PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else noticing less food on the shelves lately?

the other bob wilson
05-07-21, 09:39
Besides not seeing anyone who was maskless, my shopping this morning saw me having to make do with quite a few second or third choice items because the things I wanted really were not available. Last week, I was struck by the number of empty shelves and lack of the normal choices I’d have, but presumed it was a one off, yet, if anything, it was even worse this week.

There are a few possibilities, I’m just being unlucky in that what I usually buy just happens to be scarce at the moment, it’s a seasonal thing or it’s early on a Monday morning and so the shelves haven’t all been filled yet.

The trouble with all of these possibilities is that I’ve never experienced them before at this time of year in the last decade or more, so is something else (Brexit related perhaps?) going on?

JumpersforGoalposts
05-07-21, 09:49
No, apart from a limited choice of cat food last week. Puss is now missing his Felix shreds this week :-(

uncle bob
05-07-21, 09:50
Definitely agree with this Bob.
My Asda store in Cwmbran has been terrible lately for not having quite a few things for my big shop on a Monday. Tried changing to a Tuesday but found this even worse.

Rjk
05-07-21, 09:54
I've noticed occasional gaps on the shelves, but nothing prolonged

jon1959
05-07-21, 11:02
The two big supermarkets I normally use are both going through major refits that has resulted in reduced stock - but even allowing for that there are some things that are missing from pre-COVID and pre-Brexit days. Some are European imports that have vanished or jumped in price, others are down to interruptions in manufacturing (may or may not come back). Big jars of Marmite last seen in June 2020! But now the pubs are back in business and brewing (and glass bottle production) restarted I live in hope!

NYCBlue
05-07-21, 11:05
Unlike the food items, Brexit has been delivered.

chrisp_1927
05-07-21, 11:09
The little tesco I frequent has been as full as normal, but then those places never seem to run out of anything.

Popped into a big waitrose (not my regular shop i must add, I'm not rich) last week and they were missing loads. Had lots of signs on the shelves apologising for lack of stock

Must be that hgv driver shortage

Whisperer
05-07-21, 11:18
Not a bad thing having less on the shelves imho.

Poolerblue
05-07-21, 11:19
There is a huge shortage of HGV drivers and supermarkets are struggling to make use of all their available lorries. Hence a shortage of certain items
It appears they have the stock but are struggling to get it to their stores

Monster munch
05-07-21, 12:07
There is a huge shortage of HGV drivers and supermarkets are struggling to make use of all their available lorries. Hence a shortage of certain items
It appears they have the stock but are struggling to get it to their stores

Just filled up petrol in tesco bridgend, went to pay in the kiosk and they literally had about 4 packets of sandwiches left.
The bloke serving confirmed its a delivery driver issue, might go on through the summer aswell.
I've got to start making my own sandwiches from now on then....

Moodybluebird
05-07-21, 13:48
I can put up with shortages as long as my Shreddies are still available in large numbers !

blue matt
05-07-21, 14:11
one of my friends runs a " employment agency ", she said its a terrible shortage, during the 3rd lockdown ( January ) alot of eastern europeans headed back to " original home " countries , she lost a 1/3rd of her staff in week, as has been said above ( and in the news ) its the lack of truck drivers

Rjk
05-07-21, 14:46
Not a bad thing having less on the shelves imho.

Yeah it's such a pain, being able to go in and buy the things you want

life on mars
05-07-21, 15:13
Not noticed ,however I am in Cardiff where I guess the supply routes and perhaps the supermarkets are larger and have better regular supply and storage capabilities ?

Its worth considering the reports of driver shortages throughout the UK

Rjk
05-07-21, 15:14
Not noticed ,however I am in Cardiff where I guess the supply routes and perhaps the supermarkets are larger and have better regular supply and storage capabilities ?

Its worth considering the reports of driver shortages throughout the UK

shortage of Haribo next apparently.

life on mars
05-07-21, 15:16

I must correct myself McDonald's are showing notices of shortages on their select chicken eats.

Rjk
05-07-21, 15:44
I must correct myself McDonald's are showing notices of shortages on their select chicken eats.

Remember when KFC ran out of chicked, and some people dialled 999 :hehe:

tforturton
05-07-21, 15:59
I read an article that said the UK had lost 75,000 HGV drivers in the last six months. I thought the M4 was looking quiet...

Fatty Foggon
05-07-21, 16:14
Boris has implemented a Wales protocol without telling Drakeford.

Cleve van Leef
05-07-21, 16:29
Brexit, COVID, and lack of lorry drivers, 100,000 jobs available for truck drivers. There you have it. Oh and the people who order repeat stock order the wrong items.

Gofer Blue
05-07-21, 16:38

Catastrophe. :indifferent:

tforturton
05-07-21, 16:44
Thank God. Maybe they'll stop showing those cringingly awful 'funny' adverts.

Whisperer
05-07-21, 16:59
Yeah it's such a pain, being able to go in and buy the things you want
There's a difference between wanting and needing, less shite like ready meals can make you a little more creative and that can only be better for society.

life on mars
05-07-21, 21:05
Remember when KFC ran out of chicked, and some people dialled 999 :hehe:

I know , they had me on hold for 20 minutes .

Eric the Half a Bee
05-07-21, 21:29
I can put up with shortages as long as my Shreddies are still available in large numbers !

I find Shreddies help me produce quite large numbers.

Moodybluebird
05-07-21, 21:56
I find Shreddies help me produce quite large numbers.

Ooo you are awful !

xsnaggle
06-07-21, 07:03
Just filled up petrol in tesco bridgend, went to pay in the kiosk and they literally had about 4 packets of sandwiches left.
The bloke serving confirmed its a delivery driver issue, might go on through the summer aswell.

......and I've got to start learning to drive a HGV. :hehe:

xsnaggle
06-07-21, 07:09
I was in the big Tesco on Western Ave last evening and there was none of the usual fruit, no bananas peaches apricots oranges blackberries. some old looking strawberries. no Choc au pain - disaster. These used to be seasonal things when I was young but with modern transport we have taken them for granted as a 365 days-a-year thing.

Mario Miethig
06-07-21, 07:13
I work in a Distribution Centre for a large supermarket chain. Major shortage of drivers and warehouse staff. Eastern European workers were the major source for the agency, but that’s now a trickle. British workers are making up the shortfall, but their work ethic is largely poor to say the least.

Taunton Blue Genie
06-07-21, 11:18
I'm imagining cattle trucks arriving in the UK carrying a cargo of East European HGV drivers on a special licence......

BLUETIT
07-07-21, 15:12
I'm imagining cattle trucks arriving in the UK carrying a cargo of East European HGV drivers on a special licence......

Well I'm not eating any, I'm sticking to beef, pork, lamb and chicken

IanD
07-07-21, 18:00
Boris' solution...make drivers work longer:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57753277

dembethewarrior
07-07-21, 18:27
Hang a banger.

Don't all you meal deal poshies come stealing our bread and sandwich filling now it suits you, or there'll be a shortage on those as well.

You'll have to take last night's leftovers.

willo1927
08-07-21, 10:27
I read an article that said the UK had lost 75,000 HGV drivers in the last six months. I thought the M4 was looking quiet...
When there was an abundance of Eastern European drivers here the haulage firms dramatically cut wages and add ons for drivers. Lots of British drivers found their pay cut by 20/30 per cent.
Hence new driver didn't train up as it wasn't as well paid as before.
Now there is a shortage of drivers the firms are bleating and moaning about the lack of drivers.
Pay a proper rate and there will be no shortage.

Rjk
09-07-21, 07:49
https://twitter.com/richardgaisford/status/1413189568245948426?s=19

still plenty of food, but it is rotting in the fields instead of making its way to the shops.

dont worry though, a Tory boy will be along in a minute to explain why actually this is a good thing, and definitely someone else's fault.

Freitag 4.17
15-07-21, 20:25
I have now noticed this. Thank you.

Dave Blue
15-07-21, 21:12
McDonalds ran out of chicken wraps for weeks recently. They blamed it on a technical issue but we are not fooled by this.

Wash DC Blue
15-07-21, 21:28
A mate of mine is, until the end of August (horrible redundancy as a result of a leveraged buy out) a manager at ASDA.

I asked him about it and while there is indeed a shortage of drivers...there are other massive supply chain problems like a shortage of cardboard for retail packaging.

xsnaggle
16-07-21, 10:46
A mate of mine is, until the end of August (horrible redundancy as a result of a leveraged buy out) a manager at ASDA.

I asked him about it and while there is indeed a shortage of drivers...there are other massive supply chain problems like a shortage of cardboard for retail packaging.

Caused by all the on line shopping during lockdown apparently

The Bloop
16-07-21, 11:45
Another factor is with so many people having to isolate food manufacturers and processors are having to close some lines down.

the other bob wilson
22-07-21, 06:41
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jul/21/iceland-aim-to-recruit-2000-staff-due-to-pingdemic-absences

Gofer Blue
22-07-21, 08:25
BBC headline today ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news) "shoppers told there is no need to panic buy" hence virtually guaranteeing panic buying spree. Good old BBC.

The same organisation who declared that the FTSE250 had "tumbled" on Monday as the markets were spooked by new COVID infection figures but is strangely quiet today when the FTSE250 is back to where it was last Wednesday!

Freitag 4.17
22-07-21, 18:07
REALLY beginning to see this now, it also seems like there's been 5 years worth of inflation in the last few months.. might be imagining that but things seem to be constantly going up..

blue matt
22-07-21, 19:39
a few of my daughters friends work at out local Sain'ers, more than 1/2 the staff are not in work due to pinging, they cannot stock the shelves in time

life on mars
22-07-21, 22:00
Noted today Asda was fine but were spaces on some product lines in Lidls the day before .

Think it's a ping thing causing most grief

the other bob wilson
23-07-21, 05:06
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57937342