PDA

View Full Version : Our First Sunday Game

splott parker
21-08-21, 06:14
I’m sure that was due to be home to Millwall. A day like today, got absolutely soaked walking from town down Tudor St, only to find out by the end of Ninian Park Road that the game had been postponed, waterlogged pitch. No chance of that scenario today, I won’t be walking!!!!!

the other bob wilson
21-08-21, 07:46
I’m sure that was due to be home to Millwall. A day like today, got absolutely soaked walking from town down Tudor St, only to find out by the end of Ninian Park Road that the game had been postponed, waterlogged pitch. No chance of that scenario today, I won’t be walking!!!!!

I think you may mean another Sarf London team there. I’m 99 per cent sure that the Tony Villars match with Palace at the end of 73/74 was meant to be our first Sunday match. Games were shifted to Sundays around that time because of things like the three day week and, on the Millwall theme, there’s something in the back of my mind telling me that Brian Clark became the first player to score in a Football League match on a Sunday while he was with them.

Thinking about it a bit more, you’re not thinking of the game with Millwall which started, but got abandoned after about half an hour in the sixties are you? It’s the only home, or away, game we’ve played in to be abandoned involving City since I first watched us in 1963 I believe.

Tuerto
21-08-21, 07:53
I can remember a game being called off against Millwall. Me and the old man found out crossing Canton Bridge, heading towards the ground. I'm thinking anywhere between 82 and 85?

Cleve van Leef
21-08-21, 07:58
Was at the game in mid 60’s against Millwall torrential rain caused the game to be abandoned at half time 0-0. Got bloody soaked.

the other bob wilson
21-08-21, 08:02
I can remember a game being called off against Millwall. Me and the old man found out crossing Canton Bridge, heading towards the ground. I'm thinking anywhere between 82 and 85?

The only time we played Millwall at home between 82 and 85 was in our promotion season in82/83 when I remember us beating them 3-0 on a freezing cold night in January or February, so I’d say that it would have been a rearranged game. We got beat at home by Weymouth in the Second Round of the FA Cup, so the only reason it would have needed a new date because of that competition would be if Millwall had reached the Third or Fourth Round, therefore, there’s a good chance that the original game was called off because of the weather..

Just checked, Millwall were beaten by Slough in the First Round in the 82/83 FA Cup, so I think that’s the match you’re referring to.

splott parker
21-08-21, 09:57
I think you may mean another Sarf London team there. I’m 99 per cent sure that the Tony Villars match with Palace at the end of 73/74 was meant to be our first Sunday match. Games were shifted to Sundays around that time because of things like the three day week and, on the Millwall theme, there’s something in the back of my mind telling me that Brian Clark became the first player to score in a Football League match on a Sunday while he was with them.

Thinking about it a bit more, you’re not thinking of the game with Millwall which started, but got abandoned after about half an hour in the sixties are you? It’s the only home, or away, game we’ve played in to be abandoned involving City since I first watched us in 1963 I believe.

I was at the abandoned 1960s game and it must have been Palace that was the postponed 1970s game, was so wet the opposition must have washed over me.