PDA

View Full Version : City support from the Cardiff area's?

stan butler
16-12-21, 20:40
Back in the 80s and 90s i remember City having a very good following from the Docks , Ely and Llanrumney area's.
Do these places still have a big interest in watching the city?
What other parts of Cardiff follow us in good numbers?

goats
16-12-21, 20:59
Back in the 80s and 90s i remember City having a very good following from the Docks , Ely and Llanrumney area's.

Groups from the areas you mention also had significant issues with each other back then too, you could throw Fairwater/pentrebane into that scenario too.

Fine Lines
16-12-21, 21:05
I moved to Heath 18 months ago. It doesn’t appear to be a hotbed for City fans.

stan butler
16-12-21, 21:09
Groups from the areas you mention also had significant issues with each other back then too, you could throw Fairwater/pentrebane into that scenario too.

Do the docks lot still go?
They had quite a scary following once upon a time..

Tuerto
16-12-21, 21:13
I moved to Heath 18 months ago. It doesn’t appear to be a hotbed for City fans.

Well, i'm just around the corner from you, so there's at least 2 of us :hehe: The Youngers Chippy on Caerphilly Rd is kitted out in City pics etc.The Barbers shop opposite the Birchgrove pub has a City themed stain glass window and a little further north is the butvhers arms in rhiwbina which used to be packed out with City memorabilia. North cardiff is a hotbed :hehe:

goats
16-12-21, 21:14
Do the docks lot still go?
They had quite a scary following once upon a time..

Most are either dead, in jail or banned…..:hehe: I’m sure a few still go but don’t see many of them. A guy I knew from fairwater back in the late 80’s said he stopped going as it was just too much hassle with them.

goats
16-12-21, 21:16
Well, i'm just around the corner from you, so there's at least 2 of us :hehe: The Youngers Chippy on Caerphilly Rd is kitted out in City pics etc.The Barbers shop opposite the Birchgrove pub has a City themed stain glass window and a little further north is the butvhers arms in rhiwbina which used to be packed out with City memorabilia. North cardiff is a hotbed :hehe:

I live in Heath, city fan next door and 4 doors along ( I don’t know anyone past this far anyway )

Tuerto
16-12-21, 21:16
Most are either dead, in jail or banned…..:hehe: I’m sure a few still go but don’t see many of them. A guy I knew from fairwater back in the late 80’s said he stopped going as it was just too much hassle with them.

They'd all be in their 50's now :hehe:

Tuerto
16-12-21, 21:17
I live in Heath, city fan next door and 4 doors along ( I don’t know anyone past this far anyway )

There's a healthy contingent from the flyover up to the deri pub.

goats
16-12-21, 21:20
They'd all be in their 50's now :hehe:

Most about that, I’m not sure most of them went for their love of football so might not be inclined to go the ccs these days!

goats
16-12-21, 21:24
I don’t think we get much support from the people who live in cardiff anyway, we never really have if you consider the city’s population (say 380,000), we dont even get 5%.

bobh
16-12-21, 21:27
I haven't seen any City fans in St Mellons area, apart from my sons (and one of them now lives in Roath)

goats
16-12-21, 21:29
Used to be a healthy contingent from llanishen and Whitchurch

Tuerto
16-12-21, 21:32
I don’t think we get much support from the people who live in cardiff anyway, we never really have if you consider the city’s population (say 380,000), we dont even get 5%.

Seems that way. I work for a large institution that is full to the brim of blokes who would fit the job description of being a city fan. I've not heard one of them mention us.

Tuerto
16-12-21, 21:33
Used to be a healthy contingent from llanishen and Whitchurch

Yup, a good few from Whitchurch. Whitchurch is a football suburb, no doubt about that.

SLUDGE FACTORY
16-12-21, 21:49
Poor support from Cardiff

We are lucky CCFC has a big catchment area or things would be even worse

Barry , Bridgend , Maesteg , Porthcawl , Caerphilly, Pontypridd , The Valleys

Porthcawl has loads of Cardiff City fans

A lot of Cardiffs feeder towns have a real affinity for the football club

Sadly I don't think that's mirrored by the population locally

Now of course we are not a very successful club but there just doesn't seem to be that pride in coming from Cardiff that Swansea people have for example

Maybe it's just my take on things but if a small town like Porthcawl can regularly arrange coaches for away matches then you have to ask why most of the suburbs of Cardiff don't have a pub or social club or supporters branches ?

There are websites for Porthcawl , Maesteg supporters , I don't know of a Grangetown , Canton or Roath branch ?

I have always found that a bit odd

But both Liverpool and Man United have coaches going to see them from Cardiff I believe

alfie
16-12-21, 22:00

Back in the 70's there was a massive contingent from Llanrumney but sadly no interest anymore.

SLUDGE FACTORY
16-12-21, 22:06
Back in the 70's there was a massive contingent from Llanrumney but sadly no interest anymore.

This is the thing I don't understand , we are more successful now , an established second flight team , yet there was more support when we were crap

I don't get it

nomad blue
16-12-21, 22:17
Not sure how anyone can tell unless you define a city fan as someone who walks around with a city top on. Only people who would really know will be those that have access to the ticket/members database.

Trigger
16-12-21, 22:18

Now of course we are not a very successful club but there just doesn't seem to be that pride in coming from Cardiff that Swansea people have for example

Maybe it's just my take on things but if a small town like Porthcawl can regularly arrange coaches for away matches then you have to ask why most of the suburbs of Cardiff don't have a pub or social club or supporters branches ?

There are websites for Porthcawl , Maesteg supporters , I don't know of a Grangetown , Canton or Roath branch ?

But both Liverpool and Man United have coaches going to see them from Cardiff I believe

Do the supporters branches also use it for travel to home games though?

I wouldn't know what I'd do with a Thornhill supporters group. That may just be me though.

Could some of the pride for the club of places further west be in their closer proximity to Swansea. Or maybe in general its that thing of when you are removed (even if not that far) from somewhere you band together with like minded people.

Cardiff absolutely has an awful amount of plastic prem fans and it's a shame we couldn't have been more successful in our past to have attracted more of them in the first place.

Newport is the same on a smaller scale.

SLUDGE FACTORY
16-12-21, 22:21
Do the supporters branches also use it for travel to home games though?

I wouldn't know what I'd do with a Thornhill supporters group. That may just be me though.

Could some of the pride for the club of places further west be in their closer proximity to Swansea. Or maybe in general its that thing of when you are removed (even if not that far) from somewhere you band together with like minded people.

Cardiff absolutely has an awful amount of plastic prem fans and it's a shame we couldn't have been more successful in our past to have attracted more of them in the first place.

Newport is the same on a smaller scale.

The Maesteg and Porthcawl supporters use group transport for home and away games

William Treseder
16-12-21, 22:25
I grew up in Ely, and we had a very big support then, including the famous Millbank mob from lower Ely.
I now live in Canton, where there is still a big interest.

City123
16-12-21, 22:28

Why would there be a Canton branch? You can walk to the ground, there's no need to have any organisation. There's also less need to advertise yourself as a Cardiff fan if you live in the city. It's the same with flags, people from a town outside Cardiff are likely to put that on a flag, whereas you're less likely to put your suburb of Cardiff on there

What do you mean don't have a pub? The Admiral Napier, Canton Cross, Canton Hotel, even the Landsdowne (last time I was there) all have a bunch of Cardiff City memerobilia in there and that's just a small corner of Canton.

Canton68
16-12-21, 22:31

Some are still following City but moved away from Llanrumney

Tuerto
16-12-21, 22:32
Why would there be a Canton branch? You can walk to the ground, there's no need to have any organisation. There's also less need to advertise yourself as a Cardiff fan if you live in the city. It's the same with flags, people from a town outside Cardiff are likely to put that on a flag, whereas you're less likely to put your suburb of Cardiff on there

What do you mean don't have a pub? The Admiral Napier, Canton Cross, Canton Hotel, even the Landsdowne (last time I was there) all have a bunch of Cardiff City memerobilia in there and that's just a small corner of Canton.

Grangetown Supporters club :hehe: Fair play to sludge..

Mario Miethig
16-12-21, 22:45
I grew up in Ely, and we had a very big support then, including the famous Millbank mob from lower Ely.
I now live in Canton, where there is still a big interest.

As an ex Millbank school boy, who’s from just over the border in Canton, what you say is 100% true. Spent a lot of time hanging around with my mates in lower Ely and my early City years were with my Millbank mates. Drifted apart from them in High School so was never involved with their mob after that.

Tuerto
16-12-21, 22:50
Anyone remember the Graffiti that was painted on the road bridge by the maelfa shopping arcade in Llanedeyrn?

'Welcome To Trendy Land'

Top bit of Graffiti but completely inaccurate on every level.

alfie
16-12-21, 22:56
Some are still following City but moved away from Llanrumney

Not many. Im from Llanrumney originally and down the city every week.Well at least the crowd i used to go down with dont bother.

MOZZER2
16-12-21, 23:08

agree alfie a very healthy following back in the day from east Kairdiff ( rumney , llanrumney and trowbridge too ) st mellons was an overspill back then :hehe:

my first away day in 1979/80 swindon away had a couple of coaches from that area gave me a rude awakening -lol

Rock_Flock_of_Five
16-12-21, 23:37
agree alfie a very healthy following back in the day from east Kairdiff ( rumney , llanrumney and trowbridge too ) st mellons was an overspill back then :hehe:

my first away day in 1979/80 swindon away had a couple of coaches from that area gave me a rude awakening -lol

The Carpenter's Arms, Rumney, always had a healthy contingent of City fans.

19bluebirds27
17-12-21, 00:35
The Carpenter's Arms, Rumney, always had a healthy contingent of City fans.

Quite a few of the Llanrumney boys drank in there.
Sadly the pub is no more.

NYCBlue
17-12-21, 00:42

Take any city whose team doesn't routinely sell out games, are they getting 5%?

the other bob wilson
17-12-21, 04:34
Not sure how anyone can tell unless you define a city fan as someone who walks around with a city top on. Only people who would really know will be those that have access to the ticket/members database.

:thumbup:

UNDERHILL1927
17-12-21, 05:34
Originally from Ely where there was a good following. Now in Heath and a decent following here I'd say although the train isn't overly packed on the way to matches

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 07:31

Well having a few programmes framed on the wall in a pub near the ground frequented on match days is not really the same

I mean people can argue the toss all day that Cardiff has good support from Cardiff itself but that's being in denial .

CCFC has always had a good following from outside the city limits , its in Cardiff where the support is lacking . Its woefully embarrassing to see man United and Liverpool tops around Canton on match day .

You wouldn't see that in a proper football city

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 07:36
Take any city whose team doesn't routinely sell out games, are they getting 5%?

Swansea City's crowds are similar to ours this season .

There is no doubt at all that a far higher percentage of locals support Swansea City than Cardiffians support Cardiff

I think we have our hard-core but unless the team is winning people just can't be bothered unless it's for the big games

Even without our catchment area Cardiff has a big enough population to get far bigger gates

Packerman
17-12-21, 07:46
Well having a few programmes framed on the wall in a pub near the ground frequented on match days is not really the same

I mean people can argue the toss all day that Cardiff has good support from Cardiff itself but that's being in denial .

CCFC has always had a good following from outside the city limits , its in Cardiff where the support is lacking . Its woefully embarrassing to see man United and Liverpool tops around Canton on match day .

talking bollux as usual Ipswich is a proper football town but you do see Premier league tops being worn around the town on any day its NOT a Cardiff only thing despite you always trying to promote that fiction

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 07:54
talking bollux as usual Ipswich is a proper football town but you do see Premier league tops being worn around the town on any day its NOT a Cardiff only thing despite you always trying to promote that fiction

In denial again

You might get Premier League tops in towns like Ipswich but Cardiff is flooded with them

Ipswich is a small place where the locals support their club . Here they have to be dragged to the ground . I am afraid that's the way it's always been . You can stamp your feet as much as you like but this is the problem we have always had . Blame it on lack of success , blame it on Cardiff having lots of other things to do , blame it on the Premier league but the support this club gets from Cardiff is not good enough .

Trigger
17-12-21, 08:29
In denial again

You might get Premier League tops in towns like Ipswich but Cardiff is flooded with them

Ipswich is a small place where the locals support their club . Here they have to be dragged to the ground . I am afraid that's the way it's always been . You can stamp your feet as much as you like but this is the problem we have always had . Blame it on lack of success , blame it on Cardiff having lots of other things to do , blame it on the Premier league but the support this club gets from Cardiff is not good enough .

I'm just not sure it's that much different to anywhere else other than a few places maybe.

Most towns and cities have fairweather fans, most have people that enjoy other things on offer.

There are actual real life Man United fans who are born and bred in London, it's a weird world.

On the football shirt thing it's a funny thing, I've not bought or had one for nearly 20 years now. My man United supporting mate buys one every season and gets their latest player on the back. Then watches them on the tele. The shirt is how he shows his support.

Having known him for years I'm quite certain he would only ever go to see us regularly if we were a big club challenging for things. If he was born in London at the same time he'd probably be a cockney red.

People like that must be everywhere and they may as well be into ball room dancing for all it matters to the club.

Kind of Blue
17-12-21, 08:33
I’ve been living in London for nearly a decade now and one thing I’ve experienced in work and my social life here that’s surprised me is how few “plastics” (I don’t care much for that term but it’s shorthand that’s understood) I’ve come across. In the minority of football fans I’ve got to spend any time with.

Nearly everyone I’ve met that’s a football fan supports a club from either the city/town/area they grew up in or it was where one of their parents were from and passed it on. Smaller sample size of course but very different to my experience of living in South Wales.

goats
17-12-21, 08:38
In denial again

Not often I agree with a lefty but he’s right…..shocking support from the city itself, a smattering all over the suburbs but you can go into the city centre which will be packed with most oblivious ccfc are even playing. The West Country is similar to wales in that it has lots of glory boys too

Jamsarnie
17-12-21, 08:48

I would expect the ticket/members database to have the address / postcode of everybody that has bought a ticket over at least the past five+ years. Don’t you need to give an address to purchase a ticket these days?

I’d love to see a heat map of South Wales showing where the core numbers for season tickets and memberships are, and things like STs per population of each postal area… at least we’d get some insight then, like where the club needs to do some work to attract support. It’s very easy to do. :shrug:

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 09:19
I would expect the ticket/members database to have the address / postcode of everybody that has bought a ticket over at least the past five+ years. Don’t you need to give an address to purchase a ticket these days?

I’d love to see a heat map of South Wales showing where the core numbers for season tickets and memberships are, and things like STs per population of each postal area… at least we’d get some insight then, like where the club needs to do some work to attract support. It’s very easy to do. :shrug:

The club are not going to do that , it's far too simple

One thing that surprised me was that something like 75 percent on man United season ticket holders came from greater Manchester according to their database ?

ken smith
17-12-21, 09:41

One thing that surprised me was that something like 75 percent on man United season ticket holders came from greater Manchester according to their database ?

Why does that surprise you?

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 09:45
Why does that surprise you?

Because United and Liverpool have such a countrywide support , I thought the locals would be squeezed out

Maybe they are and it's just rich locals

ken smith
17-12-21, 09:52
THeyve always been the best supported team in England though, even prior to Premier League when they weren't very good (relatively speaking).

The population is just under 3million people and pretty much everyone supports either them or Man City. The season ticket prices are not that expensive and the countrywide support are in the main TV watchers.

I do agree with you on the other points you've made about how shite the support from Cardiff is in general though.

Toadstool
17-12-21, 10:14
Doncaster, Sunderland, Leicester & Coventry are similar sizes to Cardiff but the football followings seem to be dramatically different.

Hilts
17-12-21, 10:20
Doncaster, Sunderland, Leicester & Coventry are similar sizes to Cardiff but the football followings seem to be dramatically different.

The advantage we have over Docaster Leicester and Coventry is the catchment areas. Those clubs have areas outside of the City who have a choice of clubs. The Valleys with us provides a significant percentage of our support.

City123
17-12-21, 10:22

In denial? You're the one convinced people in Canton don't support Cardiff because they don't have a supporter's club to take them to games :hehe: :hehe:

The truth is you have nothing to back up what you're saying and you're pedalling the same old crap about Cardiff that you always do. Every city in Britain have people who support the big PL teams, Cardiff is no different.

Of course Cardiff does draw support from outside the city, but it does from inside it too

WJ99mobile
17-12-21, 10:23
This is the thing I don't understand , we are more successful now , an established second flight team , yet there was more support when we were crap

I don't get it

Combination of things -

My opinion is people are suckered into an identity regardless of the success

Went to Newcastle away once, it's night and day in terms of support. Everything was geared towards being Geordie and a toon supporter - shirts were worn with pride everywhere. They also don't have a hotbed of Liverpool/Man Utd etc supporters because they've always had some level of success, nor do they compete with rugby.

It's more difficult here in Cardiff, but we can do more

dembethewarrior
17-12-21, 10:32
I haven't seen any City fans in St Mellons area, apart from my sons (and one of them now lives in Roath)

I know a couple from there :thumbup:

Hilts
17-12-21, 10:34
The Monday morning after wed lost to Liverpool in the Carling Cup I dropped my Daughter off to her primary school. Some absolute w@nker had sent his kid into school in a Liverpool top.

What a pr!ck.

dembethewarrior
17-12-21, 10:34

Again..know fans from this area.

Not all of them walk around with flags and tips on :thumbup:

Fine Lines
17-12-21, 10:35

Ha yes forgot about Youngers chippy. Forgot about that !

dembethewarrior
17-12-21, 11:06

Claps and claps.

Don't bother though, you won't beat him in an argument because he refuses to give an inch.

NYCBlue
17-12-21, 11:28
I’ve been living in London for nearly a decade now and one thing I’ve experienced in work and my social life here that’s surprised me is how few “plastics” (I don’t care much for that term but it’s shorthand that’s understood) I’ve come across. In the minority of football fans I’ve got to spend any time with.

Nearly everyone I’ve met that’s a football fan supports a club from either the city/town/area they grew up in or it was where one of their parents were from and passed it on. Smaller sample size of course but very different to my experience of living in South Wales.

London has 6 EPL clubs. 3 of them are amongst the biggest clubs in the country and the 4th is not too far behind. How many Brentford, QPR, Orient or Wimbledon fans have you met?

198bore
17-12-21, 11:46
I was up in Sunderland recently and it was evident how much the football club meant to the whole city. Shirts everywhere and memorabilia in a lot of shops and pubs. It has a smaller population than Cardiff and a large rival up the road but maintains a diehard supporter base despite a struggling team.

Always felt like the stadium being in Canton was a factor for people in east Cardiff as it's awkward to get to. Imagine if we had the Arms Park; the walk up crowd on a Saturday would be huge!

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 11:49
In denial? You're the one convinced people in Canton don't support Cardiff because they don't have a supporter's club to take them to games :hehe: :hehe:

The truth is you have nothing to back up what you're saying and you're pedalling the same old crap about Cardiff that you always do. Every city in Britain have people who support the big PL teams, Cardiff is no different.

Of course Cardiff does draw support from outside the city, but it does from inside it too

I live in CF11 top of Penarth Road/Riverside, 10 mins from The Grange so pretty close to CCS. Me and Mrs. C walk to matches and there are masses of local supporters. We don't see many CCFC shirt wearers ( I own one but never wear it). We don't see many scarves but usually, there's the odd hat that's years old and worn (as in distressed). If you catch a No2 Dumballs Road bus you'll even see/meet people from The Bay going to games (shock horror). Lots of students from Grangetown and Canton go in small groups. They don't wear Cardiff tops.

It's utter bollux that we don't get a local following and yes, it's a complete myth that we're all wearing plastic tops in the city. Of course, there're no f*ckn supporters clubs from Grangetown. The club is, well, the supporters club.

I used to wear an old battered 99 baseball cap when I was more mobile and cycled around Cardiff (sadly, something I can no longer do) and would get loads of thumbs up, comments, 'great hat' remarks from all kinds of people around the city who recognised the significance of the 99.

There's no doubting the massive support outside of the city but there's a huge very local support too. I'd argue that the club just doesn't do enough to welcome asian and muslim locals. Something Yousef was trying to do when he organsied the mural near Bute Street. The club is bloody useless when it comes to trying to attract a more diverse supporter base and there are lots of local lads who would go if they felt more welcome.

Just because we're not wearing replica CCFC shirts doesn't mean we don't exist!

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 11:52

BTW, I was agreeing with you!

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 11:54
Again..know fans from this area.

Not all of them walk around with flags and tops on :thumbup:

Exactly.

NYCBlue
17-12-21, 11:58
I live in CF11 top of Penarth Road/Riverside, 10 mins from The Grange so pretty close to CCS. Me and Mrs. C walk to matches and there are masses of local supporters. We don't see many CCFC shirt wearers ( I own one but never wear it). We don't see many scarves but usually, there's the odd hat that's years old and worn (as in distressed). If you catch a No2 Dumballs Road bus you'll even see/meet people from The Bay going to games (shock horror). Lots of students from Grangetown and Canton go in small groups. They don't wear Cardiff tops.

It's utter bollux that we don't get a local following and yes, it's a complete myth that we're all wearing plastic tops in the city. Of course, there're no f*ckn supporters clubs from Grangetown. The club is, well, the supporters club.

I used to wear an old battered 99 baseball cap when I was more mobile and cycled around Cardiff (sadly, something I can no longer do) and would get loads of thumbs up, comments, 'great hat' remarks from all kinds of people around the city who recognised the significance of the 99.

There's no doubting the massive support outside of the city but there's a huge very local support too. I'd argue that the club just doesn't do enough to welcome asian and muslim locals. Something Yousef was trying to do when he organsied the mural near Bute Street. The club is bloody useless when it comes to trying to attract a more diverse supporter base and there are lots of local lads who would go if they felt more welcome.

:thumbup:

Taunton Blue Genie
17-12-21, 11:58

There's nothing more fetching than seeing pot-bellied men in their fifties shoe-horned into football tops that are designed for much fitter specimens.

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 12:05
There's nothing more fetching than seeing pot-bellied men in their fifties shoe-horned into football tops that are designed for much fitter specimens.

You trying to say I is not looking fit like!?!

goats
17-12-21, 12:19

I’ve always found it bizarre that the club seem hell bent on attracting more support from the valleys when they have about half a million people who live within 15 miles who never go and they fail to entice…..

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 12:24

Firstly that's not what I said

Secondly it's long been said that CCFC would be struggling if it wasn't for the support from the valleys , Bridgend, Barry etc

And it's been said for a long time because it's true

Cardiff based ccfc fans are either the type that know this to be true or live in denial

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 12:25
I’ve always found it bizarre that the club seem hell bent on attracting more support from the valleys when they have about half a million people who live within 15 miles who never go and they fail to entice…..

Exactly this. They/we don't do enough. I speak to lots of locals who would never think of going because they don't identify with the club. We have to do more because the local ethnicity even within a 2 or 3-mile radius is totally underrepresented

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 12:28
Claps and claps.

Don't bother though, you won't beat him in an argument because he refuses to give an inch.

Well if you think Cardiff City is represented in South East Wales and particularly in Cardiff in the same way Portsmouth are down that way I will have some of what you are smoking

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 12:32

Huge local support ?

Don't be daft

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 12:33
Firstly that's not what I said

Secondly it's long been said that CCFC would be struggling if it wasn't for the support from the valleys , Bridgend, Barry etc

And it's been said for a long time because it's true

Cardiff based ccfc fans are either the type that know this to be true or live in denial

Or, they may just have a different experience to you. You seem very certain of these things Sludge, I'm not sure why?

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 12:35
BTW, I was agreeing with you!

If you are agreeing with him then I am afraid you are wrong

If we had huge support then we wouldn't be getting the crowds we do

Nottingham Forest
Derby
Portsmouth

Big local support

Not Cardiff City I am afraid

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 12:36
Huge local support ?

Don't be daft

I, know, I'm an idiot, oh wise one. It's not like I live within spitting distance of the ground or anything like that.

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 12:36
Exactly.

They don't go basically

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 12:38
Exactly this. They/we don't do enough. I speak to lots of locals who would never think of going because they don't identify with the club. We have to do more because the local ethnicity even within a 2 or 3-mile radius is totally underrepresented

That's been tried

The club simply play lip service to attracting people of all backgrounds

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 12:39
Or, they may just have a different experience to you. You seem very certain of these things Sludge, I'm not sure why?

Look at our attendances

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 12:44
I, know, I'm an idiot, oh wise one. It's not like I live within spitting distance of the ground or anything like that.

It's a shame that the inner city areas of Cardiff and the rest of the city are not as loyal as you

But if CCFC had a strong local following and was an identity like some other clubs are to their area then things might be different

But they are not

People said when we got back in the championship we have big gates

Well we have had better gates since coming back up but our support is disappointing both within Cardiff and given our huge catchment area

If our local support was better then given the size of Cardiff we would have better gates

It's just the way it is

dembethewarrior
17-12-21, 12:51

Not that surprising.

People still have to commute to games and you'd have to say that is more likely to happen with people living closer.

25 percent of ST traveling from all over the country is still some number.

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 12:56
Not that surprising.

People still have to commute to games and you'd have to say that is more likely to happen with people living closer.

25 percent of ST traveling from all over the country is still some number.

Back in the late 90's when I was living and working in London, I used to go to Highbury with a mate, and the 5 mile ST catchment at the time was something crazy like over 80%. It was a very local club.

City123
17-12-21, 13:01
Look at our attendances
Despite a dreadful season we have the 9th highest average attendance in the league.

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 13:06
It's a shame that the inner city areas of Cardiff and the rest of the city are not as loyal as you

But if CCFC had a strong local following and was an identity like some other clubs are to their area then things might be different

But they are not

People said when we got back in the championship we have big gates

Well we have had better gates since coming back up but our support is disappointing both within Cardiff and given our huge catchment area

If our local support was better then given the size of Cardiff we would have better gates

It's just the way it is

We need to play attractive football first and foremost. We blew two chances in the PL. Gates won't be a problem then. When we were playing Leeds and Villa in the championship back in '17 there were crowds of almost 30K. A hell of a lot of local and Cardiff supporters too. We've always agreed that the club doesn't do enough to attract diversity though. That's where we could increase support by thousands within 2 or 3 miles of the club. I don't know why we haven't got our act togetehr by now.

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 13:10
Despite a dreadful season we have the 9th highest average attendance in the league.

That's pretty impressive considering the Covid factor. We also have great away support too.

logic
17-12-21, 13:22
That's pretty impressive considering the Covid factor. We also have great away support too.

Logic would indicate that if they were consistent, a certain poster will soon turn up and claim that great away support isn't really great due to not being made up of Cardiff based fans, despite having zero evidence for their case.

dembethewarrior
17-12-21, 13:23
Well if you think Cardiff City is represented in South East Wales and particularly in Cardiff in the same way Portsmouth are down that way I will have some of what you are smoking

Show me where I said that.

You can keep what you are smoking.

It is well known on here you won't lose an argument, even sometimes when it os clear you are you are losing one, you turn into the shhouty man who shouts lounder and more frequently than everybody else so win by default...

As you were.

Taunton Blue Genie
17-12-21, 13:39
We in the Taunton Bluebirds Group (aka TBG) hold our meetings in a local phone box and without having to remove the defibrillator or paperbacks. My fellow car-sharer to City games takes the tap end.

Armitage Shanks
17-12-21, 14:16
Birmingham City is a weird one as well.
Second biggest city, but most of those who live in the area support Aston Villa.

There was a suggestion a few years ago that Aston Villa was the be rebranded as Aston Villa Birmingham. As they were the biggest club in Birmingham.

Eric the Half a Bee
17-12-21, 14:21
there just doesn't seem to be that pride in coming from Cardiff that Swansea people have for example

Really? I've always thought Cardiff people have great pride in the city, mirrored by those who come to Cardiff from outside.

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 15:37
Really? I've always thought Cardiff people have great pride in the city, mirrored by those who come to Cardiff from outside.

Well people will come to Cardiff to work and study and end up staying but I don't think that's got anything at all to do with the pride cardiffians have , or don't have , in their city

That's the same for most places

I prefer Cardiff to Bristol but lots of people go there and end up staying

For a city of its size Cardiff has lots to do but I don't get the feeling it's close to its citizens hearts in the same way Newcastle is

The football team , the rugby team , the poor live music scene , its almost as if people can't be arsed

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 15:39
Second biggest city, but most of those who live in the area support Aston Villa.

There was a suggestion a few years ago that Aston Villa was the be rebranded as Aston Villa Birmingham. As they were the biggest club in Birmingham.

Villa are basically the man United of the west Midlands and are disliked by Birmingham, West Brom and wolves fans for the attention they get

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 15:43
Show me where I said that.

You can keep what you are smoking.

It is well known on here you won't lose an argument, even sometimes when it os clear you are you are losing one, you turn into the shhouty man who shouts lounder and more frequently than everybody else so win by default...

As you were.

You have said that as this has been your contribution to this thread . I can only debate with you what you put on the table .

Cardiff City are poorly supported in general and the support from the local population has never been very good .

That's the way it is .

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 15:45
Logic would indicate that if they were consistent, a certain poster will soon turn up and claim that great away support isn't really great due to not being made up of Cardiff based fans, despite having zero evidence for their case.

Our away support is great so I have to disagree with you there

insider
17-12-21, 16:02
Being from CF5 here's my take on it.
In Cardiff we have a City divided by sport football and rugby.
I'm obviously football and find as soon as you go over Canton bridge into town as a Cardiff City fan there are many places you are not welcome ridiculous in your own city.
Also I think many, not all, Cardiff blues/Rugby fans hate us so won't cross the divide and so it's easier to be a plastic Manu or Liverpool fan.
We've always had a decent support from Ely and some of the older heads I know say when we were really shit Cardiff was the predominant support for the club.

goats
17-12-21, 16:14
I'm obviously football and find as soon as you go over Canton bridge into town as a Cardiff City fan there are many places you are not welcome ridiculous in your own city.
Also I think many, not all, Cardiff blues/Rugby fans hate us so won't cross the divide and so it's easier to be a plastic Manu or Liverpool fan.
We've always had a decent support from Ely and some of the older heads I know say when we were really shit Cardiff was the predominant support for the club.

I don’t think cardiff blues are our competition in any way at all. They seem to attract older people from what I’ve seen. They pull about 5000?

insider
17-12-21, 16:53
I don’t think cardiff blues are our competition in any way at all. They seem to attract older people from what I’ve seen. They pull about 5000?
Cardiff blues /Rugby
You know Welsh Rugby top on on a Saturday Manu/Liverpool top on on a Super Sunday

Tuerto
17-12-21, 17:21
Cardiff blues /Rugby
You know Welsh Rugby top on on a Saturday Manu/Liverpool top on on a Super Sunday

I understand the point you are making. It does seem that plenty of people who live in the city don't identify with it in the same way that a person from swansea might identify with their City. It could be down to Cardiff being a capital city, more pressure to dilute the actual culture of the city in order to dhow a more representation towards Wales, especially over the past 20 years or so, maybe since the birth of the senedd. Who knows.

Tuerto
17-12-21, 18:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzMIgg0tXT0

These Boys are representing, Sludge :hehe:

Tuerto
17-12-21, 18:26

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 18:29

For real bruh!

Tuerto
17-12-21, 18:34
For real bruh!

I enjoyed it, especially the lads from Barry :hehe:

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 18:38
I understand the point you are making. It does seem that plenty of people who live in the city don't identify with it in the same way that a person from swansea might identify with their City. It could be down to Cardiff being a capital city, more pressure to dilute the actual culture of the city in order to dhow a more representation towards Wales, especially over the past 20 years or so, maybe since the birth of the senedd. Who knows.

It can't be overestimated just how much our violent fan base had in alienating CCFC in the city though. It was massive. During the 80's the old Cardiff Rugby Club was well supported and was felt like a 'safe' place to go for anyone. You could only get international rugby tickets if you were a member of a club (in fact when I was a nipper most people who went to the rugby were members or played). We were a nightmare and disliked. This has been hard to shrug off but it's happening. I speak to cabbies who still think we kick the sh*t out of each other on a Saturday!

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 18:39
I enjoyed it, especially the lads from Barry :hehe:

Me too!:xmasthumbup::xmasthumbup:

The Bloop
17-12-21, 19:10

Is this you looking in the mirror just before leaving the house on a matchday 🙂

Edit - just remembered that you're in your 60s

splott parker
17-12-21, 19:23
You should only wear the football top of your era.......I’m currently on the settee in a chocolate & amber number.

Tuerto
17-12-21, 19:25
You should only wear the football top of your era.......I’m currently on the settee in a chocolate & amber number.

That sounds so very wrong.

blue matt
17-12-21, 19:27
It can't be overestimated just how much our violent fan base had in alienating CCFC in the city though. It was massive. We were a nightmare and disliked. This has been hard to shrug off but it's happening. I speak to cabbies who still think we kick the sh*t out of each other on a Saturday!

I agree, it was a nightmare, it was bloody good fun though :xmasthumbup:

life on mars
17-12-21, 19:33

We Llanrumney boys was always there still are..

Fight anyone .

goats
17-12-21, 19:43
It can't be overestimated just how much our violent fan base had in alienating CCFC in the city though. It was massive. During the 80's the old Cardiff Rugby Club was well supported and was felt like a 'safe' place to go for anyone. You could only get international rugby tickets if you were a member of a club (in fact when I was a nipper most people who went to the rugby were members or played). We were a nightmare and disliked. This has been hard to shrug off but it's happening. I speak to cabbies who still think we kick the sh*t out of each other on a Saturday!

Like alluded to at the start of this thread, those nutters seemed to be our main core of support when I started going, 1987 time. Large gangs from different suburbs ( the docks, Ely, llanrumney, llanishen, Whitchurch ) and lots of trouble as a result. A lot of this agro disappeared in the rave years replacing the huge gang fights that regularly used to take place on the weekend in town at 2am.
I think our fan base has widened around wales since but not so much in the capital itself. Being quite cosmopolitan and having lots of students, English folk and Europeans maybe there’s no natural instinct to go and follow us.

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 19:46

Well my experience , especially away from home in the first time in the old fourth division that for many trips we would have about 250 away fans and 3 coaches , about 150 , would come from Bridgend , Barry and Pontypridd

Two coaches were run by Mike Lambert , originally from Aberdare then Bridgend , Mike Pearce from Barry and the third coach was valleys run by roy and mair daniel from Pontypridd.

And these coaches would all meet at ninian Park and they would be full of fans from outside Cardiff before they got there

For most of the games that was it , about 3 coaches , most of the people on them from outside Cardiff. On our coach we would often have a group of lads from port Talbot and Porthcawl.

I think it's fair to say our away fans then , as now we're very loyal to ccfc and most of them were not from Cardiff

There are loyal fans from Cardiff it's just that as with our crowds, there are not enough of them . Far too many people from this part of the world find excuses not to get behind CCFC . Tony Clemo might not have been everybody's favourite chairman but he said as much many years ago .

life on mars
17-12-21, 19:47
Like alluded to at the start of this thread, those nutters seemed to be our main core of support when I started going, 1987 time. Large gangs from different suburbs ( the docks, Ely, llanrumney, llanishen, Whitchurch ) and lots of trouble as a result. A lot of this agro disappeared in the rave years replacing the huge gang fights that regularly used to take place on the weekend in town at 2am.
I think our fan base has widened around wales since but not so much in the capital itself. Being quite cosmopolitan and having lots of students, English folk and Europeans maybe there’s no natural instinct to go and follow us.

My young life was connected to so much conflict , in the playground, streets, between estates, football , police ,school it was everywhere, we go to the City games in groups looking for a rubble with anyone??

cyril evans awaydays
17-12-21, 20:01
My young life was connected to so much conflict , in the playground, streets, between estates, football , police ,school it was everywhere, we go to the City games in groups looking for a rubble with anyone??

Rubble... Barney...Rhyming Slang?

splott parker
17-12-21, 20:09
Rubble... Barney...Rhyming Slang?

Betty never!

Taunton Blue Genie
17-12-21, 20:10
Is this you looking in the mirror just before leaving the house on a matchday ��

Edit - just remembered that you're in your 60s

I have many problems but I don't wear football shirts as match-going apparel, old fruit :-)

Taunton Blue Genie
17-12-21, 20:12

Didn't anyone cut you any slack? Or were you hard core? It must have taken some grit.

splott parker
17-12-21, 20:23

“Stone me” as Anthony Aloysius would say:xmashehe:

Citizen's Nephew
17-12-21, 21:15

I think it's really interesting and we all have different experiences. Reading the thread and seeing the vid that Tuerto posted, Sludges comments, and my own experience living where I do, there are a few things that have sprung to mind.

For me, following The City has always been about it being Cardiff but maybe that dynamic has/is changing a lot. What am I trying to say? When I go to watch Wales, then that's Welsh football for me. When I go and watch the Cymru Premier, that's Welsh football too. When I go and watch us, it's Cardiff (this is my personal feeling I'm not trying to say it's right or wrong). I had a discussion recently about this (can't remember the thread) and it got a bit confused becasue I raised this issue of us playing in the EFL. I know the history and everything but do people think that this has become more confusing as the years have gone on (not suggesting I want us to be out of the EFL I'm just raising issues of identity here). There are lots of English people I've spoken to or taken to matches over the years who have been put off by anti-English chants or even the 'Welshness' of our club and didn't feel connected.

I'm not trying to stir anything up but I do think we are a confusing club for a lot of football people and wonder if this is a good or bad thing? I think for a lot of support outside of the city it's about a Welsh club, in the city, there's probably a mix (as I said, I never really feel connected as a Welsh club but that's just me). I'm just chucking this stuff out there as part of the discussion not to start any arguments. I find it interesting.

goats
17-12-21, 21:48

Not seen that before….:xmasayatollah:
Not sure what sludge is on about with regard to away games, lots of cardiff boys always there we usually went in the train. Hardly ever in a coach….that was for old people:xmashehe:

blue matt
17-12-21, 22:15
lots of cardiff boys always there we usually went in the train. Hardly ever in a coach….that was for old people:xmashehe:

Train was were it was at :xmasthumbup: 1st train out of central, always gave you plenty of time to get anywhere for a 3pm KO

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 22:29
I think it's really interesting and we all have different experiences. Reading the thread and seeing the vid that Tuerto posted, Sludges comments, and my own experience living where I do, there are a few things that have sprung to mind.

For me, following The City has always been about it being Cardiff but maybe that dynamic has/is changing a lot. What am I trying to say? When I go to watch Wales, then that's Welsh football for me. When I go and watch the Cymru Premier, that's Welsh football too. When I go and watch us, it's Cardiff (this is my personal feeling I'm not trying to say it's right or wrong). I had a discussion recently about this (can't remember the thread) and it got a bit confused becasue I raised this issue of us playing in the EFL. I know the history and everything but do people think that this has become more confusing as the years have gone on (not suggesting I want us to be out of the EFL I'm just raising issues of identity here). There are lots of English people I've spoken to or taken to matches over the years who have been put off by anti-English chants or even the 'Welshness' of our club and didn't feel connected.

I'm not trying to stir anything up but I do think we are a confusing club for a lot of football people and wonder if this is a good or bad thing? I think for a lot of support outside of the city it's about a Welsh club, in the city, there's probably a mix (as I said, I never really feel connected as a Welsh club but that's just me). I'm just chucking this stuff out there as part of the discussion not to start any arguments. I find it interesting.

English mates of mine from college days loved coming to watch Cardiff with me up north

They were all fans of the big clubs and actually went to watch them but said watching cardiff was a bizarre experience and they loved it

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 22:33
Not sure what sludge is on about with regard to away games, lots of cardiff boys always there we usually went in the train. Hardly ever in a coach….that was for old people:xmashehe:

Not up north in places like Rochdale, Bury , Doncaster

A few might have gone by train but most fans went by coach

Apart from the bigger games our following was only a couple of hundred in the dungeon

Of course we would take loads to Hereford or a big cup game by train but for normal games we would have about 20 or 30 on the train and I know that because I was living up north at the time and travelled by train and would join the escort to get back to the station

SLUDGE FACTORY
17-12-21, 22:39
Train was were it was at :xmasthumbup: 1st train out of central, always gave you plenty of time to get anywhere for a 3pm KO

Train was fine for Hereford or Exeter but when we had 250 up at Rotherham to get trounced 3 nil there certainly were not loads on the train

We played Bury on a Saturday in 1989 , May , took mates from college , there were 300 there if we were being kind , coaches , cars and minibuses , 50 on the train ? .....I Dont remember a big escort back to Manchester Victoria Station

Kind of Blue
17-12-21, 22:54
London has 6 EPL clubs. 3 of them are amongst the biggest clubs in the country and the 4th is not too far behind. How many Brentford, QPR, Orient or Wimbledon fans have you met?

I should have been clearer, I meant people from other parts of the UK that have moved to London - which is the majority of people I know in London generally.

But in terms of the London clubs you’ve named, I’ve met an Orient and a QPR fan. No Wimbledon, I worked with someone that was from there but followed Brighton (family). I had family here that followed Brentford but don’t think that counts.

az city
18-12-21, 04:25
Well my experience , especially away from home in the first time in the old fourth division that for many trips we would have about 250 away fans and 3 coaches , about 150 , would come from Bridgend , Barry and Pontypridd

Two coaches were run by Mike Lambert , originally from Aberdare then Bridgend , Mike Pearce from Barry and the third coach was valleys run by roy and mair daniel from Pontypridd.

And these coaches would all meet at ninian Park and they would be full of fans from outside Cardiff before they got there

For most of the games that was it , about 3 coaches , most of the people on them from outside Cardiff. On our coach we would often have a group of lads from port Talbot and Porthcawl.

I think it's fair to say our away fans then , as now we're very loyal to ccfc and most of them were not from Cardiff

There are loyal fans from Cardiff it's just that as with our crowds, there are not enough of them . Far too many people from this part of the world find excuses not to get behind CCFC . Tony Clemo might not have been everybody's favourite chairman but he said as much many years ago .

Mike Pearce!!!! Haven't heard of him for absolutely years. Anyone know how he's doing in Scotland?

goats
18-12-21, 07:54
Not up north in places like Rochdale, Bury , Doncaster

A few might have gone by train but most fans went by coach

Apart from the bigger games our following was only a couple of hundred in the dungeon

Of course we would take loads to Hereford or a big cup game by train but for normal games we would have about 20 or 30 on the train and I know that because I was living up north at the time and travelled by train and would join the escort to get back to the station

Up north is always different, I dont think we took loads ever. Coaches are easier but I recall going on them to places like Blackpool, Peterborough, tranmere…..

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-12-21, 09:13
Mike Pearce!!!! Haven't heard of him for absolutely years. Anyone know how he's doing in Scotland?

I don't even know if he is still with us ?

Mike Lambert is in the far East, swigging cocktails I believe

Stanmore Bluebird
18-12-21, 09:13
The other board always suggest in various threads that the City took many more than the 200 suggested above to places like Hartlepool, Bury in the dungeon years, etc etc. Is this just their imagination?

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-12-21, 09:14
Up north is always different, I dont think we took loads ever. Coaches are easier but I recall going on them to places like Blackpool, Peterborough, tranmere…..

Blackpool , bedlam up there , even before CCFC turned up , then it got worse

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-12-21, 09:23
The other board always suggest in various threads that the City took many more than the 200 suggested above to places like Hartlepool, Bury in the dungeon years, etc etc. Is this just their imagination?

Yes

We took about 600 to our first away in the old fourth to hartlepool but it soon dwindled

In 1986 I was living in Manchester, went to see CCFC v Bury and we had no more than 150 fans

In the late eighties we got relegated at Bury , losing 2 nil and took 2000 fans but it was a do or die game and of course any fairly big club would take a decent support , Bristol Rovers , Plymouth , Stoke etc

We could always get big support for the important games but this idea we were followed by thousands away week in week out is a myth

We played Scarborough in April 1993 in our promotion season . We took 500 .

But a week later played the league leaders York in a crunch match so we had 2000 there

Like our home support our away support has always been up and down

That was then however , it's excellent now

chrisp_1927
18-12-21, 12:06
I think the digs at Cardiff rugby are a bit unfair. I've got a season ticket for the rugby and also manage at least 50% of city's games home and away.

Cardiff rugby don't get great crowds, that is true. The crowd they do get is nothing like the Welsh international type though. It's a decent set of fans who are passionate about their team. There's not much of that hymn singing crap and lots of shouting. Certainly don't think your average Cardiff rugby fan would have any bad feelings towards Cardiff City.

goats
18-12-21, 12:34
I think the digs at Cardiff rugby are a bit unfair. I've got a season ticket for the rugby and also manage at least 50% of city's games home and away.

Cardiff rugby don't get great crowds, that is true. The crowd they do get is nothing like the Welsh international type though. It's a decent set of fans who are passionate about their team. There's not much of that hymn singing crap and lots of shouting. Certainly don't think your average Cardiff rugby fan would have any bad feelings towards Cardiff City.

Yeah very different to the 6 nations crowd (drunk middle aged women mainly these days), they attend club matches and probably know the rules. You get the feeling Welsh National team crowds all go to games also….proper fans.

splott parker
18-12-21, 12:43

Old mate of mine from Splott, massive CRFC fan, actually wasn’t struck on the ‘Blues’ franchise and gave up attending Wales games years ago.

goats
18-12-21, 12:56
Blackpool , bedlam up there , even before CCFC turned up , then it got worse

Yeah last time I went to Blackpool (1989) our mini bus didn’t show up by empire pool, the loony bus swung by (mainly croesy and the docks crew) and we were left with little choice to get on as they needed bodies to fill their coach. I did feel fortunate to get home that day, the coach was half empty on the way back and mainly full of stolen clothes…..

chrisp_1927
18-12-21, 13:35
Old mate of mine from Splott, massive CRFC fan, actually wasn’t struck on the ‘Blues’ franchise and gave up attending Wales games years ago.

I think the way the regions were pushed through alienated a lot of people. Especially the way that teams like ponty were completely stitched up. Completely off topic, but I always thought ponty rfc should have told the wru where to go and joined the English leagues. With their fanbase and player production , they'd have probably had a fair chance of getting to the premiership and being the biggest rugby side in Wales.

dembethewarrior
18-12-21, 14:09
I think the way the regions were pushed through alienated a lot of people. Especially the way that teams like ponty were completely stitched up. Completely off topic, but I always thought ponty rfc should have told the wru where to go and joined the English leagues. With their fanbase and player production , they'd have probably had a fair chance of getting to the premiership and being the biggest rugby side in Wales.

They completely ****ed up where ponty were concerned. Conveyor belt of players in the valleys and the fan base for a good level team.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
18-12-21, 15:07
They completely ****ed up where ponty were concerned. Conveyor belt of players in the valleys and the fan base for a good level team.

Pontypridd used to get very big gates. They had a really passionate following. As you say, the WRU really messed that up, thinking Pont supporters would switch to Cardiff Blues.

NYCBlue
18-12-21, 16:19
Yes

We took about 600 to our first away in the old fourth to hartlepool but it soon dwindled

In 1986 I was living in Manchester, went to see CCFC v Bury and we had no more than 150 fans

In the late eighties we got relegated at Bury , losing 2 nil and took 2000 fans but it was a do or die game and of course any fairly big club would take a decent support , Bristol Rovers , Plymouth , Stoke etc

We could always get big support for the important games but this idea we were followed by thousands away week in week out is a myth

We played Scarborough in April 1993 in our promotion season . We took 500 .

But a week later played the league leaders York in a crunch match so we had 2000 there

Like our home support our away support has always been up and down

That was then however , it's excellent now

1990 and it was a bank holiday weekend. And the weather was nice.

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-12-21, 17:15
1990 and it was a bank holiday weekend. And the weather was nice.

Indeed it was

It was so hot there was a gorilla in the cardiff seating section

But he got arrested at half time , presumably to put him on a plane to Rwanda

Via Treorchy

insider
18-12-21, 19:56

That's your experience not mine.
Obviously if I went away with the City it would be with lads from my area plus you knew all the City fans from Cardiff areas as you knew them from getting the train or drinking in town.
I know City fans from all areas of Cardiff who were going when we were shit and still go today.
I'm not having this support for the club is or has been bigger from areas outside the city.
Because it's not my experience

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-12-21, 20:30
That's your experience not mine.
Obviously if I went away with the City it would be with lads from my area plus you knew all the City fans from Cardiff areas as you knew them from getting the train or drinking in town.
I know City fans from all areas of Cardiff who were going when we were shit and still go today.
I'm not having this support for the club is or has been bigger from areas outside the city.
Because it's not my experience

Of course it was

If 250 fans were at Rochdale and 150 of those fans were on coaches carrying fans from outside of Cardiff then the majority of hard core fans came from outside Cardiff

Dead

Baloo
18-12-21, 20:40
Of course it was

If 250 fans were at Rochdale and 150 of those fans were on coaches carrying fans from outside of Cardiff then the majority of hard core fans came from outside Cardiff

Dead
Great thread to distract from Strictly. Welling up.

MOZZER2
18-12-21, 21:02

well i,m going to challenge that claim

My time in Birmingham which was about 5 years on and off I would say that the bulk north of the city was Aston Villa land whilst the south is Birmingham city . Obviously being a huge city there are fans of both sides in all areas

I agree with villa being the biggest and best supported but for some reason they attract alot of fans outside Birmingham whilst Birmingham don't apart from Redditch . Villa have a huge fan base in most border areas like south staffordshire .Lichfield and Tamworth for example is almost 100 per cent villa .If Birmingham were in the prem they would get big crowds too

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-12-21, 21:47
well i,m going to challenge that claim

My time in Birmingham which was about 5 years on and off I would say that the bulk north of the city was Aston Villa land whilst the south is Birmingham city . Obviously being a huge city there are fans of both sides in all areas

I agree with villa being the biggest and best supported but for some reason they attract alot of fans outside Birmingham whilst Birmingham don't apart from Redditch . Villa have a huge fan base in most border areas like south staffordshire .Lichfield and Tamworth for example is almost 100 per cent villa .If Birmingham were in the prem they would get big crowds too

Villa are for the posh types in Sutton Coldfield , Solihull , Knowle , Worcestershire

Birmingham City are the working class club of the South and East

West Brom are the North West of Birmingham

Armitage Shanks
18-12-21, 22:42
Villa are for the posh types in Sutton Coldfield , Solihull , Knowle , Worcestershire

I was in Birmingham today, the pubs were full of Villa fans all afternoon due to the postponed game.

SLUDGE FACTORY
18-12-21, 23:51
I was in Birmingham today, the pubs were full of Villa fans all afternoon due to the postponed game.

They would be , if Villa were at home

Former Labour leader
19-12-21, 00:06

I'm a Ponty boy originally and I remember the specials running down to NP in the 60 s, on a Saturday, usually full. Ponty rugby team was lucky to get 2 men and a dog for their matches at Ynysangharad Park, 200 was a big crowd. I would pop down now and again if City were away and I had nothing better to do.
Times have certainly changed.

Wash DC Blue
19-12-21, 00:38

1/3 of those lads are from Alway and Ringland in Newport.
Talking of which, it's nuts how many Newport lads used to go in the 70's.
Then the early/mid 80's were what they were.

I started going early 91/92 with a few lads from work
And got hooked very quickly.
Had plenty of trouble in Newport Town Centre back then.

Now there are plenty of City fans in Newport.

Des Parrot
19-12-21, 00:54

Having worked in Redditch for the last 20 years, I’d say the split is roughly 60% Villa, 20% Bluenoses, 10% West Brom and the balance split between Cov, Wolves & Polish clubs. You don’t see many shirts from Northern or London clubs.

By the way I can rustle up around 15-20 from the Forest of Dean & Monmouth. There are more City fans in this little corner of England than there are Bristol fans, although Gloucester Rugby dominates the local shirt wearing.

Packerman
19-12-21, 06:51
I'm a Ponty boy originally and I remember the specials running down to NP in the 60 s, on a Saturday, usually full. Ponty rugby team was lucky to get 2 men and a dog for their matches at Ynysangharad Park, 200 was a big crowd. I would pop down now and again if City were away and I had nothing better to do.
fellow Ponty boy here, Trallwn, yep crowds were not great in the park
team and support took off when the moved to Sardis road,
Ponty support from then on was as good as anyone in Wales and at the time the regions were formed they were the premier team in Wales and produced loads of Internationals
remember the 60s specials to NP
and was a regular on Mair Daniels coaches in the 70s
happy days

insider
19-12-21, 07:54
Of course it was

Dead

Did you go around with forms asking for address details and do a head count?
My brother has lived in n Cardiff all his life and he travelled with the adar glass coaches back in the day.

Chilled of Llanishen
19-12-21, 08:08

Afraid to say Mike Pearce died about 18 months ago. I always remember him from working in the souvenir shop in the late 70s, a very nice guy.

chrisp_1927
19-12-21, 08:17
My brother has lived in n Cardiff all his life and he travelled with the adar glass coaches back in the day.

I think there is only 1 conclusion to take from this. You must have made a mistake, forgotten where your brother has lived, and not realised that he's a valley boy !! The other option of course, is that sludge is talking bollocks again 😂

dembethewarrior
19-12-21, 09:06
Pontypridd used to get very big gates. They had a really passionate following. As you say, the WRU really messed that up, thinking Pont supporters would switch to Cardiff Blues.

Yeah, used to be a massive rugby town, people still talk about the big games in Europe.
All guess work now but I think they'd have done alright in Europe as well.

dembethewarrior
19-12-21, 09:07
I think there is only 1 conclusion to take from this. You must have made a mistake, forgotten where your brother has lived, and not realised that he's a valley boy !! The other option of course, is that sludge is talking bollocks again 😂

Don't be daft. He's never wrong. The font of all knowledge, what he doesn't know isn't worth knowing etc.

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-12-21, 09:40

You are not understanding the maths here

If 250 fans are watching Cardiff City up at Bury , when we were really shit and 150 of them got on coaches that were mostly full before then even picked up a few stragglers in Cardiff then obviously most of City's support were from outside Cardiff 🙄

Our coach from Bridgend was full by the time it got to Cardiff

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-12-21, 09:42
Afraid to say Mike Pearce died about 18 months ago. I always remember him from working in the souvenir shop in the late 70s, a very nice guy.

Stalwarts of the supporters club in the same way vince and others are today . Safe , reliable travel for people who cannot or do not want to drive or don't want to go by train .

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-12-21, 09:49

A lot of Cardiff city fans from Cardiff don't like being reminded that the beating heart of Cardiff City lies in the support this club gets from the valleys and its outlying areas

One of Cardiff City's most fervent fans collared Sam Hammam once at a meeting and told him he was taking these people for granted . And he was right .

If we didn't have great support from outside of Cardiff when we were shite then the coaches wouldn't have run from outside of the council offices in Bridgend or from Pontypridd and been full by the time we got to Cardiff

They would have started and ended in Cardiff and the stragglers from the valleys would have to have come to Cardiff to get the bus .

The demand was there and still is so there we go .

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-12-21, 09:51
Don't be daft. He's never wrong. The font of all knowledge, what he doesn't know isn't worth knowing etc.

Never mind away games , you are not even allowed to go to home games as the football is boring 😴

Never mind boyo

dembethewarrior
19-12-21, 09:57

Full swing it seems, as they're back to shite crowds now. Only get a decent turn out for Merthyr and Cardiff.

dembethewarrior
19-12-21, 09:58
Never mind away games , you are not even allowed to go to home games as the football is boring 😴

Never mind boyo

:hehe:

About as low as it goes in an attempt to have a pop.

I grate on you badly don't I :hehe:

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-12-21, 10:06

About as low as it goes in an attempt to have a pop.

I grate on you badly don't I :hehe:

Well if you want to continue having pops which started over a year ago then I will continue to bring up the fact that the excuse you gave for not supporting cardiff city anymore was that your daughter finds the football boring

I think calling someone a sex offender is far far more serious than that

You carry on mate , fill your boots

dembethewarrior
19-12-21, 10:54
Well if you want to continue having pops which started over a year ago then I will continue to bring up the fact that the excuse you gave for not supporting cardiff city anymore was that your daughter finds the football boring

I think calling someone a sex offender is far far more serious than that

You carry on mate , fill your boots

Seeing as you brought it up, I called you a nonce in the heat of the moment. I did also apologise.

I stand by the rest of it, it is ****ing weird for a grown man to remember a 15 year old girls arse so fondly. You were 15 at the time of seeing it, but you are a fully grown man remembering it. I don't care how you spin it, in fact I won't even be replying as it's been done to death, but you said "she had a cracking arse" about a 15 year old.

Never mind, this will get deleted along with any other thread your mates deem to show you in a bad light.

My daughter is 15 as well. Really is a weird thing to say about someone that age.

"She had a cracking arse"

You do you, but that is plain ****ing oddball behaviour.

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-12-21, 11:29
Seeing as you brought it up, I called you a nonce in the heat of the moment. I did also apologise.

I stand by the rest of it, it is ****ing weird for a grown man to remember a 15 year old girls arse so fondly. You were 15 at the time of seeing it, but you are a fully grown man remembering it. I don't care how you spin it, in fact I won't even be replying as it's been done to death, but you said "she had a cracking arse" about a 15 year old.

Never mind, this will get deleted along with any other thread your mates deem to show you in a bad light.

My daughter is 15 as well. Really is a weird thing to say about someone that age.

"She had a cracking arse"

You do you, but that is plain ****ing oddball behaviour.

I couldn't give a toss

Maybe one day your daughter will change your mind and you will have to find another excuse eh 😉

Keep it up mate 👍

dembethewarrior
19-12-21, 11:50
I couldn't give a toss

Maybe one day your daughter will change your mind and you will have to find another excuse eh 😉

Keep it up mate 👍
Surprised you can afford to attend, didn't think people on benefits could afford such luxury, added into all the fishing you do and time spent being Cowbridges very own mother Theresa I'm surprised you can afford the time as well.

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-12-21, 12:52
Surprised you can afford to attend, didn't think people on benefits could afford such luxury, added into all the fishing you do and time spent being Cowbridges very own mother Theresa I'm surprised you can afford the time as well.

Daddy can we go back to watch ccfc ?

No ! 👎

dembethewarrior
19-12-21, 13:30
Daddy can we go back to watch ccfc ?

No ! 👎

You're about 55 and wound up over nothing :hehe:

goats
19-12-21, 13:46
Stalwarts of the supporters club in the same way vince and others are today . Safe , reliable travel for people who cannot or do not want to drive or don't want to go by train .

Always went on the train, would see the odd two or three coaches there as sludge says. Didn’t really know the people who went on the coaches as they were mainly valleys back then. As trains got more expensive and difficult various people would hire coaches from cardiff too…then the valley rams came along….

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-12-21, 14:38

You're about 55 and wound up over nothing :hehe:

I am just playing your game

Doesn't bother me at all

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-12-21, 14:40
Always went on the train, would see the odd two or three coaches there as sludge says. Didn’t really know the people who went on the coaches as they were mainly valleys back then. As trains got more expensive and difficult various people would hire coaches from cardiff too…then the valley rams came along….

Some people went on the train and coaches

When the special trains to Swansea were running all those years ago Bridgend Station was ram packed

goats
19-12-21, 16:14
Some people went on the train and coaches

When the special trains to Swansea were running all those years ago Bridgend Station was ram packed

Going to swansea was a completely different affair….

dembethewarrior
19-12-21, 20:47
I am just playing your game

Doesn't bother me at all

Cool.

Don't engage then, if you're not bothered you can just let it go and not acknowledge it :thumbup:

SLUDGE FACTORY
19-12-21, 20:57
Cool.

Don't engage then, if you're not bothered you can just let it go and not acknowledge it :thumbup:

You could stop trying to get a reaction , you are after all 35 and a parent , it's hardly adult behaviour to be teaching her is it ?

But if you keep being silly I will land on you when I feel like it

J R Hartley
19-12-21, 23:57
Same old tired posts and stereotypes whenever this subject gets brought up Boring. Zzzz

dembethewarrior
20-12-21, 10:31
You could stop trying to get a reaction , you are after all 35 and a parent , it's hardly adult behaviour to be teaching her is it ?

But if you keep being silly I will land on you when I feel like it

I am not teaching her how to post on CCMB :thumbup:

Land on me :hehe:

When I feel like :hehe:

You have absolute power. You the man. Repeat in the mirror. You are a beast. You the man.

My mother taught me to go to work and work hard for what I want, I do, but I suppose not all of us can follow their teachings and some of us lounge about cleaning rock vinyls, online shopping for fishing equipment while taking money off a government you despise.

Hey ho.

SLUDGE FACTORY
20-12-21, 11:53
[QUOTE=dembethewarrior;5256437]I am not teaching her how to post on CCMB :thumbup:

Land on me :hehe:

When I feel like :hehe:

You have absolute power. You the man. Repeat in the mirror. You are a beast. You the man.

My mother taught me to go to work and work hard for what I want, I do, but I suppose not all of us can follow their teachings and some of us lounge about cleaning rock vinyls, online shopping for fishing equipment while taking money off a government you despise.

You need to tell mum shes messed up , her sons a part time dad 👨

stan butler
20-12-21, 12:11
Same old tired posts and stereotypes whenever this subject gets brought up Boring. Zzzz

Same sob called adults bickering to.

dembethewarrior
20-12-21, 13:22
You're not doing too bad for someone not bothered :hehe:

All time low for you, didn't realise I bothered you enough to stoop so low :thumbup:

Anyway few days off work in the Xmas madness got shopping to do for my part time daughter, suppose you've done all yours what with being free all year round. Them tories must pay a decent wage for stay at home types.

SLUDGE FACTORY
20-12-21, 13:36
You're not doing too bad for someone not bothered :hehe:

All time low for you, didn't realise I bothered you enough to stoop so low :thumbup:

Anyway few days off work in the Xmas madness got shopping to do for my part time daughter, suppose you've done all yours what with being free all year round. Them tories must pay a decent wage for stay at home types.

Aye free as a bird 🐦

Bluebirds

dembethewarrior
20-12-21, 21:50
Aye free as a bird 🐦

Bluebirds

Dole bum.

20 year student type, moan life isn't fair while living off the establishment you hate so much while your loved ones benefit from said state handouts.

Be a real man get a job and look after your own on your own.

Ciao.

SLUDGE FACTORY
21-12-21, 09:12
Dole bum.

20 year student type, moan life isn't fair while living off the establishment you hate so much while your loved ones benefit from said state handouts.

Be a real man get a job and look after your own on your own.

Ciao.

Bluebirds xx 😘