PDA

View Full Version : Bob Dylan Catalogue Sells For 100 Million

life on mars
07-12-20, 18:12
When he penned *“Song to*Woody in 62 , whem most charts sounds had the words "twist " in their title.

Did he ever think he'd be selling his catalogue for such a huge amount .

Its alleged to have sold tens of millions of albums, wrote more than*500 songs, which have been *recorded by more than 2,000 artists.

Mind 'blowing ,' and not just in the wind

NYCBlue
07-12-20, 18:25
Where did you get that figure from? All I saw was "undisclosed". I thought it might have been more than that.

xsnaggle
07-12-20, 18:30
Where did you get that figure from? All I saw was "undisclosed". I thought it might have been more than that.

He knows the exact figure because it was he who bought it, silly!!! :hehe:

Whisperer
07-12-20, 18:32
Sounds like a good deal for Universal at that price.

life on mars
07-12-20, 18:34

Radio comment ?

life on mars
07-12-20, 18:38
Reporting on some media outlets now as an estimated $300 million , guess we will never really know

Taunton Blue Genie
07-12-20, 18:39
Reporting on some media outlets now as an estimated $300 million , guess we will never really know

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind....

life on mars
07-12-20, 18:51
A great recording from 2006 :

https://youtu.be/0RPkJeziNyI

Great video as well

noodles
08-12-20, 09:01
Here's a little more concerning the sale of Bob Dylan's catalogue https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/arts/music/bob-dylan-universal-music.html

life on mars
08-12-20, 09:12
Here's a little more concerning the sale of Bob Dylan's catalogue https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/arts/music/bob-dylan-universal-music.html

Remarkable man certainly defined music and perhaps protest within music with his many causes he has sung about, this one is about the wrongly jailed Boxer Hurricane Carter ,who he campaigned for :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpZvg_FjL3Q

And of course the classic Masters of War https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEmI_FT4YHU

Genius

dandywarhol
08-12-20, 22:44
Record sales have plumetted.David Crosby also considering selling.
If you can make a shed load of money and your an old timer why not?
I read somewhere that Ray Davies sold all his apart from Waterloo sunset.

NYCBlue
09-12-20, 00:25
It makes sense to liquidate. The pool of most popular songs/albums is just going to get bigger and bigger. And you never know what's around the corner. When the Boomers and Gen Xers are gone, maybe no one will listen to Dylan, the Beatles, the Stones etc. Who knows?

Eric the Half a Bee
09-12-20, 05:55
It makes sense to liquidate. The pool of most popular songs/albums is just going to get bigger and bigger. And you never know what's around the corner. When the Boomers and Gen Xers are gone, maybe no one will listen to Dylan, the Beatles, the Stones etc. Who knows?

Absolutely. Gilbert and Sullivan operettas have bitten the dust, bar from G&S societies keeping them alive. Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals, still performed quite often in the 90s, are now infrequently seen. The 60s finished over half a century ago. Music from that decade has a similar relevance to me that music from the 1930s had to my parents.

It will be interesting to see what music from the 1960s is still listened to in the 2060s. Barely any would be my guess. I reckon that any music that is still semi popular after 2 generations has done well to survive.

70s music is definitely on the wane. 80s music is seen as "oldies" by Radio 2. Give it 20 years and those who lived through the 80s as teenagers will be in their 70s. Time waits for no man!

Taunton Blue Genie
09-12-20, 07:32
Absolutely. Gilbert and Sullivan operettas have bitten the dust, bar from G&S societies keeping them alive. Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals, still performed quite often in the 90s, are now infrequently seen. The 60s finished over half a century ago. Music from that decade has a similar relevance to me that music from the 1930s had to my parents.

It will be interesting to see what music from the 1960s is still listened to in the 2060s. Barely any would be my guess. I reckon that any music that is still semi popular after 2 generations has done well to survive.

70s music is definitely on the wane. 80s music is seen as "oldies" by Radio 2. Give it 20 years and those who lived through the 80s as teenagers will be in their 70s. Time waits for no man!

As far as I understand it, the copyright of musical works expires 70 years after the death of the composers - so the purchasers in these cases have until the end of this century to make their money, if I am not mistaken.

B. Oddie
09-12-20, 16:13
I've got an Argos one here you can have for free.

life on mars
09-12-20, 17:17
I've got an Argos one here you can have for free.

Keep safe in mint condition its soon to be a collectors item and worth billions for generations to come to show bemused folk why we chopped down trees down so one could gaze at a thin paged catalogue of crap andvwatch it play its part in destroying retail department stores and jobs .

chris lee
09-12-20, 23:28
My Bob Dylan claim to fame, is when I worked as a golf Instructor in Maine (usa) in 2017 I taught his 11 year old grandson golf while he stayed at our summer camp for 3 weeks. striking resemblance too.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-12-20, 00:03
Am I able to say something here ?

The man in his day was a poet in music

But I saw him in Cardiff in 1994 and it was dreadful

Blood on the tracks is his greatest offering in my opinion

life on mars
10-12-20, 00:37
Am I able to say something here ?

The man in his day was a poet in music

But I saw him in Cardiff in 1994 and it was dreadful

Blood on the tracks is his greatest offering in my opinion

I love Dylan .
Awful live.
Blood on the Tracks is one of best albums ever by anyone

""They sat together in the park
As the evening sky grew dark
She looked at him and he felt a spark
Tingle to his bones…""

Genuis.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-12-20, 00:55
I love Dylan .
Awful live.
Blood on the Tracks is one of best albums ever by anyone

""They sat together in the park
As the evening sky grew dark
She looked at him and he felt a spark
Tingle to his bones…""

Genuis.

He was playing an electric set that night, it was shocking

dandywarhol
11-12-20, 13:30
He was playing an electric set that night, it was shocking

Different folks different strokes.I love electric he was great that night.The response was great I was at the front he called the band back for what look unplanned encores after the planned encores.