PDA

View Full Version : World Cup draw today - UPDATED

Don Corleone
07-12-20, 14:05
Quick reminder , the World Cup draw for qualification is on today around 5pm. Don’t think it’s on TV, just the FIFA website

Be nice not to have to play Republic of Ireland yet again!

Pedro de la Rosa
07-12-20, 14:29
Hope we can avoid one of the major powers.
Dream scenario:
Denmark
Wales
NI
Luxembourg
Andorra

Nightmare:
Belgium
Wales
ROI (should be Russia but I can't deal with another ROI game)
Bosnia
Kosovo

PhyllisStant
07-12-20, 16:29
Hope we can avoid one of the major powers.
Dream scenario:
Denmark
Wales
NI
Luxembourg
Andorra

Nightmare:
Belgium
Wales
ROI (should be Russia but I can't deal with another ROI game)
Bosnia
Kosovo

It's pot 4 that's vital. The group looks totally different with Luxembourg as opposed to Bosnia!

Fatty Foggon
07-12-20, 16:48
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/54916539

PhyllisStant
07-12-20, 17:20
Jesus - how complicated! Weather condition, travel, political tensions.

Michael Morris
07-12-20, 17:26
Group A
Portugal
Serbia
Republic of Ireland
Luxembourg
Azerbaijan

Group B
Spain
Sweden
Greece
Georgia
Kosovo

Group C
Italy
Switzerland
Northern Ireland
Bulgaria
Lithuania

Group D
France
Ukraine
Finland
Bosnia
Kazakhstan

Group E
Belgium
Wales
Czech Republic
Belarus
Estonia

Group F
Denmark
Austria
Scotland
Israel
Faroe Islands
Moldova

Group G
Netherlands
Turkey
Norway
Montenegro
Latvia
Gibraltar

Group H
Croatia
Slovakia
Russia
Slovenia
Cyprus
Malta

Group I
England
Poland
Hungary
Albania
Andorra
San Marino

Group J
Germany
Romania
Iceland
North Macedonia
Armenia
Liechtenstein

City123
07-12-20, 17:29
Belgium, we meet again...

Michael Morris
07-12-20, 17:29
Belgium, Wales, Czech Republic, Belarus, Estonia

Michael Morris
07-12-20, 17:33
Thank **** we don't play Ireland this time

PhyllisStant
07-12-20, 17:34
looking like a difficult task for us already. And how jammy are Scotland!

PontBlue
07-12-20, 17:36
Can we swap with Austria!

MacAdder
07-12-20, 17:36
Scotland the best draw of the home nations, gonna be tough for us.

PontBlue
07-12-20, 17:37
Czech Republic any good these days? Surprised to see them in pot 3

MacAdder
07-12-20, 17:38
Belarus :facepalm:

FFS... these restrictions have made our group horrendous!

PontBlue
07-12-20, 17:39
Glad to end up with Belarus and not Bosnia

City123
07-12-20, 17:39
Got away with that one! Belarus ahead of Bosnia

billy.ronson
07-12-20, 17:40
Scotland the best draw of the home nations, gonna be tough for us.

At least we are not playing ROI ...........again !! :wales:

Madassa
07-12-20, 17:41
Got away with that one! Belarus ahead of Bosnia

Because of the weather ? :shrug:

life on mars
07-12-20, 17:41
Belgium, Wales, Czech Republic, Belarus

Wales are a more efficient competitive team nowadays ,have come a long way ,those sides will be saying oooh not Wales rather Scotland

billy.ronson
07-12-20, 17:42
Scotland’s group got a little tougher , no walkover for England either

Madassa
07-12-20, 17:42
Because of the weather ? :shrug:

And again Estonia ?

billy.ronson
07-12-20, 17:44
Thank **** we don't play Ireland this time

I agree Mike, that was a country I didn’t want to see us play .......again! :wales:

Taunton Blue Genie
07-12-20, 17:46
Damn! I was hoping for us to draw Kazakhstan* or the Faroe Islands as I have been to every other country in the draw.

*I had tickets for Kazakhstan in May but had to abort for obvious reasons.

NYCBlue
07-12-20, 17:47
Sorry to see Belgium again, they can only underachieve for so long.

billy.ronson
07-12-20, 17:49
Scotland’s group got a little tougher , no walkover for England either

Then they get Andorra and San Marino

billy.ronson
07-12-20, 17:50
Good news we are in 5 team group?

Don Corleone
07-12-20, 17:50
Could have been better, could have been worse. You can imagine all the Belgian fans saying bollox, not Wales again!!

MacAdder
07-12-20, 17:52
Wales are a more efficient competitive team nowadays ,have come a long way ,those sides will be saying oooh not Wales rather Scotland

Yes it's won't be impossible to get out of the group but rubbish trips though.
Was hoping for a bit of current bun :cry:
Us and Czech Republic for second as Belgium red hot faves.

OurManFlint II
07-12-20, 17:53
Could have been better, could have been worse. You can imagine all the Belgian fans saying bollox, not Wales again!!

What i was thinking. Would have been nice to get over to Estonia but can't really see any foreign travel

MacAdder
07-12-20, 17:54
Good news we are in 5 team group?

I was wondering that.
I thought I'd rather be in a 6 but less games must be better for the players, and more importantly their clubs.

Pearcey3
07-12-20, 17:54
Should we fear Belgium? We took four points off them in qualifying for 2016 and then beat them in the quarter finals.

MacAdder
07-12-20, 17:55
At least we are not playing ROI ...........again !! :wales:

Yes, be thankful for small mercies I suppose

Eric the Half a Bee
07-12-20, 17:56
I was wondering that.
I thought I'd rather be in a 6 but less games must be better for the players, and more importantly their clubs.

Uefa will schedule friendlies when the others have competitive games.

Taunton Blue Genie
07-12-20, 17:56
Have the FAW done anything to counter the activity whereby those who are high up on the list for away tickets continue purchasing them even when they don't attend (in order to protect their place in the pecking order over the longer term)? I believe that the English FA ensure that it doesn't happen by distributing the tickets in the away locations before the games.

the other bob wilson
07-12-20, 17:57
Belgium won't be pleased to be meeting us again, but, realistically, we'll be going for second place and I don't think we've got a bad draw there - if we can get our big players on the pitch more than we often do, we can definitely get into the Play Offs.

OurManFlint II
07-12-20, 17:58
Have the FAW done anything to counter the activity whereby those who are high up on the list for away tickets continue purchasing them even when they don't attend (in order to protect their place in the pecking order over the longer term)? I believe that the English FA ensure that it doesn't happen by distributing the tickets in the away locations before the games.

I still don't believe that happens as people moan about. Generally speaking most fans travelling get tickets on merit

MacAdder
07-12-20, 17:59
Uefa will schedule friendlies when the others have competitive games.

Ah yes. Chance to see our seconds I suppose as I'd imagine a few cry off.

Saying that, it might be a chance to actually get a game for some our first teamers with many currently on the bench for their clubs!

Pearcey3
Belgium won't be pleased to be meeting us again, but, realistically, we'll be going for second place and I don't think we've got a bad draw there - if we can get our big players on the pitch more than we often do, we can definitely get into the Play Offs.

We will probably be in the play offs anyway. We can win the group. Belgium have not beaten us in the past four competitive matches.

Taunton Blue Genie
I still don't believe that happens as people moan about. Generally speaking most fans travelling get tickets on merit

I have witnessed if myself, old fruit.

OurManFlint II
07-12-20, 18:08

what you talking here, 1 or 2 people for 1 or 2 games?
Its just your tone asking if the FAW are doing anything about it suggested to me that you suspect its wide spread.

chris lee
07-12-20, 18:09
so do the top 2 qualify for the world cup ?

cyril evans awaydays
07-12-20, 18:11

It obviously was a problem. I went to the Albania friendly where tickets were about a fiver. Though the Wales allocation sold out the end was half-full.

The last qualifying campaigns had smallish stadia so there was an issue with limited allocations that people not travelling might harvest the points. In Croatia and Hungary there were checks of the name on the ticket against an original passport. People were turned away who had their mate's tickets.

In Slovakia and Azerbaijan there was a 100% ticket collection in a hotel in the destination with potential sanctions and loyalty point loss where the tickets weren't collected.

Michael Morris
07-12-20, 18:12
We have a play off place guaranteed already through our Nations League heroics.

So it's 1st place or nothing, we don't need to play for second.

Michael Morris
07-12-20, 18:13
so do the top 2 qualify for the world cup ?

top team only.

10 second place teams get a play off place (but we already have a play off place guaranteed)

Der Kaiser
07-12-20, 18:14
We're basically in the playoffs already anyway. Can afford to play a little gung-ho against Belgium.

Moodybluebird
07-12-20, 18:18
Think that England will get through regardless of who they've drawn, so not too concerned about them. A few on here believe Scotland have an easy draw. Not too sure about that. Denmark are way better than them and Austria and Israel will make it a tough ask to qualify. Good luck to them though.

delmbox
07-12-20, 18:27
Should we fear Belgium? We took four points off them in qualifying for 2016 and then beat them in the quarter finals.

We should yes, we're decent but they're the number 1 team in the world

the other bob wilson
07-12-20, 18:34
Think that England will get through regardless of who they've drawn, so not too concerned about them. A few on here believe Scotland have an easy draw. Not too sure about that. Denmark are way better than them and Austria and Israel will make it a tough ask to qualify. Good luck to them though.

I'd say Poland were the toughest team in Pot 2 and the term "luck of the Irish" should be changed to "luck of the Scots" when it comes to football.

Taunton Blue Genie
07-12-20, 18:35
what you talking here, 1 or 2 people for 1 or 2 games?
Its just your tone asking if the FAW are doing anything about it suggested to me that you suspect its wide spread.

I am aware that it goes on but I have no idea how widespread it is. As someone who is keen to attend more away games (but can't always get tickets) it was a legitimate question and was about something that other football authorities make efforts to counter.
Try re-reading my missives in a more relaxed 'tone', old fruit.....

The Bloop
07-12-20, 18:36

Scotland have recently lost to Israel (and drawn twice) so dont think they'll be too keen to be playing them again. Cant see Scotland finishing second in that group.

Taunton Blue Genie
07-12-20, 18:37
It obviously was a problem. I went to the Albania friendly where tickets were about a fiver. Though the Wales allocation sold out the end was half-full.

The last qualifying campaigns had smallish stadia so there was an issue with limited allocations that people not travelling might harvest the points. In Croatia and Hungary there were checks of the name on the ticket against an original passport. People were turned away who had their mate's tickets.

In Slovakia and Azerbaijan there was a 100% ticket collection in a hotel in the destination with potential sanctions and loyalty point loss where the tickets weren't collected.

Sound very positive then. Thanks for the reply.

delmbox
07-12-20, 18:48
Sound very positive then. Thanks for the reply.

Not sure that tone's needed TBG

Taunton Blue Genie
07-12-20, 18:55
Not sure that tone's needed TBG

:hehe: Funnily enough, 'Taunton' means 'Tone Town', the 'Tone' being the river that runs through the town........

Toadstool
07-12-20, 19:00
I think England’s group
Is not that good - they are basically in a group of three - the winner of the group will probably have to win all their matches.

surge
07-12-20, 19:51
Group of 5 meaning we have a friendly in the March 2021 and September 2021 international window? I think that is a positive, as long as we don't get an invite from England again, though it of course means playing one of the harder pot one teams.

Has anyone pointed out that Switzerland and Italy have been drawn together in our Euros group and now again?

surge
07-12-20, 19:59
top team only.

10 second place teams get a play off place (but we already have a play off place guaranteed)

France and Belgium have guaranteed a play-off place but as long as they and one of Italy and Spain finish in in top two of their World Cup qualifying groups, we have a fallback option into the play-offs. If all five teams now mentioned finish in top two then fallback option play-offs goes to Austria and the Czech Republic.

Des Parrot
07-12-20, 21:31
https://twitter.com/We_Global/status/1336016372053274628/photo/1

This explains it

3 of the top 7 potential play-off teams in one group.

City123
07-12-20, 21:51
Yes it's won't be impossible to get out of the group but rubbish trips though.
Was hoping for a bit of current bun :cry:
Us and Czech Republic for second as Belgium red hot faves.
Rubbish trips? Its Brussels, Prague, Tallinn and Minsk!

MacAdder
07-12-20, 21:55
Rubbish trips? Its Brussels, Prague, Tallinn and Minsk!

Done Prague and Brussels, I'll take Tallin though and possibly Minsk. I suppose the sun may come out.

cyril evans awaydays
07-12-20, 22:03
https://twitter.com/We_Global/status/1336016372053274628/photo/1

This explains it

3 of the top 7 potential play-off teams in one group.

In the play off semi-finals, which are one off, the top six best ranked runners up get home ties. If we get in the play-offs via the Nations League we will be one of the two lowest seeds and play the semi away. There is an incentive to try and finish at least second in the group, though no guarantee that we will be one of the best six.

Michael Morris
07-12-20, 23:47
France and Belgium have guaranteed a play-off place but as long as they and one of Italy and Spain finish in in top two of their World Cup qualifying groups, we have a fallback option into the play-offs. If all five teams now mentioned finish in top two then fallback option play-offs goes to Austria and the Czech Republic.

sorry, yes we have a play off place providing some top teams make the top two of their group

Taunton Blue Genie
08-12-20, 05:44
Has anyone gambled on booking flights for the re-arranged Euro 2020 games in Baku that are meant to take place next June?

cyril evans awaydays
08-12-20, 09:44
Has anyone gambled on booking flights for the re-arranged Euro 2020 games in Baku that are meant to take place next June?

Yeah, though probably throwing good money after bad. Out via Kiev, back through Istanbul to Rome then up to Bologna and home. Less than 50% chance of all those links working but sometimes it is just worth doing something to look forward to.

surge
08-12-20, 10:39
Best analyis I've seen from 3 Welsh people on twitter under this page: https://twitter.com/thehuwdavies

It's all about nicking top spot from Belgium, because Wales' play-off place is all but guaranteed:

1st = qualified
2nd = play-off
3rd or below = play-off unless TWO of France, Italy & Spain finish 3rd or below in their groups.

(Our opponents: Belgium, Czechia, Belarus, Estonia)

Retweet: Not even drawing with Belgium twice or winning one and losing is good enough. They will thrash us on goal difference with the other teams in the group.We have to win one game and draw the other against them. Not daunting at all (ends)

"But wait," I hear you ask, because in my imagination I pull the strings – "what benefit is there for Wales to finish 2nd rather than 3rd or worse?" Well, the play-offs are seeded, idiot, and the six best runners-up will play their semi-final at home (the finals' hosts are drawn)

that isn't necessarily a good thing. Would I fancy us to win a semi and then final against, say, Poland and then Switzerland, or Sweden and then Serbia (all likely opponents) especially if we're away in one or both? Not especially. We can, but I don't know that we would.

And the weird thing about it is that all we can do to change that is a) top the group, which is a huge ask as the tiebreaker is GD and not H2H, or b) do well enough to at least earn a home tie in the play-offs. One poor early result could almost render the other games moot.

I'm still positive, believe it or not, and looking forward to our matches. It just feels odd that our future seems predestined, as one of only two things can happen: we finish ahead of Belgium on points (we won't do it on GD), or face a decent side in the playoffs. Ah well.

2nd Retweet: Missing out on GD when Wales Women missed out on HTH would annoy me a lot. (ends)

Basically, Wales need to win as many games as possible for next two years and any diversion from winning every game means we're looking at other teams and the rule book for that specific competition. Same as ever then.

Rjk
08-12-20, 11:15
The Czechs are very likely to get a playoff spot as well, due to being drawn in the same group as us and they were the 7th highest finisher in nation's league, so if the 4 highest ones don't finish 3rd or lower in their groups and we finish 2nd then the Czechs are in the playoffs as well.

If I've understood that right

PhyllisStant
08-12-20, 16:02
Scotland draw is VERY kind. And I speak as a Welshy from a huge Scottish family. Denmark are obviously miles better than them as they are from pool 1. But they were arguably the easiest pick from that pool. And considering Scotland were in pool 3 - to have a real chance of winning the group is very fortunate indeed I’d say.

Rjk
08-12-20, 16:06
Scotland draw is VERY kind. And I speak as a Welshy from a huge Scottish family. Denmark are obviously miles better than them as they are from pool 1. But they were arguably the easiest pick from that pool. And considering Scotland were in pool 3 - to have a real chance of winning the group is very fortunate indeed I’d say.

Yes it's an easy group - not that it'll matter ultimately.

Pearcey3
08-12-20, 17:48
Yes it's an easy group - not that it'll matter ultimately.

I don’t think it is. People under-estimate Denmark. They did the double over us in the Nations League. They are streetwise and very organised. Austria are a decent outfit too. Israel did well against the Scots recently too.

MacAdder
08-12-20, 18:28
The Czechs are very likely to get a playoff spot as well, due to being drawn in the same group as us and they were the 7th highest finisher in nation's league, so if the 4 highest ones don't finish 3rd or lower in their groups and we finish 2nd then the Czechs are in the playoffs as well.

If I've understood that right

:facepalm:
My brain hurts :hehe:

surge
08-12-20, 19:40
Fixtures order has been released now: https://twitter.com/TheWelshDragon9/status/1336372574398406656

March #WCQ

24th v Belgium (A)
27th/28th v FRIENDLY
30th v Czech (H)

June EURO2020

12th v Switzerland
16th v Turkey
20th v Italy

Sept #WCQ
1st/2nd v FRIENDLY
5th v Belarus(A)
8th v Estonia (H)

Oct #WCQ
8th v Czech (A)
11th v Estonia (A)

Nov #WCQ
13th v Belarus (H)
16th v Belgium(H)

That is a huge, huge series of games in March 2021 now. Really hope fans are back in the stadium by then and our players are rested but in form, and their players are tired/out of form.

surge
08-12-20, 19:47
Belgium’s last four qualifying campaigns: P40 W34 D5 L1 F125 A18 GD+107. Wales were responsible for two of their draws and the only defeat.

https://twitter.com/thehuwdavies/status/1336263073137643521

Please let the hoodoo last one more year!!

Kind of Blue
08-12-20, 20:26
That’s a tough start to the campaign that, one of the worst we could’ve been given next to the reverse of those fixtures.

Good chance we’ll know whether we’ll be in with any shout of topping the group or trying to secure 2nd by the time the euros come around.

Pontprennau Bluebird
09-12-20, 15:13
https://www.prostinternational.com/2020/12/08/in-with-the-old-in-with-the-new/