PDA

View Full Version : Great Support Bands

Peajay
14-12-21, 16:56
Went to see Madness last night, who were supported by Squeeze who were superb. The only other time I remember a support act being that good were The Adventures (Anyone remember them ?) who supported Fleetwood mac about 86ish in Cologne.

Anyone else that went, equally impressed ? Both concerts :hehe:

SLUDGE FACTORY
14-12-21, 17:14
Went to see Madness last night, who were supported by Squeeze who were superb. The only other time I remember a support act being that good were The Adventures (Anyone remember them ?) who supported Fleetwood mac about 86ish in Cologne.

Mastodon , Red Fang , Cardiff

willo1927
14-12-21, 19:52

Squeeze are a proper band whereas Madness are shit so no suprise they were better.
My favourite support act were Tesla when they supported Def Leppard in Newport.
The place went mad when they played Modern day cowboy.

ToTaL ITK
14-12-21, 20:01
paul young ....to grand master flash and the furious five...beat that

splott parker
14-12-21, 20:06
UB40 to The Pretenders down The Rank.

tforturton
14-12-21, 20:08
I remember going to Newport Stowaway, to see The Rezillos. This would have been late 1978, I guess. Supporting them were a little-known Irish band called The Undertones. As you can imagine, one amazing night.
Two days later, the same line-up was at Cardiff University, only in the meantime, The Rezillos had split up, and The Undertones were topping the bill, with some late local additions.

SLUDGE FACTORY
14-12-21, 20:08
Squeeze are a proper band whereas Madness are shit so no suprise they were better.
My favourite support act were Tesla when they supported Def Leppard in Newport.
The place went mad when they played Modern day cowboy.

Good band Tesla

tforturton
14-12-21, 20:17
Years ago (1990?) I went up to Wolverhampton to see Iggy Pop (the greatest ever live performer, in my mind). He was supported by That Petrol Emotion. Another great gig. See Iggy and die.

RichardM
14-12-21, 20:32
Van Halen supporting Sabbath, Hammersmith Odeon 1978

willo1927
14-12-21, 20:34
Good band Tesla

Mechanical Renaissance is in my top 10 favourite albums.

SLUDGE FACTORY
14-12-21, 20:37
Mechanical Renaissance is in my top 10 favourite albums.

It was a great gig

I always wished Cardiff had a similar venue

Saw Pantera there

Blew my head off

willo1927
14-12-21, 20:48
It was a great gig

I always wished Cardiff had a similar venue

Saw Pantera there

Blew my head off

Did you WALK? lol

blue matt
14-12-21, 20:52
EMF at the Adamski gig in Newport :thumbup:

lively outside aswell

The Bloop
14-12-21, 21:00
About 30 years ago we went to watch Adamski at the Newport Centre (hes the DJ who did Killer with Seal). He was as ordinary as you get.
The support was EMF who had gone massive in the week or 2 before the gig. It was manic. The place was rammed especially as they were from Gloucester and so was a local gig. Adamski knew he was effectively the support that night.
Unbelievable.

blue matt
14-12-21, 21:01
About 30 years ago we went to watch Adamski at the Newport Centre (hes the DJ who did Killer with Seal). He was as ordinary as you get.
The support was EMF who had gone massive in the week or 2 before the gig. It was manic. The place was rammed especially as they were from Gloucester and so was a local gig. Adamski knew he was effectively the support that night.
Unbelievable.

:thumbup:

The Bloop
14-12-21, 21:01

lively outside aswell

Fk me - you typed that at the same time as my offering. 😊

NYCBlue
14-12-21, 22:04
I saw the Cocteau Twins open up for OMD.

SLUDGE FACTORY
14-12-21, 22:17
Did you WALK? lol

I wasn't able to walk after that show

SLUDGE FACTORY
14-12-21, 22:18
I saw the Cocteau Twins open up for OMD.

Fav album ?

Late one but Heaven or Las Vegas for me

blue matt
14-12-21, 22:23
Fk me - you typed that at the same time as my offering. ��

of all the gigs, a small gig in Newport centre 30 odd years ago with 2 fairly unknown ( though seal as known due to killer ) acts

were you in the small group of city who "mobbed up" outside towards the bus stops ? ?? ?

SLUDGE FACTORY
14-12-21, 22:25
of all the gigs, a small gig in Newport centre 30 odd years ago with 2 fairly unknown ( though seal as known due to killer ) acts

were you in the small group of city who "mobbed up" outside towards the bus stops ? ?? ?

Who was fighting ?

Cardiff Aggro

NYCBlue
14-12-21, 22:58
Fav album ?

Late one but Heaven or Las Vegas for me

The first one. There's a little menace in some of the guitar work.

life on mars
15-12-21, 00:04
Top Rank: Thin Lizzy warm up act to Suzy Quatro and Slade .

Green Day : T.J.'s Xmas Gig 23rd Dec 1991 the excellent Midway Still headlined

StraightOuttaCanton
15-12-21, 00:14
Saw The Cure opening for Siouxsie and The Banshees at Sophia Gardens in 1979. Was literally the 2nd gig I ever went to.

Random in Duquesa
15-12-21, 00:21

I was at the Slade Gig and it stood out for me because the support made it big , especially lizzy.,
Lizzy played their new single " Whiskey in jar " , and quatro played " can the can " .
A sexy guitar playing woman with her leather zip up suit was unusual at the time, and welcome for a young teenager .

+ the native hipster
15-12-21, 00:36
greatest support ' the ex lion tamers ' the worlds best[only] wire tribute band , they played old wire stuff the band didnt want to do anymore , then the headliners wire did all their new stuff genius

Ivortheengine
15-12-21, 07:38
Went to see Nils Lofgren in the Capitol Theatre in the 70’s. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers we’re the support band. You just knew this band were going to be huge. Big mistake to put them as support with Nils Lofgren . Felt sorry for him when he came on. No way was he going to match the previous 45 minutes. Went. To Buffalo Records the next day to buy TP and the Heartbreakers debut album. Best £1.99 I ever spent. Still got the album.

cityhammer
15-12-21, 08:49
Thought Squeeze were amazing in Monday night.

I once saw Bob Dylan supported by Nick Lowe, UB40 and Santana. Dylan’s guests were Clapton, Christie Hynde and Van Morrison!

Bobby Dandruff
15-12-21, 09:45
UB40 to The Pretenders down The Rank.

I went to that! My first ever gig! 5th Feb 1980.

Whereas reggae was never
my thing they certainly made an impression. ‘King/Food For Thought’ had just been released and ‘Brass In Pocket’ was at number 1.

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-12-21, 11:12

Saw Midway Still at Glastonbury , 92 if I remember

Quality noise from a rock trio

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-12-21, 11:13
greatest support ' the ex lion tamers ' the worlds best[only] wire tribute band , they played old wire stuff the band didnt want to do anymore , then the headliners wire did all their new stuff genius

Wire were a great band , huge influence on Helmet

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-12-21, 11:15
Anvil supporting Motorhead 1983 , St David's Hall

Anvil were hilarious and very heavy

NYCBlue
15-12-21, 12:18
I went to that! My first ever gig! 5th Feb 1980.

Whereas reggae was never
my thing they certainly made an impression. ‘King/Food For Thought’ had just been released and ‘Brass In Pocket’ was at number 1.

I went to that gig too. At the time, I couldn't understand all the fuss about UB40. I thought they were boring.

I think that was the first time I went to the Top Rank. Still only 14.

MacAdder
15-12-21, 12:32
I was at that one too.

Can't recall much of the gig but i do remember Pretenders drummer losing what seemed like dozens of drumsticks.

Either he hit them so hard or he didn't grip them properly.

UB40 have never done it for me, boring is the correct word I think.

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-12-21, 12:53
I was at that one too.

Can't recall much of the gig but i do remember Pretenders drummer losing what seemed like dozens of drumsticks.

Either he hit them so hard or he didn't grip them properly.

UB40 have never done it for me, boring is the correct word I think.

Selecter , two tone , enjoyed that

Not a fan of UB40 or reggae really apart from some of the heavy stuff like culture

Rjk
15-12-21, 13:02
urusai yatsura and "A" were both Excellent support acts.

life on mars
15-12-21, 13:16
Saw Midway Still at Glastonbury , 92 if I remember

Quality noise from a rock trio

Indeed so much better than Green Day in my opinion

life on mars
15-12-21, 13:17
Who was fighting ?

Cardiff Aggro

Was it the top Nova Mob lol

Brisbane CCFC
15-12-21, 16:57
I wasn’t a huge fan of Queen until the gig at Wembley in the 80s but liked their older stuff but the concert was incredible. The support acts were The Alarm and INXS who were brilliant. My dad drove me and my mate Snowy if my memory serves me right and it was epic.

I wish I’d seen more gigs in my youth but the rave scene seemed to take over mine and my mates’ time for a few years listening to some dodgy overhyped stuff which I thought was great at the time. I wish I’d seen the likes of Sabbath, The Stones, The Stone Roses and Talking Heads.

Brisbane CCFC
15-12-21, 16:58
Saw The Cure opening for Siouxsie and The Banshees at Sophia Gardens in 1979. Was literally the 2nd gig I ever went to.

Epic! That must have been incredible.

ToTaL ITK
15-12-21, 17:51

lively outside aswell

saw them years ago there were probably 10 people at the gig...it went downhill from there:hehe:

theclaw
15-12-21, 19:21
Budgie supporting Ozzy

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-12-21, 19:53
I wasn’t a huge fan of Queen until the gig at Wembley in the 80s but liked their older stuff but the concert was incredible. The support acts were The Alarm and INXS who were brilliant. My dad drove me and my mate Snowy if my memory serves me right and it was epic.

I wish I’d seen more gigs in my youth but the rave scene seemed to take over mine and my mates’ time for a few years listening to some dodgy overhyped stuff which I thought was great at the time. I wish I’d seen the likes of Sabbath, The Stones, The Stone Roses and Talking Heads.

I saw Sabbath

Flipping incredible band

willo1927
15-12-21, 22:00
I was at the Slade Gig and it stood out for me because the support made it big , especially lizzy.,
Lizzy played their new single " Whiskey in jar " , and quatro played " can the can " .
A sexy guitar playing woman with her leather zip up suit was unusual at the time, and welcome for a young teenager .

Watched the documentary on Phil Lynott last week and was amazed to find out that Midge Ure stepped in to play guitar on their American tour when Gary Moore quit half way through.
Never knew he played in Thin Lizzy

RichardM
15-12-21, 22:14
Went to see Nils Lofgren in the Capitol Theatre in the 70’s. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers we’re the support band. You just knew this band were going to be huge. Big mistake to put them as support with Nils Lofgren . Felt sorry for him when he came on. No way was he going to match the previous 45 minutes. Went. To Buffalo Records the next day to buy TP and the Heartbreakers debut album. Best £1.99 I ever spent. Still got the album.

I saw them both at Knebworth sometime in the 70s. Tom Petty was outstanding.

RichardM
15-12-21, 22:16
I went to that gig too. At the time, I couldn't understand all the fuss about UB40. I thought they were boring.

I saw UB40 about 1990 at the NEC in Birmingham, they were awful.
I saw the Pretenders much more recently at St David's Hall, not the same band as they were back then, but still good.

RichardM
15-12-21, 22:18
Watched the documentary on Phil Lynott last week and was amazed to find out that Midge Ure stepped in to play guitar on their American tour when Gary Moore quit half way through.
Never knew he played in Thin Lizzy

Did you know that he was in a crap boy band from Glasgow called Slik in the mid 70s?

Dorcus
15-12-21, 22:26
Anvil supporting Motorhead 1983 , St David's Hall

Anvil were hilarious and very heavy

Yes saw it and agree

tricks
15-12-21, 23:27
Happy Mondays supported James at the Ritz in Mcr. God knows when. The place was rocking for the Mondays . Great gig.

life on mars
16-12-21, 00:28

Oooooh I can still see that tight leather zipped up suit ,ooooh .

Slade were very loud that night.

SLUDGE FACTORY
16-12-21, 06:07
Clutch supporting Motorhead , Cardiff

Clutch are a fantastic band

Motorhead were very loud as usual but Clutch took em to the cleaners

SLUDGE FACTORY
16-12-21, 06:08
Yes saw it and agree

Motorhead were poor that night , never the same after fast Eddie left

SLUDGE FACTORY
16-12-21, 06:09
Did you know that he was in a crap boy band from Glasgow called Slik in the mid 70s?

Lizzy by the time midge ure was in the ranks were done

SLUDGE FACTORY
16-12-21, 06:10
Happy Mondays supported James at the Ritz in Mcr. God knows when. The place was rocking for the Mondays . Great gig.

Mr Soul '68
16-12-21, 08:10
By far the best support band I have ever seen was Hanoi Rocks supporting Johnny Thunder, New Ocean Club, Cardiff in October '84. Awesome band who would have made it mega big if it wasn't for the fact that numpty Vince Neil of Mutley Crud drunk drove and killed the bands drummer Razzle in a car crash.

Brisbane CCFC
16-12-21, 16:30
I’m jealous. I bet Ozzy was great in his prime.

Bobby Dandruff
16-12-21, 16:35

But there wasn’t any fuss about them as they were unknowns at the time, not having had any chart success (or releases in fact) :-/

(I don’t like reggae either but I remember them only because it was my first gig I suspect)

willo1927
16-12-21, 21:00
Never heard of them but knew he was in Visage before Ultravox

The Bloop
16-12-21, 21:25
Never heard of them but knew he was in Visage before Ultravox

He was also in Rich Kids with Glenn Matlock and briefly replaced Gary Moore in Thin Lizzy