in a brand new school.
Our old school has just been demolished!

William Treseder
03-07-20, 18:12
Peterlea, Pentrebane (pupil number one of the school register there!) and Cantonian (spent most of my sixth form time there on the mitch mind).
Joe Ledley’s old school

Taff in Tala
03-07-20, 18:45
Remember all of them and your right about Hobbs showing the film of him on that trip.

Can you remember Edgar chinning brother Augustine, in an argument about his brother ??

How old are you, won’t ask your name as some don’t like giving it out on here, but where did you live at the time

For my sins my schooling was St.Josephs Infants, De La Salle Juniors and then St.illtyds (one year in Splott followed by Rumney). I too remember those teachers. Wasn’t Jack Hobbs Antarctic explorer mate Wally Herbert?

I don’t recall the Brother Augustine/Edgar Welch incident but do recall that a pupil nutted Augustine aka ‘Block Head’ or have I made that up?!

BLUETIT
03-07-20, 19:35
For my sins my schooling was St.Josephs Infants, De La Salle Juniors and then St.illtyds (one year in Splott followed by Rumney). I too remember those teachers. Wasn’t Jack Hobbs Antarctic explorer mate Wally Herbert?

I don’t recall the Brother Augustine/Edgar Welch incident but do recall that a pupil nutted Augustine aka ‘Block Head’ or have I made that up?!

I think “block head” was brother Adrian, and KM, from Cathays whacked him with a sock full of golf balls

PS:——- from your years and location, I bet I know you

life on mars
03-07-20, 19:38
I wonder what infants, junior and senior schools messageboarders attended and which ones would be top of the list?

Mine are infants-St Francis (Ely), junior- St Albans (Splott) & senior-Lady Mary.

Great thread : Pen Y Bryn Junior, Llanrumney ( Borstal ) High School ,survived the lot with scars ,lol 😀

life on mars
03-07-20, 19:43

Where’s the border ???
In St Mellons old Village you had the Bluebell, White Hart ,The Starr , then across the road the Fox n Hounds ,good old Countisbury Shops was the Infamous Goodies , and Llanrumney Hall ,good old fighting lands .

life on mars
03-07-20, 19:51
[QUOTE=Majorblue;5093411]St Anne’s primary and Northumberland Park Comp in Tottenham and then Llantwit Major Comp.[/QUOT

Gosh that's a leap and I guess a different types of school experience??

Elwood Blues
03-07-20, 19:56
Cefn Onn Infants and juniors
Heol Hir High School then change to Llanishen high

What year did you go to Heol Hir. Did the name change when you were there, can't remember when it was.

splott parker
03-07-20, 19:58
In St Mellons old Village you had the Bluebell, White Hart ,The Starr , then across the road the Fox n Hounds ,good old Countisbury Shops was the Infamous Goodies , and Llanrumney Hall ,good old fighting lands .

The nearest pub to St Illtyds hasn’t had a mention yet......The Witla Court, an old mansion house on the Witla Court estate which was a pub from the 60s to the 80s, demolished now.

Taff in Tala
03-07-20, 20:04
I think “block head” was brother Adrian, and KM, from Cathays whacked him with a sock full of golf balls

PS:——- from your years and location, I bet I know you

Ah yes your correct Block Head was Brother Adrian! I agree and I should know you. I had an elder brother three years ahead of me if that’s a clue.

BLUETIT
03-07-20, 20:17
Ah yes your correct Block Head was Brother Adrian! I agree and I should know you. I had an elder brother three years ahead of me if that’s a clue.

Na, brain not working :hehe:

If you went to St Joe’s, you may know the names Francis Couchlin, Kevin maunder, Peter scully

Taff in Tala
03-07-20, 20:46
Na, brain not working :hehe:

If you went to St Joe’s, you may know the names Francis Couchlin, Kevin maunder, Peter scully

I was only in St.Joe’s for a year but I remember the names as mentioned. Francis’s father was a police officer, same as my father was. Kevin was a bit of a lad as I recall and Peter Scully I remember. Lots of others, Keith Chadwick, Michael Dee, Dodger Wright, Verdun Thorne.......I could go on. :hehe:

BLUETIT
03-07-20, 20:49
I was only in St.Joe’s for a year but I remember the names as mentioned. Francis’s father was a police officer, same as my father was. Kevin was a bit of a lad as I recall and Peter Scully I remember. Lots of others, Keith Chadwick, Michael Dee, Dodger Wright, Verdun Thorne.......I could go on. :hehe:

Gotta know you :thumbup:

xsnaggle
03-07-20, 22:37

The Welchs were my cousins. They used to call Pedro Pedro Belch because there is no W in spanish, which he used to teach.
Hobbs wrote an end of term Geography lesson for our term and threw the sheet thing he used for printing it on an old roller machine in the bin. It was found. I think we all got 99%

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-07-20, 22:39
i never knew you were related to sister mary michael:hehe:

Used to fancy her

Sister catherine was the butcher

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-07-20, 22:42
spent years on the beaches with crooky bloody good fisherman held the casting record for a while:thumbup:

That was paul , monsters older brother

Sold my welsh wizard conoflex to him , good bloke

StraightOuttaCanton
04-07-20, 03:51
St Cyres, Penarth.

Ditto

BLUETIT
04-07-20, 05:32
The Welchs were my cousins. They used to call Pedro Pedro Belch because there is no W in spanish, which he used to teach.
Hobbs wrote an end of term Geography lesson for our term and threw the sheet thing he used for printing it on an old roller machine in the bin. It was found. I think we all got 99%

Were any of you Old Illtydians in Hobb’s class, when he spent the whole double period taking bets on what the name of the ship being launched would be.

Think it was 67, the QE2

Funny as F uck. A great teacher though, he’d “been there, done that”

BlueToujours
04-07-20, 07:48

Pedro taught me Spanish. As a relative you may be able to confirm or deny his often repeated statement that he was related to Francisco Gento (Spain and Real Madrid) by marriage. As a kid I took it as gospel but I have often wondered if it was just normal BS.

Carl Dale's Mole
04-07-20, 08:16
Whitchurch.

The year above Bale etc.

I thought our year was more talented. I thought Mousey and Scruff would become stars but their year ended up having Gareth Bale, Geraint Thomas, Sam Warburton, Elliot Kear and more.

xsnaggle
04-07-20, 08:32
Pedro taught me Spanish. As a relative you may be able to confirm or deny his often repeated statement that he was related to Francisco Gento (Spain and Real Madrid) by marriage. As a kid I took it as gospel but I have often wondered if it was just normal BS.

I beleive it was so. his wife was the Daughter of the Spanish Consul in Wales. But I can't confirm 100%

CCFCC3PO
04-07-20, 09:03
Abertillery Comp.

We had a teacher who a girl in our year fancied. He was just starting as a teacher, so about 22/23 I would guess. She was 11. She used to stay in his class to help - and we used to take the piss. Eventually he left his wife for her not long after she left school.

We also had an alcoholic English teacher, once saw him in Leo's in Ebbw Vale stocking up on booze. We joined just as caning was banned, but he was a wicked shot with a board rubber, even when pissed. He'd often have a kip in the corner while we read books, but was sacked once caught a second time.

poc
04-07-20, 09:50
That was paul , monsters older brother

Sold my welsh wizard conoflex to him , good bloke

you got them both:thumbup:must have met you somewhere along the coast used to fish with cardiff sea anglers they were then based in splott and cardiff foreshore was the home beach

Vindec
04-07-20, 09:56
Was St Illtyds buiding in Rumney formerly Caer Castel?

BLUETIT
04-07-20, 09:57
NO
Was St Illtyds buiding in Rumney formerly Caer Castel?

NO

Vindec
04-07-20, 10:30
NO

NO

Thanks. Does Caer Castell still exist? Had past dealings with the nightschool there very many years ago.

splott parker
04-07-20, 13:06
Thanks. Does Caer Castell still exist? Had past dealings with the nightschool there very many years ago.

Knocked down, just a pile of recycled hardcore now, large plot of land, ripe for developing and increasing Newport Rd traffic.

Splott-light...
04-07-20, 17:34

Moorland Road then around the corner to Willows High, passing Margies for a ten pence mixture on the way

life on mars
04-07-20, 19:18
The nearest pub to St Illtyds hasn’t had a mention yet......The Witla Court, an old mansion house on the Witla Court estate which was a pub from the 60s to the 80s, demolished now.

Yes ,forgot that , and the pubs near the County Cinema

life on mars
04-07-20, 19:19

I played Basketball for them .

Packerman
04-07-20, 20:18

was at coedpenmsen from 63-69

Harry Paget Flashman
04-07-20, 21:17
I wasn’t born until 75.

If you are from Trallwn my family lived on Bonvilston Rd, Thurston Rd, Berw Rd and Scarborough Rd

G rangetown Blue
04-07-20, 22:42
St.Pats...Mostyn

Feedback
04-07-20, 23:14
St Philip Evans
St Francis
St Mary's
St Francis
Mostyn

Pontprennau Bluebird
05-07-20, 06:21
Moorland Road Junior School (Splott)

Willows High ( Tremorfa)

BLUETIT
05-07-20, 07:25
Moorland Road Junior School (Splott)

Willows High ( Tremorfa)

I’ve forgotten the name of the junior school by Splott Baths (senior moment :hehe:)
What was it please ???

Cyncoed Slumdog
05-07-20, 08:07
Haven't seen Jerry Cleall Harding for years
Jamie! I used to play rugby with him. He drifted off after he finished playing and I haven't seen him for years either.

Cyncoed Slumdog
05-07-20, 08:09
I’ve forgotten the name of the junior school by Splott Baths (senior moment :hehe:)
What was it please ???

It was either Tremorfa Junior and Infants or Moorland Primary. Might be both!

splott parker
05-07-20, 09:57
What was it please ???

Baden Powell

xsnaggle
05-07-20, 09:58
What was it please ???

Splott baths Juniors? :shrug::getscoat:

BLUETIT
05-07-20, 10:00
Baden Powell

:thumbup:

Is it still a school (that's twice you've sorted my brain out :hehe:)

Don Corleone
05-07-20, 10:02

Me too, as was Binman

2 years unbeaten at 6th form rugby, crap A-level results mind!

splott parker
05-07-20, 10:09
[QUOTE=BLUETIT;5094397]:thumbup:

Is it still a school (that's twice you've sorted my brain out :hehe:)[/QUOTE

Yep, still a school.

xsnaggle
05-07-20, 10:19
[QUOTE=BLUETIT;5094397]:thumbup:

Is it still a school (that's twice you've sorted my brain out :hehe:)[/QUOTE

Yep, still a school.

That place annoys me. Next door to it is a council house boarded up and garden full of about z5 years of untouched undergrowth. When I asked why I was told it’s the caretakers house. But it has been vacant for so long no one can remember the name of the last caretaker.
How many people are there on the council housing list.

BLUETIT
05-07-20, 10:29
[QUOTE=splott parker;5094400]

That place annoys me. Next door to it is a council house boarded up and garden full of about z5 years of untouched undergrowth. When I asked why I was told it’s the caretakers house. But it has been vacant for so long no one can remember the name of the last caretaker.

Council are too busy blocking roads off, to worry about a little thing, like housing. :frown:

xsnaggle
05-07-20, 10:51
[QUOTE=xsnaggle;5094405]

Council are too busy blocking roads off, to worry about a little thing, like housing. :frown:

You can’t be saying things like that. Housing and business has to take a very low place in the pecking order when it comes to blocking off the city centre . Where are your priorities man?

jeepster
05-07-20, 11:11
[QUOTE=splott parker;5094400]

Jeff Williams i think.

xsnaggle
05-07-20, 11:24
[QUOTE=xsnaggle;5094405]

Jeff Williams i think.

There now or the last one? The house is closed with the windows caged and the garden gate chained shut. It been like it for years, I know.

jeepster
05-07-20, 11:28
[QUOTE=jeepster;5094427]

There now or the last one? The house is closed with the windows caged and the garden gate chained shut. It been like it for years, I know.

Years ago Jeff has now passed away.What a lovely house wonder how much it is worth?

xsnaggle
05-07-20, 11:39
[QUOTE=xsnaggle;5094434]

Years ago Jeff has now passed away.What a lovely house wonder how much it is worth?

Its a council house. On the open market probably about £200K, they are well built and generally bigger inside than privately built houses. It is in Tremorfa. :hehe:

jeepster
05-07-20, 11:50
[QUOTE=jeepster;5094436]

Its a council house. On the open market probably about £200K, they are well built and generally bigger inside than privately built houses. It is in Tremorfa. :hehe:

Cheeky :biggrin:

xsnaggle
05-07-20, 12:00
[QUOTE=xsnaggle;5094445]

Cheeky :biggrin:

Moi? :hehe:

ElyBlu
05-07-20, 12:21
Pentrebane Primary

Cantonian

SLUDGE FACTORY
05-07-20, 13:46
you got them both:thumbup:must have met you somewhere along the coast used to fish with cardiff sea anglers they were then based in splott and cardiff foreshore was the home beach

He fishes for sea view in barry now I think