PDA

View Full Version : Next Years Squad

Bothroyd's Diving Coach
16-04-21, 21:42
According to transfermarkt, the following are under contract at City for 21/22.

Goalkeepers
Alex Smithies
Dillon Phillips
Joe Day

Defence
Perry Ng
Sean Morrison
Aden Flint
Curtis Nelson
Joel Bagan

*Out of contract*
Sol Bamba
Ciaron Brown
Joe Bennett
Jordi Osei-Tutu

Midfield
Will Vaulks
Leandro Bacuna
Joe Ralls
Marlon Pack
Tom Sang
Jonny Williams
Lee Tomlin

Forwards
Gavin Whyte
Josh Murphy
Isaac Vassel
Kieffer Moore
Robert Glatzel
Max Watters
Mark Harris

*Out of Contract*
Junior Hoilett
Harry Wilson
Sheyi Ojo

Where do you think needs the most strengthening? Personally I feel it's difficult to prioritise any one area as we need so much. We look light on full backs and clearly aren't good enough at centre back without Mozza. In the middle we are dogged, yet static and laboured and are in desperate need of some mobility. With Junior/Wilson and Ojo all potentially leaving we could also do with re-enforcing our wide options and may even need another striker depending on how Mick feels about Watters and Glatzel!

I feel the squad needs so much to contend again so this summer may be the most critical we've had in some time!

BLUEAWAY
16-04-21, 22:03
Sorry to say it but I think it’s time for Ralls to move on.
Also Pack and Tomlin, Vassel and Whyte.
Thanks but goodbye to Hoilett and Bamba.
Murphy at the right price.

RichardM
16-04-21, 22:16
I thought Williams contract was only to the end of this season.

MOZZER2
16-04-21, 22:25
forget playing staff I would love to see Aidy Bothroyd being appointed as our manager who has currently left the England under 21 scene

in my view plays the right way and would bring in the right type of players

can't see us going progressive with MM in charge next season

jon1959
16-04-21, 22:35
Joe Day signed on a 2 year contract in summer 2019.

I don't think it was extended (why would it?) so he is gone in the summer.

RichardM
16-04-21, 22:37
forget playing staff I would love to see Aidy Bothroyd being appointed as our manager who has currently left the England under 21 scene

That's not going to happen and I have a feeling that you may be wrong about MM

MOZZER2
16-04-21, 22:45
That's not going to happen and I have a feeling that you may be wrong about MM

maybe wishful thinking on my behalf but think Bothroyd will be snapped by any progressive modern football club in the UK right now wish it was us !

Croesy Blue
17-04-21, 06:59

Plays the right way?! Have you ever watched an Aidy Boothroyd team?! His Coventry team were painful to watch as were Watford.

goats
17-04-21, 07:22
Decent defence if all fit, goalies ok. Our midfield always seems weak when we play other teams so surely this is where we need to strengthen? Great if we have the Lee Tomlin of tail end of last season but we can’t rely on that.....

BLUEAWAY
17-04-21, 07:46
Decent defence if all fit, goalies ok. Our midfield always seems weak when we play other teams so surely this is where we need to strengthen? Great if we have the Lee Tomlin of tail end of last season but we can’t rely on that.....

You’re right. We cannot rely on it. He has to go.

Eric the Half a Bee
17-04-21, 07:50
We also need an alternative to Kieffer Moore. Glatzel isn't good enough. Watters isn't, either.

Hilts
17-04-21, 07:55
We also need an alternative to Kieffer Moore. Glatzel isn't good enough. Watters isn't, either.

We may need 2. I reckon a decent offer and Kiefers gone.

goats
17-04-21, 08:12
You’re right. We cannot rely on it. He has to go.

Whose going to take him though on his reported 30k a week? Injury prone and last year of contract? He usually plays a blinder in that year anyway?

2b2bdoo
17-04-21, 08:20
It's hard because what I would like to see happen I know won't happen under MM

We need players all over the pitch.

Goalkeepers
Alex Smithies - keep unless wages is such an issue as reported
Dillon Phillips - No 1 going forward.
Joe Day - gone I believe.

Defence
Perry Ng - keep
Sean Morrison - must keep
Aden Flint - move on but obviously we won't.
Curtis Nelson - keep
Joel Bagan - keep

*Out of contract*
Sol Bamba - release
Ciaron Brown - not a fan but maybe a squad player on low wages.
Joe Bennett - release
Jordi Osei-Tutu - return

Summary
Need a left wing back need another centre back who can at least try and bring the ball out of the back 3.

Midfield
Will Vaulks - keep
Leandro Bacuna - try and move on
Joe Ralls - keep
Marlon Pack - try and move on
Tom Sang - keep
Jonny Williams - keep dependant on wages.
Lee Tomlin - nothing we can do with him. May get paid up.

Need at least two central midfielders both capable of being first choice. Big ask but really needed.

Forwards
Gavin Whyte - keep unless we can recoup. Some fee
Josh Murphy - keep unless we can recoup some fee
Isaac Vassel - See Tomlin above
Kieffer Moore - keep
Robert Glatzel - sell
Max Watters - loan out
Mark Harris - move on.

*Out of Contract*
Junior Hoilett - release
Harry Wilson - of we can keep him great but I don't see how.
Sheyi Ojo - return to Liverpool

Eric the Half a Bee
17-04-21, 08:38
We may need 2. I reckon a decent offer and Kiefers gone.

Yep, I think that's likely.

surge
17-04-21, 09:32
A lot will depend on what our budget is (how much it shrinks by) and how ready the youth players are to fill squad gaps.

Who are the players we can realistically sell to minimise impact of shrinking budget?

Who are the key senior players who will help the youth come through and win us games we shouldn't be winning?

Is it time to admit our mistake with Watters already (system fit rather than comment on quality) or is he a young player who deserves more time to settle before judgement? And can we move Glatzel on as well?

Players we want to move on will stay and players we want to keep will be moved on, most of our signings will be cheap or freebies, but having such an experienced manager should help youth players manage additional responsibility.

cardiff55
17-04-21, 10:23
Day, Williams and Mark Harris are all out of contract too, and I think all of them will leave. No point keeping Williams as he rarely plays and keeps a youngster off the bench. Harris has barely been seen under MM so he's probably on his way too.

City123
17-04-21, 12:24

You're kidding right? Plays poor football and somehow managed to finish bottom of a Euros group with a wonderfully talented England U21 side

tforturton
18-04-21, 10:19
I'd say the full-backs are pretty sorted. Perry Ng on the right, with Tom Sang as cover. Bennett and Bagan on the left.
We're lacking creativity in the midfield, and a couple of back up strikers. We have Watters and Harris, but it means changing the way we play.
Personally, I think we should go back to 4-4-2.

2b2bdoo
18-04-21, 11:44
I'd say the full-backs are pretty sorted. Perry Ng on the right, with Tom Sang as cover. Bennett and Bagan on the left.
We're lacking creativity in the midfield, and a couple of back up strikers. We have Watters and Harris, but it means changing the way we play.
Personally, I think we should go back to 4-4-2.

Bennett is out of contract and will be out for some time, I'm sure I read he won't be fit for the new season.

I can't see MM changing from this formation. He talked about playing players in there correct positions and at the time he did and 5 at the back made sense. Since then he has put Ralls to left wing back rather than try and switch things up.

surge
18-04-21, 12:08
Bennett is out of contract and will be out for some time, I'm sure I read he won't be fit for the new season.

I can't see MM changing from this formation. He talked about playing players in there correct positions and at the time he did and 5 at the back made sense. Since then he has put Ralls to left wing back rather than try and switch things up.

But it doesn't work without Morrison (an additional threat in opposition's box and somewhat competent on the ball) and recent results are prove of that. It also asks too much of Moore when he's deserving of a rest.

Going to four at the back also wouldn't work because it would expose Sang too much and selling Cunningham means we're short on full-backs.

Both Harris and Mick have found formations/systems that are a short-term fix but Harris' plans derailed when he tried something else and now previously made complaints are cropping up on here again under MM. Some of the same issues will be seen next year too as it's unlikely significant change can be made to both the defence and the midfield (they're each fine as individuals but balance is all wrong) especially with so many wider players leaving and needing replacements.

DubaiDai
18-04-21, 13:33
It's hard because what I would like to see happen I know won't happen under MM

We need players all over the pitch.

Goalkeepers
Alex Smithies - keep unless wages is such an issue as reported
Dillon Phillips - No 1 going forward.
Joe Day - gone I believe.

Defence
Perry Ng - keep
Sean Morrison - must keep
Aden Flint - move on but obviously we won't.
Curtis Nelson - keep
Joel Bagan - keep

*Out of contract*
Sol Bamba - release
Ciaron Brown - not a fan but maybe a squad player on low wages.
Joe Bennett - release
Jordi Osei-Tutu - return

Summary
Need a left wing back need another centre back who can at least try and bring the ball out of the back 3.

Midfield
Will Vaulks - keep
Leandro Bacuna - try and move on
Joe Ralls - keep
Marlon Pack - try and move on
Tom Sang - keep
Jonny Williams - keep dependant on wages.
Lee Tomlin - nothing we can do with him. May get paid up.

Need at least two central midfielders both capable of being first choice. Big ask but really needed.

Forwards
Gavin Whyte - keep unless we can recoup. Some fee
Josh Murphy - keep unless we can recoup some fee
Isaac Vassel - See Tomlin above
Kieffer Moore - keep
Robert Glatzel - sell
Max Watters - loan out
Mark Harris - move on.

*Out of Contract*
Junior Hoilett - release
Harry Wilson - of we can keep him great but I don't see how.
Sheyi Ojo - return to Liverpool

We really should keep Bennet. The formation was going well with him and Ng as wing backs. Since Bennett has been out we really have gone backwards.
Would not keep Ralls. If we release all the forwards listed above we will be extremely short.
Cannot see City spending a lot of money in the summer and 4-5 low value players will not do it

2b2bdoo
18-04-21, 15:08
We really should keep Bennet. The formation was going well with him and Ng as wing backs. Since Bennett has been out we really have gone backwards.
Would not keep Ralls. If we release all the forwards listed above we will be extremely short.
Cannot see City spending a lot of money in the summer and 4-5 low value players will not do it

Yeah it would be a case of seeing who is out of contract that can be better than Harris and Glatzel.

It's hard to say who should stay and go as it all depends on who we can actually get rid of.

Always been a Bennett fan but if wages need to be cut then I can see him going with Bagan and brining someone else in as back up. Depends how much Bennett is prepared to drop in wages.