PDA

View Full Version : £1,600 Basic Income On Offer In Wales

life on mars
16-02-22, 16:50
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-60391462

Basic income: Wales pilot offers £1,600 a month to care leavers ?

That's more than some in work get .

Personally rather better Health ,Police or Schools.

A Quiet Monkfish
16-02-22, 16:55

Nice and easy - just give them some money. Doesn't require any thought, planning, job creation, but good headline grabber.

J R Hartley
16-02-22, 16:58
I thought it was for people from care who often end up on the streets when they get to adult age.

How dare we try and help young people who have already been dealt a shitty hand in life transition into adulthood.

Trigger
16-02-22, 16:59
Seems a terrible idea, I'm all for supporting care leavers but to just give some of the most vulnerable and manipulated in society a wage would be the wrong way about it for me.

It's also hardly a proper trial of UBI when it's literally just 18 year old care leavers.

delmbox
16-02-22, 16:59
I thought it was for people from care who often end up on the streets when they get to adult age. How dare we try and help young people who have already been dealt a shitty hand in life.

It is for that yes but we both know how this thread's going to go

Doucas
16-02-22, 17:01

Yet you vote for a government that's under invested into the NHS and has cut police numbers.

Can't believe the amount of people criticising this. Remember these are people without families or have had to leave abusive families and have no safety net.

With this money people can get training, apprenticeships or go to university without the risk of living in absolute poverty. They could even save for a house deposit.

If your wage has decreased less than inflation over the past 10 years that is not the fault of these people and you should aim your anger at your employers/the government.

North Cardiff Blue
16-02-22, 17:01
It's a stupid idea where do they think the money will be spent?
Fags, booze, drugs mobile phones, maybe taken off them, help the kids out of course but in a structured supervised way, surely you can't just give them money, will they be financially educated to deal with it sensibly?

Tuerto
16-02-22, 17:07

Have a look at some stats or care leavers and how some of their lives end up. This is a good thing, it obviously aims towards getting the most vulnerable out of poverty and giving them some choice and independence as opposed to a reliance on benefits and agencies deciding what is best for them.

Tuerto
16-02-22, 17:08
Fags, booze, drugs mobile phones, maybe taken off them, help the kids out of course but in a structured supervised way, surely you can't just give them money, will they be financially educated to deal with it sensibly?

People who have never been in care also buy fags, Booze, Drugs etc.

dandywarhol
16-02-22, 17:11

I work at a foodbank in Newport.I've witnessed young women coming out of the care system at 18 years of age,No money for the basics such as sanitary towels..Housed in a street in Newport full of drug addicts..Many of these kids have been abused by their parents then pushed from foster parent to foster parent.Once the money stops some but not all fosters parents don't want to know these kids.it's a bit smoke and mirrors with the 1600 quid as this would disqualify the participants from housing benefit.
I would hope there's a work element to this project and it would be administerd by the various young persons charities that exist.
Joe public really has no idea how vulnerable care leavers are to drug and prostitution gangs.

North Cardiff Blue
16-02-22, 17:14

True, but the point was more don't just give them cash, financially educate them and limit how it can be spent, if tax payers are going to help them, then help them don't just give them money which could be wasted.

These kids won't have had a good start, but could be supported in a much better way surely?

Wales magic money tree again, lets shut everything down for longer, smash the economy back, now lets find more daft spending ideas from the magic money tree (Westminster)

North Cardiff Blue
16-02-22, 17:16
I work at a foodbank in Newport.I've witnessed young women coming out of the care system at 18 years of age,No money for the basics such as sanitary towels..Housed in a street in Newport full of drug addicts..Many of these kids have been abused by their parents then pushed from foster parent to foster parent.Once the money stops some but not all fosters parents don't want to know these kids.it's a bit smoke and mirrors with the 1600 quid as this would disqualify the participants from housing benefit.
I would hope there's a work element to this project and it would be administerd by the various young persons charities that exist.
Joe public really has no idea how vulnerable care leavers are to drug and prostitution gangs.

That's a really good point, I'm sure they need more help, but not a load of free cash for a few years?

dembethewarrior
16-02-22, 17:23

I took a "pay the bills and stay in work a few weeks" job at a factory and my monthly pay was around 1400 quid working nights.

All I can say is I'm glad that's not my usual income.

J R Hartley
16-02-22, 17:31

Most of Joe Public doesn’t give a shit. Take the bellend who started he OP for example. No empathy for others less fortunate than themselves as long is im alright Jack. Makes me sick how selfish some people are.

Citizen's Nephew
16-02-22, 17:35

You get top marks for one of the most stupid, pompous, lofty, uneducated, heartless posts I have ever read. It's a post littered with no original thought just a load of cliched soundbites straight out of a Dickensian playbook. You're an idiot.

J R Hartley
16-02-22, 17:35
True, but the point was more don't just give them cash, financially educate them and limit how it can be spent, if tax payers are going to help them, then help them don't just give them money which could be wasted.

These kids won't have had a good start, but could be supported in a much better way surely?

Wales magic money tree again, lets shut everything down for longer, smash the economy back, now lets find more daft spending ideas from the magic money tree (Westminster)

Yes that magic money tree that’s written off billions of pounds of taxpayers money that it’s given to its chums. What’s 20m to vulnerable children that will go back into the economy.

Raymond Holt
16-02-22, 17:48
Yes that magic money tree that’s written off billions of pounds of taxpayers money that it’s given to its chums. What’s 20m to vulnerable children that will go back into the economy.

Staggering how people don't seem to be able to understand the difference between millions and billions. 20m would be 1/1850 of the 37bn wasted on test and trace; and this might actually work and save a few people's lives. Not to mention billions avoided in tax by corporations, handed out to the shareholders of energy companies or made in profits by arms dealers.

Citizen's Nephew
16-02-22, 17:51
Staggering how people don't seem to be able to understand the difference between millions and billions. 20m would be 1/1850 of the 37bn wasted on test and trace; and this might actually work and save a few people's lives. Not to mention billions avoided in tax by corporations, handed out to the shareholders of energy companies or made in profits by arms dealers.

:thumbup:

Citizen's Nephew
16-02-22, 17:57

I think the real lost causes are some of the posters on this thread JR. I'm sick of the undeserving poor narrative. It's so depressing.

LeningradCowboy
16-02-22, 17:59

Why do you think that all the money spent on COVID-19 testing has been wasted?

ninian opinian
16-02-22, 18:03
Why do you think that all the money spent on COVID-19 testing has been wasted?

Why do you think it wasn’t wasted :sherlock:

WJ99mobile
16-02-22, 18:08

How many kids in care do you personally know to make that opinion?

Otherwise you’re talking ****

Jordi Culé
16-02-22, 18:18

They've targeted 'care leavers' in the expectation/hope preventative measures at 18 will decrease the amount of care leavers costing the government by being in custody, homelessness, benefits, substance misuse services etc

£20 million for a pilot project which could reap social and financial benefits is fuuck all.

Let's see where it takes them.

Citizen's Nephew
16-02-22, 18:22
They've targeted 'care leavers' in the expectation/hope preventative measures at 18 will decrease the amount of care leavers costing the government by being in custody, homelessness, benefits, substance misuse services etc

£20 million for a pilot project which could reap social and financial benefits is fuuck all.

dembethewarrior
16-02-22, 18:24

Citizen's Nephew
16-02-22, 18:30

It's just "I'll tell you what you can spend your money on" pomposity. It makes me so angry these days. I swear some would chip and pin anyone given a helping hand by their governments.

JamesWales
16-02-22, 18:30
I think it's good to trial this. The idea of Universal Basic Income isn't one I support because of the term universal - giving s set amount to people who don't need it is not a good idea.

However, if its targeted like this, at people in urgent need of support and very vulnerable then I think it's worth a go and again, when targeted is really just another form of benefits and maybe one which could work better, giving vulnerable young people support and time when they need it most.

Will it work? I dunno, I can see why it could be a disaster but I reckon it's worth trialling

Nobody's Rep
16-02-22, 18:42

Absolutely spot on - if they get this right or even elements of it then it will improve long term outcomes for some of the most disadvantaged in our society

I bet Steve Morison is pleased as the thread on Wattersgate is falling down the page

Citizen's Nephew
16-02-22, 18:43
Absolutely spot on - if they get this right or even elements of it then it will improve long term outcomes for some of the most disadvantaged in our society

I bet Steve Morison is pleased as the thread on Wattersgate is falling down the page

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a bump! :wink:

Citizen's Nephew
16-02-22, 18:46

I apologise for the way I posted earlier. I don't agree with you but I lashed out. Sorry about that.

North Cardiff Blue
16-02-22, 18:47
You get top marks for one of the most stupid, pompous, lofty, uneducated, heartless posts I have ever read. It's a post littered with no original thought just a load of cliched soundbites straight out of a Dickensian playbook. You're an idiot.

Your an idiot if you think just giving young adults straight out of care £1600 a month without educating them and helping them make financial decisions is a good idea.

They need structured help not just here's a load of cash spend it how you want?

North Cardiff Blue
16-02-22, 18:48
I apologise for the way I posted earlier. I don't agree with you but I lashed out. Sorry about that.

No problem, as I lashed back before I read this, apologies back!

Citizen's Nephew
16-02-22, 18:49
Your an idiot if you think just giving young adults straight out of care £1600 a month without educating them and helping them make financial decisions is a good idea.

They actually need both.

Citizen's Nephew
16-02-22, 18:49
No problem, as I lashed back before I read this, apologies back!

Nobody's Rep
16-02-22, 18:50
Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a bump! :wink:
Haha - you do that as there still plenty to say on that thread that has yet to be said I'm sure

WJ99mobile
16-02-22, 18:50

A sensible post.

These people need a leg up more than most. Hopefully they will avoid becoming products of their environment

Nobody's Rep
16-02-22, 18:51
They actually need both.

The article mentions that there will help with financial decision making and I'm sure there will be more detail in the proposals that aren't covered in the article on Wales on line

North Cardiff Blue
16-02-22, 18:54
How many kids in care do you personally know to make that opinion?

Otherwise you’re talking ****

None but the point is chucking money at any problem usually doesn't work, I'm happy for those kids to get a leg up and some help, but personally I think this will be a disaster for the majority, with hopefully some good outcomes, unless they good solid advice on how to manage it correctly.

Who knows though I am no expert are you?

WJ99mobile
16-02-22, 19:11
None but the point is chucking money at any problem usually doesn't work, I'm happy for those kids to get a leg up and some help, but personally I think this will be a disaster for the majority, with hopefully some good outcomes, unless they good solid advice on how to manage it correctly.

Who knows though I am no expert are you?

I have 3 close family members that have been in care.

Let’s see how it goes, but if you see the stats on people in care and likely outcomes, you’ll understand that whatever’s happening now just isn’t sufficient. Even with ‘guidance’.

Jordi Culé
16-02-22, 19:25

What makes you think they care leavers won't and don't receive advice and support?

The fact is care leavers already receive services support and advice.

LeningradCowboy
16-02-22, 19:35
I can understand the reasons for offering care leavers a basic income, but I'm surprised that it's as high as £19,000 per year. For comparison, an 18-year-old working full-time on the minimum wage earns less then £13,000 per year and the maximum maintenance loan available to a student living away from home outside London is under £10,000 per year.

blue matt
16-02-22, 19:44
UBI has been discussed a fair bit with the staff / volunteers at the food bank I help at

The idea of giving them £1600 a month and letting them crack on is very flawed, they will of course need help, at a guess a fair % of these kids have had very little " home education " ( by which I mean on how to deal with every day life, paying bill's, budgeting for life, stuff that people who have the " traditional life " 2.4 kids, a partner, a car outside take for granted ), they will need help with that, of course they will, I have always been keen on sheltered accommodation with social workers / life skill advisors to help these kids ( and Sqaudies who need to get back to civvy street ) plenty of empty office complex's around to do this

but having said that, fundamentally its great, they get the feel of a " wage " and its close to what places are paying, ( KFC 10 quid a hour, Sports direct 10.50, supermarkets 10 - 11 quid a hour ) so the 2 years end and they have sorted themselves out with a job ( hopefully not too far into the 2 years, as they will then be getting £3K a month and maybe adapt livestyle they lead to that and not the £1600 ( but that might be me just thinking too far ahead and looking for issues )

blue matt
16-02-22, 19:45
What makes you think they care leavers won't and don't receive advice and support?

The fact is care leavers already receive services support and advice.

plenty dont take it though, they see the system in a bad light and rebel against it

dembethewarrior
16-02-22, 19:49

You should know by now SM won't care.

Jordi Culé
16-02-22, 20:01
plenty dont take it though, they see the system in a bad light and rebel against it

The 'plenty' who don't take it are the kids they're hoping change by engaging them into a process that is attempting to ensure they don't end up in prison, homeless etc.

My experience is that most care leavers engage in the system, usually for their own motivations, good and bad and some just don't listen to the advice.

Let's be realistic, it's a trial. Undoubtedly there'll be individuals in the trial who will be seen as abusing it.

goats
16-02-22, 20:20
They will definitely need plenty of help along with finances. I used to work for wallich Clifford, they used to run a great scheme which would employ young homeless people renovating old churches and schools etc….two of us would manage about 6 of them every week, theyd get a small wage but the main thing was building up their self esteem, getting them used to working life (slowly) and routine.
Lots went on to become decorators and things like that, or went in to further trades courses. I’m not sure if they still do it but it was just what they needed….

William Treseder
16-02-22, 20:28

These ‘drug gangs’ will be rubbing their hands knowing that the vulnerable youngsters they’ve snared are about to get £400 a week.

Doucas
16-02-22, 20:41
You can see why literally everything in the UK is getting worse and worse, utter selfish dinosaurs in this thread.

Dorcus
16-02-22, 20:51
An innovative idea in my opinion and it could turn out to be the way to go. I'll be interested to see how it pans out. £19k isn't too much given how the cost of living is soaring. If anything it shows how many many people in this country are being short changed in wages.

WJ99mobile
16-02-22, 21:06
An innovative idea in my opinion and it could turn out to be the way to go. I'll be interested to see how it pans out. £19k isn't too much given how the cost of living is soaring. If anything it shows how many many people in this country are being short changed in wages.

I’m assuming it’s after tax, which really is quite a sizeable amount.

Hopefully they’re guided into doing something worthwhile, I.e university or a career they’ll flourish in. It’ll cost hell of a lot more if they fall into the wrong crowd and costing money through poor life choices.

Hope it works well.

William Treseder
16-02-22, 21:17
You can see why literally everything in the UK is getting worse and worse, utter selfish dinosaurs in this thread.

You do realise that folk are allowed opinions on topics?
Only the very cold hearted or a Tory would readily see a young vulnerable person suffer and begrudge them help, but as in all aspects of life, simply throwing cash at a problem, is never the right answer.
The £1600 a month, needs to go hand in hand with a bit of life coaching, help to find employment financial guidance, affordable accommodation, and regular appointments to see how they are coping.

Jimmy the Jock
16-02-22, 21:25
You do realise that folk are allowed opinions on topics?
Only the very cold hearted or a Tory would readily see a young vulnerable person suffer and begrudge them help, but as in all aspects of life, simply throwing cash at a problem, is never the right answer.
The £1600 a month, needs to go hand in hand with a bit of life coaching, help to find employment financial guidance, affordable accommodation, and regular appointments to see how they are coping.

Most sensible answer on the subject .

TWGL1
16-02-22, 21:58
I think this is a fantastic idea and this targeted approach will definitely benefit people who need it most.

Most young adults probably don’t leave home until they are 22/25 plus these days and pay their parents £30 a week keep. This gives them a significant advantage over care leavers.

As soon as a looked after child reaches 16 they usually have to prepare for independent living and find a suitable flat. Often they are forced to pay a high rent for sub standard accommodation.

This extra money will help them get a decent flat and furnishings without the risk of being exploited and quite often ripped off in the private sector rental market.

J R Hartley
17-02-22, 14:37
I think this is a fantastic idea and this targeted approach will definitely benefit people who need it most.

Most young adults probably don’t leave home until they are 22/25 plus these days and pay their parents £30 a week keep. This gives them a significant advantage over care leavers.

As soon as a looked after child reaches 16 they usually have to prepare for independent living and find a suitable flat. Often they are forced to pay a high rent for sub standard accommodation.

This extra money will help them get a decent flat and furnishings without the risk of being exploited and quite often ripped off in the private sector rental market.
Exactly.

People saying others their age will only earn £13,000 on minimum wage, well these people probably still live with their parents and have a support network.

Also, this £1600 replaces other benefits they are entitled to such as housing, unemployment benefit.etc and will also be taxed.

I highly doubt they will just be given £1600 as disposable income. They are going to need educating on paying rent, budgeting and paying bills.etc and surely that will be a part of the scheme.

dembethewarrior
17-02-22, 14:43
Exactly.

People saying others their age will only earn £13,000 on minimum wage, well these people probably still live with their parents and have a support network.

Also, this £1600 replaces other benefits they are entitled to such as housing, unemployment benefit.etc and will also be taxed.

I highly doubt they will just be given £1600 as disposable income. They are going to need educating on paying rent, budgeting and paying bills.etc and surely that will be a part of the scheme.

My daughter has questioned why they don't teach stuff like this in school, people could say it's up to parents but the truth is a lot of parents don't really know the answers either. Young people leavi g care should definitely be given advice and ongoing support so they don't become dependent on the monthly income they get in the scheme.

J R Hartley
17-02-22, 14:44
Also, it’s for 2 years as they transition into adulthood. I imagine as a care leaver they are the toughest 2 years. One minute your a child being looked after by the system, the next minute you are out to fend for yourself at 18. At a time when rent, bills, cost of living has never been so high and worrying for millions, let alone care leaving young adults.

Good luck to them. As Jordi says there will always be people who abuse the system. How many so called businesses have we seen take advantage of the furlough and covid grants? 4.3 billion written off wasn’t it? Yet there’s more outrage over a bunch of unwanted kids/ young adults who’ve already had a shit start to life getting a 20m pilot scheme.

Nobody's Rep
17-02-22, 14:46
Exactly.

You are right re your last point and there is more detail on the Web if people are interested and this scheme has been designed with involvement of a range of agencies and also most importantly with children who are and have been in care

I assume more details on the criteria and application of the scheme will emerge soon

The argument for me is not to not to spend this and redirect it to spend it on education NHS etc my point would be it is not a case of either or - we need to be dealing with a range of social and economic issues in equal measures as whilst they are funded separatley they are connected ie if you don't look after the future generation then it will have an impact of on other state services such as health social care police etc

J R Hartley
17-02-22, 14:47
My daughter has questioned why they don't teach stuff like this in school, people could say it's up to parents but the truth is a lot of parents don't really know the answers either. Young people leavi g care should definitely be given advice and ongoing support so they don't become dependent on the monthly income they get in the scheme.

My daughters in sixth form college and they do get some educating on it.

But yes, I agree, in comprehensive say year 10 and when they are 15/16 they need some educating on it.

I wouldn’t want it any younger than that for my children, I wouldn’t want them stressing about adult stuff when they are 13/14. I just want them to enjoy what little time they have as children and teenagers.

J R Hartley
17-02-22, 14:50
You are right re your last point and there is more detail on the Web if people are interested and this scheme has been designed with involvement of a range of agencies and also most importantly with children who are and have been in care

I assume more details on the criteria and application of the scheme will emerge soon

The argument for me is not to not to spend this and redirect it to spend it on education NHS etc my point would be it is not a case of either or - we need to be dealing with a range of social and economic issues in equal measures as whilst they are funded separatley they are connected ie if you don't look after the future generation then it will have an impact of on other state services such as health social care police etc

It’s the Tory way. Pit one against the other. Divide and conquer.

dembethewarrior
17-02-22, 14:53
My daughters in sixth form college and they do get some educating on it.

But yes, I agree, in comprehensive say year 10 and when they are 15/16 they need some educating on it.

I wouldn’t want it any younger than that for my children, I wouldn’t want them stressing about adult stuff when they are 13/14. I just want them to enjoy what little time they have as children and teenagers.

Mines 15 and I think like you say, that's about right, definitely not before. Wasn't aware they get it at college, thats comforting to know.

It was my daughter that mentioned it to me as well!

My daughter acts her age, which I like, she's still happy to have fun and isn't trying to be a grown up like so many are at that age, it's a relief if I'm honest. Kids should be kids.

TWGL1
17-02-22, 15:05
Also, it’s for 2 years as they transition into adulthood. I imagine as a care leaver they are the toughest 2 years. One minute your a child being looked after by the system, the next minute you are out to fend for yourself at 18. At a time when rent, bills, cost of living has never been so high and worrying for millions, let alone care leaving young adults.

Good luck to them. As Jordi says there will always be people who abuse the system. How many so called businesses have we seen take advantage of the furlough and covid grants? 4.3 billion written off wasn’t it? Yet there’s more outrage over a bunch of unwanted kids/ young adults who’ve already had a shit start to life getting a 20m pilot scheme.

It’s is also worth mentioning that looked after kids are often faced with prejudices whilst in care by other members of society and I’ve seen instances where kids are not allowed to play with other children as the parents assume them to be troublesome, whereas in reality most looked after children are not placed in care due to bad behaviour however this stigma can last well into adulthood.

The amount of parents who used the term “ if you’re naughty you are going in the homes “ was really very common when I was growing up and it used to really get on my nerves as it reinforces the naughty children label.

As JRH has alluded to £20m is chicken feed. I wonder how much it’s costing the tax payer in respect of M.P’s working from home allowance ?

AfricanBluebird
17-02-22, 15:06
I thought it was for people from care who often end up on the streets when they get to adult age.

How dare we try and help young people who have already been dealt a shitty hand in life transition into adulthood.

Have a look at some stats or care leavers and how some of their lives end up. This is a good thing, it obviously aims towards getting the most vulnerable out of poverty and giving them some choice and independence as opposed to a reliance on benefits and agencies deciding what is best for them.

100% tuerto

Care leavers have some of the worst outcomes in society.. they have little support, often no family and end up very vulnerable.

For those who think it's a bad move, look at the stats and research on care leavers... Not good outcomes.

This is an investment and will in fact save money in the long run as care leavers will be able to transition to independence with a safety net. This week help care care leavers (or care experts as I prefer say), fall into poverty, crime, homelessness and mental health issues.

Saves society a lot more money in the long run and also it's the right thing to do.

Kudos to the Welsh Government for this.. however, as mentioned it's not a UBI pilot. That would need to be a geographically focussed pilot including everyone

J R Hartley
17-02-22, 15:06
Mines 15 and I think like you say, that's about right, definitely not before. Wasn't aware they get it at college, thats comforting to know.

My daughter acts her age, which I like, she's still happy to have fun and isn't trying to be a grown up like so many are at that age, it's a relief if I'm honest. Kids should be kids.

My eldest was great up until about 14 but we’ve had 3 years of the Kevin and Perry style teenage behaviour and only now coming out of the other side. I was a little **** when I was that age though so probably karma. :hehe:

AfricanBluebird
17-02-22, 15:07
Can't believe how much I'm agreeing with J R Hartley on this thread 😂

J R Hartley
17-02-22, 15:13
Can't believe how much I'm agreeing with J R Hartley on this thread 😂

:hehe:

This is Chris speaking on this thread, from the heart, not the internet persona known as JRH.

Do not confuse the two. :hehe:

J R Hartley
17-02-22, 15:19
Also, my daughter is 18 later this year, she is a grade A student so she’s not daft, but there no way in this world she would be ready to leave home and fend for herself. Absolutely no chance. She’s not mature enough for starters even if she is intelligent enough to budget her finances I don’t think she’s anywhere near enough ready to have her own flat.

I dont think today’s teenagwrs are as mature as we were (I’m mid 40s) and I don’t think we were as mature as our parents generation.

blue matt
17-02-22, 15:20

the funny thing about teaching them life skills in school, when a special needs child goes to a " special needs learning school " they learn Life skills ( like paying bill's, shopping etc etc )

dembethewarrior
17-02-22, 15:20
My eldest was great up until about 14 but we’ve had 3 years of the Kevin and Perry style teenage behaviour and only now coming out of the other side. I was a little **** when I was that age though so probably karma. :hehe:
I was easy to parent, never really went off the rails bit all the drinking and anti social behaviour went under the radar so I was never a worry for my parents as such.

I have been waiting for her to go the other way with a close eye for some time but she genuinely just seems to keep herself in with her little group of mates and isn't bothered by the drinking and all the other stuff.

I know people that Foster kids, you could say they are the lucky ones as they're not in homes, but the truth is at one point they'll all have to go out into the big bad world and anything there to assist them and make the transition better has got to he welcomed.

Fantastic idea.

dembethewarrior
17-02-22, 15:23
Also, my daughter is 18 later this year, she is a grade A student so she’s not daft, but there no way in this world she would be ready to leave home and fend for herself. Absolutely no chance. She’s not mature enough for starters even if she is intelligent enough to budget her finances I don’t think she’s anywhere near enough ready to have her own flat.

I dont think today’s teenagwrs are as mature as we were (I’m mid 40s) and I don’t think we were as mature as our parents generation.

Excellent point.

Mines a good student, academically smart but not very street smart and pretty much soft as they come, not anywhere even close to being mentally prepared to live on her own.

blue matt
17-02-22, 15:23

our school learns bit at Yr 10 - 11, its under PSHE ( Personal, Social, and Health Education ) runs alongside RE in our school

dembethewarrior
17-02-22, 15:24
our school learns bit at Yr 10 - 11, its under PSHE ( Personal, Social, and Health Education ) runs alongside RE in our school

Unfortunately my daughter doesn't get much of that..

blue matt
17-02-22, 15:32

my daughter has just turned 19 ( so a year older than yours I guess ) She went of to Uni in Sept and it was a eye opener, my daughter is also a decent student, but really didnt have a clue, but did any of us at her ages, I went backpacking around Asia and Australia at that age, but that was easy, Just before christmas she lost her phone ( of course everything is on her phone, her life ) so she called home as she couldn't cancel her bank card ( as it was in the back of her phone at the time ) as she didnt have the app ( as its on her phone ), Now of course you just phone the bank and cancel it, she didnt know you could do that :hehe:its a worry sometimes

on the plus side, she has budgeted fairly well, staying in Halls ( which cost just under 9K a year ) was pricey, her loan wasn't massive as we earn too much ( a fact not a Bragg ), so we have to send her money every week, but she hasn't ran out of money, shops at Lidl's ( or takes a load from our kitchen cupboards :hehe: ) they learn and they learn quick

NYCBlue
18-02-22, 12:17