PDA

View Full Version : FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 1 BARNSLEY

Michael Morris
01-08-21, 12:33
Saturday August 7th, ko 3pm.

At the time of starting this thread we are waiting for exact ticketing details (for home and away fans) and confirmation of match officials.

Cardiff could potentially allow all seats to be sold. Barnsley have requested 1513 tickets.

It's a first competitive game in charge for new Barnsley manager Markus Schopp.

The starting line up v Newport on Saturday offers a clue as to the likely team for the Barnsley fixture

Cardiff City: Smithies, Ng, Morrison, Flint, Nelson, Bagan, Ralls, Pack, Giles, Bacuna, Collins.

We've still not seen any pre-season action from Kieffer Moore, but he has been spotted at the stadium and has been pictured in training.

Carl Dale's Mole
01-08-21, 13:07
CAN’T WAIT :ayatollah:

Trigger
01-08-21, 13:17
Really looking forward to getting back down there.

All seats available would be great.

UNDERHILL1927
01-08-21, 14:44
CAN’T WAIT :ayatollah:

Me neither, gagging to get back down for a real game. Will be the first time I think a lot of us have felt proper normality for a long long time

PontBlue
01-08-21, 15:13
Are we back to 3 from 7 in terms of subs?

jon1959
01-08-21, 15:30
Are we back to 3 from 7 in terms of subs?

Yes.

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php?449397-Back-to-the-old-subs-bench-rules-for-2021-22

PontBlue
01-08-21, 16:45
Thanks, My memory isn't what it used to be! :-)

jon1959
03-08-21, 16:51
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-honour-club-icon-21217215

Cardiff City will include a special homage to the late Peter Whittingham on Saturday ahead of the first league game supporters have been allowed to attend since the club legend died.

The club has asked for all supporters to send in photographs of loved ones to display on the big screen before kick-off against Barnsley at Cardiff City Stadium, accompanied by a minute's silence.

It is understood the tribute will culminate in a video of Whittingham's iconic goal against Barnsley back in March 2011, a stunning strike which saw him volley the ball into the top corner from 30 yards.

A crowd-surfing banner of Whitts will also be present for supporters to pass along in the stands. Said banner will then sit at the top of the Canton Stand permanently.

Cardiff have also confirmed to WalesOnline that they are committed to playing a Peter Whittingham tribute match next year. The opponents for that game are yet to be confirmed but discussions are ongoing.

Eric the Half a Bee
04-08-21, 06:02
I had said I wasn't going to go for a bit, to see how things pan out, but then friends of mine got tickets and decided to get mine. Might get a season ticket as well. The taste of watered down lager in a plastic cup will never have tasted better!

Michael Morris
04-08-21, 07:50
Match Officials:

Referee: Stephen Martin
Assistant Referees: Mark Pottage, Steven Meredith
Fourth Official: Lee Swabey

jon1959
05-08-21, 11:11
https://the72.co.uk/243991/how-we-expect-barnsley-to-line-up-v-cardiff-city-this-weekend/

Predicted Barnsley XI: Collins, Brittain, Sibbick, Helik, Kitching, J.Williams, Styles, Benson, Morris, Woodrow, Cole

Rjk
05-08-21, 11:37
https://the72.co.uk/243991/how-we-expect-barnsley-to-line-up-v-cardiff-city-this-weekend/

Predicted Barnsley XI: Collins, Brittain, Sibbick, Helik, Kitching, J.Williams, Styles, Benson, Morris, Woodrow, Cole

They'll miss Alex Mowatt and Daryl Dike, but I think theyll still be strong. The entire squad is very young, but now has a decent amount of experience for their age and they should be improving with that.
Theyve signed 3 strikers in the summer it seems, so if one of those starts banging them in I tihnk they could well be up there again.

jon1959
05-08-21, 14:19
Outside chance that Kiefer Moore might make the bench for Barnsley - but Lee Tomlin, Isaac Vassell, Rubin Colwill, Isaak Davies and Kieron Evans all ruled out.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/delighted-mick-mccarthy-delivers-kieffer-21235693

Once again Mick is saying that Moore and Colwill (and Bacuna and Ng) had Covid - not just isolating as contacts.

No serious transfer interest in Moore. Excellent news!

Carl Dale's Mole
05-08-21, 14:31
Ok we're losing this one.

the other bob wilson
06-08-21, 06:35
I reckon Moore will be on the bench - we seem pretty short of strikers.

delmbox
06-08-21, 10:14
I predict an underwhelming start but for us to improve as the season goes on

Hilts
06-08-21, 10:16
I reckon Moore will be on the bench - we seem pretty short of strikers.

Any idea on Isaak Davies injury Bob?

The Lone Gunman
06-08-21, 11:08
Outside chance that Kiefer Moore might make the bench for Barnsley - but Lee Tomlin, Isaac Vassell, Rubin Colwill, Isaak Davies and Kieron Evans all ruled out.

Tomlin and Vassell ruled out? Didn't see that coming.....

Carl Dale's Mole
06-08-21, 11:17
I predict an underwhelming start but for us to improve as the season goes on

Exactly this.

Mick said this at the press conference:

"Are we in a good place? I think we are. We’ve got a lot of players back, not too many injuries."

Then he went on to list about ten injuries.

Der Kaiser
06-08-21, 13:43
3-0 City.

Rjk
06-08-21, 13:48
1-1

Michael Morris
06-08-21, 14:51
Cardiff vs Barnsley, Saturday 3pm - Sky Prediction

Cardiff will start the season with high hopes of making the top six under Mick McCarthy, even without Harry Wilson in their ranks this season. McCarthy knows all about this division and they have the quality in their squad to challenge.

Barnsley have lost their manager and their talisman in Alex Mowatt. They are so well run, though, and you always trust their managerial appointments. It will be fascinating to see how Markus Schopp gets on and if can continue to build on what Valerien Ismael achieved. It could be a bumpy start, however. Home win.

Prutton predicts: 1-0

Michael Morris
06-08-21, 15:00

Michael Morris
06-08-21, 15:04
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">1️⃣9️⃣2️⃣7️⃣ IPA<br><br>Brewed for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bluebirds?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bluebirds</a> by <a href="https://twitter.com/GlamBrewingCo?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@GlamBrewingCo</a>. ��<br><br>�� Available at CCS this season ➡️ <a href="https://t.co/Hxa5Z0rcj3">https://t.co/Hxa5Z0rcj3</a><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CityAsOne?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CityAsOne</a> <a href="https://t.co/vNL5yyXrWU">pic.twitter.com/vNL5yyXrWU</a></p>&mdash; Cardiff City FC (@CardiffCityFC) <a href="https://twitter.com/CardiffCityFC/status/1423660137248608269?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 6, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Freitag 4.17
06-08-21, 20:19
Been keeping a distance for a bit.. from skim reading some threads it seems we've signed Bale.. which is great, confused given we're showing that much ambition we've got RonnieBird predicting us to lose very match 5-0 TBH!.. Cardiff 5 (Bale 3, Moore 1, Wilson 1) - Barnsley 0. UnBALEvable!!

jon1959
06-08-21, 22:09
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/cardiff-city-v-barnsley-captain-cauley-woodrow-to-embrace-reds-new-style-3337503

It sounds as if Barnsley have completely changed their (successful) playing style with their change of manager.

No more direct play, high press, run the legs off all opponents. Now they are playing 'tippy tappy' out from the back!

I like it.

Former Labour leader
06-08-21, 22:18
Yes, could be dangerous for Barnsley changing style so rapidly.
Having said that, I think they will nick it 1-0.

celticknight
07-08-21, 07:21
Didn't Paul Trollope try to do something similar with us? :hehe:

I think Barnsley will win 2-1. I just think we have "mid table mediocrity" written all over us this year. 12th place here we come!

WJ99mobile
07-08-21, 07:30

How is Woodrow still there? Thought he was out of contract?

BLUETIT
07-08-21, 08:14

I'd love to have Styles in our team. One to watch

Michael Morris
07-08-21, 09:30
Match facts

Cardiff City have lost one of their last 14 league games against Barnsley (W9 D4), a 4-3 home loss in the 2016-17 campaign.
Barnsley are set to face Cardiff in their first league match of the season for the first time since 2006-07, when they were beaten 2-1 at Oakwell.
Cardiff have lost their opening league match of the season in each of their last three seasons, as many as in their previous 23 combined (W10 D10).
Barnsley have lost their first league match of the season in nine of their last 13 seasons in the second tier of English football (W2 D2) and lost 1-0 to Luton Town last season.
From Mick McCarthy’s first league game in charge of Cardiff against Barnsley in January, no Championship side lost fewer games between then and the end of the season than the Bluebirds (3, level with Barnsley and Norwich).

xsnaggle
07-08-21, 10:35
What's wrong with Tomlin this Time? Or is it just his fat belly?

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 11:36
What's wrong with Tomlin this Time? Or is it just his fat belly?
"support the boys and make some noise"

Or just call them fat bastards online. Grown up.

Shep Proudfoot
07-08-21, 12:08
Unfortunately I cant get there today but hoping you all have a fantastic time!

Is there any way I can watch it at home...like last year's / pre-season matchday passes, for example? Have had a good look but doesnt seem to be available now that the season has commenced.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 12:21
Unfortunately I cant get there today but hoping you all have a fantastic time!

Is there any way I can watch it at home...like last year's / pre-season matchday passes, for example? Have had a good look but doesnt seem to be available now that the season has commenced.

Iptv is always the way forward. One off payment and even if you don't get to use it week in week out its there when you need it and you get the bonus of ppv events etc as well. If I watch a few city games on mine and a few Saturday night boxing then it pays for itself. Even better you can watch all the away games if you don't travel.

Shep Proudfoot
07-08-21, 12:55
Thanks a lot, Dembe! Will investigate...

3-1 City. Blooooobbbbirrrrddddsssss!

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 13:01

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 13:02
No surprises there

surge
07-08-21, 13:03
I do like the look of our bench :thumbup:

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 13:03
For some reason I thought Morrison would be fit enough to start.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 13:04
For some reason I thought Morrison would be fit enough to start.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CSRPbuwAzIE/?utm_medium=copy_link

Sounds like a couple are going to be a few games in before getting a start. Only saw this 10 mins ago..

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 13:05
I do like the look of our bench :thumbup:
Same

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 13:06
Thanks a lot, Dembe! Will investigate...

3-1 City. Blooooobbbbirrrrddddsssss!

Usually around 50 quid. Peanuts.

LeningradCowboy
07-08-21, 13:08
4495 Looks weak.

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 13:17
Down 0-3 at half time. Winning 4-3 full time.

NYCBlue
07-08-21, 13:34
Jesus, CCTV International has gone from £5 a game to £10 a game!

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 13:36

Was a tenner over here last year. I know it's cheaper than a ticket but I wasn't paying a tenner to see a shit camera angle with bad commentary so I always streamed :hehe:

NYCBlue
07-08-21, 13:40
Was a tenner over here last year. I know it's cheaper than a ticket but I wasn't paying a tenner to see a shit camera angle with bad commentary so I always streamed :hehe:

I bought a monthly for £25. $34.85! When did the Pound bounce back?

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 13:49
I bought a monthly for £25. $34.85! When did the Pound bounce back?

I can't say i keep up to date with it.

Since I've deleted social media and don't take any notice of the news life has become much happier for me.

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 14:08

They've stuck a bunch of ads over the screen too! I swear that's new.

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 14:09
Absolutely amazing hearing our fans once again.

WJ99mobile
07-08-21, 14:16
Jesus we look dire

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 14:17
Jesus we look dire

Huh? Bit premature surely?

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 14:19
That was beautiful. Bagan to Giles to......Bacuna.

NYCBlue
07-08-21, 14:19

Bacuna should have done better there.

Eric the Half a Bee
07-08-21, 14:20
20 minutes in and this is utter garbage.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 14:21

Prefer that to the empty knocks into the channel. Your stream is a bit ahead of me as well :hehe:

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 14:21
What the **** were people expecting to see after 20 mins?!?!

Cowbridge Blue
07-08-21, 14:22
Bacuna should have done better there.

much better - why isn't Harris in that role this afternoon?

WJ99mobile
07-08-21, 14:23
Huh? Bit premature surely?

Up to that point writing on the wall
Phillips can’t kick
Nelson and Ralls can’t pass
We’re constantly choosing wrong options
Back 3 only comfortable hoofing it
Collins runs like a tugboat

Yes I’m negative but we look crap apart from Giles and the odd occasion the full backs are allowed the ball

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 14:23
much better - why isn't Harris in that role this afternoon?

I would have preferred literally ANYONE on the end of that instead of Bacuna.

NYCBlue
07-08-21, 14:27
Would it kill them to just look up and try to pass the ball instead of headers, flicks-on, and speculative long balls?

WJ99mobile
07-08-21, 14:27
Great header nelson

Didn’t look offside

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 14:29
I would have preferred literally ANYONE on the end of that instead of Bacuna.

Cos Bacuna can drop in and play as an extra midfielder.

Why attack at home when you can play percentage football and go safe.

That's not a moan, just an observation.

Also, this is a moan, why when Ralls won the ball in the middle just now did he instantly hook it up to Bacuna, why are we doing this so much? Pass the bleeding ball it's not a time bomb.

Collins off there? Shame.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 14:30
Great header nelson

Didn’t look offside

Eh :hehe:

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 14:32
That's better Joe Ralls, a nice pass.

WJ99mobile
07-08-21, 14:32
Eh :hehe:

Saw it once in ground.

Assuming it was clear then

2b2bdoo
07-08-21, 14:33
No Vaulks, I assume injured but Wintle still didn't start, interesting.

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 14:34
No Vaulks, I assume injured but Wintle still didn't start, interesting.

Vaulks suspended. Wintle coming back from injury.

PontBlue
07-08-21, 14:34
Vaulks is still serving his suspension

Cowbridge Blue
07-08-21, 14:36
Cos Bacuna can drop in and play as an extra midfielder.

Why attack at home when you can play percentage football and go safe.

That's not a moan, just an observation.

Also, this is a moan, why when Ralls won the ball in the middle just now did he instantly hook it up to Bacuna, why are we doing this so much? Pass the bleeding ball it's not a time bomb.

Collins off there? Shame.

Bacuna is playing forward alongside Collins

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 14:40
Bacuna is playing forward alongside Collins

It was asked why he is, instead of Harris.

I answered, because he can drop into midfield. Micks 532.

Nobody asked where he is playing.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 14:42
Not sure how Bagan misses there. Have to congratulate the defender.

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 14:42
Not sure how Bagan misses there. Have to congratulate the defender.

Looked a foul to me!

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 14:49
Some good stuff. Some not-so-good stuff. Still find it weird to see long term fans call THIS dire.

Enjoying it so far.

NYCBlue
07-08-21, 14:50
Slightly more composure towards the end of the half. Barnsley don't look very good at all. We should win this. Let's just hope MM doesn't get outmaneuvered.

Cowbridge Blue
07-08-21, 14:51
It was asked why he is, instead of Harris.

I answered, because he can drop into midfield. Micks 532.

Nobody asked where he is playing.

The point is he's the second forward player but can't hit a barn door.

WJ99mobile
07-08-21, 14:53
Slightly more composure towards the end of the half. Barnsley don't look very good at all. We should win this. Let's just hope MM doesn't get outmaneuvered.

We’ve managed to settle towards end of the half defo

Thank god.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 14:57
Some good stuff. Some not-so-good stuff. Still find it weird to see long term fans call THIS dire.

Enjoying it so far.

To be fair mate, it shouldn't matter where we've been or how we've played decades ago when we had 3k fans blah blah. If people think it's dire they're entitled to call it such.

I don't like the way we play, haven't for ages.

THIRTY NINE PERCENT PASS ACCURACY.

A solid TWENTY FIVE in the attacking third.

Why does Joe Ralls boot the ball up the pitch every time he comes out of a scrum? He could play for the lions with his box kicking.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 14:58

I had no idea you were making a point. I answered someone's question that's about it.

RonnieBird
07-08-21, 14:59
Impressive finding of level by all accounts.
This is good.
I suggest Keifer comes on about min 65 which, providing they can consolidate first half stability should do the trick.

Pity no Tomlin n the bench for ten minute shock assault.

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 15:06
To be fair mate, it shouldn't matter where we've been or how we've played decades ago when we had 3k fans blah blah. If people think it's dire they're entitled to call it such.

I don't like the way we play, haven't for ages.

THIRTY NINE PERCENT PASS ACCURACY.

A solid TWENTY FIVE in the attacking third.

Why does Joe Ralls boot the ball up the pitch every time he comes out of a scrum? He could play for the lions with his box kicking.

You're right and I'm not trying to be the opinion police or tell people how to feel. I just don't understand it that's all.

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 15:07
That's four.

That's four times Bacuna's had the ball in an attacking area and absolutely nothing has come from it.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 15:08
You're right and I'm not trying to be the opinion police or tell people how to feel. I just don't understand it that's all.

Didn't mean it in such a way mate :thumbup:

Cowbridge Blue
07-08-21, 15:09

Another weak effort from Bacuna - he isn't equipped to do the job being asked of him.

Followed by an open goal howler!

Change it for someone who can put the ball in the net

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 15:09
That's four.

That's four times Bacuna's had the ball in an attacking area and absolutely nothing has come from it.

And that miss, to add on to that terrible pass into the box a second ago.

We need attacking players in attacking roles. It's really that basic.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 15:10
Another weak effort from Bacuna - he isn't equipped to do the job being asked of him.

Followed by an open goal howler!

Change it for someone who can put the ball in the net

We will be accused of Bacuna bashing, but this is absolutely right. Can't knock the ayer for trying, but it's not his role. Manager at fault.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 15:11
That's some let off.

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 15:12
YEEEEEESSSSSSSSUNuinUNI!!!!!!!

NYCBlue
07-08-21, 15:13
BULLET!

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 15:13
Giles though.

RonnieBird
07-08-21, 15:14
1-0
That’ll do.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 15:14
Giles though.

Lovely cross that. Good header as well from the much maligned Pack.

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 15:15

I promise to malign him slightly less after that :hehe:

NYCBlue
07-08-21, 15:16

Pack is having a good game today.

Seabird
07-08-21, 15:16
Would be nice to see pro-active subs now.

Grangenders
07-08-21, 15:18
Credit to Pack where it’s due. He’s our top scorer this season

PhyllisStant
07-08-21, 15:19
Would be nice to see pro-active subs now.

Colwill for Bacuna please

NYCBlue
07-08-21, 15:24
That's got to be a yellow card!

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 15:25
That's got to be a yellow card!

Lined him up and completely took him out.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 15:25
Pack is having a good game today.

Wintle on along side him now as well.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 15:26
I promise to malign him slightly less after that :hehe:

:hehe:

Must've paused my stream at the start just seen the "yellow" that wasn't given for their no3 ****ing hell :hehe:

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 15:28
Oh boy.

NYCBlue
07-08-21, 15:29
What was Nelson doing? He couldn't get a foot on that? Or at least try?

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 15:30

It almost looked like he pulled his leg back in the replay.

Carl Dale's Mole
07-08-21, 15:34
SOUND THE ALARM! TWO UPFRONT!

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 15:40

Collins. The striker chasing back was right on the lads shoulder before he shot.

ToTaL ITK
07-08-21, 15:41
it's going to be a loooong season

2b2bdoo
07-08-21, 15:42
Vaulks suspended. Wintle coming back from injury.

Ah yeah, remembered after posting.

Didn't know Wintle had been injured.

Hilts
07-08-21, 15:54
Well thats one 5 nil hammering avoided.

NYCBlue
07-08-21, 15:54
Disappointing. MM is just not a smart game-day coach.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 15:56
Disappointing. MM is just not a smart game-day coach.

I agree.

Was there for us today.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 16:01
We need to be better than 43 0ercent pass accuracy. 31 in the final third.

I appreciate long balls can be effective, I watch man City and Liverpool do it effectively. I think our over reliance on them is going to stifle us though.

We have better players. We don't need Joe Ralls playing like a scrum half booting the ball into obscurity, I saw him play a decent pass out to Bacuna first half, why they persist with these volleyed hoofs instead of taking the ball down and controlling it before a pass really bothers me.

I'd be moaning if we won 3 nil, because that type of football over a full season is going to be hard to watch, we have the odd brilliant moment but overall its not going to entertain.

B. Oddie
07-08-21, 16:09
I think it's a fair result. Barnsley are going to be play-off contenders.

jon1959
07-08-21, 16:10
Is the Leo 'fox in the box' Bacuna experiment now over?

I like Bacuna - but not as a right back or a second striker. He is a box-to-box midfielder.

Moodybluebird
07-08-21, 16:12
We need to be better than 43 0ercent pass accuracy. 31 in the final third.

I appreciate long balls can be effective, I watch man City and Liverpool do it effectively. I think our over reliance on them is going to stifle us though.

We have better players. We don't need Joe Ralls playing like a scrum half booting the ball into obscurity, I saw him play a decent pass out to Bacuna first half, why they persist with these volleyed hoofs instead of taking the ball down and controlling it before a pass really bothers me.

I'd be moaning if we won 3 nil, because that type of football over a full season is going to be hard to watch, we have the odd brilliant moment but overall its not going to entertain.

The moment MM was employed, entertainment went out of the window I'm afraid. He's a limited pragmatic coach who can put together a team of battlers but no more than that. If we had deeper pockets and with it more ambition, the time would be right to look further afield but we haven't so be prepared for a load of snoozefests this season.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 16:17
The moment MM was employed, entertainment went out of the window I'm afraid. He's a limited pragmatic coach who can put together a team of battlers but no more than that. If we had deeper pockets and with it more ambition, the time would be right to look further afield but we haven't so be prepared for a load of snoozefests this season.

Agreed.

I'm questioning if I made it up in my head but I'm sure Dalman said we were looking for a more attacking style of play with the new manager. Watching the lions now so not going to go hunting for it.

goats
07-08-21, 16:21
Only 17000…..jeez

splott parker
07-08-21, 16:30
Watching the lions now so not going to go hunting for it.

F*ck me, that’s a step up from baby sitting:yikes: Where d’you keep ‘em?

delmbox
07-08-21, 16:36
Having just come back I stand by this, both teams looked rusty, it was pretty ugly at times, that’s not our best team. If we play like that after 10 games I’ll be worried but nowhere near worried yet.

Nice to be back!

surge
07-08-21, 16:37
Who was meant to be covering the space Bagan left when they scored? Presumably not Collins who was chasing back so a CM or CB didn't react well at all. Opposition sides going to target Bagan all year so someone needs to be thinking about this.

Not a huge fan of Bacuna so forward but he was switched on to win us the corner when nothing else was available before our goal.

Giles was good but hopefully Wintle easing self back into things post injury - not great from his subs appearance.

1-1 was fair result. We need to be a lot better to get into play-offs.

LeningradCowboy
07-08-21, 16:37
Collins played pretty well. He's clearly better suited than Glatzel at playing up front for us. Apart from that, it was the same old story.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 16:43
F*ck me, that’s a step up from baby sitting:yikes: Where d’you keep ‘em?

:hehe:

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 16:47
Having just come back I stand by this, both teams looked rusty, it was pretty ugly at times, that’s not our best team. If we play like that after 10 games I’ll be worried but nowhere near worried yet.

Nice to be back!

I appreciate your post, we may have been rusty, but the basics and principles of the way he wants us to play are there for all to see, it is possible we get less rusty, but playing how mick wants us to play but being a bit less rusty won't improve the spectacle imo.

We are no different to a Warnock or Harris team.. I was hoping the new manager was going to be the chance to see us play better football. It obviously isn't.

RonnieBird
07-08-21, 16:58
Thought that was most encouraging.
Giles most impressive. Wintle looks as if he’s going to struggle in the championship though.

LeningradCowboy
07-08-21, 17:05
At least we didn't lose on the opening day of the season again.

Rjk
07-08-21, 17:07
Thought that was most encouraging.
Giles most impressive. Wintle looks as if he’s going to struggle in the championship though.

let's wait until at least a few games at this level to make that kind of judgement

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 17:19
let's wait until at least a few games at this level to make that kind of judgement

I agree.

I may be a hypocrite to some as I criticised Bacuna's position, and I didn't like the way we were asked to play, but I believe players need a fair bit of playing tome before being labelled not good enough.

Although, looking at who you quoted (blocked for me) I can see the angle. I'd ignore it.

City123
07-08-21, 17:33
I thought that was really poor. No composure, no obvious patterns to our play, just hit it in behind and chase, hopefully win a set piece

Bacuna as a 10 doesn't work, either play him in his proper position or don't play him

Trigger
07-08-21, 18:17
Good to be back.

No excuse for our inability to pass properly any time the ball is moving, bobbling, bouncing or being put under pressure.

Thought Giles looks decent, should rack up a few assists if he doesn't always pick out Bacuna :hehe:

RonnieBird
07-08-21, 19:02

No, I disagree.
Perhaps the boy can improve but he’s nowhere near the standard at this point. That means he’s no more immediate use than a gifted academy player. Nothing personal, just how it goes is.

cardiff55
07-08-21, 19:14
I don't know if it's just me but I though both full backs were not very good today. If we play 5 at the back then the wingbacks need to have bit of pace, ours just played the full back role in a back 5, which meant we are losing a player further forward. Pack and Ralls have no pace in the middle, Bacuna had an off day, but saw a lot of the ball. Collins was Ok, but there was absolutely no pace in the team, and the only player who showed a bit of class was Giles. Our back 3 were good though.

As for the question posed above about who was supposed to be covering the space on the left for Bagan, I suggest it should have been Bagan. But early days yet and McGuinness, Collins and Giles were making their debuts for us, and Bagan does not have much experience.

City123
07-08-21, 19:15
No, I disagree.
Perhaps the boy can improve but he’s nowhere near the standard at this point. That means he’s no more immediate use than a gifted academy player. Nothing personal, just how it goes is.
He was only on the pitch for 25 minutes ffs

Hilts
07-08-21, 19:16
We clearly missed Ralls when he went off.

The dominant midfielder on both sides. Unfair comparison for Wintle.

rich munn
07-08-21, 19:20

Nice to be back!

:thumbup:

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 19:26
We clearly missed Ralls when he went off.

The dominant midfielder on both sides. Unfair comparison for Wintle.

Yeah his scrum half box kicking was sadly missed.

Hilts
07-08-21, 19:36
Yeah his scrum half box kicking was sadly missed.

Winning the ball was. Easily the best CM on the pitch.

Michael Morris
07-08-21, 19:47
I don't know if it's just me but I though both full backs were not very good today. If we play 5 at the back then the wingbacks need to have bit of pace, ours just played the full back role in a back 5, which meant we are losing a player further forward. Pack and Ralls have no pace in the middle, Bacuna had an off day, but saw a lot of the ball. Collins was Ok, but there was absolutely no pace in the team, and the only player who showed a bit of class was Giles. Our back 3 were good though.

As for the question posed above about who was supposed to be covering the space on the left for Bagan, I suggest it should have been Bagan. But early days yet and McGuinness, Collins and Giles were making their debuts for us, and Bagan does not have much experience.

I though Bagan did well first half. NG didn't seem to do much. Flint was excellent defending balls into the box but I do worry when teams scamper around the edge of our box and find space. Phillips rescued us with a superb save in the first half.

Giles does look good and delivered some great crosses.

Hilts
07-08-21, 19:51
Giles looks a big plus..

Smithies should be in goal.

Moore and Morrison back and we are comfortably top half.

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 19:52
Winning the ball was. Easily the best CM on the pitch.

He's got to do better when he has the ball.

JumpersforGoalposts
07-08-21, 19:53

Ng hardly got in the game at all, while Bagan managed ONE pass in the game to a teammate - and then he managed to overhit it to Collins who had to go tearing down the line to get to it. Also way out of position for the equaliser. If some "consultation" with MM and TC doesn't sort him out quickly we need to be getting a contract in front of Bennett asap.

Gnojek
07-08-21, 20:38

Agree totally with this. I'm ok with managers like McCarthy coming in to a club mid-season to instil much needed organisation and confidence, but to push on to the next phase with a clean slate is a different matter. It was great to be back but I have serious doubts about the coming season. The system seems king, with players fitting in to it (rather than the other way around). Some players will be more obvious picks than others, as a result. Oh to see some creativity and pace out there, oh to see a proper number 10 (Tomlin or Colwill), rather than more safety first backward/sideways passing and set-pieces being so important.

surge
07-08-21, 20:46
Ng hardly got in the game at all, while Bagan managed ONE pass in the game to a teammate - and then he managed to overhit it to Collins who had to go tearing down the line to get to it. Also way out of position for the equaliser. If some "consultation" with MM and TC doesn't sort him out quickly we need to be getting a contract in front of Bennett asap.

5-3-2 is meant to allow the wing-backs to push on because they have security of 3 CB's and potentially 2 CM's behind them to cover.

Nelson and Flint were covering the 2 furthest forward of Barnsley. Therefore, the issue was between Pack, McGuiness or Wintle.

Positionally, I think it was probably McGuiness for this incident but Pack is the most senior player and tactically was too forward in open play throughout the game so I'm saying he should have been more aware generally.

We can't call for youth to be included then hang them out to dry when they make an error - one of the senior players should be covering for them.

delmbox
07-08-21, 20:47
Forgot to mention - Giles looked dangerous whenever he could get the ball into the box, him linking up with Moore could get us a lot of goals this season,

Llandaff Blue
07-08-21, 21:42

He's 19 ffs, first full season as a senior pro as well cut him some slack.

JumpersforGoalposts
07-08-21, 21:42
5-3-2 is meant to allow the wing-backs to push on because they have security of 3 CB's and potentially 2 CM's behind them to cover.

Nelson and Flint were covering the 2 furthest forward of Barnsley. Therefore, the issue was between Pack, McGuiness or Wintle.

Positionally, I think it was probably McGuiness for this incident but Pack is the most senior player and tactically was too forward in open play throughout the game so I'm saying he should have been more aware generally.

We can't call for youth to be included then hang them out to dry when they make an error - one of the senior players should be covering for them.

Bagan was shocking, when he wasn't hoofing the ball into touch he was just passing it to a red shirt. His being out of position for their equaliser was just one of a constant series of errors today. Needs to improve sharpish.

Rjk
07-08-21, 21:45
Bagan was shocking, when he wasn't hoofing the ball into touch he was just passing it to a red shirt. His being out of position for their equaliser was just one of a constant series of errors today. Needs to improve sharpish.

They're not going to give you a contract Joe

Citizen's Nephew
07-08-21, 22:06
Agree totally with this. I'm ok with managers like McCarthy coming in to a club mid-season to instil much needed organisation and confidence, but to push on to the next phase with a clean slate is a different matter. It was great to be back but I have serious doubts about the coming season. The system seems king, with players fitting in to it (rather than the other way around). Some players will be more obvious picks than others, as a result. Oh to see some creativity and pace out there, oh to see a proper number 10 (Tomlin or Colwill), rather than more safety first backward/sideways passing and set-pieces being so important.

I agree. I burst of speed in midfield and someone to scare the sh*t out of defenders in free-kick scoring territory was the one signing that was screaming to be made on the basis Tomlin is unreliable.

Dave Blue
07-08-21, 22:16
In two minds about Bacuna. Yes he missed two gilt edged chances but he featured quite a lot and was at least noticeable.

Rjk
07-08-21, 22:18

xg shot map.

you can see the 2 big bacuna chances on there

Rjk
07-08-21, 22:20

from whoscored, average player positions and player ratings (inhave no idea how they come up with them)

Former Labour leader
07-08-21, 22:20
Until Colwill is fit I think we are stuck with Bacuna, who himself is not up to speed.
As you say, he got himself into position, but his finishing let him down. I think that will improve. Better had anyway.

delmbox
07-08-21, 22:31
They're not going to give you a contract Joe

:hehe: :hehe:

dembethewarrior
07-08-21, 22:49
Until Colwill is fit I think we are stuck with Bacuna, who himself is not up to speed.
As you say, he got himself into position, but his finishing let him down. I think that will improve. Better had anyway.

I know, why would we bother with Harris or Murphy or any other natural attacking player when we can play a utility man behind the striker.

Mickey square holes got that one wrong today. And if our 3 at the back is going to be 5 because the wing backs are told to play like fullbacks we may as well add another ayer further up the pitch and go to a 4 at the back

Llandaff Blue
07-08-21, 23:03
In two minds about Bacuna. Yes he missed two gilt edged chances but he featured quite a lot and was at least noticeable.

I think Murphy finishes one of those chances. Bacuna just isn't an attacking mid, he can't finish nor is he quick enough. He's fine played further back but no more second striker Bacuna for the love of god.

Michael Morris
07-08-21, 23:26
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">7⃣<br><br>Rest in peace, Peter.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CityAsOne?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CityAsOne</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/YouReds?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#YouReds</a> <a href="https://t.co/yqBn1y0AzE">pic.twitter.com/yqBn1y0AzE</a></p>&mdash; Barnsley FC (@BarnsleyFC) <a href="https://twitter.com/BarnsleyFC/status/1424010102177210368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 7, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Porth Pouncer
08-08-21, 06:16
I think the Bacuna experiment could work. He was given licence to roam and did give the defenders the run around at times. His lack of experience in that position led to him being offside too often.

However he needs to be fed by decent balls, not this aerial pinball rubbish. I’d play him there again against Sutton.

The Lone Gunman
08-08-21, 07:34
I think the Bacuna experiment could work.

Bacuna will be 30 later this month. If McCarthy is experimenting with his position at this stage of his career, it smacks of desperation.

blue lewj
08-08-21, 08:31
Their goal, while well taken, is a shocker to concede.

That is possibly the furthest out of position I've ever seen a full back without the team throwing players forward to get a late goal. He was a good 20, maybe 30 yards out of position. When the ball is being played by the Barnsley centre back he is almost ahead of the centre circle.

Rjk
08-08-21, 08:46
Their goal, while well taken, is a shocker to concede.

That is possibly the furthest out of position I've ever seen a full back without the team throwing players forward to get a late goal. He was a good 20, maybe 30 yards out of position. When the ball is being played by the Barnsley centre back he is almost ahead of the centre circle.

that's because he's not a full back, he's a wing back

blue lewj
08-08-21, 08:48
that's because he's not a full back, he's a wing back

Who is meant to be ahead of the centre circle when their centre half has the ball?
You do realise they have to defend too?

Watch it again. He is woefully out of position.

dembethewarrior
08-08-21, 09:22
I think the Bacuna experiment could work. He was given licence to roam and did give the defenders the run around at times. His lack of experience in that position led to him being offside too often.

However he needs to be fed by decent balls, not this aerial pinball rubbish. I’d play him there again against Sutton.

There are things, like anticipation, that can't be taught. I don't dislike Bacuna as a CM and he seems a decent person as well. But an attacking player he is not, nor never will be. All opinions of course.

dembethewarrior
08-08-21, 09:25
Who is meant to be ahead of the centre circle when their centre half has the ball?
You do realise they have to defend too?

Watch it again. He is woefully out of position.

Either we are paying with wing backs or we aren't. If we are they need to push up, and when they do somebody has to cover them.

blue lewj
08-08-21, 09:27
Either we are paying with wing backs or we aren't. If we are they need to push up, and when they do somebody has to cover them.

There is pushing up on the flank when we are attacking and there is being woefully out of position when the other team have slowed the game down at the back. This was the latter.

He is infield, almost in line with the centre circle when Barnsley have the ball. I don't care what style of wing back he is. He should not be that far away regardless of who is covering him.

dembethewarrior
08-08-21, 09:32
There is pushing up on the flank when we are attacking and there is being woefully out of position when the other team have slowed the game down at the back. This was the latter.

He is infield, almost in line with the centre circle when Barnsley have the ball. I don't care what style of wing back he is. He should not be that far away regardless of who is covering him.

Aye. OK.

You'll never see TAA Robertson and the like out of position. They all beam me up scotty back to their defensive positions after attacking.

We won't agree so let's leave it there.

blue lewj
08-08-21, 09:38
Aye. OK.

You'll never see TAA Robertson and the like out of position. They all beam me up scotty back to their defensive positions after attacking.

We won't agree so let's leave it there.

You're comparing Bagan and Robertson?

Yeah, similar players.....

blue lewj
08-08-21, 09:47
A diagonal ball from a centre half should not result in a winger running directly at and getting a shot on goal. If we don't sort that out then it is going to be a very long season.

Apparently for some messing about infield and being oblivious to the winger in acres of space is good wingback play.

life on mars
08-08-21, 09:54
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">7⃣<br><br>Rest in peace, Peter.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CityAsOne?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CityAsOne</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/YouReds?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#YouReds</a> <a href="https://t.co/yqBn1y0AzE">pic.twitter.com/yqBn1y0AzE</a></p>&mdash; Barnsley FC (@BarnsleyFC) <a href="https://twitter.com/BarnsleyFC/status/1424010102177210368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 7, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great picture Mike

dembethewarrior
08-08-21, 09:54

The positions they play, yes.

Like I said, we won't agree so why keep on, but you do anyway don't you :hehe:

LeningradCowboy
08-08-21, 09:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xULE9vHAYs

blue lewj
08-08-21, 09:59
The positions they play, yes.

Like I said, we won't agree so why keep on, but you do anyway don't you :hehe:

In tomorrows installment of Dembe compares random players, Marlon Pack and Pirlo...

life on mars
08-08-21, 10:04
Not a bad game thought we should have one easily with missed chances compared to them ,:

Giles has good quality .
Pack was excellent today he is so mercurial.
Collins looks a good robust Champinship player .
McGuinness had a strong debut .
Nelson, Flint looked strong.
Bacuna must be cursing his final touch as he had a good all round game outside of the misses.
Not seen replay of our disallowed goal I thought he'd just got back onside before scoring?.
Phillip a safe pair of hands again .

If Barnsley are going to be a threat (then so are we ) with Mozza, Moore, Colwill, Murphy, Tomlin ,Vaulks to come in

LeningradCowboy
08-08-21, 10:05
Some people are blaming Bagan for their goal, but isn't Collins the player out of position?

dembethewarrior
08-08-21, 10:07
In tomorrows installment of Dembe compares random players, Marlon Pack and Pirlo...

You're trying to be like JR now. Stop it, it doesn't suit you.

dembethewarrior
08-08-21, 10:07
Some people are blaming Bagan for their goal, but isn't Collins the player out of position?

:hehe: yes about 60 yards

blue lewj
08-08-21, 10:11
You're trying to be like JR now. Stop it, it doesn't suit you.

You're the one who started comparing footballers at different ends of the footballing spectrum.

Robertson and Bagan indeed.

Any chance you could post a link to a goal where Robertson is as far out of position as Bagan was yesterday to prove your comparison point?

blue lewj
08-08-21, 10:12

Collins?

Bagan was so far out of position Giles manages to get closer to the Barnsley winger before he shoots. That is Giles the winger getting closer than the apparently not out of position Bagan.

Hilts
08-08-21, 10:14
Im pretty sure if Robertson was out of position like that then Alison saves that shot comfortably.

Cracking save 1st half but Phillips should be saving that

blue lewj
08-08-21, 10:18
Im pretty sure if Robertson was out of position like that then Alison saves that shot comfortably.

Cracking save 1st half but Phillips should be saving that

Phillips should save it but doesn't.

He should not be getting a clear shot off though for the reasons given above. Somebody should at least be in with some chance of getting goal side. Very poor goal to concede.

If Bagan is dragged in field like that without any of the back three seemingly spotting the danger either then it is a worry.

LeningradCowboy
08-08-21, 10:20
Collins?

Bagan was so far out of position Giles manages to get closer to the Barnsley winger before he shoots. That is Giles the winger getting closer than the apparently not out of position Bagan.

It was their centre-back who scored. He started his run about 20 yards inside their half.

Bagan was marking his opposite wing-back (their number 7).

Giles is number 26 and got nowhere near the goal scorer. It was Collins who chased back.

blue lewj
08-08-21, 10:27
It was their centre-back who scored. He started his run about 20 yards inside their half.

Bagan was marking his opposite wing-back (their number 7).

Giles is number 26 and got nowhere near the goal scorer. It was Collins who chased back.

He took up the position of a winger. My mistake.
And it is Collins that I thought was Giles but it doesn't change me point.

A striker reacting to the movement of an opposition player down the wing more than a wing back on that side? Does that seem right to you?

I'm all for looking after your man but if he wants to go into the centre he is somebody else's man. Let him go. If Bagan does this he defends the goal better. He is out of position and should be alive to players, whatever their position, coming down his flank.

Rjk
08-08-21, 10:31

edit

Seabird
08-08-21, 10:36
I think the keeper has to take some of the blame for the goal, shouldn't have been beaten from a shot from there.

blue lewj
08-08-21, 10:38
edit

I'm not sure I agree on how high up the pitch he is.
Him being 5 yards inside the Barnsley half following his man and a good 15 yards ahead of our deepest defenders (as well as being so far infield) effectively makes up the Barnsley man's mind to make the run and also makes the ball played to him the obvious one. It creates acres of space. If Bagan let's the winger go for his wander, sits a little deeper and further to the sideline then it puts doubt in the head of the man making the run and isn't such an obvious ball. He might even cut it out if it is played.

I agree on the learning from the mistake though.
I can't think this won't be something obvious that they work on from the game video given the manner of the goal. As you say if he sees that situation unfold again and is more disciplined in holding a better position then that's all you can ask.

Citizen's Nephew
08-08-21, 11:15
Does anyone know what Bacuna's role was at Groningen where he scored most of his goals? He's scored 3 for us in 95 apparently but I honestly can't remember any of them. I think Mick's got this one wrong and it needs to stop or there'll be tears.

PontBlue
08-08-21, 11:32
Hopefully we'll start with more than 2 offensive minded players in future games and Bacuna should never play in that position ever again. He's a defensive midfielder and will never be an attack minded one.

However the blame lands squarely on McCarthy not Bacuna as he picks and sets up the team.

Rjk
08-08-21, 11:37
Does anyone know what Bacuna's role was at Groningen where he scored most of his goals? He's scored 3 for us in 95 apparently but I honestly can't remember any of them. I think Mick's got this one wrong and it needs to stop or there'll be tears.

it seems he's always been a bit of a utility player, even back to his time at Groningen.
they did play him as an attacking midfielder at times

City123
08-08-21, 11:57
There's a whole host of errors that led to that goal, just blaming Bagan is unfair imo. Yes, he's followed his man inside (probably too far), but had he kept his width then odds are people would complain at Bagan's man being given too much space in midfield. For some reason Bacuna had vacated the left flank which allowed such a huge run, hence Collins being the one chasing back. Pack, our experience sitting midfielder, decided to go on a mad rampage and was miles out of position (this seems to be a feature of our play, I don't really get why we send the slow midfielder to close down, but whatever), leaving an ocean of space behind him which McGuinness (I think) went to fill. Suddenly Barnsley have acres of space. Flint & Nelson, being the experienced defenders they are, probably should have shuffled across to fill the space but didn't. What was particularly infuriating is that Barnsley took an age to play the ball wide and half the Canton Stand were screaming for someone to fill the huge gap in our defence, but it just didn't happen. It was really poor by the whole team and probably indicative of a team who haven't properly practiced pressing as a team, they're all over the place.

On the other hand, it was very clever play from Barnsley to pull us onto them like that, create a gap and exploit it, but it was far too easy.

dembethewarrior
08-08-21, 12:43
There's a whole host of errors that led to that goal, just blaming Bagan is unfair imo. Yes, he's followed his man inside (probably too far), but had he kept his width then odds are people would complain at Bagan's man being given too much space in midfield. For some reason Bacuna had vacated the left flank which allowed such a huge run, hence Collins being the one chasing back. Pack, our experience sitting midfielder, decided to go on a mad rampage and was miles out of position (this seems to be a feature of our play, I don't really get why we send the slow midfielder to close down, but whatever), leaving an ocean of space behind him which McGuinness (I think) went to fill. Suddenly Barnsley have acres of space. Flint & Nelson, being the experienced defenders they are, probably should have shuffled across to fill the space but didn't. What was particularly infuriating is that Barnsley took an age to play the ball wide and half the Canton Stand were screaming for someone to fill the huge gap in our defence, but it just didn't happen. It was really poor by the whole team and probably indicative of a team who haven't properly practiced pressing as a team, they're all over the place.

On the other hand, it was very clever play from Barnsley to pull us onto them like that, create a gap and exploit it, but it was far too easy.

:thumbup:

NYCBlue
08-08-21, 12:43
Is the Leo 'fox in the box' Bacuna experiment now over?

I like Bacuna - but not as a right back or a second striker. He is a box-to-box midfielder.

I rate Bacuna too. As you say though, he's a midfielder. And quite a competent one at this level.

NYCBlue
08-08-21, 12:51
He's got to do better when he has the ball.

I thought he played very well. It's should imagine it's pretty hard to find a pass when everyone turns their back and runs away. No one is making themselves available. If one of our players wins the ball in midfield, it immediately gets lumped upfield into a channel. If we're lucky, there might be someone there. If we're very lucky, that player might be aware of what's coming. And if we're luckier still they might even get the ball.

dembethewarrior
08-08-21, 12:59
I thought he played very well. It's should imagine it's pretty hard to find a pass when everyone turns their back and runs away. No one is making themselves available. If one of our players wins the ball in midfield, it immediately gets lumped upfield into a channel. If we're lucky, there might be someone there. If we're very lucky, that player might be aware of what's coming. And if we're luckier still they might even get the ball.

Ralls found Bacuna with one pass yesterday. I just hate this hook it in the air malarkey before they even think to bring the ball down to control it. Its not that he hasn't got a pass, he doesn't know if he has yet as the ball never gets brought into his control to look for a pass, he just hooks it upfield. Saw it a number of times.

Remember going at Gunnar for doing the same against Derby in the promotion year, all it did was lose us the ball. It riles me.

NYCBlue
08-08-21, 13:04

As you say, a host of errors. But why the **** didn't Nelson try to make a play on that ball? It was definitely playable but he just stood there like a statue. For me, he is the biggest culprit.

Hilts
08-08-21, 16:33
Nah biggest culprit is the keeper.

Citizen's Nephew
08-08-21, 16:34
it seems he's always been a bit of a utility player, even back to his time at Groningen.
they did play him as an attacking midfielder at times Thanks! :thumbup:

Rjk
08-08-21, 16:39
As you say, a host of errors. But why the **** didn't Nelson try to make a play on that ball? It was definitely playable but he just stood there like a statue. For me, he is the biggest culprit.

looks like he thinks about going for it and then pulls away, as though he was worried about an OG

Tuerto
08-08-21, 16:47

I think that the easiest way to look at is that both Collins and Bagan were out of position. Bagan reacted to Collins getting caught ball watching and having zero awareness of what is going on around him. Bagan Should've probably called Collins and told him to get back in, although he doesn't because he's inexperienced and making Collins poor play his problem. Bagans's natural position for that play would probably be half way between the man Collins should've picked up and the player who made the run, albeit, a little deeper.