PDA

View Full Version : Just back from game, and....

A Quiet Monkfish
09-02-22, 22:32
.it's like someone just flicked a switch. Absolutely so much to praise about City's performance tonight, but what struck me was that literally I can only recall 3 or 4 'aimless' passes throughout the whole game. Even when City were boxed in they played a few short, simple passes in neat triangles, and opened up play again. It's as if I was watching a completely different team - which to a degree it is - but a few good players and the rest start playing along with them.

billy.ronson
09-02-22, 22:38
Please don’t tell me it’s a dream ……think we need to start a whip round to buy the loan players …..Dramah and Doyle superb
. Hugill held the ball up so well and big Uche looks a handful.

We actually have a proper midfield too! Ralls,Wintle and Doyle … well done all ! :ayatollah:

JamesWales
09-02-22, 22:39
It's mad how a teams form can just change almost overnight. I guess Peterborough at home is a good game for anyone to play but still.

Not a bad run coming up either

AfricanBluebird
09-02-22, 22:43
It's mad how a teams form can just change almost overnight. I guess Peterborough at home is a good game for anyone to play but still.

Dramah was unreal .. defensively sound but his pace and guile is exceptional. Doyle similarly and Davies is benefitting from so much movement and seeing so much more of the ball.

'pace and guile in our team' .. haven't said those words for three years!

RichardM
09-02-22, 22:44

Getting four players on loan and two loaners back is how a team changes overnight.

tforturton
09-02-22, 22:44
Our loan signings have made an incredible difference to the side. Drameh, Doyle, Hugill, Ikpeazu - they were all excellent today.

Garth Blue
09-02-22, 23:46

I guess it helps when we have a manager and coaching staff who know what they are doing.

Dorcus
09-02-22, 23:49
I guess it helps when we have a manager and coaching staff who know what they are doing.

And real quality in the team

A Quiet Monkfish
09-02-22, 23:52
Our loan signings have made an incredible difference to the side. Drameh, Doyle, Hugill, Ikpeazu - they were all excellent today.

What struck me is how well they have fitted in, and tonight all put in a huge shift. You often wonder whether players on loan are going to give everything to the cause, but tonight they really did. Credit to them.

MacAdder
10-02-22, 00:10
Shout out to Isaak Davies who again showed what he is all about, zipping around chasing lost causes, harassing the ball playing defenders, making runs for the ball carrier and not afraid to have a shot.

It should be said that Peterborough weren't the best team to visit the CCS this season but in such an important game for both sides, to a man we went about our business with a confident urgency with one twos and triangles as the OP commented on, the likes of which we've not seen for at least four seasons.

Isaak epitomised the team's work ethic tonight and really deserved a goal but as long as he puts in performances like this every week, they will come. This kid looks like he is going to be one heck of a player.

I must say that the last three league games, all the players, not just those mentioned in this thread, seem to be buying into what the manager has been asking of them.

He was staring down the barrel less than a month ago but some shrewd business in the window with a few loanees slotting in seamlessly, Morison deserves a lot of credit.

EastbourneBlue
10-02-22, 06:36

I think it’s encouraging that Morison has managed to select the right players on loan.

If he is given a small budget in the summer, maybe he can repeat the feat

the other bob wilson
10-02-22, 07:02

A word to about another "new signing" - what on earth possessed us to loan Wintle out to another Championship club in August?

billy.ronson
10-02-22, 07:16
I agree …what was McCarthy thinking.?

Barmy
10-02-22, 08:04
I think a lot of the credit has to go to the fans on Sunday.
The players who sat out that game must have been impressed by the passion,
and then turned up to play really pumped!

The Hooded Claw
10-02-22, 08:12

Those same fans that Aldridge didn’t think much of? 🤪

AfricanBluebird
10-02-22, 08:14
A word to about another "new signing" - what on earth possessed us to loan Wintle out to another Championship club in August?

I was going to start a thread on Wintle, but glad to post my praise of him here.

He has been very impressive.

He may not get many MOTM awards but he just gets on with things without any fuss. Does all of the basic things well - breaks up play, simple passes, crunching tackles and tracking players... already he seems so much better than Pack and Vaulks in that role.

I think his positional sense is tremendous allowing others to move forward and press.

He also went on a few runs forward and I was impressed how quick he is.

Also, having more movement and mobility around him in Doyle, Davies and Drameh and behind him with McGuiness and Ng in particular looking to pass into midfield, rather than launch it over them, makes all the difference.

Again, what on earth was McCarthy thinking!

light up the darkness
10-02-22, 09:10
Those same fans that Aldridge didn’t think much of? ��

Too many blows to the head unfortunately. Very sad to see someone like this with the talent he used to have.

sneggyblubird
10-02-22, 09:20
Someone on the other board called him a Poundland Ian Rush, made me smile.

dml1954
10-02-22, 09:40
The real question is will recent performances stop people moaning about individual players, the team, the manager, the owner or the club on here ? Somehow, I very much doubt it.

delmbox
10-02-22, 11:03

This is a stretch, imagine if Morison saw it :hehe:

2b2bdoo
10-02-22, 11:07
To change a style of player was always going to take time and new players. I’m not sure what some people were expecting when Morison took over. Yesterday was a glimpse of what we are trying to do, yes against lesser opposition but hopefully it goes some way to getting the lads confident in what we are doing. Doesn’t mean we won’t have games like Barnsley still and it’s still going to take a while but from the off I can see what Morison was trying to do and seeing the players he brought in he clearly had an identity of how he wants his team to play. Let’s hope we continue to see progress.

Bald Barry Bastad
10-02-22, 11:25
I agree …what was McCarthy thinking.?
McCarthy is a fool. And so is his sidekick. Good riddance to useless trash.

Rjk
10-02-22, 11:35
McCarthy is a fool. And so is his sidekick. Good riddance to useless trash.

I mean it was definitely time to let him go, and I was always dubious about the appointment, but useless trash seems a bit harsh.

Bald Barry Bastad
10-02-22, 11:59
I mean it was definitely time to let him go, and I was always dubious about the appointment, but useless trash seems a bit harsh.
Sorry I have a lot of contempt for this man. And his sidekick.

Dorcus
10-02-22, 12:05
The real question is will recent performances stop people moaning about individual players, the team, the manager, the owner or the club on here ? Somehow, I very much doubt it.

Come, come David you're showing yourself up now, please take this opportunity to grow up. I care about you, you know!

DubaiDai
10-02-22, 12:32
To change a style of player was always going to take time and new players. I’m not sure what some people were expecting when Morison took over. Yesterday was a glimpse of what we are trying to do, yes against lesser opposition but hopefully it goes some way to getting the lads confident in what we are doing. Doesn’t mean we won’t have games like Barnsley still and it’s still going to take a while but from the off I can see what Morison was trying to do and seeing the players he brought in he clearly had an identity of how he wants his team to play. Let’s hope we continue to see progress.

I personally think it may be time to confirm Morrisons appointment for next season and start to put together a credible plan between manager and board.
The last thing we want is to go into next season on the basis that we should win a few games and avoid relegation.
This board has lurched into crisis after crisis by acting in a knee jerk manner.
Morison has shown that he can bring in players on a low budget to fit his game style.
Let’s back him

Nobody's Rep
10-02-22, 17:02
I personally think it may be time to confirm Morrisons appointment for next season and start to put together a credible plan between manager and board.
The last thing we want is to go into next season on the basis that we should win a few games and avoid relegation.
This board has lurched into crisis after crisis by acting in a knee jerk manner.
Morison has shown that he can bring in players on a low budget to fit his game style.
Let’s back him
I mentioned in another post s few days ago that we will have less time in the summer than usual because next season starts earlier due to the world cup

I don't disagree with you in principle but would like to wait until we get the Jack's out of the way - in no way saying if we lose that he doesn't get it but just psychological for me and we would have played Fulham Stoke and other top half sides in that time which will give us further clues as to the development of it's style and side

This would still gives us time to plan

Former Labour leader
10-02-22, 17:57
Too early to give Morison a contract. He will have to wait till our season is secured. Will be quite a few games yet.