PDA

View Full Version : Harsh? Scott Johnson's (WOL) verdict Harry Wilson

Forest Green Bluebird
26-04-21, 16:21
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-star-harry-wilson-fell-20465868

Would he have had a better season at Swansea?

Rjk
26-04-21, 16:33
He's a talented player. If you look at assists he's joint second on the list for the division, with Harvey Elliott on 11 and behind Emi Buendia on 16. Both Buendia and Elliott have been touted as having incredible season (in fairness Buendia also has 14 goals and leads the way on so many attacking stats it's unreal, and Elliott is only 17 still). However, if you look at the amount of times they are getting the ball - Wilson has made 681 passes, Elliot about 2 times as many and Buendia about 3 times as many!. Blackburn and Norwich are clearly doing a much better job of finding ways to get their talented players on the ball in dangerous areas than we have. For Wilson to be up there with them playing in this Cardiff team I think reflects quite well.

Dave Blue
26-04-21, 17:06
He was too good for his team mates quite frankly. Messi would look average in our team.

Forest Green Bluebird
26-04-21, 17:19
He was too good for his team mates quite frankly. Messi would look average in our team.

I tend to agree.

Similar to Bellamy's stint at Cardiff?

Forest Green Bluebird
26-04-21, 17:26
He's a talented player. If you look at assists he's joint second on the list for the division, with Harvey Elliott on 11 and behind Emi Buendia on 16. Both Buendia and Elliott have been touted as having incredible season (in fairness Buendia also has 14 goals and leads the way on so many attacking stats it's unreal, and Elliott is only 17 still). However, if you look at the amount of times they are getting the ball - Wilson has made 681 passes, Elliot about 2 times as many and Buendia about 3 times as many!. Blackburn and Norwich are clearly doing a much better job of finding ways to get their talented players on the ball in dangerous areas than we have. For Wilson to be up there with them playing in this Cardiff team I think reflects quite well.

That's a decent analysis. I wonder how the stats are recorded. It can't just be the microchip in the back of the shirts.

the other bob wilson
26-04-21, 17:42

Good post, we’re a hard side for “proper” footballers to play in.

life on mars
26-04-21, 18:03
I think he has talent , however he should be doing more in this league whatever his teammates skills are .

LeningradCowboy
26-04-21, 18:24
Good post, we’re a hard side for “proper” footballers to play in.

Lee Tomlin was able to overcome that last season. I was hoping for a similar impact from Harry Wilson.

LeningradCowboy
26-04-21, 18:33

Do those assist numbers include corners and free kicks?

Rjk
26-04-21, 20:47
Do those assist numbers include corners and free kicks?

yes why wouldn't they

Rjk
26-04-21, 20:51
Lee Tomlin was able to overcome that last season. I was hoping for a similar impact from Harry Wilson.

Tomlin had 8 goals and 10 assists, Wilson has, so far, 4 goals and 11 assists. perhaps if McCarthy didn't keep dropping him to play ralls or Bacuna as a number 10 he'd have more.
in any case it's a similar impact in my opinion

Rjk
26-04-21, 20:51
That's a decent analysis. I wonder how the stats are recorded. It can't just be the microchip in the back of the shirts.

mostly these days it's automatically logged from video

Pedro de la Rosa
26-04-21, 22:46
Tomlin had 8 goals and 10 assists, Wilson has, so far, 4 goals and 11 assists. perhaps if McCarthy didn't keep dropping him to play ralls or Bacuna as a number 10 he'd have more.
in any case it's a similar impact in my opinion

Wilson must have about 8 assists from corners. Let's be honest, he's been a bit disappointing but he isn't someone like Tomlin. In a really good team, he'd be outstanding at this level and would out perform Tomlin, whereas for us, a fully fit Tomlin has more ability to drag someone like us along. Wilson flits in and out of games so much, the same criticism he got at Bournemouth last season. I'd love him back, mind.

SunderlandBluebird
26-04-21, 22:47
Would disagree tbh and IMO Wilson probably regretted the move within 5 games of being here.

Not sure why articles always appear from him as if a spokesman for the fans as he quite often goes completely against the general view of the fans on Twitter to generate likes or reaction. Wales online is like the sun these days

Trigger
27-04-21, 01:02
He has done well, if he wasn't someone we already knew of from the Welsh setup and wasn't on loan from Liverpool he would have had a good season for everyone.

Only thing I'd compare to is Tomlin who had one less assist and 4 more goals from 7 less starts. He also had to play in this team, also without a striker like Moore who could hold the ball up.

the other bob wilson
27-04-21, 06:14

Tomlin was virtually anonymous in most of the first halves he played last season and much the same applies to Wilson this time around. Some of Tomlin's best games last season were when he was introduced as a substitute against tiring defences and, for me, it was the fact that our opponents were less fit and vigilant than they had been that was more responsible for the damage he caused than any increase in the creativity of his team mates. Similar applies to Wilson - probably because Wycombe didn't know what to expect from him, Rubin Colwill made more of an impact in the first fifteen minutes of Saturday's match than Tomlin and Wilson have done in that period in most of the games they've started over the past two seasons

WJ99mobile
27-04-21, 06:45
He wouldn’t have done any better at Swansea since they have become more direct

He would have done better at Norwich mind.

He doesn’t fit here. He’s too slow to play out wide in a counter attack and just hasn’t performed well in the middle probably a mix between him and his outlets.

He needs more fluid football. He won’t get that here.

Rjk
27-04-21, 07:28
if Murphy, or Colwill or Evans or Whyte suddenly get 4 goals and 11 assists next season people will be cock-a-hoop.
Wilson does it and it's a poor season somehow

WJ99mobile
27-04-21, 08:17
if Murphy, or Colwill or Evans or Whyte suddenly get 4 goals and 11 assists next season people will be cock-a-hoop.

I know what your saying but Wilson should have torn this division apart. The fact people aren’t gutted when he doesn’t start speaks volumes

Rjk
27-04-21, 08:32
Wilson must have about 8 assists from corners. Let's be honest, he's been a bit disappointing but he isn't someone like Tomlin. In a really good team, he'd be outstanding at this level and would out perform Tomlin, whereas for us, a fully fit Tomlin has more ability to drag someone like us along. Wilson flits in and out of games so much, the same criticism he got at Bournemouth last season. I'd love him back, mind.

4 from corners, 2 from freekicks, the rest from open play I think. But goals from set pieces don't count any less!

the other bob wilson
27-04-21, 09:30
I know what your saying but Wilson should have torn this division apart. The fact people aren’t gutted when he doesn’t start speaks volumes

I defy anyone to tear this division apart while playing for us given how we've gone about playing our football for the last six or seven years.

surge
27-04-21, 09:38

People on here have also moaned about both managers, the formation, the midfield and attack - even Moore got criticised recently. Tomlin did manage to grab games by scruff of neck last year in a more obvious way but his defensive duties were less, he spent a good amount of time coming off the bench and team around him was happily in form.

Facts are that Wilson's not as good as Mount (in a few years we'll probably be saying that about 95% of premier League players) who helped him at Derby and we don't play to his strengths. He's not shone as we expected but played well and certainly well enough to be on player of the year list and to be picked up by premier League club.

chrisp_1927
27-04-21, 09:44
I find it hard to blame the rest of the team for Wilsons performances, because he seemed exactly the same when I watched him for Wales as he was for cardiff. He is capable of real quality, but just doesn't show for the ball enough.

Eric the Half a Bee
27-04-21, 10:03
When Wilson has started we've won 1.55 points a game on average.

When Wilson hasn't started we've won 1.23 points a game on average.

Rjk
27-04-21, 10:12
When Wilson has started we've won 1.55 points a game on average.

When Wilson hasn't started we've won 1.23 points a game on average.

We'd have needed 1.75 ppg to be in the playoffs this season - that seems high compared to usual.

Eric the Half a Bee
27-04-21, 10:29
We'd have needed 1.75 ppg to be in the playoffs this season - that seems high compared to usual.

It's very high.

In 2014/15, Ipswich finished 6th with 78 points. Wolves missed out with 78 points and Derby had 77 in 8th!!

In 2016/17, Fulham finished 6th with 80 points, 5 points above Leeds. That's the highest points total for the Championship.

Across the 3 lower divisions, 82 points for finishing 6th was achieved by Stoke in 1999/2000. We finished 6th in our playoff winning season of 2002/03 with 81 points.

The average since the advent of the playoffs is 73.6 points. Prior to the advent of the playoffs, using the iffy method of awarding 3 points for a win, the average points for finishing 6th was 65.6. That was with only 42 games a season, though. Pre playoffs, the side finishing 6th had won 1.56 points a game. Since the playoffs it is 1.6 points a game, but draws were more commonplace when there were only 2 points for a win.

J R Hartley
27-04-21, 14:35

Its the Cardiff City way. Fans cant wait to knock certain players down, usually flair / creative players. Whittingham and Bothroyd are two of the best players to pull on a City shirt in the last 30 years and they had their fair share of boo-boys.

As per your first post for Wilson to get the numbers he has in a team playing the way we play is most impressive. So what if some of them are off corners, in much the same Whitts used to take them they are an asset. Its a skill in itself being to whip crosses in off a dead ball like that. I watched the Leicester game last night and Tielemens, who is a very good player, hit the first defender a number of times from a corner. A pet hate of mine. You swear anyone can take a good corner the way people dismiss assists off corners.

the other bob wilson
27-04-21, 17:45
I find it hard to blame the rest of the team for Wilsons performances, because he seemed exactly the same when I watched him for Wales as he was for cardiff. He is capable of real quality, but just doesn't show for the ball enough.

After watching the goals Wilson scored against Belgium and Finland, how can you say he was the same for Wales as when he was playing for us?

BLUETIT
28-04-21, 08:18
Who the F UCK is Scott Johnson ?????

splott parker
28-04-21, 08:46
Who the F UCK is Scott Johnson ?????

I’ve wondered that, does anyone on here know him? Or sit by him in the ground? Most prominent, or as prominent as he is to have an Echo column, City fans are usually in a circle of match going mates. :shrug:

chrisp_1927
29-04-21, 15:13
I thought his goals were real quality, but he was still anonymous for large stretches of those matches. I think a player with his talent should be demanding the ball. The likes of ralls, vaulks and pack aren't the most creative, but they're also not complete clogged. I think if Harry had been showing for the ball they'd have managed to find him.

I do personally still believe he will be a top , top player mind. His goalscoring ability, and that wand of a left foot.

WJ99mobile
29-04-21, 15:37
We don't play high enough up the pitch to use him to full effectiveness

Rjk
29-04-21, 15:46
We don't play high enough up the pitch to use him to full effectiveness

we don't play enough football, I'm sure if you looked at something like assists or key passes per possession he'd be right up there

The Lone Gunman
29-04-21, 15:50
In terms on of influence on games and overall quality of play, rank the following:

Junior Hoilett in 2017/18
Jason Koumas in 2005/06
Harry Wilson in 2020/21
Lee Tomlin in 2019/20

Rjk
29-04-21, 16:17
In terms on of influence on games and overall quality of play, rank the following:

Junior Hoilett in 2017/18
Jason Koumas in 2005/06
Harry Wilson in 2020/21
Lee Tomlin in 2019/20

in terms of direct goal involvements (G+A)
Hoilett 20
Tomlin has 18
Wilson 15*
koumas 12

these don't tell the full story of course but it's a good starting point.

the best player I've ever seen at this level was Adel taarabt who with 19 goals and 21 assists clocks up 40 direct goal involvements.

the next best is probably Buendia this season who has 31

surge
29-04-21, 16:26
Earlier in the season Ojo and Wilson were playing wide in 4-4-2 and having to track back to our box then carry it forward. Goals and assists important part of the comparison but Koumas and Tomlin certainly weren't asked to do that level of defensive work.

WJ99mobile
29-04-21, 16:32
Hoilett 20
Tomlin has 18
Wilson 15*
koumas 12

the best player I've ever seen at this level was Adel taarabt who with 19 goals and 21 assists clocks up 40 direct goal involvements.

I would have to agree with Taarabt

Rjk
29-04-21, 16:33
Hoilett 20
Tomlin has 18
Wilson 15*
koumas 12

It's worth saying that of the 4, Wilson seems by far the most consistent season to season. The season before or after those good seasons for the other three I don't think they did much other than the odd glimpse of their quality. If we somehow get him back here next season I'd be pretty confident he'd be a top player at this level again.

Rjk
29-04-21, 16:37
I would have to agree with Taarabt

It's hard to imagine how it went so wrong for him. He's 31 now and I think still warming the bench at Benfica (I suppose there are worse ways to earn a living, I very much doubt he'd swap that for my office job and a huge pay cut, for example). He was that good that even Neil Warnock let him have a free role.

The Hooded Claw
01-05-21, 16:17
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-star-harry-wilson-fell-20465868

Would he have had a better season at Swansea?

This article has aged well...

life on mars
01-05-21, 16:24
Just feel after playing 36 games it would have been have been nice to see a few more sparking performances like today from the lad , and in doing so we would be in a better place and in the play off's ? , if he class as folk say someone someone surely will buy him ?? he certainty did put on a great shop window performance today , for suitors to like ??

2b2bdoo
01-05-21, 16:28
Didn't see today, did he play any further forward?

City123
01-05-21, 16:46
We actually played the ball on the floor today, shockingly that meant Wilson played well

Rjk
01-05-21, 16:47
Hoilett 20
Tomlin has 18
Wilson 15*
koumas 12

Hoilett 20
Tomlin 18
Wilson 18*
Koumas 12

J R Hartley
01-05-21, 18:00
Nice to see Wilson make Scott Johnson look silly today

jeepster
01-05-21, 18:43

Oh yes

xsnaggle
01-05-21, 20:57
Call me an old cynic but I was so surprised to see him play so well and showcase his undoubted talent just at the end of the week when the talk has been about us not being able to keep him next season and him wanting a club to buy him so he can make a permanent move and stop going out on loan.

Reminds me of Tomlin's contract extension performances.

Gofer Blue
01-05-21, 21:58
Call me an old cynic but I was so surprised to see him play so well and showcase his undoubted talent just at the end of the week when the talk has been about us not being able to keep him next season and him wanting a club to buy him so he can make a permanent move and stop going out on loan.

This!

2b2bdoo
01-05-21, 22:16
Just feel after playing 36 games it would have been have been nice to see a few more sparking performances like today from the lad , and in doing so we would be in a better place and in the play off's ? , if he class as folk say someone someone surely will buy him ?? he certainty did put on a great shop window performance today , for suitors to like ??

Not really, 2 were free kicks, I doubt he has purposely missed free kicks previously.

the other bob wilson
02-05-21, 07:39

You’re an old cynic.

The Lone Gunman
02-05-21, 08:52

Really? You reckon? On the contrary, I'd say Wilson's performance yesterday underlined exactly what Johnson was saying.

Nobody doubts Harry Wilson's natural ability - not Echo writer Scott Johnson, not Mick McCarthy, who regularly substitutes him or drops him altogether, not Jurgen Klopp, who has sent him out on loan during each of the last four seasons, and not me either. But the big question is how often that ability manifests itself and unfortunately it hasn't been often enough in a Cardiff shirt.

Before yesterday's stunning hat-trick at St Andrews, Wilson was on a run of 12 Championship appearances without a goal. In fact, he'd scored just two goals in his previous 32 appearances for City, which is a really poor return from a player with his talent, especially in a division that has been seriously lacking in quality throughout 2020/21.

When Wilson arrived at Cardiff back in October, he had a reputation of being a free-kick specialist and he netted two brilliant set-pieces at Birmingham. However, those were his first for the Bluebirds. It took him until the 40th minute of his 37th City appearance to score from a free-kick, by which time the season was effectively over. I bet none of us thought that would be the case when Harry initially arrived at the CCS.

There have been periods during games this season when Wilson has looked top drawer, but there have also been plenty of matches in which he's been almost totally anonymous. A player with his technical abilities should be able to impose himself at this level far more often and his influence on those around him should be much greater. But I guess that particular flaw in his game is one of the primary reasons why he ended up on loan at City in the first place.

Yesterday's glittering performance came in a pressure-free dead rubber against an experimental Birmingham side. Afterwards, Wilson told the press: "I've had the game time here at Cardiff. I'm in double figures for assists and I've got seven goals, so my numbers are okay, but they could be better."

Harry wasn't wrong and neither was Scott Johnson.

blue lewj
02-05-21, 09:05
TLG pretty much sums it up above.

I don't think outside of his set pieces he is that great a player otherwise and I stand by that.
He is way too inconsistent with it.

I think the test of a loan player is how gutted you are to see them leave at the end of the season. I'm not at all really. I think what we were paying him could be saved and although he has that x factor in some games when he looks at it and interested, those times are few and far between.

He has come out and said he thinks he is good enough to be in the Liverpool squad. I can't see it.

blue lewj
02-05-21, 09:06
By squad I mean matchday squad by the way.

I can't see him playing for Liverpool. Not in any meaningful games anyway.

surge
02-05-21, 09:14
Really? You reckon? On the contrary, I'd say Wilson's performance yesterday underlined exactly what Johnson was saying.

Harry wasn't wrong and neither was Scott Johnson.

He also said:

I've had to adapt my game because the way we've played here has been different to what I'm used to.

But it was up to me to adapt my game and make sure I can help the team.

My assists this year have been better than previous years. Although maybe my goals haven't been as much, I've helped the team in different ways.

My off-the-ball work has definitely got better throughout the season.

I don't take issue in what Scott Johnson is saying and think those who are saying one good performance makes him look foolish have missed the point, but I also disagree with your assessment especially saying MM regularly subs Harry or drops him which gives an incomplete idea of his time here. Wilson returned to the side 62 minutes into Mick's second game against Millwall and has started majority of games since only once being subbed before 70 minutes - subbed to rest him/freshen things up rather than poor performance.

I'm pretty sure he'll describe this season as worst yet numbers wise but also that there is only one player more creative than him in the league. As fans, we'll be disappointed he didn't light up the stage more often but should also recognise that only Hoilett has has had a better season than him from the names you selected earlier in this thread and none of those names have had to adapt their game as much as he has.

A season easily good enough to attract premier league bidders but not those focused on European spots. A side like Leeds or Villa who are on the cusp of challenging for Europe would be about right.

The Lone Gunman
02-05-21, 09:18
A season easily good enough to attract premier league bidders.....

We'll see.

surge
02-05-21, 09:25
We'll see.

I'm just waiting for this thread to change subject matter so we can start talking about how good Hoilett was that year. We're on the third page and still on subject of OP which doesn't happen too often on here...

dml1954
02-05-21, 09:28
TLG pretty much sums it up above.

I don't think outside of his set pieces he is that great a player otherwise and I stand by that.
He is way too inconsistent with it.

I think the test of a loan player is how gutted you are to see them leave at the end of the season. I'm not at all really. I think what we were paying him could be saved and although he has that x factor in some games when he looks at it and interested, those times are few and far between.

He has come out and said he thinks he is good enough to be in the Liverpool squad. I can't see it.

So what about his first goal yesterday then ? Mishit it I suppose did he and it luckily swerved into the net from about 35 yards !! Plus the one against Belgium for Wales. You are just floundering around trying to cover up previous silly and derogatory comments about a player who is probably the most technically gifted player in the Championship. He has been worth every penny of whatever we have paid him and I for one have enjoyed seeing him being a City player this season. He is the one player in our side who gets people off their seats when he receives the ball and one of the few players in our squad worth paying to go and see. We will badly miss him next season.

The Lone Gunman
02-05-21, 09:31
I also disagree with your assessment especially saying MM regularly subs Harry or drops him which gives an incomplete idea of his time here. Wilson returned to the side 62 minutes into Mick's second game against Millwall and has started majority of games since only once being subbed before 70 minutes - subbed to rest him/freshen things up rather than poor performance.

That's your opinion, but it's only that - truth is you don't know why McCarthy has been subbing Wilson so often.

Games since McCarthy took over:

v Barnsley (A) - dropped
v Millwall (H) - came on as a 62nd minute sub
v Bristol City (A) - subbed on 72 mins
v Rotherham (A) - played the full 90 mins
v Coventry (H) - subbed on 89 mins
v Luton (A) - subbed on 76 mins
v Preston (H) - subbed on 69 mins
v Bournemouth (A) - subbed on 61 mins
v Middlesborugh (A) - subbed on 67 mins
v Derby (H) - dropped
v Huddersfield (A) - subbed on 86 mins
v Watford (H) - subbed on 72 mins
v Stoke (H) - came on as an 84th Minute sub
v Swansea (A) - subbed on 84 mins
v Nottm Forst (H) - subbed on 71 mins
v Sheff Weds (A) - on as a 72nd minute sub
v Blackburn (H) - subbed on 89 mins
v Reading (A) - subbed on 81 mins
v Brentford (A) - subbed on 72 mins
v Wycombe (H) - dropped
v Birmingham (A) - subbed on 87 mins

Considering Wilson is a 24 year-old, it seems his manager thinks he needs a lot of rest if your assessment is correct.

The Lone Gunman
02-05-21, 09:33
He is the one player in our side who gets people off their seats when he receives the ball and one of the few players in our squad worth paying to go and see.

A damning indictment of the management of the club, wouldn't you say?

blue lewj
02-05-21, 09:33
I think there is a player in there.

I just don't think we see it enough.

Plenty of players had potential and fell by the wayside and will again.

The Lone Gunman
02-05-21, 09:51
I'm pretty sure he'll describe this season as worst yet numbers wise but also that there is only one player more creative than him in the league.

Really? Do you believe that?

City123
02-05-21, 10:07
Or, perhaps, yesterday showed the best way to utilise him is to not smash the ball 10 feet above his head for 90 minutes?

Rjk
02-05-21, 10:26
Hoilett 20
Tomlin 18
Wilson 18*
Koumas 12

or to look at it another way:
Hoilet 20/69 = 29%
Wilson 18/65 = 28%
Tomlin 18/68 = 26%
Koumas 12/58 = 21%

expressed as a percentage of the total goals the team scored

dml1954
02-05-21, 10:36
A damning indictment of the management of the club, wouldn't you say?

Thats your opinion but only that. The most telling thing about this thread is that you are agreeing with Scott Johnsons opinion on Wilson. Johnson is the biggest know-all in Welsh journalism and someone who has been proven over time to dislike Cardiff City intensely. You are the biggest know-all on this board and also dislike Cardiff City, their players, management and owner intensely. You make ideal bed fellows.

The Lone Gunman
02-05-21, 10:58
Thats your opinion but only that.

You're going to have to help me out here. You're apparently a huge fan of Neil Warnock, Neil Harris, Mick McCarthy, Vincent Tan and his board. You have consistently praised all of the above for the jobs they've been doing at Cardiff in recent years. However, this morning you have boldly asserted that despite the many players City have signed and the many millions they have spent in the process, the one player in the squad who gets people off their seats and is worth paying to go and see is a Liverpool loanee who'll be gone next week.

That's hardly a ringing endorsement of the management, is it? And remember, it's you who made that observation, not me.

As for Wilson, I'm afraid I do agree with Johnson. I've also been disappointed by the player. Given his level of ability and what he did at Derby two years ago, I expected more from him. Quite a bit more. Apologies for that.

Dave Blue
02-05-21, 12:06
Thats your opinion but only that. The most telling thing about this thread is that you are agreeing with Scott Johnsons opinion on Wilson. Johnson is the biggest know-all in Welsh journalism and someone who has been proven over time to dislike Cardiff City intensely. You are the biggest know-all on this board and also dislike Cardiff City, their players, management and owner intensely. You make ideal bed fellows.

Whatever you think of what Johnson says, your view that he hates City is utterly bizarre. He is a ST holding fan you happens to have a regular column in the Echo.

Dave Blue
02-05-21, 12:10
So what about his first goal yesterday then ? Mishit it I suppose did he and it luckily swerved into the net from about 35 yards !! Plus the one against Belgium for Wales. You are just floundering around trying to cover up previous silly and derogatory comments about a player who is probably the most technically gifted player in the Championship. He has been worth every penny of whatever we have paid him and I for one have enjoyed seeing him being a City player this season. He is the one player in our side who gets people off their seats when he receives the ball and one of the few players in our squad worth paying to go and see. We will badly miss him next season.

Fear not. The fans’ hero Tomlin will more than make up for the loss of Wilson I have no doubt!!!

City123
02-05-21, 12:23
Fear not. The fans’ hero Tomlin will more than make up for the loss of Wilson I have no doubt!!!
Jonny Williams will lead us to the promised land