PDA

View Full Version : FT: SCOTLAND 0 - 2 CZECH REPUBLIC.

Michael Morris
14-06-21, 10:39
Match stats

Scotland have won each of their past three matches against the Czech Republic, their longest current winning run against any of the other 23 nations qualified for Euro 2020. It's the first meeting between both sides at a major tournament.
This will be Scotland's 11th appearance at major tournament (World Cup and Euros), including their first Euro participation since 1996. They have never progressed past the group stages in any of their previous 10.
The Czech Republic are taking part in their 10th European Championship (Czechoslovakia included), including their seventh in a row - an uninterrupted streak since 1996; only Germany (13) and France (8) are currently on longer such runs.
Czechoslovakia lifted the European Championship trophy in 1976, the only occasion a Euro final has been decided on penalties (2-2 a.e.t. vs West Germany, 5-3 pens). As the Czech Republic, they were also involved in the first Euro final to be decided by a golden goal (1-2 vs Germany, Euro 1996).
Scotland have picked up just one victory in each of their two previous appearances in the European Championships, with both wins coming in their final group stage match (3-0 vs CIS in 1992, 1-0 vs Switzerland in 1996).

the other bob wilson
14-06-21, 12:57
Tierney injured apparently, he’ll be a big miss for Scotland.

Whisperer
14-06-21, 13:10
Great to see Marshall in goal, we chanted he was number one for long enough. :-)

The Bloop
14-06-21, 13:19
I wouldn't complain if David Marshall's attire was Cardiff 's away kit at some point.

UNDERHILL1927
14-06-21, 13:37
Good start from Scotland, much more on the front foot than we were and creating chances.

UNDERHILL1927
14-06-21, 13:43
Good start from Scotland, much more on the front foot than we were and creating chances.

Jinxed it, 0-1 Czechs

the other bob wilson
14-06-21, 14:11
What a goal by the guy who got sent off against us 0-2.

delmbox
14-06-21, 14:12
Hell of a goal that but why do keepers move so far from their line?

PontBlue
14-06-21, 14:13
Decent finish that

the other bob wilson
14-06-21, 14:15
Hell of a goal that but why do keepers move so far from their line?

I’d blame the guy who gave the ball away so cheaply rather than Marshall or any goalkeeper beaten like that, especially in these days of “sweeper keepers”.

Swiss Peter
14-06-21, 14:20
Anyone else think this score-line is slightly harsh on the Scots? Brilliantly taken second goal though.

PontBlue
14-06-21, 14:24
Anyone else think this score-line is slightly harsh on the Scots? Brilliantly taken second goal though.
Not really. The ball was regularly flashing across their box in that first half. They have a decent central midfield though whereas ours play for Stoke and Luton although saying Luton is stretching it as he never gets a game

the other bob wilson
14-06-21, 14:25

Yes, I think they can still get something from the game - they’re certainly not two goals worse than the Czechs, in fact I’d say they should be drawing.

binman
14-06-21, 14:29
Good result this. The cheats are not going to get a point in the group and are going to make themselves look silly again. Hoppe England smash them.

PontBlue
14-06-21, 14:32
Was Dykes booked? He did far more damage to the defender than Moore.

Grangenders
14-06-21, 14:39
The lack of options up front is a real problem for Scotland

PontBlue
14-06-21, 14:40
Was Dykes booked? He did far more damage to the defender than Moore.

Answering my own question no he wasn't. So Dykes drew blood but that was seen as less reckless than the Moore challenge. Wales penalised again

MacAdder
14-06-21, 14:47
Fantastic header it has to be said.
Almost as good as Kieffer's.

Edit: The second was even better! Inch perfect

Harry Paget Flashman
14-06-21, 14:51

Marshall been the busier of the two keepers.

Hilts
14-06-21, 14:52
Oh dear how sad never mind.

the other bob wilson
14-06-21, 15:07
Scotland lose despite all of the advantages they had that we didn’t, yet we found a way to draw against a side ranked above us in sweltering heat three thousand miles away. I thought the Czechs played better against us in March than they did today and yet we beat them - I’d love to have McTominay and McGinn in our midfield, but we’re not a bad side these days whatever happens in the next two matches.

delmbox
14-06-21, 15:08
I’d blame the guy who gave the ball away so cheaply rather than Marshall or any goalkeeper beaten like that, especially in these days of “sweeper keepers”.

I don't disagree he was at fault Bob but Marshall's practically on the half way line :yikes:

Hilts
14-06-21, 15:20
Scotland lose despite all of the advantages they had that we didn’t, yet we found a way to draw against a side ranked above us in sweltering heat three thousand miles away. I thought the Czechs played better against us in March than they did today and yet we beat them - I’d love to have McTominay and McGinn in our midfield, but we’re not a bad side these days whatever happens in the next two matches.

As well as them id love Gilmour in our side and he was on the bench.

LeningradCowboy
14-06-21, 15:26
Excellent. **** off Scotland.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
14-06-21, 15:43
:hehe:

Majorblue
14-06-21, 15:47

With you on this one.
They are the only international side I just don’t like .

Rock_Flock_of_Five
14-06-21, 15:54
With you on this one.
They are the only international side I just don’t like .

For me it's the way their fans come bowling along into any city that has the misfortune to host them.
They can't just be a part of the occasion - no, they have to feel THEY are the occasion,

the other bob wilson
14-06-21, 15:58
I listened to Gordon Brown bemoaning Gary McAllister’s missed penalty a few minutes before Gasgoine’s great goal in 1996 today - if there’s one country in the world that has no right to whinge about penalties, it’s Scotland. Leaving aside Anfield in 1977 and Ninian Park in 1985, Scotland are only in these Finals because they came through two penalty shoot outs.

surge
14-06-21, 16:04

David Marshall is 36 though and I can't remember him being that good with his feet when he was much younger :shrug:
But if he's been told to push up despite this then it's the manager rather than the player.

DubaiDai
14-06-21, 16:19
For me it's the way their fans come bowling along into any city that has the misfortune to host them.
They can't just be a part of the occasion - no, they have to feel THEY are the occasion,

Yes, comfortably on a par with both Ireland sides, yet when they finally qualify for a tournament via the play off’s and even then via penalties, the media along with their fans are bugging them up as though they may reach the final.
A poor side with a very lucky qualification still makes them a poor team.
No real media mention of Wales yet we are a much higher ranked side with a much higher record of success in the last decade.

Rjk
14-06-21, 16:21
I don't disagree he was at fault Bob but Marshall's practically on the half way line :yikes:

I'm sure people on here used to complain he wasn't good at coming off his line

the other bob wilson
14-06-21, 16:27
Andy Robertson interviewed after the game said Marshall was in the right position because he was covering for a ball “knocked in behind”.

Llandaff Blue
14-06-21, 16:33
Andy Robertson interviewed after the game said Marshall was in the right position because he was covering for a ball “knocked in behind”.

By the sounds of it, it's Steve Clarke's fault for thinking Marshall is capable of playing as a sweeper keeper.

the other bob wilson
14-06-21, 16:34
Yes, comfortably on a par with both Ireland sides, yet when they finally qualify for a tournament via the play off’s and even then via penalties, the media along with their fans are bugging them up as though they may reach the final.
A poor side with a very lucky qualification still makes them a poor team.
No real media mention of Wales yet we are a much higher ranked side with a much higher record of success in the last decade.

How is what Scotland and the two Irish teams fans do when they play in tournaments like this one different to what Welsh fans did in France? They all seem much the same to me as they’re all well behaved and are generally praised by their hosts.

Swiss Peter
14-06-21, 17:25
How is what Scotland and the two Irish teams fans do when they play in tournaments like this one different to what Welsh fans did in France? They all seem much the same to me as they’re all well behaved and are generally praised by their hosts.

Very well put. Exactly what I thought when I read this. RoI and NI fans I came across at euro 2016 were a good laugh.

tforturton
14-06-21, 17:34
Should have taken Paterson with them....
Probably wouldn't have made any difference to the result, mind.

Ivortheengine
14-06-21, 17:47
Slavia Prague comfortably beat Scotland’s so called best teams comfortably in European competition last season. Their national team did exactly the same.

BLUETIT
14-06-21, 17:51
Very well put. Exactly what I thought when I read this. RoI and NI fans I came across at euro 2016 were a good laugh.

I don’t think any Welsh fan who has travelled to Belfast to watch an international game, would say it was a nice experience on matchday.

Absolute animals, throwback to the 70/80’s

Wozza16
15-06-21, 01:34
I haven't seen a team appeal for a foul every time they lost the ball as much as Scotland did, most teams appeal for some unlikely decisions but they were appealing for ridiculous stuff.

Robertson is only player that would get in our team easily even though I don't know where the hell he was for the 1st goal.

Rjk
15-06-21, 07:11
I haven't seen a team appeal for a foul every time they lost the ball as much as Scotland did, most teams appeal for some unlikely decisions but they were appealing for ridiculous stuff.

Robertson is only player that would get in our team easily even though I don't know where the hell he was for the 1st goal.

They have a few players who would easily get in our team.

Tierney, McGinn, McTominay, Che Adams probably billy Gilmour too although I've not seen a lot of him.

surge
15-06-21, 07:57

Tierney, McGinn, McTominay, Che Adams probably billy Gilmour too although I've not seen a lot of him.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to make comments like this. Kieffer Moore has scored 1 in 3 at international level but no one outside of Wales is saying they'd get into their national team because all they see is that he plays for Cardiff City and was fourth top scorer in the Championship.

Kelvin Philips plays for mid-table premier league side but might be Europe's most important midfielder after this tournament etc. etc.

Different players fit different international set-ups. I don't think Scotland are out of the competition yet, and will grow stronger from it, because they've got on paper some really exciting players and Croatia don't seem like a happy camp.

Rjk
15-06-21, 08:09
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to make comments like this. Kieffer Moore has scored 1 in 3 at international level but no one outside of Wales is saying they'd get into their national team because all they see is that he plays for Cardiff City and was fourth top scorer in the Championship.

Kelvin Philips plays for mid-table premier league side but might be Europe's most important midfielder after this tournament etc. etc.

Different players fit different international set-ups. I don't think Scotland are out of the competition yet, and will grow stronger from it, because they've got on paper some really exciting players and Croatia don't seem like a happy camp.

on the other hand, when we've recently had a Newport county player in the team it is fairly safe to say that the likes of mctominay and mcginn would get in.

The Hooded Claw
15-06-21, 08:51
That Schick goal reminds me of the Vaulks goal against Brentford, only no one made such a fuss about it. :thumbup:

delmbox
15-06-21, 19:23

Che Adams would get into our squad maybe, I wouldn't take him over Kieffer.

Agree with the others

William Treseder
15-06-21, 19:30
Im no big fan of the Jocks, but they’d give us a game any day of the week. It would be a 50/50 game all day long.

William Treseder
15-06-21, 20:31
As well as them id love Gilmour in our side and he was on the bench.
There are rumours that Gilmour will be playing against England.
He’s replacing Marshall in Midfield!