PDA

View Full Version : Mehmet Dalman's extraordinary meeting with City supporter representatives yesterday.

the other bob wilson
24-10-21, 11:03
Vincent Tan responsible for style of play and Warnock went over his head with Sala signing.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Dorcus
24-10-21, 11:24
Vincent Tan responsible for style of play and Warnock went over his head with Sala signing.

Thanks Bob for posting that. Astonishing! We really are in deep shite and rudderless.

Carl Dale's Mole
24-10-21, 11:31
Wow, that’s quite the read! Thanks ToBW!

I think I’m a little shocked. No money in the summer as well? No renewal of contracts? Do we know who that is that’ll be leaving? And Tan gets to decide what kind of football we play?

Jesus Christ. We’re even more of a joke than I thought.

insider
24-10-21, 11:31
Is our debt to Tan?

The Lone Gunman
24-10-21, 11:35
Mehmet Dalman to exit stage left in the near future? That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Mr Soul '68
24-10-21, 11:36
Thanks Bob for posting that. Astonishing! We really are in deep shite and rudderless.

I notice the younger fans in the Canton End were singing 'Newport County' we're coming for you'. Having read Bob's posting it's more likely to be 'Wrexham, Wrexham' we're coming for you, then a few seasons later, 'Hereford United, we're coming for you'/ Sad to say, it really does make gloomy reading.

This is the most despondent I have felt since season 99/00 when we had managed to get out of the dungeon and into what is now League 1, only to get relegated at the end of the season and back to league 2. Everything seemed dire once Frankie Burrows got the sack and Billy Ayre continued in the same dismal fashion. Of course, 'Our Lord and Saviour' Sam Hammam took over in the summer of 2000. It really does feel as if we are plunging down to the level we were at before the Scamster came along. Or am I being unnaturally pessimistic this afternoon?

City123
24-10-21, 11:38
Wow, that’s quite the read! Thanks ToBW!

I think I’m a little shocked. No money in the summer as well? No renewal of contracts? Do we know who that is that’ll be leaving? And Tan gets to decide what kind of football we play?

Jesus Christ. We’re even more of a joke than I thought.
I think that means the following would be leaving: Joe Ralls, Sean Morrison, Marlon Pack, Aden Flint, Alex Smithies, Isaac Vassell, Will Vaulks, Josh Murphy. Leaving us with Phillips, Nelson, Bacuna, Harris, Sang, Bagan, Ng, McGuinness, Moore, Collins, Bowen, Evans and Colwill

We're f*cked.

fred keenor
24-10-21, 11:38

Looks like there may be a distancing from MD to VT and the current decision making.
Especially considering MD stated about the need for more quality in the side last July and this never happened.

City123
24-10-21, 11:39
I notice the younger fans in the Canton End were singing 'Newport County' we're coming for you'. Having read Bob's posting it's more likely to be 'Wrexham, Wrexham' we're coming for you, then a few seasons later, 'Hereford United, we're coming for you'/ Sad to say, it really does make gloomy reading.

This is the most despondent I have felt since season 99/00 when we had managed to get out of the dungeon and into what is now League 1, only to get relegated at the end of the season and back to league 2. Everything seemed dire once Frankie Burrows got the sack and Billy Ayre continued in the same dismal fashion. Of course, 'Our Lord and Saviour' Sam Hammam took over in the summer of 2000. It really does feel as if we are plunging down to the level we were at before the Scamster came along. Or am I being unnaturally pessimistic this afternoon?
"Barry Town United, we're coming for you"

Pedro de la Rosa
24-10-21, 11:46
I think that means the following would be leaving: Joe Ralls, Sean Morrison, Marlon Pack, Aden Flint, Alex Smithies, Isaac Vassell, Will Vaulks, Josh Murphy. Leaving us with Phillips, Nelson, Bacuna, Harris, Sang, Bagan, Ng, McGuinness, Moore, Collins, Bowen, Evans and Colwill

We're f*cked.

Does it say that we will not be giving any of them new deals? I just think he’s mentioning it that it’ll be a challenge. I’d be surprised if some of them weren’t offered new deals on reduced terms.

City123
24-10-21, 11:49
Does it say that we will not be giving any of them new deals? I just think he’s mentioning it that it’ll be a challenge. I’d be surprised if some of them weren’t offered new deals on reduced terms.
As would I, but this bit is concerning and I imagine TOBW knows more than me:
"Is there an admission in there that all of the senior players who are out of contract this summer will not be offered new deals?

The answer to that would appear to be yes"

Even we did offer them deals is there a guarantee they'd be accepted?

Nobody's Rep
24-10-21, 12:34

We're f*cked.

The only one on that list I would want to keep would be Ralls - all the others can go and still can't believe bacuna contract hasn't run out yet

Nobody's Rep
24-10-21, 12:35
The only one on that list I would want to keep would be Ralls - all the others can go and still can't believe bacuna contract hasn't run out yet
How exactly do the supporters at that meeting act as representatives of other supporters - or are they sharing theirs and their mates views?

NYCBlue
24-10-21, 12:37
Every time I read these little tidbits of insider information about Tan, he comes across more and more like Donald Trump. An incompetent baby, that needs praise and appeasement and has to be shielded from the truth. Having said that, MD comes across as someone that's not averse to bullshitting when he's under the cosh.

Also, the whole thing about players not having their contract renewed and no transfers coming in makes no sense. It basically guarantees relegation, which I'm sure doesn't fit in with Tan's "plans". Or Tan's "wishes" which is probably a more accurate term.

Enoch Mort
24-10-21, 12:49
How exactly do the supporters at that meeting act as representatives of other supporters - or are they sharing theirs and their mates views?

The note of the meeting was prepared by Supporters Trust reps for the benefit of Supporters Trust members who they represent. The text of the note of the meeting in the blog was taken from an email sent to all Trust Members. Any further comments in the blog are those of the author of the blog.

Grangenders
24-10-21, 12:50
If MD is not being paid for his role, what motivation is there for doing the role?

LeningradCowboy
24-10-21, 12:51
Dalman is a massive bullshitter. I wouldn't trust a single thing that he says.

Captain_Sensible
24-10-21, 12:51
If Dalman doesnt receive a salary, what's in it for him?

NYCBlue
24-10-21, 12:54
If MD is not being paid for his role, what motivation is there for doing the role?

I'm assuming he receives some form of monetary compensation that is able to be termed other than "salary".

IanD
24-10-21, 13:06

We're f*cked.

Plus the 3 Ws...Whyte, Wintle and Watters. The first two seem to be doing OK at their loan clubs. Watters....no idea about him. I presume he's still on our books until at least the end of the season.

Nobody's Rep
24-10-21, 13:22
The note of the meeting was prepared by Supporters Trust reps for the benefit of Supporters Trust members who they represent. The text of the note of the meeting in the blog was taken from an email sent to all Trust Members. Any further comments in the blog are those of the author of the blog.

Thanks but this implies that it is only for trust members which is fine I am happy for the trust to represent the views of the trust but this talks about supporters reps and this is wider than the trust?

The Hooded Claw
24-10-21, 13:31
God, Cardiff City is like a football soap opera!
It’s just never ending with our club.
I think we should all try and be a bit calm about this, as it’s Dalman talking.
What we really need is for Vincent Tan to come and talk to the fans - not a bland statement.
He’s the owner, after all.

Undercoverinwurzelland
24-10-21, 13:36
Plus the 3 Ws...Whyte, Wintle and Watters. The first two seem to be doing OK at their loan clubs. Watters....no idea about him. I presume he's still on our books until at least the end of the season.
I think Whyte's contact is up at the end of the season too, so that's another who'll almost certainly be leaving.

Enoch Mort
24-10-21, 13:42
Thanks but this implies that it is only for trust members which is fine I am happy for the trust to represent the views of the trust but this talks about supporters reps and this is wider than the trust?

The note the Trust prepared stated that reps from the Supporters Club and Disabled Supporters Group were also present so, no doubt, they will prepare their own notes of the meeting to circulate to their own members.

the other bob wilson
24-10-21, 14:01

The message I sent out to Trust members very early this morning makes clear who was there representing the Trust and I have complete trust in him - as a Trust member that’s all I’m interested in. I can remember these sort of discussions nearly ten years ago regarding meetings held over the rebrand and we don’t appear to have moved on one iota.

I should emphasise that the comments following the message are mine as a City supporting blog writer and have nothing to do with Keith or the Trust.

blue lewj
24-10-21, 14:04
Tan playing a very expensive game of Football Manager through his yes men.

It seems he has got bored of this particular game though.

If he thinks that bringing kids in for quality professionals is the way to go then he has learnt nothing from this season at all. Would he admit he was wrong with anything though?

ToTaL ITK
24-10-21, 14:07
Tan, Tan the relegation man

Nobody's Rep
24-10-21, 14:11
The message I sent out to Trust members very early this morning makes clear who was there representing the Trust and I have complete trust in him - as a Trust member that’s all I’m interested in. I can remember these sort of discussions nearly ten years ago regarding meetings held over the rebrand and we don’t appear to have moved on one iota.

I should emphasise that the comments following the message are mine as a City supporting blog writer and have nothing to do with Keith or the Trust.

Totally agree with your comments and not moved in one iota especially by the club.

The issue for me is not who's there as I don't care but let's be clear on who they are representing which you and others have done

Otherwise it can end up a bit like this board a bit "cliquey" 👍

Nobody's Rep
24-10-21, 14:11
The note the Trust prepared stated that reps from the Supporters Club and Disabled Supporters Group were also present so, no doubt, they will prepare their own notes of the meeting to circulate to their own members.

👍 Thanks helpful

the other bob wilson
24-10-21, 14:22
Totally agree with your comments and not moved in one iota especially by the club.

The issue for me is not who's there as I don't care but let's be clear on who they are representing which you and others have done

Otherwise it can end up a bit like this board a bit "cliquey" ��

Fair enough :thumbup:

stan butler
24-10-21, 14:42
Tan playing a very expensive game of Football Manager through his yes men.

It seems he has got bored of this particular game though.

If he thinks that bringing kids in for quality professionals is the way to go then he has learnt nothing from this season at all. Would he admit he was wrong with anything though?

We are cutting cloth due to debts and ffp though.
Debts run up by Tan himself so i'm not sticking up for him it's just the reason why we are cutting back in my opinion..

blue lewj
24-10-21, 14:47
We are cutting cloth due to debts and ffp though.
Debts run up by Tan himself so i'm not sticking up for him it's just the reason why we are cutting back in my opinion..

I think we can all see what is happening.

It seems irrelevant who we bring in as manager as Tan, according to Dalman, oversees every football decision so they can't do their job anyway.
That is bad enough without having to bring kids in from the under 23 level and make them competent Championship players overnight.

William Treseder
24-10-21, 16:21
Could be worse. We could be Man U fans 😂

Dorcus
24-10-21, 16:28

It seems irrelevant who we bring in as manager as Tan, according to Dalman, oversees every football decision so they can't do their job anyway.
That is bad enough without having to bring kids in from the under 23 level and make them competent Championship players overnight.

The words "nail and head" spring to mind. Someone mentioned "meddling'; it's far worse than that, it's dictatorship.

gabbsthenewt
24-10-21, 16:30

Does that mean the 5 CBs were Tan's idea?

blue lewj
24-10-21, 16:30
The words "nail and head" spring to mind. Someone mentioned "meddling'; it's far worse than that, it's dictatorship.

Meddling for me is asking questions from time to time and trying to influence the manager.

Telephone calls after most games and Tan deciding our playing style and not the manager. That is ridiculous.
It seems we haven't moved on from the days of "why isn't David Marshall scoring more goals?"

blue lewj
24-10-21, 16:32
Does that mean the 5 CBs were Tan's idea?

If he has the final say on things as hands on as playing style then you'd say it was Tan.

He would at least have made sure it didn't happen again.

It all makes sense now. Man with very little football knowledge tries to stop goals by plugging more centre backs in.
Like a bloke using sand bags before an impending flood.

rich munn
24-10-21, 16:39
:ayatollah:

A Quiet Monkfish
24-10-21, 16:42

I just wonder how many of the other 24 Championship clubs are in deep financial shite. Quite a few I should imagine.

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
24-10-21, 16:51
10 months ago we signed a 4th division striker for £1M who barely played and was sent out on loan. This was in the middle of the pandemic with no-one going to games. Whose idea was that? If it was Tan and he gets a say in footballing matters wouldn't he expect to see the lad playing? Would he be happy that player was sent out on loan?

Also, if Choo and Dalman had okayed Sala then would Tan's input have been needed?

Does Tan have any idea how teams play below first team level? Wouldn't he want them to play the long ball game too?

Dalman answers a question and three more spring up afterwards.

Dorcus
24-10-21, 16:53
I just wonder how many of the other 24 Championship clubs are in deep financial shite. Quite a few I should imagine.

Maybe so but equally rudderless and constrained by the whims of a dictator? Not conspicuously that many.

Divine Wright
24-10-21, 17:36
Last time I checked "overbearing" was a negative character adjective.

Also, last time I checked " a lack of knowledge and experience in the industry" was a bad thing for anyone wishing to work in said industry.

Shouldn't "fit and proper" assessments also consider how much knowledge any potential owner has of the industry and limitations be put on the owners involvement according to how much knowledge she or he has ? There is more than one way to run a club into the ground. Mismanagement of the coaching staff and team are potentially as dangerous as financial mismanagement.

People like VT should be made to employ someone who takes care of football matters.

This guy is a loon...... and for all the promises of leaving the club in a better position, I'm not seeing it, and we've had twelve or so years of this guy now.

billy.ronson
24-10-21, 21:57
Anyone know how much is owed to Tan now ? I appreciate that COVID has hit his business badly but wasn’t he going to clear the debt by now ?

Father Dougal
24-10-21, 22:11
Meddling for me is asking questions from time to time and trying to influence the manager.

Telephone calls after most games and Tan deciding our playing style and not the manager. That is ridiculous.
It seems we haven't moved on from the days of "why isn't David Marshall scoring more goals?"

Come on are people still talking about that comment? Malky and his men played the media far far better than tan at the time. I don't believe for a second tans beef with malky was genuinely that our goalkeeper wasn't scoring enough goals.

Father Dougal
24-10-21, 22:20
I think the big question is why have dalman and choo set tan like up like they did yesterday? What's in it for them? What's in it for tan? I'm struggling to see who gains from what they did yesterday?

Whether they meant it or not the only message taken away is dalman, choo and even the manager is irrelevant at the club and everything is down to Vincent tan. Style of play, picking the manager, signings, absolutely everything. To choose to announce this when the club is on the worst run it's in entire history (therefore to send any abuse towards tan) seems odd to me and I can't work out who is intended to gain from it?

My personal opinion is tan has long ago lost interest in Cardiff city and he doesn't actually care. He doesn't care what anyone says about him and I don't believe he is anywhere near as involved as people believe he is- or as dalman and choo want everyone to believe he is.

Rjk
24-10-21, 22:22
are people taking a comment that seemed to be about tan being personally involved in a decision as large as sacking the manager, to mean that he made McCarthy pick 5 CBS and basically is forcing long ball upon us ?

NYCBlue
24-10-21, 22:34
There's no way that Tan chooses tactics and or teams. If he said he liked a "direct style" you could play tippy-tappy, tell him was direct and he wouldn't even know the difference. He's obviously a fan of what Man U did in the nineties and noughts. They had a marauding style, plenty of goals plenty of attacking play, they moved the ball with speed and purpose. You could say it was direct I suppose. But it's a million miles from what we have been doing of late. And that has nothing to do with quality. MM's team is not a lesser version of Ferguson's. Tan wouldn't even know that anyway. He just knows that Man U scored a lot of goals and won a lot of games. All this talk of Tan being involved in football decisions is bollocks.

jon1959
24-10-21, 22:37
are people taking a comment that seemed to be about tan being personally involved in a decision as large as sacking the manager, to mean that he made McCarthy pick 5 CBS and basically is forcing long ball upon us ?

Some are.

I'm sure Tan gives his opinion on all sorts of things in his phone calls with the manager or with Dalman or Choo - including throw away comments about playing style. He obviously has the final say on key appointments and the recruitment strategy (buy oven ready or grow your own!) and may make some bad calls because he doesn't understand the consequences of his decisions.

But Dalman's comments today sound like simple deflection - 'don't blame me, I'm just the messenger' even if he does state that 80% of the club's big challenges are sitting on his desk. Whether Tan takes that as a straight statement of fact that he is the final decision maker, or a disloyal attempt to blame the owner for the worst run in club history, we will find out in time.

Father Dougal
24-10-21, 22:57
Some are.

I'm sure Tan gives his opinion on all sorts of things in his phone calls with the manager or with Dalman or Choo - including throw away comments about playing style. He obviously has the final say on key appointments and the recruitment strategy (buy oven ready or grow your own!) and may make some bad calls because he doesn't understand the consequences of his decisions.

But Dalman's comments today sound like simple deflection - 'don't blame me, I'm just the messenger' even if he does state that 80% of the club's big challenges are sitting on his desk. Whether Tan takes that as a straight statement of fact that he is the final decision maker, or a disloyal attempt to blame the owner for the worst run in club history, we will find out in time.

Yes. I reckon tan has basically lost any interest. As has dalman as yesterday seemed his fairwell meeting with the fans. I doubt we will be seeing him again and would guess he will be gone anytime now.

I almost wish the comments about tan were true as that would suggest he still gave a sh¡t. I'm astonished how many people seem to have fallen for what dalman was saying yesterday and taken it as gospel rather than trying to work out why the comments were made at all, and also why yesterday with the club on its worst run in its history was deemed the appropriate time to make them.......

The Lone Gunman
24-10-21, 23:14
My personal opinion is tan has long ago lost interest in Cardiff city and he doesn't actually care. He doesn't care what anyone says about him and I don't believe he is anywhere near as involved as people believe he is- or as dalman and choo want everyone to believe he is.

Given all you know about him, you seriously believe that Vincent Tan pours millions of pounds into a business he's lost interest in and has little involvement with?

Incredible.

Father Dougal
24-10-21, 23:16
Thinking back to how tan behaved when malky was manager. He was clearly heavily involved then. Maybe too much so. Probably too much so. However he was always at games home and away and was often in the media etc..... He seemed like someone who cared. Even if he did more harm than good I don't think anyone could say he wasn't interested.

However recently, and forget what dalman said yesterday, do any of you really believe tan is keeping a close eye on all this at the club? If he was he would surely be absolutely furious with absolutely everything at the club and would be here in person kicking doors down. Where is he though?

It's a nice story that tan is dictating the style of play, tactics and signings from Malaysia but surely in reality the more likely scenario is he has just lost interest?

Father Dougal
24-10-21, 23:18
Given all you know about him, you seriously believe that Vincent Tan pours millions of pounds into a business he's lost interest in and has little involvement with?

Incredible.

He knows its probably not in his interests for the club to go bust but apart from that...... If we could come 20th on the cheap then I reckon he would be delighted at that yes.

Isn't it the case the only money he is pouring in is the minimum to keep it just about alive?

The Lone Gunman
24-10-21, 23:26
He knows its probably not in his interests for the club to go bust but apart from that...... If we could come 20th on the cheap then I reckon he would be delighted at that yes.

Why would an owner who is paying millions into a football club be 'delighted' with finishing 20th in the Championship? Where's the logic in that suggestion?

Father Dougal
24-10-21, 23:32
Why would an owner who is paying millions into a football club be 'delighted' with finishing 20th in the Championship? Where's the logic in that suggestion?

Because the only money he is putting in is to keep the club alive from the sounds of it. Of course he would rather the gamble came off and we got promoted again but it seems we would only progress with ridiculous luck.

There seems no plan for the club to progress that I can see? The actions (or inactions) of tan/the club suggest staying alive is the main aim and staying up will be a nice bonus? What evidence is there to suggest the plan is any other than that?

The Lone Gunman
24-10-21, 23:42
There seems no plan for the club to progress that I can see? The actions (or inactions) of tan/the club suggest staying alive is the main aim and staying up will be a nice bonus? What evidence is there to suggest the plan is any other than that?

Who said anything about a plan? I haven't suggested there is any kind of genuine strategy in place at the club. I'm merely disputing your claims that Vincent Tan has completely lost interest and has no involvement in the club's activities. I think you're well wide of the mark.

A couple of days ago, Mick McCarthy said the following when asked if he'd spoken to Vincent Tan recently: "I've had two or three conversations with Vincent, yes, but you'll appreciate that, the fact that I've had them, I'm not going to tell you what was said."

I don't believe Messrs Dalman and Choo have a mandate to make any significant decisions regarding the club's operations. I believe anything and everything of any note goes through the owner. And I believe that's been the case for many years.

gabbsthenewt
24-10-21, 23:51
Thinking back to how tan behaved when malky was manager. He was clearly heavily involved then. Maybe too much so. Probably too much so. However he was always at games home and away and was often in the media etc..... He seemed like someone who cared. Even if he did more harm than good I don't think anyone could say he wasn't interested.

However recently, and forget what dalman said yesterday, do any of you really believe tan is keeping a close eye on all this at the club? If he was he would surely be absolutely furious with absolutely everything at the club and would be here in person kicking doors down. Where is he though?

It's a nice story that tan is dictating the style of play, tactics and signings from Malaysia but surely in reality the more likely scenario is he has just lost interest?

Did you miss him making plain that if we wanted his best interest we needed to be the dragons playing in red? This is not recent and to suggest he has washed his hands of us in the past few weeks misses that the intensity of involvement curtailed a long long time ago.

I have very little doubts Tan would point anyone maintaining he has no interest in the club to the name above on the door (so to speak) and who is paying to keep us afloat.

Optimistic Nick
24-10-21, 23:56
A minor point but I wonder how these board meetings are conducted and where VT is located for them. I wonder if the club might possibly be resident in Malaysia for tax purposes.

Hardly the most pressing matter here given it makes bugger-all profit anyway and is presumably worth very little, but the bit about the board being dominated by a non-resident jarred when I read it.

gabbsthenewt
25-10-21, 00:01
Because the only money he is putting in is to keep the club alive from the sounds of it. Of course he would rather the gamble came off and we got promoted again but it seems we would only progress with ridiculous luck.

I think your expectations of progress are rather lofty. Macroeconomically the world is an absolute scare right now. Tan isn't Sheik Mansour and I'm very sorry he isn't but to just talk about the money he is putting in as being minimal/as if it were little to be thankful for is very narrow minded. The club's financial statements lay out the goal and progress as at time of publishing to be to get back in the Premiership. Things have progressed on from there, it is evident that our playing and coaching staff is not as strong as had been hoped in comparison to the rest of the league and just to stay in the league for now would indeed to be the main aim. Don't worry yourself about the risk of staying alive - I don't believe for a moment that is the concern worrying the board currently for all the drama being made.

You have watched the football club this weekend wake up and pronounce they will need to look to refinance - that is also mentioned in the last set of accounts as a potential outcome should one of a few forecasted scenarios occur.

Let it dawn and readjust your own expectations accordingly as to what would be a good season for us.

gabbsthenewt
25-10-21, 00:19
A minor point but I wonder how these board meetings are conducted and where VT is located for them. I wonder if the club might possibly be resident in Malaysia for tax purposes.

Hardly the most pressing matter here given it makes bugger-all profit anyway and is presumably worth very little, but the bit about the board being dominated by a non-resident jarred when I read it.

No problem, virtual board meetings are permitted & the majority of members are present in UK.

Optimistic Nick
25-10-21, 01:05
No problem, virtual board meetings are permitted & the majority of members are present in UK.

Not all countries see it that way and board meetings may not be the test if the others are doing bugger-all in them. I'm not saying it's definitely a problem, but having hte rest of the board members saying "it's down to him over there" is unhelpful. I've seen this sort of thing cause issues.

Temujin
25-10-21, 02:19
This thread is massively depressing.

How we have let it get to this stage is beyond me.

the other bob wilson
25-10-21, 06:12
I would say to those who just write off what Dalman says as lies that the time to be sure about what he says is still a while away. As I mentioned in my reaction to the statement issued by the Trust, we've seen a situation where the three most powerful people at the club on the non playing side (Tan, Dalman and Choo) have very much sang from the same hymn sheet over a period of years, now we have one of them, apparently with the backing of another, talking in a meeting with fans about at least three areas where he was in disagreement with the owner. Unless or until the owner, or someone representing him, comes back with a different version of events, there seems little point in speculating about who is right because, if there is no response from Vincent Tan, the inference would be that everything that Mehmet Dalman said about the control the owner exerts over the club, including who chooses the playing style, is fundamentally true and he doesn't have a problem with it.

lisvaneblue
25-10-21, 06:32

He didn't say he wasn't paid by the Club, after all he is a director. He said he wasn't paid for his position as Chairman.

A quick browse on the Companies House website shows both Ken Choo and Mehmet Dalman are directors of several 'high end' car sales businesses. I believe these are ultimately owned by VT.

Mehmet, who lives in Monaco, is also a director of some finance businesses.

In the past he had ambitions to own a football club and maybe the current situation will give him his chance to make a move for CCFC. Whatever, he seems keen to show that he and VT are not singing from the same hymn sheet.

UNDERHILL1927
25-10-21, 06:35
Tan needs to come out, explain the "why" behind what the club is doing and be more transparent. That would answer a lot of people's questions and stop all the back and forth bickering on here (at least for 24 hours or so).

The time for him to be visible and lead the club forward isn't when we're in the Prem and he's standing there with his ridiculous red shirt, it's now in times of trouble. We've seen nothing from him.

gabbsthenewt
25-10-21, 06:46
Not all countries see it that way and board meetings may not be the test if the others are doing bugger-all in them. I'm not saying it's definitely a problem, but having hte rest of the board members saying "it's down to him over there" is unhelpful. I've seen this sort of thing cause issues.

You can of course screw yourselves by not conducting and representing the management and control the right way to the tax authorities. Malaysia deems an entity resident - among other things - should so much as one board meeting be made in Malaysia. Of course it isn't decided upon once and never returned to - anything concrete that evidenced that the only person executing true management and control over the club was Vincent Tan wouldn't be helpful but as for wondering the residency status as it stands I would note some people don't wonder and I'm pleading the 5th as to my current employer! :hehe:

Rjk
25-10-21, 07:52
I would say to those who just write off what Dalman says as lies that the time to be sure about what he says is still a while away. As I mentioned in my reaction to the statement issued by the Trust, we've seen a situation where the three most powerful people at the club on the non playing side (Tan, Dalman and Choo) have very much sang from the same hymn sheet over a period of years, now we have one of them, apparently with the backing of another, talking in a meeting with fans about at least three areas where he was in disagreement with the owner. Unless or until the owner, or someone representing him, comes back with a different version of events, there seems little point in speculating about who is right because, if there is no response from Vincent Tan, the inference would be that everything that Mehmet Dalman said about the control the owner exerts over the club, including who chooses the playing style, is fundamentally true and he doesn't have a problem with it.

I suppose some of the comments can be interpreted in a couple of different ways.
that tan has to "rubber stamp" every football decision including the playing style could mean anything from the board telling him we've hired another long ball manager and him saying ok, to him instructing the board not to appoint another inexperienced manager after we were badly burned with Trollope, to him calling up Mick McCarthy and screaming down the phone for him to play more centre backs or he'll be managing the FK Sarajevo under 11s team.

Cardiff Ultra
25-10-21, 07:55
Some are.

This pretty much sums up my view of what Dalman had to say. It felt like he chucked a few hand grenades in there to shift the blame on to Tan.

Most fans would read the stuff about finances (comments which were published by the BBC BTW) and accept it, even if grudgingly. Tans poured millions into a loss making club to keep it afloat and we've just come off the back of a pandemic, which reduced the clubs primary revenue stream to zero for an entire season. Also most fans would be aware that Tans other business interests are in leisure so its a fair bet he's taken a bath on them during the last 18 months as well.

Then however Dalman goes off piste with comments on the playing side of things. His comments that he wants a director of football but had been stopped by Tan are totally disingenuous because he himself had said in the past that we don't need one.

As for the comments about Tan insisting on a direct style of play, I'm a sorry but that's total bollocks. Was Solskjaer a long ball manager, or Harris? Also its difficult to imagine a manager less committed to direct football than Trollope. Of all the managers Tans appointed only Malky, Warnock and Mccarthy played that style of football and of those, the last two were brought in primarily as fire fighters at a time when the club was sliding down the table.

I'm not for one minute saying that Tan hasn't made mistakes. Even leaving aside the rebrand the lack of continuity on the non-playing side and poor managerial appointments sit squarely at his door. On the other hand if he is to leave in the near future, I suspect in time we might look back on his time and the club and reflect that on the whole it was pretty successful.

Enoch Mort
25-10-21, 07:58
When I heard that Dalman and Choo were opposed to the transfer of Sala and that Warnock had gone behind their backs to persuade Tan directly to sign him, the film “Sliding Doors” came to mind. Did anyone else think that ?

the other bob wilson
25-10-21, 08:56
This pretty much sums up my view of what Dalman had to say. It felt like he chucked a few hand grenades in there to shift the blame on to Tan.

Most fans would read the stuff about finances (comments which were published by the BBC BTW) and accept it, even if grudgingly. Tans poured millions into a loss making club to keep it afloat and we've just come off the back of a pandemic, which reduced the clubs primary revenue stream to zero for an entire season. Also most fans would be aware that Tans other business interests are in leisure so its a fair bet he's taken a bath on them during the last 18 months as well.

Then however Dalman goes off piste with comments on the playing side of things. His comments that he wants a director of football but had been stopped by Tan are totally disingenuous because he himself had said in the past that we don't need one.

As for the comments about Tan insisting on a direct style of play, I'm a sorry but that's total bollocks. Was Solskjaer a long ball manager, or Harris? Also its difficult to imagine a manager less committed to direct football than Trollope. Of all the managers Tans appointed only Malky, Warnock and Mccarthy played that style of football and of those, the last two were brought in primarily as fire fighters at a time when the club was sliding down the table.

I'm not for one minute saying that Tan hasn't made mistakes. Even leaving aside the rebrand the lack of continuity on the non-playing side and poor managerial appointments sit squarely at his door. On the other hand if he is to leave in the near future, I suspect in time we might look back on his time and the club and reflect that on the whole it was pretty successful.

Regarding style of play, you say it’s “total bollocks” that Tan insists on direct style of play, but the word used in the Trust e-mail is favours which is a bit different from that. Nevertheless, although I accept that Ole sides never played the sort of hoofball seen under other Tan choices, it’s quite funny to see Manchester United fans now repeating the very same things City fans used to say about him - seven years after he left us, I still have no clue what the plan was under Ole and I’d say his appointment was, in the main, down to his Manchester United connections.

You also seem to have forgotten about Russell Slade who I’d say definitely fitted the direct description and I must disagree with you about Neil Harris - he talked about trying to get us to play more football, but gave up on that in the end and I think it’s safe to say that Millwall fans would, by and large, definitely describe his sides as direct..

Therefore, I’d say that five out of seven, including the last three he has appointed, of the managerial appointments under Vincent Tan’s watch favoured direct football and of the two that didn’t, one lasted about.two months of actual playing time and the other about five and a half, so, being generous, you could say that City have had managers who didn’t want to play direct football for just one of the seasons Vincent Tan has been here for.

None of this proves our owner insists on the team playing direct football, but I’d say it definitely backs the notion that he favours it.

goats
25-10-21, 09:00
This thread is massively depressing.

How we have let it get to this stage is beyond me.

It sure is…just goes to show how a wealthy owner means nothing if they are clueless. 10 or 20 yrs ago I’d be gutted about our current plight but watching ccfc isn’t a big part of my life anymore….gutted for those that still go all the time after all the shit they’ve had to endure. Club is doomed

blue lewj
25-10-21, 09:15
How do these meetings happen?
Are questions asked and then Dalman answers the question and move straight to the next?

I ask because there seems no push back from those in attendance on some of his answers being totally different to even the things he said in last meeting.

Dalman was said to have said previously that we do not need a DOF with suggestions that he might have even got his back up at the suggestion that we needed one.
Now he seems to suggest he is in favour of wanting a DOF but those above do not.
What changed? That is quite some change of opinion from MD.

I'm not sure if people don't want to upset the apple cart, don't want to risk not being invited back to these meetings or whatever but that above is a glaring one and there are a few more.
Maybe a follow up meeting with questions from the members of the represented groups could be something that is suggested. As it is we won't know why he has changed his mind on this and won't for some time. That is if it is even discussed at the next one.

Hilts
25-10-21, 09:29

Did he actually say Tan instructs the manager to play direct football.

Did he actually say that NONE of the out of contract players would not be offered new deals.

Also to confirm he will continue to financially back us and intends to leave us in a better position than when he left.

Enoch Mort
25-10-21, 09:43
How do these meetings happen?
Are questions asked and then Dalman answers the question and move straight to the next?

I ask because there seems no push back from those in attendance on some of his answers being totally different to even the things he said in last meeting.

Dalman was said to have said previously that we do not need a DOF with suggestions that he might have even got his back up at the suggestion that we needed one.
Now he seems to suggest he is in favour of wanting a DOF but those above do not.
What changed? That is quite some change of opinion from MD.

I'm not sure if people don't want to upset the apple cart, don't want to risk not being invited back to these meetings or whatever but that above is a glaring one and there are a few more.
Maybe a follow up meeting with questions from the members of the represented groups could be something that is suggested. As it is we won't know why he has changed his mind on this and won't for some time. That is if it is even discussed at the next one.

The meeting was arranged by summons at short notice. Meetings like this with Mehmet Dalman tend to be ad hoc. I think the last one was via Zoom last January. There was no agenda. The meeting commenced at 11.00 am and with a 12.30 kick off was limited to 45 minutes. The meeting was conducted by MD. With the current situation on the pitch, the future of the manager, how VT runs the club plus the 3 legal cases against the club and the ongoing case in Cardiff at the moment 45 minutes was hardly sufficient for the reps to absorb let alone kick back on some of the significant info that was being relayed. No time for in depth discussion. Having said that there is no reason why the Supporters Trust, Supporters Club and other reps should not ask for a follow up meeting although I imagine that MD and KC will now be fully tied up on permanently replacing MM

blue lewj
25-10-21, 10:19
The meeting was arranged by summons at short notice. Meetings like this with Mehmet Dalman tend to be ad hoc. I think the last one was via Zoom last January. There was no agenda. The meeting commenced at 11.00 am and with a 12.30 kick off was limited to 45 minutes. The meeting was conducted by MD. With the current situation on the pitch, the future of the manager, how VT runs the club plus the 3 legal cases against the club and the ongoing case in Cardiff at the moment 45 minutes was hardly sufficient for the reps to absorb let alone kick back on some of the significant info that was being relayed. No time for in depth discussion. Having said that there is no reason why the Supporters Trust, Supporters Club and other reps should not ask for a follow up meeting although I imagine that MD and KC will now be fully tied up on permanently replacing MM

That's fair enough and a bit more understandable if it was to be condensed into 45 minutes.

Maybe that benefits MD. I don't know. Just seems some striking things where he has almost gone full circle went unchallenged but the time constraints go some way to explaining that one.

goats
25-10-21, 10:33

Is Dalman just trying that age old trick trying to make us grateful for the (abject failure) we currently have from him and Tan?
Please don’t leave us bla bla bla…..honestly, it’s so obvious.

blue lewj
25-10-21, 10:36
Is Dalman just trying that age old trick trying to make us grateful for the (abject failure) we currently have from him and Tan?

It certainly seems that way with him underlining that despite all that is going wrong at the club and has in the past he likes to add that VT is funding us out of his own pocket.

It is quite a bizarre meeting in quite a few ways. The timing of it, the rushed nature of it and mostly the content with washing his hands of some things, putting it on VT and some of the other things said.

Dorcus
25-10-21, 10:51
Regarding style of play, you say it’s “total bollocks” that Tan insists on direct style of play, but the word used in the Trust e-mail is favours which is a bit different from that. Nevertheless, although I accept that Ole sides never played the sort of hoofball seen under other Tan choices, it’s quite funny to see Manchester United fans now repeating the very same things City fans used to say about him - seven years after he left us, I still have no clue what the plan was under Ole and I’d say his appointment was, in the main, down to his Manchester United connections.

You also seem to have forgotten about Russell Slade who I’d say definitely fitted the direct description and I must disagree with you about Neil Harris - he talked about trying to get us to play more football, but gave up on that in the end and I think it’s safe to say that Millwall fans would, by and large, definitely describe his sides as direct..

Therefore, I’d say that five out of seven, including the last three he has appointed, of the managerial appointments under Vincent Tan’s watch favoured direct football and of the two that didn’t, one lasted about.two months of actual playing time and the other about five and a half, so, being generous, you could say that City have had managers who didn’t want to play direct football for just one of the seasons Vincent Tan has been here for.

None of this proves our owner insists on the team playing direct football, but I’d say it definitely backs the notion that he favours it.

I'm replying to your post here Bob largely because I agree with every word you say and I think it disappointing some people prefer to scrape around desperately searching for anything which will.vindicate their faith in Tan. Surely that boat sailed long ago.

However the other reason is to tap up your powers of recollection and also someone like TLG might be able to help with this.

I might be wrong how I remember the way things played out but back in the heady days of peak rebrand with Tan promising a golden dawn of riches.

Tan said he would back Malky Mackay financially in our first promotion year and Malky duly spent money on the squad. However due to the fact we had no Premier quality players in the squad at the time and despite the fact we had a number of top end Championship players, we had an awful big task to get up to speed. Our football at the time was based on being tight at the back and scoring from set pieces.

Although Malky didn't spend a fortune Tan fell out with him and I seem to remember the bone of contention was that Malky and Moody had abused Tans latitude and had massively overspent the transfer budget. The issues with the racist texts etc became an issue later on.

What I'm a little hazy about is that I seem to remember Tan's stance being that Malky had been too free with a budget of £40 million which was intended for not only transfer fees but players' wages too!!! Even though this was some 8-9 years ago an impossible constraint given our massive need to strengthen.

I highlight this episode because if it is accurate then it shows Tan's lack of knowledge and also how his plan was to invest the minimum for maximum gain.

Hilts
25-10-21, 10:52
The outcome of this meeting isnt great.

Weve now got a section of our fans believing Tan is choosing tactics and none of our out of contract players will be offered new deals.

Tan really should respond to this.

The Hooded Claw
25-10-21, 10:55
Maybe the ‘plan’ this season was that in the current financial climate, that we would just try and consolidate with a very reduced squad, get to the end of the season, sort out who’s staying from the ones whose contracts are up and push on from there.
It was probably hoped that the pandemic would be easing off, which is still an unknown in some ways.
Things obviously haven’t panned out the way they’d hoped, but my question is surely the club prepares for all eventualities in its financial planning - including the need to change the manager during the season? Dalman talks about Risk Management, which is all part of looking at different scenarios.
As usual, we’ll just have to wait and see.

stan butler
25-10-21, 11:02
Maybe the ‘plan’ this season was that in the current financial climate, that we would just try and consolidate with a very reduced squad, get to the end of the season, sort out who’s staying from the ones whose contracts are up and push on from there.
It was probably hoped that the pandemic would be easing off, which is still an unknown in some ways.
Things obviously haven’t panned out the way they’d hoped, but my question is surely the club prepares for all eventualities in its financial planning - including the need to change the manager during the season? Dalman talks about Risk Management, which is all part of looking at different scenarios.
As usual, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Thats near to what my view of the situation is.
I'm hoping it's a season of cutting costs and clearing the dead wood ie players on high wages or just not good enough then starting a fresh build of the squad..
It's just a case of wait and see

blue lewj
25-10-21, 11:07
If people question how much an owner/owners can be so hands on and dismiss any suggestion as complete bollocks I would suggest watching The Four Year Plan on Amazon Prime.

Some of it was downright crazy. Sending people from the stand to the dugout to make an immediate substitution, no questions asked 😄

the other bob wilson
25-10-21, 11:22

It’s now about eleven and a half years since there was confirmation that Vincent Tan was formally confirmed as a benefactor of the club and when you apply his leaving us in a better state than when he arrived test, you have to say at the moment that he is failing.

Virtually the first thing he did when he became involved with City was to pay the HMRC bill was threatening the existence of the club during much of the 09/10 season, so, although we appear to be struggling as badly on the financial side as we have done in the Tan era, it’s not as bad as it was under the latter days of Peter Ridsdale.

Despite the problems off the pitch, the 09/10 maintained a promotion challenge throughout the season, eventually finishing fourth to reach the Play Offs and that is a Championship position that has only been bettered in our two promotion seasons during the Tan era. So, while there have been times when it can be said that we were more successful than in 09/10, it’s far more debatable overall and I’d argue that you have to grade it as was - certainly, with two club worst ever records having been set on the weekend, there are can be no argument whatsoever that we are worse off now than when Vincent Tan arrived.

When you consider the other things which are measurable, the picture isn’t great either. Vincent Tan has delivered when it comes to increasing the capacity of the ground, but we’re still awaiting the club owned training centre that was being talked about in 2012 and, although progress has been made on the debt to equity front, it’s not at the stage that was being promised a few years ago. Gates are below 09/10 levels although the fact that was the first season that we played in the new ground needs to be borne in mind.

Quality of football is something that has become increasingly important to me as the Tan years have gone by and it’s absolutely no contest there - we weren’t always great to watch in 09/10, but there were quite a few times when we certainly were, whereas I’m struggling to remember the last game I saw us play when we were entertaining as I define that word.

Add in that we’ve spent a huge amount of money by our standards in the process and the totally pointless rebrand and I’d definitely say that, particularly at the moment, Vincent Tan is failing his own test.

fred keenor
25-10-21, 11:32

Jalil Rasheed
@jalilword
Big weekend with some difficult decisions made. Not a nice situation to be in. Hopefully the start of better things to come, with the limited resources we have. Lots of work being undertaken behind the scenes. Important that some affairs are held behind closed doors too.

VT CEO Jalil, Comments about some things should stay behind closed doors.

Wheres that revolving door

the other bob wilson
25-10-21, 11:43
I'm replying to your post here Bob largely because I agree with every word you say and I think it disappointing some people prefer to scrape around desperately searching for anything which will.vindicate their faith in Tan. Surely that boat sailed long ago.

However the other reason is to tap up your powers of recollection and also someone like TLG might be able to help with this.

I might be wrong how I remember the way things played out but back in the heady days of peak rebrand with Tan promising a golden dawn of riches.

Tan said he would back Malky Mackay financially in our first promotion year and Malky duly spent money on the squad. However due to the fact we had no Premier quality players in the squad at the time and despite the fact we had a number of top end Championship players, we had an awful big task to get up to speed. Our football at the time was based on being tight at the back and scoring from set pieces.

Although Malky didn't spend a fortune Tan fell out with him and I seem to remember the bone of contention was that Malky and Moody had abused Tans latitude and had massively overspent the transfer budget. The issues with the racist texts etc became an issue later on.

What I'm a little hazy about is that I seem to remember Tan's stance being that Malky had been too free with a budget of £40 million which was intended for not only transfer fees but players' wages too!!! Even though this was some 8-9 years ago an impossible constraint given our massive need to strengthen.

I highlight this episode because if it is accurate then it shows Tan's lack of knowledge and also how his plan was to invest the minimum for maximum gain.

I’d say you’ve got most things right there. Regarding the summer of 2013 as we prepared for our first Premier League season, it was clearly the Cornelius transfer that most concerned Vincent Tan more than any other, but I can’t remember it ever being more than something that reported in one or two places that the £40 million figure included wages as well - I’m not saying it’s wrong, just that I’d be surprised that it didn’t generate more attention if it were true. So, I’m sorry I can’t be of more help, but I can’t confirm or deny what you say with any confidence.

Delbert
25-10-21, 11:46
Jalil Rasheed
@jalilword
Big weekend with some difficult decisions made. Not a nice situation to be in. Hopefully the start of better things to come, with the limited resources we have. Lots of work being undertaken behind the scenes. Important that some affairs are held behind closed doors too.

VT CEO Jalil, Comments about some things should stay behind closed doors.

Wheres that revolving door

I think we can assume from that that VT was not amused by Dalman and Choo’s public criticism of him. Interesting times.

J R Hartley
25-10-21, 12:08
The club are damned if they do, damned if they dont.

If they dont keep the fans informed they are accused of lack of transparency.

When they are open and honest that we are in the shit financially, and that there wont be any transfer kitty for another couple of windows, then people start to lose their shit.

What happened to "Rather be blue in League Two"?

wberksblue
25-10-21, 13:14
For me, all this talk of "re-financing" the club is just a complete smokescreen for what's actually going on - the club is being stripped bare.

It's understandable given that Tan's businesses have probably struggled during the pandemic and the club is engulfed in legal battles, but if he's not able to properly support the football side of the business, he needs to admit that and walk away. Dalman keeps saying that Tan has had offers to sell and refused them, but for me that's not because of his commitment to the success of the club, it's because he wants to get his money back.

Since we were relegated the club has talked about cutting down the size of the squad and wage budget, making it sustainable. But in comparison to so many clubs at our level, we never had an oversized playing squad and we didn't have big earners. Some players who didn't play enough to justify their salary, yes, but no one earning a extortionate amount.

Over the past year we've cut back on our playing budget even further. With the players out of contract next summer, we're going to be extremely light on senior players. It's not "sustainable" for a Championship club to be so low on senior players.

Dalman's comment that he didn't think they would have to worry about the football side of things is extremely worrying. The board think that this level of investment in the playing squad is enough to survive comfortably in the league. Okay, McCarthy hasn't helped, but our best starting XI is full of gap-fillers, rather than players thriving in their favoured positions. That's not going to cut it for long at this level, especially once the out-of-contract players leave.

And finally, what manager is going to want to come to this club based on what Dalman has told the supporters groups? Moore is surely destined for the door in January to add to our problems, and there's likely no transfer budget for the next two windows.

There's no chance that Wilder comes in based on that arrangement, and it's unlikely that we'd offer him enough money. Dalman has said he's not willing to take the risk on an unproven young manager, and we're not going to be buying someone out of contract from another club. So who does that leave us with? Someone like Mark Bowen is looking most likely.

We're on the verge of being in dire straits, and it's absolutely essential that fans are putting pressure on the board to act differently, because they're clearly blind to how bad the footballing situation may soon become.

the other bob wilson
25-10-21, 13:23
For me, all this talk of "re-financing" the club is just a complete smokescreen for what's actually going on - the club is being stripped bare.

It's understandable given that Tan's businesses have probably struggled during the pandemic and the club is engulfed in legal battles, but if he's not able to properly support the football side of the business, he needs to admit that and walk away. Dalman keeps saying that Tan has had offers to sell and refused them, but for me that's not because of his commitment to the success of the club, it's because he wants to get his money back.

Since we were relegated the club has talked about cutting down the size of the squad and wage budget, making it sustainable. But in comparison to so many clubs at our level, we never had an oversized playing squad and we didn't have big earners. Some players who didn't play enough to justify their salary, yes, but no one earning a extortionate amount.

Over the past year we've cut back on our playing budget even further. With the players out of contract next summer, we're going to be extremely light on senior players. It's not "sustainable" for a Championship club to be so low on senior players.

Dalman's comment that he didn't think they would have to worry about the football side of things is extremely worrying. The board think that this level of investment in the playing squad is enough to survive comfortably in the league. Okay, McCarthy hasn't helped, but our best starting XI is full of gap-fillers, rather than players thriving in their favoured positions. That's not going to cut it for long at this level, especially once the out-of-contract players leave.

And finally, what manager is going to want to come to this club based on what Dalman has told the supporters groups? Moore is surely destined for the door in January to add to our problems, and there's likely no transfer budget for the next two windows.

There's no chance that Wilder comes in based on that arrangement, and it's unlikely that we'd offer him enough money. Dalman has said he's not willing to take the risk on an unproven young manager, and we're not going to be buying someone out of contract from another club. So who does that leave us with? Someone like Mark Bowen is looking most likely.

We're on the verge of being in dire straits, and it's absolutely essential that fans are putting pressure on the board to act differently, because they're clearly blind to how bad the footballing situation may soon become.

Good post.

Citizen's Nephew
25-10-21, 13:30
Good post.

Agreed. Particularly the final paragraph

I used to post we're a club in decline. I now feel we're a club in rapid decline.

Mr Soul '68
25-10-21, 13:46

Personally, I think Tan isn't interested in the club in the least and hasn't been since we turned back to blue, despite the flim-flam people write on here about him putting his hand in his pocket to keep us afloat. I don't believe for one minute that there has been one concrete offer for the club

The way things look, he is willing to take a loss on us if we go down

If I was a gambling man, which I am not, I think we'll go for Mike Flynn. He's currently out of work. Lives locally. Will be cheap, and saved Cewnty from going out of the league a few seasons back. Sooooo...therefore we'll end up with Chris Wilder lol

The Lone Gunman
25-10-21, 13:54

Lest we forget that the vast majority of City's fanbase stood passively by while their club's identity was being stripped out from under them. Be realistic, what do you think the supporters are likely to do in the current circumstances?

Dorcus
25-10-21, 13:59
Personally, I think Tan isn't interested in the club in the least and hasn't been since we turned back to blue, despite the flim-flam people write on here about him putting his hand in his pocket to keep us afloat. I don't believe for one minute that there has been one concrete offer for the club

If I was a gambling man, which I am not, I think we'll go for Mike Flynn. He's currently out of work. Lives locally. Will be cheap, and saved Cewnty from going out of the league a few seasons back. Sooooo...therefore we'll end up with Chris Wilder lol

I'd say Mike Flynn is a good bet too; he's cheap so that'll suit Tan.

I think the rest of your post is pretty well spot on but where I differ is on the point of offers to buy the club. I can well believe offers come and go all the time and some are not worth replying to such as a Sam Hammam takeover. However I think Tan can't wait to get rid of us but he's holding out for an unachievable sum given our dire circumstances.

Hilts
25-10-21, 14:03

If the club is being stripped bare then why did we turn down offers for Kiefer Moore and Cieran Brown?

Citizen's Nephew
25-10-21, 14:48

It's a dark, seedy business that's for sure. I don't believe anything the board say anymore and haven't for years.

I too think Mike Flynn will be our best bet if money is really that tight. It's not really fair though to choose him because of a cheap price-tag, I happen to think he'd be a really good choice and fit for us under the current circumstances and league position. I watched a lot of his Newport teams pre-lockdown including the Leeds and Spurs matches at Rodney Parade and they've always given their all. He's learned a lot, is well-respected by his peers (by all accounts) and has made friends at bigger clubs during Newport's cup runs.

He's had four years at Newport so is not the risk that people think he is.

stan butler
25-10-21, 14:51

Since the red fiasco was reversed Tan has put millions into the club for the likes of Warnock to spend so i don't get how he lost interest after going back to blue.
It would be nice to hear from Tan but it don't bother me if he attends games or not.

Hilts
25-10-21, 14:55
Lost interest but still responsible for tactics. Its the silly season.

Mr Soul '68
25-10-21, 14:58
I'd say Mike Flynn is a good bet too; he's cheap so that'll suit Tan.

I think the rest of your post is pretty well spot on but where I differ is on the point of offers to buy the club. I can well believe offers come and go all the time and some are not worth replying to such as a Sam Hammam takeover. However I think Tan can't wait to get rid of us but he's holding out for an unachievable sum given our dire circumstances.

I'd love to know what offers Tan has received for the club. Will we ever know, and how much they were for and when were the offers made? I doubt us fans will ever know the truth behind any offers if any were ever genuinely made to buy the club

dml1954
25-10-21, 14:59
It's a dark, seedy business that's for sure. I don't believe anything the board say anymore and haven't for years.

I too think Mike Flynn will be our best bet if money is really that tight. It's not really fair though to choose him because of a cheap price-tag, I happen to think he'd be a really good choice and fit for us under the current circumstances and league position. I watched a lot of his Newport teams pre-lockdown including the Leeds and Spurs matches at Rodney Parade and they've always given their all. He's learned a lot, is well-respected by his peers (by all accounts) and has made friends at bigger clubs during Newport's cup runs.

He's had four years at Newport so is not the risk that people think he is.

What experience has he got in managing a team above League 2 level - none.

What has he actually achieved at Newport - nothing.

If the best compliment you can give him is that his teams ‘give their all’, I would have thought that should be a minimum requirement of any team and it is hardly anything to write home about.

Mr Soul '68
25-10-21, 15:08
Since the red fiasco was reversed Tan has put millions into the club for the likes of Warnock to spend so i don't get how he lost interest after going back to blue.
It would be nice to hear from Tan but it don't bother me if he attends games or not.

My take on it, was that Tan thought he'd get a lot of decent good offers for the club if he gave the likes of Warnock millions to spend. However, as I stated in my original post i don't believe he has received one decent concrete offer for the club. Yes, he might well have received a few derisory offers, but nothing worth him selling the club for., at the time, pre-covid.

As an aside, how many times has Tan actually attended home games after we turned back to blue? My memory, which isn't always correct, says it is just the once v Derby, several seasons back. I get the impression he wanted us in and around the play-offs, or even in the prem, just like Warnock manged to get us to be (without spending a vast amount of his cash to do so), so we would be viable to sell. As I've said just my own, probably cynical lol, thoughts

dml1954
25-10-21, 15:11

So what would you define as ‘properly support the business’ then. Conservative estimates say that he has pumped over £200m into the club since he came here and that he was covering losses of £3.5m a month during lockdown. Not enough for you though apparently.

How many Championship clubs have spent big this season - hardly any and most are taking severe cost cutting measures. We are not alone in this but there is no evidence that we cant survive or that Tan is going to pull the plug either.

What would happen if Tan did ‘walk away’. We would go bust is the answer but apparently that is preferable to you than him continuing.

How do you know what our players have been earning ?

Your post is all guesswork and supposition but I am not surprised that some people of here have agreed with it, as there has been an agenda to get rid of Tan by some almost since he arrived and every manager we have had in the last 8 years has been castigated and ridiculed almost as soon as they get their feet under the desk.

Hilts
25-10-21, 15:16
My take on it, was that Tan thought he'd get a lot of decent good offers for the club if he gave the likes of Warnock millions to spend. However, as I stated in my original post i don't believe he has received one decent concrete offer for the club. Yes, he might well have received a few derisory offers, but nothing worth him selling the club for., at the time, pre-covid.

As an aside, how many times has Tan actually attended home games after we turned back to blue? My memory, which isn't always correct, says it is just the once v Derby, several seasons back. I get the impression he wanted us in and around the play-offs, or even in the prem, just like Warnock manged to get us to be (without spending a vast amount of his cash to do so), so we would be viable to sell. As I've said just my own, probably cynical lol, thoughts

He was at the Reading game when we got promoted.

Citizen's Nephew
25-10-21, 15:21
What experience has he got in managing a team above League 2 level - none.

What has he actually achieved at Newport - nothing.

If the best compliment you can give him is that his teams ‘give their all’, I would have thought that should be a minimum requirement of any team and it is hardly anything to write home about.

And yet after a record 8 defeats under a manager who is supposed to be the more experienced we've done so well haven't we? Do some homework on what he's achieved at Newport with bugger all. Saving Newport from dropping out of the Football League is no mean feat. Beating Leeds with a League 2 side. A play-off final last season. That's nothing? It seems that Cardiff City sides have regulalrly been failing abysmally by your metrics since we got promoted because I haven't seen us give the minimum requirement for years. To see a Cardiff side give their all would be something to write home about.

stan butler
25-10-21, 15:21

I can see what your saying. But maybe i'm wrong in saying not all owners attend games. Tan is a businessman he probably has other interests to keep an eye on to. Same has the big companies i worked for in the past i don't think i ever saw the main man in any of them. That didn't mean he/she wasn't interested the business they just had people in place to do that side of things.

Hilts
25-10-21, 15:25
Theres a list of depressing options.

Mike Flynn is one of them.

Citizen's Nephew
25-10-21, 15:26
So what would you define as ‘properly support the business’ then. Conservative estimates say that he has pumped over £200m into the club since he came here and that he was covering losses of £3.5m a month during lockdown. Not enough for you though apparently.

How many Championship clubs have spent big this season - hardly any and most are taking severe cost cutting measures. We are not alone in this but there is no evidence that we cant survive or that Tan is going to pull the plug either.

What would happen if Tan did ‘walk away’. We would go bust is the answer but apparently that is preferable to you than him continuing.

Your post is all guesswork and supposition but I am not surprised that some people of here have agreed with it, as there has been an agenda to get rid of Tan by some almost since he arrived and every manager we have had in the last 8 years has been castigated and ridiculed almost as soon as they get their feet under the desk.

We've had some epic failures though, to be fair.

Citizen's Nephew
25-10-21, 15:27

Why?

goats
25-10-21, 15:29

Completely inept tactically and no way got what it takes to manage ccfc according to a player I know who worked under him

Hilts
25-10-21, 15:38
Why?

He has no CV to take over a Championship club.

If he hadnt been a manager of a club just down the road he wouldnt even be mentioned.

Ive seen plenty of lower league highlights and ive seen L1 teams play better passing football than us. Why arent these L1 managers being mentioned. Answer they are not 10 miles down the road.

I also saw the whole of the L2 final and both sides were utter garbage. Nothing I saw made me think id want him here.

Hes just left a mid table L2 outfit.

If hes the best we can do then yep its seriously depressing.

Of course he may turn out to be some genius but his CV shouldnt have him near a job like ours.

the other bob wilson
25-10-21, 15:52

If he hadnt been a manager of a club just down the road he wouldnt even be mentioned.

Ive seen plenty of lower league highlights and ive seen L1 teams play better passing football than us. Why arent these L1 managers being mentioned. Answer they are not 10 miles down the road.

I also saw the whole of the L2 final and both sides were utter garbage. Nothing I saw made me think id want him here.

Of course he may turn out to be some genius but his CV shouldnt have him near a job like ours.

How about Duff of Cheltenham and someone like Artell of Crewe who have a promotion on their CV? Mind you, Flynn would as well were it not for a pathetic referee at Wembley back in May.

Hilts
25-10-21, 16:00
How about Duff of Cheltenham and someone like Artell of Crewe who have a promotion on their CV? Mind you, Flynn would as well were it not for a pathetic referee at Wembley back in May.

Duff appears highly thought of and apparently play good passing football I just doubt we will play comp.

The Morecambe manager had a promotion on his CV. They were worse than Newport. Wouldnt want him or Flynn.

wberksblue
25-10-21, 16:19
Lest we forget that the vast majority of City's fanbase stood passively by while their club's identity was being stripped out from under them. Be realistic, what do you think the supporters are likely to do in the current circumstances?

Yep, good point, the fans are far more likely just to show apathy by not turning up. Something active needs to be done though.

wberksblue
25-10-21, 16:25
If the club is being stripped bare then why did we turn down offers for Kiefer Moore and Cieran Brown?

As much as I don't think the board has a lot of footballing nous, it's pretty blatant that Moore scoring goals is the only hope we have of staying up this season. Especially when the offers came so late, it would have been suicidal to sell him. They know the importance of the club avoiding relegation.

Marley Watkins signing for a couple of weeks and then leaving I think proves my point. The board didn't want to sign anyone that McCarthy couldn't guarantee was going to start regularly, so he wasn't signed. Same with Wintle and Murphy being loaned out - we clearly more options in the squad, but because they weren't guaranteed starters we shipped them out.

wberksblue
25-10-21, 16:43

I'll judge the owner of the club by their merits, it's nothing to do with an agenda against Tan. And even if there was, wouldn't people have the right to question someone who changed the club's kit colour, has seemed to show very little interest since we went back to blue, and has such a limited knowledge of football that they'd make decisions such as appointing the work experience boy as Head of Recruitment?

No one is saying these aren't difficult circumstances, but I refute the idea that we should just bow down and be grateful to an owner whose aim is ultimately to make money from a business. At least question what is going on?

City123
25-10-21, 17:15
Lost interest but still responsible for tactics. Its the silly season.
It really is incredible how, in the minds of some, Tan has gone from a disinterested absentee owner to someone picking the team overnight. All based of course on a comment from a man these people think is a clown!

Citizen's Nephew
25-10-21, 17:21

Well, I agree that it's seriously depressing. I don't subscribe to the view that there are huge differences in English football leagues these days nor do I subscribe to the view that a person's CV, when it comes to our squad, should be the main deciding factor. There's the top half of the EPL, the bottom half of the EPL and the top 4-5 clubs in The Championship and then there's the rest of us. When I don't go to Cardiff home matches I go to a lot of L1, L2 and non-league football as well as the Cymru Premier and am regularly reminded of how bad it is at CCFC. There are plenty of L1 and L2 sides that would beat us.

Hilts
25-10-21, 17:28
Well, I agree that it's seriously depressing. I don't subscribe to the view that there are huge differences in English football leagues these days nor do I subscribe to the view that a person's CV, when it comes to our squad, should be the main deciding factor. There's the top half of the EPL, the bottom half of the EPL and the top 4-5 clubs in The Championship and then there's the rest of us. When I don't go to Cardiff home matches I go to a lot of L1, L2 and non-league football as well as the Cymru Premier and am regularly reminded of how bad it is at CCFC. There are plenty of L1 and L2 sides that would beat us.

Im playing 5 a side shortly give us a keeper and wed beat that lot that on Saturdays display. 😂

Forgotmyoldaccount
25-10-21, 17:29
We have a footballing idiot running operations :facepalm::facepalm:

Dorcus
25-10-21, 18:35
I'll judge the owner of the club by their merits, it's nothing to do with an agenda against Tan. And even if there was, wouldn't people have the right to question someone who changed the club's kit colour, has seemed to show very little interest since we went back to blue, and has such a limited knowledge of football that they'd make decisions such as appointing the work experience boy as Head of Recruitment?

No one is saying these aren't difficult circumstances, but I refute the idea that we should just bow down and be grateful to an owner whose aim is ultimately to make money from a business. At least question what is going on?

Hear hear with bells on!

An intelligent view at last. 👍

Do me a Faerber
25-10-21, 18:45
He was at the Reading game when we got promoted.

Got carried onto the pitch by club employees, making it look like he was Mr Popular.

Dorcus
25-10-21, 19:03
Got carried onto the pitch by club employees, making it look like he was Mr Popular.

I bet for him that little cameo was worth all the millions he's put into the club. He probably thought Alex Ferguson look at me now.

gabbsthenewt
25-10-21, 21:33

gabbsthenewt
25-10-21, 21:39

Or was it more like this

lisvaneblue
26-10-21, 06:08
Who said anything about a plan? I haven't suggested there is any kind of genuine strategy in place at the club. I'm merely disputing your claims that Vincent Tan has completely lost interest and has no involvement in the club's activities. I think you're well wide of the mark.

A couple of days ago, Mick McCarthy said the following when asked if he'd spoken to Vincent Tan recently: "I've had two or three conversations with Vincent, yes, but you'll appreciate that, the fact that I've had them, I'm not going to tell you what was said."

I don't believe Messrs Dalman and Choo have a mandate to make any significant decisions regarding the club's operations. I believe anything and everything of any note goes through the owner. And I believe that's been the case for many years.

Up to now VT has made the decisions. However, Jalill Rasheed is now CEO of the Berjaya corporation and recently appointed as a director of the football club. I reckon he will have an increasing influence on the Club if not total control in the future. Here is a snapshot of him from Linked In4629

lisvaneblue
26-10-21, 06:11
Sorry it's in inverted. I'll try to correct..otherwise stand on your head to read it:-)

lisvaneblue
26-10-21, 06:16
4630[QUOTE=lisvaneblue;5238506]Sorry it's in inverted. I'll try to correct..otherwise stand on head

the other bob wilson
26-10-21, 06:21
Up to now VT has made the decisions. However, Jalill Rasheed is now CEO of the Berjaya corporation and recently appointed as a director of the football club. I reckon he will have an increasing influence on the Club if not total control in the future. Here is a snapshot of him from Linked In4629

Think there could be something to this.

lisvaneblue
26-10-21, 07:18
Think there could be something to this.

Very much so. I reckon Mr Rasheed has been asking questions and seeking answers from MD and KC.

Might go some way to explain why MD has been keen to put the blame on VT for some bad decision making over recent years.

the other bob wilson
26-10-21, 07:20
Very much so. I reckon Mr Rasheed has been asking questions and seeking answers from MD and KC.

Might go some way to explain why MD has been keen to put the blame on VT for some bad decision making over recent years.

Exactly.

Enoch Mort
26-10-21, 07:36

……and now we now know that one of the major bad decisions by VT was giving in to Warnock and going against MD and KC over the Sala transfer. If he’d sided with his lieutenants, as he should have done, the Cardiff City landscape would be very different niow

blue lewj
26-10-21, 08:16
……and now we now know that one of the major bad decisions by VT was giving in to Warnock and going against MD and KC over the Sala transfer. If he’d sided with his lieutenants, as he should have done, the Cardiff City landscape would be very different niow

The Sala transfer made sense to a lot of people at the time.

Nobody could have foreseen the crash. Certainly not those at our football club anyway.

lisvaneblue
26-10-21, 08:25

Nobody could have foreseen the crash. Certainly not those at our football club anyway.

The South Wales Echo report on the MD meeting was that he and KC were not against a Sala deal per se, rather they opposed it because they thought the price was too hig

Enoch Mort
26-10-21, 08:27

Agreed, however, the transfer committee appear to have made some poor decisions over the years but we never get to know when they say no. In this case we do. Two critical members of the team said no and got overruled. Evidently, the transfer didn’t make sense to them. It would be interesting to know why they said no.

Hilts
26-10-21, 08:28
If I was there id have asked did they sanction the Madine , Glatzel , Flint transfers and did they all think giving Bacuna such a long contract was good business.

sanctum of blue
26-10-21, 08:44
This was posted in WOL back in July with what appears to be the linked in quote

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/football-data-facts-geek-joins-21057858

IF Tan has fully allowed someone else to run his clubs there may be grounds for optimism in the future?

blue lewj
26-10-21, 08:47
If I was there id have asked did they sanction the Madine , Glatzel , Flint transfers and did they all think giving Bacuna such a long contract was good business.

Exactly this.

This is why I think a two way meeting with chance to have a question and answer with some further questions would be good.

I understand he only gave 45 minutes but as many have said MD usually creates more further questions when he attempts to answer the initial one.