PDA

View Full Version : Two years ago today

IanD
12-05-21, 07:33
Arguably, the best away day in the Premier League.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11661/11718081/manchester-united-0-2-cardiff-nathaniel-mendez-laing-double-in-embarrassing-united-defeat

the other bob wilson
12-05-21, 07:42
Just four of that eighteen man squad is still at the club.

Gofer Blue
12-05-21, 07:50
Brilliant.

LeningradCowboy
12-05-21, 08:36
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11661/11718081/manchester-united-0-2-cardiff-nathaniel-mendez-laing-double-in-embarrassing-united-defeat

We hadn't already been relegated when we beat Leicester, Southampton, and Brighton away from home.

Rjk
12-05-21, 08:50

I wonder how many games that season we actually started with Zohore, Decordova Reid and Murphy?

Eric the Half a Bee
12-05-21, 09:29
I wonder how many games that season we actually started with Zohore, Decordova Reid and Murphy?

The only other time that season the three of them were on the pitch together was for 20 minutes in the previous game against Crystal Palace, when Zohore replaced Danny Ward on the hour mark, then Warnock pulled Murphy off with 10 minutes to go.

Eric the Half a Bee
12-05-21, 09:30

I never found it worth celebrating. We were already down. If Warnock had shown a bit more ambition in some of our games as he did that afternoon, we might even have stayed up. As it was, that game was like putting icing and a cherry on a dog turd.

Rjk
12-05-21, 09:36

The only other time that season the three of them were on the pitch together was for 20 minutes in the previous game against Crystal Palace, when Zohore replaced Danny Ward on the hour mark, then Warnock pulled Murphy off with 10 minutes to go.

our three most valuable attackers :facepalm:

LeningradCowboy
12-05-21, 09:40
our three most valuable attackers :facepalm:

Zohore was crap that season.

LeningradCowboy
12-05-21, 09:43
I never found it worth celebrating. We were already down. If Warnock had shown a bit more ambition in some of our games as he did that afternoon, we might even have stayed up. As it was, that game was like putting icing and a cherry on a dog turd.

Agreed. It meant nothing after the feeble performances against Fulham and Crystal Palace in our previous two games.

Rjk
12-05-21, 09:48

Or did the manager fail to get the best out of him?
Danny Ward or Callum Paterson for all their efforts were never premier league quality

Eric the Half a Bee
12-05-21, 09:55
Or did the manager fail to get the best out of him?
Danny Ward or Callum Paterson for all their efforts were never premier league quality

They were significantly better than Zohore was that season. That says all we need to know about Zohore's contribution.

Zohore had a purple patch not long after Warnock went there. He was average on too many occasions in our promotion season but Warnock kept faith in Zohore for the Premier League. Warnock said once that he didn't get a striker because he believed Zohore would do the business. He didn't.

Rjk
12-05-21, 10:05
They were significantly better than Zohore was that season. That says all we need to know about Zohore's contribution.

Zohore had a purple patch not long after Warnock went there. He was average on too many occasions in our promotion season but Warnock kept faith in Zohore for the Premier League. Warnock said once that he didn't get a striker because he believed Zohore would do the business. He didn't.

Because he wasn't good enough, or because Warnock didn't play to his strengths

IanD
12-05-21, 10:18
We hadn't already been relegated when we beat Leicester, Southampton, and Brighton away from home.
I was at Leicester and Brighton away. Both enjoyable for obvious reasons especially the late winner at Leicester. The fact we were already down and beat Man U/OGS away made it all the more enjoyable IMHO. Fantastic atmosphere all afternoon long. That match meant we ended the season on a positive note rather than fading away.

cardiff55
12-05-21, 10:31
We did sell 5 of them for £21.6m though the rest left on frees.

Zohore £8m
Decordova-Reid £10m
Manga £2.5m
Etheridge £1
Healey £100k

I still think Etheridge, Decordova-Reid, and Zohore (as back up) are better than what we had this season, with the exception of Keiffer Moore.

IanD
12-05-21, 10:34
Which was your best away day that season?

BLUETIT
12-05-21, 10:58
We did sell 5 of them for £21.6m though the rest left on frees.

Zohore £8m
Decordova-Reid £10m
Manga £2.5m
Etheridge £1
Healey £100k

I still think Etheridge, Decordova-Reid , and Zohore (as back up) are better than what we had this season, with the exception of Keiffer Moore.

I just don't get the praise Decorator gets!!. Not my cup of tea

Eric the Half a Bee
12-05-21, 12:19
Because he wasn't good enough, or because Warnock didn't play to his strengths

In 2016/17 he scored a goal every 187 minutes. This increased to a goal every 298 minutes in our promotion season and a goal every 746 minutes in the Premier League with us. He scored 3 for West Brom at an average of 1 every 217 minutes. Last season he managed a goal every 434 minutes for Millwall.

I don't doubt that Zohore showed some ability for us in a fantastic purple patch where he was unplayable. This was over 4 years ago. He's had a few managers since then. Either all of them didn't play to his strengths or he hasn't been good enough.

He's got 2 years left on his contract. I don't see him doing much more in a West Brom shirt and expect him to be loaned out to a bottom half Championship side.

Eric the Half a Bee
12-05-21, 12:22
Which was your best away day that season?

I think I've been at cross purposes. You're talking about away experiences, the day out, everything. I've only done a handful of aways in 20 odd years, so have no idea what being there would have been like. I was just looking at it from a result perspective.

IanD
12-05-21, 12:57
I think I've been at cross purposes. You're talking about away experiences, the day out, everything. I've only done a handful of aways in 20 odd years, so have no idea what being there would have been like. I was just looking at it from a result perspective.
Worth a look if you havent seen it before (definately talking about away day experiences). City fans in fine voice before, during and after (" dont take me home") that match:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlp-E_dWfp8&t=10s

goats
12-05-21, 14:28

And Bobby wasn’t picked, and Murphy had about two decent games.....

AlwaysAway2
12-05-21, 20:31

Seriously Eric sometimes you amaze me.
What a fact and I know you only post genuine stuff.
Stunning response.

AlwaysAway2
12-05-21, 20:34

I don't agree.
Being able to sing
Can we play you every week at Old Trafford was an away day experience not many fans have.

Eric the Half a Bee
12-05-21, 20:56
I don't agree.
Being able to sing
Can we play you every week at Old Trafford was an away day experience not many fans have.

As I replied to IanD, I didn't think about the actual experience of going there. If I remember rightly I was on my way home from the West Country while the game was being played and was barely interested in it. Completely different case for those who went, of course!

IanD
13-05-21, 08:06
I don't agree.
Being able to sing
Aaron Gunnarson's farewell viking thunderclap was rather special, too. As was "dont take me home" after the match. The sight of City fans exiting Old Trafford singing that will stick with me for a long time.