PDA

View Full Version : Phil Dwyer RIP

barrybloo
30-11-21, 20:55
R.I.P.

Pearcey3
30-11-21, 20:58
Very sad and he wasn’t that old. A defender I will always associate with Cardiff City in the 1970’s.

splott parker
30-11-21, 21:04
Would be 67 I think. RIP to a proper City stalwart.

Hot Shot Hamish.
30-11-21, 21:05
If it’s true that’s very sad news. Rip Joe. Great memories watching you for all those years.

splott parker
30-11-21, 21:11
Ironic how one thread on here mentioned him the other day.

The Bloop
30-11-21, 21:21
I'm a bit reluctant to comment until it is confirmed but he was probably my first hero at the City.
Very sad news if true.

DubaiDai
30-11-21, 21:25

68 I believe.we played in the same city youth side

splott parker
30-11-21, 21:31
68 I believe.we played in the same city youth side

You’re correct, I was going by my age, 66, and I knew he was a school year above me. School years run August to July I think and my birthday is in January when I’ll then be a year younger than him. If you get my drift:facepalm:

Armitage Shanks
30-11-21, 21:36
Nothing on the other board, and I know that he comes across as being a good mate. So will wait until the news is formally announced

Tuerto
30-11-21, 21:48
Nothing on the other board, and I know that he comes across as being a good mate. So will wait until the news is formally announced

Yes, I think that it's wise to wait for clarification.

BLUEAWAY
30-11-21, 21:48

We were at St Pats together in the same class
I hope this isn’t true

olderblue
30-11-21, 21:55
One of my favourite players, very sad news

ninian72
30-11-21, 22:21
RIP Phil (Joe) Dwyer my all time favourite player

Ivortheengine
30-11-21, 22:23
Great player great club man . Always gave everything , in all the games he played. Nothing less than 110’/, every time. You will be remembered for a very long time.How the club could do with someone like you right now.

blue matt
30-11-21, 23:58
RIP Joe

I know that Claire used to read this forum years ago, not sure if she still does

the other bob wilson
01-12-21, 05:25
I see that Jason Mohammad has posted something about Joe Dwyer passing away so it’s very probably true, but as there’s nothing from the club or being shown on News Now to that effect, it’s probably best to assume nothing yet.

cityhammer
01-12-21, 07:02
I see that Jason Mohammad has posted something about Joe Dwyer passing away so it’s very probably true, but as there’s nothing from the club or being shown on News Now to that effect, it’s probably best to assume nothing yet.
It’s true sadly. My folks live nearby in Wenvoe. RIP Phil.

Nobody's Rep
01-12-21, 07:10
Legend and more sad news following in from Frank Burrows and Len Ashurst

Didn't Joe play in goal for us against Bradford when their lights were broke and we played a midweek game in the afternoon?? Back in the early 80s??

the other bob wilson
01-12-21, 07:36

Thank you.

the other bob wilson
01-12-21, 07:40
Legend and more sad news following in from Frank Burrows and Len Ashurst

Didn't Joe play in goal for us against Bradford when their lights were broke and we played a midweek game in the afternoon?? Back in the early 80s??

Yes, it was in February 1983. Lindon Jones had a go as well after Andy Dibble was injured. We lost 4-2 and Joe scored one of our goals, not sure how many he let in.

Elwood Blues
01-12-21, 08:19

Rip Joe

NottinghamBlue
01-12-21, 08:21
RIP Joe and thank you for the memories. My sincere condolences to family and friends.

Elwood Blues
01-12-21, 08:25
Very sad and he wasn’t that old. A defender I will always associate with Cardiff City in the 1970’s.

He was about 5 months older than me. He was 68 in October

Toadstool
01-12-21, 08:56
Very Sad news - one of my first heros in the early 70's side, and although as he got older he got a bit slower he was always a great play and always gave 100%.

I used to think as well he had a great raport with the fans, I'm sure I remember one time he lunged in on a tackle and took some trickey winger out, turned to the bob bank and gave a wink as we chanted his name.

Majorblue
01-12-21, 08:59
Gave his all for his hometown club.
One of my favourite players over the years.
Thank you and RIP.

Mario Miethig
01-12-21, 09:12
Very sad news. Nobody was more Cardiff City than him. Deepest condolences to his family and friends. RIP Joe

SLUDGE FACTORY
01-12-21, 09:25
Scored that goal in that 2-1 win against Leeds in 84 ?

Night game ?

RIP Phil Dwyer

BLUEAWAY
01-12-21, 09:49
Very sad news. Nobody was more Cardiff City than him. Deepest condolences to his family and friends. RIP Joe

Cardiff through and through.
As a child he lived above the greengrocers on Penarth Road and went to St. Patrick’s school before moving on to Fitzalen at 11.
Playtime at St.Pats was always football, usually with a tennis ball. At 8 or 9 years of age he was already a better player than anybody else, although often played in goal. Similarly playing on Saturday mornings in the schools league. I think it fair to say that as he got older his focus was very much on football than schoolwork. At 16 I started training with the City Youth on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Coronation Park. He was just a month younger than me but by that time he was already signed as a full time apprentice. Always enthusiastic, always determined, often crazy��

Rock_Flock_of_Five
01-12-21, 10:02
City 'legend'. The first time I've used that term in all the years I've been on this message board, but it's fitting of Joe Dwyer. I was privileged to have seen him play for most of his City career.

RIP Joe

uncle bob
01-12-21, 10:13
Sad news

jon1959
01-12-21, 10:22
Very sad news.

Some of the tributes which clearly show his status ('a great', 'legend') with the Cardiff City family:

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/memory-phil-dwyer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59485088

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-legend-phil-dwyer-22325758

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/phil-joe-dwyer-1953-2021/

Taunton Blue Genie
01-12-21, 10:24
Sad news

See yesterday's thread.

Dave Blue
01-12-21, 10:25
Very sad news. That testimonial never did him justice. Very poor turn out, I think we had just got relegated if my memory is correct m. A true club legend.

the other bob wilson
01-12-21, 10:29
Phil “Joe” Dwyer 1953-2021.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Trigger
01-12-21, 10:33
Sad news. RIP Bluebird

Bobby Dandruff
01-12-21, 10:55
Joe started playing for the first team the season after I started watching Cardiff City so I must have seen most of his home appearances. He felt like the link between the late 1960s/early 1970s/ECWC era and the more modern 1970s. And he was there through the good and bad times of relegation and then promotion.

I always remember that what he lacked in finesse he more than made up for in commitment and as a result everybody was happy when he played (apart from opposing forwards maybe...)

Jason Perry always struck me as a latter day Joe Dwyer.

I also remember a story of him swallowing his tongue after a collision during an away game and the physio running onto the pitch and saving his life. He probably played on!

As often gets said these days with the passing of a former player, we could do with a few Joe Dwyers in the current XI.

Hot Shot Hamish.
01-12-21, 10:55
I'll never forget the year after the famous clock incident at Portsmouth, when Joe pre game came charging over to the City fans on the Milton End, grabbed the the fence and started shouting "What's the time?" Absolutely brilliant. R.I.P Phil, you are a legend to every single bluebird.

MacAdder
01-12-21, 11:04
Sad to hear the rumour confirmed this morning.

A true Cardiff City legend who wore his heart on his sleeve, fiercely competitive, even after his professional days.

RIP Joe.

NYCBlue
01-12-21, 11:12
RIP. Proper City legend.

alan_corneli
01-12-21, 11:32
Very sad, I first noticed him when I used to watch my mate play for the Youth team, as they used to kick-off early when City were at home.

R.I.P. Joe.

Don Corleone
01-12-21, 11:47
My first Cardiff city “hero” too, no nonsense defender, always remember how proud I was as a Cardiff city fan when he played for Wales up front against England in the Home Internationals and scored against them at Ninian Park

uncle bob
01-12-21, 11:54
Sorry. Didn't see it. Eek

Nobody's Rep
01-12-21, 12:17
Yes, it was in February 1983. Lindon Jones had a go as well after Andy Dibble was injured. We lost 4-2 and Joe scored one of our goals, not sure how many he let in.

Thanks TOBW - had forgotten about Lindon Jones going I as well - was this before subs or limited subs?

That was the only game that year that I missed as I had an exam and had arranged for the ADAR Glas bus to pick me near college then the game got changed to the afternoon so I couldn't go and then missed a belter of a game which my usual travel companions including Mark Watkins (Dr Pop) managed to see 👍

Hilts
01-12-21, 12:35
RIP. True club legend.

Gofer Blue
01-12-21, 12:40
My all-time CCFC hero. Can't believe he has died so (relatively) young. Proud to have his book "Mr. Cardiff City" signed by the man himself. 100% commitment every time he played. I don't know if he would last the full 90 minutes in the modern game as his tackling was pretty ferocious on times!

Gofer Blue
01-12-21, 12:52
Joe started playing for the first team the season after I started watching Cardiff City so I must have seen most of his home appearances. He felt like the link between the late 1960s/early 1970s/ECWC era and the more modern 1970s. And he was there through the good and bad times of relegation and then promotion.

I always remember that what he lacked in finesse he more than made up for in commitment and as a result everybody was happy when he played (apart from opposing forwards maybe...)

Jason Perry always struck me as a latter day Joe Dwyer.

I also remember a story of him swallowing his tongue after a collision during an away game and the physio running onto the pitch and saving his life. He probably played on!

As often gets said these days with the passing of a former player, we could do with a few Joe Dwyers in the current XI.

Yes it happened - he describes the incident in his book. It was away at Gillingham and apparently the physio Ron Durham used the corner flag post to prise his tongue out of the back of his throat before giving him the kiss-of-life. He writes: "I know I have a big mouth but I didn't think it was big enough for a corner flag!". And, no, he did not continuing playing but was fit for the next game (home against Colchester).

Packerman
01-12-21, 13:19
RIP Joe City legend and my all-time City hero, no nonsense defender and a cult hero

His name is Joey Dwyer he's the hammer of our team :ayatollah:
Quite emotional, he was our rock in the 70s big part of my favourite season 75/76

Bobby Dandruff
01-12-21, 13:36
Yes it happened - he describes the incident in his book. It was away at Gillingham and apparently the physio Ron Durham used the corner flag post to prise his tongue out of the back of his throat before giving him the kiss-of-life. He writes: "I know I have a big mouth but I didn't think it was big enough for a corner flag!". And, no, he did not continuing playing but was fit for the next game (home against Colchester).

I have actually read his book, which shows how good my memory is......:facepalm:

Bobby Dandruff
01-12-21, 13:44

Linden Jones - another former very committed City player that I always really liked and yet was let go by the club (in one of the most bizarre joint transfers of all time, along with another favourite of mine John Lewis :-( )

Mr Soul '68
01-12-21, 14:02
R.I.P.

R.I.P 'Joey', got some great memories of your time playing with City, especially the epic 75/76 season. It only seems like yesterday i was chatting to you about the incident at Gillingham where you nearly swallowed your tongue and could have died. You told me you were more scared of getting the kiss of life off City's physio that day, than of dying, as you roared with laughter

SLUDGE FACTORY
01-12-21, 14:31
I remember him playing a blinder in a home international against England

He looked huge on the pitch to me in the Canton stand with my dad

The Lone Gunman
01-12-21, 14:59
Phil was a member of the City side in March 1975 when my father took me to my first game at Ninian Park on the day before my eighth birthday - a dire 0-0 draw with Sheffield Wednesday. Both teams were relegated to the Third Division a month later, but the following season was the epic 75/76 promotion campaign in which Phil played an enormous part. He was also an integral member of the team that won promotion in 1982/83 when the Bennett brothers were strutting their stuff at City.

In 2007, I interviewed Phil for the Valley Rams website. We became friends then and I was fortunate enough to enjoy a number of great days and nights with him over the years. One that springs to mind came in May 2008 in the week leading up to the FA Cup Final. We did an interview together for Setanta Sports in the sunshine outside Ninian Park during the afternoon, and then spent several hours getting well and truly 'refreshed' in the Duke of Clarence afterwards. I can remember thinking how surreal it was being sat in a pub with one of my all-time football heroes discussing the Bluebirds' chances in the forthcoming FA Cup Final.

When Phil's autobiography was published in 2011, I helped him with orders taken through the various websites and message boards, and we also arranged a book signing session for him in the Supporters Trust office at the new stadium. I can remember being sat in Phil's living room for a couple of hours while he signed piles of books and carefully wrote dedications for the many fans who'd requested them. The personal message of thanks he wrote inside my copy is something I'll always treasure.

Phil was a guest of honour at the Cardiff City Supporters' Trust launch event in September 2008 and he readily made himself available for numerous fan functions down the years. I last saw him in January 2020 at a 1-1 draw with Reading on a Friday night at the CCS. As always, he had time for everyone, and we had a chat and a laugh after what had been an especially grim game.

Phil Dwyer is a true giant in Cardiff City's history and I was privileged to be able to call him a friend. He'll be missed.

Wash DC Blue
01-12-21, 15:13
Very Sad News

binman
01-12-21, 15:23
RIP Joe - my first City hero

Used to love 'The Move' when we won a free kick just to the side outside the box - always used to shout out look out its the move!!

Free kick swung in by John Lewis Phil would go front post Gary Bennett back post - it bloody worked as well!!

the other bob wilson
01-12-21, 16:06
Thanks TOBW - had forgotten about Lindon Jones going I as well - was this before subs or limited subs?

That was the only game that year that I missed as I had an exam and had arranged for the ADAR Glas bus to pick me near college then the game got changed to the afternoon so I couldn't go and then missed a belter of a game which my usual travel companions including Mark Watkins (Dr Pop) managed to see ��

There was just the one sub back then, so whenever a keeper was injured/sent off, an outfield player would go in. I may be wrong, but it always seemed to me that there was no prior discussion about who would take over in goals, it was just a case of who fancied doing it. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if one of Joe or Linden had a bit of a nightmare and the other just said they could do better! Joe scored in the last ten minutes that day, so I assume he’d done his stint in goal by then.

That game was a throwback to the three day week ten years earlier when it was common to see matches played on a weekday working afternoon, but I can’t think of it happening to us again since that afternoon at Bradford.

valleys caveman
01-12-21, 16:45
R.I.P Mr Cardiff City.

MOZZER2
01-12-21, 17:03
As been mentioned by others watching him score for Wales v England at ninian park was 1 of my great memories of Mr Cardiff City amongst others

RIP Legend

BLUEAWAY
01-12-21, 17:38
Phil Dwyer: Watch from 1978 as Cardiff City great scores for Wales against England https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59492439

not telling
01-12-21, 17:59
RIP Joe - a legend.

splott parker
01-12-21, 18:19
I spoke about him in work today, such a shame that only one out about 8 blokes had heard of him. Couple are youngsters but they follow the City home and away, they had no idea about him. There’s me telling them that he’s the City’s record appearance holder etc. Sad thing is if it was a stalwart of some other clubs the roads would be closed for the funeral it’d be so packed.

Madassa
01-12-21, 19:24
Cardiff City Great. God Bless:ayatollah:

Gofer Blue
01-12-21, 19:52
Phil Dwyer: Watch from 1978 as Cardiff City great scores for Wales against England https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59492439

Thanks for the link - cracking goal. I don't remember it but I must have been there as I moved back to Wales in Feb. 1978 and became a regular ever after. Don't think I missed any of the home championships.

Sunnysideup
01-12-21, 19:53
RIP Big Phil
Sad news indeed

SLUDGE FACTORY
01-12-21, 19:54
Phil was a member of the City side in March 1975 when my father took me to my first game at Ninian Park on the day before my eighth birthday - a dire 0-0 draw with Sheffield Wednesday. Both teams were relegated to the Third Division a month later, but the following season was the epic 75/76 promotion campaign in which Phil played an enormous part. He was also an integral member of the team that won promotion in 1982/83 when the Bennett brothers were strutting their stuff at City.

In 2007, I interviewed Phil for the Valley Rams website. We became friends then and I was fortunate enough to enjoy a number of great days and nights with him over the years. One that springs to mind came in May 2008 in the week leading up to the FA Cup Final. We did an interview together for Setanta Sports in the sunshine outside Ninian Park during the afternoon, and then spent several hours getting well and truly 'refreshed' in the Duke of Clarence afterwards. I can remember thinking how surreal it was being sat in a pub with one of my all-time football heroes discussing the Bluebirds' chances in the forthcoming FA Cup Final.

When Phil's autobiography was published in 2011, I helped him with orders taken through the various websites and message boards, and we also arranged a book signing session for him in the Supporters Trust office at the new stadium. I can remember being sat in Phil's living room for a couple of hours while he signed piles of books and carefully wrote dedications for the many fans who'd requested them. The personal message of thanks he wrote inside my copy is something I'll always treasure.

Phil was a guest of honour at the Cardiff City Supporters' Trust launch event in September 2008 and he readily made himself available for numerous fan functions down the years. I last saw him in January 2020 at a 1-1 draw with Reading on a Friday night at the CCS. As always, he had time for everyone, and we had a chat and a laugh after what had been an especially grim game.

Phil Dwyer is a true giant in Cardiff City's history and I was privileged to be able to call him a friend. He'll be missed.

Absolutely, A one club man .....if it had been up to him

Parti Mellow
01-12-21, 20:06
I was extremely sad to hear of the passing of a true Cardiff City great. RIP Sir Phillip John Dwyer.

Mario Miethig
01-12-21, 20:54
Very sad news. That testimonial never did him justice. Very poor turn out, I think we had just got relegated if my memory is correct m. A true club legend.

It was against Stoke, November 82. I actually went, but I regret to say that me and a load of other boys sneaked in behind the Grange End. I was only 13 at the time, so didn’t really appreciate what testimonials were for.
It was a poor turnout, but Stoke were hardly glamour opposition, their star player was Mark Chamberlain, dad of Oxlade.

splott parker
01-12-21, 20:56
It was against Stoke, November 82. I actually went, but I regret to say that me and a load of other boys sneaked in behind the Grange End. I was only 13 at the time, so didn’t really appreciate what testimonials were for.
It was a poor turnout, but Stoke were hardly glamour opposition, their star player was Mark Chamberlain, dad of Oxlade.

Really random choice of opposition.

Mario Miethig
01-12-21, 20:57
Really random choice of opposition.

Joe deserved a lot better.

splott parker
01-12-21, 21:03
Joe deserved a lot better.

He certainly did, it smacks of ‘Who’s refused and who’s available now?’

Bluebeard
01-12-21, 22:59
Following on from various posters saying Joe was ferocious in the tackle, my abiding memory of him was a game at NP towards the end of his career with us. The opposing Centre Forward had broken through our 'defence' and was one on one with our keeper. As Joe gave chase I screamed 'Chop him Dwyer'. He proceded to execute the perfect tackle from behind and came away with the ball without touching the attacker.
Turns out I was at his first game away at Orient too.
RIP Joe

Gofer Blue
01-12-21, 23:10
Decent write-up on BBC Sport website:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59485088

Tuerto
02-12-21, 19:38
He certainly did, it smacks of ‘Who’s refused and who’s available now?’

The club probably didn't even try to get opposition that would attract more supporters.

splott parker
02-12-21, 19:53
The club probably didn't even try to get opposition that would attract more supporters.

Imagine the conversation, “Joe, we’ve sorted out the opposition for your testimonial”..... “I won’t guess, just tell me, I can’t wait to find out”....”It’s Stoke”..... “F*ck me, I should have stayed at Rochdale”.

SOXY BOY
02-12-21, 21:53
I met him a couple of times through a mutual friend, top guy. Condolences to his family friends and ex colleagues at CCFC and SWP. RIP Phil.

Swiss Peter
04-12-21, 11:21
Really sorry to read this. I started going in 1980 and he was such an important part of that team at the time. Sad news.

bobh
05-12-21, 20:24
Pleased to see a sizeable portion of the away section joining in the minute's applause yesterday. Well respected.

driver blue
05-12-21, 21:24
met him once in the pub in canton loved the city he did fair play to him,you don't get footballers like him anymore staying at there hometown club,there all to busy chasing money,he was more interested in chasing opposition strikers lol, rip phil you were an icon in my younger years watching you i was only a kid myself happy memories RIP mr cardiff city

Armitage Shanks
05-12-21, 21:44

I didn't know that. I remember some of the Stoke team from 82 from Panini stickers.. Peter fox in goal. Adrian heath also played for them.