PDA

View Full Version : Same Team Better Effort

life on mars
10-02-21, 12:21
Was struck by the can do attitude last night , players looked more energetic, enthused the penalty box defending was brilliant to watch in terms of team spirit , bodies on the line etc .

Something has changed , perhaps short tem management player change around for refresh purposes are the future .

Wonderful to also see the younger lads coming through and bit of Welsh passion in and around the team , thought NG , Nelson and Bennett were excellent last night.

2b2bdoo
10-02-21, 13:26
It's amazing what a bit of confidence can do.

sneggyblubird
10-02-21, 13:53
It's amazing what a bit of confidence can do.

Aye,together with an astute tactical knowledge,employing a coach(TC) that knows the business inside out and has a matchday gameplan.:biggrin:

Former Labour leader
10-02-21, 13:53
MM is playing people to their strengths and organising the team better. And, of course, a couple of wins breeds confidence.

J R Hartley
10-02-21, 13:55
New manager bounce, a different voice, change of formation, who knows.

We had a similar upturn in results when Harris replaced Warnock. Personally I think a late run at the play offs like we had last year will be a bad thing. It will mean a longer term contract for Mick. Whilst he might be the man to steer us to safety this season do we want another 2-3 years of Mick Ball?

life on mars
10-02-21, 15:56
Aye,together with an astute tactical knowledge,employing a coach(TC) that knows the business inside out and has a matchday gameplan.:biggrin:

TC's involvement from the side line's is noticeable , looks like he has a big part to play , seems well respected within the game .

splott parker
10-02-21, 17:14
New manager bounce, a different voice, change of formation, who knows.

We had a similar upturn in results when Harris replaced Warnock. Personally I think a late run at the play offs like we had last year will be a bad thing. It will mean a longer term contract for Mick. Whilst he might be the man to steer us to safety this season do we want another 2-3 years of Mick Ball?

I’d have what you call Mick Ball any day of the week if it produces goals like we scored last night.

Lord Dargavel
10-02-21, 18:58
MM is playing people to their strengths and organising the team better. And, of course, a couple of wins breeds confidence.

You might even suggest that the manager is managing the team. A good manager will allow those around him to perform and, in turn, make themselves look good!

Spooky Tree
10-02-21, 18:59
I’d have what you call Mick Ball any day of the week if it produces goals like we scored last night.

Calling it Mick Ball is short sighted. We look a lot better under MM. Great goals last night.

Lord Dargavel
10-02-21, 19:00
Quite. I’m not asking for split centre halves and passing out from the back. If the defence do their job and can get the ball moved quickly to our forward players then let them show us the pretty stuff. We’ve scored a few great goals now that have been a pleasure to watch. It doesn’t have to be 15 passes, I’m quite happy with a clever bit of wing play and a buried header thanks very much. Or a direct ball splitting the defence for a composed finish.

Taunton Blue Genie
10-02-21, 19:03
Two poor sides in that game, methinks.

life on mars
10-02-21, 19:07
Two poor sides in that game, methinks.

And two poor sides last Saturday or better effort , and the two previous draws ?

I'd put money on us losing last night playing like we were before MM arrival .

I'd suggest it is the same team showing a better effort .

splott parker
10-02-21, 19:09
Calling it Mick Ball is short sighted. We look a lot better under MM. Great goals last night.

Exactly:thumbup:

olderblue
10-02-21, 19:22
Given the conditions, it was a good game to watch, whilst I would like to see a good young progressive coach in charge for next season, you can't take anything away from the performance last night, on another day, we could have scored 3-4 more with Morrison Moore and Murphy having really good opportunities as well as the blatant penalty we should have been given for the trip on Wilson.
We looked good last night and MM is doing a decent job, long may it continue

rich munn
10-02-21, 20:06
Seconded!

:ayatollah:

Bobby Dandruff
10-02-21, 20:08

And more importantly, infinitely better than the utter garbage that we had to suffer under Harris.

life on mars
10-02-21, 20:17
So what do we want :

Warnockball.
Harrisball.
Mickball.

No ball??

splott parker
10-02-21, 20:22
So what do we want :

Warnockball.
Harrisball.
Mickball.

No ball??

Can’t have Bobby Ball....RIP

dandywarhol
10-02-21, 20:43
Who would have thought bringing Flint on when we were 2 down at Barnsley was the answer.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-02-21, 20:51
Well nice pretty passing is great

But for now we have started getting points on the board , and pulling away from a late season relegation scrap

Seize the day

life on mars
10-02-21, 20:55
Who would have thought bringing Flint on when we were 2 down at Barnsley was the answer.

Certainly think Flint has a 'spark '

Moodybluebird
11-02-21, 00:39
Certainly think Flint has a 'spark '

If he gets red-carded would he be Flintoff ? (Sorry Freddie)

NYCBlue
11-02-21, 00:49
Well nice pretty passing is great

But for now we have started getting points on the board , and pulling away from a late season relegation scrap

Seize the day

Did you enjoy Harris's pass to Ojo? Or was it too fancy for you? What about Ojo's finish? Should he have just belted it? Stroking the ball into the net is OK for Premier League fancy dans and continentals, but it's not for Cardiff City.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
11-02-21, 03:27
Did you enjoy Harris's pass to Ojo? Or was it too fancy for you? What about Ojo's finish? Should he have just belted it? Stroking the ball into the net is OK for Premier League fancy dans and continentals, but it's not for Cardiff City.

:hehe:

the other bob wilson
11-02-21, 06:27

We didn't bring him on. Flint has been in the side from the start of every game under McCarthy, it was Morrison who was brought on at Barnsley - we'd been awful before that.

the other bob wilson
11-02-21, 06:48
Quite. I’m not asking for split centre halves and passing out from the back. If the defence do their job and can get the ball moved quickly to our forward players then let them show us the pretty stuff. We’ve scored a few great goals now that have been a pleasure to watch. It doesn’t have to be 15 passes, I’m quite happy with a clever bit of wing play and a buried header thanks very much. Or a direct ball splitting the defence for a composed finish.

If you look at the sides at the top of the Premier League at the moment, I'd say none of them are averse to playing a long pass, but "pass" is the operative word - too often, your "ball moved quickly to our forward players" equates to a fighting ball hooked forward from which nothing can be achieved except perhaps a set piece in an attacking area (our raison d'etre?). Strangely, the only member of our current back three I can ever remember hitting a defence splitting pass which led to a goal is Aden Flint in the game against Fulham last season in which Harry Arter was sent off.

We scored two fine goals on Tuesday primarily because two of the "proper" footballers within our ranks produced a bit of quality, but it's worth noting that Harry Wilson only got the ball for his assist because a Rotherham player passed it to him and Josh Murphy was not trusted by our last two managers. Would Ojo have scored on Tuesday if Wilson had to rely on one of our own players to supply him with the ball in the position where he could cause such damage? Possibly, but I've seen too much of our passing from central defence and central midfield in recent years to be doubtful as to whether they could have.

The possession for possession's sake approach is as damaging as Warnockball at its worst. Surely, any side should look to be able to play in a mixture of these two ways using what's most appropriate at the time. I've seen signs of an ability to break quickly and decisively in our last two games which should really have been there all of the time with the likes of Wilson, Ojo, Murphy and Moore in our squad, but, instead we got bogged down in a morass of careless passing and wrong options for much of this season.

The way you describe football looks great when it works, but we've largely been hopeless at getting the ball to anyone capable of coming up with the "clever bit of wing play" you mention. I agree, it doesn't have to be fifteen passes, but for too much of the time, we struggle to get to three,