PDA

View Full Version : FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 4 SOUTHAMPTON.

Michael Morris
27-07-21, 10:21
First Cardiff game at CCS with fans since Feb 2020.

Are you going?

Michael Morris
27-07-21, 10:27
Full matchday information here (https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/supporter-information-city-vs-southampton-newport)

Arriving at CCS

Please note, face masks must be worn when queuing for entry, food & beverage facilities and toilets in the stadium concourses. We also encourage supporters to wear face masks at all times whilst at CCS.

Stadium entry will be via Reception and Gates 2, 3, 8, 12, 15 and 16. Please arrive at the time selected upon purchasing your ticket/s.

If you are using a Digital NFC Mobile Ticket, please download your ticket and ensure it is ready to use prior to queuing, to ensure quick entry to the stadium. Find more information here.

Limited car parking will be available on a first-come, first-served basis at a cost of £5 – cash only.

This map (https://cdn.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/sites/default/files/2021-07/Cardiff%20City%20Stadium%20Routes.pdf) below shows updated circulation routes for both friendly fixtures at CCS.

Inside CCS

Hand sanitiser will be available in convenient locations around CCS. Please make use of these facilities to protect yourself and fellow supporters.

Cashless food and beverage kiosks will be open in the Canton, Ninian and Grange stands, with strict social distancing measures in place.

Due to COVID-19 regulations, alcohol will not be available in general admission areas for this week's two friendly fixtures.

Michael Morris
27-07-21, 10:28
My ticket is for Gate 4 (and see others with Gate 5) but that's not showing on the information from the club.

Any idea Tony?

fred keenor
27-07-21, 10:29
Cardiff City Football Club
Supporter Code of Conduct 2021/22 Season
Cardiff City Football Club (the Club) welcomes the First Ministers statement on 14th
July 2021 that removes many regulations that were introduced in response to the
COVID-19 pandemic. The Club remains committed to ensuring the health and safety
of supporters and persons working our events by providing a safe and secure
environment throughout the 2021/22 season and we remain aware of the
everchanging situation.
Notwithstanding the above, it should be noted that is impossible for the Club to
completely eliminate the risk of COVID-19. Therefore, supporters are responsible for
deciding whether or not they should attend any matches.
In order to provide a safe & secure environment, all supporters must behave in a safe
and responsible manner at all times.
By purchasing a season ticket or match ticket, you are agreeing to comply with this
COVID-19 supporter code of conduct.
If you attend a match and do not comply, you would be jeopardising the health of fellow
supporters, Club/Stadium staff, as well as the reputation of the Club.
ANY BREACH OF THIS COVID-19 SUPPORTER CODE OF CONDUCT MAY
RESULT IN YOU BEING REMOVED FROM THE STADIUM AND HAVING YOUR
SEASON TICKET OR MEMBERSHIP/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED OR WITHDRAWN
AND/OR MAY RESULT IN FURTHER ACTION AND THE LIKELY BAN FROM
ATTENDING FUTURE MATCHES
1. You must follow all Club/Stadium staff instructions at all times.
2. You are responsible for deciding whether or not you should attend any match
and prior to attending, supporters should carry out a personal risk assessment
based on age, health, susceptibility to infection and clinical vulnerability, while
also taking into consideration those in your household.
3. If you engage in any conduct that is intended to transmit the COVID-19 virus to
another person or any conduct that can be reasonably construed to be
intending to transmit the COVID-19 virus to another person (regardless of
whether you have the COVID-19 virus or not), you will be ejected from the
stadium, your details will be shared with the police and you can expect to
receive an Club ban in accordance with the relevant policy (found in the Club’s
Bans and Appeals Procedure).
4. You may be required to make a health declaration. Supporters issued tickets
may be required to complete a health questionnaire as part of the ticketing
process.
Symptomscan be found at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid19/symptoms/
Do not attend the stadium if you have any COVID-19 symptoms.
5. In the event that you develop COVID-19 symptoms whilst at the stadium, please
notify the nearest member of stadium staff immediately.
6. The Club continues to co-operate with the NHS Test & Trace system. Who may
require details of all supporters attending the match. Each ticket is routinely
assigned to an individual supporter. You must be the named supporter on your
ticket for the match and be able to confirm this with acceptable ID on request.
Tickets are non-transferrable.
7. If COVID-19 regulations dictate you must do all you can to observe social
distancing. If using public transport, please ensure you comply with all
Government advice (https://gov.wales/travel-and-transport-advice).
8. If COVID-19 regulations dictate that capacity is limited a maximum of 6
supporters may be allowed to sit together.
9. Wherever possible tickets will be issued as digital mobile / NFC mobile tickets.
Supporters are encouraged to use this option via their mobile phone for stadium
access.
10.If COVID-19 regulations dictate Persons aged 11 and over may be required to
wear a face covering within the stadium confines.
11.You must only enter the stadium via the gate number on your ticket or as
otherwise directed by stadium staff.
12.You must comply with notified arrival times and directions if specified.
13.You may have your temperature taken in order to enter the stadium. If your
temperature is 37.5 degrees or above, you may be refused entry to the stadium.
The final decision will be made by the Safety Officer. There will be no right of
appeal.
14.Please sanitise your hands on entering the stadium and regularly thereafter.
Hand sanitiser dispensers will be located at all entrances and throughout the
concourses.
15.Where they are in place, you must follow one-way systems within the stadium
as directed - do not go the wrong way around the one-way system and do not
stop unless necessary.
16.If COVID-19 regulations dictate there may be a requirement for supporters to
proceed to their designated seat (as identified on your ticket) as soon as
possible – without congregating on the concourse.
17.You must only sit in the seat allocated on your ticket.
18.If COVID-19 regulations dictate supporters may be asked to maintain a social
distance when using the toilets (whenever possible) by using the highlighted
WC’s and cubicles only. You must follow instruction given to you by stadium
stewards in respect of toilet facilities.
19.If COVID-19 regulations dictate supporters may be asked to follow and comply
with all queuing signage/markers when waiting at food and beverage
concessions.
20.Cashless is the preferred payment method whilst at the stadium.
21.Supporters are asked to cover their coughs and sneezes, ideally with a tissue
but otherwise into your elbow, and maintain hand hygiene by regularly washing
hands with soap and water for 20 seconds and/or by using hand sanitiser.
22.If possible, please do not bring any bags to the stadium.
23.If COVID-19 regulations dictate supporters may be asked to stay in their seat
until advised to leave by a steward or a member of Club staff.
24.Please refrain from throwing the match ball back into play. A member of stadium
staff will collect, sanitise and return to the field of play.
25.Please do not approach any of the players or members of coaching staff at any
time. Players and staff have been reminded not to sign autographs or pose for
photographs at this time.
26.Please report any breach of this COVID-19 supporter code of conduct by
sending an SMS message to 07554 158 224 including the stand, row and seat
number. We will treat all messages received in the strictest confidence.
27.Any breach of this COVID-19 supporter code of conduct shall be addressed by
the Club.
28.The Club reserves the right to amend this supporter code of conduct from time
to time to: (i) reflect changes in relevant laws and regulatory requirements; or
(ii) in order to comply with the latest Government/medical guidance. The Club
shall publicise any such changes on its website.
Thank you for your support and co-operation. Stay saf

BLUETIT
27-07-21, 10:38
My ticket is for Gate 4 (and see others with Gate 5) but that's not showing on the information from the club.

Any idea Tony?

If that's directed at me Mike, I haven't got a clue. !!!!!!!

In fact I'm not going as I haven't got a clue how to buy a ticket, along with hundreds of others.

Michael Morris
27-07-21, 14:50

life on mars
27-07-21, 14:57

Any idea Tony?

After reading the entry and behaviour rules below posted by Fred Keener, I'm too terrified to go .

BLUETIT
27-07-21, 15:18
After reading the entry and behaviour rules below posted by Fred Keener, I'm too terrified to go .

First ones in are going to be disappointed if they fancy an ale !

Michael Morris
27-07-21, 16:11
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">�� CCS<br>�� Home<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CityAsOne?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CityAsOne</a> <a href="https://t.co/yWd714AThn">pic.twitter.com/yWd714AThn</a></p>&mdash; Cardiff City FC (@CardiffCityFC) <a href="https://twitter.com/CardiffCityFC/status/1420053908173561864?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

PhyllisStant
27-07-21, 16:26
Any indication if some of the regulars will be back? (Morrison, Kieffer etc)

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 17:04
Any indication if some of the regulars will be back? (Morrison, Kieffer etc)

Have to scour back a page or 2 on the main board but sure Mick said Mozza will hopefully get some time in the last 2 games.

Noticed players like lukaku were back in pre season (random example but I remember the post on Instagram yesterday) so my guess is Moore and Colwill will have been back Monday as well after having a rest with their families. Hopefully see them get a few minutes this week.

Former Labour leader
27-07-21, 17:10
No sign of Morrison, Moore or Bacuna in squad tonight, which means they will not be starting v Barnsley. Interesting that trialist is starting. Wonder if it's that ex Wurzels player?

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 17:13
No sign of Morrison, Moore or Bacuna in squad tonight, which means they will not be starting v Barnsley. Interesting that trialist is starting. Wonder if it's that ex Wurzels player?

Fancy posting the team?

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 17:14
Phillips, Ng, McGuinness, Nelson, Brown, Bagan, Bowen, Pack, Trialist, Collins, Giles.

Subs: Smithies, Ratcliffe, Flint, Connolly, Denham, T. Davies, Jones, Vaulks, D'Almeida, Ralls, Tomlin, Whyte, Murphy, Zimba, Harris.

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 17:14
Bowen gets a start at CM at last.

jon1959
27-07-21, 17:15
Cardiff City XI: Phillips, Ng, McGuinness, Nelson, Brown, Bagan, Bowen, Pack, Trialist, Collins, Giles.

Subs: Smithies, Ratcliffe, Flint, Connolly, Denham, T. Davies, Jones, Vaulks, D'Almeida, Ralls, Tomlin, Whyte, Murphy, Zimba, Harris.

Murphy on the bench.

No Morrison, Moore, Sang, Wintle, Bacuna, Colwill, Vassell, Evans, Patten, I Davies or Bale.

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 17:30
Lost my bank card. Sham, was gonna splurge 3 quid on this one.

BLUETIT
27-07-21, 17:33
Lost my bank card. Sham, was gonna splurge 3 quid on this one.

Pity there's not a slot for three £1 coins :hehe::wave:

sneggyblubird
27-07-21, 17:34
Is the trialist that Bristol City lad that has been training with us?

BLUETIT
27-07-21, 17:37

BALE

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 17:43
Pity there's not a slot for three £1 coins :hehe::wave:

Or someone in the office to help me :wave:

2b2bdoo
27-07-21, 17:54
I feel like we should be playing something a bit closer to our starting 11

mrbluejay
27-07-21, 17:55
Looks a strong Southampton team.

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 17:56
Game just pops on at 1900 does it?

Don't treat us to 30 seconds build up or anything?

Des Parrot
27-07-21, 18:01
Looks a strong Southampton team.

They’re not messing around. Did Mick know the rules of engagement?

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 18:02
Who is trialist 24? Busy so far..

City123
27-07-21, 18:05
Marley Watkins

the other bob wilson
27-07-21, 18:14

Someone called Bale apparently.

City123
27-07-21, 18:17
I assume Joel Bagan will be our first choice left back this season? With Tom Davies the backup?

Michael Morris
27-07-21, 18:30

Yes.

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 18:31
I assume Joel Bagan will be our first choice left back this season? With Tom Davies the backup?

I'd assume so.

Like the look of Bowen so far as well.

Michael Morris
27-07-21, 18:31

City123
27-07-21, 18:38
1-0 Southampton.

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 18:39
Was it Giles with the ball back to Ng? Don't always have to go backwards but a few positives from Bagan with his effort as well

life on mars
27-07-21, 18:54
BALE

Nah , not wearing no 9

splott parker
27-07-21, 19:18
Took a few years this, granting Southampton a friendly as part of the sell on clause.

City123
27-07-21, 19:21
2-0 Southampton.

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 19:25
Decided the ex pat thread was more interesting than the game so I've only been glancing second half

City123
27-07-21, 19:25
Tom Davies, Taylor Jones, Josh Murphy & Lee Tomlin on. Joel Bagan, Perry Ng, Ryan Giles & Mark Harris off.

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 19:27
Did they just say Taylor Jones was a CB but too small so they switched him?

City123
27-07-21, 19:28
3-0 Southampton.

City123
27-07-21, 19:31
None of our centre backs can pass the ball

C1C9F2C7
27-07-21, 19:34
None of our centre backs can pass the ball

correct. and the rest aint great:hehe:

SuisseBluebird
27-07-21, 19:39
The space between the defence and defensive midfield is so easy for Southampton to exploit. Just running at the centre backs without any fear, little to no pressure on the ball and able to pick out a pass. Phillips stopping this game from being a complete rout, but still 10 minutes to go.

A game that has helped highlight the current flaws with Cardiff and suggests that the only solution McCarthy has is to rely on Moore to be a game changer.

SuisseBluebird
27-07-21, 19:40
The space between the defence and defensive midfield is so easy for Southampton to exploit. Just running at the centre backs without any fear, little to no pressure on the ball and able to pick out a pass. Phillips stopping this game from being a complete rout, but still 10 minutes to go.

A game that has helped highlight the current flaws with Cardiff and suggests that the only solution McCarthy has is to rely on Moore to be a game changer.

Yeah it's a rout now.

City123
27-07-21, 19:40
4-0 Southampton. It isn't going very well

City123
27-07-21, 19:42

It's just been really poor, Southampton cutting through us at will

UNDERHILL1927
27-07-21, 19:45
It's just been really poor, Southampton cutting through us at will

Long long season ahead, anyone know how to get a refund on a season ticket? ....... 😂😂😂

BLUETIT
27-07-21, 19:47
Long long season ahead, anyone know how to get a refund on a season ticket? ....... ������

Just think of all the lucky barstewards who can’t use the tinternet :hehe:

RonnieBird
27-07-21, 19:47
Sooner people wake up to the drop in recruiting and playing standards and stop deluding themselves that we can get promoted with a load of kids and other peoples rejects the better.

SuisseBluebird
27-07-21, 19:50
First half was admissable considering the starting line up, Southampton in charge but City gave a decent showing at least. The goal conceded was a heads gone moment from Ng but Harris should have been more aware to the fact he had space to bring the ball forward.

Second half a complete different story, City all at sea and Southampton just turned the screw and kept piling on the pressure, would not have begrudged them from scoring 6 or more. They made it look easy.

UNDERHILL1927
27-07-21, 19:51

Hahaha

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 19:51

They're ****ed, it's the ones that ain't got friends/family and access to free computers at the library that are ****ed

surge
27-07-21, 19:56
Sooner people wake up to the drop in recruiting and playing standards and stop deluding themselves that we can get promoted with a load of kids and other peoples rejects the better.

The criticism has been around for a few years now and is largely tied to the defenders and midfielders Warnock brought in with parachute payments, his spending choices have also restricted our budget to change things since, and overall playing philosophy of the club. It's the young players and more careful signings that change things around but will be take time.

Remember, i) it's pre-season and will be forgotten about after our first game and ii) everyone at the club knows about the issue are betting that the Championship is still more often Luton away than Swansea at home from last year.

Former Labour leader
27-07-21, 19:58
That was awful.
I know it's only a friendly against good quality opposition but we offered nothing, our midfield non existent and our defence all at sea without Morrison.
Until both he and Moore come back we are going to struggle. Even then we will still be s very ordinary side .

SuisseBluebird
27-07-21, 20:02
The criticism has been around for a few years now and is largely tied to the defenders and midfielders Warnock brought in with parachute payments, his spending choices have also restricted our budget to change things since, and overall playing philosophy of the club. It's the young players and more careful signings that change things around but will be take time.

Remember, i) it's pre-season and will be forgotten about after our first game and ii) everyone at the club knows about the issue are betting that the Championship is still more often Luton away than Swansea at home from last year.

This hits the nail on the head RE: Warnock.

Think a lot of this board were in agreement when the Cardiff opted to give Warnock another crack at going for promotion with a Cardiff City team that required a complete new spine. Crazy to think that 2 years ago 10m was dropped on Flint and Glatzel alone.

BLUETIT
27-07-21, 20:04
Didn't we get stuffed in a friendly, the season we got promoted under Malky ?

AfricanBluebird
27-07-21, 20:04
Just really awful

If the press and long balls doesn't work, we literally have nothing going forward.

Once again passing and ball retention very very poor. No flair in midfield. We couldn't get Giles into the call. Played almost zero balls forward for someone to run on to.

And in the second half we completely lost our shape... The only shape we have played since Mick's been here. Bizarre

I feel sorry for the younger players coming into a team which doesn't like having the ball.

Looking at the players to come back... Of course we will be stronger, but none of the players coming back address the above issues.

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 20:06
Just really awful

If the press and long balls doesn't work, we literally have nothing going forward.

Once again passing and ball retention very very poor. No flair in midfield. We couldn't get Giles into the call. Played almost zero balls forward for someone to run on to.

And in the second half we completely lost our shape... The only shape we have played wince Mick's been here.

I feel sorry for the younger players coming into a team which doesn't like having the ball.
A few times in the first half I noticed Bowen available in the midfield to carry yhr ball forward and we opted for the little dink over to play out wide and get the cross in. That's fine, but not EVERY move. We have to be intelligent enough to mix it up and realise when players are in better positions.

the other bob wilson
27-07-21, 20:22
Just really awful

And in the second half we completely lost our shape... The only shape we have played since Mick's been here. Bizarre

Looking at the players to come back... Of course we will be stronger, but none of the players coming back address the above issues.

The club’s Twitter feed said “Southampton seeing plenty of the ball” when I looked at it in the first half and you can imagine Mick McCarthy saying something like “these are much better than us at passing the ball, so it’s important we keep our discipline and shape, don’t over commit and then maybe we can nick something from a set piece” before the match - trouble is, he probably said the same thing before we played Cambridge, Forest Green and Exeter.

goats
27-07-21, 20:23
Didn't we get stuffed in a friendly, the season we got promoted under Malky ?

Recall Wales losing 3 nil to Sweden in a friendly before euro 16…..still, can’t say I’m too excited about this season. Happy to put my neck out and say it’s going to be pretty mundane crap, at least we are used to it I guess..:hehe:

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 20:29
The club’s Twitter feed said “Southampton seeing plenty of the ball” when I looked at it in the first half and you can imagine Mick McCarthy saying something like “these are much better than us at passing the ball, so it’s important we keep our discipline and shape, don’t over commit and then maybe we can nick something from a set piece” before the match - trouble is, he probably said the same thing before we played Cambridge, Forest Green and Exeter.

:hehe:

I'll give you the Malky!!
27-07-21, 20:36
Absolutely the same old same old, no movement, no pace, no creativity....

dml1954
27-07-21, 20:40
Whats is the matter with you lot on here !! IT WAS A BLOODY FRIENDLY. Dont watch if you cant take it. Or better still, go and follow another club like Swansea or Bristol City - see where that gets you.

az city
27-07-21, 20:44
I take most pre-season games with a pinch of salt whether we win or lose. What I sometimes cannot understand is the strategy behind some of the games we play.

Warnock's USA tour - why? We played, at best, against poor League 2 standard teams in blazing heat 4-5k miles away from the UK. How was that a good warm up (pardon the pun) for a Championship campaign.

Now McCarthy chooses a line up of kids and reserves for our last-but-one dress rehearsal for the Barnsley game. Why? I bet the team sheet for the Barnsley game looks nothing like that from today. So what exactly was the purpose? A semi-U23/reserve team mix got hammered by a Southampton team that played in second gear. Pointless. I'll say it - McCarthy out.

dembethewarrior
27-07-21, 20:56
Whats is the matter with you lot on here !! IT WAS A BLOODY FRIENDLY. Dont watch if you cant take it. Or better still, go and follow another club like Swansea or Bristol City - see where that gets you.

Will we suddenly play a different brand of football come the opening game?

People are making constructive remarks.

You try too hard.

The Hooded Claw
27-07-21, 21:03
The fact that this was a friendly is neither here nor there. We’ve carried on playing the same dross as we last season and what concerns me is that the changes in playing staff is not making any difference.

Pedro de la Rosa
27-07-21, 21:08

Fair play, you are consistent.

2b2bdoo
27-07-21, 21:15
The fact that this was a friendly is neither here nor there. We’ve carried on playing the same dross as we last season and what concerns me is that the changes in playing staff is not making any difference.

McCarthy was a great choice to steady the ship after the Harris disaster but I'm still not sure why they didn't use that time to look at other options instead of panicking after a few gd results.

life on mars
27-07-21, 21:18
What's the fuss they didn't score 5

The Bloop
27-07-21, 21:21
It cant help that all through preseason part of our spine has been missing. No Morrison to organise the defence, no Moore upfront and no consistency and creativity in the middle.
Got to admire MM though for bringing through many youngsters but is it a case of too many coming through at the same time?
Southampton were very good, but our shortcomings gave them the chance to be so.

RonnieBird
27-07-21, 21:25

Fair enough and it’s also true to say that the few remaining quality players were absent for one reason or another.
Unfortunately though you just can’t think you’re going to compete at this level on the cheap and that’s what they seem to be trying to do.

The other thing I’m finding hard to avoid thinking is that MM doesn’t specially give a rats arse one way or another. He’s not going to argue about budgets and if he can blag it with a bunch of below average players that’ll be fine by him. He’ll give it a run if they pay him but if it goes completely tits up he’ll move n and forget it.

WJ99mobile
27-07-21, 21:31
Didn’t see the game but I’m a huge fan of Adams

Think he’s a top player

LeningradCowboy
27-07-21, 21:37
McCarthy was a great choice to steady the ship after the Harris disaster but I'm still not sure why they didn't use that time to look at other options instead of panicking after a few gd results.

Big Mick was going to take the Celtic job if we didn't give him a new contract.

Or something like that.

cardiff55
27-07-21, 22:15
I wasn't to bothered, considering the team we put out. Only Phillips, Nelso and Pack with any experience. I think we'll be OK this season.

RonnieBird
28-07-21, 00:35
Just watched it and it was what said. Boys V men.
Not their fault but they’re not seasoned professionals and the trialist from Bristol City was very very far over the hill ( and far away).

Moodybluebird
28-07-21, 01:43
I'd have far more respect for MM if he addressed our glaring weakness in centre midfield. I know all about his vast experience at club and international level but I don't believe he would recognise a good footballer if one was handed to him on a plate. If he was given Modric the first thing he would ask him is, "how far can yer kick ball lad ?"

Rock_Flock_of_Five
28-07-21, 04:43
Just watched it and it was what said. Boys V men.
Not their fault but they’re not seasoned professionals and the trialist from Bristol City was very very far over the hill ( and far away).

He was released by a very poor Bristol City side, who would have probably got relegated, if it wasn't for their good early season start.

I often peruse the Bristol City forum (otib) and they were happy to see him go.

Cue a 2-year contract for Marley Watkins...

AfricanBluebird
28-07-21, 04:56
I wasn't to bothered, considering the team we put out. Only Phillips, Nelso and Pack with any experience. I think we'll be OK this season.

Do you not think it is a worry that here we are, one more pre season game remaining, and we are putting a youth / reserve side out against a very good Southampton team? Hardly strung two passes together in the final third and only had one effort on goal?

AfricanBluebird
28-07-21, 05:23
He was released by a very poor Bristol City side, who would have probably got relegated, if it wasn't for their good early season start.

Apart from one run and two incidents of pressing that resulted in us gaining possession, he was pretty anonymous.

Saying that as an attacking force we are pretty anonymous all round.

fred keenor
28-07-21, 06:06
Apart from one run and two incidents of pressing that resulted in us gaining possession, he was pretty anonymous.

I reckon he will definately be given a contract to sit in front of Bagan for protection.

A very , very worrying performance.

too many kids im afraid at this level is a recipe for relegation

The Hooded Claw
28-07-21, 07:07
“Don’t worry, lads. Kieffer’ll be back soon and yer can ‘oof it oop to ‘im…”

2b2bdoo
28-07-21, 08:26
Big Mick was going to take the Celtic job if we didn't give him a new contract.

Or something like that.

Yeah I remembered the rumour, probably started by his agent lol.

If it really was the case then they should have let him go and made long term plans instead of repeating the same mistakes.

Former Labour leader
28-07-21, 08:58
Barnsley seem to be having a solid pre season, beating Rochdale and Sheffield Weds already.
Signed and sold a couple of players as well.

dembethewarrior
28-07-21, 09:08

He got my attention in the first 2 or 3 minutes closing down balls etc, so kept an eye on him for a bit. Nothing there that excites me.

Cue a 3 year contract.

cardiff55
28-07-21, 10:29

We don't need him, as we have enough midfielders, all of whom are better than him. Ralls, Pack, Bacuna, Tomlin, Wintle, Colwill.

dembethewarrior
28-07-21, 11:16
We don't need him, as we have enough midfielders, all of whom are better than him. Ralls, Pack, Bacuna, Tomlin, Wintle, Colwill.

Isn't he a winger.

You've just named some CM and attacking midfielders mate 👍

I don't think we need him either I agree in that respect, but maybe another body in the group (not him) is needed though?

We'll get the covid excuse for this signing, have to take whats available with the budget etc, and in all honesty I'd rather we promoted form the youth if it's going to be a sub player/cover anyway.

No doubt a few will like him because he runs around like a mad man.

2b2bdoo
28-07-21, 11:29
Isn't he a winger.

You've just named some CM and attacking midfielders mate ��

I don't think we need him either I agree in that respect, but maybe another body in the group (not him) is needed though?

We'll get the covid excuse for this signing, have to take whats available with the budget etc, and in all honesty I'd rather we promoted form the youth if it's going to be a sub player/cover anyway.

Totally agree, it's these kind of players we want off the books not bring into the club if we want to give youth a chance.

dembethewarrior
28-07-21, 11:42
Totally agree, it's these kind of players we want off the books not bring into the club if we want to give youth a chance.
This is why I don't believe we are truly giving youth a chance, it's anyone who fits the wage structure.

We don't need another 30 year old bench warmer, and if Murphy isn't good enough to keep this journeyman out of the team he has to question himself wtf he is still doing here at this stage with out of contract players being brought in.

2b2bdoo
28-07-21, 11:46
This is why I don't believe we are truly giving youth a chance, it's anyone who fits the wage structure.

We don't need another 30 year old bench warmer, and if Murphy isn't good enough to keep this journeyman out of the team he has to question himself wtf he is still doing here at this stage with out of contract players being brought in.

I'll interested to see how many youngsters actually get time tbh. Thought Colwill should have had more time end of last season.

dembethewarrior
28-07-21, 11:54
I'll interested to see how many youngsters actually get time tbh. Thought Colwill should have had more time end of last season.

I agree.

We will probably go with experience from the off, which is fine, but the issue is when we bring in experience that isn't as good and then they start to get in the way of the kids, I'd much rather see Evans get 20 get 20 minutes at the end of a game than bring on Marley Watkins. I'm not knocking him personally, he might come in and be our player of the season, I just don't want us to sign him in the first place.

Michael Morris
28-07-21, 12:08
Isn't he a winger.

You've just named some CM and attacking midfielders mate ��

More McCarthy comments

Marley Watkins turned out for a second time for Cardiff City during this pre-season campaign on Tuesday night.

The one-cap Wales international played in the 5-0 drubbing of Bath City earlier in the summer but the intensity was ramped up again during the clash with Premier League opposition Southampton.

It prompted many to believe that City were on the verge of signing the former Bristol City and Norwich City forward, who has been without a club since leaving the former earlier this summer.

Mick McCarthy said he was pleased with how the player performed in the first half against Southampton, but made no guarantees over signing the free agent.

"The answer to that is I'm not sure," McCarthy said after the match.

"Marley asked if he could come in and train. I've known Marley a long time, I like him, he played at Barnsley and had a very good time.

"He's had a couple of injuries which have restricted him.

"I said, 'Look, you can come in and train' and, to be honest, with our lack of numbers it's been good to have him.

"I thought he did alright in the first half. But there's no promises on anything.

"But I thought he started the game really well. He did OK."

The Bluebirds have recruited free transfers James Collins, Ryan Wintle and Mark McGuinness already this summer, while Ryan Giles has penned a season-long loan deal in the Welsh capital.

McCarthy certainly appears happy with his lot, too, because he reiterated once again that he believes the Bluebirds' business to be done for the window.

"You can see there's not much action going on in the transfer market.

"I thought Mark McGuinness was the pick of the bunch today, he's played very well. I've no doubt he's going to be a very good player for us.

"Ryan Wintle, he's got a groin [injury], but he's done well. James Collins got a rest today, but he's got four goals and done well.

"But I don't see much action in the transfer market with us.

"We'll be going with pretty much what we have."

dembethewarrior
28-07-21, 12:17
More McCarthy comments

Marley Watkins turned out for a second time for Cardiff City during this pre-season campaign on Tuesday night.

The one-cap Wales international played in the 5-0 drubbing of Bath City earlier in the summer but the intensity was ramped up again during the clash with Premier League opposition Southampton.

It prompted many to believe that City were on the verge of signing the former Bristol City and Norwich City forward, who has been without a club since leaving the former earlier this summer.

Mick McCarthy said he was pleased with how the player performed in the first half against Southampton, but made no guarantees over signing the free agent.

"The answer to that is I'm not sure," McCarthy said after the match.

"Marley asked if he could come in and train. I've known Marley a long time, I like him, he played at Barnsley and had a very good time.

"He's had a couple of injuries which have restricted him.

"I said, 'Look, you can come in and train' and, to be honest, with our lack of numbers it's been good to have him.

"I thought he did alright in the first half. But there's no promises on anything.

"But I thought he started the game really well. He did OK."

The Bluebirds have recruited free transfers James Collins, Ryan Wintle and Mark McGuinness already this summer, while Ryan Giles has penned a season-long loan deal in the Welsh capital.

McCarthy certainly appears happy with his lot, too, because he reiterated once again that he believes the Bluebirds' business to be done for the window.

"I thought Mark McGuinness was the pick of the bunch today, he's played very well. I've no doubt he's going to be a very good player for us.

"Ryan Wintle, he's got a groin [injury], but he's done well. James Collins got a rest today, but he's got four goals and done well.

If its training then great

Like I said, won't knock the lad just rather our own get the chances.

Don't see why he got an hour in place of one of our own either in a friendly game, that's strange as well if he isn't signing. But hey ho I'm not the manager.

I think MM is a wily old fox like NW was tbh.

And to add further, if he was only training why not just say that? Why make commentators call him trialist 24 like some big secret?

.. Not all of that is directed towards you Mike just rambling after reading the post.

Rjk
28-07-21, 12:19

in terms of attacking midfielders/ wingers we have Tomlin, Colwill, Whyte, Murphy and Giles.
lots of question marks over those 5 for different reasons. but I agree that Watkins seems a bit like this season's Jonny Williams

surge
28-07-21, 12:25
More McCarthy comments

"Ryan Wintle, he's got a groin , but he's done well. James Collins got a rest today, but he's got four goals and done well.

8 new signings - Birmingham, Blackpool, Luton, QPR
7 new signings - Huddersfield
5 signings - Coventry, Hull, Boro, Millwall, Posh
4 - Cardiff
3 - Bristol City, Preston, Stoke, Swansea
2 - Fulham, Forest, WBA
1 - Barnsley, Bournemouth
0 - Derby, Reading, Blackburn, Sheff Utd

https://twitter.com/blues_breakdown/status/1419702932342251525

Still a few days to go but did anyone have us down in the top half of activity in summer window?

Jimmy the Jock
28-07-21, 12:29

Cardiff play dire football . If we had beat Southampton 6-0 that fact wouldn't have changed.
We are all allowed our opinions .
Like you are yours...

Jimmy the Jock
28-07-21, 12:32

If we actually do play the youngsters , that will be one glimmer of light...

PhyllisStant
28-07-21, 13:48
Cardiff play dire football . If we had beat Southampton 6-0 that fact wouldn't have changed.
We are all allowed our opinions .
Like you are yours...

Our football is terrible to watch, I can't work out if it's our mid fielders inability to pass, or the tactics and formation we're using.

Southampton were favourites last night and showed that but for me the most worrying display was against Exeter where we made them look like Brasil at times.

City123
28-07-21, 14:09
I reckon he will definately be given a contract to sit in front of Bagan for protection.

A very , very worrying performance.

too many kids im afraid at this level is a recipe for relegation
The only youngster likely to get a significant number of games is Bagan, the others are certainly backups.

az city
28-07-21, 14:40
Best bit of the performance was taking the knee and what appeared (though it was hard to hear) to be the crowd applauding.

Proud of that.

NYCBlue
28-07-21, 15:33
I just realised that Cardiff 0-3 Southampton is the only Premier League game I have ever been to. What a dismal affair. I had to sit on my own and I wanted to leave at half time.

Joe Gillis
28-07-21, 18:04
Our football is terrible to watch, I can't work out if it's our mid fielders inability to pass, or the tactics and formation we're using.

Southampton were favourites last night and showed that but for me the most worrying display was against Exeter where we made them look like Brasil at times.

It's our midfielders inability to pass

tforturton
28-07-21, 18:05
We can't keep the ball, and we can't get it back once we lose it.

Michael Morris
28-07-21, 22:29
Video highlights:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6vtiqbcy3rI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dembethewarrior
29-07-21, 00:34
Best bit of the performance was taking the knee and what appeared (though it was hard to hear) to be the crowd applauding.

Proud of that.

Thought bowen showed a bit in the first half until our style completely put him out of the game. If he had players around him that wanted to play he could be a real positive. But we don't.. So sadly he probably won't.