PDA

View Full Version : Favourite British City , Other Than Cardiff ?

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-04-21, 09:07
Glasgow , Bradford , Sheffield , Newcastle

Stoke is a complete dump

Coventry has got its down sides but good people , I like it there

Feedback
15-04-21, 09:10
Manchester, its a conveyor belt of quality music

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-04-21, 09:14
Manchester, its a conveyor belt of quality music

spent four years in Manchester, found Mancs really funny , loads of Karl Pilkington dry as you can get types up there

Clearly loads to do and a great live music scene but I found it a bit miserable

Of the M62 cities I preferred Bradford and Leeds

Der Kaiser
15-04-21, 09:46
Having moved to London it's hard not to say that but it's also simultaneously the worst - also a boring pick. Loved newcastle when i visited a few years back, nice city centre and even nicer people.

Brighton another very good city, a lot about it.

Rjk
15-04-21, 10:00
Nottingham, Brighton, Edinburgh, Bristol

I guess also London - in a way

jon1959
15-04-21, 10:29
Sheffield - like a big village with loads of sports and culture, a walk out into the Peak District, generally very friendly people - and it’s not Leeds!

Just beats Manchester which I also (used to) know very well.

StraightOuttaCanton
15-04-21, 10:56
Belfast, York, Aberdeen (in the summer)

Fatty Thornton
15-04-21, 11:02

Stoke is a complete dump

Leeds is one of my favourite cities, worked up for there for a year or two, something to do every night of the week! Call Lane has some great independent bars and clubs.

Trigger
15-04-21, 11:08
London, can find whatever you want.

Quite like Manchester, was good nightlife, the bits I saw were well maintained, busy without it being London busy which is sometimes nice.

Swiss Peter
15-04-21, 11:10
Smaller cities - Bath, Brighton, Canterbury, Norwich. Bath if I had to pick one of those.

AfricanBluebird
15-04-21, 11:25

Stoke is a complete dump

In terms of people some of the northern cities are wonderful. Great people, funny and down to earth. Manchester is a great case in point. But I care little for the aesthetics of Manchester.. lots of it new and shiny but a bit soulless.

Bath is a lovely city. Bristol is also decent.

Agree about Stoke, horrible city, horrible people.

London is almost hard to even define as a single place - some parts of London are vibrant and lots of historic buildings and great people. Other parts, meh.

AfricanBluebird
15-04-21, 11:27
Smaller cities - Bath, Brighton, Canterbury, Norwich. Bath if I had to pick one of those.

Yes I mentioned in my post Bath, also yes, you're right Canterbury is also a very underrated.

goats
15-04-21, 11:32
Bristol is decent, nightlife, bands, good looking women too. Just let down by the football clubs

Moodybluebird
15-04-21, 11:33
Newport anyone ?

The Bob Banker Spanker
15-04-21, 11:37
Bradford? Really?

Bath, Edinburgh

Vindec
15-04-21, 11:45
York.

Tuerto
15-04-21, 11:48
Brighton is fun and has a nice feel to it, plenty to do. Sheffield was great, the people are sound and willing to help. South London-Very under rated and gets a bit of a raw deal. Some very weird and wonderful people, great food, things to do that wouldn't enter a normal persons mind. People sort of do what they want a fair bit in my experience.

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-04-21, 12:23
Leeds is one of my favourite cities, worked up for there for a year or two, something to do every night of the week! Call Lane has some great independent bars and clubs.

I can't stand Leeds United but its a great city

Majorblue
15-04-21, 12:23
London as I was born there and partially brought up before leaving as a teen but returned at 18 and now have a home close by.

Outside of that I actually prefer the rural villages but if pushed would say Chester, York, Bath and Bristol are all decent places.

Don’t get the love for Brighton as I find it a bit seedy and the beach is rubbish. If I had to pick a seaside city it would be Bournemouth but not sure that it has city status.

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-04-21, 12:27
Bradford? Really?

Bath, Edinburgh

Bradford is seen by outsiders as a miserable northern town but it has so much going for it

Cheap housing , food from all over the world , beautiful scenary , great fishing

uncle bob
15-04-21, 13:01
Peterbrough. They have the best pub in the UK on a massive floating barge called Charters bar.
If like me you love all your real ales then you will be like a kid in a sweetshop if you ever get a chance to visit.
They have about 50 cask ales and ciders on draught at any one time, they have unthinkable amounts of Belgium beers including the trappist ales you could ever imagine.

They have a massive outdoor beer garden next to the barge which is based on a bavarian beer garden. Lots of tables and chairs/benches and a live music band stand under cover.
Its under the bridge on London Road by Peterborough United ground.
https://youtu.be/N9mObgG3r-Q

Always go up for the Peterborough beer festival every year for the last 25 years or more.
Anyone ever been to the beer festival? Biggest one in UK.
Look at YouTube videos.

Rjk
15-04-21, 13:03
Peterbrough. They have the best pub in the UK on a massive floating barge called Charters bar.
If like me you love all your real ales then you will be like a kid in a sweetshop if you ever get a chance to visit.
They have about 50 cask ales and ciders on draught at any one time, they have unthinkable amounts of Belgium beers including the trappist ales you could ever imagine.

They have a massive outdoor beer garden next to the barge which is based on a bavarian beer garden. Lots of tables and chairs/benches and a live music band stand under cover.

Always go up for the Peterborough beer festival every year for the last 25 years or more.
Look at YouTube videos.

that pub sounds great, I hate Peterborough though, due to too many work trips there in a previous job.

the whole area is just so flat, not seeing any hills anywhere I just found vaguely depressing

goats
15-04-21, 13:43
that pub sounds great, I hate Peterborough though, due to too many work trips there in a previous job.

the whole area is just so flat, not seeing any hills anywhere I just found vaguely depressing

On a side note I’ve only been there twice with city, mostly over 25 yrs ago, it was carnage both times....seemed like the nutters always liked to go there despite it being a fair way away.....

xsnaggle
15-04-21, 13:43
London, truly cosmopolitan city, good people, and you can do anything you want.
Ipwich, lovely people
Wareham
Telford - - a dump but good personal memories

Cleve van Leef
15-04-21, 13:48
Swansea, got the Mumbles, Gower, close to West Wales and on the verge of Brecon Beacons.

Rjk
15-04-21, 14:35
Swansea, got the Mumbles, Gower, close to West Wales and on the verge of Brecon Beacons.

I like Swansea , but I think the Gower is a bit overrated, I mean it's FINE but nothing spectacular

goats
15-04-21, 15:30

Yeah nice surroundings, but we are talking about cities and swansea isn’t very good

City123
15-04-21, 15:32
Norwich is a nice city, lovely away day
Sheffield & Newcastle are good fun
Best thing about Nottingham is their tram service

Cleve van Leef
15-04-21, 15:33
Yeah nice surroundings, but we are talking about cities and swansea isn’t very good

Yes I know but that’s why I put it on, besides I have family there.

The Bloop
15-04-21, 15:35

Same for me really.
Cardiff is a great size and I never feel overwhelmed by it. Brighton and Norwich both fit that bill.

Cyncoed Slumdog
15-04-21, 15:41
St. David's.
Very easy to see all the sights of the City.

life on mars
15-04-21, 16:23
Falmouth & Bristol

Its been emotional
15-04-21, 17:08
Chester & York
Lovely Cities with plenty to do plus both have great race courses very close to the City centre

Packerman
15-04-21, 17:13
Durham, lovely place, Norwich is great too with the river meandering through the edge of the city, very old in parts and quaint

BLUEAWAY
15-04-21, 17:24
London and Edinburgh

jon1959
15-04-21, 17:34
Interesting thread.

To get in before TBG - Wareham, Telford and Falmouth are not cities.

Nor is Brighton! Brighton and Hove is a city - but the former town of Brighton is just a constituent part of the bigger city. Well I never!

Hot Shot Hamish.
15-04-21, 18:02
Hasn't been mentioned by anyone so far but I did the touristy bit around Oxford for a couple of days and really took to the city. I'd been there for different sporting occasions in the past, but had never ventured into the centre and the colleges. I really liked the place. Brighton and Newcastle also deserve mentions in my book.

Whisperer
15-04-21, 18:31
Lived in Manchester pre hacienda days great folk know how to have a good time. Been in London 41 years and I think it’s got lots to offer. Great theatres, there’s nowhere in Uk better for food and restaurants, diverse culture, fabulous museums ( all free) and plenty of tourists. I think night clubbing has seen better days as far as the west end is concerned. Saying all that I am working on my exit out and Hastings is where I’m looking to relocate at the end of the year.

Baloo
15-04-21, 18:47
There are a few cities like Oxford, York and Bath that are nice to visit but I wouldn’t fancy living there as they are overrun by tourists at times.

I stayed in Glasgow for a month and liked it. Had a real buzz to the place and nice Victorian architecture.

xsnaggle
15-04-21, 18:49
Interesting thread.

To get in before TBG - Wareham, Telford and Falmouth are not cities.

Nor is Brighton! Brighton and Hove is a city - but the former town of Brighton is just a constituent part of the bigger city. Well I never!

You do realise you've probably pissed on his bonfire now don't you? :hehe:

xsnaggle
15-04-21, 18:51
Chichester is quite good too. nice old pubs, good theatre and nice people.

Tuerto
15-04-21, 19:49
Chichester is quite good too. nice old pubs, good theatre and nice people.

Yup, Chichester is a nice place.

tforturton
15-04-21, 20:28
LONDON. All human life is there.

islandblue
15-04-21, 21:18
Southampton, laid back city and close to the New Forest. Lived there in the early 80's and loved the atmosphere of The Dell, Proper old ground hemmed in by just about everything.

Des Parrot
16-04-21, 06:34
I’ll give Oxford a shout as it’s been missed so far.

RichardM
16-04-21, 06:50

See post #37 https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php?448451-Favourite-British-City-Other-Than-Cardiff&p=5185147&viewfull=1#post5185147

uncle bob
16-04-21, 06:58
Torquay is also one of my favourites along with Weymouth

Taunton Blue Genie
16-04-21, 09:41
Torquay is also one of my favourites along with Weymouth

They aren't really cities though....

uncle bob
16-04-21, 10:23
Cmon, All the same bar a cathedral

FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead
16-04-21, 12:50
Belfast and Newcastle. Both cities, of course, but still full of personable, down to earth people with a good sense of humour. Also both have some great bars. I'd put Swansea in that category, too, as well as Glasgow (although I only spent a week there).

I have a soft spot for Portsmouth partly because of personal memories but also because it has some great history and is surrounded on either side by some truly beautiful places.

I'm a bit love/hate with London. I love visiting the place, I love the scale, diversity, and opportunity of it. Working there was horrendous though. I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than do rush hour on the Tube every day.

life on mars
16-04-21, 14:42

cracking pubs and real ale

life on mars
16-04-21, 14:55
Cmon, All the same bar a cathedral

You have to be perfect to comment on cities and places to join this thread .

Please be aware of your unitary authorities and civil parishes

I get what you mean though Torquay as is Torbay .

If you stick strictly to CCMB City ruling and comments it sadly isolates many lovely places in Devon and Cornwall, you have the likes of Exeter .Plymouth and Truro which to be fair are not the greatest in that area .

If you fancy a real treat try the Berry head Hotel in Brixham right on the headland stunning views and lovely building.

:-):facepalm:

https://berryheadhotel.com/contact

Ivortheengine
17-04-21, 08:01
St David’s- lovely place

StraightOuttaCanton
17-04-21, 10:31
Belfast and Newcastle. Both cities, of course, but still full of personable, down to earth people with a good sense of humour. Also both have some great bars. I'd put Swansea in that category, too, as well as Glasgow (although I only spent a week there).

I have a soft spot for Portsmouth partly because of personal memories but also because it has some great history and is surrounded on either side by some truly beautiful places.

I'm a bit love/hate with London. I love visiting the place, I love the scale, diversity, and opportunity of it. Working there was horrendous though. I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than do rush hour on the Tube every day.

I spent my student life in Portsmouth (which to be fair was 30 years ago so it may have changed 🙂) and other than Old Portsmouth which is nice enough I wouldn’t put it in the same league as your other choices. I’m also intrigued as to the beautiful places surrounding it? Portsmouth is an island and the 3 places surrounding it are Havant & Waterlooville, Gosport and Hayling Island ... nothing special about any of them that I can remember, or are you talking about the Isle of Wight?

FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead
17-04-21, 11:39
I spent my student life in Portsmouth (which to be fair was 30 years ago so it may have changed 🙂) and other than Old Portsmouth which is nice enough I wouldn’t put it in the same league as your other choices. I’m also intrigued as to the beautiful places surrounding it? Portsmouth is an island and the 3 places surrounding it are Havant & Waterlooville, Gosport and Hayling Island ... nothing special about any of them that I can remember, or are you talking about the Isle of Wight?

I was thinking more Lee on the Solent on the one side, and Chichester, Arundel etc on the other.

It was actually Gosport that I lived in, in Fort Blockhouse right in the harbour. Stone's throw across the water from Gunwharf and the Spinnaker. Blockhouse itself has some incredible 15th century buildings. I think the MOD has sold it off now to real estate developers, although I may be mistaken.

William Treseder
17-04-21, 14:21
Surprised nobody’s mentioned Cornwall. Truro and Falmouth both nice places.

jon1959
17-04-21, 18:40
Surprised nobody’s mentioned Cornwall. Truro and Falmouth both nice places.

Nice places. Not cities.

William Treseder
17-04-21, 23:33
Nice places. Not cities.
Truro is.

jon1959
18-04-21, 08:47
Truro is.

True Ro.

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-04-21, 08:59
True Ro.

But not really cities though

Population of Truro is 18000

Thats about the size of Porthcawl

OK, its got a cathedral

So I suppose it qualifies but its a weak link

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-04-21, 09:01
Truro is.

its not really , its a small town with a cathedral

Pop back later when you have thought of something else

xsnaggle
18-04-21, 09:04
its not really , its a small town with a cathedral

Pop back later when you have thought of something else

It's a city. God's Wonderful Raiway even naked a locom0tive after it, "City of Truro"!

xsnaggle
18-04-21, 09:14
City of Truro also holds the record as the first Steam driven locomotive to travel at 100 MPH

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-04-21, 09:21
It's a city. God's Wonderful Raiway even naked a locom0tive after it, "City of Truro"!

Its a very sparsely populated place

Hereford is a city but its tiny

But its far bigger than Truro

William Treseder
18-04-21, 09:41
Its a very sparsely populated place

Hereford is a city but its tiny

But its far bigger than Truro

Don’t think the OP mentioned populations. Just City’s. Pop back later when you have something interesting to say.

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-04-21, 10:45
Don’t think the OP mentioned populations. Just City’s. Pop back later when you have something interesting to say.

Its pretty obvious that when people talk about uk cities they are referring to London, Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol , Sheffield , Cardiff etc

It seems everyone has understood that on the whole

I would rather you didn't pop back but if you have to , talk about Derby or somewhere like that instead of somewhere they make custard

tomcat
18-04-21, 10:57
London as I was born there and partially brought up before leaving as a teen but returned at 18 and now have a home close by.

Outside of that I actually prefer the rural villages but if pushed would say Chester, York, Bath and Bristol are all decent places.

Don’t get the love for Brighton as I find it a bit seedy and the beach is rubbish. If I had to pick a seaside city it would be Bournemouth but not sure that it has city status.

My wife and I stayed in a nice hotel on the seafront in Brighton. As we pulled in to the car park at the rear ,we witnessed two young, well dressed men shooting up. It was the first time we'd seen this and both found it shocking and extremely sad. The whole seafront area is grim, and littered with drugged up homeless youngsters who approach everyone for money. I thought the whole area was very down at heel and wouldn't rush back

Shrewsbury Blue
18-04-21, 13:58
Cambridge is good but totally overrun by tourists. Also my adopted home home town of Shrewsbuy. I actually live on the site of the old Gay Meadow football ground where many on here will have been to. Anyone else live on a former football ground?

Former Labour leader
18-04-21, 14:44
Cambridge is good but totally overrun by tourists. Also my adopted home home town of Shrewsbuy. I actually live on the site of the old Gay Meadow football ground where many on here will have been to. Anyone else live on a former football ground?
Do you get flooded?

Shrewsbury Blue
18-04-21, 15:31
Do you get flooded?

No because the houses are built on a hill but the communal garden regularly gets flooded in the winter. You can actually see swans swimming up it.

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-04-21, 15:54
No because the houses are built on a hill but the communal garden regularly gets flooded in the winter. You can actually see swans swimming up it.

My grandfather lived in one of the blocks of flats in Harlescott, Shrewsbury

splott parker
18-04-21, 19:00

Have you got your own personal man in a coracle to fetch the ball when it goes over your garden wall?:hehe:

xsnaggle
18-04-21, 19:11
Its pretty obvious that when people talk about uk cities they are referring to London, Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol , Sheffield , Cardiff etc

I would rather you didn't pop back but if you have to , talk about Derby or somewhere like that instead of somewhere they make custard

There you go changing what has been said to agree with your own narrative again. TBG and Jon spent effort pointing out that larger places mentioned were not cities, presumably because the don't have cathedrals, but don't let that get in the way of your opinions sludge.

uncle bob
18-04-21, 19:16
Have you got your own personal man in a coracle to fetch the ball when it goes over your garden wall?:hehe:

Why does he live there you ask?

Mainly because it's a challenge, a challenge for me, it's a challenge for the coracle, and because it has been done before -

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-04-21, 11:41
There you go changing what has been said to agree with your own narrative again. TBG and Jon spent effort pointing out that larger places mentioned were not cities, presumably because the don't have cathedrals, but don't let that get in the way of your opinions sludge.

who invented the skip ?

who invented the skip ?

The Bloop
19-04-21, 11:43

Fred Davies -

https://youtu.be/9NKPMRkXLMo

Taunton Blue Genie
19-04-21, 13:26

Urban settlements do not necessarily need cathedrals in order to be designated a city but I made my remark merely to be playful.
By the way, does anyone know why Newport was only designated as a city 19 years ago despite having a cathedral since 5 AD?

The etymology of the word 'town' is fascinating (to me anyway).

Zaun is the German word for fence.
Imagine a clutch of rudimentary dwellings enclosed by such a structure on order to protect the crops immediately around those dwellings and to prevent wild animals coming in.

Tuin is the Dutch word for garden and which is pronounced a little bit like Newportonians pronounce the word 'town'. Considering that the letter 'Z' in German often changes to a 'T' in Dutch (e.g. zwei > two, Zeit > tijd etc) and that it is often accompanied by a vowel change and you have the word 'Tuin' in Dutch i.e. the area within the aforementioned fence.

A slight vowel shift then brought us the word 'Town' in English i.e. the area of the settlement within a certain fence or boundary.

Tis all related and has a splendid logic.

The word 'City' comes from Latin, of course......

Taunton Blue Genie
19-04-21, 13:29
who invented the skip ?

who invented the skip ?

Was he a captain?

xsnaggle
19-04-21, 18:11
Was he a captain?

He was a jack fisherman.

splott parker
19-04-21, 18:13
Was he a captain?

No, he was a basket case.

xsnaggle
19-04-21, 18:18
Urban settlements do not necessarily need cathedrals in order to be designated a city but I made my remark merely to be playful.
By the way, does anyone know why Newport was only designated as a city 19 years ago despite having a cathedral since 5 AD?

The etymology of the word 'town' is fascinating (to me anyway).

Zaun is the German word for fence.
Imagine a clutch of rudimentary dwellings enclosed by such a structure on order to protect the crops immediately around those dwellings and to prevent wild animals coming in.

Tuin is the Dutch word for garden and which is pronounced a little bit like Newportonians pronounce the word 'town'. Considering that the letter 'Z' in German often changes to a 'T' in Dutch (e.g. zwei > two, Zeit > tijd etc) and that it is often accompanied by a vowel change and you have the word 'Tuin' in Dutch i.e. the area within the aforementioned fence.

A slight vowel shift then brought us the word 'Town' in English i.e. the area of the settlement within a certain fence or boundary.

Tis all related and has a splendid logic.

The word 'City' comes from Latin, of course......

Have you been to Newport lately???

I heard something a little while ago along the lines of
A hamlet is a colection of 4 or more dwellings.
A village is a hamlet with a church
A Town is a village wtih a church with a spire or something
A City is a town with a cathedral.

Dunno where it came from but it seemed it may have been quite possible in medieval times. Places can be nominated as cities by the monarch as happened with Cardiff and Swansea, whereas Llandaff was already a city by virtue of its cathedral church. Apparently it is also the seat of the largest bishopric in England and Wales.

Taunton Blue Genie
20-04-21, 03:12
No, I haven't been to Newport lately but if anyone can answer my question about it I would be genuinely interested.

Baloo
20-04-21, 06:35
No, I haven't been to Newport lately but if anyone can answer my question about it I would be genuinely interested.
Apparently City status does not apply automatically due to a cathedral but has to be applied for and granted by the monarch.

UK towns with cathedrals that aren't cities currently include Bury St Edmunds, Chelmsford, Blackburn and Guildford.

Taunton Blue Genie
20-04-21, 07:22
Apparently City status does not apply automatically due to a cathedral but has to be applied for and granted by the monarch.

UK towns with cathedrals that aren't cities currently include Bury St Edmunds, Chelmsford, Blackburn and Guildford.

Interesting, particularly regarding Bury St Edmunds and for a reason I won't bore you with. It's unlike me, I know :hehe:

The Bloop
20-04-21, 11:30

Wales has one aswell - Brecon

BLUETIT
20-04-21, 13:57

The City of Truro, is actually bigger than the City of London (not counting the boroughs)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London

SLUDGE FACTORY
20-04-21, 17:44
The City of Truro, is actually bigger than the City of London (not counting the boroughs)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London

Its all dodgy dealers in winebars

BLUETIT
20-04-21, 17:51
What about the "City of Llandaff"

Nice Pubs :thumbup:

Taunton Blue Genie
20-04-21, 18:02
What about the "City of Llandaff"

Nice Pubs :thumbup:

Don't bash the bishop.

xsnaggle
20-04-21, 19:05
Its all dodgy dealers in winebars

Why are they all dodgy?

Tuerto
20-04-21, 19:59
Why are they all dodgy?

I was more shocked by 'Wine Bars' I know Sludge is a bit behind the times and all that, but it isn't 1989 :hehe:

Jordi Culé
20-04-21, 21:07
I was more shocked by 'Wine Bars' I know Sludge is a bit behind the times and all that, but it isn't 1989 :hehe:

There’s still a wine bar in Ebbw Vale:biggrin:

uncle bob
12-05-21, 13:27

Look at YouTube videos.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/i-first-day-out-peterboroughs-20552626

Dobbo
12-05-21, 21:21
Edinburgh,Bath and York.

Dobbo
12-05-21, 21:24

Chelmsford is now designated a city.

jon1959
12-05-21, 21:52
Chelmsford is now designated a city.