PDA

View Full Version : Guitarists

Feedback
11-12-20, 19:11
I'm looking at a Les Paul for the boy for Christmas, and wanted to know if there's much difference between an Epiphone and Gibson, seeing as they are the same company?

Also, what pedals should I get him? I'm thinking delay and overdrive to start him off.

tforturton
11-12-20, 19:20
What age is the player? I'd start off with a good replica if I was you. For example, if you were looking at Fenders, you'd probably buy a Squier copy for a beginner. Great guitar, half the price (or less). Pedals have their uses, but they make you lazy. Learn to play the thing first.

Feedback
11-12-20, 19:23
He already has a fender telecaster and stratocaster, he's 14 and has been playing for a few years - he's pretty decent so a few pedals will add to his repertoire

tforturton
11-12-20, 19:38
The Gibson is a better guitar in all categories except the price. But the more you pay for an Epiphone, the closer it gets to the 'real thing'. Pay £500 and it's pretty close to the level of a basement Gibson. Then again, an American made Gibson will always be a better investment, as it's going to hold it's value much better, as long as it's looked after properly. So there's the question, will a fourteen year old look after an expensive Gibson?
Sounds like the kid is going to be spoilt for choice. They're a very different guitar to the Fenders you mention. What about a hollow-body Tele? That's a great guitar.

Feedback
11-12-20, 19:49
Is the hollow body guitar exactly what it says - a bit more light weight?

How different is the sound,

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-12-20, 20:07
Is the hollow body guitar exactly what it says - a bit more light weight?

How different is the sound,

More acoustic , indeed

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-12-20, 20:08
Geordie out of killing joke used a hollow body I believe

What a guitar sound he had

Vindec
11-12-20, 20:16
If he's got a Strat and Telecaster why does he need a Les Paul? He owns the best already. I owned a 1963 Strat at one time. Great guitar. Cost me £150 and now worth a lot more. However, if resale value is of interest, which I doubt, buy the Gibson. Epiphone is seen as an inferior brand and you know what kids are like; they always want the best.

Feedback
11-12-20, 20:20
If he's got a Strat and Telecaster why does he need a Les Paul? He owns the best already. I owned a 1963 Strat at one time. Great guitar. Cost me £150 and now worth a lot more. However, if resale value is of interest, which I doubt, buy the Gibson. Epiphone is seen as an inferior brand and you know what kids are like; they always want the best.
My thinking is he can experiment with different sounds.

I know nothing about guitars.

Vindec
11-12-20, 20:42

I don't like Les Paul's. The sound is so clean every mistake is noticeable. If I were you I wouldn't buy a guitar for your son as he has two great guitars at the moment. Why don't you go into a music shop and ask them to make you up a pedal board with 4 or 5 pedals. That won't be cheap but would enable your son to experiment with different sounds.

Feedback
11-12-20, 20:44
I don't like Les Paul's. The sound is so clean every mistake is noticeable. If I were you I wouldn't buy a guitar for your son as he has two great guitars at the moment. Why don't you go into a music shop and ask them to make you up a pedal board with 4 or 5 pedals. That won't be cheap but would enable your son to experiment with different sounds.

Thats an option. What pedals would you suggest?

Cyclops
11-12-20, 20:45
Why lock yourself in to Gibson/Epiphone and pedals?
I've got several guitars and I'd recommend a Yamaha Revstar. I've got the RS620 and RS820. They are seriously great guitars. Only today in Guitarist mag I read 'it's probably one of the best examples of a 'sleeper' range we can think of' and even the editor has just bought one. Check out some of the Youtube videos that feature the range and often compare them with Gibsons.
As regards pedals, again why not go for something different. I've recently bought a BOSS GT-1 Guitar Effects Processor and it gives access to a huge of sounds with a pedal to boot. See them demonstrated on Youtube also.

Cyclops
11-12-20, 20:48
What age is the player? I'd start off with a good replica if I was you. For example, if you were looking at Fenders, you'd probably buy a Squier copy for a beginner. Great guitar, half the price (or less). Pedals have their uses, but they make you lazy. Learn to play the thing first.

Didn't know you played, mush! Think of all those half-times when we could've nattered about gear an' stuff! :hehe:

Vindec
11-12-20, 20:53
Thats an option. What pedals would you suggest?

I'm so out of date that I would defer to others with more recent experience. The best pedal around in my time was a Zoom with multiple sounds which is 1970s technology and absolutely no good for playing at live gigs.

NYCBlue
11-12-20, 20:55
What sort of guitarist is he? What sort of music does he listen to? Has he specifically mentioned an interest in a Gibson hollow or semi-hollow body guitar? How old is he? Have you thought about just getting him a gift voucher for a music shop? Most guitarists would know what sort of sound they were looking for and would already have a wish-list for pedals. What sort of amp does he use?

City123
11-12-20, 21:10
Why lock yourself in to Gibson/Epiphone and pedals?
I've got several guitars and I'd recommend a Yamaha Revstar. I've got the RS620 and RS820. They are seriously great guitars. Only today in Guitarist mag I read 'it's probably one of the best examples of a 'sleeper' range we can think of' and even the editor has just bought one. Check out some of the Youtube videos that feature the range and often compare them with Gibsons.
As regards pedals, again why not go for something different. I've recently bought a BOSS GT-1 Guitar Effects Processor and it gives access to a huge of sounds with a pedal to boot. See them demonstrated on Youtube also.
Yamaha are excellent. My Yamaha Pacifica didn't cost a great deal and has never let me down

On Gibson v Epiphone as far as I know Gibsons are better but not necessarily worth the jump in price. For pedals there's such a huge range out there I'd ask your boy what he'd be interested in and go from there or look up the most compatible for the kind of stuff he plays

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-12-20, 21:20
Les Paul's are great guitars and Jimmy page , Alex lifeson and the boys from lizzy got a great sound out of them

And a lot of hard rock bands use them today , as they do with strats

A lot of metal bands use ibanez destroyers etc

But even today strats are still used , andreas kisser of sepultura uses a customised strat with various pick ups

My mate had a white yamaha he paid 200 quid for and used it for many years , he's got a dozen guitars but he still rates yamaha

ToTaL ITK
11-12-20, 21:21
Geordie out of killing joke used a hollow body I believe

What a guitar sound he had

gretsch white falcon

seen him at least 15 times always used it

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-12-20, 21:24
Is he into metal ?

Maybe look into ibanez

Is he into rock , maybe look at a les Paul but also strats , telecaster , firebird ?

I personally think for a kid of 14 he's got enough to play with at the moment and pedals would be worth looking at , those all in one effects boards are going to give him plenty to mess about with

NYCBlue
11-12-20, 21:24
Les Paul's are great guitars and Jimmy page , Alex lifeson and the boys from lizzy got a great sound out of them

And a lot of hard rock bands use them today , as they do with strats

A lot of metal bands use ibanez destroyers etc

But even today strats are still used , andreas kisser of sepultura uses a customised strat with various pick ups

My mate had a white yamaha he paid 200 quid for and used it for many years , he's got a dozen guitars but he still rates yamaha

I had a Yamaha bass back in the day. A black BB-300. I bought it in LA took it back to London, Cardiff and then back to the US. Used it for years. I think I've still got the body somewhere. Not my dream guitar though.

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-12-20, 21:27
gretsch white falcon

seen him at least 15 times always used it

Great guitar sound , on their day great live

Last time I saw them they were superb , cardiff uni but jazz was in a mood and they only did an hour .

Me and my mates love killing joke , we are metal fans but they were at the forefront of industrial , expansive sounds but after spending a lot of money to travel to see them , tickets etc I am not not putting up with an hour set list

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-12-20, 21:30
I had a Yamaha bass back in the day. A black BB-300. I bought it in LA took it back to London, Cardiff and then back to the US. Used it for years. I think I've still got the body somewhere. Not my dream guitar though.

Geddy Lee from Rush is one of my favourite bassists and he's changed his weapon as they say over the years

Fender Precision , various 8 string basses etc etc

tricks
11-12-20, 21:34
Whatever you do buy quality. He’ll be happier and value will hold.

NYCBlue
11-12-20, 21:35
Hold on, he's 14?

No 14-year-old needs a Strat a Tele AND a Gibson. Gibson is not like Fender, they don't make guitars all over the world. All their guitars are made in the US. And a semi-hollow body like a 335 will cost you $3000.

Are his Fenders American made?

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-12-20, 21:40
Hold on, he's 14?

No 14-year-old needs a Strat a Tele AND a Gibson. Gibson is not like Fender, they don't make guitars all over the world. All their guitars are made in the US. And a semi-hollow body like a 335 will cost you $3000.

It does seem a little over the top

He's got two great guitars in a strat and a tele

Buy him an effects board

He can play pop , rock , metal with that

Its like buying your son three cars when he's only just learning to drive one

On a side note , I am looking to buy a new pike fishing rod which is about 200 quid

Any chance of a bank transfer ?

NYCBlue
11-12-20, 21:48
Geddy Lee from Rush is one of my favourite bassists and he's changed his weapon as they say over the years

Fender Precision , various 8 string basses etc etc

I've never had a Precision. I don't know why. It was my favourite bass when I was a kid (JJ Burnel). I've actually been looking at kits to build myself one. It was going to be my Covid project but I never got round to it. Geddy's signature tone is a Rickenbacker. I was surprised when he switched to Fenders. My favorite bass player is Paul Gray from the Damned. He also plays a Rickenbacker. I should have one. One of these days.

Cyclops
11-12-20, 22:03
Just thinking of when I was fourteen. Had a paper round, delivering morning and late afternoon. I bought a Rosetti Super Solid Seven on the never-ever - my first electric guitar - played through the radio. Read later that McCartney was playing one in the early Hamburg days. First time we gigged in a youth club, I blew up the record player I used as an amp. And Sid the drummer only had a snare.
And this kid's got a Tele and a Strat and may get a Gibson! World's gone mad!

NYCBlue
11-12-20, 22:14
Just thinking of when I was fourteen. Had a paper round, delivering morning and late afternoon. I bought a Rosetti Super Solid Seven on the never-ever - my first electric guitar - played through the radio. Read later that McCartney was playing one in the early Hamburg days. First time we gigged in a youth club, I blew up the record player I used as an amp. And Sid the drummer only had a snare.

My first electric guitar wasn't even a Rosetti. It had a neck "by Rosetti". It was a Strat shape. The best part is got it in a swap. I gave the other kid my copy of Live And Dangerous by Thin Lizzy and he gave me the guitar. So my first electric guitar cost me £4.49!

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-12-20, 22:25
I've never had a Precision. I don't know why. It was my favourite bass when I was a kid (JJ Burnel). I've actually been looking at kits to build myself one. It was going to be my Covid project but I never got round to it. Geddy's signature tone is a Rickenbacker. I was surprised when he switched to Fenders. My favorite bass player is Paul Gray from the Damned. He also plays a Rickenbacker. I should have one. One of these days.

Lizzy always in my top ten , thought lynott was a great bassist , the break down on sha la la is great

Think he used a precision

NYCBlue
11-12-20, 22:42
Lizzy always in my top ten , thought lynott was a great bassist , the break down on sha la la is great

Think he used a precision

He did. Black. With a mirror scratchplate.

StraightOuttaCanton
11-12-20, 23:37

You should be a good Dad and let him see this chat... I bet he could learn a lot from people who know rather than from you, who with respect doesn’t have much knowledge at all

Moodybluebird
11-12-20, 23:41

Must be an age thing but my dad bought me my first guitar (a classical) when I was 16 and the action was so high you could drive a bus under the strings. I find it hard to believe a 14 year old already has a Strat and a Telecaster and may soon be the proud owner of a Gibson. A Gibson 335 would be my guitar of choice by the way.

Cyclops
11-12-20, 23:59
r
He can play pop , rock , metal with that
Its like buying your son three cars when he's only just learning to drive one

Great analogy.
He's 14 ffs
:-)

Feedback
12-12-20, 04:57
Hold on, he's 14?

He has US made fenders - I might not know much about guitars, but that much I do know.

I'm going for the Gibson with a pedal board.

He's a sensible lad and listens to the likes of porridge, the big pink and the oh sees :thumbup: but he likes the classics like dylan, malmestein and gilmore

Feedback
12-12-20, 05:01
You should be a good Dad and let him see this chat... I bet he could learn a lot from people who know rather than from you, who with respect doesn’t have much knowledge at all

We'll go into town in the new year and he can have a wander around the music shops and he can do as much talking as he wants. We'll also go and buy some vinyl, he's not really experienced that yet so a new world of pleasure awaits him.

SLUDGE FACTORY
12-12-20, 13:49
We'll go into town in the new year and he can have a wander around the music shops and he can do as much talking as he wants. We'll also go and buy some vinyl, he's not really experienced that yet so a new world of pleasure awaits him.

You spend as much money as you want , its your money

But he has two superb guitars that with a pedal board can give him a wide range of styles to develop

I think you are being a bit daft really , and if he's hassling you to buy him another guitar at his age , considering he has two very good ones, tell him you will buy him a les Paul for his 18th or something

Thats my view

NYCBlue
12-12-20, 15:42

Now you're talking. Get him a nice, vintage system and introduce him to discogs. If you're looking to burn money, vinyl is where it s at.

Cyclops
12-12-20, 15:56
. We'll also go and buy some vinyl, he's not really experienced that yet so a new world of pleasure awaits him.

And a wind-up gramophone with a years supply of needles?

NYCBlue
12-12-20, 20:17
Get him this:

https://tinyurl.com/y2p53v8e

If, when he discovers the sex and the drugs he decides he's not that into the rock and roll, at least you probably can sell it for a profit

Ribeye
13-12-20, 01:36
Les Paul guitars can be a bit heavy what about a PRS S2 Standard Singlecut Satin?

a curveball of course would be to buy him a decent amp.

Feedback
13-12-20, 04:52
Les Paul guitars can be a bit heavy what about a PRS S2 Standard Singlecut Satin?

a curveball of course would be to buy him a decent amp.

I was thinking this yesterday. Any suggestions?

I was also thinking a Gretsch but no one here had suggested this.

Feedback
13-12-20, 08:00
Get him this:

https://tinyurl.com/y2p53v8e

If, when he discovers the sex and the drugs he decides he's not that into the rock and roll, at least you probably can sell it for a profit

question if I may - are the gold guitars something worth having, as we were in PMT yesterday and there was one on the wall, and I thought it looked a bit twee if I'm honest (it sounded great though)

Vindec
13-12-20, 08:43
Guitars are such a personal thing; weight, sound, the neck, set up etc that buying an instrument without your son present is not a good idea. Weight was important to me because after a couple of hours on stage your neck doesn't half hurt. In the end I opted for a hollow bodied guitar as the solids are just too heavy although my preference was always for a Strat which your lad already has.

At the end of the day it's a question of going around the shops so he can try things out and that is what you have said you will do, and by the sound of it already doing. That's great. He's a lucky lad.

You mention amps. Trying amps out in shops in a confined space is not great as it is difficult to judge how the amp performs at a decent volume.

Cyclops
13-12-20, 09:26
There's so many reasons to like a guitar.
For me, they are in this order: 1. Playability 2. Sound/Sustain 3. Looks
I have a relatively small hand (not helped by a shattered knuckle from a cricket injury) and the neck measurements and shape are very important. At the moment, I'm modding a Washburn Parallaxe which looks cool and plays fast because it had a chunky 'D' shaped neck which felt awkward. I reproduced the shape of my fav neck on card cut-outs in three places and used a Japanese Iwasaki file/rasp and sand paper. Had to get down to the wood thru an odd waxy finish for the wood stain to take. I'll finish the Wipe On Poly with some gentle .000 gauge wire-wool rubbing to replicate the matt finish. Just hops the truss rod doesn't pop! It already plays amazingly, though I've got to finish the job by setting it up.
Any guitar with a glossy, poly finish neck (like a Tele) needs careful fine sanding. The difference in playability is remarkable.
Another factor is scale length - a big difference between Fenders and Gibsons. The shorter the scale length, the smaller the frets. This was brought home to me when I try to play chords now that I used to play with ease when I was younger. They are a stretch. I realised it was because I played a Harmony H77 (still got it - its worth around £1,500) and the scale length is shorter than any other guitar I've played.
And don't get me started on the frets! I prefer medium jumbos. You need to know the fret size (height and width) that suits you and periodically give them a polish with Autosol Car Metal polish. They then play like silk.
Makes me smile when guys say, 'that guitar plays well'. Folk should sit down and work out why. It's a science on its own. Then, you don't look at another guitar which doesn't conform to what you know you want.
'Course there's always modding!
I suggest you show these comments to your boy - with a warning - they could seriously eff him up! :-)

lardy
13-12-20, 09:29
I was thinking this yesterday. Any suggestions?

I was also thinking a Gretsch but no one here had suggested this.

If he is really into guitars and you have no idea, he should be choosing and not you (/us).

Feedback
13-12-20, 09:39
If he is really into guitars and you have no idea, he should be choosing and not you (/us).

Well yes, but that kind of ruins the christmas present if he chooses it himself.

Vindec
13-12-20, 09:59
There's so many reasons to like a guitar.
I realised it was because I played a Harmony H77 (still got it - its worth around £1,500) and the scale length is shorter than any other guitar I've played.

Thanks for posting that. My last serious guitar was a Harmony H76 which I sold in 1971 for £50 and is now worth around £1500. I hated the thing and was surprised that there were any still available. Before seeing your post I thought Harmony guitars were obsolete but it seems they are still going strong.

lardy
13-12-20, 10:36
Well yes, but that kind of ruins the christmas present if he chooses it himself.

I'd say it ruins it if he doesn't.

Cyclops
13-12-20, 10:39
Thanks for posting that. My last serious guitar was a Harmony H76 which I sold in 1971 for £50 and is now worth around £1500. I hated the thing and was surprised that there were any still available. Before seeing your post I thought Harmony guitars were obsolete but it seems they are still going strong.

Yeah, when I bought mine, they were ten-a penny in used guitar shops. Now they are regularly featured in Guitarist mag as vintage guitars. There are Youtube vids of guys lovingly playing them and some bands use 'em on stage.
This is another guitar I'm modding. Someone forty years ago messed up the fretboard. It's been scored with a knife in places and there are grooves on either side of frets which is down to the poor removal of old ones. I've removed the fretboard using an iron, bought a new one, used the old one as a guide to cut the fret slots. The knobs are long gone and I've replaced the pots. Finally, the guitar was originally green. It's been sanded and poly brushed so that it was a blonde. I've sanded this back to the ply-wood and am doing a burst using Crimson Guitar's yellow and brown stain. Purists will growl at this, but it will be nearer it's original appearance and the fretboard and knobs had to be replaced.

Cyclops
13-12-20, 17:19
Incidentally, the way Guitarist mag is going, I'm waiting for a new offshoot to hit the magazine stalls: Modding Monthly
There are five and more articles a month touching on this craft.

Shout out to #Wales Bales. Let's be havin' ya on this, mush! :hehe:

NYCBlue
15-12-20, 18:01
Did we ever find out what amp this kid uses?

And does anyone else think this thread might be a wind-up?

Steve the Tea
15-12-20, 20:50
Alex de Grassi plays, Western.' Has anyone on here ever heard of him?

https://youtu.be/RT7O6OTaMmU

StT.
<><

StraightOuttaCanton
16-12-20, 00:40

Wales Bales innit....

Feedback
16-12-20, 07:49

why would it be a wind up? as much as I love listening to music, I know nothing about guitars. The lad loves his music and has been playing guitar since he was 7. He's had a tough year in school and has done exceptionally well, so why not reward him a little bit.

NB he has a tonemaster

Vindec
16-12-20, 08:03
why would it be a wind up? as much as I love listening to music, I know nothing about guitars. The lad loves his music and has been playing guitar since he was 7. He's had a tough year in school and has done exceptionally well, so why not reward him a little bit.

NB he has a tonemaster

Rather more than a little bit. Even a professional musician would aspire to own an American Strat, a Telecaster and maybe a Gibson Les Paul coupled with his Fender amp. He better be good to justify owning such equipment and play in a decent bad. If he plays his music just around the house such a set up is completely over the top.

Probably a little envy has crept in there when I think of the equipment I started with - a converted radio used as an amp, a second hand Vox guitar with a warped neck from a junk shop on City Road. While I progressed to much better equipment later on my start doesn't begin to compare with Feedback's son. He's a lucky lad and I hope he knows it and is appreciative.

Feedback
16-12-20, 08:43
Rather more than a little bit. Even a professional musician would aspire to own an American Strat, a Telecaster and maybe a Gibson Les Paul coupled with his Fender amp. He better be good to justify owning such equipment and play in a decent bad. If he plays his music just around the house such a set up is completely over the top.

Probably a little envy has crept in there when I think of the equipment I started with - a converted radio used as an amp, a second hand Vox guitar with a warped neck from a junk shop on City Road. While I progressed to much better equipment later on my start doesn't begin to compare with Feedback's son. He's a lucky lad and I hope he knows it and is appreciative.

he's in a band in school and his school have nights where bands can play. The first time I saw him play I was quite taken aback. He was good - very good. This is his passion therefore its worthy of my support.

lardy
16-12-20, 10:41
he's in a band in school and his school have nights where bands can play. The first time I saw him play I was quite taken aback. He was good - very good. This is his passion therefore its worthy of my support.

To be honest, and I'm repeating myself, but this is all the more reason for you not to just buy a random expensive guitar one week before Christmas.

NYCBlue
17-12-20, 15:36
You're going to spend £2000+ for your son to find out that a Tele is more versatile than a Les Paul. You'd be much better off buying him a tube amp.

If you really wanted to do him a favor, get him a drum kit and lessons. It would help him understand rhythm and timing.

WJ99mobile
17-12-20, 15:39
You're going to spend £2000+ for your son to find out that a Tele is more versatile than a Les Paul. You'd be much better off buying him a tube amp.

If you really wanted to do him a favor, get him a drum kit and lessons. It would help him understand rhythm and timing.

Feedy’s good for it.

My dad bought the best instruments he could afford.

I’ve fallen out of love with music but I’ll be handing down my stuff to my children as it’ll never devalue

NYCBlue
26-12-20, 16:10
What did you get him? If it's not too late get him one of these:4225