PDA

View Full Version : 30 degrees again tomorrow

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-07-21, 18:05
I don't know how the feck people cope with this oppressive heat

I have had 3 showers a day , thats a complete waste of time , 15 minutes in fresh clothes and I am soaking wet again

22 degrees tonight at 11pm

Give me a cold dry January day over this punishment

Was talking to a fella from Georgia the other day who said the summers there were like this and he moved here to escape the dry intense summers of the Black Sea

Cripes

NYCBlue
18-07-21, 18:36

I have had 3 showers a day , thats a complete waste of time , 15 minutes in fresh clothes and I am soaking wet again

Was talking to a fella from Georgia the other day who said the summers there were like this and he moved here to escape the dry intense summers of the Black Sea

Cripes

Get out the back. Work on your tan.

Tuerto
18-07-21, 18:52

Cripes

Georgia is in America, nowhere near the Black Sea Duh!

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-07-21, 19:10
Get out the back. Work on your tan.

I keep out of the sun in weather like this . Spring and Autumn I can handle the hot days as you can be sure of a cool night but this is horrid . I used to go to festivals in this , I must have been mad .

delmbox
18-07-21, 19:36

Cripes

Spent all day yesterday swimming and and drinking San Miguels in the river Wye with friends then sat in a beer garden in shorts and tshirt until 11pm. going to go to the beach after work every night this week. Absolutely glorious

Taunton Blue Genie
18-07-21, 19:40

Cripes

I have spent three days traipsing up and down the Quantocks and along the steep Dorset coast in this heat and I can tell you what sweating profusely is :-)

life on mars
18-07-21, 19:50
I find a good quality electrolytes helps

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-07-21, 19:56
Spent all day yesterday swimming and and drinking San Miguels in the river Wye with friends then sat in a beer garden in shorts and tshirt until 11pm. going to go to the beach after work every night this week. Absolutely glorious

Don't come running to me if you drown

delmbox
18-07-21, 19:56
Don't come running to me if you drown

I am an excellent swimmer

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-07-21, 19:58
I have spent three days traipsing up and down the Quantocks and along the steep Dorset coast in this heat and I can tell you what sweating profusely is :-)

Imagine being a poor old sod in a care home in this weather

Poor bastards

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-07-21, 19:59
I am an excellent swimmer

Not when you are pissed you aint

Don't drink and Swim

18 month ban

delmbox
18-07-21, 20:24
Not when you are pissed you aint

Don't drink and Swim

18 month ban

I am also an excellent drinker

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-07-21, 20:32

I can't compete with that

I am a beaten man

xsnaggle
18-07-21, 20:59

Sure as hell beats a 27 degree heatwave doesn't it? :hehe:

blue matt
18-07-21, 22:05
I spent from 1pm till 6.45 at a football tournament, it was bigger than we thought with loads of teams, played 5 min E/W ( which you would expect would mean the games flew ) got to the Semi's and beaten in extra time with a golden goal

a long hot day, imho it was too hot and they should have cancelled it

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-07-21, 11:30
Bring on the winter

Football , fishing , metal gigs

A Quiet Monkfish
19-07-21, 12:47
Georgia is in America, nowhere near the Black Sea Duh!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(country)

Though I presume you were joking..

bobh
19-07-21, 20:51
Regarding whether this is a "heatwave" compared to other countries...

I'm old enough to remember the long hot summer of 1976.

I don't think the temp was as high as it is now, but everyone was dripping in sweat...
We had a Nigerian working with us, he was used to heat per se, but he said the "wet heat" of the UK was almost unbearable.

delmbox
23-07-21, 08:51
it's f**king FREEZING

Tuerto
23-07-21, 09:01

When did this happen?

xsnaggle
23-07-21, 09:11
When did this happen?

This has confused me completely :hehe:

splott parker
23-07-21, 09:17
Regarding whether this is a "heatwave" compared to other countries...

I'm old enough to remember the long hot summer of 1976.

I don't think the temp was as high as it is now, but everyone was dripping in sweat...
We had a Nigerian working with us, he was used to heat per se, but he said the "wet heat" of the UK was almost unbearable.

1976 convinced me that I would never, ever want to live in country with constant heat, ridiculous unbroken run of hot, hot weather.

alan_corneli
23-07-21, 09:33

Are any other U.S. states expecting to break away to form their own countries?

delmbox
23-07-21, 10:15
1976 convinced me that I would never, ever want to live in country with constant heat, ridiculous unbroken run of hot, hot weather.

how long did it last?

splott parker
23-07-21, 12:21
how long did it last?

I’m still convinced…. Oh, the hot spell, just checked, 23rd of June until the 27th of August, from the 23rd of June - 7th of July at least one place in the UK reached 32.2 degrees. It was relentless, severe drought, with the government bringing out the slogan, ‘Save water, bath with a friend’.
Eventually Dennis Howell, an ex football league referee and Minister for Sport was appointed Minister for Drought. To my mind he’s the most successful politician ever because when the weather broke it pissed down for weeks……what an appointment :hehe:

Tuerto
23-07-21, 12:45

Yeah, but it's different, even the heat is different. In hotter countries we would adapt and become used to it. Because we only get two or three weeks of this, we can't really change our habits, lifestyle etc. When i was 20, i did 2 months in southern spain, there isn't even a cloud down there in summer. We started early, then worked a few hours late afternoon, evening. The biggest difference was the speed we worked at, or lack of. We still carry on like it's April.

Monster munch
23-07-21, 13:01
I love the weather when on holidays and abroad relaxing by the pool, air con at night in the hotel etc.
I'm well and truly fcuked now though after this week, completely wrecked from working solid and lack of sleep.

Talk of another heatwave in August also? I'll be booking that week off for sure

goats
23-07-21, 15:29
Been nice to get down to Pembrokeshire this week where it felt a bit cooler than Cardiff, place down there has a very shady cool downstairs (where the bedrooms are) so sleeping was joyous compared to here. I’ll never forget picking grapes in outback Oz when I was 19, 42 degrees most days, we started at 6am and finished at 1….with a slab of piss (as they say down under) to share on the way back to the caravan….

splott parker
23-07-21, 16:10
Yeah, but it's different, even the heat is different. In hotter countries we would adapt and become used to it. Because we only get two or three weeks of this, we can't really change our habits, lifestyle etc. When i was 20, i did 2 months in southern spain, there isn't even a cloud down there in summer. We started early, then worked a few hours late afternoon, evening. The biggest difference was the speed we worked at, or lack of. We still carry on like it's April.

You’re right there about pace of work, we hit our targets, generally, whatever the weather. I did the Germany stint years ago and they relied on us for the speed whereas the Germans, sensibly I guess, did their day’s work and clocked off whatever stage the job was at, and picked up where they left off the next day. If you’re like me you’ll very often have a target for that day with the philosophy that attaining it will make tomorrow easier……..until tomorrow :hehe:

delmbox
24-07-21, 08:57
I’m still convinced…. Oh, the hot spell, just checked, 23rd of June until the 27th of August, from the 23rd of June - 7th of July at least one place in the UK reached 32.2 degrees. It was relentless, severe drought, with the government bringing out the slogan, ‘Save water, bath with a friend’.
Eventually Dennis Howell, an ex football league referee and Minister for Sport was appointed Minister for Drought. To my mind he’s the most successful politician ever because when the weather broke it pissed down for weeks……what an appointment :hehe:

:hehe:

Blimey that is a proper stint, I wouldn't envy those working outside during that

Tuerto
24-07-21, 09:10
You’re right there about pace of work, we hit our targets, generally, whatever the weather. I did the Germany stint years ago and they relied on us for the speed whereas the Germans, sensibly I guess, did their day’s work and clocked off whatever stage the job was at, and picked up where they left off the next day. If you’re like me you’ll very often have a target for that day with the philosophy that attaining it will make tomorrow easier……..until tomorrow :hehe:

Exactly the same as you when it comes to targets. Although what I would do at times, just for self preservation, was work up until the target was met, not stopping. Sometimes that's 2pm, others it's 6, if it ****s up. Grafting is a mugs game though.

xsnaggle
24-07-21, 09:12
I remember '76 too. And I was doing an outside job where you couldn't work in a vest or shirt sleeves, full kitted up all day, no choice. It was HOT!

Pearcey3
24-07-21, 09:25
I remember 76 too. We had our caravan at Pentewan Sands camp site near Mevagissey. We were there for four weeks. It was just continual sun. Fantastic memories.

splott parker
24-07-21, 11:55
Exactly the same as you when it comes to targets. Although what I would do at times, just for self preservation, was work up until the target was met, not stopping. Sometimes that's 2pm, others it's 6, if it ****s up. Grafting is a mugs game though.

It’s not too bad if you’re the main man and nobody has a bite of the money before you. In my opinion, certainly in construction, working for a firm very often means you’re working very hard to make a lot of money for someone else.