19-04-21, 09:37
A week away from a cup final.
Top flight football can do one today.

billy.ronson
19-04-21, 09:38
good timing .... announce it whilst everyone else is looking elsewhere

chrisp_1927
19-04-21, 09:51
One of the stupidest managerial appointments of recent times. Even more crazy, is that this utter joke will probably find himself at another big club quite soon

Rjk
19-04-21, 09:51
One of the stupidest managerial appointments of recent times. Even more crazy, is that this utter joke will probably find himself at another big club quite soon

I think he's done at the elite level

City123
19-04-21, 09:53
He should have been done post United, can't quite believe Spurs got rid of Pochettino to bring him in

chrisp_1927
19-04-21, 09:56
He should be, but he just seems to keep getting good jobs.

Eric the Half a Bee
19-04-21, 10:02
Wouldn't it be great if he told Levy that the Super League idea is bollocks and that got him the sack? Doubt it, but it would be good!

goats
19-04-21, 10:02

He’s probably still getting paid off from Man Utd, Madrid and Chelsea....

surge
19-04-21, 10:03
Spurs probably have a shallower squad in terms of talent than most but have played more games this year than most too. That might be enough mitigation for Mourinho to get one more top job but the pressure on that next job will be huge, however if this is the end at top level it will be sad to see such a character go before getting the chance in a cup final that he's earned.

Linking it back to Super League, Spurs have built a massive stadium and now have terminated a massive managerial contract all before (probably) not getting into the Champions League. This is a club that's made a massive mistake in this appointment and the consequences should be losing out on global fanbase/investment but now they get to weasel their way around that fact...

billy.ronson
19-04-21, 10:10
Spurs have a tie in with the NFL , sharing stadium with Jacksonville Jaguars. Don't forget they still need to pay for the stadium which has largely sat empty since its build as all the concerts, NFL games and other planned events haven't been held at the stadium due to Covid

Rjk
19-04-21, 10:18
watch Mourihnio try to make out he was sacked for taking a stand against the European super league, instead of taking a champions league team into mid table obscurity.

MacAdder
19-04-21, 10:19
Spurs probably have a shallower squad in terms of talent than most but have played more games this year than most too. That might be enough mitigation for Mourinho to get one more top job but the pressure on that next job will be huge, however if this is the end at top level it will be sad to see such a character go before getting the chance in a cup final that he's earned.

Linking it back to Super League, Spurs have built a massive stadium and now have terminated a massive managerial contract all before (probably) not getting into the Champions League. This is a club that's made a massive mistake in this appointment and the consequences should be losing out on global fanbase/investment but now they get to weasel their way around that fact...

I'm no fan of JM but to sack your manager before a cup final that, as you say, has been earned is ruthless.

My guess he was rubbing his hands at the real prospect of giving Citeh a run for their money after their loss in the FA Cup and eyes on bigger prizes.

Is it any surprise though where Daniel Levy, is concerned?

MacAdder
19-04-21, 10:24
watch Mourihnio try to make out he was sacked for taking a stand against the European super league, instead of taking a champions league team into mid table obscurity.

Guaranteed to be deflectng the blame.

Will he be done at the top level?
Should be but with this super league anything can happen and the owners will require big names to attract big audiences.

They don't come any bigger than Jose Mourinho, even if for the wrong reasons.

the other bob wilson
19-04-21, 10:26
Seriously, did anyone on here believe that this would not be the outcome when Mourinho was appointed at Spurs? It's all been so predictable with the only slight surprise for me being that it's come a little bit sooner than it usually does with Mourinho.

If, as I suspect, the answer to the question I asked is no, how come us lot on a messageboard for a Championship club knew what was coming for Spurs and their fans, how come the decision makers at the club didn't?

billy.ronson
19-04-21, 10:29
Spurs owners would have been swayed by the fact that he normally wins a few trophies in 1st/2nd season before it all implodes

Rjk
19-04-21, 10:32
Seriously, did anyone on here believe that this would not be the outcome when Mourinho was appointed at Spurs? It's all been so predictable with the only slight surprise for me being that it's come a little bit sooner than it usually does with Mourinho.

If, as I suspect, the answer to the question I asked is no, how come us lot on a messageboard for a Championship club knew what was coming for Spurs and their fans, how come the decision makers at the club didn't?

someone on twitter (I forget who) stated at the time of his appointment with Spurs - with each new job he takes his level of success is less and the amount of mess he leaves behind is more.
this seems pretty accurate to me.

JumpersforGoalposts
19-04-21, 10:57
Disrupting the whole coaching set up in the run up to a Cup Final seems bizarre.
IMHO it suggests either there has been a massive disagreement on something behind the scenes or they made the decision some time ago but were concerned that it would look far worse sacking him after winning them a trophy.

The Hooded Claw
19-04-21, 10:59
It’s bang on time - well, maybe I’d have expected him to leave at the end of the season.
Maybe the timing is to try and hide the Super League story, rather than the other way around.

The Lone Gunman
19-04-21, 11:46
someone on twitter (I forget who) stated at the time of his appointment with Spurs - with each new job he takes his level of success is less and the amount of mess he leaves behind is more.

That may well be true and this is not a defence of Mourinho as such, but it does seem that the influence people like him can have at the big clubs is diminishing with time. For instance, how many of the signings made by Spurs during Mourinho's time there were down to Jose himself? I somehow doubt Bale was for starters. In these days of all-powerful CEOs and Directors of Football, it's difficult to establish who is actually responsible for what, whether it be good or bad.

the other bob wilson
19-04-21, 13:02
Disrupting the whole coaching set up in the run up to a Cup Final seems bizarre.
IMHO it suggests either there has been a massive disagreement on something behind the scenes or they made the decision some time ago but were concerned that it would look far worse sacking him after winning them a trophy.

I thought the same about the timing, but, judging by what I heard on the radio today from one of the better BBC football correspondents,, the dressing room had been lost to such an extent that it could be argued that they definitely have a better chance of winning now.

life on mars
19-04-21, 13:29
He should have been done post United, can't quite believe Spurs got rid of Pochettino to bring him in

Yep takes some believing .

Julian Nagelsmann perhaps ??

Think Jose knows he is a short sharp appointment , Levy got someone in , did the club video documentary ,appointment of Jose covered up the dreadful loss of Pochettino, Jose pockets another couple more million in the bank , next fool please step up .

Majorblue
19-04-21, 13:30
Wouldn't it be great if he told Levy that the Super League idea is bollocks and that got him the sack? Doubt it, but it would be good!

Rumours are that is nearer the truth than Levy would have liked.

Apparently, he refused to take the players out onto the training field as a protest against the Super League and he was given the elbow as a result.

No idea if this is accurate or not but several people have told me similar versions of the same story.

life on mars
19-04-21, 15:47
Rumours are that is nearer the truth than Levy would have liked.

Apparently, he refused to take the players out onto the training field as a protest against the Super League and he was given the elbow as a result.

No idea if this is accurate or not but several people have told me similar versions of the same story.

Or he he pushed the language towards Levy and the subject matter knowing he was a dead man walking ?

ManBearPig
19-04-21, 16:18
Hope they dont try and pinch Big Mick from us.

delmbox
19-04-21, 16:21
If there's one thing he's definitely good at it's getting a team ready for a one off big game like a final, and he gets sacked the week before one, just when the Super League is announced. Convenient!

xsnaggle
19-04-21, 17:54

It is the outcome for almost every manager, they end by getting sacked. It goes with the territory.

But according to a pundit on the radio today from the Guardian (Or the times, they were both on) he will almost certainly walk away with about £10 million in his sky.
Not a bad reward for failure is it? :hehe:

Rjk
04-05-21, 13:38

and he's back- head coach of Roma next season

MacAdder
04-05-21, 13:41
'Mourinho to join Roma next season'

http://www.skysports.com/share/12296636

Some people just never learn :shrug:

Rjk
04-05-21, 13:45

three year contract as well

MacAdder
04-05-21, 14:18

Job offer
Given war chest
Spends big
Initial success
Players eventually become disillusioned with him and/or his tactics
Results plummet
Sacked with nice payoff
Nice few months break
Repeat

No wonder he always has that smirk on his face.
He keeps being rewarded for doing a crap job :facepalm:

Der Kaiser
04-05-21, 14:34
Think there's still a place for Mourinho in the game, but the chances for success are becoming increasingly slim. He needs a team choc full of horrible ****ers, no surprise his style failed at Spurs. More of an indictment against Spurs' players and their culture than Mourinho himself.

The Hooded Claw
04-05-21, 15:03
It’s the three year contract that is baffling. He rarely stays that long!

Rjk
04-05-21, 15:09
Think there's still a place for Mourinho in the game, but the chances for success are becoming increasingly slim. He needs a team choc full of horrible ****ers, no surprise his style failed at Spurs. More of an indictment against Spurs' players and their culture than Mourinho himself.

His style of football is increasingly getting left behind.
He had some really good players at spurs and they would go ahead in games and then tried to grind out a 1-0, but the attacking quality throughout the premier league is just too good to do that these days.

He also at every club scapegoats individual players and publicly lambasts them. Look at luke shaw at manu since he left - he's probably the best left back in the league this season. It usually ends in the entire dressing room hating him.

At the last few clubs he's managed he's left their squad in a worse state than he took over. His trophy count is very impressive though - he's very much a "win now" manager, he might get you a trophy in the first season or two, but he'll spend a shit load of money, alienate all the players, not bring any youngsters through and leave you with an ageing squad that hates him and each other.

surge
04-05-21, 15:21
Parkin has been quite clear on his podcast that when Malky came in he created an in-group and an out-group with the latter not getting a chance. It appears that Jose does this as well, except players pushed aside are usually more talented than Jon Parkin and on longer/more expensive contracts so less likely to leave quietly, which suggests they're either of same managerial school or Malky was directly influenced by Jose at the time.

Not a surprise his next (last?) job is in Italy where all the usual criticism doesn't apply to his previous time there. Make or break time for his reputation as a manager though.

goats
04-05-21, 15:42

How many 10 million quid pay offs can you get in 5 years

life on mars
04-05-21, 17:01

Perhaps is cheaper risk than buying players for many more millions and failing , bearing in mind Vaulks is worth 6 million

NYCBlue
05-05-21, 02:23
He first won the Champions' League in 2004. He last won it in 2010. He's had a phenomenal career. It's just not his time anymore.

the other bob wilson
05-05-21, 07:39
I think Mourinho is one of the best examples of the view that managers get more cautious as they get older - that said, he was always more cautious than the group of younger managers that emerged about fifteen years ago and one in particular, Pep, seems to have become something of an obsession with Mourinho. I think he's lucky to get such a good job (albeit, rather like Spurs, at a level down from the sort of clubs he managed in his pomp) because it seems like five years plus since he's won anything worthwhile.

surge
05-05-21, 11:18
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56985925

It's a very different club that he's joining in a country where he's achieved his greatest success and has his reputation most intact. Will be very interesting to watch what happens next.